• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Futuristic (OOC) USS Horizon NCC 176

@LadyPilate 

I don't want to rush you but if you could shoot for the next few days that would be preferable. Mostly I just want to know what I need to recruit people for. If you could post a work in progress for your characters with just the basics that would be super helpful and then you could take more time to fill in the details and all the important stuff, but no specific date since we don't have enough people interested that I have to pick through bios and decide who gets in or anything, nor are we even full yet 

Hi, I'm Nemo. My favorite Star Trek series was The Next Generation (that's the one with Picard, right?), and overall I just enjoy spacey stuff.

As for plot, I have a couple of snippets floating around in my head, though they're nowhere near substantial enough to be of use. I'll pretty much go with whatever you have in mind.

Answers to some questions

@Mr.Sandstorm

1-) Well, since he's from Earth, I'd like to start from there. How has the human homeworld fared?

Is poverty still a common factor?

Is pollution still a concern?

How deep have alien cultures sunk into the daily life of an earth-grown human? Also, how has human culture survived and adapted to foreing contact?

I'm led to believe that Earth's nations had united (at least in the broad sense of the word) by now, so, what happened with it's many militaries? And how do they interact with the Starfleet?

The answers to these questions mostly lie in the movies "voyage home" and "first contact"

this takes place in the 23rd century, sometime around the events of beyond, so everything with Nero, the destruction of the Vulcan homeworld, and khan have already happened but recently enough that characters should have at least vague memories of it even if they are rather young.

I'm under the impression that starfleet is the closest thing although it is exclusively a non-militaristic organization it does have defensive capabilities. I'm pretty sure starfleet is the first line of defense, especially considering in the 2009 movie as soon as there's an emergency it's starfleet officers who are immediately deployed. The line between military and defensive is definitely blurred in into darkness, a fact addressed by Scotty when he leaves.

poverty is NOT a concern. Like in the voyage home, when the crew is in 1980 something and they have to get money and everyone is like...???? What now? What is this??? Kirk??? Money isn't really a thing. Rations and such are, but the majority of the fandom that came in for the new movies tends to ignore this and I'm not sure why. But yeah, no money. Earth is united, following a horrific world war three in the 21st century. Sometime around 2050 ish they create the first warp capable engine and that brings the Vulcans (a pacifist logic based alien race) to earth. 

After that the coilition of planets if formed and then the federation and all that jazz. 

Pollution is also not a problem, what with the lack of capitalism and corporations and incorporation of advanced technology that is logically more green than before.

i imagine if your character lived in a small town not near any starfleet bases or anything that they could have had minimal non human contact. However, at this point we have pretty much been ally's with Vulcans for like 200 or so years now.

There is also some dispute about the federation being too "human centric" 

2-) Relating to the ship, Horizon:

I have a cloudy sense of what a Constitution-class starship would be relative to the other ships of the Starfleet. Apparently theyre speed-capable enough for someone like Picard to think about picking a race with the Time Lor-- I mean, the Q. He failed (rather hiraliously), of course, but I heard he was a very toughtfull captain, so I'm led to believe that ships like the Enterprise are remarkably fast, and by association, maneuverable. Am I correct?

yes you are correct. Constitution class ships are the most advanced ships of their time (however, Picards enterprise is a later incarnation and is a galaxy class, better bigger faster, generational ship, with cool things like a Holodeck. They don't exist yet) an assignment aboard a constitution class starship is about as dangerous as it gets for starfleet. They have a rather high loss rate. I'm fairly sure our enterprise can reach warp nine. Warp ten is like... Time travel speed. Freaky stuff happens at warp ten and it's not a thing people do. Nor a thing that the enterprise is generally capable of. 

Our crew should consist of right around 400 people.

3-) About the general time period:

A quick google search of the Alternate Original Series pointed straight to the 2009 movie, so I assume  this RP is in the same time period of Captains Kirk's first adventures. Is that correct? If so, what year is it, and what's the general condition of the known, civilized galaxy?

I think I answered this in the previous ones? 

Excuse any errors or if this seems botched or rushed, I typed it out pretty quickly on my phone

Last edited by a moderator:
And I suppose you guys would like an introduction haha.

im rainzen, or rain if your autocorrect gets all pissy with yo or you like nicknames.

im a giant need, I come from a family of giant nerds, we actually had a family party to celebrate the 50th anniversary and spent two days sitting at home watching the original series and movies to celebrate

TNG is my first Star Trek love, I used to watch the reruns when I came home from middle school. 

I'm starting college tomorrow, so expect me to be a little distant for the next week

And I suppose you guys would like an introduction haha.

im rainzen, or rain if your autocorrect gets all pissy with yo or you like nicknames.

im a giant need, I come from a family of giant nerds, we actually had a family party to celebrate the 50th anniversary and spent two days sitting at home watching the original series and movies to celebrate

TNG is my first Star Trek love, I used to watch the reruns when I came home from middle school. 

I'm starting college tomorrow, so expect me to be a little distant for the next week

Oh, so I can safely assume you must be very knowledgeable of this universe's rules and facts, and that's a relief for me. No better way to dive blind into a ST roleplay than with a trekkie as the GM. I think...

If we get shot right trough our shields by a phaser, I'm going to trust you didnt cheat, allright?!

Anyway, my character's bio will be up soon.

Hi @Rainzen :3 I am loving the look of this roleplay and would love to join the ranks though I noticed that all the designated positions were filled. Is there any position you would like my character (female) to fulfill? Be that because of preference or to better the "plot", it is up to you :)  If you do not have a position in mind, I can safely assume any position I deem worthy for my character, I can chose on my own. 

hello everyone! I'm back, sort of. College is hard. 

I've started on a starter post, expect it very soon, although probably not tonight.

@BeamMeUpScotty

I'm still needing a bio from you, you can't jump in without it, but if we start without you, feel free to still post it and jump in afterwards!

sorry for the delay, I know I said Tuesday, but I'm kind of dying here.

Question.

Um, I assume we'll be in our uniforms when the play starts, right?

So, like, what colors will each of our uniforms be?

More importantly, who's getting the red shirt?

The Captain, Pilot, and Navigator wear gold. Operations, Communications, Security, and Engineering wear red. Medical and Science wear blue.

Gold? The captain and all helmsmen wear gold, which is definitely the pilot, so I would also guess navigation as well. Let me double check that real quick.

EDIT: @Mr.Sandstorm Yes, navigation wears gold.

Nemo pretty much got it except communications officer is in red

Fixed my post. The wiki didn't have navigations or communications listed, so I kinda guessed.

On that note, the 1st officer wears the color of their specialization before becoming 1st officer, correct? So I would have to decide where Natasha specialized before transferring, right?

yes that is correct, and science officer is open so if you want her to double up she can do that, if shes on the science track, I suppose.

so they have us in mandatory orientation activities like 18 hours a day it seems. I'm writing up the starter on my phone in my free time. We're jumping in on the slice of life aspect to establish characters right away and then moving into the start of a mission soon after, probably a dangerous and fast paced one to get everyone really pumped ok?

Question.

What happens if a starship at warp speed flies too close (or even into) a star?

More broadly, how do FTL sistems deal with the threath of running too close to massive objects?

@Mr.Sandstorm I mean I would assume they die? But I honestly don't know. 

Warp isn't so much an FTL drive as it is like... a portable wormhole I guess. It bends space to make the ship move through it more quickly. 

They also use impulse drive but generally only for going short distances. Impulse is more of what you would picture a more idk if the word is conventional? spaceship would use. Like pushing through space instead of bending space.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back