Party 16

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cassandra nods at Varius. She can already feel the watchful eyes around them. It is an all too familar and unwelcome feeling. "Definitely. There was...a Burgomaster, right?"
The half elf considers for a moment, then rummages through Faria's things before remove the sealed letter. "Hopefully this will still do the trick, though with how people are reacting I wonder. Anyway, if this Burgomaster is in charge, he'll have the biggest house, right? So we should probably check there," she adds, gesturing to the large building with now ooen doors.

The villagers watch from all around as you make your way across the clearing to the larger building. People whisper to each other, but not so quietly that a few choice phrases don't stand out:

"So that's what he's been doing up there, making pale elves."

"Didn't quite finish up with that one. The arm still tells."

"I don't care. Abbey-tainted."

"More demands for the Baron to deal with."

With about sixty feet remaining, something wet and fist-sized hits Varius in the back of the head. Cold juice drips down his neck. Someone hiding in the crowd has thrown a ripe tomato. There are gasps, as well as giggles from all around. It's impossible to say who launched the missile.

From here you can make out the person standing in the doorway. He's an adolescent human boy, quite handsome, dressed in fine clothing. His collar rises almost comically high around his face. He lifts a hand to beckon you forward. When you are at the threshold, he nods and says, "Hello. You have not come down before. Did your friend slip and fall on the way?"

You notice that an adult woman who shares the boy's dark complexion and wears similar gray and white clothing is standing father inside the entryway. She smiles to herself as he talks to you. "And who are you?" she prompts him. The boy looks flustered before regaining his composure and saying, "Welcome to the Burgomaster's residence, visitors from the Abbey of Saint Markovia. I am Ilya Krezkov. Please accept our hospitality and accompany me to the study." He stands back and bids you enter.

"Welcome," says the woman waiting inside. "I am Baroness Krezkova. We are honored. How can we help your fallen companion?" Her son closes the door behind you before going into a brief coughing fit.

"She just needs somewhere to rest and recover. Medical attention as well, if possible, but as her wounds are not physical, we may just have to wait for her to heal on her own terms. Meanwhile, as you seem to be far more hospitable than the rabble out there, I am hoping you may be able to answer some questions we have."

baroness-krezkova.jpgThe Baroness takes you to a modest sitting room, where Faria can be laid down on a chaise lounge. Windows look out on the commons, where some villagers still linger. The Baroness tells Ilya to return to his studies, then closes the room's door and draws the curtains.

"What do you think," she asks, indicating Faria, "a damp cloth for her head? Even if we had physick, your ... even in these remarkable new forms, your bodies, I think, are different from ours are cannot take the same medicine. It might be worse than doing nothing."

She sits down, looking quite serious. "I hope Zygfrek is well. When they told me we had visitors from the Abbey, I expected it would be her as usual. Please give her our best."

"Now what are these questions the Abbot has for us? We will help all we can, but this is novel. He is more often making requests, which we are of course honored to grant."

Cassandra gains a little ease as the group enters the house. The townsfolk had been far from welcoming, and the less prying eyes the better.
She funbles with the letter in her hand briefly before offering it to the Baronness. "The Abbot gave us this letter to help explain things. We're looking for somebody who might know us, to help us understand our..." she pauses for a moment, wondering what word could adequately summarize what thwy had been through, "...odd situation. The Abbot said the Baron would be the best person to help us."

"Is your son quite alright, Ilya? You seemed concerned with his cough. Truth be told..." Astryos tries to recall if he remembers ever having been sick. He's not sure, "...well, I lost my trane of thought. You seem to recognize us. How is that so? This place is unknown to us. We are rather unknown to one-another."

baroness-krezkova.jpg"The Baron is occupied just now," Baroness Krezkova says, "but I will help you if I can." She takes the letter from Cassandra, unseals it and begins to read. She exclaims to herself a few times, and pauses now and then to look up at you. When she has finished, she folds it back up, places it on a table and chuckles.

"Well, that is certainly the Abbot's style. I wish he would have come down himself so I could explain where matters stand."

"From what I gather of his letter, the four of you are of a sort we have seen before: travelers from a distant land who have been in some way transported to Barovia and are now trapped here with the rest of us. Is this true? It would be most unusual, in large part because in the past, travelers have come to the gates of Krezk seeking passage up to the abbey—they always wish to consult the Abbot, you seebut never have any made their debut in our village by coming down the mountain trail. This is why we thought you were some new creations of the Abbot's. We know the Washems descend from the elves, and most of you have these pale elven features, or..." She looks at Varius' monstrous arm and raises one eyebrow.

"You ask about someone in Krezk knowing you, but I have certainly never seen you before, and I can't imagine anyone else has either,"
she says in answer to Astryos' question. "It is an odd query, since you are no doubt from far away. What makes you think your faces could be familiar?"

"And where will you go when your friend has recovered? Back to the abbey? I can compose a response to the Abbot for you to take with you. It is fortunate you have his hospitality; our small community is unable to accommodate travelers. Most of them settle in the town of Vallaki to the east. If you were with friends before the mists claimed you, and became separated, you might find them there. Of course, if you do go to Vallaki, I will leave orders at the gate for you to be let back in if you return. We will not bar the Abbot's guests from traveling up the mountain."

"Oh, and you needn't worry yourself about Ilya. I'm certain it's just a cold."

"Well, the man with the hens. The way he spoke to us was very...familiar. He acted as though we should have known all about Kresk, as though we had been here before. Or that we have lived here, perhaps." The elf shrugs his shoulders, his eye brows raise in a tired-of-it manner, and lets out a small sigh, "Well, where we go from here...We had not discussed that. Perhaps there is some work that we can do for you here? It sounds as though you are very discriminate with whom you let in and out of your walls. Are there bandits or some such outside that you are trying to keep out?"

baroness-krezkova.jpg"You are talking about Chicken Ivan?" asks Baroness Krezkova. "I imagine he thought like we all did that you were some of the abbey folk, the Washems, transformed to look more ... typical by the Abbot's craft. They do come down sometimes on abbey business. They are, of course, always welcome."

"If you really do wish to be of assistance, to us and your patron the Abbot, you will follow up this matter he asks us about, the wine that is overdue." She gestures to the letter on the table. "There is a place south of here called Wizard of Wines that sends wine to all the towns and villages of Barovia. But they have not made their latest delivery. The Abbot says he must have his wine. Going to Wizard of Wines to see what is the holdup is the only way to get it, I think. Either that or we just continue to wait. But I will warn you, it is very dangerous out there in the valley. That is why we have these walls: vicious wolves, the Forest Children, the Vistani who are servants of Count Strahd, and stranger things."

"The other matter your Abbot writes about, I think I have something that will do. I will wrap it up and you can either take it back to the abbey now, or whenever you are returning."

"Wine?" Astryous chuckles with smirk, "It must be quite dangerous if none here will perform the reconnaissance. Who is the Wizard that runs the winery? Who is it we should speak with once there?"

Baroness Krezkova's opens her mouth a bit, surprised that you're actually considering going on this errand to the winery. "Do not take it so lightly," she cautions Astryos. "Every journey outside the city walls is a hazard here. Many go their entire lives without leaving this place, but it will only take you a few hours to reach the winery on foot. You will just go east along the Old Svalich Road for a bit and then southwest at the crossroads. You will see the signs with the wizard."

"The winery has been in the Martikov family for several generations. All of Barovia depends on them to ease our sorrows. I marvel at how it takes just a small taste of the sweet life to keep our people going year after year. And who is this so-called Wizard of Wines? I don't know. The Martikovs are not mages. You can ask old Davian Martikov when you get there."

The Baroness looks the four of your over and frowns. "If you are really doing this, you should be better equipped. We can spare some cuirasses and bows from the armory. Those might make the difference if you run into trouble along the way."

The half elf frowns. Considering the peril they had faced while in the alleged safety of the abbey, the prospect of dangerous roads don't sound reassuring. SHe feels the weariness left in her body from the encounter with the strange shadows. The familiar voice leaked into her mind again, but she pushes the thought aside. Now was not the time to get caught up in musings. "We'd appreciate any help you would offer, but we should probably wait to decide what we're doing until our friend is up and about again," Cassandra replies to the Baroness.

Faria seemed to breath easy in and out as she was carried. It was clear she was going to pull through but her dreams had become more vivid as she had been carried down from the Abbey. She occasionally had mumbled something half heartily while in Varius arms before being put down to rest. She seemed to rest peacefully there for a time....

Faria traveled along the forest with her companions marking small cuts into the wood as they had been taught to signify passage, or signs of danger in the area. She looked over to Elledris who had his bow at the ready in case they ran into trouble. His hands seemed tense for some reason she noted as they moved slowly over the next hill of brush. The Zhentarim had been seen more active in the foot hills near the edge of Cormanthor. The small group of four had traveled for a few days outside of town fairly close to the border of where the Zhentarim claimed their land started in regards to Daggerdale. They had been sent to investigate why there was an increase in activity in this area and were not to engage or hopefully leave much of a trail to signify they had passed through.

Passing a tree she spotted a mark and paused, causing Elledris to quickly glance in her direction. His quizzical look asked if she had spotted an enemy or something serious. Faria pulled out a dagger and pointed it towards the tree. Looking around briefly he took the half dozen strides to close the distance between them before looking at where her dagger was pointed. He frowned for a moment.

“Potential danger? Not Zhentarim. What do you think Darin meant by that,” asked Elledris keeping his voice low, but willing to speak now that they were so close. Faria shrugged in response. “He’s fairly vague when it comes to leaving these, by Tymora’s luck I almost missed this one.”

“I’m still not sure it was a good idea to split up in the first place. I used to live in these woods, and there’s more dangers out here than just Zhentarim soldiers,” said Elledris a hint of concern lacing his voice. Faria frowns a bit before nodding.

“Darin and Felise, though we could cover more ground this way and return much sooner from our mission. It’s not like we haven’t broken into pairs to operate before,” said Faria noncommittally. Elledris looked around nervously before looking back to Faria and staring directly into her eyes.

“Tell me why they haven’t checked in yet then?”

She had no answer from him. Just like when he has asked it a few hours ago, and it was also something that was beginning to nag at the back of her mind. She was supposed to lead this team, so she couldn’t doubt decisions now. “They found something, I’m sure of it and knew we’d follow their signs to catch up.”

“Yeah…. Probably complaining about why we haven’t caught up them right?” he said his tone turning more like the light hearted elf she knew. She smiled in return clapping him on the shoulder, before switching to their native tongue.

“Lets see if we can sneak up on them shall we? A little scare never hurt anyone,” said Faria a grin spreading, which was soon mirrored by Elledris. She failed to notice it soon fall away as she began moving, nor the furtive glance Elledris gave over his shoulder as she pressed forward.

Faria bolted up straight reaching out with her hand before she knew where she was. “Elledris no!” she called out in Elven before seeing she wasn’t in the forest. She held her head for a moment shaking the nightmare from her mind. ‘Don’t think about that time, just press on.’ She gave a look at the others examining their looks and the new lady. “So I guess that wasn’t a dream.”

She took a moment to compose her memories of where she was and how she had gotten there and failed to come up with a reason why they were in a much nicer looking setting. "I remember the Shadows... and... Sharath the Abbott. Is he OK? Varius you came into the room before..." started Faria but her mind only remembered cold after that. "Forgive me, I'm probably not speaking much sense at the moment. Did I hear you had something for Sharath for us to bring him? I assume that means we aren't at the abbey anymore."

'How long did I was I out... and what exactly happened back at the Abbey. Sharath had looked very drained, and no doubt those creatures were dangerous. I'm sure Varius and the others took care of them.' She frowned at that thought, for she had not been very useful in that fight, something that she was not entirely used to.

Cassandra jumps a little at the elf's sudden proclamation. She doesn't know what the rogue had been dreaming about (or who Elledris was), but it certainly seemed like a problem for later. "Glad to see you're doing alright," the half elf says. "You were...looking pretty rough for a while there." For a moment she prepares to explain just what happened, but pauses for a moment. At the time she was focusing on getting out as soon as possible, but now...Whoever that person was upstairs in the Abbey is dead. It was probably the Abbot. But these people seem to be helping us because of him. While the monk would like to hope for altruism, she can't quite shake the thought that the baroness's helpfulness might change with news that the Abbot had perished.

Cassandra takes a breath, then looks to the Baroness. "When we were getting ready to leave the Abbey some shadows started attacking. The Abbot was already very tired from helping us earlier, but we managed to deal with them. The Washems told me they'd be able to handle things when we left." She does her best to word her explanation carefully, hoping that her glaring omission wasn't too obvious.

She turns to Faria. "The Baroness was just explaining that there have been wine shipments that haven't been arriving. From the Wizard of Wines. Asteryos suggested that we could go look into it. On the other hand, apparently it doesn't look likely that anyone knows us around here. We might have more luck in...Vallaki?" Cassandra questions, hoping she remembered the name right.

Faria put a hand to her head for a moment at hearing no one knew them, though she hadn't expected any humans to know, there was still a chance they hadn't been dead that long. She shook her head. "Odds are that no one in Vallaki will remember us either," says Faria as she thinks back to the brief visions she had back when they had been at the Abbey. She had been a companion of St. Markovia at one time, no doubt that was a time long past. "We can definitely take a look into the... Wizard of Wines was it?"

She let the words hang in the air for a moment trying to recall if any of that sounded familiar. Deciding she had no clue what it was she shrugged and shifted into a sitting position on the couch. 'Well they... saved me I guess? Can't be a bad idea to stick around them a bit longer until we figure all this out. I'm still curious about this Count though. Seems our fates are intertwined somehow. If Tymora wills it, I'll probably run into him sooner rather than later. Hopefully whatever curse Sharath was talking about is a bit exaggerated.'

"Before we go, we should take whatever it is the Baronness wants to the Abbott before we leave. Is there any tavern here that offers a good strong ale that you could recommend Baronness? I could use something to dull my head a bit," says Faria as she stands up walking over to the other's table.

baroness-krezkova.jpgBaroness Krezkova's expression clouds and falters as Cassandra describes the recent events at the abbey. "You might have led with this news," she says. "The Washems 'handling' things without the Abbot's guidance is not a pleasing prospect."

Turning to Faria, she explains, "We are a small, self-sufficient community. We do not have places that would cater to the needs to travelers and the outside world. No inns, no taverns, no trading post. However, since I can see you were nearly laid low, I can offer you a bit of the brandy we have left."

The Baroness gets up and opens a nearby sideboard. Her hand is shaking a bit as she brings over a bottle labeled "Old Jax". She is going back for glasses when a series of cries go up from out in the town square, as it were. "What now?" she asks, and walks over to the window to peer through the closed curtains. Her shoulders fall. "No!" she exhales. She turns to look at the four of you, an expression of absolute terror on her face. "I am sorry, but I have great responsibilities. I cannot protect you."

The Baroness opens the sitting room door and walks briskly out into the hall, leaving you here alone with the unopened bottle of brandy. "Ilya! Dmitri!" she calls from elsewhere in the house. Heavy footsteps from the upper floor sound through the ceiling of the sitting room.

"Thank you for your hospitality Baroness," says Faria as she accepts the Old Jax labeled bottle and then at the Baroness' sudden fear and departure she looks to the others before going to the window and gazing out. Three people had just arrived, and apparently put many of the people outside on edge. First thing she notices is Bella holding someone in chains. She notes that it must be another person from the Abbey, before her eyes fall upon the man with her. "Looks like Bella is out there with... the Count I believe. I've.... seen him before."

His sharp facial features are at once both captivating and discomforting, as Faria finds herself having to tear her eyes away to address the others. "Nobles usually don't like having to wait so I think we should go and meet this Count that we are supposed to help. At least Sharath seemed to think it was the only way we would get out of this land," said Faria reminding them of the only thing close to a mission they had been given. 'Maybe he knows of us? Or knows of a way to restore our lost memories?'

Faria started for the door from the window. At last they were about to get to the bottom of their situation, and then they could inform Sharath that they had at least met with the Count, and give their impressions of him.

"The Count?" Cassandra involuntarily takes in a sharp breath. Her chest begins to feel tight, she can practically hear the cracking. This is bad, really bad. If her vision was anything to bwlieve, they were already in plenty of danger. But with Bella out there...He might know what happened to the Abbot. Whatever happened to the Abbot. The half elf cant help but imagine them shouldering the blame. And if that was the case.

Beginning to shake at the thought, the monk moves forward quickly, placing a hand on Faria to stop. "Wait," she says, with a hurried quiet tone. "I dont think this is a good idea. Didn't you hear the Baroness? She cant protect us. So she must think theres something terrible waiting for us out there. And if the Count is out there I agree with her. We need to run. Or hide." The half elf cannot hide the nervousness in her voice, the images playing in her mind again and again.

Faria frowned for a moment stopping trying to puzzle out Cassandra's worry. Yes there might be some danger involved with meeting the count but the choice was firmly outside of their control. 'Besides, he must know of our pasts. He's our best shot at restoring our memories. Are the others so afraid to find out?' she thinks to herself before speaking. "Cassandra, take a deep breath and think. She cannot protect us which means we cannot hide here, she would not lie for us and say that we are not here. I would tell my Lord Mourngrim back in Daggerfalls where I had seen or sheltered newcomers to town."

Faria placed her own hand on Cassandra's shoulder to return the gesture. "Running isn't an option either, Bella is with him meaning she must have gone to get him specifically. No doubt Bella is just trying to help us, much like the Abbott. The Count hasn't attacked the Abbey nor the Abbott so he cannot be all bad and Sharath believes him to be redeemable despite whatever his past mistakes are. If you are concerned I will go out to meet him and you can stay here," says Faria giving her a reassuring grin. "If anything bad were to happen then it would give you a head start yeah? I doubt it will come to that."

She gives Cassandra a wink before dropping her hand from her shoulder and looking at the other two. "Any other objections? As I see it, this long lived lord is our best shot in remembering the past, and I'd rather not pass up this chance," she says before turning back for the door.

Last edited:
"Faria," Astryos says with a tinge of concern in his voice, "You were at death's gate just a moment ago. I think the best thing for you before we go to meet any Lord's is for you to rest. Don't you agree?" He turns his attention to the Baroness, "I do not mean to impose upon you, Ms Krezkova, but we are without any coin and thus have no means for a room at an inn. Might we spend the evening here under your roof before we set out on our various quests?"

Faria shrugs at the mention of her being at death's door. She didn't remember it save for being very cold, and she felt well enough now. Maybe like she was getting over a fever but she had worked much worse conditions out in the wilderness. She suppresses a shudder that comes with those thoughts. Why is everyone so afraid? We're back from the dead, and I get they aren't in a hurry to return to that eternal slumber but inaction will get us killed just as well.

"I've been through worse, and I'm not convinced staying in this building is going to save us from notice. The Baronness said she can't protect us, that means hiding us. So I'd rather face my problems head on, and right now the most irritating thing is my lack of memory. I don't know for certain we knew each other in life, though I for some reason have stronger feelings of camaraderie with Varius here. So you don't really owe me anything, but I thank you for your concern," said Faria stopping in the door way to the room. "If you want to stay here in this room I can't make you come with me, but I think it would be better to present ourselves as a unified whole especially since we are vulnerable while none of us knows our past. As I see it, this Count who's been around for a long time is our best shot at recovering some of our memories. I can see it in your eyes that each of you has a memory of him, whether good or bad I don't know. He knows, and I plan on finding out just exactly what."

Without another word Faria heads to find the front door to make introductions with this mysterious Count Strahd Von Zarovich. Hopefully with enough respect that nobles seem to eat up, it will go smoothly. She made a note to thank Bella for being so useful in finding the Count when the Abbott wanted them to help this Count.

Astryos' words to Baroness Krezkova are spoken to empty air; the noblewoman left the room moments ago, calling for her husband and son. Cassandra, Faria and Varius see and hear Astryos addressing his plea for shelter to the empty chair where the Baroness recently sat. When there is no response, Astryos himself realizes that the woman he thought was there was a mere apparition.

In the midst of the debate about whether to stay here, flee or go out to meet Count von Zarovich, footsteps, voices and doors opening and closing can be heard from other parts of the house. Only Varius has yet to voice an opinion.

The elf stares at the chair with furrowed brows and pursed lips. His eyes search, confused. The mention of Strahd returns him to reality. He gasps suddenly, and audibly as he relives that terrible fall, collapsing to his knees to catch his breath. Still short of breath he says, "He knows us. Why wouldn't he kill us again? Why is he here?"

Cassandra nervously considers the situation. The vision still dances n her minds eye, and she has no desire to recreate. And yet...
She can't dispute Faria's logic. The fact that they had barely made it to this town in one piece was a poor sign of their odds in the open world. Cassandra frowns, still feeling the cold weight that the shades touch had left her. The woods would be just as sure a death as Strahd was.
The monk takes a deep breath, then starts after Faria, following behind. "You're right, we should stay together. And if you're going to insist on going out there, you at least shouldn't go alone." She gives a weak smirk. "We just about lost you the last time you did."

Faria is surprised for a moment looking back at Cassandra who had decided to come with, and she blushes for a moment looking away straight ahead. She wasn't sure if it was the sudden support from Cassandra or if it was the chiding she received. She briefly wondered at what Astryos meant by 'Kill us again.' That was not what she had remembered, at least not directly. In fact she had appeared to be an ally of sorts, but she wouldn't know the lay of the land, or her true enemies until she could see more of this complex chess board. Was this Count Strahd the Black King? Or was he just another piece on the board. As they walked she briefly looked over to Cassandra. "T-thanks," she said uncertainly as if she was not used to saying such. Not knowing what else to say she took a deep breath and pressed open the door she thought to be the door to the front of the house.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread