Not open for further replies.

kelots

Bust :(
Title: Year of Rogue Dragons
Game: DnD 5e, in the CitM discord
Player Count: 4

296647.jpg

Description:
Year of Rogue Dragons is an adventure designed for four players who take the roles of newly hatched evil chromatic dragons. The story will introduce a specific section of the Forgotten Realms along with its prominent
individuals, organizations and a segment of its history. The adventure will draw the players into a conflict between three local factions, and a mystery, which they must solve and use to their advantage in order to
eliminate every menace that threatens their life from the onset.

This adventure has some custom history, political factions, char building and backgrounds. It's got custom maps, art and unique NPC and monsters to encounter. There are 3 broad chapters for the initial module, and if we have fun, I'm more than happy to continue this into a campaign.

The_purple_caravan.jpg

Character Creation:
There's a bunch of homebrew rules on this in the module which I'll walk you through, but here is some reworded copy pasta from the module for an overview.

Players will acquire 3 levels of any chosen class during the adventure. They start without a level and gain an extra level at the end of Chapter 1. The initial module plays to level 3, and also advances from "wyrmling" to "young" dragons. The "monsters with classes" section of the DMG comes into play too to generate stats etc.

Each color of chromatic dragons has a distinctive feel to them, and each individual dragon also has a different attitude, temperament, and personality, whichever color they are. I'll be asking the team to create
unique distinguishing features for their dragon characters using the 5th edition Monster Manual’s entry on dragons as a baseline The stat block for each color of dragon in the 5th edition Monster Manual differs in value and they grow in power from white, to black, to green, to blue, to red. There’s no easy way to balance out a party of mixed dragon types and the module gives some ideas on how to do this which I'll discuss with the group.

I will probably be a bit stricter than usual on classes, but would encourage players to look on theme. E.g. if there's a UA subclasses you think really fits I'm interested. Beastmaster ranger gonna be a bit weird :)

Necromancers_villa.jpg

Playing as... well, Evil Dragons:
Dragons are powerful creatures driven by greed and a desire for fame, thinking of themselves as superior to other creatures. They are scheming, they indulge in elaborate plans to further their cause, and they have all the time they need to accomplish their goals. While Dragons are solitary creatures, this adventure utilizes an in game effect called the Rage of Dragons which creates the urge for dragons to band together

It is fair to assume that as dragons, you will fight over treasure and form a structure of dominance amidst your ranks. This is expected, they are evil dragons after all. However! This is still DnD, which is a team game, so for the sake of everyone having fun still, we'll try and keep together as a party and during character creation we'll need to try and set motivations together to find a mutual cause (as opposed to tearing each other to shreds).

Tower_Of_The_Horned_Watchers.jpg

House Rules/Game Style:
I've DM'd a few games over the last year or two, I'm pretty easy going and try to follow rule of cool, and encourage creativity - but will retcon or alter a rule if i think we've made a mistake. In general, i like to ensure each player has their own flavor niche and encourage rough party balance.

I don't do critical fail/success on skill checks, if you shoot your bow at the moon and roll a nat 20, you're still just going to do a really high shot . If a player initiates a challenge on a ruling and a call is made, be aware that applies to any NPCs as well as the players!

EB_lyrauroth_004.png

A couple of quick disclaimers:
This module is based on a book named Year Of Rogue Dragons. The original story's author (Richard Lee Byers) has endorsed the module, but I'm not familiar with it myself... If you are, sorry if i get some lore wrong! It's gonna happen haha.

I am not by any means an expert on forgotten realms lore either, so same disclaimer. I've largely homebrewed all my worlds, and made stuff up on the fly (though I have incorporated modules into adventures), so be prepared for some anomalies as i improvise and adapt to the adventure and your actions :) This is also my first time DMing evil characters, I usually ban it, so this module flips it right over!

Lastly, this is my first play by post. I like to keep things moving, and I totally understand that sometimes life gets in the way. I plan to follow some rules that some of the more active games I've played have done and if the game stalls, i may have your character to take the dodge action for example.

Other:
I'll leave this up for a week to see who is interested, however if I've got a pool of players interested earlier i might get it moving.

Thaks for reading!

I feel like I've missed out on playing evil characters in the past. This looks like it could be really fun. I'll throw my hat in.

Definitely interested on multiple levels. Evil, Dragon, full blown mystery, competing factions? Hell yes!

Something to note, now that i've had a more thorough read of the module.

As I mentioned there are 3 broad chapters. In the first, you're wyrmlings with no level. You have the features of your dragon ability (stats, attacks, breath weapons etc) and some customisation which I'll go through, but no actual class level. There's a fair bit of open world exploration. Encounters and conflict, problems to solve etc. As you grow and learn the area, the story elements are introduced and the plot begins to move forward - but you dont gain any class abilities, or meet the political factions until Chapter 2 and the story progresses.

Want to give a warning that there's quite a bit of content in this module, and with open world exploration combined with PbP speed we might play for a while before you even gain a single level in your class. However there is still a great mix of RPing as an evil little dragon, open world exploration, combat, encounters and plenty of opportunity for character development, though it'll be quite different to normal! Also note that wyrmlings do inherit some draconic memory so while you're a freshly hatched dragon, you're still a dragon and not helpless by any means.

During this first phase we'll also RP discovery of your chosen class too. My earlier comment about BM ranger was way off, while you wouldn't have a pet pre hatching, we could totally find an animal you gain a bond with (or lets face it, bend to your will muahaha) on your path to level 3 for example, so I'll be open minded about classes and we can adjust mechanics if needed :)

This sounds super intriguing! I know you've already got a bunch of applications, but I'd love to throw my hat in for consideration. A party full of evil dragons sounds like a blast, and I am very curious to see what a white dragon barbarian or a green dragon wizard might play like...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread