[Party 11] Dmitri Glazunov

Status
Not open for further replies.

SilentTears

Dmitri is too edgy for his shirt
Character Sheet Link: Dmitri - Character Sheet

Preferred Game Speed: A few posts a day, most likely.

Backstory: Dmitri grew up the son of a powerful crime syndicate boss in Waterdeep. He never knew his elven mother and didn't have many actual friends. Both of his older brothers were born of other, human women, so he was ostracized from the outset as different. A half-elf bastard. His bright red hair, which he could have only gotten from his mother, didn't help much either, and he stood out like a sore thumb everywhere he went. At an early age, Dmitri trained with a few of his father's reconnaissance men, bodyguards and the like, learning the art of hunting other people. He began pulling in people who ran from his father at the age of 18, and offered his services to other high-paying patrons. With so much coin so early in life, he began drinking and partying with his so called "friends", who mostly consisted of mediocre university students and other young people, usually involved with the underworld in some way. Life was fun, and Dmitri met a young half-elven woman named Ysolda who took his breath away. She was a budding actress, beautiful, and very talented. She stayed with him for two years, swearing to be true. Until his money ran out. Then, she “forgot” how much she loved him and found another young rich fool to leech off of. Angry and bitter, he worked harder than ever then, but money could only do so much.

He was good at his work, but more often than not now, the quarry he was contracted to catch had abilities that made catching them difficult, sometimes impossible. He failed more than he liked; as determined as he was, he couldn’t always catch them. He needed magic. He had a few friends who studied the arcane, but they had trained their whole lives to reach abilities that were far below the power that he needed to attain to bring down the most elusive and slippery of Waterdeep. So in his free time, he spent hours training and searching for ways to gain magical abilities in a shorter amount of time. The only thing he found during this time was a symbol of an ankh, but any further research seemed useless. Every path to greater power always seemed to include the eastern symbol. After a few months of frustration and fruitless research, he gave up and took a job that, to him at least, seemed way out of his league. The target was an elusive serial murderer and terrorist with the alias “The Red Hand”. They had dispatched countless bounty hunters and reward seekers, and seemed to especially enjoy taking out veteran adventurers and magically broadcasting demands for tribute payments. The bounty was significantly more coin than previous jobs, and he wanted to test himself. To see if he really was as good as father seemed to think he was.

So the hunt began. It was tough at first, but the information Dmitri found eventually led him to a small cliff-side cottage north of the city. After setting a few traps in hidden, strategic locations, throwing knives in hand, he opened the cottage door and quickly took in his surroundings. The first thing that hit him was the smell; bacon and eggs and mushrooms, it was incredible. The interior was well lit from the windows, and he could clearly see a floating spatula expertly flipping an omelette in a simple but tidy little kitchen. A tall, dark-skinned human man with long black hair and a well trimmed beard sat in a comfortable-looking armchair, dressed in formal dark robes. His eyes were pure white, and he was reading a tome of some kind. On the front cover was a large symbol: an ankh. Sitting in another, less comfortable-looking wooden chair was a petite, athletic woman who looked to be struggling against some sort of invisible bonds. Her short, straight hair was pulled up into a ponytail, tucked behind pointed ears, and it was red. Bright red. Dmitri was still crouched, primed, ready to spring into action at the slightest move from either of them. Or the spatula for that matter.

The man looked up from the tome and smiled warmly.

“Ah, perfect timing!”

His deep voice boomed in the small living space.

“Amara, meet your son. He’s been looking for you for quite some time, I imagine…”

He trailed off. Both redheads stood—well, one sat—in stunned silence, looking at each other. The man closed the book, set it on the small table beside him, and Dmitri felt as if the man’s eyes burrowed into his soul. He continued.

“Edwin, I do hope our breakfast is ready soon, I’m simply ravenous.”

A small tilt of his head and the food floated onto two large plates that were positioned on a small table in the kitchen. He looked from the food to Dmitri.

“Oh do come in, Dmitri, I won’t bite.”

A pause, and he glanced in the woman’s direction with a smirk.

“She might though.”

A mug floated toward the man and he sipped from it. Dmitri slowly stalked into the room, still trying to take it all in; the cottage and the new information that is. Not sheathing his weapons, he relaxed his posture somewhat and stood in the doorway. After a moment, Dmitri spoke.

“What’s this about then? Who are you? This is my mother?”

“I am but a simple man who’s discovered a few simple things. Very important things, but simple nonetheless. And yes, yes of course. The Red Hand, murderer extraordinaire. Public enemy number one, and... your dear, sweet mother, who left you with a handsome but completely clueless and incompetent father.”

The woman spat and glared silently at the both of them, her struggling having regained its previous vigor. The man went on.

“I need a servant, Dmitri. I have things to do, big plans to hatch, people to see, bacon and eggs to eat… I can’t be bothered with hunting the bothersome creatures that attempt to undermine my causes. People and things, you understand.”

He stood suddenly and Dmitri’s muscles went to spring but nothing moved. He was powerless to do anything except watch as the man slowly walked toward him, his eyes suddenly replaced by two blazing white flames. Dmitri was cold. As the man got closer, he seemed to suck all the heat from Dmitri’s body. He moved past Dmitri’s face and whispered in his ear, chilling him to the bone.

“You and your mother or going to fight to the death. If you kill her, and serve me, I’ll grant you the power you seek. If she kills you, she’ll get the position, and become the nightmare Waterdeep couldn’t… dream… of.”

He backed away, showing a perfect set of tombstones, and the flames were gone.

“What you do with your power is up to you. I simply ask that you do a few favors for me every once in a while, hmm?”

He sat in the chair.

“Oh yes, and breakfast is waiting for the victor… Well? What are you waiting for? I’ve got all morning, but you don’t.”

The woman rocketed out of the chair and tackled Dmitri. They rolled out the door clawing at each other. The fight felt like it lasted forever. Blurs of red streamed across the beach. Red hair, red knives. Red sand that hadn’t been red before. The traps Dmitri had set did their dirty work well, but not before his own knives were heated by some magic of his mother’s and used against him, searing off the majority of his left hand and much of his left thigh.

Multiple stab wounds, heavy burns, and the much heavier weight of the knowledge that he had killed his mother whom he’d just met all made the short walk back to the cottage excruciatingly painful. He collapsed, face-up, eyes streaming from the physical and emotional pain. The last thing he saw was the smiling gentleman looking down at him, white eyes ablaze.

The power from the gentleman was amazing at first. He could do things he never dreamed of, was faster, stronger than he was before. And most importantly, his mind was sharpened. He could use magic now. It felt good, the raw, invigorating, arcane power running through his veins. Every so often, the gentleman would tell him how to do something else. But as he got used to the power, he began to feel cold more often. It was funny how it didn’t seem to bother him though. Things were different now, but that was okay.

The first thing the gentleman asked him to do was to wipe out the rest of his father's progeny. They were stupid and would only slow down the operation. Father was furious when he found out, but of course, nobody knew who had murdered his other sons in their sleep. Dmitri was out of the question for sure. He was out of town that week. And the new hire was so incompetent he could hardly fight, much less break into two separate homes in the same night and murder two strong men in their sleep. But, the new hire quit the next day. Said he’d had enough. He went back to his tiny shack and dropped the magical disguise, flowing bright red hair dropping to his shoulders. On the table was a letter. It was from a mysterious sender who notified him that the murders had been observed and if he didn’t want to end up on every hit-list in the region, he would do exactly as they said. Ten years of his time, no more, no less. That was what they wanted.

So Dmitri became the servant of two masters, neither fully happily, but certainly dutifully. He left Waterdeep, doing contracts for both patrons for almost a decade, bringing in individuals dead and alive to authorities in cities and towns across the sword coast. Friends he hadn’t seen in a while swore he hadn’t aged a day since they last laid eyes on him. Tattoos became something of a hobby for Dmitri. Something to spend his extra money on. And the gentleman said he had more for Dmitri. Power of which he could only dream.

Last edited:
Hey there, took a quick gander at your sheet. Couple things I'd note:

Sheet:
- You have "Armor of Agathys" listed under conditions, but don't have the spell learned.
- With leather armor your AC would be 11 + DEX, so 14 in your case.
- I think you accidentally overwrote your Strength saves box, copy paste this into it: =if($H$14<>"",if(H17<>0,$H$14,0)+C13,"")
- I'd recommend adding your "Among the Dead" feature that you get as a level 1 undying warlock to your features and traits box.
- Just to be nitpicky I'd add the Urban Bounty Hunter background feature "Ear to the Ground" onto there as well, might not come up as written that often but that expertise might be relevant during the course of the game, you never know!
- I assume the Imp statblock is supposed to represent a future familiar you plan on getting, but please confirm that it's the case since you wouldn't get one until level 3 warlock.

Backstory:

I do love the detail, though I would perhaps turn it down on the power scale a bit. You are level 1 after all, and even though I'd let the earlier bounty hunter achievments slide because of your great stats, you mechanically speaking Dmitri wouldn't be able to achieve the things you mentioned in the latter half of the story just yet. (You don't have mask of many faces yet, and Dmitri's mom sounds badass enough to far overpower a measly level 1 character :P ) A decade of experience with warlock stuff would absolutely be past first level imo.

I would perhaps tune it back to where he's just gotten his powers and learning to use them, and change the fight with the mother to some other way of earning the patron's favor. We can work together to figure out something for both the patron and the mother, if you'd like :)

Let me know on Discord if you have any questions!

Character Sheet Link: Dmitri - Character Sheet
Preferred Game Speed: A few posts a day, most likely.
Backstory: Dmitri grew up the son of a powerful crime syndicate boss in Waterdeep. He never knew his elven mother, and both of his older brothers were born of other, human women, so he was ostracized from the outset as different. A half-elf bastard. His bright red hair, which he could have only gotten from his mother, didn't help much either, and he stood out like a sore thumb everywhere he went. At an early age, Dmitri trained with a few of his father's reconnaissance men, bodyguards and the like, learning the art of hunting other people. He began pulling in people who ran from his father at the age of 18, and offered his services to other high-paying patrons. With so much coin so early in life, he began drinking and partying with his so called "friends", who mostly consisted of mediocre university students and other young people, usually involved with the underworld in some way. Life was fun, and Dmitri met a young half-elven woman named Ysolda who took his breath away. She was a budding actress, beautiful, and very talented. She stayed with him for two years, swearing to be true. Then, when his money ran out, she promptly “forgot” how much she loved him and found another young rich fool to leech off of. Angry and bitter, he worked harder than ever then, but money could only do so much. Four years went by and he got hooked on tattoos and liquor. The motifs on his body ranged from nature, to the more eclectic monsters he’d encountered in both his travels and in the books he read. In addition, after a successful job, he would often get blackout drunk and wake up with his hard-earned gold completely gone.

He was good at what he did, but more often than not now, the quarry he was contracted to catch had abilities that made catching them difficult, sometimes impossible. He failed more than he liked; as determined as he was, he couldn’t always catch them. He needed magic. He had a few friends who studied the arcane, but they had trained their whole lives to reach abilities that were far below the power that he needed to attain to bring down the most elusive and slippery of Waterdeep. So in his free time, he spent hours training and searching for ways to gain magical abilities in a shorter amount of time. The only thing he found during this time was a symbol of an ankh, but any further research seemed useless. Every path to greater power always seemed to include the eastern symbol. After a few months of frustration and fruitless research, he gave up and took a job that, to him at least, seemed way out of his league. The target was an elusive serial murderer with the alias “The Red Hand”. They had dispatched a few bounty hunters and reward seekers already, and seemed to especially enjoy taking out up-and-coming adventurers. The bounty was higher than previous jobs, and he wanted to test himself. To see if he really was as good as father seemed to think he was. Little did he know, this job would change his life for good...

<-------------------------------->

Pain, anger, regret, fear. There was a mix of emotions washing all over Dmitri, enveloping him, drowning him as the cobblestones beneath him dripped wet with his own blood. He'd thought it was just the one goon, nothing more than a tail, but one wrong turn and suddenly there was a blur of people all around him. There was no time to even draw a breath, let alone a weapon -- and he was down, left to bleed out in some nondescript alley in Waterdeep where no one would find him until the morning. Where no one would miss him.

Click, clack, click. At the edge of losing consciousness the nearly dead man hears a sound approaching, methodical and controlled in complete contrast to the chaos all around him. The tap of a cane and the click of a pair of leather shoes, in perfect rhythm, until they stop but a foot or two away from Dmitri's face. "My, my... what have we here?" A voice calls out to him from above, just out of the angle that Dmitri could strain his neck without experiencing immense pain. "Another poor maggot, left to writhe and rot in the dirt for naught." He rests both his hands on his walking cane, holding it out in front of him just inches from Dmitri's face. Even in the dead of night it stands out how inky black the wood is stained, almost like a void. "Any last words before you meet your grisly fate, boy? You're one of the lucky ones, you at least have someone listening."

Dmitri coughs up some more blood. He can’t remember how long he’s been there, flayed out on the uneven ground, his leg twisted in an unnatural position and his body feeling like a ton of bricks. The clack of the stranger’s boots anchors his drifting consciousness and he cranes his neck, straining to see. Immediately, he groans in pain and abandons the attempt. Everything hurts, and not just physically. He spits back, now attempting to focus on the slick cobblestones, “And why should you care? Listening to another’s problems is just something for old wives who--” Another bout of wet coughing. “--who have nothing better to do.” A pause. “If you’re going to kill me, do it quickly. I don’t have all day...” He chuckles, but the sound ends up being more of a gurgle.

"Kill you? I suppose I could, though that'd be terribly boring," the man notes, twirling his cane idly as he squats down in front of Dmitri. Out of the corner of his eye the half-dead half-elf could barely make out the face of a wizened old man, streaks of white in his dark hair matching the snow white cataracts in his eyes. Even more apparent was the smirk of amusement on his face as he seems to look the failed bounty hunter up and down. "Pardon an old man trying to amuse himself in this drab, dull place they're calling a city nowadays. The common thugs here can't even be bothered to finish someone off properly, tsk tsk." He shakes his head in disappointment, as if it were all but a sport to spectate, before reaching into his front trench coat pocket and pulling out what appears to be a small silver pocket watch. It opens up with a soft click, and he seems to stare at it for a second as the soft 'tick-tocks' fill the alleyway. “You're right boy, you don't have all day. To be precise, you have approximately five minutes and twenty-two seconds before you bleed out. Unless...” he locks eyes with Dmitri, raising an eyebrow. “You'd like a bit more time than that?”

Dmitri spits out the current welling of blood in his mouth, the red liquid forming tiny streams that pool a few paces away where a few rats lap at a mix of vile smelling sludge. “That’s a pretty specific amount of time, Sir.” He figures it would pay in situation to be a little more respectful, but chokes on the last word, then pauses and seems to think hard about what the man had said. He twitches, more out of a desire to move without causing himself pain than anything else. It doesn’t work and another groan escapes. “Well I can’t really move, and I don’t really have a reason to doubt the truth of your statement. I guess if I’m to spend the last few minutes of my life lying this gods-forsaken street, I’d—" A pause, and another slight cough. ”—I’d find your company much more agreeable than that of the rats.” Dmitri breathes a slow, heavy, wet breath. The man’s cataracts seem to burrow into his soul, seeing everything. He feels completely exposed, and the feeling’s lack of comfort almost rivals that of the bruises he’s currently resting on. “I don’t have much choice in the matter, do I? Sir.”

"Of course you have a choice. A choice between making amends with the fact that you'll find your end staining the streets of this wretched city like countless others, and borrowing a bit of time from an old man who has plenty to share." The man almost seems to smile as he leans in a bit closer, the ticking of the pocket watch filling the damp air around them. "They say time is money, and yet it has been awfully difficult to buy myself a bit of company." He holds out the hand with the pocket watch towards Dmitri, though it is less in expectation and more in gesticulation. "Still, if you're offering... let's make a deal, shall we? Share some time with me, and I'll ensure it's time well spent."

Dmitri manages to break eye contact with the man and thinks back to his childhood, to Martin and Rain teaching him how to properly hold a throwing knife and release it. He thinks back to the few times father had actually smiled at him. To the feeling of satisfaction when he’d first felt the well-deserved weight of coin from a successful contract. The cheers of “Surprise!” from a few hidden friends in The Ravenous Raven when he arrived back from a family trip on this birthday. The wind in his hair, the sand in-between his toes. And he thinks of the countless times he’d been kicked and beaten, only a few moments before. An anger stirs within him, mixed with a strange feeling of gratefulness to this strange man that seemed to want to help him. By the look in the man’s eyes moments before, there would be a price to pay. Men like him didn’t help broken people for free. But to have a second chance to experience what loved, to exact revenge on those poor excuses for men who’d left him for dead, oh it was well worth the chance. He would pay, no matter the cost. As he looks the man in the eyes again, this time, the disconcerting probing doesn’t seem to bother him quite as much. He coughs, the sound joining the lapping of the rats and ticking from the pocket-watch counting down the seconds of his life. “What kind of deal?”
"I meant what I said. I deal in time, and so time is what I offer to you. Specifically, this time," he replies, gesturing to the watch once more. "But you will spend that time with me, in my service. Are those terms agreeable?"

“That’s fine by me.” Another wet cough from Dmitri. “Need me to sign somewhere? Got plenty of blood... no pen though...” He winces as he smirks.

"I think a verbal agreement will do for now," the man says with a grim smirk. "I knew you were an interesting one, the moment I laid eyes on that unfortunate ambush. Perhaps there will be a little time left over for that someday." He clicks the button on the side of the pocket watch, and as the incessant ticking finally stops Dmitri feels himself drifting out of consciousness, until everything goes black...

Dmitri blinks his eyes open to a blinding light, a flood of illumination compared to the darkness of the alleyway. Slowly he comes to his senses as the world seems to come into focus around him... among other things, the smell of fried oil in the air and the distant sizzling of skillets. Beneath him he clutches at fluffy blankets on the edge of a small bed; his bloodstained clothes were replaced with a humble tunic and pants, loose for his size. Opposite the bed, seated on a comfy looking chair in what Dmitri now realizes is a luxurious tavern room, sits the man from before. "Had a nice nap, lad?" He smiles warmly, seated remarkably close to the roaring fireplace nearby though his skin remains noticeably pale beneath his thick coat and clothing. "A good rest is beneficial for the wayward soul... though it wouldn't be good to get used to sleeping on the job. Oh, I'm getting ahead of myself -- proper introductions are in order." He leans forward, knuckles tightening on his cane as he looks back to Dmitri once more, his pale white eyes almost seeming... warm, now. "My name is Marcellus Griswolde and you, my dear Dmitri, shall henceforth serve as my retainer. We can chat on the finer details of the position but first things first -- put on a pot of tea, would you kindly?"

<-------------------------------->

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread