• If your recruitment thread involves completely going off site with your partner(s) then it belongs in the Off-Site Ad Area.
  • This area of the site is governed by the official Recruitment rules. Whether you are looking for players or looking for a roleplay, we recommend you read them and familiarize your self with them. Read the Recruitment Rules Here.

Fandom (Mario RP, anyone?) Paper Mario: The Mystic Tapestry

Count Gensokyo

Super Smash Bros. Melee is a Fair & Balanced Game
Roleplay Availability
Roleplay Type(s)
O, wandering misfit...yes, you! Do you have what it takes to weave back the threads of destiny?

This is going to be an interest check in the classical sense—I'm not ready to move through with this yet, but I definitely want to gauge interest. If what you're about to read catches your fancy, then just leave a comment, and I'll tag you later down the road!

I've always been fascinated with the Mario RPGs. Leave it to 3rd-party developers to flesh out a series that Nintendo just wanted to make fun games for originally! It wasn't until Mario Sunshine that we got some kind of world-building in the main series. Meanwhile, Super Mario RPG and the original Paper Mario had already been making huge strides in that department.

What's the pitch?

I'm looking to build an rp where the bizarre world of Mario feels lived in, much like in the original Paper Mario trilogy or any of the "Mario & Luigi" games. I figured that a Paper-Mario-style adventure would be the best fit due to its greater reliance on OC party members.

This will likely be a standard 8-chapter overarching plotline set in an original world (a new kingdom, another planet/dimension, etc.), with each chapter holding its own self-contained story filled with locales, supporting characters, and villains!

What kind of people am I looking for?

I'm looking for people who hold a fondness for these games, or just the Mario franchise in general, and who are willing to get creative with me. While people who just want to hop on for the ride are just as welcome, I'm also looking forward to plotting with the other players!

I'm looking for a small group of players (4-8) who can (loosely) commit long-term. I'm no stranger to having taken long breaks (sometimes a whole 2 months without a post) for other reasons, so I completely understand if something else needs your attention for a while. Oh, and please don't ghost without saying anything lol. If you want to drop, it's only a few words on the keyboard followed by "reply". It's not going to hurt my feelings, I promise.

How will I be managing the rp?

I'll probably be taking control of Mario (as he's ironically the least-interesting character), as well as any canon characters that the players show no interest in writing (I'm extremely partial to Bowser, he's hilarious). I'll likely also be GMing most of the story unless a brave soul or two wants to try their hand in helping me out.

Furthermore, I'll be sure to work closely with each player to ensure our final result is an adventuring party full of different kinds of creatures with unique skillsets!

Also, nothing that would go past the PEGI 12 / E10+ rating on a video game, just to be true to the spirit of it all. There have been dark thematic elements in these games before, but I unfortunately can't give Mario a gun. Sorry boys.

Questions for You:

Will Mario talk in this?

He's your everyday silent video-game protagonist most of the time, which would stay true to the source material, but there's also greater opportunity for him to be his own character if he's not only restricted to exaggerated facial expressions and gestures. Alternatively, this odd question could get skipped if someone like Luigi (or even Wario) was the protagonist, since he's talked plenty before.

Should there be a battle system?

I'm totally up for designing an RPG-style battle system with stats, levels, special moves designed for each character, equipable badges, etc., although it would be a first for me. I think there are pros and cons to having one, myself. It would make things like boss fights a lot more nerve-wracking and rewarding, but it could also slow down the story if things get too difficult.

I may not be ready to start this journey featuring Mr. Funny Wahoo Man and his band of weirdos just yet, but don't let that stop you from sharing your interest or reaching out to me about any ideas. I'm all ears!

Last edited:
I like the sound of this roleplay! Since this RP is going to be a long term one, I'm going to do my best to commit myself to it as much as I can, but of course I can't make any promises in the long run! But still, this RP has my interest, and I would love to be a part of this!

I like the sound of this roleplay! Since this RP is going to be a long term one, I'm going to do my best to commit myself to it as much as I can, but of course I can't make any promises in the long run! But still, this RP has my interest, and I would love to be a part of this!

"ConGRRAAAAtulations!"

Lucky.png

"You're our first lucky winner today, and for that, you get this rock conveniently shaped like a heart!"

"See, look? It's right above this post!"

Thanks for showing some interest! I thought this might never pick up. Did you have any thoughts on the last two questions, especially the one about whether a battle system should be implemented?

Also, I noticed your interest check for an Atari "what-if" a while back. Realistic isn't usually my go-to for an rp, but that's the first interest check for one that actually caught my eye!
AlexneushoornTheGreat AlexneushoornTheGreat

Last edited:
"ConGRRAAAAtulations!"

View attachment 935933

"You're our first lucky winner today, and for that, you get this rock conveniently shaped like a heart!"

"See, look? It's right above this post!"

Thanks for showing some interest! I thought this might never pick up. Did you have any thoughts on the last two questions, especially the one about whether a battle system should be implemented?

Also, I noticed your interest check for an Atari "what-if" a while back. Realistic isn't usually my go-to for an rp, but that's the first interest check for one that actually caught my eye!
AlexneushoornTheGreat AlexneushoornTheGreat
No, I didn't really have any thoughts on those two questions. But I'm glad you're glad that I showed interest in your RP. Also, thanks for checking out my interest check for my Atari Empire RP, I appreciate it. :D

You brought me down nostalgia lane, where I don't even need to put on rose tinted glasses and the world is just that rosey.

An adventure, a true pure adventure, yes, this is what I desire...

Also the fact i'd be making somebody play Mario yrying to interpretively dance his way to standard communication is hilarious.

I also remember playing a ttrpg styled mario game recently... could try and dig up that system for referrences to battles and what not.

Anyways it'd probably be a simple thing drawig one up.

Also the fact i'd be making somebody play Mario trying to interpretively dance his way to standard communication is hilarious.

If you guys vote on it, then this'll be my first opportunity to write an entire character using nothing but narrative charades! 🤣

I also remember playing a ttrpg styled mario game recently... could try and dig up that system for referrences to battles and what not.

Anyways it'd probably be a simple thing drawing one up.

I'd imagine drawing one up would be simple, but keeping it balanced is another.

...Then again, people have found plenty of game-breaking badge combos in the original games, so would that really be an issue if one of you guys discovered an exploit? "Using your resources" and all that, lol.

If it's not a bother, I'd love to get a look at the rules to that ttrpg in DMs or some other way!

"Mario attempted to pantomime the whole story of his last adventure, though you understand the first part, the second gets lost somewhere in translation and you find yourself only able to truely piece together the fact he was somehow INSIDE bowser at some point?"

And I found it, just a wiki page that deacribes it, but real simple.

oh, i love this idea. i’m definitely interested! like someone above mentioned, i think it would be interesting to see you write mario without using dialogue, aha. silent protags are kind of endearing. as far as writing up a battle system, i think it would be best to keep it as simple as possible. i wish i had more experience with that kind of thing so i could give better suggestions. :’>

oh, i love this idea. i’m definitely interested! like someone above mentioned, i think it would be interesting to see you write mario without using dialogue, aha. silent protags are kind of endearing. as far as writing up a battle system, i think it would be best to keep it as simple as possible. i wish i had more experience with that kind of thing so i could give better suggestions. :’>

Thanks for the interest!! You just made my day here, seriously! And indeed, if there's a battle system, it'll be one that's pretty easy to pick up on. I've already got a handle on the one that Orikanyo Orikanyo sent, and it might be one worth implementing!

At this state, even if I got no more replies here, I'd be more than happy with just this small group of people who've shown some interest in this little idea. Heck, I might start reaching out to some of you for idea workshopping once I get some more time!

Would you guys want me to PM you individually, or do you care if I start a group DM with everyone involved at some point? pinetr33 pinetr33 Orikanyo Orikanyo Vagabond Spectre Vagabond Spectre AlexneushoornTheGreat AlexneushoornTheGreat

I'm already at that state where I'm brainstorming potential locales and the general story outline...but, I feel like revolving this new world around the stories you guys want to tell for your characters is a better idea in the long run!

aww, i’m happy to hear that! honestly, it also brightened my day just seeing a group of people here showing interest in paper mario. the franchise is so close to my heart, but i’ve never had the opportunity to write anything within the setting. i think it would be a lot of fun!

you are welcome to pm me or add me to a group chat. i’m looking forward to seeing where this goes!

Thanks for the interest!! You just made my day here, seriously! And indeed, if there's a battle system, it'll be one that's pretty easy to pick up on. I've already got a handle on the one that Orikanyo Orikanyo sent, and it might be one worth implementing!

At this state, even if I got no more replies here, I'd be more than happy with just this small group of people who've shown some interest in this little idea. Heck, I might start reaching out to some of you for idea workshopping once I get some more time!

Would you guys want me to PM you individually, or do you care if I start a group DM with everyone involved at some point? pinetr33 pinetr33 Orikanyo Orikanyo Vagabond Spectre Vagabond Spectre AlexneushoornTheGreat AlexneushoornTheGreat

I'm already at that state where I'm brainstorming potential locales and the general story outline...but, I feel like revolving this new world around the stories you guys want to tell for your characters is a better idea in the long run!
I'm cool with a DM unless everyone wants a group DM.

Yeah, I'm cool with a DM too unless everyone else wants a group DM.

group DM/OOC is best as we could very well coordinate as a group and come out with better concepts.

ALso, why would we do a group rp if not to be friends and a group?

group DM/OOC is best as we could very well coordinate as a group and come out with better concepts.

ALso, why would we do a group rp if not to be friends and a group?

Well, group chatting will end up being a must, regardless! I'm guessing (and correct me if I'm assuming incorrectly) that the others might want a smaller, more focused time with character creation first, and once everyone has at least a rough idea of the type of character(s) they'd want to write, we'll reconvene for bigger and better things, combined with how the ideas we all generated on our own come together to form a more cohesive whole. Does that sound about right? AlexneushoornTheGreat AlexneushoornTheGreat Vagabond Spectre Vagabond Spectre

That said, I totally see the value in chatting together from the get-go as well! It seems like the majority might prefer the former (I know pinetr33 pinetr33 is fine with either option, though), but I'll see if Orikanyo Orikanyo can win the rest of you over by explaining why, for him, starting together from even the character-creation stage might be the better idea. He's been in a few campaigns like this before, so I'm curious to hear from his perspective.

yes, i can see the benefit to either option, so my choice will default to whatever the majority chooses. but i wanted to chime in again anyway because i am hype and really looking forward to seeing what you all come up with! :>

I'm not entirely following what you're talking about, to be honest. Because of my autism, I have a hard time understanding certain things, so please excuse me being lost in your words.

I'm not entirely following what you're talking about, to be honest. Because of my autism, I have a hard time understanding certain things, so please excuse me being lost in your words.

That's not the first time I've been asked to chop up a word salad haha.

What I'm asking is:
Is the appeal of 1-on-1 DMs to make the process of creating a character more focused before moving on to talking with everyone else?

*Shrug* doesn't matter as much, just do whatever you feel you want to do, I'll just be here tending to my metaphorical crops.

However we get there, we get there.

I just wanted to let anyone new reading this that I'm still looking for new players! If you're interested, don't be shy!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back