• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Fantasy [open] So You Want To Be A Hero?

Just give him a name, cristo, and we can move on.
We just gotta christen him.
All we're doing now is creating our character.
Name, skills, and shit like that.
I'm not even sure if I want to be involved in this, if we're all just controlling this one dude.

Countofcristo Countofcristo Perhaps you know those "Choose your own story" kind of books, where you get a choice at the end of each chapter that says "If you want to do X, continue reading on page 72. If you do Y instead, continue on page 184" and so on. Quest rps are the equivalent of that here on RPN. Only that there are multiple people who decide which choice to make.

As for the name: Alfons seems good enough. I'm terrible with names.

Well, I guess we'll go forward with the two of you, I understand if you guys feel disappointed. Maybe more people will join as we play.

1548875398219.png
This seems like a quiet little town. On the porch ahead of you are two people. The standing one is large, rather ugly, and playing with a yo-yo. The seated person smoking a pipe looks like he might be the Sheriff.

The man with the pipe greets you.

1548875566800.png

"Many monsters have been trapped here with the late snow. Between them and the brigands, we certainly could use a hero around here. I am Sheriff Schultz Meistersson. This Otto Von Goon, my assistant. Good luck in your quest."

1548875673065.png

Here are your options for interacting with everything in the world. Obviously you can walk around. You can also look at things to examine them more closely and get information; interact physically with objects (or people, if you're feeling like taking risks); talk to anyone (or anything, if you're feeling adventurous); or look at your inventory.

1548875795121.png

Here's the secondary menu. You can switch between running, walking, or sneaking at any time; try to rest or sleep; check your stats; check the time.

Of course, you don't really need to memorize the menus, just tell me what you want to do. This is just so you have a baseline idea of what's generally possible.

1548875941322.png

Here's your inventory. That bag is your money, which is currently 4 gold and 10 silver, (10 silver = 1 gold), 0.2 lbs; 5 rations, 1.5 lbs; a broadsword, 7 lbs; leather armor, 20 lbs; and a shield, 12 lbs.
You're carrying 41 lbs, and can carry 55 before it starts causing you problems. You'll be able to carry more as you get stronger.

1548876129524.png

It's currently mid-morning.

So, what'll it be, Hero? Talk to the Sheriff? Explore the town? Walk out the front gate with no knowledge and probably die?

View attachment 534027
This seems like a quiet little town. On the porch ahead of you are two people. The standing one is large, rather ugly, and playing with a yo-yo. The seated person smoking a pipe looks like he might be the Sheriff.

The man with the pipe greets you.

View attachment 534034

"Many monsters have been trapped here with the late snow. Between them and the brigands, we certainly could use a hero around here. I am Sheriff Schultz Meistersson. This Otto Von Goon, my assistant. Good luck in your quest."

View attachment 534035

Here are your options for interacting with everything in the world. Obviously you can walk around. You can also look at things to examine them more closely and get information; interact physically with objects (or people, if you're feeling like taking risks); talk to anyone (or anything, if you're feeling adventurous); or look at your inventory.

View attachment 534036

Here's the secondary menu. You can switch between running, walking, or sneaking at any time; try to rest or sleep; check your stats; check the time.

Of course, you don't really need to memorize the menus, just tell me what you want to do. This is just so you have a baseline idea of what's generally possible.

View attachment 534038

Here's your inventory. That bag is your money, which is currently 4 gold and 10 silver, (10 silver = 1 gold), 0.2 lbs; 5 rations, 1.5 lbs; a broadsword, 7 lbs; leather armor, 20 lbs; and a shield, 12 lbs.
You're carrying 41 lbs, and can carry 55 before it starts causing you problems. You'll be able to carry more as you get stronger.

View attachment 534040

It's currently mid-morning.

So, what'll it be, Hero? Talk to the Sheriff? Explore the town? Walk out the front gate with no knowledge and probably die?

Why don't you talk to the sheriff and to his pal, Otto?
Ask him about the town in general, who's in charge here, what kingdom or realm he's in, and what's this bandit problem about?
As far as I know, the neighborhood doesn't look rundown to me. It's a sight for sore eyes, I must say.
How in the world does leather armor weigh 20 pounds? Must be some heavy hell ride for leather! I'm keeping this armor forever.
And as far as I'm concerned, I'm all right with how things are going in the story.
Quest logs don't need that much people to run it, they only need a few dedicated participants to get things going.

Talking to the sheriff sounds indeed like the best course of action - ask him about problems in the neighborhood, be it those bandits or other trouble. I'd be inclined to search the town for suitable things later on, but we'd better have a general clue what we might need before doing that. And walking out of the town after we just arrived? No, thanks.

I'd also be inclined to learn more about Otto - looks like someone whose strength might be of importance later on. Ask him about his toy, perhaps - if nothing else, it seems like decent craftmanship, so knowing who crafted it might be of interest.

1548958690504.png

Otto doesn't seem to be much for conversation. He's focused on his toy.

1548958767531.png

"It took a bit of doing to teach him to bring prisoners back alive, but he hardly ever forgets, now."

You introduce yourself, and ask about the town in general.

"This town was named after the Barons of Spielburg. It used to be a lively place, before the brigands came and drove all the business away. You can find a place to stay at the Inn next door. You can learn about jobs available at the Guild Hall. If you're interested in magic, you should visit the Magic Shop, just next to the inn here. There is still plenty to see and do here in Spielburg!"

You ask about the Sheriff about the troubles he mentioned earlier.

"There's a whole band of brigands hiding out somewhere in the mountains around us. They robbed a merchant just last week. Got a fair amount of treasure, I hear. On top of that, there are the monsters that come down from the mountains every winter. They're usually gone by now, though. The Baron just doesn't have enough men to handle them. Wolfgang is the one to talk to about the monsters. He's had a lot of experience with them. You can find him at the Guild Hall, down the road to my right, here."

Well then - if the Guild Hall is where we'll find work and more details on roaming monsters, that seems to be the best choice for now. After all, we want to find something to stick that sword of ours into.

1548962730084.png1548962638160.png1548962662513.png

This Adventurer's Guild Hall reminds you of the one in your home town. The traditional moose head and other stuffed monsters (saurus, troll, gryphon, dragon, cheetaur, and the terrible antwerp) adorn the walls. You see a registration book on the table, and the bulletin board is full of job listings. The man seated near the window must be the Guild Master. He is snoring.

View attachment 534500View attachment 534498View attachment 534499

This Adventurer's Guild Hall reminds you of the one in your home town. The traditional moose head and other stuffed monsters (saurus, troll, gryphon, dragon, cheetaur, and the terrible antwerp) adorn the walls. You see a registration book on the table, and the bulletin board is full of job listings. The man seated near the window must be the Guild Master. He is snoring.

Nudge the fucker awake. Make him think the whole world's trembling for God knows what reason! Well, if that doesn't work, might as well talk to the granny beside Guild Hall. And if that doesn't work, go right back to that sleeping guy and give him a kick in the balls.

1549067692626.png

"We used to play cards here once a week as well, but there are too few adventurers in Spielburg anymore. They all died from monster or brigands, or they just got too old."

"I am Wolfgang Abenteuer, the guild master of this hall."

You ask about the problems the town is facing.

"Ja, with the Baron losing his son and daughter, Baba Yaga, all the monsters, and now the brigands, it has just been one thing after another. No brigand or monster would dare show his face here if the Baron had not angered Baba Yaga. Now it is said he goes nowhere and sees no one. That witch is the center of our problems, I think. She is a powerful Ogre. Baron von Spielburg once tried to force her to leave this valley, but she cursed him. Now the Baron has lost everything but his land, and I don't know how long he will keep that. What our valley needs is a Hero."

"Ja, the curse. Many years ago, the Baron's daughter, Elsa, was taken from him, right out of the castle. They say something flew right over the castle wall and carried her off. The search for her lasted many years, but at last everyone gave up except the Baron's jester, Yorick. He was a funny little man, but very brave. He swore he would spend his life searching for the Baron's Elsa."

What about that strange creature that hangs out with the Sheriff?

"Schultz Meistersson and I have been friends for a long time. He, too, was once a real adventurer. Now he is just the Sheriff of this town. Otto is nice, even if he is a goon. Schultz has him almost trained. A goon is a lot like an ogre, not as tough, but a little smarter. Otto and Crusher at the tavern are both goons."

What should you know about Spielburg?

"This town is small now that most people have been driven off by the brigands, and very few are willing to make the trip with the monsters lurking everywhere. This is such a pretty place, too, with the mountains, forests, and waterfalls. The mountains surrounding this valley are high enough that snow covers them all year long. The only way out of the valley is through the pass, though I hear that it is blocked by snow again. There are some nice waterfalls to the southeast of the town. They fill Mirror Lake, which is lovely, but icy cold all year round. Here in the town, we have the magic shop, the dry goods store, the tavern, the inn, and our farmer's mart."

What kinds of monsters live in the forest, exactly?

"You can see some of the types of monsters that live around here if you look at our walls. There are trolls, gryphons, cheetaurs, mantrays, and goblins wandering in the woods. I hear there are even some ogres and saurus rexes back in this valley. There was a time when Schultz and I had gotten rid of most of the monsters around here, but we are just too old for that now. If you're looking for work, you can read the bulletin board behind me. Good luck to you!"

View attachment 534951

"We used to play cards here once a week as well, but there are too few adventurers in Spielburg anymore. They all died from monster or brigands, or they just got too old."

"I am Wolfgang Abenteuer, the guild master of this hall."

You ask about the problems the town is facing.

"Ja, with the Baron losing his son and daughter, Baba Yaga, all the monsters, and now the brigands, it has just been one thing after another. No brigand or monster would dare show his face here if the Baron had not angered Baba Yaga. Now it is said he goes nowhere and sees no one. That witch is the center of our problems, I think. She is a powerful Ogre. Baron von Spielburg once tried to force her to leave this valley, but she cursed him. Now the Baron has lost everything but his land, and I don't know how long he will keep that. What our valley needs is a Hero."

"Ja, the curse. Many years ago, the Baron's daughter, Elsa, was taken from him, right out of the castle. They say something flew right over the castle wall and carried her off. The search for her lasted many years, but at last everyone gave up except the Baron's jester, Yorick. He was a funny little man, but very brave. He swore he would spend his life searching for the Baron's Elsa."

What about that strange creature that hangs out with the Sheriff?

"Schultz Meistersson and I have been friends for a long time. He, too, was once a real adventurer. Now he is just the Sheriff of this town. Otto is nice, even if he is a goon. Schultz has him almost trained. A goon is a lot like an ogre, not as tough, but a little smarter. Otto and Crusher at the tavern are both goons."

What should you know about Spielburg?

"This town is small now that most people have been driven off by the brigands, and very few are willing to make the trip with the monsters lurking everywhere. This is such a pretty place, too, with the mountains, forests, and waterfalls. The mountains surrounding this valley are high enough that snow covers them all year long. The only way out of the valley is through the pass, though I hear that it is blocked by snow again. There are some nice waterfalls to the southeast of the town. They fill Mirror Lake, which is lovely, but icy cold all year round. Here in the town, we have the magic shop, the dry goods store, the tavern, the inn, and our farmer's mart."

What kinds of monsters live in the forest, exactly?

"You can see some of the types of monsters that live around here if you look at our walls. There are trolls, gryphons, cheetaurs, mantrays, and goblins wandering in the woods. I hear there are even some ogres and saurus rexes back in this valley. There was a time when Schultz and I had gotten rid of most of the monsters around here, but we are just too old for that now. If you're looking for work, you can read the bulletin board behind me. Good luck to you!"

Oh fuck, I forgot to reply to this.
Why don't you go look at the bulletin board, pick the easiest monsters to fight first?
Before you start chopping heads and stabbing poor SOBs, maybe you should re-orient yourself with the combat system, or at least practice the fundamentals of swordfighting again.

Whoops - I bookmarked the post, and yet somehow managed to not respond, either. I agree with you, though - read through all the messages to get an overview, then pick a task that seems doable. Or multiple tasks, if available - can't hurt to have more work cut out for us.

1549381879636.png

You read each of the posters in turn.

Reward for return of lost ring. Inquire at the healer's.

Reward of 30 gold coins for the capture or death of the brigand warlock. Short, ugly, and wears brightly colored robes. Has habit of laughing constantly. Inquire at Spielburg Castle gates.

Reward of 50 gold coins for the safe return of Elsa von Spielburg. Inquire at Spielburg Castle gates.

Wanted: Brigand leader. Unknown appearance. Wears a cloak. Must provide proof of leader's identity. Reward of 60 gold coins and title of Hero of the Realm. Inquire at Spielburg Castle gates.

Notice: Spell components needed. Cash or trade for potions. Inquire at the Healer's.

Reward of 50 gold coins for information leading to the safe return of Baronet Barnard von Spielburg. Inquire at Spielburg Castle gates.

View attachment 536792

You read each of the posters in turn.

Reward for return of lost ring. Inquire at the healer's.

Reward of 30 gold coins for the capture or death of the brigand warlock. Short, ugly, and wears brightly colored robes. Has habit of laughing constantly. Inquire at Spielburg Castle gates.

Reward of 50 gold coins for the safe return of Elsa von Spielburg. Inquire at Spielburg Castle gates.

Wanted: Brigand leader. Unknown appearance. Wears a cloak. Must provide proof of leader's identity. Reward of 60 gold coins and title of Hero of the Realm. Inquire at Spielburg Castle gates.

Notice: Spell components needed. Cash or trade for potions. Inquire at the Healer's.

Reward of 50 gold coins for information leading to the safe return of Baronet Barnard von Spielburg. Inquire at Spielburg Castle gates.

All right, let's go to the healer first.
Check your cash and inventory, try to browse what the healer has for sale.
Look around town for anyone else to talk to. They may give you some advice or help you get a feel for what this place is like.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back