• If your recruitment thread involves completely going off site with your partner(s) then it belongs in the Off-Site Ad Area.
  • This area of the site is governed by the official Recruitment rules. Whether you are looking for players or looking for a roleplay, we recommend you read them and familiarize your self with them. Read the Recruitment Rules Here.

drop_dead

Our Dystopia

Imagine: the world is much as it was before. Bustling towns and cities, people out shopping and socializing, working to support their families and their territories. That’s what they call them now as a whole, “territories”. There are quite a few out there, scattered across the lands. The leaders of the past recognized the ultimate threat to civilization: a lack of resources. Mandates were put into place, huge walls were erected around already existing cities and suburbs, and the world managed to carry on. What we once new as countries has all but dissolved. We still have elected government officials for our territories, who work with and communicate with other LoTs (Leaders of Territories) to help ensure trade and public order. It’s basically the same from the past, as far as I can tell from the history books. The only thing is, you are not allowed to travel outside of Territories leisurely…for your safety, of course. And who would want to? We have everything we could ever possibly need.

Setting

We will all be starting off in the Territory named Chanderlin. It’s a large area, where the city size is about half of what modern-day NYC would be. Surrounding the city area are the ‘burbs’, but this is where farming/ranching takes place. Everyone lives in the city, except the wealthiest/government officials of the town. They have their own homes near the Burbs, or live in the top most suites of the skyscrapers. Most everyone, however, lives in skyscraper apartments that average about 600 square feet. No household is allowed to have more than 2 children.

Lastly, surrounding the whole territory is an immensely tall and expansive wall. Fashioned after the great wall of China, the wall has a similar walkway all the way around on the top. There are garrison posts that are always manned, and in addition there is barbed wire all around the bottom and very top. There are spot lights at every garrison, along with heavily armed men. There are only 2 entrances/exits to the territory, each heavily guarded,, on the northern and southern parts of the wall. Nobody comes in or goes out without explicit permission, which is hard to come by.

Rules

No god-modding: we all know what this is, just don’t do it. This includes controlling another character's actions/responses. Stick to your character, and yours alone.

Be active: I -totally- understand that people have lives and they can get crazy. Been there, doing that lol. However! I do expect some sort of commitment from those who wish to join. Daily posts are always ideal, however, no more than 3 days without posting will be permissible. I like to keep my RPGs moving. I’m pretty easy going, if you have something come up please let me know! I don’t need details, but if you will be gone longer than 3 days I will need a heads up so that I may continue the story while keeping your character in mind. I reserve the right to take control of your character under these circumstance or if you are going to be absent for longer than 3 days. I will do my absolute best to stay true to your character (which is why a detailed CS is super important). If you are absent for more than 2 weeks with no word I will write your character off. No hard feelings, but that’s how it will be.

Be respectful: We aren’t children here, we know what being nice means. I’ve been on writing sites where pretentious assholes think because they can articulate themselves better than others through writing that it warrants them a superior being. Don’t be like that. If anyone has any issue with another player, I encourage you to DM me directly so that I may try to resolve the issue.

No explicit sex: Yes, there will be sexual references in this RPG. Romances are quite possible. However, this is not erotica material. Keep it relevant, keep it classy. No explicit detailed sexual encounters. You may imply it. Use your better judgment, and if you start approaching erotica territory I’ll throw some warnings out there and ask you to stop. If it continues, I’ll write ya off. I said what I said!

Quality/quantity: I love detail. I love length. I don’t love long-winded writers. Please, don’t give me huge amounts of fluff. Don't be a Dickens, nobody is getting paid by the word here. I do ask for a minimum of 2 paragraphs per post. I guess I’ll say it... paragraphs usually consist of 3-5 sentences. So we are all on the same page here and there’s no confusion. No one-liners. No chat speak. Full, complete sentences with mostly decent grammar. I am a self-proclaimed comma whore. I put commas effing EVERYWHERE where they aren’t always necessary, so I’m not perfect. But just do your best, ya know? If your writing is problematic enough that I feel like it will detract from the story, I will in the most polite way ask that you look elsewhere for an RPG to join. Again, no hard feelings, but I do have certain standards that need to be met for this to flow smoothly.

Enjoy it!: This isn’t meant to feel like work or an assignment. This is purely for the love of writing, so please don’t stress out and have fun with it! If you are struggling in any way with a writer’s block or staying active…let me know! I’m no expert but I would be happy to hear you out and help in any way I can. I can provide ideas and suggestions which you can choose to take or not, no offense will be taken.

Character Sheet

Name: (self explanatory)

Age: (16+, you can be as old as you like! If you want to play a child, I would consider it if you have an idea I would be willing to work with. Otherwise I generally don't like having players play as children.)

Appearance: (no pictures, only writing please)

Personality: (self explanatory)

Background: (Give me some background! What do you do in the Territory? What role do you serve? Do you have a job? Are you a guard, a retail worker, a farmer? Who do you live with currently? Anything in your family history you want everyone else to know? If you have any specifics you want to include but aren’t sure of how it would work in the story, let me know! I’ll help ya and guide you, clarify things as needed. I’m down for collaboration)

Items: (An extra category! If your character was on a deserted island and could only have 3 things to help them survive…what would they bring? Don’t ask me why…just tell me dammit!)

Again, I reiterate, this RPG is a WIP. I don't have -everything- fleshed out, but that's the fun of it all, to see where the story leads us! As previously mentioned (somewhere, lol), I do have quite a few big events already planned out. I'm not kidding when I say this dream was INSANE. On that note...buckle up folks! It's gonna be a bumpy ride.

1. name raven
    [*]age 23
    [*]gender boy
    [*]appearance red wings red longsleeve croptop black pants with a belt that has red hanging cloth on it red demon horns red hair red eyes
    [*]calm
    [*]i was a builder i built citys and houses markets ect
    [*]family history classified
    [*]lives with nobody
    [*]my character would bring a knife lighter and tent

Last edited:
  1. name raven
    [*]age 23
    [*]gender boy
    [*]appearance red wing red longsleeve croptop black pants with a belt that has red hanging cloth on it red demon horns red hair red eyes
    [*]calm

Hiya! Super appreciate the interest. Is this a place holder, or a final draft? Either way, I'm going to ask you to follow the Character Sheet Skeleton I provided, and provide a lot more detail. If this a place holder, my apologies, in the future just make it a bit more clear.

is that better or no check it again

Unfortunately no, it's not. The skeleton I provided above is how I would like it formatted, along with the information I specifically ask for. You left quite a bit out. I'm sorry, but I don't think this rp will be a good fit for you.

Beep boop!

Name: Daina Everglow! She goes by Dai.

Appearance: She's AMAB, so she has a set of broad shoulders and a generally boxy figure. She's very underweight, with lanky limbs and slightly visible ribs. Her hair goes to just below her ears and is dyed a bright green with dark brown roots, and her eyes are naturally green.

Personality: Overall she's very overprotective of others versus herself. More often than not, she's putting on a front of being tougher and stronger and inherently more confident than she actually feels. She is not a follower but not necessarily a leader? She's just trying to get by and do what she thinks is best for the people she's close to. She doesn't believe it's healthy to be trapped in such small territories, and has developed claustrophobia over the years. One thing I will note is that she's very imaginative and dreams of the day she's able to be free.

Background: The third child in a household. The illegal child. Suddenly, her parents disappear, and she's stuck with two other children to take care of. The government had a hand in her parent's disappearance, but she doesn't know that despite having her suspicions. Not registered in the government's system, she can't get rations for the kids.....legally. She stole what she could manage to steal around once a week for a while. Though it did cross her mind, she's against getting herself registered. Her parents are gone, so what's the issue? She doesn't know, but she doesn't want to suddenly not be able to be there for her siblings. While she isn't the oldest in her family, she is stronger and better at going without than her two siblings. She's had a plan to escape for a while, but hasn't executed it yet because she needs to make sure her siblings are safe and secure.

Items: A supply of whatever food she could get, a water purifier, and a thick blanket. The food for.. food reasons, the water purifier so she could drink whatever water is on the island, and a blanket to keep her arm in the winter/keep her shaded in the summer (she could hang it from a tree and whatnot).

Feel free to let me know if anything needs to be changed/elaborated on!

Last edited:
Some more background detail about Chanderlin, territories, and life within the walls:

The territories were formed from previously existing cities. In essence, 100 years ago the governments of the past knew that the only way to sustain human life was by cutting it down. They did the people dirty in the past, but this is a detail not mentioned to new generations. Very few people know the actual truth, as it's not recorded anywhere (that people know of). I'm ok with ya'll knowing in a 'meta' sense that essentially they gave very little warning on when they were going to seal the gates, so those that could make into the main city area after a very short notice, and those already living there, stayed. The rest were shut out. That's one way to size down a population, but for obvious reasons isn't shared with the general public.

Ok so back on track, the territories are cities from the past coast to coast (NYC, Philly, Dallas, San Diego, etc.) that were "repurposed". About half of the skyscrapers and buildings towards the central parts of the territories were kept for living/businesses, and the other half surrounding the 'city' were torn down to make space/land for farming/cattle. That being said, it's unrealistic for a territory to have -every- resource they need (this is a dystopia!), so trade is very common amongst other territories.

The territory is solely run off of solar power. Vehicles are almost non existent, and are only used by government officials. Everyone else gets around by either foot or bicycle, or carriages on wheels pulled by bicycles.

Every character would have been born and raised within the walls, without having ever been outside of them. If you have an idea revolving a character having been past the wall, let me know. However, it has to be compelling and deemed necessary to the character development...and -make sense-. There is no sneaking past the walls, or getting through without permission.

Name: Anna Clark

Appearance: Standing at 5’7’’, Anna is one of the taller women in society. She has an athletic build, broad shoulders and muscular thighs. It’s nothing she’s particularly self-conscience about, but she doesn’t give much merit to appearances anyways. Often times she wears her medium length, wavy, platinum blonde hair up in a bun of sorts, with strands haphazardly framing her face. Just above her right eyebrow is a prominent, unseemly scar that spans from the start of her eyebrow up towards her scalp. One would think she was either sliced open or experienced some terrible accident from first looking at her. Her smile is a bit crooked, and she awkwardly only has one dimple. She wears a hoop in her nose and has porcelain skin that has jailhouse looking tattoos stamped on her with no apparent rhyme or reason. Fashion is not her thing, and she’s usually almost always in her work clothes. Stretchy, durable black or brown pants, with leather patches sewn over the knees and on each side of her hips. Usually she’s in a t-shirt that she tucks into the front of her pants loosely, with a leather jacket thrown over. Around her neck hangs a necklace with a medium-sized, crystal ball on the end. It’s a unique necklace that utilizes solar energy. It stores the energy when there is sun, but won’t be used until she clicks a little button on the side, which lights up the crystal and creates an added measure of safety when working at night (especially when the territory has minimal power due to weather). Strapped onto her is a knife holster, where she keeps a 6inch pocket knife on her at all times. If one looks close enough, they’ll notice Anna has basically no fingernails. She is constantly chewing them, not hiding her anxious ways well, but also not trying to. Often times while waiting for a customer, she can be seen leaning against her bike carriage chewing her nails and watching people with darting eyes.

Personality: Anna may look a bit odd and different to many, a little rough around the edges, but she’s actually quite a pleasant young lady. Her positivity can be infectious, her optimism naïve. Despite the life she’s lived within the walls, she’s been quite content. She loves the hustle and bustle of the city, all the noises and lights (when they have them), and has a genuine love for what she does. It’s not often someone sees her upset, but when she is it’s usually with just cause. A client trying to take advantage and not pay up, that’ll set her off alright. And she has the body and knife to defend herself if needed.

Background: Anna lives with a roommate in one of the 600sq ft apartments on the 11th (of 30) floor. The space is tiny, but everyone is accustomed to basically living on top of each other. Her roommate gets the single bedroom, while she sleeps on a pull out couch in the living room. She’s not one to have romantic partners often, it’s too much trouble based on her experiences and most of the people in town find her odd anyways. She has a friend, Bobby, that has been able to offer her companionship over the years as they both sort of need it…but it’s complicated. He pines for her, she wants nothing to do with a relationship. She is the queen of friend-zoning, mostly due to fear and anxiety.

Her job keeps her busy, keeps her moving. Starting from mid afternoon to late at night she rides around in on a bicycle that has a riding carriage attached to it. She is, in essence, a taxi driver, and rides around all day long finding clients to transport all over the territory. Her knowledge of the layout of the territory is mostly restricted to the city, since taking people to the Burbs is just too far of a bike ride while shlepping people around. But she hustles, and she does quite well for herself. Her mother and father live in a different building, but a few blocks over. They are her life, and she works as hard as she does because her father no longer can due to illness, and her mother only does part-time work as a seamstress out of their home. Anna is a provider, a care giver, and that’s been her whole life. She went to school, up until her 16th year, but when her father fell ill she had to give it up and start working. It was a hard life, a lot of work, but over the years she’s made a name for herself, has been able to move out and live on her own, and still be able to give her parents a comfortable life. They don’t have much, but they have enough.

Items: the three items Anna would most likely have on her if stranded on an island to survive would be 1. Fire starter kit 2. A tent and 3. A cooking pot

Users who are viewing this thread

Back