• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Curse of Strahd [CLOSED]

You gather up your newly-acquired gear and hastily retreat back along the small footpath to the main trail and follow it in the northeast direction that Luca said would take you toward the town of Vallaki, by way of the Raven River Crossroads.

trail widens.jpgResuming a more regular pace, you have some time to examine or reallocate the items from the clearing, and to reflect on recent events. After a while, Moire starts hearing an unfamiliar buzzing noise that she eventually realizes is Vanwandir snoring inside her jacket.

The cloudy sky has grown somewhat darker. It's definitely getting to be later in the day. There's a cold wind at your backs as the muddy trail slopes gently uphill in front of you and broadens to accommodate multiple sets of wheel tracks.

You've been traveling a total of maybe fifteen minutes when you hear the howling of wolves again, coming from behind you, sounding a bit closer than they did back at the clearing. Instinctively, you look back. In doing so, Ina glimpses a piece of dark blue cloth protruding from the hollow of a nearby tree.

Last edited:
Ina is in the process of showing the others the flyer that was tucked into the leather armour when the wolves howl.

"Do they have a thing about wolves here, do you think?" She raises an eyebrow, pointing at the bottom line, "anyone else feel like that's a threat? We should probably-" she spins at the noise, the flyer crumpled against the handle of her crossbow as she aims it back the way they came. After a moment of stillness, she gestures with the tip of the weapon at the blue fabric she'd spotted.

"What do you think? Related to the 'trap'? 'Free pickings up ahead!'"

Despite her pains, the travel has thoroughly warmed up Moire's body and she's eager for the road and their destination ahead. The sound of the wolves provides further incentive and she's itching to go, even as she glances back to see if the wolves are in sight. No, not yet, but not long either. Of course, now that they were on the trail, they'd make better time and could probably sustain a faster forced march pace to outpace those wolves. Sooner or later, the beasts would give way to a search for easier prey, especially if the party made it to a road.

"It's worth a quick look," Moire says a bit reluctantly. "If it was meant to be a trap, it's a pretty poor one. We'd have missed it entirely if the wolves hadn't made us look."

With every inconvenience, unpleasant surprise, threat to his life, and high stakes decision, Tegan grows increasingly impatient.

"A cloth?" he exclaims with equal parts bewilderment and exasperation. "Our attentions are diverted by a cloth stuck in a knothole while we are pursued by the most vengeful lot of beasts I've ever encountered?"

Tegan mumbles to himself as he moves at a hurried pace toward the tree, firmly grasping the cloth and giving it a forceful yank.

That part of the material still inside the hollow catches briefly before coming loose with a tearing noise. Tegan holds, by one cuff, a pair of dark green trousers of a size appropriate for an adult human or elf. The garment is clean and in good shape overall, save for the fresh rip in the seat. More pieces of clothing are dimly visible in the eye-level hollow.

Tegan looks at his handiwork and in an instant his foul mood is abated by the thought of the trousers' owner returning to the tree from bathing, to find that they've been fated to return to town in the nude.

Chuckling to himself, Tegan drops a shoulder to swing the backpack around, grabbing the other items in the hollow and stuffing them into the sack before returning to the path. Pleased with his mischief, he wears a smirk.

"Suppose we'll need to keep an eye out for nudists." he says to the group.

"This place is getting weirder and weirder," Ina sighs as Tegan retrieves the clothing, her mouth twitching slightly at his comment as she recalls similar pranks she pulled in her youth, though the clothes she took back then were usually from wardrobes rather than trees. Her fingers ache to reach for the ring that she ordinarily wore on a chain round her neck, the comforting weight now only in her mind. Letting out another small sigh, she pushes the thought from her mind and uncurls the flyer again, handing it to Hircus so she can keep both hands on the crossbow, wary of the wolves - or some other yet unknown predator - getting the jump on them.

Last edited:
Hircus stops and turns toward the howling wolves that are very clearly tracking the four of them. He is feeling a little more confident with a hammer in his hands, but the armor he acquired is doing very little but slow him down. With a heavy sigh, he watches as Ina and Tegan pillage the hole of a well-dressed squirrel. "If you are finished searching for tree hole spoils might I suggest we continue on down the road. What is that, pants? Are you expecting to clothe these wolves to death?" says Hircus as he turns to continue down the trail shaking his head.

Hircus picks a sharp stone from the ground and uses it to scratch a crude drawing of an open right hand onto the hammer's hilt as they walk. I do not know what went wrong back there when I called on Torm's light, but I do not want to witness such blasphemy again. Maybe this'll help.

Tegan adds the trousers, shirt, underclothes and muddy shoes from the hollow to his pack. Then, with Hircus in the lead, you all continue on the trail, picking up the pace considerably in light of the wolves.

Another quarter-hour traveling uphill at this clip and you finally reach a proper dirt road, flatter and broader than the trail you've been on, and less closed-in by the forest. You can see the imposing mountains to the north and south, their upper slopes lost in the fog, as well as a tree-covered hill rising up a mile or two to the east. This must be the crossroads, because there are a number of branches leading off. Helpfully, the arrows of a weatherworn signpost suggest what lies along three of the possible routes:
  • The trail you've been on is signed, Wizard of Wines. A hand-written note nailed to the sign says, "Sorry temporarily closed. Unsafe."
  • The main road going northwest apparently leads someplace called Krezk. Looking down the road in that direction, you see a stone bridge about a quarter mile away. You hear the sound of rushing water there as well.
  • The road running east goes to Vallaki, where Luca urged you to seek refuge.
A bit farther to the east of the signpost, there are also two unsigned trails:
  • A modest footpath leading into the woods on the north side of the road
  • A more substantial trail, comparable to the one you were just traveling, that heads south, through the forest, towards the mountain in that direction.
It's getting a bit colder, and tiny flecks of rain tentatively brush your faces. The trees to either side sway gently in the wind. Vanwandir's snoring has subsided, but Moire can still feel the soft, tiny presence breathing in and out against her ribs.

Last edited:
The name Krezk on the signpost is somewhat familiar to all of you, though you know not why, save for Tegan, who experiences another vivid vision like the one back at the Wizard sign. The rest of you see his eyes close and his lips tremble. He wavers briefly and sits down in the road.

cards.jpgIn a dim, smokey tavern, Tegan shares a fireside table with two other men—one heavyset and bearded, the other a pipe-smoker with a large wen on his forehead. Both hold glasses of wine and there's another glass by Tegan's hand. A deck of greasy-looking playing cards is fanned out on the table. Coins are piled in front of everyone.

"Well, Mr. Farborn," says the heavyset man with a wide grin, "let me say it is good have you back, though I am sorry you did not achieve that which you set out to. Still, I am glad you are safe and sound. Not many have tried to enter the castle uninvited and lived to tell the tale."

"Since you have not succeeded, what next? Time to give up? You can no more leave this valley than any of us. Will you settle down here and start a family? Grow old and die?"

"My cousin in Vallaki looks to marry," volunteers the man with the wen.

"No, none of that for Mister Farborn. It is too...sedentary. Here is something though: The hunters say there is a woman who gathers other outsiders like Farborn for a great war against the Devil himself. She would set us all free. How does that sound? Maybe she will welcome you into her ranks, Mr. Farborn. Surely they will try for the castle. Let them open the way, then you can slip off and be about your business. You should at least go see for yourself. The hunter Ivan says she and her followers have occupied the old abbey above Krezk."

"You see now, how much we missed you? I give you this information for free, save for the coins we are about to take from you here tonight!"

The two men drink a toast to Tegan, then the one with the wen gathers up the cards and begins shuffling. The vision fades

For the next minute, Tegan experiences the achingly-delicious taste of wine on his palate and his ears are filled with the rustling of cards being shuffled, which sound turns out to be the beating wings of an unkindness of ravens, rising from the woods to take flight.

Last edited:
Tegan's sight goes dark and as if emerging from a dark pool, his true surroundings slowly come into focus. He lifts his hands from the dirt, rubbing his fingers into his palms, the physical sensation of small pebbles scraping against his skin grounding him to this reality.

Tegan licks his lips and looks at his companions. "What? Am I truly expected to not take wine when it's offered by these..." he turns his head, eyes searching "gentlemen?"

Walking to the center of the crossroads and spinning around Hircus notices that Tegan has slumped to the ground. "Tegan? Lad, are you so drained from a brisk walk that...", He stops himself mid-sentence when he realizes that there is something wrong with the man. Hircus hikes his pack up his back a bit more then scans the area for anything or anyone. What a perplexing hold this place has on us?

Seeing Hircus has Tegan well in hand, Moire looks at her friend with some considerable concern but continues facing the signs. After choosing between them, she points out the road leading east.

"Vallaki evidently lies this way. Those friendly strangers suggested it would be a refuge for us. I see no reason to take them at their word. We're badly in need of rest. We may turn up some coin if we dig through these pockets," the Paladin adds, tugging on one of the pouches on her pack. "Or we may need to earn a little but I imagine all of us will do better once we've had a hot meal and a good night's sleep. What do you say? To Vallaki?"

foggy foothills.jpgThe road to Vallaki turns southeast, then northeast to circumvent the tree-covered hill at the center of the valley. After about a mile you pass an unmarked trail going south towards the fog-shrouded foothills of the mountain.

A further two mile trek on the curving road brings you to another crossroads, with trails leading off the main road on either side. The signpost here has snapped off, leaving a jagged wooden stake rising from the earth. The top half and its signs are nowhere to be seen. Assuming Vallaki lies straight you should cross the stone bridge that arches over a roaring river gorge to the east before entering the woods again on the opposite bank.

It's been about an hour since you left the clearing. Hircus has to slow briefly to work out a stitch in his side. Moire feels Vanwandir squirm restlessly in her jacket. "Oh, Loopanom, I must have dozed off. Are we there yet?" asks the familiar's drowsy voice.

Moire also hears panting, and in the late afternoon's gray light she sees shadows moving among the trees on the side of the crossroads from which you came. There are at least six creatures there—easily the wolves, if they've really followed you this far. The rest of you see them too.

As the party makes it way down the road, Moire grimaces slightly at the sight of those foothills and the fog in general. "This is the best visibility we've had since arriving in this land, and it's still not much visibility. I suppose it's a blessing we can see the sun well enough to know east from west."

The snapped signpost seems an ominous sign and, sure enough, the panting that follows them confirms that the doom she's felt since waking earlier today continues to haunt the four of them. With one hand going to the axe, Moire says to Vanwandir, "Nearly. There's at least six wolves though. I think we'll have to make a run for it." Speaking up for the rest of the party, the Paladin continues. "I can't believe they've followed us this far. I'd guess these hills are overhunted, if there's so little other prey easier than we are, yet the lack of habitation suggests the opposite is probably the case. None of this makes any sense to me. But there'll be no speculation at all if they catch us, here, on open ground without the trees to provide us cover or to slow them down. We still have a slight advantage in lead. I say we make for the bridge, make our stand there where they can't flank us. What do you say, my friends?"

"I can continue and I am thinking the same as you Moire. If we can get across the bridge we will be able to control their attack and prevent being surrounded. I only wish I had the time to don this damned armor." Hircus hikes the heavy pack one more time being careful to not tear the side any more than it already is. In his head, Hircus is trying to fight down the fear that has been building since the gravesite. He cannot reconcile what he witnessed in the radiance with what he has come to know as Torm's light.

I can't think of this now. I need to stay on task. These three need me focused and ready to fight. He instinctively reaches for the hilt of the hammer and is reassured this time. He fingers the area that he carved the crude symbol of Torm and repeats a short mantra under his breath, "My hand is Torm's hand."

Ina feels a chill run down her spine, the realisation that they're being stalked causing her heart to thump erratically. Not for the first time, she wondered if she'd been a little overzealous about joining the adventuring life. She supposed she'd have to weigh up the options when they got home. If they got home. And who were they, anyway?

Elves, like many of the races blessed with long lives, didn't feel the passing of years like the "younger" races. But this missing time had left a hole, and Ina a pang of sadness for the stolen moments.

The elf accidentally lets out a short laugh as the panic bubbles inside her. If she didn't focus now then her friends would be completely lost to her, one way or another.

"They didn't make any move to actually fight us before, even when our only weapons were sticks," she muses, "Surely they wouldn't be foolish enough to attack now we have actual weapons? Vanwandir said they're smart enough to lay traps, after all..."

She trails off and glances surreptiously at their pursuers, biting her lip. "Running might be the best chance we have. I don't like it but... Well. I'll get there first so I can put this crossbow to good use if I need to. Shall we?"

Tegan thanks Hircus for the assistance, and brushes dirt from the back of his trousers. He thinks of his old companion, a fearsome mastiff, and how he would fearlessly keep watch at night and keep such nuisances at bay. "What I would give to have you here with me now, boy." Tegan thinks to himself.

"I'm with you Moire. Let's get to the bridge and make a stand and see just how hungry these wolves are."

Tegan bows and gestures with his spear as if to say "Shall we?"

Even as your muscles tense and you turn your bodies for the dash to the bridge, eight wolves rush out of the forest eighty feet away. These are no mangy curs like the beasts Hircus beat off earlier. Their pale gray coats are full and healthy, their legs long and muscular, their eyes clear and eager. Beautiful creatures, really, if they didn't seem so intent on killing you today.

You are in flight, sprinting for your lives with the wolves behind you and your ill-fitting backpacks jarring your spines with each step, when a cacophonous cawing blasts out. Any of you who glance back see an unreasonable number of large black birds burst from the trees on one side and swarm across the road, directly in the path of the wolves. Three of the charging canines get caught up in this host of beating wings and lose ground before bursting through the tide of feathers. It only lasts a moment, and then the birds swirl upwards, clearing the way for the wolves to barrel on.

Another glance back to see if the wolves are gaining reveals a ninth wolf, larger than the rest, and with a more lustrous coat. This beast does not run with the others, but follows behind them, strutting placidly with its tail in the air and its head held high.

It is perhaps the sight of this creature that causes Ina to wait too long before whipping her head back around to check the way ahead. When she does look forward, she sees her left foot about to plant into a tight hole in the road, the kind that can easily snap an ankle like dry kindling.

Meanwhile, the furry entity inside Moire's jacket struggles mightily. "Ugh! I can't breathe in here when you run like that! It's too cramped. Must get out!" rasps Vanwandir. Tiny claws scrabble up Moire's torso towards her collar.

Last edited:
Tegan stomps his feet to quickly come to a stop after his sprint and pivots on his heels to shift his momentum and turn arpund, placing him at the front of the group. The earth presses hard into his heels as the rest of his inertia is spent while he drops into a fighting stance at the mouth of the bridge, standing next to a small stone wall. He raises his shield, positions his spear and wears a nasty snarl while staring intently at the nearest wolves. Tegan is careful to keep the Alpha in his peripheral vision as long as he can.

Through gritted teeth he says "If we drop the alpha, they should disperse. Shoot true, Ina, he doesn't look like he'll get close soon."

Last edited:
"I don't know much about wolves but I can't imagine they'll press the fight if they get hurt or killed. Let's make them regret picking us for a meal!"

Finally drawing up at the bridge, Moire positions herself in the center of the three person blockade of the bridge. She unslings the shield from where she carried it over her backpack and hefts it in one hand. The other hand draws the handaxe and readies for battle. "My friends, may our Gods witness what we've endured here and see what strength lies in true friendship."

Ina half trips but rights herself, confusion growing in her at the sight of the lead Wolf behind the rest of the pack. Wolves, crows, toads, what next? The elf makes it to the bridge before the other, spinning on her heel to face the oncoming beasts and taking a shot out of pure desperation. Miss. Fuck. Reload. Breathe. Aim.

The tiny needle-sharp claws continue their frantic ascent of Moire's torso until, painfully, they reach the exposed flesh on her neck. Her collar bulges out and a tiny, pug-nosed face emerges. The little creature pulls itself out, extends its wings and moves to perch on Moire's shoulder.

"I hope this display of courage isn't for my benefit, Loopanom," says the bat with Vanwandir's voice. "I am fully prepared to accept your martial superiority over my erstwhile companions as an article of faith."

The eight wolves have drawn quite close. The bat that is somehow Vanwandir stretches its wings and hisses at them. One of the lead wolves suddenly scrambles to a stop, but the momentum of the pack is too mich, and it rolls to one side before righting itself again. It eyes you all warily and stands its ground twenty feet away.

The other seven wolves continue their headlong charge, coming all the way up to your front rank before you can react. The sides of bridge prevent more than three of them from attacking you at a time. Two wolves lunge at Hircus and one goes for Tegan's throat. A fourth wolf that was also aiming for Hircus gets pushed off to one side and is blocked by the wall at the lip of the bridge. The three wolves that were delayed by the ravens are close on the heals of the others.

Meanwhile, the magestic wolf at the rear continues at its relaxed pace. It comes within eighty feet or so and sits on its haunches in the middle of the road, watching.

Hircus has turned and faced the wolves as have the others. With the chainmail wrapped around his arm he uses it as a makeshift parry shield and wields his hammer in the other hand. "This does not seem a fight we can win, my family. Let us try to defend rather than attack. Keep them off the bridge."

Tegan locks eyes with the wolf charging toward him, gauging it's speed, looking for an opening. Time seems to slow as Tegan's focus intensifies and when the wolf has committed to its attack he thrusts the spear forward. The spear goes clear through the wolf's mouth and out the back of his neck. Tegan pulls the spear back, wolf in tow, and places a foot firmly on the canine's throat before removing his spear with a forceful jerk.

Tegan pivots while flipping the grip on his spear before planting it's tip between the ribs of one of the wolves harassing Hircus. The wolf makes an unusual sound as the air in its lungs is forcefully expressed by the invading object. As it collapses, Tegan knows he's that much closer to safety.

Tegan again removes his spear, though much easier this time and pounds it against his shield while surveying the remaining wolves.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back