Party 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

roSpEnTo

CHAPTER 1: INTO THE MISTS

There is a chill in the air tonight as the four of you make your way back into town fresh from your latest adventure. Despite the fact that everything has gone well there is still something about the night that feels slightly off-kilter to you. There is a fog that has settled down over the village of Hazelhurst which has blanketed out most of the skyline. The street lanterns give everything a vague orange haze in the near distance and where the firelight breaks through the fog it dances across the slick cobblestones on the street. It is the sort of night that keeps foot traffic to a minimum and you don't see anyone else out on the streets as you move through the village. Walking down the street you start to see your destination come into view, a large wooden framed building with a sign hanging down from above the door that reads ‘THE HORSE AND ANCHOR’.

You reach the tavern, the place which has been your base of operations for the last few weeks, and step inside relishing in the warmth and gusto of the interior that greets you in sharp contrast to the cold and chilling atmosphere outside. The ground floor of the inn is built around a huge stone fireplace and there are several tables dotted around in various stages of disrepair. A bar made from overturned ale kegs sits off to one side and a gruff halfling woman mans the post tonight. A woman you all know well by now by the name of Thera. There are several patrons deep into their cups tonight and what appears to be a small gathering of people at one of the tables near the back getting a little rowdy. It may not be much, but this is home for a lot of you.

You are all stopped before getting further into the tavern by a very large goliath bouncer that you are familiar with named Halfir Stoneblood, giving you the usual spiel you have heard many times before about how there are to be no weapons at the bar. With usual protests and jests you all handover any obvious weapons and they are placed at the side of the bar where they will be kept safe by Halfir’s massive tattooed frame. This has become your new normal given your comings and goings since you all joined up together in this very inn and you know that you will get your weapons back when you leave the main floor to go back to your rooms. You take your normal table at the bar and signal to Thera for your usual round of drinks, on the house thanks to a previous job you had all done for the tavern. You all settle down to relax for the rest of the evening and see what fresh task tomorrow brings up.

Last edited:
Drae picks up the wine that Thera dropped off at the table. While it wasn't nearly as good as the wines at home, it was the closest to the quality of home that he could get. After two months of having left Evereska and several weeks of being a bit of a renegade and running with the others, he still didn't miss the misery and grief of home. He smiled, as he examined his coin pouch. His thoughts mentally counting up how much more he needed to try and buy all the supplies for that spell his father gave him as a going away present. 'Such an arse, giving me a present and not letting me open it before I was on the road. I could have had my familiar already. It would have definitely come in handy these last few days.' Drae bitterly thought.
Looking over at the others at the table, he had strangely grown closer to them, well at least enough to know he could rely on them. Ever since he escaped from the couriers who were leading him to Daggerford, his world had changed significantly. Looking at Henry, tall and lanky, yet a beast with his weapons. Alaer, a distant cousin of the true elves hiding in the woods, was amazing with traps and daggers. Then there was the tall half breed Ezra. When he swung his battle ax or threw a javelin, you could feel the divine power of his god behind his attacks. An unusual band of individuals to group together, but he felt closer to these three than he did to most of the elves in Evereska. While he was the quiet one in the bunch, his spells had helped carry the day a time or two. Admiring his compatriots, he felt like these were the beginnings of greater things to come.
Looking at his hand, he noticed that the callouses were starting to fade. "That's not good. I need to get a sword back into my hands soon. It would not do to get rusty at this time. Well, a sword and some more spells to increase my knowledge" he quietly whispered to himself.

Last edited:
Henry accepted his typical bourbon apple sangria graciously, and took a small sip. He sighed internally; this little podunk bar never could quite get the drink right, but at least they tried. And it was free, which right now Henry was very grateful for. He missed the comfortable weight of a large gold pouch on his hip, as well as the satisfying clinks as they bounced when he walked.

He glanced over his newfound companions — he wasn’t quite sure that he could call them friends just yet — and held up his glass in the center of the table. “Cheers. To another job well done, and to many more to come.” Henry had a grin on his face as he said this, but there was still that voice inside his head that sneered with satisfaction as he began to make a name for himself, one quest at a time.

At the same table, a wood elf sips on some ale while looking around the room with a seemingly casual demeanor. He has sharp brown eyes and his long sandy blonde hair is tied in a ponytail behind his pointed ears. Despite his wood elf heritage, his style of clothing is decidedly urban. He has on a well made buttoned up leather vest and his cotton shirt and thick wool pants look tapered to fit. He wears a pair of sturdy leather boots that were made for travel, and he has on his hands a pair of leather gloves. Despite the neatness of his clothing, there are obvious signs of wear from traveling.

Those close to him or those paying attention would know that Alaer's casual glances around the room are actually careful observations. The former Waterdeep investigator has a habit of always keeping track of his surroundings because you never know when trouble might start. Alaer returns a warm smile and takes another swig from his ale as Henry raises his glass in celebration. "A job well done indeed. If only we can do something about this weather. It's been a while since we've had a night this dreary." There was definitely something off about tonight. Alaer could feel it in his gut. Over the years he's done well listening to his instincts. But since he couldn't quite figure out what was wrong, he'll just continue enjoying the drink and company for now and wait to see what happens.

Ezra entered the tavern and sat with his companions, he didn’t reach for alcohol, instead for water with fruit in it, a healthy drink for both body and spirit. He sat in the chair that groaned only slightly from the weight of him, fully armored. A sound he had become accustomed to. He sat quietly and threw a smile or wave out to other patrons, occasionally flipping the page on his small worn prayer book

"Indeed a toast to new friends and a band of kobolds that will no longer trouble the villagers around here." Looking at the wood elf, he had to admit that part of the night's success was due to Alaer spotting the signs of the kobolds in the nearby woods. Something that they couldn't address while they were out looking for Thera's son Finnan.

Alaer grins, "I'll rest easier tonight knowing those kobolds were finally dealt with. Well the free drink doesn't hurt either." As he finishes his ale, his mind starts to wander. The wood elf has found himself working with a pretty reliable group of individuals. He doesn't know how much he can trust them yet, but so far, they've shown to be at least competent in a fight. The group has settled into a routine, dealing with the villages problems during the day and coming to the Horse and Anchor to relax in the evening. Although he didn't mind this short and welcome break from journeying, Alaer knows that his time in Hazlehurst will inevitably come to an end. Maybe soon considering how bleak the weather around the village has gotten. "Does the fog usually come this heavy around Hazlehurst? Strange how the sun was shining bright on a clear day just this morning."

Thesa keeps the table well stocked with drinks, knowing by now what needs to be brought over and who takes what, as you all finally start winding down and relaxing. The crackle of the fire and the murmur of the patrons around you is comforting and familiar, especially after the night of battle with kobolds and the poor weather coming home. After a round or two you all hear the beginnings of angrier mutterings behind you from the group you all noticed coming in. If anyone turns to look it seems like one of the other patrons, a scrawny perpetually drunk man that you have seen in her every night, has gone up to the group and is loudly declaring his prowess as a wrestler. "Look 'ere lads I betcha, I saids I betcha that I can take any ones of ya. I coulds take ya with my hands behind my back but I won't because I don't wants to show ya up. Who's up for it eh?" One of the other men pushes the little man back with a sneer. "Piss off Randaf, go back to ya drinking. Go on. Get." He turns back to the rest of the group and continues chatting.

Randaf does not seem to take no for an answer as he comes back and pushes the man, his voice full of bravado as things start to get a little heated. "Fuck ya Gerreck, ya always be keeping me down. I 'ear whatcha say 'bout me. I 'ear it goods. Come on then. Ones of ya." He puffs his chest out, trying to make himself look as big as possible but he still looks like he wouldn't weigh more than ten stone wet through. This is clear when a much bigger man stands up from the group and pushes his way out to face him down, this is a farmhand you have seen occasionally although he is built more like a bull than a man and brings to mind stories you might have heard about minotaurs. He growls down at the much smaller man and then grins. "Ya want to wrestle Randaf? Okay ya fucking weed. I'll wrestle you."

At the same time as all of this is happening some of you may notice two men enter the tavern that you have not seen before. One of them is a very well dressed man in brightly coloured clothes, he has well kept hair and well trimmed facial hair. The other is bigger and scruffier, his clothes are still rich but they look slightly ill fitting and his hair is much longer and shaggier. They move up to the goliath bouncer and the smaller of the men looks over to your table and talks in hushed voices to Halfir, there is the glint of gold being handed over and Halfir gives a nod. You see the smaller man motion towards you but you all seem to lose sight of the bigger man, even if any of you look around there is no sign of him at all in the tavern. Before any of you can get up or act there is a shout from behind you as Randaf easily throws the bigger man over his shoulder and skids him five feet across the floor.

There is a hushed silence as everyone tries to process that visual until Randaf starts cheering. "I fucking tolds ya! I dids!" The bigger man gets up immediately and points a finger at the smaller man and starts shouting, his voice echoing around the tavern. "Ya fucking cheat! I know ya Randaf and ya can't lift a bag of straw let alone me. Ya cheated ya prick!" He marches up to the smaller man and swings a punch but misses and hits a man in his own group, sending him sprawling to the floor. Soon a brawl is breaking out amongst that group with curses and shouting and punches thrown left and right. Gerreck is thrown into your table, breaking it and sending your drinks everywhere. He stands up and glares at Henry in particular before he swings a punch for one of you. He misses wildly and sprawls out across the remnants of the table but it seems like you are now involved in this.

bEcKCDP.png

Alaer watches the commotion from his table with an amused look on his face while casually sipping his ale. If he let them continue on with their foolishness, their seemingly playful aggression would more than likely escalate into violence. But the wood elf didn't worry too much about it. He knew when tempers rose, it would simmer down quickly, a pattern he noticed with the shorter lived races. And besides, they were all the way on the other side of the room. As soon as that thought leaves his mind, a man crashes into their table spilling Alaer's ale all over his well kept clothing. "It never ceases to amaze me how quickly a little drink can turn humans into such rabid animals...", Alaer says with a frown as he looks down at his ale soaked clothes.

Alaer's eyes widen as a hulk of a man grabs Randaf and swings him wildly at Henry. Acting on instinct, the wood elf quickly gets up and takes a jab at the brute's face, but the man's drunken sway was enough help him avoid the hit. The big guy decides to switch tactics, dropping Randaf and grabbing a chair, and focuses his full attention on Henry. Using the man's momentary distraction to his advantage, Alaer decides to follow suit by grabbing a chair and smashing it onto the hulking fellows back causing the man to stagger. Out of no where, Alaer feels a stab of pain coming from his thigh. He looks down and notices the hilt of a knife sticking out of his leg, the man who left it there sleeping soundly on the floor beside him. Alaer grimaces as he pulls the knife out and drops it carelessly on the floor. He then picks up a fallen chair and gingerly lounges on it, "As exciting as that was, I'd rather not spend my evenings soaking in ale and bleeding."

Last edited:
‘Oh no he didn’t! Did this motherfucker just spill my drink??’ Henry stands up, ears blazing red as he looked for the instigator of this fight. Randaf was just a few feet away and Henry socked him right in the jaw, sending the man falling to the ground unconscious.

In the chaos around him, Henry also managed to spot a man wielding a knife. He turns towards the man calling out “Whoa, totally not fair, no weapons allowed in —“ Henry’s complaint and advance were both cut short by a stool that was thrown in front of him, and he could not avoid it. By the time he untangled himself from the stool, the remaining aggressive people dropped to the floor unconscious. Still in a bit of a tantrum over his spilled drink, Henry kicked the stool across the bar before finally crossing his arms and looking at Halfir “Why was there a man wielding a knife in my bar fight, Halfir? I thought you were supposed to confiscate all weapons?”

Enjoying the drink and toast, Draeric sat quietly watching the bar and listening to his fellow compatriots. He quirked an eyebrow when the nobleman came in and was even more curious when the flash of gold passed from the nobleman to Halfir. 'Interesting' he thought, as he was taking a sip of the wine. As his mind was pondering the events, Randaf a local villager started spewing gobs of trash. 'Really, you're a 130 lb drunkard. Stop embarrassing yourself.' When suddenly Randaf was throwing another farmer across the bar. Eyes squinting, he looked at Halfir. 'Why isn't he stopping this?''
As Gerreck rose to help defend his friend's honor and accusing Randaf of cheating, Draeric was getting annoyed. 'Really children? Is this truly necessary?' When Gerreck went crashing into the table the companions were sitting at, destroying the table and all the drinks. Pushing up the sleeves of his robes, he is amazed how quickly the desire to fight has grown and the number of participants climbing. A brief cry of pain and a body collapsing indicates the severity of the escalation of the fight. A man now lies bleeding on the floor.
"This ends now!" Draeric mutters as the other companions are pulled into the fight. Casting a basic sleep spell, he feels an unusual dip in the weave and the spell almost collapses as it forms, as one participant collapses, when it should have been the majority of the room. 'Now that is truly interesting, as the fact that Halfir still not engaged!'
*POP*
Stars form briefly in his eyes as Gerreck did not appreciate the efforts to resolve the fight quickly and with little to no bloodshed. "You HIT ME?" A voice raised in disbelief turned to anger "Alrighty then!". Before he can retaliate, Ezra calmly smashes his shield in Gerreck face, who then collapses into a puddle on the floor.
As the fight continues Alaer is stabbed in his leg by the uncouth cad with the knife.
Draeric is briefly torn, with wanting to blast the fool with the knife, Halfir for standing like a stupid stooge by the door pretending the fight wasn't occurring or any of the other idiots that seem determined to destroy the bar. Out of respect for Ms. Thesa and the bar, he pulls from the weave accommodating for the weird surge this time, and says "TUM SOMNUM", casting the sleep spell yet again. This time, it flares properly, while not as strong as he would have liked, it is enough to put all of the combatants asleep except for the party, Halfir and the Nobleman.

"Apologies Mistress Thera for the damages. I thought it would have been handled quicker." He then goes over and checks the knife wielder for any other weapons. "Ezra, can you see to Alaer's wound?"

Ezra steps back from the table as Henry’s beverage falls “Here we go again” he spoke in his bright baritone voice. He went to the aid of Draeric who seemed to be one of his least burly companions. Just as he was hit by the fellow known as Gerrick, Ezra reached him, while he wasn’t able to block the hit for his companion, he was able to slam his shield into Gerrick’s face, sending him to the ground with a thud. “Of course, here’s what I can do for you Alaer” he removed one of his gauntlets and placed it upon his ally’s arm, a warmth flowed from his hand into his fellows body, helping to quicken his healing process “Here we are for warmth and drink yet we find a tavern brawl, an exciting day we’ve found ourselves with.”

"Well you're not the one who had a knife stuck in him.", Alaer says with a smirk. He then nods respectfully at the paladin, "Thank you for the healing Ezra. I was starting to get light headed from blood loss." As the wood elf scans the room observing the aftermath of the brawl, a thoughtful look grows on his face. Now where are the two strangers that entered the tavern just before all of this? Usually men who dress like that would have nothing to do with a little backwater town such as this. Based on the cut of their clothing, they were definitely no strangers to coin. The smaller of the two was the picture of wealth, with how cleanly he presented himself. He's probably the one with the money considering how he initiated that quiet exchange of gold with Halfir. The larger fellow didn't look too comfortable in his fine clothes. Was he just careless? His clothes looked like they were never tailored to fit him and he could definitely use an appointment with a barber. But there was no way a man that size can disappear without notice if he was careless. Alaers sighs, "I'm starting to lose my edge. A few years ago, I would have never let some one like that out of my sight for even a moment. I would never have let someone sneak up on me and stick a knife in my leg. Well no point in dwelling on that right this moment. I'm sure we'll find out who those two are."

Halfir looks troubled at the man with the knife, his brow furrowed as he looks down to the well dressed man next to him almost as if awaiting approval. Upon receiving the slightest of nods the goliath hurries over and grabs the unconscious form of the man with the knife and lifts him to his feet. In a manner that seems half letting out frustration and half making sure to stop any more trouble the hulking bouncer rams his elbow into the face of the man with the knife and he crumples even more, dropping completely limp in Halfir's hands. With a quick and chastened glance to the well dressed man he just shrugs at Henry as if to apologise. He looks over to the bar, holding the broken knife-man and gesturing to the body of the stabbed combatant, who is lying in a pool of his own blood not moving. "What do you want me to do Thesa?"

Thesa looks exasperated, as though these issues happen a lot more than you had come to believe in your few weeks staying here. Perhaps your presence itself had been enough to deter any major issues until now. She looks over to Draeric and gives the elf a nod. "Thank you Draeric, I think you stopped it getting a lot worse than it could have been. Especially with Tomil acting the fucking fool with that knife. Chuck him in the back Halfir, we will let Garolf sort him out in the morning. Doubtless he will hang for it." She rubs the bridge of her nose in a clearly frustrated way but there is a sadness in her voice. "Then run and get the Doctor to deal with Baros' body." She ends up muttering to herself under her breath but the more perceptive of you might hear snippets. "Going to have to send his boy up to Daggerford. I know him and Tomil had their differences but I never thought..." She shakes her head and busies herself cleaning any broken glass or wood out of her bar area.

There is a slow clap from across the room as the well dressed man finally steps forward. He casually avoids any wreckage or loose chairs and steps over a number of the unconscious former patrons of the bar. With a flick of his wrist he sends a very large coin purse across the room to land on the bar in front of Thesa and she goes wide eyed at the sight of it. "My dearest bar-keep, humble apologies for any damages that may have occurred. I trust that this will be enough to refit any furniture damaged and go towards any relatives of the... unfortunately deceased that have resulted from this grisly affair." He turns to the group of you and bows deeply, clearly practiced in this sort of thing, his colourful cloak flaring out behind him. When he comes back upright his eyes lock on every single one of you in turn and then he grins. "I must say bravo indeed. You handled that very capably. Allow me to introduce myself to you all. My name is Arrigal and I have a proposition for you all."

Alaer leans forward in his chair with a curious look on his face, "A proposition for us? This should be interesting. I'm guessing the incentive is going to be coin since, in the short time you've been in this humble tavern, you've been handing out gold like a tree with fruit too heavy for its branches. What exactly do you do for a living, Mr. Arrigal, if you don't mind me asking? And you can call me Alaer."

Draeric, while definitely not the leader or even really wanting to be, flips a chair up with his foot. Turning the chair so the back faces Arrigal, and pushing apart of the split robes that cover his pants to the side, he sits, straddling the chair. Motioning to the destruction of the room and Baros's body he looks up at the man. "You couldn't have found an easier and less destructive method to try to employ us, Good Sir? And may I ask what you gave Randaf that set him off, and the extra boost of courage to finally give into his craven anger for revenge?" Running his hand over his face and through his hair, he looks over to where the tall giant had been standing. 'Hm, wonder where you sent him off to? If you going to hire a bodyguard, you should make sure he looks the part and not a country oaf, playing the part.' He then turns his head back to Arrigal. "Lastly, are you the cause of the fluxation in the weave, or was that just a particular quirk of fate to happen at the same time?" Almost as an afterthought, "Mistress Thesa, can we get another round of drinks, when you have a chance? It is truly appreciated."

Last edited:
Henry’s annoyance with the lack of bouncing the bouncer performed quickly turned to this new arrival. Henry actually had not realized that this man might be responsible for the craziness that just occurred until Draeric had connected those dots. But Henry knew better than to show this surprise on his face, so he simply turned to the man with his arms crossed and eyebrow raised. “I think you should answer this man’s” Henry gestures to Draeric “Inquiries before we hear any sort of proposition from you.”

Henry also turns to Thesa and signals to her and calls out “The usual for me please. I am simply parched after such a scrap.”

Arrigal inclines his head a little, giving a curious look to Henry and his overall demeanor and attitude. He crosses his arms and his finger taps lightly against his bicep whilst he thinks. "Well I had to see whether or not you lived up to your reputations before hiring you, I am sure you can all understand that. Due diligence is key in business negotiations." He smirks a little as he looks around the room and gives a slight shrug. "As for the coward, I did absolutely nothing to help him, I feel my brother may have given him some vim and vigor but that is all really. Sometimes all someone needs is to feel strong to gain that strength." He looks straight at Draeric and shakes his head. "That was merely bad luck I think, I am not a spell caster so I doubt that I could have any influence at all on your magic." He reaches over and pulls a new table into place.

The man reaches into his coat and pulls out a sealed letter, placing it down on the new table. He looks to Alaer and gives a sly grin. "I am in the employ of a wonderful man and I tend to run certain sorts of errands. Mostly I am a traveler when I am not delivering letters, I am part of the Vistani." He nods as though that should mean something but does not expand any further from there. He taps the letter and then there is a coin purse in his hand, rather weighty but lighter than the one he threw to Thesa. "If you are people of honour I would ask you to read the letter and aid at the first possible opportunity. Not overnight though, the woods around here can be... dangerous at night." He smiles and motions to Thesa who has been making her way over to the table with another round of drinks, placing Henry's down in front of him first of all.

Draeric runs his hand over his forehead and through his hair again as he ponders the words of Arrigal. Something tickles the back of his mind about that word...'Vistani?' *What was it? Why can't I remember?* Nodding appreciatively at Ms. Thesa as she handed out the drinks, he lightly places a hand upon her arm. "Ms. Thesa, it seems that we owe you an apology. If'n it wasn't for our being here, most of the violence of this eve could have been avoided. Those that are sleeping should wake shortly." Looking around the inn at the various bodies, in various poses of slumber. Pausing to take a sip and then wincing as the alcohol hit his cut lip, he gently dabbed it with a fingertip and then sighed. "Also Ms. Thesa, I think we need to talk to you more in-depth when the night is a bit later and the crowd much smaller. I think my comrades and I would like, nay need to know what is truly happening around here. Vistani? Creatures in the woods, Mysterious fog? I feel that this" sweeping his hand over the room before continuing "is but the beginning."
Turning to look at the other three at the table he looked them in the eye and quietly said "I think we should relax and enjoy a full drink before we open the letter and begin to discuss its business. I do not claim to be wise, but I think we should approach it with a clear mind and let the excitement of the recent entertainment fade." Reaching up, he massaged his jaw for a bit and then dabbed at the blood before taking another drink and looking at his companions.

Alaer waves a hand dismissively, "I'm not sure we're the ones that need to be apologizing. We can't control the whims of those around us especially if they're minds are often clouded by passion. And it's going to take more than this to put me in someone's debt." He leans back in his chair with a wince and eyes the letter before them. How bound to honor am I? Alaer casually grabs the bag of coins, weighing it with one hand, and tosses it in the air a few times before placing it back onto the table. "A bit light." He takes a closer look at this Arrigal. It was a hard to get a good read on him, but this was to be expected. At a first glance, Alaer could tell that there was a confidence, maybe even an arrogance, in the man's demeanor. This mysterious man seemed certain that they'd pick up the letter and do what it says. Very curious. And all this happening on a night such as this. Alaer nods to Draeric, "I wouldn't mind another drink. We're in no rush. We have the night to discuss to our heart's content." There was defintely something odd about tonight. He looks to the barkeep, "Ms. Thesa, another ale please." The wood elf looks back at the wealthy man, "You said you were part of the Vistani, Mr. Arrigal? I'm not familiar with that group. You make it sound like you deliver letters often. Are you couriers?"

Henry did not thank the man for bringing his drink, instead giving him a glare as Henry was now convinced this was all his fault. Seeing that the man dropped the letter and gold for them already, Henry leaned back in his chair. “Alright, we passed your test, you delivered your message and the payment, and we will help when we’ve got time. Now kindly piss off and let us enjoy the rest of this dreary night in peace, and wherever this ‘brother’ of your is, take him with you.” Henry continued to lean back in his chair, balancing on the back two legs while his feet were up on the table. He took a sip of his drink but otherwise turned back to his allies, dismissing the Vistani. “Any of you lot got a deck of cards?”

Instead of speaking with the man, Ezra made his way around the bar, checking up on people who had fallen into the way of the combat. Finally he came around just as the Vistani was speaking of his brother “Well, I heard what you said and you seem to be a bit of a fool, someone could’ve been hurt, hells, someone WAS hurt” he gestured to Alaer and pulled up his seat “So, we’ve just returned and another adventure has already found us? I would love to receive the man’s message”

Draeric could agree with each of his companions’ comments and views. There were other ways that the brothers could have tested the skills of the group, and while Ezra had missed it, the one farmer dead was indeed unusual. They had just wanted to relax and think about the next job…Which crashed into our table. While it might seem petty, I do want to calm down and think about the ‘new offer’ rationally. What could be significant enough in the area that it needs all of us? Not that we don’t work well together, but that seems a significant force. I mean hadn’t we taken care of the Kobolds which had seemed like the biggest problem for the region. Or at least as of earlier today. His mind repeated the words of the VIstani,…Vistani…Gypsies? Traveling rogues? I think…they would very rarely skirt the very edges of Evereska, but not allowed to stay. Neither side really wanting to interact with the other. Draeric’s mind examines the various aspects of the situation and scenario, plotting out the best move when another thought intrudes. What the hell was up with this weird fog and the Weave being out of alignment? And what creatures are out in the woods that we, a fairly strong band, can’t handle?

With a mutter and a hand gesture, a greenish-black hand appears near Draeric. It scoops up the letter and places it into Ezra's hand. Might as well let one of us find out what it says. Although Alaer definitely caught him off-guard with the counter-offer and the ‘light’ comments. That may work in our favor…

With the task complete, and the letter delivered, it floats over to the table that had been used earlier for playing cards. The hand deftly scoops up the cards from across the various spots on the table, shuffles them and then delivers the stack to Henry. His Elvin hand holding the drink, and the other rubbing his forehead. It beats being back in Evereska, I suppose. What is going on? What aren't we seeing?

Last edited:
Arrigal smirks at Alaer's weighing of the bag and gives an arrogant shrug. "Many men would consider eighty gold for merely reading a letter more than a princely sum. Clearly you are not many men. It is a pleasure being in such esteemed company." He takes his time, adjusting his sleeves and making sure his lapels are straight, before he looks to answer the question about the Vistani. "The Vistani are not couriers by trade, although we have taken that role from time to time. We are travelers as I said but some are known to dabble in fortune telling I suppose we are also known for that." He flashes a toothy grin at Alaer but there is no laughter in his eyes. "We are also known for curses."

Thesa brings another round of drinks over to the table although she seems more than a little distracted. She keeps looking over to the spot where Baros had died and biting her bottom lip. Scrubbing her hands in her apron she waves dismissively to Draedric's apology. "I told you before, it's thanks I owe you not apologies you owe me. Enough of that." She moves quickly back to the bar and pulls out some parchment and a quill, scribbling something down behind the bar. Her attention seems completely focused on that and she ignores whatever else is happening in the tavern.

Arrigal raises an eyebrow at Henry's dismissal but he inclines his head an inch, just shy of an actual nod, before turning to move off. Hearing Ezra's comment he gives a sly smile and with a flourish there is a pack of cards on the table with sapphire and gold brocade printed backs. "From a fool." He moves to the door with the smirk still on his face and looks back towards the table one last time before stepping outside. Anyone still looking at the door would see in a blink the form of the much larger man appear behind Arrigal, almost as if his shadow and leave the tavern with him. As everyone starts to wake up from their magical sleep they all move to separate tables and wait for drinks. The atmosphere now sits as damp as the night outside and only quiet whispers from the other patrons as everyone processes what has just happened. On the table sits the unopened letter, the deck of playing cards and a coin purse.

Well bloody hell, if you were going to provide a deck, I wouldn't have borrowed those from the other table! He calls out to Arrigal. Twenty gold per person for reading a letter? Indeed, that is a princely sum, a generous benefactor, and the potential to much greater monies...but what price and what hooks lie within? Looking at the other patrons waking up and trying to resume their seats, Draeric actually smiles a satisfied grin.
I know it is selfish, but with that much funds, I could purchase a sword, so that I may not lose my edge with the blade. Additionally, it would give a bit more than enough to purchase the supplies to finally summon my familiar. His eyes are drawn to the spot where Baros died, due to the knife of that snake. Additionally, Ms. Thesa mentioned that he had a son. Most unfortunate. He whispered more to himself. If I could have gotten my spell off faster, it might have prevented the tragedy, yet I can't blame myself for every pawn that falls in this game of life. I believe she mentioned that she would try to send him to Daggerford, a place that I'm not quite yet ready to go to....that is a duty that I'm not quite yet ready to assume.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back