• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Curse of Strahd [CLOSED]

The defensiveness of the travelers isn't especially surprising. Especially if these people routinely travel through woods that can come alive and attack unwary passerbys. The notion of being mistaken for a doppleganger is a new one; she's heard tales of face-stealers but little more than stories. This is the first time she's ever been mistaken for being one. The thought brings a bemused smile to the Paladin's face and she stands there, finding sympathy for their dilemma.

"I'm quite attached to my own face, thank you," Moire says. Her cheeks color faintly as she quickly adds, "Not that I think too much of my looks. I'm not a vain woman. ...At least not more so than any woman might be. Not that women are necessarily vain either." She stops her run away mouth and visibly pauses for a second.

Then she says "Let's try this again. Luca, Lala, Cappi, it's my pleasure to meet you." If they look inclined to shake hands, she offers. Otherwise, she keeps their distance if that makes them more comfortable.

"My friends and I are strangers here," Moire offers, judging that people who would not only introduce themselves but offer directions to a woman alone aren't likely to be a danger to three more. She gestures back towards the trees. "Four of us there are and we arrived...through the forest." She frowns, trying to think of how to share their incredible story and eventually deciding against it. It's too wild and she doesn't want them to think she's mad. "We came from neither the north nor the south, and we don't know these Kasht-gadjikane, these winemakers you mention nor Vallaki, whether it's a village or a town or city. Your directions are most welcome, though, my friends. Would that I had the means to repay your kindness."

Tegan gives a sigh of relief. Though he was prepared for it, he did not relish the thought of murder.

Tucking his aling into the back of his pants and adjusting his shirt to cover it, he walks forward with his hands in the air, one of them waiving.

"Howdy" he says, while flashing his brows.

Ina lets out the breath she’d been holding as she steps carefully out from the trees, tucking the knife back into her pocket and raising her hands slightly so the strangers can see she’s not ready to attack. She stands beside Moire, smiling in relief at her.

"Apologies for hiding, we were unsure what to expect. Even the plants seem to be hostile here," she grimaces.

Hircus stands and follows his companions. "It is quite a relief to find a friendly smiles on a road such as this." Hircus makes a show of brushing off his clothes and then walks toward the trail. "Torm guides us all." He says with a nod and massive smile.

Keeping his distance from the strangers Hircus let's Moire handle the rest of the conversation.

"I'm quite attached to my own face, thank you," Moire says. Her cheeks color faintly as she quickly adds, "Not that I think too much of my looks. I'm not a vain woman. ...At least not more so than any woman might be. Not that women are necessarily vain either." She stops her run away mouth and visibly pauses for a second.

Luca seems a bit bemused by this statement. "No, of course not, Moire. And we all know that the doppelgangers are only tales to frighten children and superstitious peasants." Lala crosses her arms and nods her head in firm agreement.

Then she says "Let's try this again. Luca, Lala, Cappi, it's my pleasure to meet you." If they look inclined to shake hands, she offers. Otherwise, she keeps their distance if that makes them more comfortable.

Luca steps forward to grasp Moire's extended hand firmly in both of his. "A pleasure indeed." He wears a scent that smells of cedar wood.

"My friends and I are strangers here," Moire offers, judging that people who would not only introduce themselves but offer directions to a woman alone aren't likely to be a danger to three more. She gestures back towards the trees. "Four of us there are and we arrived...through the forest." She frowns, trying to think of how to share their incredible story and eventually deciding against it. It's too wild and she doesn't want them to think she's mad. "We came from neither the north nor the south, and we don't know these Kasht-gadjikane, these winemakers you mention nor Vallaki, whether it's a village or a town or city. Your directions are most welcome, though, my friends. Would that I had the means to repay your kindness."

As Ina, Tegan and Hircus step out of the woods, Luca moves back a bit, and Lala and Cappi casually reposition themselves in a way that Hircus can appreciate would make it difficult for the four of you to encircle them. Cappi, the broad, tattooed one, sits on a log by the path, stretches his arms out and removes the crossbow from over his shoulder. He seems to become absorbed in inspecting the weapon's mechanisms, but Ina notes him stealing glances at her companions when their attention is directed elsewhere.

"Oh, Moire, you and your friends are clever," beams Luca. "No harm in that. It is good to be wary in a strange place. Had it been the Kasht-gadjikane on the path ... tch tch. You are not the first wanderers to walk through the mists and come here. By no means! Let it be our honor to welcome you to Barovia." He bows deeply. Like "Vallaki" the name "Barovia" resonates with all of you. It's like something from a story one hears as a child, then puts out of mind until several years later when someone repeats the story. Only it's not clear when that first time you heard it was exactly.

"Sadly, our path leads us south, or we would gladly accompany you up to the old town Vallaki. But, at the risk of making you feel further indebted—completely unnecessary I assure you—I will pass along something a little bird told me. Up the path a bit, past the winery, but not yet to the crossroads, you might find a faint trail into the woods. A most unfortunate group of individuals—other wanderers like yourselves—met a grisly end there. I hear that it was wild beasts that did for them, so had no interest in their possessions. Perhaps they may still be found there."

"As I said, we must continue south, but shall return soon to our camp outside Vallaki. If you wish to do us a favor, maybe you will come by in a day or two and visit. Maybe you will find a bottle or two of wine to share. Who knows? Tales of your travels before coming to Barovia would be most diverting. The people in Vallaki can tell you how to find the camp. Just ask them about the Vistani."

Luca looks over at Cappi, who stands up with the crossbow dangling in his hand. Lala straightens up and the three move to one side of the trail so that your groups may pass. Luca regards you all expectantly, waiting to see if you have any further words.

Last edited:
Ina inclines her head to the other group. "Thank you," She says, motioning for her companions to have a quick discussion, speaking low and quickly, keeping the strangers in the corner of her eye.

"I think we should try and get the equipment... it could be a trap," She hesitates, "but if it's on the way to town we could always assess it. By some strange magic we're in an unknown land with nothing to our names. We don't even know each other - not really. This equipment could give us a few coins for food if nothing else - those berries won't last forever." She shrugs."I don't see what other choice we have."

As Tegan moves closer to Ina at her beckoning he addresses the travelers and says "Thank you, dearly. We'll keep an eye out for savage beasts."

He slows to lengthen his stride, locks eyes with Lala and flashes a knowing smile.

"You know, where we're from, the little birdies are strong enough to carry off small fortunes as well as weapons." Tegan makes an exaggerated frown "It's always so sad when they choke on the coins or accidentally stick themselves with the pointy ends..." he shrugs "... but I digress, thanks for the tip. Maybe your land's birdies left behind something useful."

He continues over toward Ina. While giving Hircus and Moire a cynicical look, thinking "So glad we spared the lives of a band of corpse robbers." fully aware of and indifferent toward the irony of his thought.

Lala.jpgLala wrinkles her nose and half sneers at Tegan's ornithological disquisition, while Luca clears his throat and picks up the allegory. "I think perhaps you will find the birds of Barovia much the same as elsewhere—the mourning dove, the barn swallow, the owl, the bloodhawk, the meadowlark, the grosbeak, the raven. The list goes on. But the trees are not so fruitful, and the birds must find nourishment and build their nests how they may. You will see, my friend." He snaps his fingers at Lala and she backs up a step.

The young woman turns her attention from Tegan to Ina. "Birds are the same, but she is not a real elf."

"Tch, tch, tch," mutters Luca. "That is not putting it very nicely, dear. I am sorry friends. Lala means elves here are different—a sad old tale we can share if you visit our camp. Of course anyone can see you are quite real."

"And now, Moire and companions, we say farewell for the time being. You have passed the mists and will find your new home in Barovia. Good fortune on your travels and may the Mother look down lovingly on the traveler by night." The three begin to walk away down the trail, which turns out of sight sixty or seventy feet from where you stand. As they near the bend, Cappi turns about to face you and touches his free hand to his forehead in a parting salute.

Moire returns the salute and smiles fondly after the travelers. So helpful!

"I think I would like to pay them a visit," she says to her companions as they turn to head north to Vallaki. "How do you feel about investigating that detour they suggested? For my part, I suspect the potential of a trap or at least an ambush. But then, they can plainly see we have nothing of value so there'd be little point in luring us to robbers. Shall we see if we can at least rearm ourselves before town? I for one would like the potential of earning my bread instead of begging for it."

Hircus watches the travelers walk away as he reruns the conversation in his head. Barovia? So familiar, something… A vision takes over and Hircus is back in his temple, facing a human woman in her 20s with pale skin, short dark hair and a breastplate bearing the sunrise symbol of Lathander.

The woman speaks, "Yesterday, you sent my lieutenant away. Now I stand before you to plead for help. Might we pray together and ask Torm's counsel regarding the poor souls of Barovia, trapped in the mists?”

Hircus tried to look resolute, yet pities this woman. He responds, "Please, you must understand. I have been tasked by my order to leave this temple and follow the path to repel those that threaten Torm's order. It sounds to me that you are on a divergent road. I was forced by war to abandon this call many years ago, and now on the eve of my leaving you ask me to once more disregard Torm's will to follow you to where? Barovia? I have never heard of this land. If you must have confirmation, please kneel here and pray with me now. We will ask for guidance from Torm." Hircus takes one knee and puts one of his large hands on the woman's shoulder. Bowing his head he begins, "Torm! You can see many roads below you as you gaze down from your winged mount. Show me my one true path."

Minutes later Hircus is back in the forest with his companions having difficulty shaking off the trance he just broke from.

Last edited:
forest-path.jpgThe trail through the misty woods appears to be well-traveled by people on foot. Trees bend overhead, shading the path and creating a closed-in feeling, which is enhanced by the frequent wafts of fog that drift about. Maybe it's the recent archly allegorical discussion of birds influencing your perceptions, but you're quite aware of myriad squawks, trills and chirrups as you make your way north.

It's maybe a half hour later when you reach a place where the foot path joins a wide trail running west and northeast. There are wheel marks here. A heavy cart or wagon has clearly made several trips. As you turn about to get your bearings, you see that the trees behind you bear red blazes and other warning marks that would alert travelers to turn back from where you just came.

One of the trees on the northeast trail has a worn sign nailed to it that reads, "Raven River Crossing". There is also a sign on the trail leading west, considerably more worn than the other. You can barely make out the faint word "Wizard" written above an illustration.

wow_worn.jpg

wow_fresh.jpgOn seeing the worn "Wizard" sign, Tegan experiences a sudden, vivid vision of the sign in far better repair. Tegan still stands at the crossroads, but Ina, Hircus and Moire are nowhere to be seen, while a young, dark-haired man behind him continues babbling on, "...it is really so kind of you to come here and examine our grapes, Mr. Fieldsboon. If you can do just half of what you say for our yields, my father will be over the moon! And those damned beetles, you really think you can get rid of them? Gosh, I can't hardly believe it! You'll want to meet this other fellow who's staying up at the house. He's a traveler from far away just like you, Mr. Fieldsboon."

The vision fades and Tegan is back at the intersection with the others.

Last edited:
"Not a real elf?" Ina scoffs under her breath as they continue onwards, twirling the knife absently in her hand. She perks up a little when they reach the sign, palpably relieved by the indications of arriving somewhere less...wild. "Ooh, a wizard. I've never met a wizard. Should we head north still? I'm with Moire about the detour - we're hardly targets right now, hopefully there'll be something of value for us left. We can't enter town as beggars." She talks quickly, the reality of their situation somewhat sinking in. She hops lightly from foot to foot and looks over at the tracks in the dirt.

"It is not a bad idea to take a quick look-see. At the very least we may lay them to rest with a proper burial." Hircus states as he plods along. His mood begins to turn more positive after finding the road and realizing that they are not lost in an unknown forest. As he walks he recounts Tormish tales of travel and conquest over evil.

Tegan approaches the sign and runs his fingers across it while muttering to himself. "Grapes... Fieldsboon..."

He says to his companions "I've seen this sign before, but it was much younger then, the colors still vibrant. There was something about a lodgings around, possibly the house we saw before?"

Ina looks over at Tegan, her expression quizzical. "You've been here before?" Her eyes narrow slightly as if she's trying to glean more information from him. "I'm not sure we should stay anyway besides town until we know more about this place. Do you know more?"

"Not at the moment, no, and I'm not sure town would be an idyllic resting place. We are destitute vagrants, easy pickings. Perhaps it's for the best that we visit these lodgings. I don't recall any sense of danger from the place."

Tegan says this while leaning against the tree supporting the sign.

"Destitute indeed. I do not savor the idea of stealing from the dead, but we must do something to improve our situation. Let us move now before I change my mind." Hircus picks up his pace and heads toward the site described by the travelers. As he walks he mutters his prayers and absent-mindedly reaches for his hammer which is not there. He quietly admonishes himself, then shakes his head. "When I served the Knights in my youth I would often be walking alongside their supply wagons as we moved from place to place. They would say to me, 'Hircus, what story do you have for us today?'. I would be expected to tell them a story of one of the many knights I have served, and it was an easy task. I have been near when many battles were won and lost, the sound of clashing swords even today ring in my ears." Hircus bows his head for a second, "My point! What was my point? Ah, well we need not wallow in our dire predicament while we still have two feet to plant on the road ahead of us. It is clear that Torm still guides me and...", Hircus pauses again with a nod of his head, "all is not lost, and uh...", he trails off and reaches for his hammer which is not there.

The trail heading northeast, towards the Raven River Crossing, continues to be wider than the simple footpath that came before. The tree branches on either side no longer reach across overhead, so you can see the gray-white clouds that are all Barovia has offered thus far in the way of sky.

Bit by bit the ground grades lower. This gradual slope, paired with the open canopy, has invited rainwater to collect in the old wagon ruts, making for a muddy trek.

You've been traveling maybe a half hour from the intersection when Ina spots a faint footpath winding into the woods from the right side of the trail. Even she might not have noticed it if you hadn't been on the lookout. More difficult to miss is the whiff of decomposing bodies, a rank odor well-known to Hircus and Moire.

There's a movement among the trees, and you all see a lean, haggard wolf maybe fifty feet into the woods, in the same direction the narrow path leads. The beast meets your eyes, then lowers its head and moves deeper into the forest.

Ina smiles at Hircus as he talks, putting a hand on his shoulder and squeezing it. As they get further down the trail, Ina pauses, pointing out the faint trail she sees to the others, "I think that’s where, oh gods is that-" she raises a hand to cover her mouth and nose. Her eyes widen at the wolf and she lowers her voice, the sound slightly muffled behind her hand, "You know in some cultures they consider starving wolves to be a bad omen..."

Moire finds herself enjoying the hike, at least until she smells the dead. With a sigh, she shifts her quarterstaff from one hand to two at the sight of the wolf. But seeing it moving on ahead of them, she's content to let it go.

Except, of course, it's going right where they wish to go.

"This is our chance to turn back, I suppose," Moire says, smiling slightly at the risk in front of them. "For my part, I'll hold out hope that if we can smell these unfortunate bodies, they're close. So however far that wolf travels, it will hopefully be farther than we need to go. I suppose it could have dragged the bodies into its lair, though, and wolves are rarely found alone. But so long as we are cautious, we may spot an ambush before it happens. And perhaps our alertness will deter that wolf or any friends he may have from trying it."

"Shall we?"

Last edited:
"If it weren't for this cursed fog over my memories I would say that this is definitely the worst day I have ever experienced." Hircus nervously shifts from one foot to the other then makes up his mind and continues, "Where there is one wolf there are many wolves. They are undoubtedly here for the same reason that we are, but they are looting the dead of the dead. Yes, Moire. We shall."

As he continues forward Hircus looks in the nearby trees to see if he can find a thick piece of wood to use as a club. A bare-fisted brawl with a wolf seems like a quick way to release my soul from this plane. There must be something I can use as a weapon.

Ina shrugs and pulls the knife from her pocket. "Let me go first, I'll check out whether there's a pack, or an ambush, or just...ugh. Sorry - this smell - ugh. I'll let you know what I find. If you don't hear from me in say, 5 minutes - try and remember me this time?" Her eyes crinkle into a smile and she mock bows as she makes her way carefully down the trail.

Tegan follows Hircus' example and searches the nearby debris for something club-like. After finding a suitable log, he tucks the sling in his waistband and gives his new weapon a few test swings.

He nods to his allies.

From the viewpoint of the main trail, Ina disappears into the trees at the same distance of fifty or so feet where the wolf moved out of sight. Hircus, Tegan are Moire are left to await her return.

Just a few minutes on, following the meandering trail and the sickly smell, Ina comes to a place where a small clearing is visible, the scene of the carnage--bits of color and the glint of metal, the buzz of flies, the wet sounds of chewing. There are three humanoid bodies, two dead wolves and three live, scrawny wolves. The body closest to Ina is a human man, horribly mutilated. The other two bodies are farther away, surrounded by the feasting wolves.

On the ground next to the nearby corpse are a heavy maul, four wooden javelins, a backpack with a length of rope on top of it and a wooden shield adorned with the skin and fur of a wolf's head.

As for the other two bodies currently absorbing the wolves' attention, one is clearly wearing metal armor and a metal shield. Other items are only partly visible in the underbrush.

The wolves show no sign of noticing Ina and continue feasting.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back