• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Realistic or Modern Overcast: Stratocracy [Tkalec]

Lore
Here
Command mode

I decide to go with the Staff Sergeant's suggestion and issue the specialty rifles to squad 4. Despite the SSgt's remark about the stealthy approach towards the smugglers, I keep it in the back of my mind if the opportunity should arise where it would be feasible to attempt it. Using it against the infected however seemed like an excellent suggestion and I was sure to implement it whenever possible.

The nine bombs that were recently made are again redistributed among the NCO's. I decided not to issue the explosives to privates because I knew the NCO's would be more competent while using them. Each squad gets two and I take one for myself.

Along with the standard fighting order that is issued, I decided that the troops should also bring along the following:

-Combat helmet (are we issued these?)
-Compass
-Entrencher
-Goggles
-Matches
-MREs
-Paracord
-Patrol pack
-Rain coat/pants
-Rucksack
-Weapon cleaning kit
-Zip ties

Concerning the item list, I ask the Ssgt. for his input, particularly whether he considers any of the listed items redundant or perhaps if he believes that I should include something that I did not put on the list.

[You can copy and paste the map into paint or something, and outline how you'll send your squads/make plans]

The squads get two bottle bombs each, and you keep one for the HQ section as well.

Squad 4 is equipped with the suppressed .22 caliber weapons.

SSgt. Burke says that a rucksack wouldn't be necessary, as the kit should be able to fit in the smaller patrol pack. He says that rain gear would be fine to bring, it could be left behind in the trucks if the weather turns out to be dry. However, he says that the entrenches probably won't be needed, since no defensive operations that require trench digging are being conducted by the unit

Command mode

I decide to allocate the grenades. The following selection is made;

1st Squad
Sgt. Kevin Anders - 1 frag/ 1 firebomb
Cpl. Louis Durant - 1 smoke

2st Squad
Sgt. Erin Winther - 1 frag/ 1 firebomb
LCpl. Robert Clement - 1 smoke

3rd Squad
Sgt. John Shapton - 1 frag/ 1 firebomb
Cpl. Kent Slint - 1 smoke

4th Squad
Sgt. Adrian Colbran - 1 frag/ 1 firebomb

HQ Section
2Lt. Eugene Ward (me) - 1 firebomb

---
Hold another meeting with just the NCO's in order to explain my plan and ask for potential input:

plan.png

PLAN:
After arriving at the deployment zone, the Platoon will form a tactical column and proceed to the first objective (Den 2). The Platoon should split up after reaching the objective in order to engage the enemy in a pincer movement. Dagger 2-1 and Dagger 2-2 will attack from the east while Dagger 2-3 and Dagger 2-4 will approach from the south-east. The focus is on fast movement, flanking and suppressing fire. Prior to engagement, we will have to determine where to place the gunners so that they can provide covering fire with their saw machine guns. We will recon the area before engagement in order to asses the best advantageous position for the gunners. If all goes well and the objective is secured with due haste, we will regroup and move on to the second objective (Den 1). Dagger 2-4 will remain at Objective 1 in order to fend of possible counter attacks, to collect intelligence and to destroy the den itself. [NOTE: Please ignore the fact that I designated Dagger 2-4 to participate in the attack on the second objective, this is an error and I was too lazy to correct it] Under covering fire, the gunners will redeploy so that they can support the attack on the second objective. Once the gunners are in place, the attack will commence. Den 1 should be captured as fast as possible after taking the first objective. Again, we will collect intelligence and destroy the den itself. Once both the dens have been destroyed (and potentially once the intelligence has been gathered) we will make a tactical retreat. First the gunners, under covering fire and then everybody else (covered by the gunners).

After the meeting, tell the Squad leaders to relay the outline of the plan to the men. All the equipment should be checked before deployment and the men should get an adequate amount of rest before the mission.

You assign the grenades accordingly, keeping a bottlebomb for yourself. You find it fits nicely in one of the button-up pockets on your combat trousers.

You outline the plan to your non-commissioned officers.

SSgt. Burke suggests a staggered column for more spacing, and to use cover and movement when the suburb is reached, one squad at a time.

Sgt. Shapton raises an issue with crossing through the open field, saying it might leave the platoon too exposed. Though, Sgt. Winther points out that taking the long way (using the road into the suburb) would be just as dangerous, due to the possibility of hostiles engaging from the houses. "We might as well just make a beeline," she says. "Could send out the squads to cross the field, double time, one by one, in case we run into something that threatens the whole platoon."

Last edited:
SSgt. Burke made an excellent point, a staggered column would indeed be more appropriate as it provides more width and cover. "Agreed, Staff Sergeant, we'll implement a staggered column instead," I say.

Crossing an open field would be dangerous, so I might have to devise some other tactic. In any case, when it comes down to it and when the situation is properly assessed, I am determined to make the right decision. In my mind, the most important thing that I have been trusted with is to ensure the survival of these men and if I were to achieve this feat, I would need to assemble every bit of mental eneregy that I have. I need to stay sharp, soon I will be making some split second decisions. "Perhaps, or we might as well send out two squads and once they are acorss, we get the rest through. We always maintain covering fire so that our own men do not get pinned down. Although we should keep in mind the fact that plans can change once we are in actual combat. We will assess our position when we are near the field and consider our options from there."

Last edited:
"Got that right, sir. No plan survives first contact with the bad guys," Sgt. Anders chuckles.

The NCOs take note of the two-squad cover and movement intended for the crossing of the field.

Your non-commissioned officers finish discussing the last notes on the operation. Once everything is over, they go back to their man to impart what they know, and prepare everyone for bed. All the necessary kit is packed away tonight.

--

When reveille comes at 0430, your sergeants rouse their squads. It takes less than an hour from everyone to dress, eat a quick breakfast, and form up by the trucks. Everyone loads on, and you get transportation in a separate jeep with a senior private as a driver.

After the departure from Fort Sulch, the vehicles hit the highway, then take a backroad towards Jayton in order to get around the town of Nimbly. The Dirty Zone has a lot of overgrowth mixed in with the scattered trash, bones, and remnants of the old Central Republic before the outbreak. Country, homes are either burned down, ransacked, or barricaded beyond the point of entry by long-gone occupants. At least one or two nomadic zombies are splattered by the heavy trucks up front, but it's mostly clear.

Your platoon dismounts and makes their way to a patch of brush near the deployment zone (unmapped). The weather is fair, so SSgt. Burke suggested that the patrol packs with rain gear and unneeded items were could be left behind at the vehicles.

You are able to take command in the field at this point. Your signaler informs you that the company commander has authorized you to make your way towards the designated objectives.

At exactly 4:30, the reveille pulls me out of the hypnagogic half sleep state that seemed to have persisted ever since I first shut my eyes in order to get some rest prior to the mission. I knew that I had to be well rested before deployment in order to maximize the efficiency of my decision making process. However, after retiring to bed, I quickly realized that drifting off to sleep wouldn't be an easy task. It seemed as if my mind conjured up various thoughts and images that I couldn't suppress. Time changed pace as I drifted through this altered state of consciousness between the edge of sleep and wakefulness. When I finally open my eyes, it seems as if mere minutes had passed since I first shut my eyes. Only the sound of the reveille assure me that it really is 4:30.

Despite not catching any sleep last night, I wake up sharp and refreshed. My mental state is rather excitable and I exhibit a high level of psychological and physiological arousal - as evident by the increased heart rate and enhanced sensory alertness. I can feel an air of excitement materialize in my chest and slowly expand throughout the rest of my body. That is when I know that I am ready for the mission.

It takes the whole platoon less than an hour to assemble in front of the trucks and a few more minutes for everybody to board. I am an officer, so a private is waiting for me next to a jeep parked close to the trucks. I greet the private and hop on. The journey is brief and we reach our deployment area rather quickly. As the private stops the jeep and the roar of the engine subsides, I feel a strange sensation overcome my consciousness. Suddenly, I can feel everything; from the rustling of the wind, I can discern its approximate direction and speed; from the muffled early morning chatter among the troops in the trucks, I can recognize individual voices and the individual troopers that these voices belong to. My vision expands and I can see everything more clearly due to the sharpening of the senses.

Soon after I hop off the jeep, I am greeted by SSgt. Burke who suggests dropping the rain gear and other unnecessary items. I simply nod in agreement and order the men to leave these items. Not much after that the signaler informs me that we can head to the objective so I climb on one of the trucks and order the troops to move out.
"Alright 2nd Platoon, we are to begin moving towards the objective. 1st Squad is on point. Maintain a staggered column and stay sharp. Remember the rules of engagement."

Last edited:
Your subunits move in a staggered column until they reach the edge of the treeline, whereupon each squad is covered one at a time as they make a quick advance across the open space towards the houses.

The houses of the suburb are all in a heavy state of disrepair. Some of been almost entirely ransacked or burned out, and the streets and sidewalks are littered with rubbish and rotting or smashed furniture from decades prior. There is no undead movement, nor fresh corpses. The only bodies present are desiccated and skeletal, probably from the initial outbreaks.

Your signaler informs you that the other platoons have encountered negative movement.

Sgt. Colbran reports movement of a single reanimate through the gaps in the houses; it's a freshly-zombified female with a ratty outfit, bandoleer, and woolen cap. "Looks like a smuggler, sir," he remarks.

1565717982625.png

Last edited:
The squads move in a perfectly coordinated unison and I position myself in between the 2nd and 3rd squads so that I can see and hear what is going on up front and at the back of our formation. We move quickly, so naturally I am well pleased with the brisk and pacy movement that we maintain throughout our tour of the suburbs. Maneuverability is always necessary in combat situations and it is essential to avoid being pinned down in one location.

As we make our way through the gaps, streets and rotting houses my boots keep landing on various peaces of junk that have been left behind, in all likelihood, by long dead owners. Just as I am about to maneuver around one of the more conspicuous piles of litter, Sgt. Colbran brings to my attention the zombified woman that can be seen between the gaps in the houses. Sgt. Colbran's deduction; that she might be a smuggler seems reasonable enough, given the stuff that she is carrying on her person and the recent nature of her zombification; as evident by her general appearance and state of decomposition. I consider briefly the possibility that the dens were overrun and that we might encounter other smugglers akin to the infected woman. Perhaps the freaks from that awful cult are involved, although I could not be certain. In any case, we will find out soon as we were now very close to the dens.

"I want one of your men to dispose of her, silently. A bullet straight through the skull with one of the suppressed rifles would do it," I say to Sgt. Colbran. I figure that the woman might carry on her some valuable information so I again address the sergeant. "Once she's disposed of, have a few of your men take a look whether she's carrying anything useful on her. Command wants us to collect intelligence. Primarily, we are looking for information on more dens or cult connections. Also, I want it done as fast as possible. Have the rest of the men cover them while they are searching for intel."

I have the rest of the squads spread themselves out and take up defensive positions. The aim s to deploy them so that they can cover the 4th Squad and their rear while they try to extract intelligence.

Last edited:
Private Lance Wilson slings his shotgun, and takes out his secondary weapon. He lines up a shot with the suppressed .22 varminter, and manage to send a small-caliber round through the staggering zombie's temple. She teeters slightly, then collapses into a growing puddle of red-black fluid.
1566067664032.png
Sgt. Colbran dispatches Privates Gunderson and Burgman out to investigate the corpse, while several other soldiers provide cover. Looking over the corpse, they see that the woman took a bullet in the back before being feasted on by zombies. Not enough to scrape her bones clean, but enough for her to reanimate afterwards. Burgman finds a .45 pistol and enough rounds in the bandoleer to fill a few magazines.

"Yeah, she looks pretty fresh," Gunderson says as she heads back over to Sgt. Colbran and you. "Her blood ain't even turned black yet."

1566068606430.png

Last edited:
I let out a low key sigh as Gunderson confirms that the turned woman is indeed recently zombified. "Stay sharp, we might run into more of them. Perhaps she was turned forcefuly and on purpose - certainly the bullet hole on the back might suggest so," I say to Guderson. Suddenly, a dreadful feeling starts to materialize in my mind. Something is amiss, I could not exactly point out what but I can clearly sense the aura of dread in the air. Perhaps it is due to those cultists; it is an understatment to say that those fuckers give me the creeps; or perhaps I am overcatious. However, despite the anxieties and dreadful feelings, I force myself to set these thoughts aside as I am well aware that fear greatly clouds human judgement. We need to keep moving, I say to myself so I proceed to adress the whole platoon. "We're moving out again. Approaching Den 2 now."

Last edited:
"Roger that, sir," Gunderson replies. She unbuttons one of her pouches, taking out an old sports drink bottle, before spitting a mixture of saliva and dipping tobacco into it. She puts it away and straps her grimy dust mask back on.

The troops file back in with their squads, and movement resumes on your command.

You reach the three-way intersection, and the squads split up. Winther and Anders take their units towards the top, while Colbran and Shapton go to the bottom. You tag along with the latter group, along with HQ section.

Dagger 2-1 and Dagger 2-2 take up positions in the car park by Den 2 (a supermarket), deploying their squad automatic weapons. They're facing the front doors of the store.

1566090823820.png

You and the other group reach the southern end of the car park without seeing any movement. Though the windows have been heavily barricaded from the inside, particularly with shelves, you can see hands sticking through them, clawing.

I intently look around the car park and the remains of the den turned supermarket but fail to see any smuggler activity whatsoever. The silence and sheer desolation of the place radiated a certain ominous vibe which started to unsettle me. Earlier, I began to suspect that something was amiss, however now I was sure of it. Something is indeed awry about this whole situation that we find ourselves in. Immediately, I start to envision various alarming scenarios; such as ambushes and traps. In my thoughts, I keep suspecting those Children of the Plague cultists. This whole scene - the empty den that is probably full of freshly zombified smugglers - certainly fit their modus operandi.

"Contact the Company HQ section. Report no smuggler activity around Den 2 with no sight of the smugglers. Only a single freshly reanimated smuggler female that was found and disposed of close to Den 2. Also, report a possible infestation of Den 2 with sightings of clawing hands sticking out of the barricaded windows. Awaiting further instructions," I inform my signaller.

Your signals lance corporal nods, and begins to relay the information. "Zero, this is two. Uhh... no visual on any contacts except for one times Lima Delta(1) smuggler. Reporting that Delta Two has Lima Delta infestation. Awaiting orders, over," LCpl. Rolston says into his high-powered radio.

**"Zero, roger that. Make way to Delta One, investigate and report, over."**

"Two, roger that."

**"Zero, out."**

Around the time you're outed by HQ, an explosion is heard from within the store as a large section of the barricading is blown away. Shards of wood and glass fly into the air as the undead begin to file out, some of them now horrifically mangled from the blast, but still walking nonetheless. Figures appear on the roof of the market, and automatic gunfire is heard. You see one of your men go down, but you're not sure who.

One of the figures on the roof gets hit, jerking sideways and falling off the side with his assault rifle, landing among the horde as they immediately begin to tear into him. It stalls them momentarily, but the horde is dangerously close to your positions.

1566157430231.png

Another explosion and more gunfire is heard from the positions of Dagger 2-1 and Dagger 2-2.
The radio of Sgt. Anders barks. **"CONTACT!"**

(1) Living dead

Everything turns slow motion as the explosion blasts through the barricade, followed by the gunfire from the rooftops. My first thought is that we are caught off guard - ambushed and occupying an unfavorable position - and that we need to deploy to a more advantageous location. Not long after that, one of my own men is shot in the parking lot. I observe, thoroughly shocked, as his body lands on the ground. I do not recognize the man in question and I could not know at this point whether this man is dead or not. Nevertheless, he is the first casualty that I have ever recorded as a newly commissioned officer. As an officer, I went through all kinds of training; from field exercises to lessons detailing every important aspect of duties that a commissioned officer is supposed to preform; but no amount of training could ever prepare me for something like this. Suddenly, I can feel a huge weight on my shoulders. At this moment, it becomes evidently obvious to me that the lives of these men are in my hands, and that this is no longer a training exercise where an improper decision prompts mere scrutiny from the higher ups. This is the real thing - actual combat where wrong decisions mean the difference between life and death. For this reason alone, I manage to collect myself and focus on the situation that is unfolding before us.

My first thought is to main suppressing fire, aimed at the gunners from rooftops. "Suppressing fire, don't let them pin you down!" Then my attention turns to the gap in the barricades, created by the bomb blast. One of the gunners fell from the rooftops, so at least some of the infected were busy devouring him. It would be soon before they are finished with him, I have to act quickly. "Let's get those frags and bottle bombs on those zeds. Wait until a few more of them swarm the gap and then rain some fire on them," I yell out to my men who are now taking cover wherever possible.

More gunfire splits the air as your men begin to return fire with their carbines. The SAW, manned by Private Prager, cuts up bits of the roof. A bit of extra suppressing force is provided by Sergeant Colbran and Corporal Timura, who manage to put down a high volume of fire with their submachine guns.

More rotting corpses stagger out from the smoking hole in the side of the supermarket. One of your men throws a fragmentation grenade, and a mighty explosion engulfs the first few ranks of the undead. Bodies are shredded, limbs are torn asunder, and diseased skulls are split open as jagged shrapnel slices through the zombies. Many of them receive damage, but keep coming anyway, however. Even if they're now crawling.
1566170392356.png

Some of your men begin to move further away from the entrance as the horde approaches, though some of the zombies begin to fall as your troops direct fire on them while the gunmen are suppressed. Corporal Slint throws a fire bomb, which shatters among the horde and ignites around a dozen more ghouls, though they do not stop, simply continuing to shamble forward while the flames slowly eat at them. The acrid smell of burning rotted flesh hits the air.

The gunners on the rooftop don't reappear.

The bombs are not as effective as I envisioned them to be, but they do manage to slow down the infected to some degree, which at least deems the act partially successful. Nonetheless, I make a mental note to use such tactics sparingly from this point forward against the infected. They should prove useful against human opposition however, especially in close quarters combat.

"Alright 2nd Platoon, prepare to make an organized withdrawal! Maintain discipline and use cover when necessary." I wasn't sure whether the gunners on the roof would reappear at some point so I make a point to the troops. "Zero contact on the roof, but they might reappear at some point. I want the SAW gunner to redeploy first at the southern end of the parking lot. The rest of you are on crowd control duty, don't let those zeds get close. Drop a few more of those bombs if necessary but watch for danger close. Watch for the rooftops and suppress those fuckers if they reappear. Also, check for casualties, if they are KIA's, put a bullet in their heads, we do not want them to reanimate later on. As for the wounded, we'll carry them with us if possible. When the SAW is redoplyed, the rest of us will make the retreat," I relay to the platoon. I plan for us to retreat as quickly as possible to the southern end and then plan a way to Den 1.

After instructing the elements of 2nd Platoon that are within my proximity, I focus on the other group constituting the 1st and 2nd squads. Using the walkie-talkie, I instruct them to make a tactical retreat towards the southern far end of the parking lot.

Last edited:
It's difficult to project your voice amid the chaos, but at least one NCO from each squad on the southern end is able to hear you and pass it on. Staff Sergeant Burke scans the roof before moving close to you, the older man's face seeming tight. "Sir," he says after you're finished addressing everyone, "don't be too conspicuous out here."

The man who went down in front of you, whom you now recognize as your marksman, Private First Class Palmer, has now been stabilized by medic Corporal Wilkins. He's able to walk despite his wounds, though he doesn't look to be in great shape. Another member of your southern group to be wounded was Private Black, though he only suffered a minor gunshot.

Sergeant Colbran orders his squad into a firing line against the zombies emerging from the southern entrance. The remaining two dozen or so are finally cut down with sustained rifle fire.
1566496655878.png
You see the other squads from the north begin to move down to regroup. They appear to be in worse shape, with at least three wounded being carried, and several dozen undead still on their trail. One of the troops throws a grenade, catapulting rotting limbs into the air in the ensuing explosion.

"Hall, Joyce, Shock, KIA," Shapton reports. "Pence, Horne, Gardner, heavily wounded. We lost our SAW in the chaos- Shock got eaten while trying to grab it after Horne got hit."

"Sir, I'm gonna need time if I'm going to stabilize any of these wounded,"
Corporal Wilkins says.

"We gotta get to a better fuckin' position first," cries Corporal Durant.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back