OOC

We now have 4 characters (not including my own character)! Once a fifth character is approved, a week time limit to create additional characters will be put in place.

@JRPG I mildly regret not having the teleport ability instead of my trap ability. It's probably for the best, though.

@Sizniche No worries, there's opportunities to change skills later in the RP. It's good to experiment out of your comfort zone. I wish I didn't have an area heal, and chose to do a taunt status effect instead, but I have to deal with it, lol.

Thanks for the invite. Two things I like. 1) the basic outline of the world. 2) the open character and world options. 

I have two immediate questions on character creation- do the Fuaranchts (sp?) look more like R2D2 as computers in wheels, C3PO as metal human machines, Borg that are mostly human with obvious machine parts, or more like Westworld where the robots are indistinguishable from human except to those that know. 

Second character question is about creating characters. How do you improve starting abilities? I have read a lot of world information, but I seem to have missed that in character creation parts. 

@solyrflair The Fuaranach can look like whatever you want them to look like. Essentially, they're special machines that gained some form of sentience. The reason is hidden by lore, but there's a reason why some machines don't gain sentience, and others do. You can choose to have a robot that's wearing human skin, or to have a human with robotic limbs. It's up to you.

You improve starting abilities by gaining XP. XP gain is through roleplaying. At the end of every month, you're allowed to spend all the XP you've gained.

If you mean the skills, you get a Lv 2 skill, once you purchase a Lv 2 skill upgrade with XP.

I'm glad I joined this; this sounds like it's going to be interesting.

Also, Varnian's the old man of the group so far from what I've seen lol

@Sizniche I'm glad to hear that! Hopefully, everything turns out nice and smooth. Although, I know the combat will be difficult at first.

I'm seeing if I can develop a more streamlined, simple combat system. However, we'll stick with the current one. If I do finish this new combat system, I'll leave it up to a vote. The basis of this new combat system is to eliminate the use of a lot of dice, and to develop a JRPG-style combat, where instead of action points, you get 1 turn. Think of fire emblem, but without cells. Since the turn is based off phases, there will be less actions to remember/record for the roleplayer.

I, the GM, will control all enemy actions. Sort of similar to our current system, except roleplayers cannot control NPC enemies, due to limitations.

Also, area skills will work still, but they're so far a balance issue that I'm trying to resolve. If I can't think of anything, I may have to get rid of area skills, or I may have it so an area attack can only be countered by one monster.

In a turn, you have phases. Phase 1 lets you move. The move is not cell-based, but still meters based. Therefore, it's more practical, but room for errors.

Phase 2 let's you choose an action, but it ends your turn.

• Use Item: (Use an item)
  • Brace: (+Defense)
  • Use Weapon (Enter Combat, or Use Weapon. Using a weapon can heal, magic damage, physical attack, teleport, etc.)
  • Other actions, if I think of them.

Combat Phase. If you enter combat with another individual, you need to roll 2d100 (main dice) + more (For skills), or two 100-sided dice + more (For skills). The first 100-sided die determines if your attack hits, or misses. The second 100-sided die determines if your attack is a critical hit. The other dice determine if you can use an active skill during combat. Multiple active skills can activate, if the scenario allows for it.

Note: Enemies like in Fire Emblem can counter attack, but their dice rolls will be determined by me. The problem with this is if they can attack you in range, and you use an area skill, it could mean instant death for your character. That's why I'm trying to find a correct balance.

If you want a rough preview, check out the last posts on this thread:

Everything's not finalized yet, so please don't ask questions. I'm just letting you all know, that I understand the difficulty and complexity of our current system, and that I'm trying to make a system that will be somewhat complex, but easy/simple to pick up.

Last edited by a moderator:
@JRPG Sincerely, I already like the current system as is though it feels a bit odd. Only thing I can say I don't like about the current one is the need for using actions for defending myself. Because that there can make things go very badly when we begin to talk about many die or simply many people. The systems I've know don't have such feature specially because it makes simply mobbing against a single target at the time the -one- very correct choice in combat, and not just simply a single person not spreading their attacks around. But rather, the whole team focusing on taking an enemy down at the time to reduce the enemy total action pool. In systems like that, it does become very much up to the GM to not let the combat become monotonous.

Then again, this is just my personal experience with systems that do that. Both the players and you might end up making it all go in an entirely different way.

Anyhow, it is fun to see a homebrew tabletop-like game based on JRPGs with such nice lore.

@Archene The reasons it costs action to defend one's self is to allow for strategy. You can choose to accept an attack, so you can do different actions. I've limit the die totals to 6 for some actions, and 4 for other actions, or less for others. Regarding too many people, I don't plan to involve a lot of enemies. Maybe 1~2 enemies per party member, even less if it's a boss. Also, spreading out attacks can limit enemy actions, since enemies can't die combine for other actions, if they have to use dice to block. Thus, lowering the chances for other actions. I also have status effects, which may make an enemy useless, thus limiting their action points. Therefore, it's not always about focusing a singular enemy. Also, for combat scenarios, some enemies may be more dangerous targets than others, even if they have a low action pool.

Although it makes it complex, it allows for diversity. Elements also make some enemies weaker, or stronger.

Thank you for your comment, I worked so many hours to develop this system, despite its flaws.

I know how hard it can be to make a system. If anything! I'm amazed at how in-depth it is. When making something for myself, I just try to simplify things to the extreme XD So it is nice to see a system like yours. I hope you keep working on your system until you are truly satisfied with it. :3 (And that we get the chance to use it in such form!)

@Archene The system was extremely complex when I first started it, as you can tell by the Brainstorm Pit. It's like 4 pages long, lol. Simplifying things is always difficult, especially if there are a lot of stats, and the reason there are a lot of stats is to allow different actions.

Strength lets you do a melee attack.

Perception lets you do a ranged attack.

Physique lets you block against an attack, and to block an attack aimed an ally. Extremely useful for tanks.

Evade lets you move and dodge an attack. Extremely useful for characters who need extra movement.

Counter lets you redirect an attack. Useful to deal some additional damage. 

Movement allows your character to move, which allows depth for range and melee.

Spirit lets you block some special magic moves, same with resistance and empower. It frees up skill slots.

Mana Recovery, so people can cast more spells!

The rest pertain to other additional materials.

I've tried to make it so that the actions resemble a character's IC action too. I know some systems just have attack, defense, and HP, but I want to reflect all possible IC actions as best as I can. You're still free to do other actions such as sneaking around an enemy, etc. That's called using all your action points to move! If there's an IC action that cannot be done with my current system, I'll find a way to allow it. In fact, transformation was one such IC action a roleplayer wanted to do. I allowed it, but the transformation allows for different forms of action, rather than directly affecting the stat system. The character can move more agile in their transformed form, but it doesn't allow for extra movement, or increased evade. However, they can rank up their evade/movement, if they want those OOC effects to be prevalent IC.

Therefore, the OOC combat system just determines combat, not your actual IC movements. However, I wanted to make counter, mana recovery, etc. all possible in some manner, as I realize those require some form of godmoding, but with this dice system, it's easier to do those actions. I hope that makes sense, or maybe I'm redundant. I plan to tweak/edit it as much as possible. The new combat system I'm working on will borrow elements from this one, but I'm making it easier. However, the problem with the new one is that it lacks diversity, and only a few actions can be preformed. Therefore, my newer system won't be as fun to individuals who love hard, complex systems with depth.

In all honesty, combat is just a minor portion of the roleplay, and not something I should fret over, or anyone should worry about. It's just an added element to make combat scenarios a bit more fair.

To those who chose counter, I updated the skill to make it more fair: Each successful counter requires an additional action point. Example: First counter costs the same, second counter costs +1 action point, third counter costs +2 action points.

That way enemies with a ton of counter dice won't kill the party that easily.

@JRPG At the comments on your system, yeah. It can be hard to simply, which is why I prefer to start simple. I've had games with 3 stats (which by chance where mind (psych stuff and non-magical mind things), body (alllll the physical things from reflexes to strength) and soul (magic resistance, magical affinity) while leaving the interpretation of those to be detailed through character description. The system was more towards free form. Hard to have a complex system that allows everything without giving an overwhelming amount of choices.

As for counter ;~; if I had know I'd have gone with physique :|  Though, what is the synergy of that rule with the augment skills? If someone had an augment +2 on counter, would they be able to spend 2 actions to block two attacks? (1 action from the basic counter die, and the second action from the supposed 2 die for one action from augment, or something of the kind.)

@Archene you are free to change your counter to physique. I just updated it so monsters don't kill people easily. Fewer stats can allow for free form and I have such a system in development. It costs 1 action per die with counter. The first counter costs an action per die, the second successful counter costs an action per die plus 1 action, and so on for successful counters. Counter is still useful, but I've limited the ability to counter multiple times. There is a way to build a full counter character and that is by investing a lot into action points.

Augments to counter just increase dice amount, increase accuracy, or allow for more die combines.

Also, I think I'm going to work on a different approach to combat. One that allows magical attacks to have no cost to mana, but skills require mana. However, this will take a long while, so we'll stick with our current system. Honestly, I just want fair combat that allows some free-form.

I am about 80% complete with the character. I have a few things I need to fill in that I forgot to look up while posting. But I wanted to give a quick overview of the Formorian race I wanted to play.

So, the origin of the species is from cute little fauns like the one below. This was from way back before the Crystals came and messed things up. They lived peaceful if simple lives among trees and fields. But then came the crystals.

white_faun_by_kestrelshatterwind.jpg

While the Milesians were infected, becoming Tuatha De Dannan, some of the Formorians were infected as well, but in a different manner. Without the knowledge and wherewithal to truly learn from what was happening, the virus that affected the Formorians was much worse. It drove some of them mad, making them enemies of the Tuatha, some saw their forms change in less than one lifetime. The pain at these transformations, angered the elders and blamed the Tuatha for the blight that affected them. Some saw the change as a benefit, giving them a new form to live with, but others became monsters to be hunted.

Her race lost who and what they were. They only see themselves as blighted, no longer calling themselves by any race, any name, not even Formorian. The Tuatha de Danann hunted them by many names - demons, gorgons, bolg, horrors. But her race fought back for centuries, their anger making them stronger and fiercer, but they were too few to win and soon retreated to the highest mountain caves until the Tuatha de Danaan chose to follow the no longer.

While other races built their city-states around the crystals, her blighted tribe hid in the mountains surviving off the bark of trees and berries from bushes. They made no progress, merely subsisting. After centuries passed, the Tuatha de Danann had secured much of the land and their race turned to a new leader, Medu. She promised that one day they could return to the world once they learned to do more than simply subsist. She taught them to nurture the world around them, to respect their elders, and to eat their dead so that the whiter power would not wane. If they learned well, they could take their place once more and perhaps claim a name among the races.

Does this work for you?

@JRPG  I have a question mostly regarding my race and the age thing... I understand the need for a max age, but can my race (Draconians) look the same age a majority of their lives only to rapidly age and show their true age in the last few years of life? Asking to clear this up because I wanted to know before I adjusted my character any more.

@solyrflair All species existed before the crystals except for the Fuaranach and Tuatha de Danann.

Due to lore reasons, I cannot allow Fomorians to be infected by the crystals. The reason Fomorians are enemies with Danann is due to the Milesians in the area becoming Danann, as a result it was Danann vs. Fomorian, rather than Danann vs. Milesian vs. Fomorian.

Everything else works.

If you want your species to have the ability to transform into other creatures, that's possible, if that's what you're going for.

@AxelVanDeriz That's fine, since it's a sub-type of Fomorian, but there will be timeskips, which may affect your character more than others, if that's the deal with their aging process.

@AxelVanDeriz If the story timeskips by a year, your character will have a greater appearance change, if they age rapidly than other characters.

@JRPG Oh, no, my idea was that I meant they live about the max age, but if they reach, say, 20-ish years of age, they remain looking that age, though in all other ways aging normally, for about 90-ish % of their lives. In the last 5 or 10 years is when they age rapidly to show their true age and pass on soon after, those who make it that far.

Users who are viewing this thread