• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

OVERCAST: Bradbury's Brigade

Lorsh

Varlot
Roleplay Availability
Roleplay Type(s)
OVERCAST

• Don't look at this map if you are not this thread's participant. (No metagaming.)

k3ZszkV.png

0W5hCfC.png

NUdLhHg.png

Last edited by a moderator:
You are Dylan Bradbury, and you are the leader of a reformist rebel faction within the dysfunctional Central Clean Sector.

saazmyH.png

The chaos of the initial outbreak has since become hazy to you, as it all occurred many years ago. Martial law was declared, and evacuation points were set up. However, due to an attempted invasion of the Central Republic's northeastern border by an opportunistic Kazacia, the military's resources were split between two fronts. All the evac zones had ceased operations after a few weeks, and the remaining cops and Civil Guards were pulled back to the clean zones. The power grid shut down, and the rest of the world went dark once the military set up equipment to jam communications. The war with Kazacia ended without a winner, as both nations' militaries were ultimately overrun by the undead after being weakened by extreme supply shortages, lack of morale, and extended combat.

You reside in one of the clean zones, one of the areas where the authorities were able to establish and maintain control while the rest of the country crumbled. However, due to the authoritarianism of the National Provisional Authority, you have recruited an armed militia that is determined to bring about change to this sector.

Your base of operations is located in an old factory in one of Broxbane's industrial areas. Your compound is surrounded by a chainlink fence, albeit one without any barbed wire. It's enough to keep the ghouls at bay, but fresh zombies might be able to climb over it. There are gates located on the east and ends of the factory compound. This part of the city has been cut off from the main electricity grip for months, so you rely on your generator for power. The only room with power is the planning hall and meeting room, which also serves as the high ranks' quarters. The generator doesn't consume much fuel overall.

Your compound is home to 63 survivors. It's a little overcrowded, but some comforts must be sacrificed due to the brutal nature of urban warfare. This is a cause for disgruntlement among a few of your people, still. But, of course, they have steeled themselves for life as resistance fighters.

During your time in the compound, several NPA and reformist positions have been marked down. You've heard that zombie outbreaks have occurred in some parts of the city, and the locations rumored to be currently controlled by the undead have been marked down as well. Civilian activity is mostly scattered around- many areas have been abandoned as residents have fled or become killed in the crossfire.

JTd7oB1.png

Last edited:

• (One suggestion: naming the city streets. Might take a while, unless you use a really simple and mundane naming system, like numbering them all or something. Would make things easier geographically speaking; if you want, I can help with that.)

Dylan rubs his eyes as he awakes from yet another night of disturbed sleep; he had woken up almost a dozen times over the course of the last eight hours. Suffering from the loss of his love was dealing a heavy blow to him. There were bags under his eyes, his movement sluggish. He had ate less than normal recently. He was prone to snapping at everyone. All he wanted was Kaylie back; and his father.

The rebel leader forced himself to get out of bed and walk over to the door that would lead out of his bedroom and into his meeting room. He held his head in pain, a headache coming on as he walked into the well-lit room, it being the only one that could even be well-lit in the factory.

Outside in the room, he found his advisor, Ben Waters, loitering. "Hey, Ben. Anything happen last night?" Dylan asked, sitting tiredl y in one of the plastic lawn chairs that had been dragged in here around a big table. At least there was some kind of organization there. “Get all the officers together, I want to plan out what we’re gonna be doing over the course of the next few days.”

“I was thinking,” Dylan started up once all of the advisors and officers were together, “that our fence’s lack of protection on the top of it makes us real vulnerable. Anybody, including the more recently infected fecks, could climb it. It would take someone a while, yeah, and in a perfect world our lookouts would have seen them by the time they got over it, but that doesn’t change the fact that it’s still possible. Is there anywhere in the area you can think of where we could either steal barbed wire from, trade for barbed wire from, or collect resources we could craft barbed wire from? Think real hard on it, it’s important,” Dylan stated, trying to put as much emphasis in his voice as he could; but he really couldn’t. His depression shone through his words, which he spoke with a very dead, saddened tone. It almost sounded like he was defeated, but the cogs turning in his head about what he wanted to get done for the group in order to secure their safety in the future proved that he was still stubborn to keep everyone in this factory alive. At least for Kaylie’s sake.

“I also wanted to know exactly how far our men patrol; do they stay within the fence generally, or will they go outside it and walk the streets? If it’s the former, then I want them to start being more active and patrol a greater distance. Nothing crazy, just three blocks around the base, maybe further if we hear any gunshots or anything. I want to make sure that we are able to stay alert for anything that is coming our way, and ensure that everything in our area that could be scavenged is scavenged by US, and nobody else unless we say that they’re allowed to. That means, if our boys find someone out there who seem to be picking over a grocery or a school or a clinic or any kind of valuable building, we tell them either join us, or surrender that loot. We can’t afford anyone but us getting our hands on that kind of stuff.” Dylan said, sighing. “The vehicular budget for these patrols...Well, I’m not quite sure. What do you guys think? I don’t know if having all of our cars out and about would be smart, nor do I think we shouldn’t give our guys keeping an eye on our territory the lack of a chance to be able to get away from anything they need to get away from quickly. And the solution to that could be to put them all into one or two vehicles, but the thing is that I want them spread out,” Dylan explains, trying to pick his advisors’ brains on this one. “Same goes for exactly how many guys we want on patrol, and what kind of guys; I think our specialized squads should be kept around for specialized missions, don’t y’all think? Like the assault squad, sniper squad, those kinds of units.”

Bradbury observed the map that had been sketched on the table, and put his index finger on the marker "REB" that was in the Industrial Zone, close to the zed markers. Then, he pointed at the one dubbed "LOOTERS," also in the Industrial Zone. Then, he pointed to the marker labeled "NPA", to the southeast of the base in the Mixed Zone. "Tell me more about these three groups. They seem to be what we need to really worry about right now." Dylan said, sniffing. His voice was monotone and dejected. His eyes averted from looking anybody in the face.

Dylan perked up as he thought of another thing that he wanted to bring up to the group of advisors. “Oh, and, what’s the state of fighting in Broxbane at the moment, between the NPA and other rebel groups? Are there any ongoing conflicts right now, or is the fighting mostly at a standstill?” Dylan asked. “What I mean is, are there any battles or sieges or raids going within the city that we know of that we could possibly intervene in, or at least be aware of and keep a watchful eye on?”

Last edited:
[show me some street naming concepts if u want, don't work too hard on it though, just show me the gist of it first.]

You call your officers together and meet them in the planning room. Ben tells you that it was quiet last night.

200px-Community_Noun_project_2280.svg.png

Your assembled commanders listen to you speak before offering up their replies and responses.

"Right now we mostly patrol the walls, since the outside can be dangerous. But we can organize them to patrol outside more regularly, so we can project more force around the area and lay claim to more resources," Ben says.

"Vehicles aren't that much more useful than walking at this point, considering how much obstructive rubble is around," one of your ringleaders, Cort Hughes, tells you.

"We could probably get barbed wire from one of the NPA outposts, they probably keep rolls of it," Henry Cooley tells you.

Your intelligence officer, Lina Kauzlak, says that she updated your tac-map with specific designations for each human outpost.

"Reb Echo is an outpost for the Allied Reform Front. It might be for industrial assets," Kauzlak says.

"We know a gang of looters is hanging out at a grocery market in the Commercial Zone of this area. We don't know much about them, though. Best case scenario is that they're scavenging around and are willing to trade. Worst case, they're a gang led by some mini-warlord asshole," Burt Truman says.

"NPA Charlie is another outpost. They probably have troops stationed there because they want to control the big road for some reason," Henry Cooley says. "Be careful, our scouts reported seeing an armored car or APC there earlier."

"We're in the southern end of the city, which is less active in terms of rebel-on-NPA combat compared to the north, but more zombie-infested. In the northern part of Broxbane, there is heavy fighting between ARF and the government. ARF, or the Allied Reform Front, comprises the bulk of the rebels fighting in the city at the moment. They've taken over the western half of the city and are trying to push the NPA out. I think I heard a rumor that ARF is planning to attack an NPA stronghold based in a high school, a bit north from here," Kauzlak tells you.

(I didn’t really have a system in place to be honest lol, I was going to see what you came up with. If naming all the streets would be too much of a force though, which I would understand, maybe we could just figure out names for a few in the vicinity of the home base?)

Bradbury strokes the stubble that had begun to grow on his beard since he stopped finding the will within him to do mundane things like shaving as his commanders informed him on the various topics that he had decided to bring up. “While you’re right, and it is certainly more dangerous to have our men patrolling out in the streets, I think you also have the right idea about projection of force. And like I said, it’s important that we know what is coming before it comes,” Dylan said, before looking over to Wilmarth. “Make sure that anybody who goes on this kind of patrol has radios. We need to make sure that we can reinforce them if we need to, and stay updated on any kind of situation that occurs out there. Make sure everyone is sufficiently armed, as well, and if anyone is willing to part with some body armor temporarily to give it to a patrolman, make sure they do so. We want our boys to be as protected as possible, out in the wastes.”

Dylan takes a moment before continuing. He hiccups, and rubs his hand through his hair, looking down at his feet for a few long moments before looking back up, this time at Hughes. “You’re right. The rubble everywhere would make it advisable to keep those kinds of patrols on foot, at least until we decide that we want to travel some distance.” Dylan said, before turning to Cooley. “Wouldn’t that make the use of an APC by Charlie NPA null and void? We could easily outmaneuver something like that in these kinds of conditions, I’m sure. An urban, destroyed environment gives advantage to the enemy that isn’t seen. And that’s where guerilla warfare becomes so difficult for the guy who’s trying to fight such an insurrection; you never know who’s an enemy and who’s a civilian until they start shootin’ you,” Dylan says, the remark about the APC being pointed at Cooley, trying to share some kind of wisdom and also trying to make himself feel better about the odds. “Throwing them from rooftops and around the corners of dark alleys, I think we could barrage that vehicle with enough bombs to knock it out of commision. If we’re lucky, it won’t come to that, and we can scavenge it. Is this APC rolling around by itself, or supported by infantry? Maybe it would be worth it to hunt this thing. Then again, that would alert Charlie NPA to the fact that we’re planning on making moves against them,” Dylan says, confirming the idea that he wanted to make a move against that group of soldiers.

“That barbed wire is a tempting reward,” Dylan explains, trying to justify this idea to attack the soldiers at that outpost. “And like you said, they probably are looking to control that road. That could mean that supplies could be coming in from there, or they might even be sending in more troops to try and take further control of the south. Perhaps these factories, they could renovate them, and actually make them useful for war production. Though, they’ve probably got enough of that in Granger and Denmont,” Dylan said, mostly just throwing thoughts around. “Kauzlak, do we have any clue of how many soldiers are in Charlie?” Dylan questioned. ”Wilmarth, are we in contact with any of the rebels in our area over the radio? If we aren’t, we should send a delegation, as soon as possible. One to Delta Reb and Charlie Reb. I want to know about that attack the ARF is planning.”

Dylan continues his inquisition, now looking at Burt. “Truman, do you think you and your squad would be capable of doing some recon on these looters? From a long-range; make no contact, just find out as much as you can about their numbers, their equipment, and their camp. Look for telltale signs that would clue us into their disposition -- we need to identify whether they are friend or foe.”

“Oh, and it’s getting a bit overcrowded in this factory; I know people have been complaining about it. Any chance we have anything in the settlement to prepare further housing? Maybe some improvised shelters, maybe some tents. Is there any space inside the fence to build such things, or would those kinds of structures have to be outside of the fence? Then comes the question of expansion of our perimeter defenses,” Bradbury said, a hint of being overwhelmed hidden somewhere in his voice. He was confident in his leadership qualities, but something about the idea that just over sixty lives depended on whether or not he was making the right choices unnerved him.

Dylan, finally, states: “One more thing. Make sure Roderick Jones and Jay Folder set up on the roof of the factory. The best thing for anything coming toward us is a .50 round, I think.”

Last edited:
"APCs are designed for urban combat, so it would be able to roll over the rubble without much problem. Our civilian vehicles can't do that," your mechanic, Sergio Anders, tells you. "Its turret might be able to rotate pretty quickly too, I'm not sure. But enough bombs could probably knock it out, it's not a tank or nothin'," he shrugs.

"Their armor would have at least one squad of infantry as support, maybe more," Cooley tells you.

Kauzlak thinks for a few moments, remembering the details of NPA Charlie's outpost. "At least four squads, maybe more. Some of them look heavily armed," she says. Standard NPA squads come in three main varieties; regular, reserve, and heavy. It sounds like some heavier squads may be supporting the APC or armored car.

General Army Squad Compositions - from Kauzlak's notes

** = Sergeant
* = Corporal

Heavy Squad

Army Soldier** | NPA | Auto-carbine [30/30, 30/30] | Ballistic vest

Army Soldier* | NPA | Auto-carbine [30/30, 30/30] | Flak jacket

Army Soldier | NPA | Auto-carbine [30/30, 30/30]

Army Soldier | NPA | Burst rifle [15/15, 15/15, 15/15]

Army Soldier | NPA | Tac-SMG [30/30, 30/30]

Army Soldier | NPA | Tac-SMG [30/30, 30/30]

Regular Squad

Army Soldier** | NPA | Tac-SMG [30/30, 30/30] | Flak jacket

Army Soldier* | NPA | Gov't carbine [15/15, 15/15]

Army Soldier | NPA | Gov't carbine [15/15, 15/15]

Army Soldier | NPA | Pump shotgun [6, 12]

Reserve Squad

Army Soldier** | NPA | Gov't carbine [15/15, 15/15]

Army Soldier* | NPA | Mini-carbine [12/12, 12/12]

Army Soldier | NPA | Sporter compact [5/5, 5/5, 5/5]

Army Soldier | NPA | Pump shotgun [6, 12]

"Me and my crew can try to observe, yeah," Truman tells you. "We'll try to figure out who the leaders are as well. Since it's pretty close by, we should be able to be back soon with the intel," he says.

Your .50 cal crew is set to be positioned on the factory rooftop.

You only just moved to the factory, so must people are sleeping on the ground in sleeping bags. It may be possible to actually build some smaller structures within the factory itself, turn it into a little hub. One of your deputies also suggests looting army tents, since there are bound to be at least a few of them around. It might be possible to bust up existing city buildings for scrap and wood.

No contact has been established with ARF/other rebels yet.

“Alright, Truman. I’ve got faith in you; bring me good news,” Bradbury says, forcing a smile to come across his face as he shook hands with the veteran militiaman.

After Truman takes his leave, Bradbury rubs his head. “So that’s at least two dozen NPA in the Outpost. As much faith as I have in our men, it sounds pretty dangerous to try and launch an attack without being completely prepared for it, and drawing them into battle on OUR terms. And definitely not before that APC is handled,” Bradbury states, before continuing.

“Draw three volunteers from our ranks. They are to head to the southeast, toward Charlie, and spread out a bit. Try to blend in with the locals; and whatever they do, don’t get spotted by any NPA. I want them to see if they can’t get an idea as to what the APC is rollin’ around with, what the status of its armaments are including how quick it's turret is capable of turning, and what other patrols they generally field, and what their jurisdictions are. I want to know where that APC goes, and when it goes there. Also, task them with figuring out just how obstructed the main road to NPA Charlie is, as well as alternate routes that go to the same place. I want to see if there's a route we could easily take in vehicles to get there and get out of there,” Bradbury explains, trying to think this through as much as possible. "Same goes for big guns, like, artillery or machine gun emplacements, and any other vehicles owned by the NPA."

“My thinking, is that any prolonged combat with this outpost could be really deadly for us. If we don't take them out quickly, bang bang bang in one or two fell swoops, they could get reinforced and we could have a lot worse than a personnel carrier and two dozen soldiers in our backyard. Have we observed these kinds of patterns before? How actively do the NPA reinforce such an outpost if it comes under attack?”

“It's time to make contact with Echo Reb and Bravo Reb, then. Totter, you're a persuasive woman; you think you would be a good ambassador?” Dylan asks his Propaganda Officer. “Tell ‘em we're an independent rebel outfit, looking for help on taking down Charlie. In turn, we'll offer help in that high school assault that Kauzlak was talking about. Mention that we need 5.56 and 7.62, and would be willing to trade for such ammunition; mention a need for barbed wire as well. Meanwhile, I'll head down to Echo Reb and have a chat about consolidating our forces to establish rebel dominance in this sector. Maybe do some infected hunting in the near future, just to strengthen the bond and make our area safer. They might also wanna help out the attack on Charlie NPA, too.”

“I want some alarm traps scattered around the perimeter of the fence; a lot of them. Nothing fancy; just empty cans tied together with rope, tripwired to clang together if something triggers it. Might make bumps in the night a bit easier to respond to, eh?” Dylan says.

“And what do you all think the cost of a low wall around the perimeter of the roof would be? Reinforced every few yards by metal. Just enough to be sturdy without overdoing it. I'm thinking that if worst comes to worst and an enemy is knocking at our door, the roof will be our main defensive point.”

Dylan also tells his people to be on the lookout for these army tents, to loot them and also recover them and bring them back to the factory if they find them out there. The same goes for mattresses, sleeping bags, tents, all kinds of bedding.

Last edited:
Your officers agree to find three volunteers/voluntold militiamen to participate in scouting operations.

"I would guess that it would be unlikely for the NPA to reinforce one an outpost that has presumably fallen by the sidelines, since they need a lot of their forces focused on fighting ARF up north. However, we don't know how important these roads are to them, and for all we know there could be a southern district commander with troops to spare," Ben Waters says as he fidgets a bit. Ben has always had some nervous mannerisms, but has a good head on his shoulders and knows his way around a gun when it's needed.

Amy Totters nods, agreeing to be part of the delegation to the rebel outposts. A few bodyguards are ready to leave with you, should you want to head over to Echo Reb.

Sergio Anders thinks that it will cost about 20 scrap to put up some makeshift alarms. Of course, they would mainly only be useful against undead attackers, since a military assault would probably reveal itself on its own.

A rooftop palisade would cost about 75 wood and 15 scrap- though some of the wood could be substituted with more scrap if need be. Ben Waters says that he'll start working on a top-view map of the compound so that you will be better able to determine the best positions for defenses and future structures.

Bradbury sniffs and thinks for a few moments about what Waters had said. "Alright, the importance of NPA Charlie. That's something our scouts can maybe determine. And maybe if we run into any NPA we can manage to capture, we can interrogate them about that," Bradbury bats the ideas around.

"Anders, go ahead on those alarms -- that's top priority. You're foreman on this one; get anyone who you need who's idling around to help you out, and feel free to make use of the toolboxes we've got. Get it done," Bradbury orders.

Bradbury then says that he wants some militiamen to head out into the city, staying nearby, and start collecting wood and scrap, in preparation for the roof palisade.

"Okay Totter, get a few guys together and head to Bravo Reb. I'll head to Echo Reb with a fireteam and establish comms there. Waters, if anything happens, radio me," Bradbury says, smiling at his officers for the first time genuinely. "We're getting through this, guys. All we gotta do is stick together, and keep our heads level. And while you men and women may call me your leader, it's you that are the ones that let me lead, and let me lead effectively. If we stick together and make good choices, victory is as good as our's," Dylan declares.

With that, Dylan and his bodyguards leave for Echo Reb.

Last edited:
Your lieutenants agree that some information could possibly be extracted from a knowledgeable (and "cooperative") captive.

Anders heads out, and brings along a few idling militiamen to help him set up the makeshift alarms.

You are asked how many squads should be sent out to scavenge.

Your team smiles back at you, and preparations are made to carry out your orders. Once the meeting is concluded, Totter gets a team ready to leave for Bravo Reb.

You leave for Echo Reb with Lucio White and his team (Squad 1). As you make your way through the streets, you witness the devastation caused by the civil war. It all took less than half a year to tear the city apart, it seems. Industrial explosions have caused several damaging fires here, many buildings have been ransacked and looted, and numerous burnt out cars rest in parking lots. Not many civilians are still active in the industrial sector, aside from a few stragglers that flee once they see your group come into view.

tIZOC6N.png

You eventually reach Echo Reb, and see a few rebels with rifles guarding what appears to be a truck depot. One of them cautiously calls out to you. "What's your business here?"

Bradbury, before leaving for Echo Reb, decides to have squads two and three go out to scavenge together for supplies and resources. Thus, they both have adequate defense, while also not bringing the most well-armed troops away from the factory. They shouldn’t be going too far out, but Dylan also states that he doesn’t want them making a bunch of noise right next to the base, either - a healthy medium is required. He stresses the need for both of squads to be equipped with radios, to be called back if neccesary.

Dylan watches as straggling survivors flee from the presence of the eight rebels. He figured they were in the right to do so; they did probably seem pretty intimidating to someone who was by themselves and not very well-armed - most of them had some kind of rifle or vicious looking shotgun. However, he hoped that no one would mistake them for something more sinister than freedom fighters.

As Dylan’s group approached Echo Reb Dylan holds a fist beside his head, a succinct order to his troops to hold position, and be silent. Dylan checks the safety on his combat shotgun, before clearing his throat quietly and speaking; “I am Dylan Bradbury. I represent a small reformist rebel outfit in a factory nearby. My intel suggests that your group shares similar views -- I figure people like us should get to know one another. We’re stronger together,” Dylan says with a polite tone in his voice, but he kept an eye on each of the guards. Hopefully Kauzlak’s intel wasn’t false.

The rebels seem to relax a bit once you inform them that you are part of the same ideological movement, just a separate group. One of them, a guy with a fast-food 'Team Leader' baseball cap and an Emlite auto-carbine, nods to you and waves for you and your squad to come over. Your men are allowed behind the truck depot's protective riot barricades, and are offered seats and plastic cups of watery coffee over by a few old push carts.

The other rebel, a man in a scavenged NPA helmet with a big 'R' carved on it, slings his battle rifle and waves you over to him. He says that he can bring you inside to talk with his leader.
yr1IPNm.png

Bradbury is cautious but polite when he is led within the bulwarks of the depot, looking around himself in an attempt to use his intuition in order to determine the strengths and weaknesses of this group. He is pleased by the giving to his group of the coffee, despite whatever amount of water it might have in it - even if it wasn’t the best to drink, it was a show of goodwill.

As his group of rebels began to mingle with NPA Charlie for a short period of time during their coffee drinking and making themselves comfortable in the provided chairs, Bradbury begins to monologue with himself about what topics he might bring up to the leader of these men in his head. He wanted to establish the fact that this group and his group needed to work closely together, and keep an eye out for one another; put necks out for one another if necessary. Bradbury wanted the leader of this place to feel like he had gained a new ally.

On top of establishing camaraderie, Dylan wants to set some sights on some targets. This included his group’s sights on the infected sightings near Echo Reb’s position, in order to do a favor for them, and Echo Reb’s sights on NPA Charlie’s APC and possibly aid with the taking of the outpost itself.

Dylan hoped that such a move would be intuitive, to wipe out the only army outpost remaining in the south of the city. With them gone, consolidation of rebel forces and training of them would be easy here in the south, and it could become a safe haven in the rebels in this sector could then focus on the zeds.

Then again, the loss of their final foothold in the south could result in a massive counter-campaign to regain control. Dylan hoped it didn’t come to that.

When Dylan was hollered to with the NPA helmet with an R on it, he will tell his squad members to enjoy the coffee and he’ll be back in a few moments. Dylan will walk over to the man with his hands by his sides, the rifle slung over his back. Outstretching a hand and producing a smile, he says; “Nice to meet you. Thank you for bringing me to see your leader.”

Last edited:
The 'R' helmeted guy slides the pair of dirtbiking goggles he wore up onto his helmet, showing a younger face with brown eyes. He smiles and shakes your hand. "I'm Jared. Uh, yeah, he's just inside," he says, waving you to follow him. After entering the depot building, you see a few minor defensive positions set up inside, manned by other rebel gunmen who greet the two of you as you both pass by. There are things like sandbags and makeshift palisades set up, which would likely be effective in the event of a breach by soldiers. However, many large windows are left unbarricaded, making the building look rather vulnerable to an attack by the undead. Sandbags don't do much good against zombies, after all.

vWcaFk0.png

After passing all the guards, you are ushered into a room with a table and some chairs, and are offered a seat. A clean-shaven man walks in, wearing a green beanie, some old army fatigues, and a ballistic vest. "Hey there," he greets, offering his hand out for a shake. "I'm Lieutenant Heckby of the Allied Reform Front. I was told you represent another reformist group in the area, and came to see me. I'd be happy to see if we can work together," he say says he pulls out a chair and sits down across from you.
HV6NSGu.png

Dylan walks swiftly through the foyer where the defensive positions were, admiring the sandbags and palisades that the rebels had worked to create. Dylan hoped that the factory would soon look like such a fortress, however, that was going to take a little while; they had, after all, just moved into their new home there. But Dylan had faith that soon his resistance fighters would manage to build something truly spectacular out of what they had in the factory and what they could scavenge from nearby ; there was nothing that couldn’t be done as long as they put their minds to it - and these allies would certainly help.

After being brought past the guards into the room where the leader of Echo Reb was, Dylan takes the seat that he is offered and returns the greeting that Lieutenant Hackby offered, extending his hand and accepting his shake with a firm grip. “That’s correct, Lieutenant. My name is Dylan Bradbury, I lead a sixty-strong cell of rebels not far from here; set up in an abandoned factory,” Dylan succinctly explains.

“I came to speak with you about several topics. First of all, my group is planning to assault the NPA outpost within the Industrial Zone, one that my faction has taken to referring to as NPA Charlie. Both to secure Southern Broxbane, as well as NPA weapons and equipment to strengthen our forces. My intel states that NPA Charlie is armed with an armored personnel carrier, and approximately twenty-four infantrymen. My group is specifically in need of razor wire to secure our perimeter fences, which we are hoping to secure from this outpost as well as armaments.”

“Secondly, my group is running dry on ammunition, explicitly 5.56, 7.62, .308, .44, .45 and shotgun shells. We also don’t exactly have a large stockpile of 9mm, .22, .38 or slugs. If you could supply any ammunition, we would both be greatly appreciative, and could also offer things such as firebombs, alcohol, zone scrip and other miscellaneous trade goods in return.”

"It is good to have like-minded fighting men in this area," Heckby says. "The government positions at NPA Charlie have been of interest to us as well. Their armored personnel carrier could pose a threat to either of our outposts, so it would be good to deal with them. We could supply a rocket team and a few men to help you out, if you plan on launching an assault anytime soon. After that, would you be interested in hearing out our plans to attack another outpost, beyond the confines of your current map?" Heckby asks. "It's controlled by the police, and is another remaining position of power in the South."

"5.56 millimeter, 7.62 millimeter, and .308 caliber cartridges are the mainstay of most of our rebels here, so we wouldn't be able to part with any of that. We could, however, offer you pistol-caliber rounds and shotgun ammunition," Heckby tells you, before outlining some things he'd be willing to trade with.

Main Supplies

Rations: 10 scrip per unit

Fuel: 50 scrip per unit

Components: 50 scrip per unit

Scrap: 10 scrip per unit

Alcohol: 10 scrip per unit

Trade Goods: 5 scrip per unit

Ammo Exchange

.22: 2 scrip per unit

.38: 3 scrip per unit

9mm: 3 scrip per unit

.45: 3.5 scrip per unit

.44 magnum: 4 scrip per unit

Shotgun shell: 10 scrip per unit

Shotgun slug: 10 scrip per unit

Last edited:
(Holy shit, two posts in one night? Am I fucking dreaming? Lol I’m playin)

After a lengthy talk about prices of various ammunitions, Dylan decides to buy 20 shotgun shells and 10 shotgun slugs for the price of 300 scrip, and 66 9mm rounds for the price of 198 scrip from Heckby’s team, leaving Bradbury’s Brigade’s wealth in scrips at 3,002 scrips. He requests for these to be carried out to where his team was, who would load them onto their persons for transportation back to the factory when they left the depot.

Dylan radios back to Kauzlak, asking her to change Echo Reb’s name on the tac-map to “Lt. Heckby.” He also tells her to change the name of Bravo Reb to whatever the name of the commander there is, once she is informed of it by Amy Totter and her team of delegates.

“How many men exactly would compose your force that would assist my men in an attack on NPA Charlie? How would they be armed? And how much of the loot from the outpost would you want? Would your men be sent with a leader to command them on the battlefield, or would my veterans be assuming that command?” Dylan asks, wanting to figure out the particulars of what Heckby was offering.

“A police station, hm? That would be a valuable target, and probably easier to waste than the army outpost. Perhaps it would be wise to hit them first, and take their shit so that we can use it to move on Charlie?” Dylan asked, seeing the logic in that idea but wondering what Heckby thought. “Anyway, what’s your plan? What’s the do we know about these cops?”

After arranging to pay Lt. Heckby in NPA scrip, he informs you that his quartermaster will prepare some ammo boxes for you to take back to your outpost.

8feogo1.png

The discussion on tactics and strategy continues after the ammo deal is worked out. "I would supply two regular squads and one rocket team. I'll appoint a junior officer to lead my men, but I'll make sure he takes suggestions from you. How much of the loot we'll take will correspond to the amount of men you yourself choose to provide," he tells you. Heckby then proceeds to give you the details regarding the assistance he will be providing.

Group Leader

Rebel Officer | NRF | Tac-SMG [30/30, 30/30] | Ballistic vest

Team 1

Rebel Veteran | ARF | Assault rifle [25/25, 25/25] | Flak jacket

Rebel Militia | ARF | Assault rifle [25/25, 25/25]

Rebel Militia | ARF | Compact SMG [20/20, 20/20]

Rebel Militia | ARF | Hunting rifle [5/5, 5/5, 5/5]

Rebel Militia | ARF | Pump shotgun [6, 12]

Team 2

Rebel Veteran | ARF | Assault rifle [25/25, 25/25] | Flak jacket

Rebel Militia | ARF | Assault rifle [25/25, 15/25]

Rebel Militia | ARF | Tac-SMG [30/30, 30/30]

Rebel Militia | ARF | Tac-SMG [30/30, 30/30]

Rebel Militia | ARF | Pump shotgun [6, 10]

Rocket Team

Rebel Militia | ARF | RPG [1, 4]

Rebel Militia | ARF | 9mm pistol [12/12, 12/12]

"Anyway, about those lawmen. Let me show you the tac-map of the police outpost. I'm thinking that we should deal with Charlie first, since they are in the more immediate area to us and could choose to strike at our outposts if we divert our forces elsewhere. The police outpost has more manpower and better defenses, so it will be harder to attack than you might think," Heckby informs you as he shows you the map and intel that he and the other ARF outposts have gathered so far on the Broxbane PD's positions. Rebels would deploy by the dirt road south of the CIZ.

X7zDSZE.png

Dylan looks down at the map of the police station that Heckby had presented as, and stands corrected for his previous philosophy that the police station would be considerably easier to take. It seemed like nothing was easy anymore.

"Do they leave the station a lot? If so, we should study them and see when the most are on duty in the city. That's when we should attack; quickly and overwhelmingly. And within the first few seconds taking out that MG, because that's gotta be the most dangerous thing on the 'menu'." Dylan brainstormed, rubbing his face and for a
second picturing crowds of his and Heckby's rebels being gunned down by a rapid fire machine gun as cops in uniform laugh to one another -- he shakes the fantasy away as soon as it had formed.

"I would commit almost my entire force to the attack on NPA Charlie, probably close to fifty men. But not before I'm able to ambush and kill that APC when it's out of the base, as well as get more Intel on what guns they have - preparations could take as long as a week or as little as a day depending upon what my scouts come back with. Thus, I think it would be smarter for me and you to be in radio contact; therefore, I can tell you when we are ready to make our move against the outpost, and you can send your troopers over."

Heckby peers over the map. "My scouts tell me that around forty to sixty officers are stationed at their base at all times. They don't do many night patrols, so there would be more of them present if we attacked at night, since most would be recalled to back to their base to rest up. Apparently there's also a few other stranded civil servants holding out there, like firemen, paramedics and random bureaucrats, as well as at least a few dozen miscellaneous civilian refugees that are probably awaiting transfer to a refugee camp or safer city. There's a good possibility that those civilians are NPA loyalists or family members, since others have been refused entry to the police safe zone," he says, not going into any detail about what ARF's policy is regarding dealing with those kinds of people.

The rebel lieutenant nods when you tell him of what you plan on putting towards the assault on NPA Charlie. "I'll have my comms officer set up a secure channel for us to communicate with each other. We haven't got much intel on NPA Charlie, so we'll have to rely on the information that your scouts bring back as well. When you're ready to take action, radio me, and my assault group should be ready within half an hour," Heckby says.

(Did not realize it was my turn to post, my bad for the wait man.)

Bradbury thinks about what Heckby was telling him for a few moments; the policemen being out a lot during the day would help their chances, however if the fighting wasn’t resolved quickly that could mean that reinforcements could start arriving from all sides, and that could spell a lot of casualties for the rebel forces that would be attacking the station.

“Well, due to their sheer number I think it would be good to play to our advantages and attack the station during the daytime, when an amount of their officers are out patrolling the city. However, that could mean that reinforcements would have the ability to flank us.”

“Also, if your assault force came back with my diplomats, that might be a good idea. Only because I currently have operatives working to locate the APC, and as soon as they do, we could launch an ambush against it and knock the thing out of commision, along with it’s infantry support which would bring the numbers in the outpost itself down significantly. Then, our combined forces could start picking off soldiers outside of their base, assuming they don’t all fall back immediately after the APC is destroyed; that wouldn’t be an issue if none of the soldiers escorting the APC had time to radio for reinforcements or notify the outpost of what had happened, but that’s not likely.”

“My current plan with NPA charlie is to launch two seperate assaults. One that would act as a feint, with about twenty of my troops and the seven of your’s. Then, once they’ve got the attention of the soldiers within the outpost, a second assault of thirty-four of my men and eight of your’s, including the rocketeers, will surprise them from behind. Then, the forces will slowly combine and surround the outpost, leaving no avenue of escape for the soldiers and slowly closing the circle and bleeding them dry, until none of them are left. What do you think of it?”

"We can discuss more about the police outpost when the time comes," Heckby tells you.

The rebel lieutenant then rifles around in an old duffle bag that had been set nearby, and once coming back up, he lays out another map. It shows the general area where the NPA Charlie forces are located. "The fascists should mainly be situated around the HVAC Service and Supply building, and Willy's Wheels. They might be keeping their APC in the latter, or using one of the nearby garages. We should be able to deploy from any road except the southern ones."

Mqyou8q.png

Dylan looks down at the map and takes a long, deep breath. If he had known Heckby had a map of that, he would have asked a while ago in this conversation. After a few moment long analysis of what was in front of him, Bradbury looks up at Heckby to speak, his hands folded together on the table and his face deep in thought.

“That warehouse would be a good spot for my snipers. The intersection by the Tire Recycling would be a strong point for our second attack to be launched from, due to the cars and tires that provide an abundance of cover there. The Auto Repair Shop, if not occupied by soldiers or after it was cleared of them, would be solid to put some troops into due to it’s large size - if there were only a few gunners in there and they kept on the move, they’d be hard to pinpoint and take out. The rubble to the west of the outpost could be where our feint occurs from,” Dylan brainstorms.

“Do you know anything about the fortifications there? Any weaknesses, chinks in their armor so to speak? Have they got any big guns I don’t know about besides that APC? What level of experience in combat do the troops in the outpost have, and are there any high ranking notable soldiers in there that you know of? This is what my scouts are looking for, but if you’ve got that kind of knowledge already we might as well share.”

“Oh, and, can I borrow this map? I figure you won’t need it anymore if our attack is successful, and it will help me plan for the move against ‘em.”

Last edited:
"That sounds good, though they might have set up sandbags by the rubble you're pointing to- I think I heard that last from my scouts. You may have to use the sides of the collapsed buildings for cover, or the old cars by the repair shop," Heckby suggests.

He shrugs. "I don't think the NPA officer in charge is particularly notable. We don't really know how seasoned the enemy troops are, but if they've been involved in extensive urban combat operations for months on end, you can bet that they're reasonably experienced. However, so have we, so they should prove to be an even match. They likely possess at least one or two medium machine guns, and maybe a few light ones. I'm not sure of any weaknesses, though the HVAC building looks a bit large to effectively defend," he points out.

When you request to take the map, Heckby nods. "Take it, I have a few copies printed," he says, allowing you to take whatever copies you need of the tac-maps he has presented you so far. Well, Heckby's group has a printer, it seems. He must have it hooked up to the generator or something.

Bradbury smiles at Heckby's offer for him to take a map of the police station as well as gubernatorial outpost, and takes both for use back at his home, as well borrowing some kind of writing utensil and writing the exact location of the police station in the upper margin of the map, so Kauzlak could add it to the tac map they have at home of the whole city when Dylan and his delegates eventually come back.

"Depending on what my scouts tell me, I can adapt my plan," Bradbury says, however he feels confident that he will be able to win this fight. "With your and my forces combined, near seventy rebels will descend upon Charlie. And that doesn't mention any support that comes from the other rebel group in the Mixed District; my group calls them Bravo Reb. I have diplomats there now, negotiating about the Charlie assault; do you know who runs the show over there?"

"Also, one more question. What would it mean for me and my people if we joined the Allied Reform Front, if such a thing is even possible?"

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back