Viewpoint Out Of Character, where do you go? (poll within!)

What's your preference for OOC discussion?

• I like to have OOC discussion within the IC thread

Votes: 1 2.4%
  • I like to have OOC discussion in its own thread on RPN

Votes: 21 50.0%
  • I like to have OOC discussion off-site (e.g Discord)

Votes: 24 57.1%
  • I do not like OOC discussion, just roleplaying for me!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I like an option that isn't represented here (Tell me!)

Votes: 4 9.5%
  • I don't have any preference

Votes: 2 4.8%
  • FangS31 is very cool and epic

Votes: 5 11.9%

• Total voters

WhiskeyMarten

I am FangS31
Roleplay Availability
Roleplay Type(s)
With most roleplays there will be Out Of Character (OOC) chatting, but there's a few ways to go about this.

The most basic form would be doing it within the In-Character (IC) thread, most common in my experience in shorter roleplays, like.

"Fang totally beat up all those people.
(How's everyone doing?)"

This is how me and my friends would do it when we were younger, though I don't like that nowadays and would never do it. I'd say it's best used for short notes related to the post, rather than any general conversation.

One that is pretty common on here is the OOC thread made alongside the IC thread, I can't give an example but I'm guessing everyone knows what a thread is. This is fine, but definitely not my preference for casual discussion. I prefer it for slower paced conversation as the thread fills quickly otherwise.

My preferred method of OOC communication is Discord, though other offsite social medias are comparable here. I like the versatility where you can have channels for important messages, and general channels for faster paced discussion. I think its best for larger roleplays that require more organization, but I'd say it works for any rp. The obvious downside is that its off-site and thus not accessible for everyone.

Let me know what you think about various methods of ooc discussion, vote in the poll if you'd like, and tell me if I missed anything important!
(btw, I don't do 1x1 rps, but feel free to tell me how you talk to your 1x1 partners if what I've said doesn't apply!)

I usually use discord for group RPs and PMs for 1x1. I think there are a valid reasons to use an OOC thread/PMs over a dedicated discord server but I like having a hub with different text channels for plotting, edits, and lore. It prevents the need to make too many OOC threads on RPN.

In my experience, Discord OOCC tends to get muddied up with non-rp things like meme-ing by the other members. And then RP discussions start to take a backseat. So I tend to not bother joining OOCC if they go to Discord. If the RP is already hosted on Discord, well... it can't be helped. But if the RP is on the site, i feel it's best to also have the OOCC on site.

Honestly? My experience has been that Discord tends to produce, well, discord between players more often than an OOC thread, but in fairness, I think a lot of that is because more chatter happens, which naturally just kinda increases the opportunity for conflict to arise, or for insecurity/envy to take root.

That and all the chatter can be kinda hard to keep up with, especially if there are a lot of members.

All that said, I prefer Discord for small groups. OOC chatter does seem to improve longevity, and people seem to be naturally chattier on Discord than inside an OOC thread. And it's especially great for system games, so that the DM can see questions sooner and keep things moving.

But when there are more than like 10 people in a group, I kinda dislike being on Discord. If I mute a server, then I see nothing and am prone to forgetting about it, but if I don't, then my phone annoys me by going off every few minutes, lol. So I kinda prefer an OOC thread for them.

But when there are more than like 10 people in a group, I kinda dislike being on Discord. If I mute a server, then I see nothing and am prone to forgetting about it, but if I don't, then my phone annoys me by going off every few minutes, lol. So I kinda prefer an OOC thread for them.
yeah, i tend to mute all the extra channels when I have joined Discord groups. And if the OOC chat for RP gets to be full of chatter that has little to nothing to do with the RP, I mute that too.

yeah, i tend to mute all the extra channels when I have joined Discord groups. And if the OOC chat for RP gets to be full of chatter that has little to nothing to do with the RP, I mute that too.
Servers do kinda become self-defeating in that way unless a DM lucks out and gets all Chatty Cathys and is one themselves.

By far my favorite is through discord nowadays. It's very much more fluent and easier to get updates, plus discord has a number of tools that easier to use because, well, it's a platform designed for chatting. It's especially helpful when trying to do something with D&D because of discord bots, and I've noticed that people seem to talk a lot more in discord than in a regular OOC thread, probably because of it being easier.

That being said, I can also accept an OOC thread, not my favorite, but certainly preferable to no OOC or even a PM-based OOC.

I prefer OOC thread on RPN. Discord OOC can be nice but sometimes when everyone got super hyped I can wake up to hundreds of discussion which I might need to scroll. Also when I get busy or simply not in the mood Discord time is the first one to get axed, meanwhile I always log in to RPN even if I'm just lurking.

I prefer OOC thread on RPN. Discord OOC can be nice but sometimes when everyone got super hyped I can wake up to hundreds of discussion which I might need to scroll. Also when I get busy or simply not in the mood Discord time is the first one to get axed, meanwhile I always log in to RPN even if I'm just lurking.

To be fair, I have woken up to dozens of pages of OOC discussion in the past in an RPN thread.

All of my on-site RP is done over the PM system (at least my 1x1's, which is typically what I participate in). There's always two threads. One for the RP itself and another for OOC discussion.

I highly prefer PMs for OOC discussion whether it’s 1x1 or group. Discord can easily become a chaotic nightmare group wise for someone that lives a slower paced lifestyle. If the person is 20+ and we’ve been RPing for a while I’ll move the chat to discord on request if it’s a 1x1.

IC and OOC are always two separate PMs on the site.
I pretty much never go on Discord for rp or ooc, unless it's with already established rp partners that are more like friends already.
That's about 1x1 because I only do that.

I avoid group rp in any form anyway, but I would still prefer OOC on the site in separate thread/PM if I ever joined a group.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back