Party 17

They quickly go back to the coffin maker and the smell of blood reaches them, even outside of the building. "I guess the guards weren't prepared for this as much as we thought. We wouldn't have a bigger chance outnumbered, five versus six might seem fair if you ignore the bloodsucking envoys of death part. Let's follow one of the leads the fortune teller gave us." As Magnus starts walking back, he sees Rolax hesitate about leaving the undead alone. "C'mon buddy. We'll get back to them when we get stronger or gather more allies, I promise you. We need to start moving towards our goal of fighting von Shadow-lord."

Thorvir looks conflicted. His eyes dart quickly between Magnus and the coffin maker's shop, now drenched in the blood of what could be assumed to be the guardsmen.
"Damn it, Magnus. Once more I think you're judgement is sound. If we go in there, it's going to be our deaths. I won't let their sacrifice go to waste, but we can't just throw away our lives like this either."

Rolax gripped his Axe and snarled. The red mists falling before his eyes.

These men had been killed for trying to protect their people. He thirsted to bury his Axe blade into the ones that had done this.

Internally he was struggling. Walking away from a fight was not in his nature. But this fight would mean the deaths of himself and his comrades.

Hearing Magnus' words, he turned "We will return and place their heads on spikes. I do not like it. But we would be throwing our lives away for nothing. I've never been a bigger picture kind of person, but we have to leave on this occasion... But we will return and kill them all when we can."

He threw his Axe over his shoulder and walked away with the group.

Kiv watched most of the rest of the afternoon's proceedings in grim silence. Magnus had told him they could not leave this strange land, and the information weighed heavily on him. The houses, the trees, the very sky seemed to wrap him up in a smothering blanket. No way to leave... He intended to liberate the Snail's head from his shoulders when ... if he ever returned to Daggerford.

So as they sat at the inn, surrounded by most of this lander's miserable denizens, he felt hopelessness, and nothing else. But then a cheerful, whimsical voice reaches his ears. A half-elf, dressed like some sort of clown, told unbelievable stories to the patrons. But it was the half-elf himself that Kiv found most unbelievable. Clearly this man was not native to this land.

Kiv stood up and marched over to him. "You, storyteller. How did you end up in this forsaken place?"

Magnus joyfully sat at the bar, witnessing the taproom fill up and thankful for finally getting back to a familiar environment, even though this is a different land, a tavern is a tavern. When the two nobles stumble upon their table, the half elf slides his signet ring back to his finger and tries to signal the drunken brothers that he would not be charmed by the stories of two nobles no one has ever heard about.

He considers doing his usual: telling some tales and trying to make some easy coin. But, that other half elf got that covered, so he occasionally glares his way displeased that he won't be able to profit that night.

He turns to the rest of the group that might be still sitting on the table, and speaks in a low tone. "Hey, I think I'll try to do as the barmaid suggested and ask the hunters to guide us. Although, our odds might be better if a warrior asks them, they'd know that I'm outta my usual element."

Thorvir narrowly dodges out of the way of one of the drunken noblemen... was it Nikolai or Karl? He couldn't care less at this point. Trying and failing to catch his tipping mug of ale, Thorvir sighs defeatedly. He nods at Magnus' suggestion, eager to find any excuse to get out from between the two drunkards.

In as cheerful a voice as he can muster, he says, "Another round, My Lords? I'll go fetch the ale for you." He slides out deftly from their flailing arms, motioning for the others to follow.

ismark.jpgSensing the mood of his new companions, Ismark feels it only right that he should intercede. As Kiv and the others slip away, he introduces himself to the brothers Wachter as heir to the recently-deceased Burgomaster of Barovia Village and enters into a dreary discussion of lineages, the keeping up of estates, and the perennial subject of finding good help, fully prepared to suffer the arrogance of big city attitudes towards a backwater noble like himself.

Rolax finds a seat where his back is to the wall. Nursing his Ale, a deep scowl across his face.

A low constant growl is coming from him, but it is drowned out by the general noise at the bar.

His angry stare turns to the two drunk lordlings until Ismark took their attention.

Draining his tankard, he stands and walks towards the hunters with Magnus.

"I am Rolax, this is Magnus. I understand you two are Szoldar & Yevgeni?" Pulling up a chair he sits opposite them. "We had a run in with some wolves on our journey here, and I hear that the decorations on the way into town are your doing? You have chosen a tough profession. After our fight, I have no wish to tangle with them any time soon."

Rolax indicated to the Barmaid to bring a round of drinks.

"I'll cut to it. We seek guides. And you two look more than capable of handing where we need to go and what we need to do. I will warn you. We stand in direct opposition to Strahd and his allies. Now, what would you want out of any deal we make?"

Kiv holds the door open for this strange half-elf, ready to follow him outside the inn. A monkey named Piccolo? This was surely an odd fellow.

"You're a cheerful sort," Kiv says with a grimace. "My name is Kiv. I was in a home that collapsed, possibly killing two of my companions, and woke up on the side of a road." The dragonborn's eyes sought out his owl, seeing its wide eyes glowing from the edge of the roof. He tries to peer into the darkness for whatever else might be lurking out there, thinking of the vampires, and musters arcane energy into his shield, causing it to glow. "What is this festival? This doesn't seem like a particularly joyful town."

Seeing the figure standing in shadow, Kiv slips into his familiar's senses as it perches on a nearby branch. "Well that's... strange," he says, eyes appearing blank and lifeless, then shifting back to his own senses. "That guy looks an awful lot like the innkeeper. Maybe a brother?"

Last edited:
Magnus's heart skips a beat as the eight figures walk out of the tree line, his hand goes halfway to his rapier before he catches himself doing it and stops. "Yeah, sad to hear that. Urwin sent us to pick up the last wine shipment that never arrived, but the vineyard is currently controlled by dark druids?" He arches an eyebrow and sighs, "first vampires, and now dark druids! It sounds like we can't get a day of rest in this gods-forgotten place." "Well, we can lend you a hand, right guys? I'm not the best at fighting, but we'll do our best to rid your land of the dark druids, whoever they might be."

"You will fight with us to secure your birthright?" Kiv asks, scowling. He normally enjoyed the rain, but here it only chilled his scales. Fighting was always a good way to warm up. "Tell me where these druids lie. I don't like surprises. I'd rather get a look at them first." He nods to his owl, while flaps its wings and takes flight.

"Huh, I thought druids were supposed to be the helpful type."

Thorvir stretches his shoulders and lazily draws his axes. "Let's do this then, aye? No sense wasting time when we've got our steel to speak for us."

Rolax rolls his shoulders "Well, I've brought my Axe a long way, it would be a shame to not put it towards some honest work"

After Kiv's familiar gave them the layout of the place, they got ready to storm inside the winery. The first few rooms were cleared easily enough, with Magnus sticking to the back of the group, knowing very well he wasn't the most resilient of them. The last druid found managed to almost run away, and before being killed gave the blights the final order to advance. The bard quickly picked up the staff as he heard the many plant creatures approach from the outside.

He quickly analyzed the artifact and recognized that it could be used to stop the blights, or as perfectly fair-obtained loot. It was not a hard choice, although he would deny if asked about it later. Snapping out of the staff's influence, he looked around and see his nobility-inclined friend struggling to barricade the door and tried to attract them away from it with a perfectly executed melody played from his pan flute. It turns out, plants don't have very good taste in music and thoroughly ignored his perfect presentation.

Rude. Trying to find anything better to target their enemies with, Magnus saw Rolax throwing bottles on those that were swarming the entrance he was guarding. He swiftly climbed the support beams, holding a few bottles himself, and got those poor twigs even more disoriented due to the multiple-front attack. After being done exhibiting his many tricks, he warned Ismark to get their attention and sneaked past the rest of the swarm that was still standing to flank them and thin out their numbers.

After these many desperate tricks pulled by the group the druid was pinned down as the last few blights were taken care of. "Buddy, that was almost a really good plan I gotta tell you. Unfortunately, we got the upper hand in the end. Now let's hope the von Raven family doesn't have anything planned for you."

ismark2.jpgOnce the siege begins, Ismark does his best to help out, but nothing seems to go his way. He's well trained with his blades, but a life as the son of a minor noble in the smallest village of a moribund land hasn't prepared him for the sort of innovations and wily maneuvers that his new companions are practiced in. He's also distracted with thoughts of his sister Ireena back in the big, unfamiliar town of Vallaki. How trustworthy is that priest, really?

In the end, Ismark looks to the strange mummer Magnus for suggestions on how he can be useful, and that certainly goes better than his solo endeavors. When the winery is secured and the plant creatures in retreat, he looks for a corner to sulk in. Maybe one of these barrels still contains something potable.

As the ravens took to the air, Thorvir rushed in just behind Rolax, covering his assault. The Druid, he thought, recognizing the one who was 'activating' the twig beasts. With an axe in either hand, he fought tooth and nail against the druid, but not before the swarm of twig monsters started chasing them down. As the druid sprinted through the corridors of the winery and made his way upstairs, Thorvir followed like a hungry wolf on the tail of its next kill. Just as Thorvir closed the distance, the dark druid catapulted off of a railing and landed on the ground floor, not missing a beat and continuing to flee. Muttering a curse under his breath, the half-orc followed, launching onto the druid and driving his axe into the spellcaster's shoulder. The blow wasn't lethal, but the druid was slowed enough that Kiv and Ismark could finish the blighter off.

"I hope you know what you're doing with that thing!" he shouted at Magnus, now wielding the twisted staff. Thankfully the bard looked like he knew what he was doing. As Rolax smashed plant after plant that came near, Thorvir tied a hasty knot around two pieces of furniture, making a jerry-rigged tripwire. It wasn't pretty, but it did the job and bought the group precious seconds needed to keep moving and surviving. Just as everyone made it upstairs, the ranger found a large wardrobe and pushed it to block the doorway. That didn't last long, however, and the wine-soaked blights soon started scrabbling at the party's feet. Thorvir and the others held them off with torches and blades, but the end seemed to be looming over them.

But just as their fates seemed to be sealed, Kiv spotted a shape through the window - the other druid! Rolax leapt out to kill the puppeteer, but landed just short. The druid now alerted, Thorvir took his chance where he saw it. He hucked his torch into the crowd of twigs with a grunt, and pulled out his old longbow, stiff from not having been used in some time. With Kiv spotting for him, however, Thorvir was able to pin the druid down and disarm him with a well-placed arrow, sending the few remaining blights running!

Wiping the sweat off his brow and breathing in deeply for the first time, Thorvir said, "Well, that could've been worse."

Quickly they burst through the door.

Taking down the first druid with ease.

Rushing up the stairs Rolax charged and hacked at another druid.
Together they put an end to her before looking for more.

Rolax roared and took a couple of swings but the druid slipped out of their grasp and leaped to the lower level.

Before being silenced, he managed to cast a spell.

The noise of the approaching blights grew louder.

Rolax looked around at his comrades and set himself in the door.

As the blights started to pile through, he hacked, bit and tore at them. Using his body to block them.

Roaring in rage he threw bottles and anything he could get his hands on.

He ran up to the top level and spotted the druid controling the blights.

He paused and said a silent prayer to Ilmater. "Give me the strength to fight. The strength to keep standing while I suffer for offers"

With that. He charged at the window.
As he was about to leap, his vision flashed "You have that strength. Route out the evils of this world"

With his vision returning, he felt a holy energy fill him alongside his rage.

Unfortunately this caused him to miss step. And as he leaped, he knew he wasn't on target.

Crashing through the window, he flew through the air. Landing short of his target.

He looked up at the druid. Ready to take a hit. But before the druid could react. Someone behind Rolax snuffed him out.

He turned and looked at the energy fade between his fingers.

Thorvir nods at the old man's words, a mix of determination and relief crossing his face. They had accomplished much, and yet so much more remained undone...

"Thank you for the kind words, Davian, but we were only able to drive these fiends off with the help of you and your flock," the half orc mutters at the wereraven elder. "I think we should take some time to recover and then set out for Berez; the sooner we can get these stones back the better. Unless the rest of you would rather return to Vallaki for supplies first...?" He trails off, seemingly doubtful that this is the best course of action.

The ranger studies the barrels for a moment, noting the splattered grapes and splintered wood around them. His eyes fall again on the old raven, and an eyebrow raises. Thorvir's rust-colored eyes flicker with realization and widen, and he hurriedly adds to the party, "When we've a moment, let me speak with you all."

Magnus heard Davian explain what happened to the winery and during the druid attack. "Sorry to hear that. What he says is true," he nodded to the half orc, "we'll try our best to bring all the stones back to you. But first, we noticed the old windmill on our way to Vallaki, y'know, the one infested with fiends obviously. Any word or story about that place? Other than the obvious warning not to walk to our deaths." He turned around to face the rest of the group. "I wouldn't mind stopping by the town first. I realized I need to obtain a pearl for one of my spells." Stupid! You should have gotten that before we left.

He shook his head and focused back on how he could actually happen in the current situation. "Sure, buddy, whatever you want."

Thorvir raises an eyebrow at the old raven's mention of night hags. "Huh. I always thought those things were tales told to scare children. But I guess at this point we've seen some things that would qualify for tales. Perhaps we'll head there and rid the place of those creatures after some preparation."

As the group of travelers returns to the Bluewater Inn, Thorvir picks a moment when they are left relatively alone to bring up something that had been eating away at him for some time. He clears his throat and begins in a low voice.

"So, I had a thought about the winery. Madam Eva charged us with finding several 'keys' to completing our quest against this Strahd. Do you remember the fourth thing she mentioned? She told us to find 'the leader of the feathered ones among the vines'. Who could that be but Davian? The patriarch of a family of ravens who runs a winery?" He pauses a moment to let the thought sink in. "It sounds like Davian thinks we need more experience to help with his problems. But I think we'd be fools to forget about him."

Magnus found himself shaking nervously once again while the Davian explained what was in that building and quickly shoved his hand inside a pocket. Wow... I'm glad we didn't do anything extremely dumb this time around... Left speechless, the half elf just nods in agreement and follows the others back to town with the wine shipment.

Once inside the Inn and freshly paid for the job well done, Magnus listened to what Thorvir had to say excitedly. "That's surely it, she gave us all sorta clues and leading us to a guy that would lead us further to other stuff is exactly what a seer would do. Especially one that actually sees the future instead of the common party-trick variant." Magnus glanced worried to the innkeeper and lowered his tone. "Even though we can't actually follow the merry band of scarecrows back to their villainous leader, maybe we can still find out something about the first stone that our former employer managed to lose... Just saying it's worth a shot." He laid back on the chair and sized up the coin pouch they just received for the delivery. "On a less excited note, y'know the pearl I mentioned? The one that would help us size up any magical treasure we stumble upon? Yeah... I can't actually afford it if we divide that equally..."

ismark2.jpg "Pardon," Ismark asks one of the Martikovs who run the Bluewater Inn, "but would you happen to know if anyone in Vallaki might have jewelry or fine baubles to sell? It seems one of my friends wishes to purchase something pretty."

Magnus takes Ismark's lead and walks up to Urwin with a big smile. "Hey, friend. How's it going? I'm pretty sure you must be really happy with the wine shipment and everything. We did talk to your family while we were getting that for you. Charming folk, right? They, however, might have mentioned something about a certain stone and you had something to do with that." The half elf leans forward and lowers his voice a little. "I'm fairly sure that couldn't have been the whole story right? You run such an outstanding business here in town, it doesn't line up with the way your folks talked about you. I think it's always nice to hear both sides of the story, right?"

Thorvir raises a hand in peace. "Of course, Urwin. We mean no offense. But what can you tell us about the burgomaster and this Lady Wachter? I don't think we've heard too much about them thus far."

Users who are viewing this thread