• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Futuristic (Social) OOC

Which Stories Are You Most Interested In?

• The Formation of Guild "Week"

• The Rise of the Group "PK Fire"

• The Circumstances of the Accused

• The Secrets of the Blackland

Results are only viewable after voting.
L
Created at
Index progress
Complete

This index connects to the other parts of the RP. Think of this as the RP highway. Safe travels. Don't get lost!
@Kirwinning

@Sunbather

@BlueInPassing

@IG42

@Kalin Scarlet

Here is the introduction I have. That is going to be the basis we jump off from and go from there. I'd like this to be light yet serious roleplay and that is a bit of what I'm going for. If you want to make any changes, go for it because I will be making everyone moderators for here.

I will be posting the stat system in a few minutes. You can take a look at it but I'll go over it in-depth later on. I first to want to make sure we have a solid story to start from.

Last edited by a moderator:
So my first question is: Where exactly do humans live now? How do they eat? What about... waste? Hygiene? Sickness? Food and emergency construction (?) was touched on briefly, but how exactly do they do that? Or can they just log off for a minute, grab a bite, take a pee, and then go back online?

So there's a bit of Matrix style bending of the rules of the system.

How far does that go?

Oh and.

source.gif

So my first question is: Where exactly do humans live now? How do they eat? What about... waste? Hygiene? Sickness? Food and emergency construction (?) was touched on briefly, but how exactly do they do that? Or can they just log off for a minute, grab a bite, take a pee, and then go back online?

Humans still live on Earth. They stay in their home daily to keep from being outside. Food distribution is delivery of indoor grown food to households. It's one of the few IRL jobs still active. Emergency construction is another IRL job still active in case the system or an important building needs repair. Hygiene is good. Showers toilets, etc still work.

Food distribution and emergency construction is done carefully. This won't be explored in the RP but if you want detail, they use special suits to keep safe from the sun's rays and gunk from the now dusty atmosphere. Distribution workers drive or walk to their delivery destinations.

And exactly, people can log off to take care of their business. Simply the majority of life has moved online.

@IG42

Uh. Lol. Babies won't be explored in the RP, but if you want to know, that still happens. They cannot log online until after a certain age. so in a reverse of real life, mothers/fathers cannot log into the game to make money while they have a baby IRL to take care of. It's a bit odd to think about. Also remember, if it's not going to be discussed or touched on in the RP, I'm not even worried about that part of lore.

The code bending ties in with the dice and the stat system. That'll come later.

So can people use the service anonymously, or is it bound to your real, actual name and personality? Do people have something comparable to the internet online? Or can they just pull up a screen wherever, whenever, when online? Is the system government issued? If so, are all countries in the world united under one banner? (I would assume the primary supplier of the system?) What about countries with no, or poor internet access? Are, say, poor African countries basically extinct?

So can people use the service anonymously, or is it bound to your real, actual name and personality? Do people have something comparable to the internet online? Or can they just pull up a screen wherever, whenever, when online? Is the system government issued? If so, are all countries in the world united under one banner? (I would assume the primary supplier of the system?) What about countries with no, or poor internet access? Are, say, poor African countries basically extinct?

Good questions. The link is neural so it would have your actual name and personality. Yup. There would be the Internet in the Virtual reality =P. The goal of the project was to simulate IRL for people, so it mirrors real world things in perfect condition. There are no menus except for Code Breakers. The system is government issued. The world is not united under one banner, but they are working together for now. If one messes with the system, then everyone suffers, so it's beneficial for everyone involved to play nice.

Everywhere has internet (wired in the dirtiest places), BUT money still plays a role in this. You can have internet and long onto the world, but if you have no "credits" to buy food to eat in real life, you are stuck. So people in poor countries are still at a disadvantage. You can't run from poverty, even online =(. Which is a GOOD segue into the roots of online "terrorism" and murder.  :smile1:

Good questions. The link is neural so it would have your actual name and personality. Yup. There would be the Internet in the Virtual reality =P. The goal of the project was to simulate IRL for people, so it mirrors real world things in perfect condition. There are no menus except for Code Breakers. The system is government issued. The world is not united under one banner, but they are working together for now. If one messes with the system, then everyone suffers, so it's beneficial for everyone involved to play nice.

Everywhere has internet (wired in the dirtiest places), BUT money still plays a role in this. You can have internet and long onto the world, but if you have no "credits" to buy food to eat in real life, you are stuck. So people in poor countries are still at a disadvantage. You can't run from poverty, even online =(. Which is a GOOD segue into the roots of online "terrorism" and murder.  :smile1:

So basically people can work there normally though would most goods be programmed to simply appear or would people go through the motions of "crafting" them?

So basically people can work there normally though would most goods be programmed to simply appear or would people go through the motions of "crafting" them?

Go through the motions my friend. You can't be paid for work you don't do.

Go through the motions my friend. You can't be paid for work you don't do.

Hmm...virtual farming seems a little pointless, if you want the real world involved as little as possible I suppose working through remote controlled robots would be very much out.

Hmm...virtual farming seems a little pointless, if you want the real world involved as little as possible I suppose working through remote controlled robots would be very much out.

??? There's no farming online. Real food is grown IRL.

Also, I have put up the basics of stats for this and a sample of classes I'd like to have. You can browse, give suggestions, and add any yourself.

I have some questions, mostly about the government (?) and the economy.

Some form of government probably exists, since you mentioned that murder is outlawed. But in that case, do they moderate the Virtual World? Wouldn't that deter player killers and nullify the purpose of the Code Breakers? 

Also, I had some questions about jobs that were answered, but that leads to my main question of why. In real life, people actually need to work to produce products, but if it's VR, why would people need to go through the motions? Wouldn't that just be wasted/pointless (as IG42 said) effort? Why didn't the programmers just program items to appear? There isn't an actual need for virtual work after all, and if people only need to work because the programmers/government said so, I can't imagine they'd be happy about it even if it does keep up a semblance of normal life.

Which also leads to my next question about how in-game money is related to actual food. If virtual jobs aren't strictly necessary, then why do people get paid for it and why are these credits given for pointless work translated into real benefits that require real work (food)? I can't imagine that jobs will remain the same in such an environment; menial labor would be completely meaningless. I see a prominent trend towards areas of innovation, entertainment, and education (more mentally focused and creative jobs, essentially) for the job market.

Good! You are getting at what I have. Murder is outlawed in the cities. Only the cities are moderated. Everything outside is not. Cities are the only surely protected safe zones. This will be what's explored in the RP. Security work is very lucrative. This is why Code Breakers do what they do. Whether by want or necessity. Codebreakers are the only people that have advantages (namely the classes code manipulation, and ability to level up themselves) to take on murderers. There are two ways to level yourself. Murder people, or be a Codebreaker. Being a Codebreaker is not something you can choose, and murdering is outlawed in civil society, so average people are stuck hiring Codebreakers or taking a chance while travelling.

Basically the only people that can properly handle murderers are their good counterparts, CodeBreakers.

As for people working, here is the thing. The environment outside is not going to stay horrid forever. Eventually things will clear up and people will go back to working in real life. If they are given everything online and don't do a lick of anything to get it, what do you think will happen once they get to the outside? Especially important for people who've grown up in the Virtual World. That is exact the reason why things aren't just being given to them. Because then they get complacent. If you are a baker online and just press a button to make a cake...you're not really learning how to make that cake. Or preparing yourself to make it in real life when you don't have the luxury of poofing things.

^The money and food connects to my point above. What people are living is a placeholder life. In game money earned is used to buy food IRL that gets delivered to your home. You don't work, you don't eat. The people growing the food IRL are getting paid too. Menial would still be the same. Things still get grimy and have to be cleaned =P.

Did I answer everything. Let me know if I didnt.

So what exactly is a "safe zone" here?

Is it like in SAO where attacking each other is actually impossible or are there just police to handle it?

Ooohhh... that makes things clearer now. So the government intentionally made virtual life harder so the people wouldn't lose the knowledge to do real things in real life. I think some people would still be unhappy about this (probably young kids and teens lol), but the system makes sense.

About the murderers though... since their real identities are attached to them when they log on, can't the government just block them from connecting to the network and track them down IRL? If not, are murderers also hackers then? I get the whole "trying to imitate real life" thing, but if people are at risk of mental trauma by these murderers, I don't think it makes sense for the government to go the long way around to curb virtual crime. You also mentioned that crime is tied to poverty, but you didn't really expand much on that. Are the PKers just making a statement or do they benefit materialistically from what they do? I can see actual food resources being low in impoverished areas IRL, but I can't really see a connection between poverty IRL and poverty online. Are unequal resource distributions and limited technological advancements in areas of poverty also imitated in the virtual world? Isn't that rather unfair?

Also, if being a Code Breaker means you can naturally tamper with code why doesn't the government ban them from the system completely? It sounds like their powers would be difficult to control, and if any of them went rogue, things could become disastrous, so why take the chance?

@IG42

You still can. There's just security/police to handle it.

@BlueInPassing

There you gooooo. Now you're getting it, Blue.  :smile4: . And this is where we stop. I can't answer of of your questions because they relate directly to the plot.

All that we're discussing here is good to know, but once we get close to finishing /starting I'll be wiping all of this out. I don't want players to be info-dumped. If they want to find this information out, they can explore it IC. And this is how you handle in-depth lore for a simple RP. You have all the notes, backstory, and planning yourself, but don't speak about or bring it up unless.

If you want these answers you'll have to make a character and interact with the world.

@White Masquerade, I'd love to point you towards the Epic Trilogy, because I think it fits the world you're trying to go for, or is an example of a similar world done well. 

This seems considerably more slice-of-life than I thought it'd be.

Who exactly sends food though? It seems sort of a weird balance to have like 99% of people needing to be fed, so I mean at leas like 40% of the world would need to work those job, right?

@Kalin Scarlet

Wonderful! I read a synopsis and it is pretty much this for the most part. I doubt I'd have a good chance to read it all so could you advise me on things in the book's place? I wanted to comment on you losing everything idea from the PM. I like it.

@Sunbather

Understandable. This is why I'm not a fan of explaining behind the scenes, but I have to se we can move forward. Towards the end, this RP will be set-up to focus on what I pointed out in the interest check. The Classes, Teamwork, and skills. It won't seem slice-of-life then. But for now, it's good to get this out of the way.

No, you still have to buy food. SO 99% of the world is not being fed. Those in poorer countries unfortunately will die off if they can't manage in-game. If you want to detail this out, I would encourage you to do so, but I don't see it being gone over in depth for the RP. Remember this RP is just a test. Only 1 level. If people like it, then more can be filled in and done.

Also, what was tht lounge thing you talked about in PM? That people go there when they die?

@Kalin Scarlet

Wonderful! I read a synopsis and it is pretty much this for the most part. I doubt I'd have a good chance to read it all so could you advise me on things in the book's place? I wanted to comment on you losing everything idea from the PM. I like it.

@Sunbather

Understandable. This is why I'm not a fan of explaining behind the scenes, but I have to se we can move forward. Towards the end, this RP will be set-up to focus on what I pointed out in the interest check. The Classes, Teamwork, and skills. It won't seem slice-of-life then. But for now, it's good to get this out of the way.

No, you still have to buy food. SO 99% of the world is not being fed. Those in poorer countries unfortunately will die off if they can't manage in-game. If you want to detail this out, I would encourage you to do so, but I don't see it being gone over in depth for the RP. Remember this RP is just a test. Only 1 level. If people like it, then more can be filled in and done.

Also, what was tht lounge thing you talked about in PM? That people go there when they die?

Aye, Ma'am ^.^ If you have any specific questions, I'd be happy to let you know what I know. 

Now I'm dying to find out D':   

I also reeaally want to see how you'll handle the mystery component of this plot. It seems like there are some further ideas being developed behind-the-scenes, so I'll just have to sit and wait ;;

Users who are viewing this thread

Back