• If your recruitment thread involves completely going off site with your partner(s) then it belongs in the Off-Site Ad Area.
  • This area of the site is governed by the official Recruitment rules. Whether you are looking for players or looking for a roleplay, we recommend you read them and familiarize your self with them. Read the Recruitment Rules Here.

Futuristic Oceania [Lacking; Need more ideas. help]

Obsessed

Braiiness
Oceania is a kingdom in the depths of the Pacific Ocean. Mermaids and mermen lived in peace under the rule of King Oceanus. The mermaids and mermen are all very inhumanly beautiful with different kind of pastel-colored hairs, eyes and tails. They are classified into two groups:

1.) Sirens - Mermaids and mermans with astonishing beautiful voices that attracts and can compel any human.

2.) Undines - Mermaids and mermen who have an ability to manipulate water (i.e boil water, control water, turn it into ice, etc.)

As the years passed by, the humans' technology progressed until they finally made a device where they will be able to explore the 65% unexplored ocean, to which 25% belongs to Oceania. The humans discovered Oceania and started to infiltrate it. Killing and bringing mermaids and mermans and other exotic sea creatures into the surface to experiment on. Oceania slowly crumbled. Their magnificent, huge corals being destroyed one by one, the water slowly being poisonous for them to live, the population tremendously dropped, a lot of sea creatures are going extinct.

King Oceanus tried negotiating with the humans but failed miserably. He vowed not to try their abilities to stop the humans but he had no choice.He called all the mermaids and mermen he can get and offered them to help him restore what was once a beautiful kingdom.

So here are my problems:

1) I want the characters to be in the ocean as mermaids but it would be hard to stop the humans if the characters fight from the sea

2) Then some of the characters would be in the land, and some would be on the ocean but how would they interact?

3) Romance man. Forbidden romance.

Please tell me what you think and some ideas please!

Well, firstly, I quite like the idea. But I see your predicament. How advanced would human technology be as far as warfare goes? Although I do agree sea dwellers could have some difficulty fighting within the ocean, I think it'd be equally as hard for the humans- it's one thing to navigate anything whilst enduring that amount of water pressure, it's another to actually have easy maneuverability and be an offensive force. I'm no naval aficionado though, so I'm not sure.

Interaction: Deep sea diving, under water hotels, sailors, perhaps? And naturally some sea dwellers would be curious and could, perhaps, be capable of short durations of time above water, kind of like the little mermaid. But, again, I'm no expert, this is just a thought.

I've no ideas for romance. No sarcasm intended, you may want a sea witch for that, or Oceanus could temporarily bestow humanoid qualities upon his people, perhaps with the intentions of spying on the humans, etc. But some of them betray him, or just stay up top cause they like it better.

Did any of that help? Lol.

Edit: Duh. Just saw the 'futuristic' title. Sorry, it's almost 4AM okay? ;P

Last edited by a moderator:
Raerae said:
Well, firstly, I quite like the idea. But I see your predicament. How advanced would human technology be as far as warfare goes? Although I do agree sea dwellers could have some difficulty fighting within the ocean, I think it'd be equally as hard for the humans- it's one thing to navigate anything whilst enduring that amount of water pressure, it's another to actually have easy maneuverability and be an offensive force. I'm no naval aficionado though, so I'm not sure.
Interaction: Deep sea diving, under water hotels, sailors, perhaps? And naturally some sea dwellers would be curious and could, perhaps, be capable of short durations of time above water, kind of like the little mermaid. But, again, I'm no expert, this is just a thought.

I've no ideas for romance. No sarcasm intended, you may want a sea witch for that, or Oceanus could temporarily bestow humanoid qualities upon his people, perhaps with the intentions of spying on the humans, etc. But some of them betray him, or just stay up top cause they like it better.

Did any of that help? Lol.

Edit: Duh. Just saw the 'futuristic' title. Sorry, it's almost 4AM okay? ;P

Thanks! And lol it's fine, xD

And there are actually no hotels or whatsoever in their kingdom but huge corals designed in a very artistic way with seaweeds and other ocean stuff.

Obsessed said:
Thanks! And lol it's fine, xD
And there are actually no hotels or whatsoever in their kingdom but huge corals designed in a very artistic way with seaweeds and other ocean stuff.
I meant under water hotels the humans constructed further below in the future (I mean, we have those already, but they'd be set deeper with more room to roam) but I think the coral idea is lovely. :)

I do wish you the best of luck, though. I may have just reiterated what you'd said, but I meant well! If I cam help at all, do let me know. Despite my distaste for immersion in water, I love the concept of mermaids and what not.

I hope this solves at least one of the problems (Hopefully no.3)

But what about Greenpeace, or a futuristic version of them? I know it's humans against fish-humans, but surely some human people wouldn't like their race killing off another entire species, let alone anything with human-level sentience and intelligence. There are heaps of normal people who would probably die trying to protect the merpeople in the water, and that wouldn't be including scientists who would and could do more to help them.

Merpeople probably have the upperhand in/on the water, even if their being killed in it. They could have a small group up on land, larger population of fighters in home base. Marine scientists could probably think of a way to get them on land to fight, or do the fighting for them on their behalf.

And of course, when you have two people groups interacting, someone is bound to fall in love or bone someone else.

I hope this helps. I'm a little interested in the rp.

[QUOTE="Detective Rascal]I hope this solves at least one of the problems (Hopefully no.3)
But what about Greenpeace, or a futuristic version of them? I know it's humans against fish-humans, but surely some human people wouldn't like their race killing off another entire species, let alone anything with human-level sentience and intelligence. There are heaps of normal people who would probably die trying to protect the merpeople in the water, and that wouldn't be including scientists who would and could do more to help them.

Merpeople probably have the upperhand in/on the water, even if their being killed in it. They could have a small group up on land, larger population of fighters in home base. Marine scientists could probably think of a way to get them on land to fight, or do the fighting for them on their behalf.

And of course, when you have two people groups interacting, someone is bound to fall in love or bone someone else.

I hope this helps. I'm a little interested in the rp.

[/QUOTE]
Yes! Oh god, that's just perfect! HAHAHAHA

I am totally in for this!

I have a few questions/ideas, however.

1. Are there sea monsters!?!? That would be fucking awesome. The merfolk awakening ancient monsters from the deepest darkest places to help them in their fight. Perhaps Sirens would be capable of persuading the monsters to help them? Additionally, what sort of technology would the merfolk have?

I just wanna release the kraken ;-;

kraken.png

2. For the forbidden romance, perhaps some of us would be playing as humans? Either as the people protecting mermaids, or those trying to kill them. So likely, much of the RP would be set up on coastlines, islands, or naval vessels.

3. Helping the mermaids get ashore. Perhaps they could magically have the ability to assume a more "Human" form?

Or maybe, the story occurs in the future, or after some sort of disaster that drowns much of the world? Meaning humans live on floating cities or islands? Making it easier for mermaids to access them?

1. Are there sea monsters!?!? That would be fucking awesome. The merfolk awakening ancient monsters from the deepest darkest places to help them in their fight. Perhaps Sirens would be capable of persuading the monsters to help them? Additionally, what sort of technology would the merfolk have?
That's actually brillant! And no, there are no technology in their kingdom, they are like the sea version of 1900s.

2. For the forbidden romance, perhaps some of us would be playing as humans? Either as the people protecting mermaids, or those trying to kill them. So likely, much of the RP would be set up on coastlines, islands, or naval vessels.
Yes! But the problem is that if there are people interested enough to do this.

3. Helping the mermaids get ashore. Perhaps they could magically have the ability to assume a more "Human" form?
Or maybe, the story occurs in the future, or after some sort of disaster that drowns much of the world? Meaning humans live on floating cities or islands? Making it easier for mermaids to access them?
I already thought about the magical thing to make them into a human form.

The mermaids can actually get to the surface easily but there's a law where they are not allowed to go to the surface unlike Ariel plus, King Oceanus put some guards on the borders. But now, obviously, that's broken and they can finally swim up.

Obsessed said:
That's actually brillant! And no, there are no technology in their kingdom, they are like the sea version of 1900s.
Petronov said:
Beyond The Sea - Bobby Darin (Bioshock OST)
[media]

[/media]
People always forget about Bioshock.
what

I'm really interested!

I had a few ideas but as I read over all the other comments I realized that they had all been said!

I do have a little idea, but a small one though.

If allowed, the King could call upon Selkies for help, he could use them as spies or an attacking force on land. Perhaps in this RP they (the Selkies) could be considered 'traitors' or 'law breakers' for their ability to remove their tail (which are seal tails) as if it were clothing and walk with the Humans, and slip their tails back on whenever they please and swim with the sea life, which is why the King could have been so hesitant to allow the Selkies back into the Kingdom. There could be a lot of discrimination between the Merfolk and Selkies, as Merfolk were raised to dislike the Selkies.

Instead of just Human x Merfolk forbidden love, their could be Merfolk x Selkie forbidden love, as even though the King allowed the Selkies into the Kingdom in return for their assistant on land, he could have placed strict rules between the contact of the Merfolk and Selkie.

@Obsessed

Edit:

Also, I'm pretty sure I tweaked Selkies a bit, as I think that they are actually seals that can slip out of their skin as a human (they wear their seal skin as clothing) but I find it more fitting to the whole merfolk setting to have them look human from the waists up, with a few exceptions (like eyebrow whiskers and spots). I was mostly inspired by StressedJenny's art of Selkies, which is what I now imagine when I'm talking about them.

Petronov said:
Your idea reminded me of Bioshock. I figured you could get some ideas from it.
Ah okay xD

RowdyPotato said:
I'm really interested!
I had a few ideas but as I read over all the other comments I realized that they had all been said!

I do have a little idea, but a small one though.

If allowed, the King could call upon Selkies for help, he could use them as spies or an attacking force on land. Perhaps in this RP they (the Selkies) could be considered 'traitors' or 'law breakers' for their ability to remove their tail (which are seal tails) as if it were clothing and walk with the Humans, and slip their tails back on whenever they please and swim with the sea life, which is why the King could have been so hesitant to allow the Selkies back into the Kingdom. There could be a lot of discrimination between the Merfolk and Selkies, as Merfolk were raised to dislike the Selkies.

Instead of just Human x Merfolk forbidden love, their could be Merfolk x Selkie forbidden love, as even though the King allowed the Selkies into the Kingdom in return for their assistant on land, he could have placed strict rules between the contact of the Merfolk and Selkie.

@Obsessed

Edit:

Also, I'm pretty sure I tweaked Selkies a bit, as I think that they are actually seals that can slip out of their skin as a human (they wear their seal skin as clothing) but I find it more fitting to the whole merfolk setting to have them look human from the waists up, with a few exceptions (like eyebrow whiskers and spots). I was mostly inspired by StressedJenny's art of Selkies, which is what I now imagine when I'm talking about them.
That's very cool! I'm not really familiar with Selkies but they do sound pretty cool

1) If you simply made it so that the humans had more advanced weaponry, it could even the playing field. Mermaids would have the homefield advantage, but humans are safer in their big ships with big weapons

2) You could also utlize the trope where mermaids can walk on land for a certain amount of time (say, only when the tide is high on the full moon or some such stuff)

3) Perhaps, as the war goes on and on, you see humans in land controlled by mermaids, or mermaids in cities controlled by humans, and interaction happens naturally from there, as it normally does when people live in the same place.

[QUOTE="The Succubi Queen]1) If you simply made it so that the humans had more advanced weaponry, it could even the playing field. Mermaids would have the homefield advantage, but humans are safer in their big ships with big weapons
2) You could also utlize the trope where mermaids can walk on land for a certain amount of time (say, only when the tide is high on the full moon or some such stuff)

3) Perhaps, as the war goes on and on, you see humans in land controlled by mermaids, or mermaids in cities controlled by humans, and interaction happens naturally from there, as it normally does when people live in the same place.

[/QUOTE]
Like Avatar

[QUOTE="The Succubi Queen]Didn't think of it that way, but yeah. I like the mix of technology and mysticism in that world.

[/QUOTE]
And the whole mermaids controlled by humans things, like when the people in Avatar were controlling Na'vi to interact with other Na'vi.

RowdyPotato said:
@Obsessed
Can I hope for this to become an actual rp?
I'm not really sure, I'm still having second thoughts, I mean don't get me wrong, the ideas above are very awesome but I don't think we can do it since no one's really interested lol

Users who are viewing this thread

Back