• If your recruitment thread involves completely going off site with your partner(s) then it belongs in the Off-Site Ad Area.
  • This area of the site is governed by the official Recruitment rules. Whether you are looking for players or looking for a roleplay, we recommend you read them and familiarize your self with them. Read the Recruitment Rules Here.

Fandom (Mario RP, anyone?) Paper Mario: The Mystic Tapestry

what I know is I'm making a Toad, good ol' Trus T.

he does his best.

results may vary on what is his best at the moment.

O, wandering misfit...yes, you! Do you have what it takes to weave back the threads of destiny?

This is going to be an interest check in the classical sense—I'm not ready to move through with this yet, but I definitely want to gauge interest. If what you're about to read catches your fancy, then just leave a comment, and I'll tag you later down the road!

I've always been fascinated with the Mario RPGs. Leave it to 3rd-party developers to flesh out a series that Nintendo just wanted to make fun games for originally! It wasn't until Mario Sunshine that we got some kind of world-building in the main series. Meanwhile, Super Mario RPG and the original Paper Mario had already been making huge strides in that department.

What's the pitch?

I'm looking to build an rp where the bizarre world of Mario feels lived in, much like in the original Paper Mario trilogy or any of the "Mario & Luigi" games. I figured that a Paper-Mario-style adventure would be the best fit due to its greater reliance on OC party members.

This will likely be a standard 8-chapter overarching plotline set in an original world (a new kingdom, another planet/dimension, etc.), with each chapter holding its own self-contained story filled with locales, supporting characters, and villains!

What kind of people am I looking for?

I'm looking for people who hold a fondness for these games, or just the Mario franchise in general, and who are willing to get creative with me. While people who just want to hop on for the ride are just as welcome, I'm also looking forward to plotting with the other players!

I'm looking for a small group of players (4-8) who can (loosely) commit long-term. I'm no stranger to having taken long breaks (sometimes a whole 2 months without a post) for other reasons, so I completely understand if something else needs your attention for a while. Oh, and please don't ghost without saying anything lol. If you want to drop, it's only a few words on the keyboard followed by "reply". It's not going to hurt my feelings, I promise.

How will I be managing the rp?

I'll probably be taking control of Mario (as he's ironically the least-interesting character), as well as any canon characters that the players show no interest in writing (I'm extremely partial to Bowser, he's hilarious). I'll likely also be GMing most of the story unless a brave soul or two wants to try their hand in helping me out.

Furthermore, I'll be sure to work closely with each player to ensure our final result is an adventuring party full of different kinds of creatures with unique skillsets!

Also, nothing that would go past the PEGI 12 / E10+ rating on a video game, just to be true to the spirit of it all. There have been dark thematic elements in these games before, but I unfortunately can't give Mario a gun. Sorry boys.

Questions for You:

Will Mario talk in this?

He's your everyday silent video-game protagonist most of the time, which would stay true to the source material, but there's also greater opportunity for him to be his own character if he's not only restricted to exaggerated facial expressions and gestures. Alternatively, this odd question could get skipped if someone like Luigi (or even Wario) was the protagonist, since he's talked plenty before.

Should there be a battle system?

I'm totally up for designing an RPG-style battle system with stats, levels, special moves designed for each character, equipable badges, etc., although it would be a first for me. I think there are pros and cons to having one, myself. It would make things like boss fights a lot more nerve-wracking and rewarding, but it could also slow down the story if things get too difficult.

I may not be ready to start this journey featuring Mr. Funny Wahoo Man and his band of weirdos just yet, but don't let that stop you from sharing your interest or reaching out to me about any ideas. I'm all ears!

Hey! I'm an avid enjoyer of the Mario-verse lore. Now, I've never played any of the traditionally styled Paper Mario games, but I've played Super Paper Mario through hell and back maybe twenty times? I love the style, and I do know of the other games, though I've never deeply interacted with them. If that's okay, I would also be interested!

Now, I've never played any of the traditionally styled Paper Mario games, but I've played Super Paper Mario through hell and back maybe twenty times? I love the style, and I do know of the other games, though I've never deeply interacted with them. If that's okay, I would also be interested!

No prior knowledge needed! And you've played Super, huh? How super! This rp is going to be styled most like the first three Paper Mario games (which of course includes Super Paper Mario) with elements of other Mario titles as extra spice.

Glad to have you aboard! I'll be reaching out to everyone here at some point, so please look forward to that!

Could I Isekai characters from another fandom? Or original world?

Unfortunately, no. OCs are actively encouraged, but they're accepted on a case-by-case basis for how well they would fit in the Mario universe.

You said you were still looking for characters, right, Count Gensokyo Count Gensokyo ? The Mario RPG/Paper Mario series has been one of my most beloved games as a kid, and I was hoping to get in on this, albeit belatedly. I'd be perfectly okay with just taking a minor role if that's all that's available, too. With projects like these, it'd be a delight just to be involved. Fingers crossed ^^

You said you were still looking for characters, right, Count Gensokyo Count Gensokyo ? The Mario RPG/Paper Mario series has been one of my most beloved games as a kid, and I was hoping to get in on this, albeit belatedly. I'd be perfectly okay with just taking a minor role if that's all that's available, too. With projects like these, it'd be a delight just to be involved. Fingers crossed ^^

Not going to lie, I got excited when I saw your name pop up in the list of replies. Welcome aboard!

Holy Fudge Muffins. I don't know how this slipped passed my watch. I love the Paper Mario Games, Specifically the first 2. If you are still looking for players, I would absolutely love to join. :)

Holy Fudge Muffins. I don't know how this slipped passed my watch. I love the Paper Mario Games, Specifically the first 2. If you are still looking for players, I would absolutely love to join. :)

Congratulations! You're our lucky 8th member!

If you're a fan of the original and Thousand Year Door, then you'll love being a part of this one! Mystic Tapestry is meant to be an all-new adventure, but with plenty of callbacks to what made the series great. You'll fit right in!

And I've gotta say: you have a lot of successful GMing credits under your name if your signature is anything to go by. Colour me impressed!

Oh, right, I forgot to mention that you can see our group chat in your Conversations now. Trektek Trektek

Congratulations! You're our lucky 8th member!

If you're a fan of the original and Thousand Year Door, then you'll love being a part of this one! Mystic Tapestry is meant to be an all-new adventure, but with plenty of callbacks to what made the series great. You'll fit right in!

And I've gotta say: you have a lot of successful GMing credits under your name if your signature is anything to go by. Colour me impressed!
Thank ye kindly. Eight is actually my favorite number. :-D

Also, my GM experience on RPN comes from running nation builders that are a mix of RP and mechanics

Users who are viewing this thread

Back