Party 16

Status
Not open for further replies.
Varius, so had remained silent for a while now, finally speaks up.
"Right now, we have more questions than answers. Where are we? How did we get to be here? What exactly is going on here. At this point, we need all the information we can get. I dislike the idea of meeting this Count at least as much as the rest of you. Likely more so, in fact."
At this, he glances briefly over at Cassandra.
"However, we have no reason to believe he wants to kill us at this point, and if anyone is going to shed light on this situation, even unwittingly through regular conversation, it would be him. We need not speak with him for long, but anything we find out could prove important. After that, we head to the winery. It would put us in the good graces of this town, and in it situation, we need all the allies we can get. After that, who knows? We shall see where the cards fall. Hopefully at that point we will know enough to start making more informed decisions. But for now, we do what we can."
With that, he turns and follows Faria out of the house.

With the household still in an uproar over Count von Zarovich's unexpected arrival, the four of you leave the sitting room, walk down the long hall, and exit the house's front door, to meet the cold, gray afternoon and Strahd.

It is as Faria said, the Count is here, standing placidly at the center of the public square in his fine silk clothing and long dark cape. The residents of Krezk seem paralyzed with fear and awe. Many of them look at you as you step through the doorway.

Bella Washem, the Abbot's erstwhile assistant, is also here with Strahd. She has just finished hitching a chain to a post in the square. The other end of it is fastened to a collar around the neck of a tall, misshapen woman who could very well pass for Arback's sister. She looks dumbly at the gawking villagers around her. Scars and stitches crisscross her face, and her limbs are slightly out of proportion to each other. Her left arm, for instance, is a bit larger than the right, with a more muscled tone. With a shock of recognition, Varius realizes that it is the mirror image of his own remaining right arm. There is no doubt that this is the limb that was amputated and replaced with the monstrous one that now sprouts from his left shoulder. As if sharing this realization, the new, hairy arm, cramps and seizes up painfully, refusing to respond to Varius' wishes.

As Strahd sees you, his brow creases ever so slightly, and there is the tiniest dilation of his dark pupils that only Cassandra notes. There is a moment of silence before he speaks.

"You," he says, addressing the four of you collectively. The villagers gasp at the sound of his voice. "How is this? What have you done?" He strokes his chin and takes a few steps to his right. Bella opens her mouth and reaches up to grasp his cloak, but he brushes her arm aside without looking at her. "Ah, the Temple," he says, after some consideration. "Is that it then? And my pet, the Abbot, whom I had cultivated for so long. No doubt that is your handiwork?"

Baroness Krezkova has come to the threshold at last, accompanied by a short, stocky man with a broad white beard, no doubt the Baron.

Faria steps out separating herself from the town's folk to make it more clear she stands away from them, and provides one of the sharpest salutes in her career towards Strahd before addressing him directly. "Forgive me Your Excellency for being so forward but you have us at a significant disadvantage. While I was correct in assuming you would recognize, us four there were some side effects apparently from our Resurrection. The Sharath did not seem to indicate that it was his will that brought us back however, he had assisted us in getting our bearings. It was his will that we assist you and as such I felt reintroductions were in order," said Faria trying not to draw her explanation out too long. Usually nobles liked to lead the conversation, and she was riding on a breach of edict speaking. He had not quiet directly addressed her, but more in the rhetorical sense. She hoped the respect of a salute would push the coin further in her favor. "I am Faria Alderwood, of Daggerdale."

'This is it, the bet that goes all in. The last flip of a coin. The moment the stakes are raised. The tension before cards are laid upon the table. Will he tip his hand now that I've flashed him a card in our hand,' though Faria holding the respectful yet rigid posture. 'I wonder if this Count ever served in the army, or if he commanded troops from afar?' Faria could hear a continuous sound on the edge of her hearing. The sound of a spinning coin, as it continued to spin on its circumference. Faria if she manages to catch Bella's eyes winks at her.

Varius steps up behind Faria, ignoring his uncooperative arm. He watches each of the people gathered here in turn, face impassive. When he finally does speak, he keeps his sentence short, saying nothing more than he has to.
"Varius Caldra."

Astryos is apprehensive at the suggestion of helping the incarnation of evil but maintains his stoic composure, "Astryos. Charmed, I'm sure."

Bella catches Faria's look, but seems confused by its meaning. Her eyes dart from side to side and her beak wrinkles in a nervous smile. Next to her, the large chained woman frowns and gives a few exploratory tugs at the links that hold her. A faint whimper rises from her lips.

Strahd watches as Faria, Varius and Astryos step forward and announce themselves. He seems unsure what to make of this ritual. "And Cassandra Ward," he says at last, when the half-elf doesn't join the roll call. "Your names are not forgotten. I still pass them, where they are inscribed, from time to time. But I begin to have an inkling of this 'disadvantage' of which you speak. Believe me, you have my sympathy. I, more than most, understand how the powers who grant these wondrous gifts take dark delight in irony. I suppose this is now a bond we share, you and I." His lips produce a wry smile.

"But dear old Sharath. Always helping, always restoring the world, recovering sparks from broken vessels. And now the sparks have caught fire and burned him. His projects, one and all, must come to a close." He tips his head ever so slightly at the malformed woman chained to the post.

"My Abbot was an interesting character, and I indulged him for quite a while. For you and I, however, our recreation is long over. As tempting as it is, I will not indulge you again. I take Sharath's lesson and keep my hands well clear of the sparks."

The man you assume is Baron Krezkov takes advantage of a lull in Strahd's rumination to speak. "Your Excellency..." he begins, before Strahd cuts him off with a quick gesture. He stands back and purses he lips, chastened.

Returning his gaze to Faria, Strahd resumes, "You seem sincere, but I must ask myself about the coincidence of your appearance here and Sharath's fate. Could there have been some intent on your part to wound me in this way? Come, Faria, unburden yourself. I will not be angry. I always felt we had a connection, in days gone by." His eyes burn with intensity.

She was right, there had been some sort of connection though she was still unsure as to what the relationship was. She had obviously died sometime in the past. Was it in service to him? or was it fighting against him. Obviously if it has been the later she had failed, and each of her current companions had like wise failed, which meant that course of action was completely out of the question. Instead she focused on what he was saying. Faria took a few moments to judge Strahd's eyes, and could see a similar spark that she had seen in the generals and commanders of her army back in Daggerdale. It was this ferocity that kept most of them alive and fighting. Making men into some of the most well respected people alive.

"We have heard something of those who would grant wondrous gifts, and though I appreciate a second chance I am not entirely sure the confines of such things, Your Excellency,"
said Faria responding to his comments about the powers, and irony. Faria noted he had changed gears from cautiously hostile, to mildly curious. If they could keep that attention for a bit longer she might be able to maneuver them into a better position to get the lay of the land. In fact they were woefully prepared for any sort of confrontation, if anything at the Abbey had proved that it had been their fight with the spirits.

It was around this time that she began to pick up on the context of Strahd's words. 'Was' and 'Sharath's Fate' sending off a few worries in her head. "I'm afraid I do not fully understand the connection with us being here, and Sharath's fate. I can only tell you what I know, and if you know anything my past, you at least know that I am honest. To be brief, Your Excellency, each of us woke up in what appeared to be a morgue, we explored a bit until we ran into Sharath who being a man of compassion offered us food and supplies as well as a letter that brought us down here to meet with one of your lawfully appointed government official, the Burgomeister." Faria spoke as if addressing a superior for a battle report. She briefly wondered what the others new that she did not, if the Count was convinced that something had happened to Sharath. Had she some how indirectly gotten him killed? "If something has happened to Sharath, I can only imagine it having been caused by my exploration of the Abbott's Abbey. There was a room with someone.... familiar to me in it but they were.... shadows? Shades? Spirits? I admit to a lack of understanding in that domain. It was I that unlocked the door, and ran towards the Abbott and my companions here to assist me in putting these people to rest. It pains me to admit, but unfortunately upon seeing Varius I turned to stand my ground, and one of the creatures I believe was able to knock me unconscious. I returned to consciousness mere moments ago, and I assure you that I had no intention of wounding you or Sharath by my actions."

It was only now that Faria dared look over to her companions, trying to judge each of their expressions. 'Did they know? What had happened? Were some of those creatures still alive back there? Was Sharath truly dead?'

"Is it true?" Astryos asks of Faria, "The Abbot is dead? By those shades?" his eyebrows furrow as he casts his gaze downwards to reflect on what he might have done different to save the one that brought them back from the grave. He looks to Strahd, "What do you mean you 'indulged' him?"

Cassandra keeps her eyes firmly towards the ground as the group converses with Strahd. His voice sends a chill down her spine, being all too similar to the voice in her vision. Her mind continues to play the scene, but she does her best to push it aside. Nevertheless, she feels her hands trembling.

She listens as Faria speaks with the noble. She is surprised at the ease of her speech. How could she be so calm? What exactly did she remember? She looks to the elf, wondering. Then Astryos speaks, and reaffirms the fear she had tried to tuck aside.

That was the Abbots body then.

She should have told have told the others about what she had seen before. At the time, her concern was with getting Faria somewhere to recover, but now the act surely would seem more suspicious than she meant it to. Faria's account of events seemed to explain what she saw though. And yet...Cassandra remembers that she had first asked about the runed door. Had her questioning led the elf to open it? Faria certainly didn't seem to think so, yet...

Careless...the word echoes in her mind. She sees the rogue scan across the group, and as she does so the monks face becomes pale. The half elf's eyes dart back to the ground.

Last edited:
"Thank you for your forthrightness," Strahd says to Faria. "It gives me much to think on." He does not acknowledge Astryos' question about how the Abbot was indulged. His attention turns to the Burgomaster and his wife, who have been waiting at their door.

"Baron, Baroness, where is your son and heir? He does not come out to great me?"

"My apologies, your Excellency," answers Baroness Krezkova, "He was up at his studies half the night and sleeps. I will get him now." Cassandra hears the tone of fear in her voice.

"No, do not wake him," says Strahd. "I was only concerned. I had heard the boy was ill. I am glad these were but rumors. It would appear my plan of recommending the Abbot's care in case it was the ague is no longer practicable."

"Baron and Baroness, people of Krezk," he addresses all those in the clearing, "I bring you the sad news that our Abbot has left his post. His work at the old abbey is at an end. However, in his place, I present your new spiritual leader, the Abbess." With a flourish of his arm, he gestures to Bella, who has been watching him reverently. Her nervous smile breaks into a full grin and her lizardlike eyes sparkle.

"Grant her the honor and respect you have always given the Abbot before her," he continues, "and do all you can to help her and her agents in their new work."

"I bring another gift as well: One of the Abbot's final projects." He gestures to the woman chained to the post. "He named her Vasilka, and I think he meant her as a gift for me, but henceforth she will belong to Krezk. Treat her well. I will be very disappointed if any ill befalls her."

Vasilka's eyes burn at these words. She utters an inchoate groan of protest and hacks at her chain with one hand, which only serves to jerk the collar against her neck. Bella startles a bit and takes a few steps back from this display.

"And finally," Strahd intones, "these things." He is pointing at Varius, Faria, Cassandra and Astryos, though his eyes are fixed on the Baron and Baroness. "They are no common travelers from beyond the mists. They are anathema. They have treated with the Dark Powers and become monstrous. Give them no harbor. Send them out from your walls so that I may see how the Land receives them. Let them experience its splendors with fresh eyes."

"As you wish, your Excellency," the Baron says as he bows his head.

Strahd turns once more to Varius, Faria, Astryos and Cassandra. "My advice to you: Leave Krezk without delay so that my subjects do not suffer on your account. Trust me, it is as your former selves would have done."

With that, the Count's suddenly evaporates into a fine mist, which disperses as it ascends. Finding herself left behind, Bella's eyes dart to all of the villagers surrounding the clearing. Her gaze passes quickly over Faria before landing on Astryos. She presents him a broad, sinister smile, then utters a string of unintelligible syllables and vanishes.

At the center of the square, Vasilka lets out a roar of anguish and rage. Some of the surrounding villagers flee into the trees, but many more brandish shovels and whatever other tools are on hand. Fear and resolve war with each other in the many eyes that watch you. The Baron stands in the doorway with his arms crossed. The Baroness is looking at the ground. She raises one hand to her head and goes back inside, closing the door behind her.

"As you wish, Your Excellency. Perhaps in time we might speak again," said Faria trying to leave the hopefulness out of her voice. A skill she was trained in when speaking to superiors, and upon disappearing she looked to Bella with a slight smirk on her. "Congradulations on your promotion Bella, I hope you are able to continue the Abbott's work as no doubt he would have wished you to," said Faria before she also disappeared. 'Well isn't everyone in a hurry around here?'

Faria turned to look at the others shrugging, and seemingly slightly disappointed now that the other two had gone. She gave a brief sad glance over to Vasilka. It really wasn't her place to say anything with no standing in town, and two make shift daggers to her name. Hell, half of her group weren't armored or equipped properly. She took stock of the situation, for it was clear no one trusted them. What had they done in the past? Had they really been that much of a menace that even an immortal count was unwilling to deal with them? 'Strange behavior everywhere, I can't imagine Randal Morn refusing to make use of adventurers. Especially ones that don't remember their past, if we were evil in the past no doubt this would be our chance to redeem ourselves? We'll just have to prove ourselves. Seems like that winery might actually be the best way to go from here, and it might open up a bit of good will towards us.'

As the group eventually made their way towards the gates she thought focusing more on the Count and made a few initial impressions. Faria latched onto one thing in particular. I will not indulge you again. What had that meant? Indulge her how? Had he meant her specifically or the group as a whole? She thought back to him and realized with careful inspection that she had been charmed by the Count. Looking back however, she hadn't said anything she wouldn't have said willingly either. Honesty was going to be the best course going forward, she realized even though it opened her up to being potentially betrayed in the future. Faria could tell her allies were uneasy, like the many villagers of Krezk but fear would do them no good in this case.

Upon exiting the city she looked to the woods and a soft shiver went through her as she pushed down old memories of the far past. She could remember much of her childhood but why was there a large block of recent times that she couldn't remember? "Alright, so that didn't go quiet as I expected but we managed to catch a bit of his interest. I have questions that I guess I should have asked when I woke up but I kind of assumed from what I'd seen of you guys in the past that you'd be able to take anything thrown our way. What happened up there after I checked the room upstairs?" asked Faria wondering if that had perhaps crippled a bit of her offer to help back there. "I didn't know Sharath had died... did he die protecting me?" Suddenly at the spur of the moment thought, a hard lump began to form in her throat, threatening to overwhelm her in this moment.

As soon as Strahd disappears, Varius gives the rest of the town one final look over before heading out. Only once he has exited the city does he finally speak, half distracted by his efforts to try and force his arm to once again obey his commands.
"Well, I have no idea what any of that was about. Despite my earlier hopes, I think we came away from that with more questions than answers. But we did learn something of importance. I know we all suspected it before, but know it is certain. This Strahd character is definitely no friend of ours. While Sharath may have at least extended some courtesy to us, we will not receive the same from Strahd, and until proven otherwise, we must assume he will always act against us. After all, he has already driven us out of a city for no obvious reason beyond the fact that he could. But for now, I think we continue down to the winery. We still have no idea where we are, and that appears to be our only lead. That and Davian Martikov. Hopefully they are more willing to help than the people of Krezk."
He looks down at himself.
"And hopefully they will have some armour for me. I feel more than a little defenseless without it."
Finally, he looks up at Faria.
"And you want to know what happened up there? Whatever little project Sharath was working on got out, and he suffered the consequences for it. I don't know who those shadows were, or why they were locked up in his abbey, but I doubt it was for any sort of noble purpose. Once you went down, I grabbed you and ran. We managed to get out of there while the big guy cleaned up. Whassis name, Arback. As for Sharath, he died in his office. He didn't die protecting you. He didn't even try."

Last edited:
"I concur with the direction as well, though on the point that he is no friend of ours, I believe you are inessence correct Varius. Whatever we were in our previous lives we were not allies and he seems to think we were trying to trick him back there. If I were a leader and old enemies showed up claiming to know nothing of past disputes I would be hesitent and act quickly to refuse my enemies resources while I continued to observe if they really had forgotten or whether it was a facade. One way or another our actions will either prove our merits or damn us," said Faria in response to Varius. She was glad he was thinking along the same lines of her, though she wished to press the issue of what had happened further she decided it could wait. They did not owe her anything, and she should respect their wishes, after all they had saved her hadn't they? "Honestly if we don't find you armor any time soon I'm afraid your going to wilt, Varius. Maybe we might even be able to work for a week or so at the winery to get us on our feet for gold to buy some supplies. I can attempt to make some bows when we camp but they will be rough, and I'll need some animal intestines. Hopefully this winery isn't that far away."

Shouldering his pack the half-elf speaks up, "The Winery? Our only business there is in the service of Kresk. From which we've been banished. We ought find elsewhere. Surely the road will have have sign posts if we keep to it. If not, I say we follow it either east or west, the Winery being south as it is."

The investigator keeps his eyes peeled, wary of an ambush. After some time, "I did not like how he said that. 'See how the land receives them.' What do you suppose that means? Is he some Archdruid in command of earth, tree and stone? Surely not. Have you ever heard of an evil Archdruid!"

Cassandra finds herself calming as they leave the presence of Strahd. It would be all right. He didn't seem to pay her much mind, no more than the others at least, which she was perfectly alright with. Still, the relative calm of the others continued to surprise her. They seemed to be taking the whole ordeal in stride. If their recollections were anything remotely similar to hers, they certainly were better at masking the fact.
She listens to the others outlining their situation. She considers their situation, glad to have something more practical to worry about. "Astryos might be right. Plus their shipments haven't been coming in anyway, who knows what might have happened. Although we don't exactly know a lot of places either, so anywhere we go would be a gamble anyway." She ponders for a moment. "The land... could just be the locally wildlife I'm sure there's dangerous things lurking out there."

Faria crosses her arms in thought putting one hand up to the side while she thought for a moment about Astyros' concerns. "I think we need to discuss what we plan to do as a group. It's fairly clear that the land is a dangerous place. We can surmise this from each of us having been dead, perhaps even have died in multiple different groups before," said Faria starting what she knew in her gut to be a crucial decision.

"Lets say we do go west or south and come across the next town. What if we are known there? What is the Count has already flown ahead of us and warned them not to give us any sanctuary? So we move onto the next town, and they know us or have been influenced? What then?"
Faria let the hand drop from her face, and letting her hands fall to her sides looking at Astyros. "My opinion is of course no more valuable than any of ours, but the way I see our situation right now is we can run with our tail between our legs, going from place to place never really proving ourselves. Or we can help those that need help despite that we aren't 'required' to do so. If the wine stopped coming and something did happen shouldn't we go investigate and check for survivors? What if bandit's have attacked or taken over the wine? It's something we can do to prove to the Count that we aren't here to threaten him, unless that is what you believe we should be doing."

Honestly she didn't know whether the Count was a bad man, a good man, or if he was just the one that had to make the hard choices for his land. Her instincts however were pushing her to help these people, and hopefully by helping those they came across they should change the Count's mind. If he was irredeemable then in the end it wouldn't matter, they would be stuck here forever to continue, perhaps even end up like the shades she had freed from the Abbey. No, she had to think there was a chance, and maybe that was just it. Had anyone ever tried before? If Sharath was right and this land was cursed which she was beginning to believe more and more, it was time to ease some chains. The Count had said he had sympathized with being manipulated by powers beyond their understanding. Just who were these powers... and could they be defeated? She drew herself back into the conversation.

"If there's any chance we could get the wine shipments back on track that would be an improvement to the land and surely a noble like the Count cannot do without wine, yes?"
said Faria with a hint of a smile. "No self loving noble could stand a week without their precious indulgences. If you still would like to avoid going there I can understand not wanting to stick your neck out for people you don't know, or that might not even care about you. You three stuck your necks out for me to save me, so we can go to the next town. I guess I'm trying to say... Thank you."

"Regardless of Krezk, we know that something has happened down there to waylay shipments. Plus, it would be far less likely that we would be known at a small winery than at an actual settlement. How I see it, we can ignore the winery and venture off into the unknown, hoping to find somewhere that might be more welcoming than the place we left. Or we could head to a known location, possibly help out people in trouble, and use this goodwill to get more information or allies; invaluable in our current situation. Even if we discover something happened to the inhabitants there, then at least we will have access to the resources and shelter present there. Worst case scenario, we get there, nobody is in trouble, they don't welcome us, and we are in exactly the same situation as we are now."

Thinking on it some, the half-elf responds, "True enough. The Winery is only a few hours by foot the Baroness said." He peers into the woods trying to sense how hostile they are, "I remember dying here. Well, not here. Strahd took me and we fell from a bridge. We crashed into...stone, I suppose. Yet he lived where I died." The woods seem to stare back at him as he relives this memory. Blinking rapidly he returns his attention to the group, "The winery then?"

Cassandra considers the arguments. They were good points. Besides, had she let herself become so afraid that she had forgotten her desire to help?

"Sounds like the winery it is then. Best plan we have I guess. And you're welcome Faria, I guess. Although Im sure you would have done the same." She adds, though hoping the sentiment was true more than knowing it.

She finds herself shuddering a little as she hears Astryos' recounting. "So you remember your death too then..." She can't help but be jealous of the matter-of-factness of his tone. He certainly had some inner peace he must draw on that she lacked, she supposes. She looks to the others. Is that a memory we all have?

Varius frowns.
"It seems as though memories are slowly returning for some of us. I have no recollection of my death yet. All I remember of anything before waking up in that morgue is watching as Strahd murdered Cassandra. Though whether that is a memory, illusion, or something else entirely, I have no idea. But I'm sure our memories will return in time. Until then, we do what we can. Which right now means heading to the winery."

Nodding stoicly, Astryos confirms, "Yes." He begins walking south towards the Winery, following the road at a normal pace, "It was not pleasant but it happened. And he knew about my past. He is more familiar with us, or at least, with myself, than I think any of us realize. He is very dangerous."

The steep, winding path from the gates of Krezk brings you downhill to the wider road you saw earlier while descending from the abbey. From on top of the gatehouse, guards watch your departure.

It's getting to be the later part of the afternoon, and although the rainclouds never did follow through on their threats, the air is damp and chill. Fortunately the trees that press up against the Old Svalich Road provide some protection from the cold wind, though at the cost of visibility. A creeping mist clings to everything.

Cassandra and Astryos, who would normally outpace the others, are slowed considerably: Cassandra on account of the debilitating effect of the shadows' touch, Astryos due to the sheer quantity of supplies he took from the abbey's shed. Without stopping to open packs and redistribute goods, the two monks must be content to merely match Faria and Varius' pace.

wow_worn.jpgVarius is also still weak from the shadow touch. Since seeing his former left arm on the woman Vasilka, the newly-grafted monstrous appendage has been a numb and useless load on his shoulder.

The assorted prints and ruts in the the Old Svalich Road show it to be either well-traveled, poorly maintained, or some happy compromise between the two. Varius and Faria identify several distinct cart and wagon wheel tracks. A diligent forester would perhaps cut the trees farther back from the road. They press in aggressively, and stray limbs reach across at a height likely to injure or unseat a traveler on horseback. Sounds that would normally be the calls of animals or rustling of foliage take on a sinister quality in this still-unfamiliar place.

After nearly an hour spent walking to the east, a stone bridge crosses a river and brings you to a complex junction stretched out over a quarter-mile. The main road continues to the east, while two other routes head off to the southwest and south, where a mountain's silhouette rises in the mists. A small footpath also winds into the trees on the north side of the road.

As Baroness Krezkova promised, there are signs here. The road heading back from where you just came is clearly marked "Krezk" and a matching sign proclaims "Vallaki" to the east. There is also a sign on the southwest route, though it's really not on a par with its companions. Badly in need of touching up, it's barely possible to make out the faint drawing of a man in robes and the word "Wizard" on the weather-beaten wooden square.

Astryos wrinkles is nose, sniffing sharp, short breaths. The others advance a few paces ahead before he calls out, "Hey! There's a foot path here. I smell...decay. Maybe it's the wine man? I'll check it out"

He takes a few steps up the foot path to look for signs of a wagon, or body, careful to keep the road in view.

Astryos spotted the faint side path less than half an hour from the complex intersection. As he starts to trace it back into the trees, he sees a footprint, then another, different than the first. At least two different people traveled this way.

Something moves among the trees deeper in. Astryos sees a lean, haggard wolf maybe fifty feet away. The beast meets his gaze, then lowers its head and retreats out of sight into the forest.

He pauses at the sight of the wolf and looks behind him for his companions. Seeing he hasn't lost sight of them he continues further in the direction of the wolf.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread