Party 15

Status
Not open for further replies.
With the shock of hearing Braid's voice coming from outside, Doru is able to slink away toward the sound. He makes it well outside, running with abandon from the people who are trying to hurt him or lock him away.

Parundar found himself isolated from his friends; a lone wolf stood between him and his comrades. He dropped his hand to where he put his new shiny swo-

Oh, right...

Parundar snapped himself out of his feeling of stupidity for forgetting that he no longer possessed the sword, and grabbed his dagger.

No matter, I’ll stab you in your heart for hurting my friends!

As Parundar reared back, ready to plunge his blade deep into the wolf’s skull, a familiar voice cut through his ear.

Braid?...

In the instant he hesitated, the wolf cunningly slipped out of range of his dagger, forcing Parundar to stumble and whiff wildly.

Sothoth threw a javelin at the fleeing boy successfully hitting him and charging after the boy only to see braid standing in the mist, and being overcome by fury so powerful he had only felt it a few times, the first being the day his father died

Parundar was being held at bay by the small wolf. Luckily he had only faced the snarling and snapping of its jaws: its bark rather than its bite. The heat of battle was exhilarating, almost intoxicating to the point that he didn't notice that half of his group was gone. He didn't notice the big wolf advancing upon Willan. He didn't notice how dire the circumstances had become until he heard Willan's body thud on the floor of the church, partially hanging from the jaws of the great wolf.

It's just me now. Willan is tougher than me, and he's already down. I have no fire, just this puny little dagger. Damn you, Brai-...

Parundar realized that if Braid was the one seeking to save Doru, perhaps he was the one commanding these wolves. He forced his mind to focus on the little eccentricities of the voice. Exactly how it sounded coming from Braid's mouth.

Not enough time to make it perfect, but maybe it won't matter to the wolves as long as it sounds close!

Parundar looked as far out of the church as he could and created the illusion of Braid's voice: "Help us, my wolf brethren, those two are wastes of time!"

The snarling of the wolf in front of Parundar ceased as it heard its master. The great wolf released Willan from its clutches and gave its smaller kin a nod as it headed towards the voice. The small wolf turned back to Parundar - who did his best impression of a weak and worthless foe (a common disposition for Parundar) - pondered a moment, and followed the alpha wolf. Parundar stayed frozen in place until the wolves left the church, just in case they might change their mind.

So the dudes I'm with hear something outside, a voice they recognize. And that voice is the voice 'a the big orc-y guy that gave me that bottle earlier. I don't recognize it, but everyone else does, then they call 'im by name and it takes me a sec to recognize who it is. Then I do, and I see the kid's runnin', prob'ly but not without me chasin' after 'im. Makes me feel kinda bad, leaving everyone else behind, but whatever, they'll be alright. Prob'ly. That Dragonfolk's got a real weird temper. He gets all strong and smart at the same time, I don't understand it. Maybe he can teach me.
Anyways, I run after 'im, and seein' him run to this guy, try and slash at his ankles, but I gotta slide to hit 'im and when I do cut him, I see that his cuts and bruises from earlier are kinda goin' away. His skin's stitchin' itself back together, so I shout it out to tell everyone else, and try and tell the kid, "hey listen, gonna be real here. If you move, I'm gonna stick a knife in the back 'a your neck. Then you won't be able ta move even if ya wanted to." But he gets up and runs. But I'm a woman 'a my word. So I gotta shove a knife into the back of his neck.
Maybe not yet, though. Right now, I can do with pinning him by his hands. I just gotta keep him from runnin' into the arms of that big dude. I took a bite, so my kicks might not be so good.

After Sothoth shot an arrow clear through the neck of the largest wolf, killing it, the final wolf's entire demeanor changes. It whines and puts it's talk between it's legs, cowering away from the group like it had never wanted to be there in the first place. It slinks off into the mists, never making eye contact with any of the party, just hoping to not be killed.

As the church returns to it's state of silence, Donovich stumbles forward, laying a hand onto Willan's bite wound across his chest. As he does so, a small amount of energy flows from his palm, and Willin gasps for breath.

Donovich holds his head down after healing your friend and quietly walks back to the chapel, kneeling back where you had first found him. Instead of quiet prayers, however, all you can hear is sobbing.

The shock of hearing Braid's voice momentarily distracted Willan. The large wolf lunged for him and clamped down on his already aching body. Willan fought to remain conscious, praying someone would help as the blackness took him.

Willan had no idea how much time had passed when he came awake in a rush. A broken and grieving Donovich leaned over him. He was too confused to say anything to Donovich. He just laid there gasping for breath, wide eyed and staring at Donovich, who then turned and stumbled back into the darkness to continue his weeping.

Willan reached to his side expecting to find horribly torn flesh. He could still feel the great wolf's teeth biting into him. His clothes were torn and bloody but only a few shallow cuts remained. Either he had imagined it or... Donovich's sobbing rose again.

He's certainly a giving soul. I wish we could have done more for him.

Willan walked over and did his best to comfort the poor man. "You're not alone here. We're here to help. Now tell us who else has the will to fight back so we can end this darkness."

As you all make your way out of the church and head back into town, you catch a glimpse of the sullen young man who you had "met" in the bar. He is rushing across the street from the tavern door, holding his hand over his mouth. He disappears down the alley across the street from the tavern.

You all hear the bell at the church toll a few times, but eventually it falls silent.

The rest of the town is still fairly abandoned, except for an old woman pushing around a cart full of some kind of pastries. You reach the center of town. The man vomitting in the alley is to your north, the old woman is to the east, and the way to get to the Vistani, according to Donovich, is to the west.

A weary looking mansion squats behind a rusting iron fence. The iron gates are twisted and torn. The right gate lies cast aside, while the left swings lazily in the wind. Heavy claw marks have stripped what was likely beautiful walls of any appeal. Ismark lead the group up to the front door, and sloppily knocked in a discernable pattern on the wood of the door. You could hear some movement from inside, and the door opened a small crack before a young woman's eye came into view.

"Ismark, you fool, why would you leave me to get drunk at a time like this?" the beautiful young woman asks, opening the door and looking around at the rather odd group he had picked up. "Please, come in," she says to the party, continuing to look around as if afraid of an ambush at any moment. She holds the door open to allow your group inside.

Ireena throws a set of armor a bit too forcefully into Ismark's chest before preparing her own armor. Once the two of them are prepared to leave the house, Ismark, Soth, and Fio work together to carry the coffin. Ireena stays behind, smiling slightly at the light music as you make your way through the street. Willan stays out front, prepared to direct traffic for the group, but the streets are the most bare they have been so far. The entire trip to the church is uneventful, and it only takes about 5 minutes with Fio holding up far more than her fair share of the weight that the trio are carrying.

Though it has only been maybe a half-hour since you all stood in the halls of the church, it is notably more quiet and dark than it had been before.

Parundar accompanies the procession with a somber drum solo. As the party enters the church, he sees the Father hanging. He uses his hands to mute his drum.

"Aww hell." Parundar hears from Fio, before seeing her sprint forward to cut down Donovich. She slaps him in the face in an attempt to wake him but no dice. The bell tolls as Parundar tallies another person he's failed to save. It's getting easier... Parundar punches himself in the shoulder for thinking that.

Everyone works rapidly to lay the dead to rest. A fervor to keep hands and minds busy.

Ireena and Ismark, drained but hopeful at the prospect of leaving town, join the party. Everyone heads towards the Vallaki, Madame Eva, and the way out of this hellhole.

Willan had been in a funk ever since the house. Maybe it was the house that tried to eat them. Maybe it was loosing Braid. Maybe it was getting spit out into a land that shouldn't exist. Meeting Donovich had started to pull him out. It was good to connect to someone in this strange place.

Back the church now, Willan stared in numb disbelief at the slowly swaying body of Donovich. He stared like that until the body was cut from the rope and the bell jolted him out of his stupor. Willan knew he needed time to collect himself and mumbled, "I'll go... watch for trouble"

After the modest funeral rites were performed and Donovich was laid to rest, Willan's mind started working again. While in preparation to leave, Willan casually prodded Ismark for information about this strange land. "How far did Strahd's control reach? How many other towns are like this? Has anyone tried to simply pick a direction and go until they're no longer under his thumb?"

Willan was also eager to see the Vallaki. Maybe they had answers.

Ismark and Ireena appear to be releaved to be leaving the place they had called home their whole lives. After all that had happened in recent days, this wouldn't be an unreasonable reaction. They took the lead, walking the group across a bridge spanning what they identify as the Ivlis River. This leads to a trail into the Svalich Woods. They are aware that it is getting late, but neither sibling wants to return home to rest before leaving, so you treck on into the woods. The way is quiet, as everyone dwells on the horrors of the past day, but they realise quickly that after an hour or so, if you are going to be able to settle down for the night, you will need to set up camp before sundown.

Ireena sets up 3 tents in a small clearing that is still visable from the road: one for her and Fio, one for her brother, and the final one for Willan and Parundar. Ismark makes a fire in silence, but seems to relax a bit once it is roaring. He sits and pulls out enough food for everyone, which he quickly cooks and passes out to the group.

"I do hope the Vistani are as helpful as Donovich seems to think they will be," Ismark finally chimes in after a few minutes of staring into the fire. "From what I've heard, they have a camp along the shore of Tser Pool, which is only a few more hours ahead, but I wouldn't want to try traveling at night."

Ireena sits beside her brother at the fire as she polishes the breastplate she had been wearing. It is noticably too big for her, but seems like it could keep her quite safe if danger were to arrive. "I just hope that there will be a safe place to stay once we reach Vallaki." She chimes in quietly. "But for tonight, we need to take our rest."

Willan was at home in the forest. It reminded him of home. That is, it *usually* reminded him of home. This forest brought him no such comfort. After his watch, he had trouble sleeping. He felt like he had only just nodded off when Fio's frantic whispers brought him awake.

Willan stumbled out of his tent still buckling his belt to see two ferocious looking boars. Before he was able to fully take in the scene, a voice from outside the camp yelled, "Watch out!!!" followed by a ball of flame that burst on one of the boars.

Still fumbling with his belt, "son of a Took!", Willan watched his companions take action. Parundar's familiar drum started to beat. Fio, as spry as ever managed to take the legs out from under one. By the time he got his belt on, the boar next to Fio had already tried to right itself. If it managed to get on it's feet, Fio was in real trouble.

Willan, whispering under his breath and letting the urgency of the moment surge through him, threw his power out into the dirt under the beast. He heard a surprised squeal and a thud. He rushed forward, daggers drawn.

Before he could unleash any daggers at the boar in the hole, the other one charged in his direction. Willan thought he would be trampled for sure but the boar didn't seem to hone in on him. Regardless, Willan wasn't about to take any chances. He splayed his fingers out, thumbs together and shot his hands towards the beast. Fire took it and it fell.

It had all happened so fast but so far it seemed like everyone was ok. He looked over to see the source of the streaking flame balls. He wasn't sure if he was pleased or not to see someone a bit closer to his size. He spoke up with a smirk on his face. "Hello there!" Glancing behind the gnome into the fog, "Is there an army back there waiting to pounce on all this bacon? Or just you?"

Parundar absentmindedly missed the drawing of straws for taking watch. Wait... they don’t think I did that on purpose... do they?! Anxiety attempted to keep him awake but exhaustion finally won this battle and Parundar drifted to sleep.

He dreamt a cobbled mess of the day’s happenings. He saw Braid, normal at first, then snarling as his face transformed into a wolf. He saw Donovich hanging. Then he saw Terrance hanging in the Father’s place. Fio’s voice crept into his dream. It took a moment but the urgency eventually woke Parundar.

Parundar left his tent to spot two enormous hairy beasts inching towards the camp, and a gnome.

Friend or foe?...

Braid’s face popped into his head again.

“Watch out!” The gnome yelled as he fired a burst of flame at one of the boars.

No time for hesitation!

Parundar beat his drum and focused his energy on the nearest boar. The boar flinched for a moment and its eyes glazed over, a white film obscuring its vision.

Fio went to work, testing a boar’s balance with her fine tuned grappling and deft blade swings. Willan assisted with some quick thinking, removing the ground from beneath it, setting it up for the killing blow. Ismark, sobered up, showed his worth in battle as he slew the pig in the pit. Not to be outdone, both the gnome and Willan focused their energies on roasting the board with fire magics.

As the second and final boar fell, Parundar tries to slyly hide his crossbow of shame, which failed to hit the blind target.

The people of Daggerford told Cally of the terrifying beasts that attacked the Duchess and the mysterious fog that surrounded the woods. Angry beasts and cursed forests sounded like the exact problem that Cally can solve. It was most likely ask related after all.

Not wanting to put any other residents in danger she went into the forest alone. Stepping slowly and cautiously Cally made her way through the woods. She assumed it was an angry spirit and so she was careful to not step on small shrubs that wouldn't be able to recover from her weight. The fog rolled in as thick as it was described to her. The trees around her turned from the usual conifers of the area into something else strange. The sky had been just afternoon but now it's early morning.

Something terrible had just happened and Cally begun to panic. Where was she now? The sounds of boars squealing angrily snuffed out her thoughts as she saw a camp about to be charged over.

People! If there are people here then she wouldn't be entirely lost. She called out to warn and wake them. There's little time and Cally is very confused, she couldn't calm the boars until she knew what was going on.

She pulled out Fenix from her staff and began to shot small flames at the boars. She didn't need to help them as this group seemed deft with weapons and magic. One of the boars eyes went completely black as it freaked and ran around, the other was thrown aside as the earth moved from under it and it was quickly torn apart by their blades.

Cally is left in a place she doesn't know but excited to have found people that are very adept.

What a shitty day this has been, huh? First, I'm wanderin' through the night, The Lady gets killed, I'm at the scene, then disappear into the woods after some wolf, appear in some town I've never seen or heard of before, guys here are racists. I meet some cool guys, but then what happens? One of 'em disappears into some fog with this sharptoothed healin' monster. Another dies. Didn't wanna have to bury 'im, but, wasn't really my choice on if he stuck around or not, huh?

Ugh.....

Least I'm not dead, I guess, huh? Hope these other guys stick with me. These new two've lost their pops too. Why can't it ever be the shitty ones? Why do the good ones have't'be the ones that go?

Anyways, I should get back into what's going on right now. Two wild pigs attack and now we got a new guy. One of those gnome gals. Maybe she's good with machines. Or animals. Hope she sticks with us, she looks friendly....

oh shit... when i pulled that card, about our funerals... was i wrong? did.... did I kill Papa Don?

As you talk about what has brought you here, Ismark quietly rebuilds the fire. Without saying a word, he cleans and dresses one of the boar as if it was second nature to him. He begins to cook the meat.

Ireena, who hadn't heard any part of your stories, sat and listened intently as she tried to understand this other world that you all seemed to come from. When her brother had finished cooking the meat, she brought around servings to everyone.

Ismark finally speaks up after having some breakfast. "The Vistani encampment is rumored to be around Tser Pool, which should only be a few miles down the road. We need to be careful, those were more intimidating boar than I've ever seen before." He seems much more reserved now that you are seeing him sober. "I don't know if we can trust the Vistani, but if Donovich said they might help, then it's our best shot."

He begins to pack up the tents and waits for confirmation from the rest of the group.

Loraleth:

Your wandering has taken you to the forests outside of a town called Daggerford. You notice that something bad must have happened there, because there is a lot of guard presence and panic. You notice a small Gnome woman who wandered out of the town and into the woods. It occurs to you that if there is danger, she might need your help, so you follow her, quietly. You and Raca keep your distance and soon begin to notice that the forest does not seem the same as it did before. You don't know how, but you are in a completely different forest than you were only moments ago.

Unlike the gnome you were following, you take a few minutes to try to discern what has happened, and where you are. As you do so, Raca catches the scent of something that makes her growl. You both hide as you see a large half-orc man who has long hair in a braid, run past increadibly quickly, with a group of massive wolves following behind him. His movements are strange, almost as if he were floating just off the ground and only appeared to be running. They don't seem to notice you as they pass by, though the half-orc does chuckle audibly as he rushes out of your sight.

You quickly pick up the trail of the gnomish woman, and come to a clearing. From there, you can see a group of people all packing up a campsite. 3 humans, 1 halfling, and 1 half-elf (She appears to try to hide it, but as an elf, you would recognise the features) are talking with the gnome you had followed here. None of the features of this area are familiar to you.

Everybody Else:

Ismark throws the packs that hold your tents onto his back and smiles slightly as he points to the west, "Shall we get moving, then." Ireena dons her breastplate and sheaths the sword that is clearly too big for her as she nods her head.

Through the trees, a blonde elf woman watches the group with interest, upon seeing their seemingly good nature to help the gnome woman, she sighs. In Elvish, she talks to the wolf by her side, "Well Raca... Looks like people time again." to which the wolf responds with a huff. Stowing her bow and taking a breath, she calmly walks out of the woods, approaching the group with her hands clearly visible and not near any weapons. Returning to the common tongue, "Hail travelers." She calls to them, her voice smooth and soft yet somewhat disinterested, hoping to make herself seem as non-hostile as she can. While not the best in dealing with humans, she hoped that her attempt would at least be passable.

Her form is somewhat lithe, definitely built more dexterous than beefy, and while she's average height for an elf she definitely seems a bit on the skinnier side. Her long blonde hair is tied back into a ponytail with bangs and a bit left out that frames her face. Beside her is a grey wolf coming up to about her waist in height, very clearly by her side and trained more than any wild animal could be as it stops and sits on it's haunches when she stops walking, trying to look unimposing. The woman wears leathers with a scarf tied around her neck and has clear Elven traits, the long pointed ears evident. Her eyes are heterochromatic, one being purple and the other grey, and on her back is a seemingly hand-made longbow, as well as two Elvish looking daggers at her sides. Not wanting to press herself anymore into the situation, she awaits a response from the group.

“Well, if we’re going to keep going, let us make haste. Glad to have you join us Callybon and Loraleth, we will do our best to keep you both safe in this cursed land.” Ismark begins walking down the road, becoming impatient with the chatter. Ireena looks embarrassed by her brother’s rudeness, but bows slightly, gesturing for the group to follow with her.

The siblings still don’t seem to be particularly talkative as they walk with the group down the road. After a bit of walking, you reach a fork in the road, with a sign post with two phrases scrawled on them. A sign pointing to the left says ‘VALLAKI,’ while the sign pointing right reads ‘TSER POOL.’

Woods:

This fork in the roads is the first time that you hear Ismark speak up, at least in a way that was meant to be heard by other people. "We're going right, then. I will admit this is a first for me, so I will be less familiar with the trail from now on -- watch your step." He quickly moves on, remaining vigilant as he looks out for danger.

Ireena pauses momentarily at the sign before quickly catching up to her brother and walking alongside him. "We could just go straight to Vallaki, if you'd rather not stay on the road for too long?" There is a hint of caution in her voice, like she didn't know what to expect out of doing all this.

Ismark seems to consider that, glancing over his shoulder at all the people that were accompanying the pair, and shakes his head. "No, I said we'd be checking out the Vistani and I ought to keep my word. And besides..." For but a moment, his serious demeanor softens to show some mix of anxiousness and hope. ...and besides. I've been thinking about it, and I just have a gut feeling that it's worth stopping by. Like they might have something to tell us." He quickly returns his gaze to the front, and not much more is said.

It is soon apparent that this is definitely the road less traveled -- and, after a while, barely a road at all. What was once worn ground with hints of cobblestone gradually disappears as you progress, replaced by a twisted, muddy path through the trees and flora. The only evidence of you being vaguely on the right track are deep ruts in the earth, evidence of the comings and goings of large wagons. You continue forth.

Tser Pool Encampment:

After a couple hours of uneventful trekking, the canopy of mist and branches suddenly gives way to a wide expanse of grey clouds far above. There is a small clearing here, adjacent to a flowing river that widens to form a clear lake several hundred feet across. Five colorful round tents, each ten feet in diameter, are pitched outside of a ring of barrel-topped wagons, all bearing symptoms of weathered wear and tear.

A much larger tend stands near the shore of the lake, its sagging form lit from within with what appears to be flickering candlelight. Behind it you can see the silhouette of several horses tied to a stake and drinking peacefully at the edge of the water.

The quiet of the woods no longer exists here; you're immediately greeted with the sounds of hustle and bustle and the chatter of several figures in the distance, as they go about their daily business. At the center of the ring of wagons, a pair of adult humans seem to be keeping watch as several kids are playing a game, running circles around a currently unlit bonfire pit. One of them seems to perk up as you arrive at the edge of the camp, but says nothing yet, seeming to wait to see if you will approach or not.

Ismark looks back to the group, making a slight gesture around the area. "Well, I guess this is the place. Anywhere you'd like to start?"

p1739610995-3.jpg

Tser Pool Encampment:

As Willian and Cally decide to simply stride forward and greet these strange new people with a bright smile and a wave, the woman standing at the edge of the bonfire glances briefly at her partner before stepping forward from her spot. She weaves past the playing children, her soft dress flowing in the gentle morning breeze, and stops in front of the group with a slight curtsy. "Hello there, might I ask why we have some giorgios greeting us this fine morning?" Her voice is soft with a slight accent, and her gaze sweeps over your ragtag group as she speaks. "It is quite early, you must have traveled through the night to get all the way out here."

Ismark steps forward to address her. "We were hoping to seek help from your people. Many perils have assailed us as of late, and we no longer feel safe in our home village. My sister and I come from a few hours east."

She nods, still looking around as if comitting your features to memory -- or perhaps, recalling them. "... I see. Might I ask who the rest of you are, and where you hail from? Perhaps you are the ones the Raunie has been expecting."

Ismark raises an eyebrow at that, then turns to the rest of you and shrugs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread