Experiences Parlaying RP into Co-Authored Novel?

MG Maggio

Roleplay Availability
Roleplay Type(s)
Hey y'all!

I'm curious to see if anyone is augmenting their RP with their writing partner into a novel format. If so, what has the process looked like for you? If not, why not?

Especially hopeful to get the links dropped for books from people who have published in this way!

Yep, absolutely. I've been adapting an RP into a full-on novel-length fanfiction for over a year now. It's pretty easy to adapt the whole thing, since all I have to do is copy and paste our respective posts, cutting out some details that are redundant, and just making sure everything flows well. It's quite tedious, but at the end of it all it's pretty fun. The whole adaptation is roughly 100,000 words at this point, and it's only about halfway done.

You can check it out here: https://www.fanfiction.net/s/13560833/1/Luck-of-the-Draw

I am in the process of doing so with a partner of mine. I don't think it will ever be released since it's a fandom, but the process for us has been fairly straightforward. Its divided into PoV chapters with one player being the main and one player being the side (we've a fairly large cast of characters to account for this as well as multiple subplots). The first run through of a scene is the draft. Then its picked over with a fine tooth comb and edited until it's in novel format.

That said, it can/does take awhile depending upon what you're writing, the size of your cast, researching, training, etc. I think we started in 2018 and we're not even halfway done. While a lot of this can be attributed to hiatuses in between, it's also the relative size and scope; if its big and you have TWO writers, it can take a long time to accomplish things. Hope this helps.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back