• If your recruitment thread involves completely going off site with your partner(s) then it belongs in the Off-Site Ad Area.
  • This area of the site is governed by the official Recruitment rules. Whether you are looking for players or looking for a roleplay, we recommend you read them and familiarize your self with them. Read the Recruitment Rules Here.

Fantasy Outbreak - Vampirism (Rough Idea)

Sicarius

Shadow Prince
Supporter
TLDR: Hopefully this isn't too convoluted of an explanation, and that it mostly makes sense! To summarize, I want to create an RPG set in a fantasy world where vampirism is first discovered through an outbreak, and there's a worldwide race between either finding a cure or wiping them out completely; with both society and vampires having their own factions that experience infighting and discourse. I feel like this is a perfect setting for great drama, fun writing, and some pretty engaging romance arcs haha!

Hey all,

So I have a rough idea of something that I thought would be a pretty cool concept to play around with. I haven't actually even decided on a name for the RP yet, and if I get enough interest for it I'll begin working on the lore.

So first off, the setting will be your standard fantasy setting: home to various species/races that are pretty typical in most fantasy RPG's (though I'm open to anything that's novel as long as it isn't game breaking). I want to have different regions with different biomes, as well as some unique traits to each; such as one region dominated primarily by steampunk technology innovation as an example. However, majority of the world will be classic fantasy and medieval-esque with its culture, architecture, and primitive technology (most using melee weapons and/or magic and archery). As mentioned previously though, I do want to have an aspect of some beginning developments of steam punk technology in some regions.

As far as the premise goes, the main idea is that a century or so before the time where our RP starts off, there was a discovery of some sort of ancient artifact (like I said, details will come later) that later caused a world-wide outbreak of vampirism. This will be the first instance of how vampires came to be (and of course traditional rules on how more are created and killed will follow), as vampires before then did not exist. Of course, the outbreak and the effects of being a vampire severely damaged the fabric of society, and the history of life itself.

This leads to a story where it's a normal society against vampires; hunting them down while researching ways to either find a cure or ways to completely wipe them out. There will also be several factions of vampires: a faction that is essentially ninja assassin vampires (cause isn't that cool as hell?), mage vampires, steam punk vampires, and defected vampires (vampires who still try to fit in society and have pledged themselves to help find a cure; generally pacifists). Each of these factions will have their own beliefs/ideologies and goals on what they choose to use their vampirism for. In another words, there will even be infighting among the vampires as each faction has conflicting goals of interest in what they plan to do with the world or their philosophies/morals. There will also be factions among society with those who aren't vampires. Obviously, people will have a tendency to be divided on the matter and how things should be handled. More than likely, there will be factions such as a military faction, scientist/researchers faction, engineering faction (for steampunk innovations), mage faction (cause come on, we need a mages guild), adventurer faction, and any other typical fantasy/isekai faction. These non vampire factions will not only play a normal role in society in a fantasy setting, but will also be at odds/will fight against the vampire factions.

If you have any ideas and want to possibly contribute to the lore as I write it, please feel free to message me!

Edit: As far as writing quality goes, I'll be fairly lenient; as I want this to be pretty accessible. However, I do expect for people to proofread and offer at bare minimum a paragraph per post. While I welcome new writers/casual posters, I do want to engage with people who consider themselves to be more detailed writers. It is my intent that we have a good balanced mix, where we will at the least have several writers who can consistently push the story and character development along!

Last edited:
-waves timidly- Hey Sic; long time no see ^^"
Really awesome concept- I'd be down to work on this with you ._.

-waves timidly- Hey Sic; long time no see ^^"
Really awesome concept- I'd be down to work on this with you ._.
Hey! It's been a while! (2 years, which is hard to believe). I'm glad you're interested! If you have any initial thoughts/ideas that you would like to implement story/lore wise just let me know!

Yeah time flies when your life's a mess xD
And with the factions I could see the ninja vampires being the extremists wanting to wipe out the human race, mage and steampunk both wanting to cohabitate but disagreeing on how to do it (science vs. magic), and then like you said the pacifists just trying to blend in while looking for a cure.
With so many factions though it feels like it might get a little problematically chaotic to have races other than human and vampire? All the races + medieval fantasy + the different biomes + the different factions... It's kind of a lot, no? ^^"

Yeah time flies when your life's a mess xD
And with the factions I could see the ninja vampires being the extremists wanting to wipe out the human race, mage and steampunk both wanting to cohabitate but disagreeing on how to do it (science vs. magic), and then like you said the pacifists just trying to blend in while looking for a cure.
With so many factions though it feels like it might get a little problematically chaotic to have races other than human and vampire? All the races + medieval fantasy + the different biomes + the different factions... It's kind of a lot, no? ^^"
I feel that about the life part; lot has happened in recent years for me as well lol. Yeah that's a great idea, I like the science vs. magic thing, which is also what I was leaning towards; those developing steampunk technology as an alternative to magic.

It's definitely a lot, but my goal is to have a deep, well fleshed out world that reflects a D&D/Elder Scrolls level of world building. Having a mix of races, classes, and locations gives opportunity for intricate storytelling, and can help to offer some nuance to what would otherwise be simplistic and cliche vampires haha. It would require a bit of work on my end, but thankfully there's a lot of source material to reference as a base IMO. Essentially, I would love for this to be my dream video game turned into an RP format haha!

It kinda feels like the classic fantasy story setup mushed together with the classic modern vampire story setup- not too sure the two really go together, but it's definitely intriguing. I'd be more worried about the balance of themes than anything else.

It kinda feels like the classic fantasy story setup mushed together with the classic modern vampire story setup- not too sure the two really go together, but it's definitely intriguing. I'd be more worried about the balance of themes than anything else.
I take it you are unfamiliar with Elder Scrolls? This wouldn't be modern vampires, but rather the origin of vampirism. Elders Scrolls (and specifically Skyrim) is in a fantasy setting and implements ancient vampires into the story and gameplay. It's pretty seamless, as the vampiric powers are darker variants of typical magic; and most still also rely on some practical means such as melee weapons. The Witcher series is another good example of how a fantasy setting can handle vampirism. If you are unfamiliar with either, I would highly recommend looking into it! It's usually a pretty common theme within a fantasy world, I am just making it the central event of the timeline.

Here's a few examples of the aesthetic for both games:

Skyrim
1664165315995.png

The Witcher 3

1664165340114.png

Hm. I was not aware that both those franchises had vampires in them. I guess I just generally like to keep things fairly simple, but you can definitely picture such a setting more clearly than I can. Kinda reminds me of Zacks old RP a little.

Hm. I was not aware that both those franchises had vampires in them. I guess I just generally like to keep things fairly simple, but you can definitely picture such a setting more clearly than I can. Kinda reminds me of Zacks old RP a little.
No worries! Hopefully you are still interested. I have refrained from fleshing anything out yet, as I did not want to waste time if no one was interested. But if it garners more interest, I will start writing it all out! I already have ideas in my head, so I have a general direction of where I want to go with most. Though like I said, if it gains interest, I will work on detailing out the lore. Thankfully, there's plenty of reference material to use, so if I run into a writer's block, I will always have a baseline.

Hah, well you know first-hand how many different characters I'm up for playing in a single RP; especially in one with so many options, so hopefully my interest counts for something ;P
While you flesh out the lore I'll be needing to teach myself how to code in BBCode, since it's two years later and divs are still gone </3

Hah, well you know first-hand how many different characters I'm up for playing in a single RP; especially in one with so many options, so hopefully my interest counts for something ;P
While you flesh out the lore I'll be needing to teach myself how to code in BBCode, since it's two years later and divs are still gone </3
BBCode is definitely not as it once was, which is upsetting to say the least. Though I understand having to make cuts since this site is ran as a non-profit and free-to-use. I've honestly used some of the templates that have been provided by the talented BBCoders who still utilize the site, but everything to my understanding is far more simplified.

Your interest means a lot! You're a talented writer, and I really enjoyed the Syndicate RP - was hoping it would flourish :closedeyescryingfrown: . I also think you would be a valuable resource for running main plot ideas and vetting world building concepts.

Yeah no kidding. When it first went away they said they were going to bring it back and now that looks like it's not going to happen at all which I honestly don't understand :/
Templates are fine except that I'm pretty particular about what I want my codes to look like, both skeleton-wise and on the page, so that generally doesn't work for me.
And yeah I just invested so much time into becoming half-decent in the old system, and now I have to start back at square one with everything, which totally sucks. Not to mention like you said this system is jankier and way more basic, so there are a bunch of things you can't do or have to learn weird janky workarounds to be able to do x.x

Anyway thanks- I liked that RP a lot too; maybe someday I'll be able to go back and revive old projects, after I've figured out the technical side of things and carved out the time. But I'd be happy to help out with world-building and plot-building while things are in process~

Yeah no kidding. When it first went away they said they were going to bring it back and now that looks like it's not going to happen at all which I honestly don't understand :/
Templates are fine except that I'm pretty particular about what I want my codes to look like, both skeleton-wise and on the page, so that generally doesn't work for me.
And yeah I just invested so much time into becoming half-decent in the old system, and now I have to start back at square one with everything, which totally sucks. Not to mention like you said this system is jankier and way more basic, so there are a bunch of things you can't do or have to learn weird janky workarounds to be able to do x.x

Anyway thanks- I liked that RP a lot too; maybe someday I'll be able to go back and revive old projects, after I've figured out the technical side of things and carved out the time. But I'd be happy to help out with world-building and plot-building while things are in process~
Perfect! And yeah it's depressing. I am by no means someone who can be autonomous with BBCode, so if you ever do get to a place where you feel you are proficient with the current system, I will more than likely have you help with that if you are willing haha. I did like the BBCode you've used in the past.

Aww that's always nice to hear- my coding aesthetic is very personal and generally not the common/popular type, so it's nice to know I'm not the only one who likes it xD
And yeah I'd be happy to do the coding part when it comes around, depending on the relative timelines of 'I learn BBCode' vs. 'You flesh out this story' xD

Aww that's always nice to hear- my coding aesthetic is very personal and generally not the common/popular type, so it's nice to know I'm not the only one who likes it xD
And yeah I'd be happy to do the coding part when it comes around, depending on the relative timelines of 'I learn BBCode' vs. 'You flesh out this story' xD
Well depending on how slowly/quickly this garners interest, I think you have ample time hahaha

Haha well once I get some basic coding issues off my plate maybe I can do some recruiting ;P

Mkay I will definitely let you know if/when I reach out to some people. Just don't put too much faith in me at the outset- things are still a mess for me right now and I have no way of knowing exactly how they'll develop over the course of the semester ^^"

Ooooh...I'm verrry intrigued. I found myself nodding along in agreement when you mentioned The Elder Scrolls and the Witcher franchises. They both did an amazing job of utliizing the vampire tropes in a believable and seamless way. This could be amazing good fun.

Ooooh...I'm verrry intrigued. I found myself nodding along in agreement when you mentioned The Elder Scrolls and the Witcher franchises. They both did an amazing job of utliizing the vampire tropes in a believable and seamless way. This could be amazing good fun.
Right?? I feel like fantasy/medieval vampires are not explored enough! And to me it's perfect, because there's all kinds of mythical creatures in traditional fantasy settings, so Werewolves and Vampires fit right in.

Same. I especially loved the different varieties in the Witcher games. 👍

I'm starting to worry I won't know what to do in this RP if I'm the only one who's never played the Witcher or Elder Scrolls games :/

Users who are viewing this thread

Back