• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Realistic or Modern [OSV] "Our Small Victory"

Talk about it over breakfast.
I was already pretty close to choosing this option, but guess who made it easier for me? Yep, that's right.
Talking about anything over breakfast has always been a classic anyways, so let's go for it.

Talk about it over breakfast

"Our Small Victory"

Eryn yawned, head in his hands while sitting at the table with everyone else. His dad was busy reparing the holes in the walls from last night. He found it useful to be able to just eat while listening to Sydney doing all the thinking for him. He was still sore from both the battle against Stan and last night's battle.
"So Stan was apparantly mind controlled by an implant bearing Angel's symbol."
"Yup."
"And he was using guns bearing the same symbol."
"Yup."
"And Predator-01, also having a device with that symbol inside them, has been trying to exterminate super-powered individuals that made themselves known."
"Yup."
"And Angel is responsible for the deaths of numerous heroes, and left after killing most of the ones that tried to attack it."
"It feels like there's a conclusion to be made, but I've barely registered what any of those sentences mean," Robin chimed in.
Sydney sighed, looking to Eryn. He took a long sip of orange juice and placed the empty glass down.

"So they all want us dead, presumably all on Angel's behalf. Or, y'know, whoever controls them. Y'know, the voice we kept hearing from Sentinels and Predator."
Sydney almost seemed to flinch at the mention of the Sentinels. He had to remember that everybody who was there would have experienced their own nightmare, be it an actual dream or not. Every hero worth their salt had their own story of Angel's Massacre.
"So, for simplicity, I say we call them 'Angel Gang' until we find a more suitable name."
"Angel Gang?"
"Sounds great!"
"But if we're going to do anything about this, we're going to need to get some more intel. We can't exactly just find Angel Gang and beat them up, even if we were strong enough to do that."
"And as it happens, everybody that COULD have beaten Angel are now all either dead or in hiding."
"All we really have with us is the energy gun, which is out of power. A shame, really, since it's probably one of the main reasons we're alive right now. The police probably seized some extra batteries from the thugs yesterday, but those might be hard to get."
"I don't really feel like repeating last night's incident just to try and interrogate the scary red thing."
"Ooh, wait!"
They turned to Sydney, who had suddenly become excited.
"Professor Harley can probably reverse engineer that thing!"
"Who?"
"The guy who built Zenmo?"
"Yeah! He's running a workshop to help heroes with tech related issues. Secret for obvious reasons of the not-wanting-to-dissapear kind, so we're only supposed to tell trusted heroes about it through word of mouth and stuff. It's where I got my sword. He can probably hook you up with some new gear too! Oh man, I hope he's got some upgrades for me~"
"...and reverse engineer the gun, right?"
"Right, right, of course~"
It kind of felt like she was just wanted an excuse to go and upgrade her sword, but it didn't seem like such a bad idea either. Sydney probably wasn't going to let him refuse either.

What do?

Go to the workshop right now.
Finish your food first.

Make a sword pun before agreeing to go.
Try and get spare batteries from the police.

Finish your food first.
Hang on, what was that about food? A good superhero never leaves before cleaning their plate.

Let's take a moment and savor the meal, because we probably won't have any more for quite a while.

Finish your food first.

"Our Small Victory"

Eryn agreed to go, but also wanted to finish eating first. The rest of breakfast felt pretty awkward now, and Sydney looked like she wanted to get to the workshop as soon as possible. During this time, Robin had also asked to tag along to see if he could get any gear that'd help him reach at least some level of combat capability. It seemed reasonable, so Eryn agreed to that too. When they finally left, Sydney's eyes looked dead inside, as if she had been waiting an eternity despite only 15 minutes passing.

Sydney had suggested that they walk out in the open in full costume, to show that they hadn't disappeared. It made sense, since by drawing attention to themselves yesterday, they had literally marked themselves for death according to the public. She insisted that displaying their nigh impossible survival for everyone to see would start to give them hope. It would apparently be good for popularity too, since people were frequently asking for pictures and autographs while they walked. Robin had agreed to follow at a distance as he didn't have a costume yet, and didn't want his real identity associated with them.

The destination was in a subway that had been abandoned due to damage from a collapsing ceiling when Angel attacked the surface. The city's resources had been focused on rehousing, building repairs on the surface, memorials etc. and apparently this single station wasn't as important. The location seemed sketchy, but he trusted her. He couldn't judge until he saw for himself, right? After all, if Sydney managed to get such a ridiculously high tech sword from there, they had to be legit. And if this really was the same Professor Harley that built Zenmo, they'd be going to the best roboticist and software engineer in the city.

Thinking of Sydney's sword, he began feeling several questions pop up in his head. Why she was so obsessed with upgrades, how the Sentinel shattered the old one, how her fight with them actually went, that kind of stuff. This was probably as good a time as any to ask.

Conversation?

Ask about why she wants upgrades so badly if this one is already so cool.
Don't ask anything, just head to the workshop.

Ask about her general sword obsession.
Ask about her battle against the Sentinel.

It’ll give us intel for when we fight the sentinel for real.

A fair point. Also she might reveal the answers to the other questions by answering.

>>Ask about her general sword obsession.

I feel like asking about the battle with the sentinel might get us a non-informative answer like "Oh, it went fine, don't worry about it". The sword obsession might actually have a reason behind it that's important- be it a practical reason such as them being especially effective at something, or a personal reason that could give us more insight on the character to better deal with them in the future.

I love swords! But when it comes to practical reasons for picking this option, I got none. Hopefully she'll get a cool sword upgrade if she wants one so badly.

Looking to make some small talk? No problem! Let's have an interview with Sydney.
Microphones. Cameras. Action.

Ask about why she wants upgrades so badly if this one is already so cool.

I always feel awkward when I come in late with an option nobody voted for but oh well. I kinda wanna know what upgrades she's thinking about, plus if she's motivated to upgrade because of the predator-01 battle then maybe that could naturally lead into talking about the sentinel battle too.

Ask about her general sword obsession

"Our Small Victory"

"So, what's with you and swords anyway?"
"Hm?"
"Well, you know...you seem to have a thing for them."
"Well what's not to love about them? They're deadly, nimble, shiny, cool looking, all that stuff." He noticed that instead of sounding enthusiastic, she sounded tired, and was fidgeting with her mask as she walked.

"Ok, but everybody knows that. What made you specifically start to use them so heavily?"

"I was already a fencer, so it seemed like a reasonable weapon choice. My shields aren't exactly suited to offense, so I kept a sword with me for emergencies." Despite her wearing a mask, she turned her head away slightly as if trying to avoid eye contact. "That's probably not what you meant..." she mumbled afterwards. She straightened up, yet also tensed up.

"Back during Angel's massacre, my bubble shields were broken for the first time. First by Angel's beam attacks and then by a Sentinel. I'd never considered the possibility of it happening, and the people I was protecting ended up dead because of it. I couldn't do anything against a Sentinel in that fight, after it shattered my first sword, and relied upon other heroes to bail me out."

She let out a soft sigh, and her voice seemed to be getting quieter and quieter. "And then, last night, my bubble shield was broken by the Predator. You're only still here with me because you managed to get out of the way in time. I haven't exactly been the best protector recently." She kicked away a rock that was in her way while walking, but was slowing down regardless. "So yeah, I've been focusing on swords because it's the only way I can think to protect you, and everyone else. I've been pursuing a blade that can stand up against a Sentinel, so that I can actually be useful. And now that Angel and her gang are back, I need that more than ever.."

Eryn really had no idea how to respond to all that. It was certainly more than he bargained for when asking the question. Seeing Sydney hurt was somehow more painful for him than all the injuries he had sustained in the two prior battles. They had now arrived near the entrance of the underground workshop.

Now what?

Refute her mindset and encourage her by reminding her of her past successes, including how her shields saved your life against Stan's thugs.
Enter the workshop.

Compliment her desire to continue improving herself despite initial failures, in reference to your own similar desire after Angel's massacre.
Offer to spar with her later to help you both improve at your respective skillsets.

Offer to spar with her later to help you both improve at your respective skillsets. Actions speak louder then words.

Offer to spar with her later to help you both improve at your respective skillsets.
Can't argue with that reasoning. This will surely be the best way to sharpen up for our next encounter.
So... how about it, Sydney?

Compliment her desire to continue improving herself despite initial failures, in reference to your own similar desire after Angel's massacre.
*breathes*

No judgment, just support.

Offer to spar with her later to help you both improve at your respective skillsets

"Our Small Victory"

"Well, if you want to get better at that, we should probably train together later. I've got some improving to do too."
Sydney turned her head to him slightly. He couldn't read her expression at all from behind that blank mask. Without even a mouth design like most stage masks had, the eyes felt like they could pierce right through him. Eventually she nodded to him, and walked into the subway station. Past the entrance, the path into the rest of the station was blocked off by debris. Sydney knocked on the wall, just as Robin caught up with them, who was wearing a ski mask now.

"Tax evasion!"
"What?" As he said this, one of the debris pieces dissapeared, revealed to have only been a hologram. He followed Sydney through the gap, leading into the workshop.

"Oh.."

The station was intact. Most of the debris was likely a cover up to keep the place secret. There were shelves everywhere, divided into aisles based on category, featuring various high tech tools and accessories. Literally a toy store for superheroes. There were a few people in labcoats, each seeming to supervise their own category of tools. There seemed to be around 15 superhero-looking people walking around. There was also a desk at the other end of the station, where the professor was sitting. His hair was silver and his eyes had dark bags underneath them, but he didn't look terribly old.

"Huh, there's more people here than usual. Probably because of yesterday."

Upon hearing her voice, a few of them turned their heads to her.

"Aegis is back!"
"She's alive?!"
"They didn't dissapear?"
"Who's the new guy?"

Several lines such as those could be heard from them. Eryn inferred that Sydney was well known in this place. Syndey gave them a small wave before turning to him.
"You can ask the professor at the desk about the energy gun. You can probably guess where to find me." She pointed with her thumb to the `Bladed weapons` aisle behind her and promptly zoomed off to browse it. Robin headed to the `Miscellaneous accessories` aisle.

".....Right."

After approaching the desk and explaining the situation to the professor, the man unscrewed a panel on the energy gun and took a look at its internals.

"Curious. Externally It's completely unfamiliar, but the internal systems are almost identical to the design of the energy guns that Cerberus were developing."
"Cerberus?"
"A company I used to work for. The guns were being developed for military use, but they were still in the testing phase when the company collapsed 7 years ago. Simultaneous destruction of all facilities due to an unknown cause, freaky stuff. I'm glad I quit before that.." The man shook his head, then gave Eryn a reassuring smile. "You don't have to worry about all that, though. I'll have this recreated for you in a few days. I know how useful these things were for you during your battle against Suplex Stan."
"Ah geez, you watched that--" Eryn suddenly felt the presence of a labcoated woman behind him, glancing back at her. She was using a tape measure on various parts of his torso, including arms.
"Uh..."
"We watch every superhero battle available, for the purpose of preparing custom tools for them in advance, Mr Ecto. And as yours was the first in a long time, you and Aegis have a lot of eyes on you," she said.
"Ecto, this is Ms. Lilith, our costumer. Talk to her if you have any aesthetic troubles."
"And you're in dire need of an upgrade.." she finished taking the measurements and left as quickly as she had appeared, into an unseen section of the station. Eryn made a deep sigh. He looked at his chained 8-ball, then at the aisles of possible new weapons.

Now what?
(Will not affect mindset graph)

Browse the bladed weapons aisle.
Browse the blunt weapons aisle.

Browse the ranged weapons aisle.
Browse the miscellaenous accessories aisle.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back