OOC (Star Wars RP)

I just read over my last post, and I accidentally cut some of what my character did off. I edited it so it wouldn't end so abruptly like it did. 

Well... This place looks nice, new, shiny....

OCc61DA.gif

...is it just me or is the site different than it was when it last used XF software?

I feel like an Imperial Navy Commando that's been moved from a VT-49 down to planetside , and then to back up to an Imperial-II Class Star Destroyer of all things.

It is different. This is because the coding is updated and new formatting. It's taking a me a little getting used to, but I think I like it.

We'll see how things work out when the entire site is 100%

The site's white background is blinding. So I turned on Dark Theme. It looks pretty cool in my opinion. Anyone else change their site theme?

I just use the base theme because I'm the sort of person that only modifies things if I feel it's truly required. This is not one of those cases , and so I use the normal theme.

all right, y'all, I've been informed that DD will no longer be considered a hosted project (apparently the fact that we only have one character thread and one IC thread despite the over 2,000 replies and the fact it was initially created as a tabbed RP means we aren't worthy). The way they want me to accomplish this isn't really plausible with the set up given me.

So... I'm going to offer up some options and I'd like to hear your opinions.

1. We deal but lose a lot of functionality on the RP, thus closing the RP to new entrants.
2. We go to a Discord server.
3. We go to a different forum site where I could set it up more easily anew.

Thoughts?

Well, that's annoying. I don't know exactly what we'd lose with option 1, so I can't make a proper decision there. Personally I'd like to keep it here because this site has the backlog of all the old posts. Otherwise, option 2 works.

I'm inclined to stay here. I can't keep up on a chat based RP system, so for me Discord is not an option. But I agree with Shadow, without knowing what functionality would change/be lost, I can't make a proper decision.

well, instead of having all of our threads in easy reach we would be split into a lot of different threads, no longer connected. Essentially, if any of you have ever been on Gaia Online it would be that system. Which is a fine system, I have no problem with it... if that was something we went into this RP with. But it's not.

Basically, we wouldn't have the tab system we originally started with and the only way the threads would stay connected is if I edited every one to contain all the links. We lose mod privileges so we can no longer decide who is in our group, etc, I need to be on here more often now to manage this RP as I can't designate people to be able to do it for me, that sort of thing. The main issue I'm having, honestly, is the lack of cohesion. Though for most of you it won't be too much of an issue if you're not consistently checking up on/changing character profiles and editing certain bits and pieces of background information, it is going to be a pain and I would kind of jettison everything but the IC, OOC, and Character Profiles as all of y'all more or less know the rules.

I've never been on Gaia, just here and the very old Voy forums. I'd prefer to stay here. And let's all keep in mind, while the site is back up, it's still not 100% yet. So some things may come back to make it easier for everyone.

I'm going to be honest , if Displeases me quite a bit to lose the power to actually control who can join. Those of us that remember the pre-HP days remember when idiots who knew absolutely nothing other than 'it's Star Wars' would put up the most inane , ridiculous CS'.. and to be frank I was very happy when those days were over. The threads all being disparate and disconnected just.. completely and utterly offends my rigid sense of Order and structure - as anyone who's ever discussed the ever-growing Imperial Army would know , I've got omega-level OCD with how I like my hobby stuff organized. Though I don't really like the idea of losing all the previous posts either..

Is it possible we could get it to still be an HP by saying we'll make more threads (and then actually doing it , of course)? That would be the best course of action by far - all the other options have quite many drawbacks.

I've already put that forward (saying we could make a new IC thread as a second arc) but I was told that could be done without it being a hosted project. Mrrr. Mostly I'm just frustrated because the mark feels like it's constantly shifting. I really don't have the energy to learn a new system every six months or so and it pisses me off that I feel like we're being punished for failing to make a whole bunch of threads.

I've already put that forward (saying we could make a new IC thread as a second arc) but I was told that could be done without it being a hosted project. Mrrr. Mostly I'm just frustrated because the mark feels like it's constantly shifting. I really don't have the energy to learn a new system every six months or so and it pisses me off that I feel like we're being punished for failing to make a whole bunch of threads.
So if it can , what are hosted projects even for? I.. don't understand how any of this works , honestly. Where the hell is the distinction between regular RPs and HPs? I certainly agree with the sentiment of the mark continually shifting - I feel as if every time I finally get used to the changes and get comfortable with how it works , it goes and changes again. I do have the energy to adapt like this , but Force-forbid I'm so very tired of it (doesn't help I adapt slowly , either). And this really isn't anything that new , either - this sort of thing was going on back when I joined , over 3 years ago. I know it'll change once again towards the end of the year , when XF v2 comes out (which , by the way , is why we don't have RP tabs or anything - those Addon developers are waiting for that to start making new versions to replace the old ones that made the site have to move to IPS). Unfortunately for us all , most everyone else seems to enjoy this update (at least so far as I can tell) , so it won't be changing anytime soon. Not until XF 2 comes out , of course , but.. that's not gonna be until September at least , I think. Which of course will only change things further , and cause yet further variations of this current mess that we're in. It's the f*cking ever-shifting sands or something - the only certainty is that it inevitably changes.

*sigh* it's just a shit sandwich in every possible way. I'm getting to the point where I'm simply bitter about it all , instead of Taris-destroyingly Most Displeased.

Last edited:
The other option is I remake the thing as a hosted project when applications are opened up and I make four different treads for Character Profiles (Dark Side, Light Side, Gray, and Non-Force Users) and... I don't know, make a different IC thread for each planet/area. The IC thing would be confusing, though, which is why I didn't do that to begin with.

Ignore what I just posted:
Up to this point, you have not taken advantage of the HP system as it stood. Hosted Projects are intensive on site resources, regardless of the number of threads used within them. No, you may not 'make multiple character sheets and multiple IC threads along with some supplementaries' at this time. You have shown that your RP can exist perfectly well without being a HP and thus we shall treat it as thus.

Captain Hesperus

Users who are viewing this thread