• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Fandom Overlord - A Hat Full of Shadows (Private RP)

Lord Moldoma

Professional Sweetypie
Roleplay Availability
Roleplay Type(s)

Final Moments - I​

DMMO-RPG. Or, Dive Massively Multiplayer Online Roleplaying Game.
In the year 2138 remaining portions of the natural world were a distinctly rare commodity. The natural world, for the average person, had been fully obscured and destroyed by the mass industrialization of the late information age. In combination with the gravitation towards a Corporation-run series of world governments, the world of the 22nd century found solace in the form of virtual reality entertainment. The DMMO-RPG allowed one to jack themselves into a fictional setting with elements that the average human would never get to experience in the real world, via a direct neural-nano interface monitored by a virtual reality helmet. Born from this basic idea came multiple games, such as Aderage, a mech/battlesuit based combat game with a hard-core ranking system. Or the more intense "World of Hate", which was akin to a more surreal RPG similar to the classic 21st century games OFF or Space Funeral, albeit fully in VR.
But the game that undeniably towered over all others and proved time and time again to be the ultimate DMMO-RPG was inarguably "YGGDRASIL."
YGGDRASIL was a game of exploration, and so many things were mysteries left unknown for players to discover on their own or in groups. It was a game where all you were told was the controls before being thrown into the deep end. In other words, the unique thing about YGGDRASIL was the incredible amount of freedom given to the players compared to any other DMMO-RPGs out there. YGGDRASIL's massive setting and mass of options meant that players had the chance to truly express themselves in a world built for roleplay and exploration, in a way that the real world wasn't. Even if it was undeniably pay to win, with enough work, even a player with little money could come to be successful and powerful in their own right.
The game had been active since its release in 2126 AD and until 2138 AD. In the current year, 2138, however, the game's community by then already lost the vibrancy it once had. As a result, the remaining players still playing YGGDRASIL met their final day online.

In the inner sanctums of the Logos guild hall lie the Roundtable room. It was a large circular room composed of a dark, glossy black material, with a large circular table made of the same material, sitting in the center, the room illuminated by the bright light which shone out of the top of the table. There were 30 thronelike black chairs arranged around the table. Only 3 were occupied. It had been a long time since the golden age of the Logos guild, in fact, the 3 remaining members were all that was left of the member-base. Along with their NPCs, they were all that populated the halls of the guildhall.

"So that's it then? It's over...? I've spent more of my time living out my life in this game than I have in reality..." Restless Dreamer, the guild leader sat in one of the chairs, holding a round palladium coin with a small ruby embedded squarely in the center, shined and cut to perfection. A piece of treasure from the remaining group-members' final raid on another guild hall. To be fair, it wasn't worth all that much to her other than as a piece of memorabilia. She tossed the coin up and caught it. "What do you think we oughta do? We've got maybe... I don't know... 15 minutes left? Not enough time for anything big I wouldn't think." She tells her fellow guildmembers, looking around the room.

The logos guild had been hit hard by the rapid decline of YGGDRASIL's playerbase. There were originally 30 members of Logos. Together, they probably could outmatch a world enemy on their own. But when the game started to die off, members began to resign. Raids became far less common both by the guild itself (before stopping altogether once the 20th member to leave left), and by enemy guilds.

The group sat on a treasure trove of gathered knowledge, NPC levels, and most importantly, lots and lots of loot and items. But it seemed so small and insignificant now that the world they had created was about to come to an end.

Dreamer put her chin on her hands. "Personally I'd just like to stay here until the game shuts down..." She says, moving her eyes between her two remaining allies.

Heyy. I would like to do this with you if you will let me. I just need a little more information about the plot and who the characters are. Also do you have a preferred age that I have to be?

Heyy. I would like to do this with you if you will let me. I just need a little more information about the plot and who the characters are. Also do you have a preferred age that I have to be?
This is a private RP, I'm currently waiting for the other two players. I apologize for the inconvenience.

Final Moments - I​

In the year 2138 remaining portions of the natural world were a distinctly rare commodity. The natural world, for the average person, had been fully obscured and destroyed by the mass industrialization of the late information age. In combination with the gravitation towards a Corporation-run series of world governments, the world of the 22nd century found solace in the form of virtual reality entertainment. The DMMO-RPG allowed one to jack themselves into a fictional setting with elements that the average human would never get to experience in the real world, via a direct neural-nano interface monitored by a virtual reality helmet. Born from this basic idea came multiple games, such as Aderage, a mech/battlesuit based combat game with a hard-core ranking system. Or the more intense "World of Hate", which was akin to a more surreal RPG similar to the classic 21st century games OFF or Space Funeral, albeit fully in VR.
But the game that undeniably towered over all others and proved time and time again to be the ultimate DMMO-RPG was inarguably "YGGDRASIL."
YGGDRASIL was a game of exploration, and so many things were mysteries left unknown for players to discover on their own or in groups. It was a game where all you were told was the controls before being thrown into the deep end. In other words, the unique thing about YGGDRASIL was the incredible amount of freedom given to the players compared to any other DMMO-RPGs out there. YGGDRASIL's massive setting and mass of options meant that players had the chance to truly express themselves in a world built for roleplay and exploration, in a way that the real world wasn't. Even if it was undeniably pay to win, with enough work, even a player with little money could come to be successful and powerful in their own right.
The game had been active since its release in 2126 AD and until 2138 AD. In the current year, 2138, however, the game's community by then already lost the vibrancy it once had. As a result, the remaining players still playing YGGDRASIL met their final day online.

In the inner sanctums of the Logos guild hall lie the Roundtable room. It was a large circular room composed of a dark, glossy black material, with a large circular table made of the same material, sitting in the center, the room illuminated by the bright light which shone out of the top of the table. There were 30 thronelike black chairs arranged around the table. Only 3 were occupied. It had been a long time since the golden age of the Logos guild, in fact, the 3 remaining members were all that was left of the member-base. Along with their NPCs, they were all that populated the halls of the guildhall.

"So that's it then? It's over...? I've spent more of my time living out my life in this game than I have in reality..." Restless Dreamer, the guild leader sat in one of the chairs, holding a round palladium coin with a small ruby embedded squarely in the center, shined and cut to perfection. A piece of treasure from the remaining group-members' final raid on another guild hall. To be fair, it wasn't worth all that much to her other than as a piece of memorabilia. She tossed the coin up and caught it. "What do you think we oughta do? We've got maybe... I don't know... 15 minutes left? Not enough time for anything big I wouldn't think." She tells her fellow guildmembers, looking around the room.

The logos guild had been hit hard by the rapid decline of YGGDRASIL's playerbase. There were originally 30 members of Logos. Together, they probably could outmatch a world enemy on their own. But when the game started to die off, members began to resign. Raids became far less common both by the guild itself (before stopping altogether once the 20th member to leave left), and by enemy guilds.

The group sat on a treasure trove of gathered knowledge, NPC levels, and most importantly, lots and lots of loot and items. But it seemed so small and insignificant now that the world they had created was about to come to an end.

Dreamer put her chin on her hands. "Personally I'd just like to stay here until the game shuts down..." She says, moving her eyes between her two remaining allies.
Restlessly conformed to his seat at the table as if a maniac confined to an electric chair, RailedxByxLuci, more commonly known among the guild members as simply Luci slumped within his chair. The cotton haired warrior once regaled for strength and defense and gaining infamous renown for not only competing but beating some of the better liked players in the game. The man once called “The Immortal” felt oh so mortal as the game became stale and its activity began to rapidly dwindle, as the members of Logos left he had focused solely on those who remained.

“You would think that a game once so successful wouldn’t go out in such a distasteful way…but like all good things it must come to an end one day. I don’t mind waiting it out, once the game shuts down I guess I’ll take a nap and figure out what to play next afterwards.”

Luci agreed with her, as he too placed a lot of time into the game just to get to where he is now. Although he wished he could simply enjoy the game one final time similar to its glory days with his guild mates. Striking down raiders foolish or brave enough to challenge them. Participate in glorious PvP combat, the mere satisfaction of being involved and watching his teammates grow from before and after being apart of Logos.

He sat and reminisced on all that they achieved, all of the fun they had. Even with troubling times in real life that this place had become more than a game to him, twas an escape to another family, a life he felt proud of. Luci then raises his right forearm and activates the game’s menu to remove an apple and ale from his inventory.

“The last meal in this world…had I logged on earlier I might’ve been able to have something cooked up but it’s not really worth the materials at this point.”

He then proceeded to consume it and like always felt nothing. The game notified him of the small health boost gained from it but he didn’t care he simply figured he should do what his character might enjoy in his last moments and that was simply remaining surrounded with those he deemed friends.

Final Moments - I​

Final Moments - I​

Anath3ma's avatar was in it's Human form. His Swarm form was fun, but it was easier when his character had an actual mouth to move to speak. He was sitting in his Throne of Sin as usual, it's abilities were useful enough to stay in unless necessary and it could fly at a speed nearly equal to his Swarm form's speed.

"I still think shutting the game down was a mistake. Give it a few years, more players will come. Still, not like I'm the one in charge."

He had a background program running to copy and save as much of the game's data as possible. Normally doing so would get his account flagged and banned, but with it ending he had a tiny window where he might actually get enough to be worth something. It was a slim chance, but there was no sense leaving money on the table.

"There was still so much lore to learn, so many secrets to uncover, so many bugs-"

Anath3ma briefly summons a Vile Larva into his hand, then dismisses it.

"-to exploit for fun and profit. If there's not another game like this soon I'm going to be sooooo bored."

He leans back in his Throne.

"Not that I'm looking forward to having to spend time and money on a new game. It's a long shot but I hope some things could be transferred."

Anath3ma had been known by quite a few titles by in-game players due to his infamous debuffing build. The ones that could be said in front of children included "Fun-Killer," "Game-Ruining Cheater," and "AGH! NOT THIS GUY!" Not that he had cheated exactly, but he'd made extensive use of online guides and questionable exploitation of the game's bugs to make his character able to reduce the stats of even high level players to those of single digit level characters. Sure he'd given up on most of his character's offensive abilities to do so, but that was what his fellow Guild members were for.

"I'm going to miss this Guild. And the Guildhall. Putting so much effort to make and improve something that's not even real. I feel like it's metaphorical or something."

He sits there until a thought occurs to him.

"Hey, do you think we're risking brain damage or something by staying in this when it ends? Like in Sword Art Online or whatever?"

He discards the notion immediately after.

"Nah, that was because the bad guy'd put microwave thingies in the tech. Besides, I'm recording the view, might as well have a record of when the screen finally goes dark."

Anath3ma's avatar was in it's Human form. His Swarm form was fun, but it was easier when his character had an actual mouth to move to speak. He was sitting in his Throne of Sin as usual, it's abilities were useful enough to stay in unless necessary and it could fly at a speed nearly equal to his Swarm form's speed.

"I still think shutting the game down was a mistake. Give it a few years, more players will come. Still, not like I'm the one in charge."

He had a background program running to copy and save as much of the game's data as possible. Normally doing so would get his account flagged and banned, but with it ending he had a tiny window where he might actually get enough to be worth something. It was a slim chance, but there was no sense leaving money on the table.

"There was still so much lore to learn, so many secrets to uncover, so many bugs-"

Anath3ma briefly summons a Vile Larva into his hand, then dismisses it.

"-to exploit for fun and profit. If there's not another game like this soon I'm going to be sooooo bored."

He leans back in his Throne.

"Not that I'm looking forward to having to spend time and money on a new game. It's a long shot but I hope some things could be transferred."

Anath3ma had been known by quite a few titles by in-game players due to his infamous debuffing build. The ones that could be said in front of children included "Fun-Killer," "Game-Ruining Cheater," and "AGH! NOT THIS GUY!" Not that he had cheated exactly, but he'd made extensive use of online guides and questionable exploitation of the game's bugs to make his character able to reduce the stats of even high level players to those of single digit level characters. Sure he'd given up on most of his character's offensive abilities to do so, but that was what his fellow Guild members were for.

"I'm going to miss this Guild. And the Guildhall. Putting so much effort to make and improve something that's not even real. I feel like it's metaphorical or something."

He sits there until a thought occurs to him.

"Hey, do you think we're risking brain damage or something by staying in this when it ends? Like in Sword Art Online or whatever?"

He discards the notion immediately after.

"Nah, that was because the bad guy'd put microwave thingies in the tech. Besides, I'm recording the view, might as well have a record of when the screen finally goes dark."
"..." Dreamer was quiet, if only for a moment. "If it were me, I wouldn't mind it..." She finally says. Her tone is desolate. "I don't move on like other people do. It's not easy for me. I don't want to wake back up in my bed and look outside and see the smog-filled grey skies, only bothering to do my job because I have to make a living, and then spending as much of the rest of my waking hours in the game." She explains to her teammates, her friends. The only people she could ever really say she knew.

"That's the thing about this too... It kinda feels like, in the end, no matter what I did, I lost." Dreamer says. "Even if we have the memories, they never actually did the 'Eater of Worlds' event." She explains. "I went through all this trouble, gathering the strongest and best players, collecting hundreds of Legendary and Divine class Items, and at least 14 World Items, for my own protection originally of course course, dedicating nearly a third of my life to the game, and yet, in the end, all that really came of it was a virtual catacomb full of reminders of glory days I can't even fathom how I'd relive."

"My parents died of overworking, and all of the food tastes like shit."

"So I'm gonna wait it out until the last minute... And then-" She remained silent "..."

It was an unhealthy addiction, the game. She'd been fired from a job at least once for poor punctuality, and she barely went outside. It was like being hooked up to some sort of twisted life support system. She needed it, it was what fueled her point of living.

“No no…you have a point. I don’t really think for me personally that anything could compare once this ends, I’m willing to ride this out with you guys because to me all the time I put in the game was precious.”

Luci had sought out this game ever since it was first announced, watching and analyzing any and all teaser trailers of gameplay. He was practically the same as RD, although his family members passed and left a decent amount of money behind for him he went overboard in investing in this game, paying people for their new and old accounts to simply test his build. Constant hours of surfing videos of the new meta’s for raids and PvP to build something that could not only overpower the majority but showcase to others that his idea of true gaming was all within his character. Soon enough the game had become his idea of the perfect game and his words of finding another was his attempt of coping with what he was going to lose.

“Years and years…all that money towards this, all the cool and fun things we did and all the stuff we won’t get to do. I was looking forward to ‘Eater of Worlds’ too…had this elaborate treasure-grinding session planned out for it too….”

Luci let out a sigh, he felt lowly, upset at the fact he’d put so much in and it would only amount to having no fulfillment. He even started to work in the real world to keep up his gaming habits, only having one relative who even bothered check on him. Seeing how he lived in the real world was saddening, the only real furniture he owned was an air-mattress and his gaming setup to play, he sold everything else just to keep playing and living in his own home all alone. Upset at the reality he had to face, the one he practically created himself, he knew he could’ve done more with his inheritance but didn’t want to. He simply wanted to keep escaping to this world where all the problems couldn’t reach him.

“I love playing with you guys, couldn’t have asked for better friends honestly so…thanks.”

He didn’t wish to get emotional however he felt if he were never to meet them again once the game shut down he believed that they should know that he was grateful to have them not just as guild mates but as friends as well. Now he simply waits, his character tapping his finger on the armrest of his marble seat.

Anath3ma was unsure of what to say. He'd invested a lot of time and money in this game, but he didn't have anywhere near the same emotional stake.

Still, no reason to hurt the feelings of his Guildmates for no reason.

"Let's all agree to keep meeting then. If not on here then some other game or even just on a forum. No reason to let what we have die just because the game does, right?"

Not that he wouldn't miss them, but he had a life outside this game. Sure his job was boring, but it paid enough, had benefits, and he was in no danger of losing it.

It wasn't like he thought he was better than them, right?

"So what do you want to do with the time we have left? I could put some music on."

Anath3ma had downloaded a lot of music and managed to get it to play through magic items he'd had the NPCs create. Sure there were better uses of time than creating playlists from thousands of songs, but it'd been fun.

There was a bit of silence from Dreamer, who was still collecting herself and wondering what, she would do after the game shut down. "Do you have anything by Tatsuro Yamashita?" She asks. "I know his music is old old stuff from the 20th century... But music stopped being as good after new-age-pythagorism caught on again." New age pythagorism, being a mass-musical movement towards the re-popularization Pythagorean Scales. Which were explicitly rendered obsolete long long back in the age of classical music.

Dreamer always thought that it made new music sound discordant and 'Lonely' as she put it.

5 minutes left...

“I like the idea of keeping in touch, adds on to what to look forward too…also music might not be a bad idea.” As Dreamer inquired about Yamashita’s music, Luci was unfamiliar. Listening intently on her talk about new-age Pythagorism in music was interesting to him, as he’s never really had much in depth discussions about things like music in a long time, although he wasn’t much of a classical guy.

“I find that interesting RD, though I’m not as familiar with Yamashita’s work I’m more of a Rock & Blues and Jazz guy myself. If I may ask…what of the newer style of music from that point makes you think it’s not as good? Is there drastic changes between then and now?”

Anath3ma tilted his avatar's head.

"How about a classic?"

With a few commands he has Tchaikovsky's 1812 overture playing, fast-forwarding the music so that the cannons will come in just as the game finally shuts off.

"I love this piece because of just how many instruments or non-instruments could be used for it. I've even seen it done with ping-pong."

As the music swells Anath3ma begins moving his avatar's hands as if he were the conductor.

"Well, I can't say it hasn't been fun. I hope to see you on the other side."

The game that had been the core, anchoring aspect of RD’s life was about to end. And in all honesty, this was probably inevitable after a while. Rd was bound to mount her needs and desires to a fictional space where she actually felt important. And. To be fair, she really had no reason to go outside anymore, barely being able to withstand the toxic smog that constantly permeated the world.

The final countdown began.

5…
4…
3…
2…
1…

RD prepared to brace for the impact of suddenly being jerked out of the game. Everything she had worked for torn away from her in an instant. But..

The time simply reset, starting back at 00:00.

There was an eerie silence. And RD’s character visibly blinked. She instinctively moved her arm to pull up her menu, but it didn’t manifest.

She moved her arm in front of her hand and examined it, it shook as she realized what must’ve been going on. She went to cover her mouth. Only to find that her lips had become an uncanny, demonic, almost saurian maw.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back