Party 17

"They sure do sound like lovely individuals." Magnus tried his best to simply smile to the barkeep and ignore the fear that was building up inside him. "Maybe the Baron needs some help with the festival? He holds them so dearly, he will be quite happy to know more people were interested in helping them... succeed, I guess." He glanced around and added in a lower voice. "Besides, it wouldn't be wise to mingle with someone feared even by those who have nothing to fear."

Rolax had stayed quiet so far. Pondering the unusual power that been bestowed upon him.

Listening to the conversations happening around him, there still did not seem a straight and sure path to take in his mind. The Rolax of old would have stepped to the front. Dished out directions or opinions. But he knew where that had got him before. Rushing head first without thinking.

So he stayed his impulses. He thought. Then thought some more. Finally he walked to each of the group in turn and whispered the same thing quietly in their ear.

"When this quick business is done, let's talk."

He went to a table in the back of the inn. Sitting so he was facing the room, his back to the wall. He waited for the others to join him.

Thorvir blinks several times and sighs deeply. "Thank you for the information, Urwin. You've been nothing but helpful towards us. But if you don't mind, I think we'll confer in private, now."

Thorvir steps away from the bar and nods at Magnus, putting a hand on his shoulder briefly. He nods towards Ismark and Kiv, as well, and joins Rolax at his table. "What are your thoughts? Good ideas, I hope. By the sounds of the Baron and Lady, we'll need some."

ismark2.jpg"The more we see of Vallaki, the better I like risking the road to Krezk," Ismark says. "If the life of a Vallakin noble is anything like what we had in our village of Barovia, the Baron and the Lady will be bored and eager to see us dance around in whatever perverse games they play against each other. If Wachter is on the side of Von Zarovich, then I would not want to let her know Ireena is near, nor myself for that matter. However, if you wish to linger here in pursuit of a pearl, Ireena and I should be able to present ourselves with the niceties of our caste such that either the Baron or Lady Wachter will feel compelled to respond in kind, despite whatever secret contempt they hold for us as poor, backwater nobles."

"But now,"
Ismark says, getting up from his seat, "I'd like to go back to the church to let Ireena know we've returned safely and see what she wants to do next. Please join me if you wish. Perhaps the priest has some more insight into the local gentry."

Thorvir crosses his arms as he listens to Ismark's assessment. "I've heard scarcely anything of this other village you mention - Krezk, was it? At any rate, going to see your sister seems a reasonable goal at the moment since we can't seem to decide on anything else. Perhaps she or the priest will have better ideas than we do."

Magnus nodded in response to Ismark's point. "Yes, sure, the locals will always have a clearer idea of who we're dealing with. And their animosity could maybe actually lead to some easy jobs foiling the other's plans, if you are feeling brave enough for that. If you personally feel like talking to the nobles is a bad idea, Ismark, or if the priest ends up on the same note, we can head out to Krezk. Not sure how rich those parts are, but they are closer to our many possible destinations, no?" He said while mindlessly spinning the signet ring, too many options... and so many of them might end up with us hurt.. or worse.

ismark2.jpgIsmark turns even paler than usual at Petrovich's news. It seems the priest speaks of someone other than the nightmare Van Zarovich. "How is this? We have only just arrived in Vallaki. Nobody should know us here. Where are these catacombs? I will see what Ireena says." He looks around for the stairs to the undercroft.

People are after her? No, no, no... Magnus spins the pan flute around in his fingers, anxious. Did someone hear about us? Do we need to skip town right now? To Hells with my pearl, maybe we need to simply move on before something happens to one of us.... yet again. Okay, okay. Think... That can't be used for spells, at least none that I know of. With his best attempt at what would be a reassuring expression, Magnus takes a few steps towards the previously-hidden stairs. "Yes, you should give that back as soon as you can. The good news is that we now know what to do, kinda. This Izek guy definitely has some fixation with Ireena. Totally creepy and unhealthy, not even sure what might happen if she were to be found. So, there goes asking for help from the burgomaster... It'll simply create more trouble than it's worth." Despite the confident facade, his voice trembled a bit at imagining the possibilities of what might be unravelling in this town. "Unless we can find a very profitable reason to stay, we may need to move on. Unless -- a terrible idea -- we could try to speak with Lady ever-gloom and maybe she wants to thwart any of the burgomaster's plans, that might buy us some time in this chase."

"Perhaps..." as they descend, Thorvir puzzles over Magnus' idea. "The current burgomaster is maybe not the most stable person, from what we've heard. Perhaps this Lady Wachter can be reasoned with. I won't say I like that plan, but we haven't exactly come up with anything good yet. Does anyone actually know anything about this Izek?" Thorvir looks over to the others for a reply.

Last edited:
"Nothing other than what Urwin just told us. But, to be fair, I don't think the Lady will be more reasonable than the Baron. She might not have a fiery arm, but she has Baron von Sunshine on her side, which is certainly worse." Magnus covers his face in silence. "If you really feel like talking to one of the nobles, I could try to charm them with my lovely gifts of storytelling, like I did to the priest back in Barovia. It might not work, but it would be enough to make them friendly enough not to kill us immediately, at least. Or I could ask," he changes to a different and a higher-pitched voice, "Baron Lykos Zaal to inquire about an audience with either of them." He switches back to his usual tone, "both of the plans would be equally dangerous."

Thorvir crosses his arms and looks over at his companions. "Perhaps you are right, Ireena. I can't imagine you wish to stay cooped up beneath the church forever. Loathe as I am to leave town while the leaders put the common folk in harms way just to squabble with each other, I can't help but feel like getting involved would just distract us from our goals."

ismark2.jpg"Well then," says Ismark, "it looks like Krezk it is. It is the last piece of civilization I know of here in our miniature county. I don't think it's much farther than the winery was. We can set out at once if we have enough daylight remaining."

Magnus lets out a deep sigh of relief. "Yes, great, Krezk it is. If it's not too close to nightfall, we should get going. Who knows what else they have planned for Ireena if we stay here for longer than actually needed."

"I agree, we should go somewhere more hospitable. I have a bad feeling about this place and want to be clear of it. We have too much to do to be held up here."

Rolax looked around uneasily.

"I don't like not being able to face things head on. But rushing into this would be foolish, and I don't want to rish Ireena on something we are not ready for."

He paused as a thought struck him.

"Madam Eva's readings. The "knowledge" she spoke of, she mentioned the dead and a mountain of gold coins. What place matches that description other than the dead that lie beneath Castle Ravenloft? Maybe this should be the path we take"

Last edited:
Kiv, who had grown quiet on the journey recently, shook his head in surprise.

"Ravenloft? Isn't that the home of the dread lord? Do we really want to take the girl there?"

He considers what he himself had heard from the old woman. Knowledge was powerful, and his own pursuit of it had played a major role in his life. But he was far more interested in the weapon she had mentioned. A sword of sunlight.

"What about the sword? The fortune teller mentioned amber doors. Surely that points to the amber temple."

While they walk towards their destination, Magnus nodded to Kiv. "I'm afraid I agree with him on this one, buddy, lead Ireena towards Baron von Sunshine's overcompensating residence is not the brightest idea. We already found "he who lives among the vines", maybe a couple more foretold allies and we'll be ready to head to the castle." Or maybe we get lucky and something happens to him, if it is anything like the rest of the places we visited, it won't be calm and filled with rainbows. Magnus's gaze shifts to his feet, trying to hold back the signs of fear. "The Amber temple is a nice idea. Possibly our next stop, if Krezk has nothing exciting on offer."

When they finally arrive, he turns to the others and whispers. "I've got this." Then, he faced the guards atop the gate and waved. "Hey there. Great day, isn't it? Very misty. I assure you we're not looking for trouble. You know how dangerous the road is nowadays, all kinds of things ready to ambush you. We'll be simply stopping in town for some supplies, a couple of days at max. Then we'll be on our way and not your problem anymore."

Thorvir nods at Dmitri. "This is a generous thing you are doing, letting us into your village. We will not forget this kindness - please let us know if you have tasks you need assistance with, even if its just chopping wood like you mentioned." Thorvir glances at his companions and yawns abruptly. "For now, though, my companions and I are tired from the road. Have you, say, a pool we could rest and relax by for a short time? I think that would do a lot to ease our weariness."

"Your wish is our command, lord of Krezk." Magnus responds while respectfully bowing. "But, we have heard great things of such holy place in this dark land. We would love to visit it while we're in town. Afterwards, we might be able to even lend a hand to the town in some way you deem necessary."

ismark2.jpgShe had moved so quickly, by the time Ismark reacts, Ireena and the apparition are vanishing beneath the water. He cries out is alarm and rushes forward until he's waist-deep in the pool himself, calling out for Ireena and splashing around. "Where has she gone?" he shouts. "What does this mean?" The terrible voice from the heavens startles him off of his feet, and he falls down in the water, struggling against his heavy armor to get up again.

Kiv follows along with the others toward this pool, wondering what strange and awful mysteries surround this town. He watches his owl circle lazily in the sky, a dark shape against the darkening sky. Soon it would be invisible against the black, starless sky. He's too tired to switch its vision and see what it's seeing, but the strange man's voice snaps him out of his reverie.

"Tatyana and Sergei? What the f-"

It happens so fast that he doesn't try to understand it, just acts. Kiv rushes forward after Ismark, pulling his sword halfway from its scabbard as he goes, but Ireena is gone when he gets to the pool -- vanished under the surface. Ismark goes in after her, but Kiv hesitates at the edge of the water. Then thunder, a roaring voice, and blinding lightning. The dragonborn stands his ground, blinks until he can see again, and sees Ismark struggling underneath the water. The thought that he doesn't have any spare boots crosses his mind as he sets one foot in the pool and reaches out to grab Ismark and haul him from the pool.

"It's always something!" he yells, ranting to no one in particular.

As the group approaches the pool, Thorvir begins to inspect the gazebo. He doesn't even notice the voice talking from the pool, at least not at first. As Ireena is swallowed up by the waters, he shouts out, "Tatyana? What the hell is going on?"

He stands in stunned silence as lightning cracks and Ismark rushes to the pool. "Hold, Ismark! She's gone. Don't go rushing into the waters now." The half orc looks to his companions. "Anybody want to bet on who that voice behind the lightning was? I know who I'd put my money on."

Topaz rips the axe for his back and steps forward just as Ireena vanishes.

He spins looking for anything else that may be coming

"What in the hell's was that?? Where is she?"

One might think when they hear a voice from the heavens it would be that of a benevolent god, providing guidance, maybe comfort. Not some deranged, all-powerful dread lord who is more concerned with a pretty girl than ruling his kingdom. The voice, the lightning, the girl disappearing beneath the water ... it was too much. More than a few people remarked in his youth that he inherited his father's temper, but this was more than that.

From ... another place ... he watched himself draw his sword and swing at Ismark, who he had just pulled from the pond. He hacked again and again at the man, terrified he was about to kill one of the few allies he had in this cursed place. Finally the others came to his aid, stripped him of his sword, although that just provoked a blast of lightning from his frothing maw. His comrades struck him, trying restrain him, injure him, anything to stop his rampage. He punched Rolax, deflected a blow from Thorvir with a wisp of magical essence he managed to conjure, but took another blow and finally went down. As this berserk version of himself finally failed to get up, his own external vision went dim...

As soon as the lightning flashed, Thorvir felt unsteady on his feet. He passed out after telling Ismark to stay out of the water, waking only when Magnus shook him. "Wha...?"

He quickly shook his head and got to his senses. As he looked around, he immediately knew Kiv was not himself. The ranger leapt into action, one axe in either hand. As Ismark distracted their crrazed ally, Thorvir knocked his sword away!

That wasn't enough, of course. "Kiv! Listen to me! By the spirits, I'm sorry..." He slashed into the dragonborn's hide over and over until he dropped like a sack of potatoes to the floor.

With Kiv unconscious, Thorvir quickly looks over at his companions. "Let's get him into the gazebo at least. Come on, someone help me carry him over."

Users who are viewing this thread