Experiences Pairings: Do's and Don't's

IDK if this is too off-topic, but for me real turn-offs for pairings usually lay more with the person behind it than the pairing. Of course there are things I won't get into RP-wise, plenty of them, but I've seen quite a few... archetype players that I would really not want to RP relationships with. Granted this is both through forums and through MMO-RPs!

- The Love Seekers
People that RP with you and through your character try to get somewhere with you. Usually they make uncomfortable comments or advances, put their fantasies/wishes about you or just about themselves in a relationship into the RP.

- ERP-Hunters
These people always want to make it sexual. Sometimes they don't start off as that, but then after the first few posts are out they'll always try to steer it towards something inappropriate.

- Sexuality Discovery
Usually these are people that can't express their sexuality in real life (which is terrible) and they kinda... express it through RP. Which is fine on its own, but I personally don't really care about the gender of the characters necessarily, more just the characters' preference. And these RPers usually put the sexuality-choice first, not the story. It should be kind of interwoven, not the focus, if that makes sense? ;v;

- Looks Only
RPers that only care about how your character looks, and because they are hot, 'THEY MUST CLAIM THEM!' They usually ignore any personality or character-building and just go for 'hot x hot = YES'.

I hope nobody is offended by these examples. To each their own right? D:

OK after re-reading... I just saw it is prooooooobs too off-topic so.

I think my top pairing I won't do is....

Cheaters x victims/other woman/man
I don't know. There's something so appalling about cheating on a spouse that even though I can do a lot of things in RP, that one crosses it. If it's something OOCly agreed upon, it's better, but I still really don't enjoy it. No matter what the pair-up is, cheaterxcheater, cheaterxother woman/man, cheaterxunsuspecting spouse.

Last edited:
Teacher x Student: I am out of school. School was something I couldn't wait to get over and done with so even thinking about doing a roleplay with anything involving school
qwoeidjoiwjdoiwejdoiwejd

LOL i honestly... honestly would do virtually any pairing EXCEPT cross-species. But then again, i have a love-hate relationship with cross-species pairing cause its so dramatic and taboo, two of my necessities in roleplays. Its just so.. aesthetically and morally wrong according to me. This robotxhuman, furryxhuman, furry dot, alien x human, werewolf x human... you get it. Its just perversion at its highest level imo.

but hey its kinda hypocritical of me to say this cause... i roleplayed all of the above, or more tried and on most occasions... i felt disturbed

qwoeidjoiwjdoiwejdoiwejd

LOL i honestly... honestly would do virtually any pairing EXCEPT cross-species. But then again, i have a love-hate relationship with cross-species pairing cause its so dramatic and taboo, two of my necessities in roleplays. Its just so.. aesthetically and morally wrong according to me. This robotxhuman, furryxhuman, furry dot, alien x human, werewolf x human... you get it. Its just perversion at its highest level imo.

but hey its kinda hypocritical of me to say this cause... i roleplayed all of the above, or more tried and on most occasions... i felt disturbed

My idea of taboo is two people from two different social classes falling in love, particularly in a historical setting where those things were simply not supposed to happen. Nobility married nobility, period.

My idea of taboo is two people from two different social classes falling in love, particularly in a historical setting where those things were simply not supposed to happen. Nobility married nobility, period.
Exactly, the idea of impossible love is very compelling, dramatic and honestly really romantic on most cases. Ok, im kinky admittedly so ill push that taboo to stuff people would consider morally wrong but cross-species makes my skin crawl more than anything. The storyline better be goddamn good or something extremely compelling cause in 99% of the cases ill automatically discard the possibility in my head.

I will do fandoms, but strictly OC x OC. The only time I'll have canon characters present is if they're minor NPC's or they're characters we actually don't know a lot about in the source material. For example, Grindelwald before the Fantastic Beasts movies came out. We really only knew that he was evil and that he was friends with Dumbledore. His actual personality, mannerisms, etc. were left completely wide open. This is also true for many of the Hunger Games side characters. There's enough we don't know that I would be comfortable including them in a RP.
Yep, pretty much what I was saying, with the small difference on our criteria for which cannon characters constitute the exceptions.

That gets annoying. It reminds me of those flamboyant gay guys in real life who have to let everybody know how gay they are. Like, dude, most of the public doesn't care nor do we want to know. Keep it to the bedroom.
Exactly. As I said I really don't mind (in most cases I don't really care) if a character may fall into the LGBT spectrum. It's when the person starts feeling the need to overtly state it that I get weary and start suspecting the kind of things I mentioned. Cause those kinds of people, by my experience, don't just brag about it. They often obsess, yes, but that's in addition to tearing down on other people's fun and good times by inventing problems where none exist, who might go out of their way to try to prevent others from being able to do stuff they don't like or have a mild distaste for even if it has nothing to do with them.

Fair point, but in the world we live in I sadly wouldn't be surprised if there were romantic implications from some people.
Well, yeah, pedophiles do exist, nobody's denying that. Quite the contrary in fact, excuse my crude language, but often people forget that people can enjoy something without wanting to stick their d*ck in it, or you know... I enjoy playing child characters because they're cute, they provide an interesting perspective to work from, they provide new character dynamics and are often a unique presence in the roleplay. So I feel the need to point out or remind people that this aspect also exists, beyond just the weirdoes who want to fetishize or romance children.

Again, totally subjective. I don't find it creepy RPing with minors. I just prefer not to due to the themes I delve into while RPing.
There's nothing subjective to it, at least not in regards to my earlier point that there isn't a logical reason. There simply is none, at least none that's valid. Which, again, is not me dismissing subjective, emotional reasons not to want to, those have their own validity, they just aren't logical, which means the pratice isn't immoral or creepy by itself, but only because third parties may infer stuff from it. That's an important distinction, because one thing is you not wanting to do something, another is that something being wrong or creepy.

Well, yeah, pedophiles do exist, nobody's denying that. Quite the contrary in fact, excuse my crude language, but often people forget that people can enjoy something without wanting to stick their d*ck in it, or you know... I enjoy playing child characters because they're cute, they provide an interesting perspective to work from, they provide new character dynamics and are often a unique presence in the roleplay. So I feel the need to point out or remind people that this aspect also exists, beyond just the weirdoes who want to fetishize or romance children.

Well, that's another criticism I could make of modern society: how everything is sexualized and two people of the opposite sex cannot even be friends without others assuming they're in a sexual relationship.

Well, that's another criticism I could make of modern society: how everything is sexualized and two people of the opposite sex cannot even be friends without others assuming they're in a sexual relationship.

I'd say it goes beyond that, as people of the same gender can also be assumed to be in a sexual relationship too. It might not be as accepted by certain parts of society but it is still an default assumption. Because we as a society do not value platonic relationships in adults. It's fine to have platonic relationships when your a kid and can't reasonable be expected to have sexual/romantic relationships. But for an adult to prefer to focus on their platonic relationships (outside of parental issues) is extremely odd. Or at least that's what pop culture tells us.

And before someone jumps down my throat. I'm not talking about every bit of media ever made. There are exceptions to every rule. I'm just talking in general society/pop culture/media tends to assume adults only want to bone.

I'd say it goes beyond that, as people of the same gender can also be assumed to be in a sexual relationship too. It might not be as accepted by certain parts of society but it is still an default assumption. Because we as a society do not value platonic relationships in adults. It's fine to have platonic relationships when your a kid and can't reasonable be expected to have sexual/romantic relationships. But for an adult to prefer to focus on their platonic relationships (outside of parental issues) is extremely odd. Or at least that's what pop culture tells us.

And before someone jumps down my throat. I'm not talking about every bit of media ever made. There are exceptions to every rule. I'm just talking in general society/pop culture/media tends to assume adults only want to bone.

It does get tiring. As an aro ace I have no interest in boning anybody. Whenever I point that out it's assumed I have a hormone problem or something. *sigh*

It does get tiring. As an aro ace I have no interest in boning anybody. Whenever I point that out it's assumed I have a hormone problem or something. *sigh*

Fellow aro/ace and it does get tiring. Especially when you see folks in the 1x1 basically saying “romance is the only way to make your character interesting.”

And it’s like um no. It’s ONE way to make your character interesting. But you can absolutely make interesting stories that don’t feature anyone trying to bone anyone else.

D d1uni5ys24si3o

Out of curiosity why do you consider werewolves / humans to be cross species? They are human in most mythologies, just humans with a communicable disease/curse.
Cause most people I've met to want to have the character have sex while one of the characters is in werewolf mode .-.

I mean obviously the idea of loving someone from an other specie is okay, once it starts crossing that romantic/sexual line... thats where it gets icky af for me.

D d1uni5ys24si3o so it’s less a human x werewolf pairing and more bestiality that you don’t like.

Like if it was two humans getting it on but one just happened to be a werewolf that wouldn’t bother you?

It’s a human getting it on with an animal that disturbs you?

D d1uni5ys24si3o so it’s less a human x werewolf pairing and more bestiality that you don’t like.

Like if it was two humans getting it on but one just happened to be a werewolf that wouldn’t bother you?

It’s a human getting it on with an animal that disturbs you?
Yes the idea of bestiality is a 100 percent out of the question for me. Even this whole concepts of animalisstic parts attributed to one human character (like a horse dick) is just horrifyingly disturbing for me.

And yes, a human x cursed human is okay with me. A human x cyborg (half human and half machine), thats also okay with me. A demigod x human thats also ok. As long as a big portion of the character is human and not in some weird foreign fucking animalistic body or alien tentaclish form, im usually... ok. Its case by case.

Cause most people I've met to want to have the character have sex while one of the characters is in werewolf mode .-.

I mean obviously the idea of loving someone from an other specie is okay, once it starts crossing that romantic/sexual line... thats where it gets icky af for me.
I've had characters that have had a wolf, werewolf, dragon form HOWEVER they are shifters where they are predominantly in human form unless it is a battle or something else. The whole romance/intimate with a human and another species in full species form is just a no for me. Not knocking anyone that favors it but for me nope.

I've had characters that have had a wolf, werewolf, dragon form HOWEVER they are shifters where they are predominantly in human form unless it is a battle or something else. The whole romance/intimate with a human and another species in full species form is just a no for me. Not knocking anyone that favors it but for me nope.
Ye exactly. Same goes for me... I still think its morally wrong tho lmfakuhewiudhqwduih I put it at the same level as pedophilia so fight me if you disagree 🤷‍♂️

What about vampire/mortal relationships? Would those be considered necrophilia? Lol.

Y yanastyboi

So that is most definately not what grooming means. Not even remotely.

Child grooming is befriending and establishing an emotional connection with a child, and sometimes the family, to lower the child's inhibitions with the objective of sexual abuse.

Roleplaying with the child in the sense that Idea Idea was talking about would be something between mentoring a child or tutoring them. It's basically helping them learn how to write stories. As long as the stories do not cover sexual content and the adult is not attempting to start a sexual relationship with the child than there is no grooming going on.

I understand this is a uncomfortable topic for you but my mother faced actual child grooming as a teenager and I find it very upsetting to see you conflate talking to a child online with trying to groom a child for a sexual relationship. It is not even remotely the same thing. And you acting like it is just diminishes the danger of actual predators trying to take advantage of children.

(edited slightly)

There is a term for it and it's called grooming. Safest bet for ANY adult is to not RP with minors. There is a difference between linking a minor who asks for help to research material, for example they come into this forum and ask "I wanna RP an astronaut and I need help learning about astronauts" and you link them to NASA training articals and other astronaut material for research. Verses taking them by the hand going "I'm an experienced RPer allow me to show you how to RP an astronaut by RPing with you" so you can ""help them improve and mature"" that is very much unnecessary.

RPing isn't exactly something a minor needs an adult to teach them they can learn by RPing with their peers, they don't need an adult to take their hand. They will naturally improve and mature by RPing with people their age like they should. An adult isn't required in the equation for them to naturally get better at a hobby through practice.

If your profile is correct you're 20 so I can understand maybe not quite grasping the importance yet. I know at your age I didn't think much of RPing with a minor. But I can tell you by my mid 20s I wasn't RPing with minors and I knew better to curate my space so I was RPing with people my own age. For my own safety and sense of mind and because I don't need to RP with minors.
i dont see why honestly lmfao. I neverminded rping with people much older than me or much younger than me. Like roleplaying is flexible. Obviously, choose your audience for different type of roleplays xP

Is it creepy if a random adult goes to a playground and starts playing with children?
I mean... i play in soccer and sometimes let the kids play with me and shit so... yes and no? Obviously some creepy person going to play with 5 years ol is weird but being a group of people playing something in common, then a group of young teens or teens come to join us, i dont see the problem lol.

Once upon a time I was that kid playing hockey with adults in the ice ring, it was hecking fun so why not let younger ones play with us even if i grew up?

I am aware the definition is a "pedophile of preparing a child for a meeting". But honestly if you think, you as an adult needs to teach a minor to RP by RPing with them instead of actually just teaching them . . . what are you doing? Grooming them to be the kind of RPer you want, showing them what it is expected of them . . . kinda creep for an adult to do when they can learn that from their peers.

Let's get away from a sexual context here . . . in what way as an adult do they need in any context to RP with a minor. What justification is there that an adult can't be RPing with someone within their own peer group. What niche interest, what theme, what anything is an adult RPing that they can't RP with someone their own age, and they must resort to RPing with a minor? What justification beyond thinking, as an adult, they must teach a minor to RP when it is a hobby that does not in any way, shape or form require a nameless, faceless, adult stranger on the internet to teach it.

I mean for crying out loud I learned to RP from my friend. I RP'd and learned RPing some other 14 year olds. I never had an adult teach me how to RP. It's that simple of a hobby. It's a writing game.

I can't for the life of me find any justification for myself, a 30 year old adult, to see any reason or have any need to go "hmmm I think maybe I need to RP this idea with a 16 year old" . . . like how in the world is that not creepy?

Am I the only one who thinks it's wildly inappropriate to RP with teenagers? Like I can't think of anything I RP that I can't RP with someone my own age . . . like it's so creepy to think an adult needs to RP with a teenager because they seriously can't find some other adult to RP with . . . like what?

I see where the disconnect is coming from. You are treating this like adults targeting children for the reason of manipulating them. The rest of us are merely saying that we are open minded. So if for instance a fourteen year old contacts me and wants to do a unicorn farming roleplay. As long as they meet my roleplay requirements I'll say yes. If they happen to ask for assistance with specific things I'll give it to them. Because I see that as being polite.

I am not going to be hunting down children to mold in my image like some kind of weird helicopter parent. If that is what you are objecting to than I happen to agree. I just don't think that is the only way that an adult and a child can interact.

Clearly I'm in left field here . . . but like no one has given me justification or any real solid reason adults need to be RPing with minors yet.

Like it's just . . . at some point you gotta not RP with kids.

But w/e welcome to RPN!
The way I see, people who just refuse to work with someone cause of their age, it's just ageism... but thats cause most people who told me I dont want to play with minors, its cause they suck or dont understand life etc etc. Maybe ur reasoning is different. When it comes to safety, dont rp sex cause its just awkward and against the law

No, no, you all are putting words in my mouth. I am seriously not talking about targeting children sexually or maliciously or to manipulate them. I keep trying to veer away from that.

I am talking as an adult at some point there needs to be a realization that it's not appropriate to RP with minors. Regardless of theme, genre, subject matter. At some point you gotta go "I don't need to RP with a minor, I can find someone my own damn age to RP with" and it has NOTHING to do with NSFW content. It has everything to do with covering your own ass an adult and knowing you can engage in your hobby without involving someone underage.

I think it's uncomfortable to be a 30 year old RP with a teenager. Shit an 18 year old is already 12 years younger than a 30 year old . . . and apparently that only becomes creepy if sex or relationships are involved . . . and somehow I think it's fucked up that it takes sex and relationships to make it creepy.

Because you are assuming an adult needs to cover their ass to talk about platonic topics with children. That is why I keep bringing it to sexual area because you are using words that tell me on some level that is what your issue is.

I mean ask yourself - Why would an adult have to "cover their ass" when talking to a child about Harry Potter, Pokemon, Marvel Movies, Unicorns, Magical Quests, or any number of things that people roleplay that have nothing to do with sexual or romantic themes?

I mean like realistically what am I supposed to be scared of here? Oh no I talked to a fourteen year old about how the economy of the Harry Potter universe works! Oh holy crap I got into a debate with a sixteen year old about who is more powerful Superman or Supergirl! Sweet Christmas I am talking to a seventeen year old about how many acres a unicorn would need to graze to produce a galleon of milk!

I mean why should I only be able to have those conversations with people who are twenty or older? It doesn't make any kind of logical sense.

Last edited:
Because you are assuming an adult needs to cover their ass to talk about platonic topics with children. That is why I keep bringing it to sexual area because you are using words that tell me on some level that is what your issue is.

I mean ask yourself - Why would an adult have to "cover their ass" when talking to a child about Harry Potter, Pokemon, Marvel Movies, Unicorns, High School, or any number of things that people roleplay that have nothing to do with sexual or romantic themes?

I mean like realistically what am I supposed to be scared of here? Oh no I talked to a fourteen year old about how the economy of the Harry Potter universe works! Oh holy crap I got into a debate with a sixteen year old about who is more powerful Superman or Supergirl! Sweet Christmas I am talking to a seventeen year old about how many acres a unicorn would need to graze to produce a galleon of milk!

I mean why should I only be able to have those conversations with people who are twenty or older? It doesn't make any kind of logic sense.
What she said. I don't understand why age should be a determining factor on who and who not to befriend or share platonic moments with. I don't go out of my way to befriend younger or much older people, but I don't avoid them either.

But hey Y yanastyboi if you find it uncomfortable, then that's okay too. I know a lot of straight girls that cant be friends with guys no matter how much they try, vice versa. You have preferences in friendships etc etc...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back