• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Fantasy OOC chat

Main
Here
Characters
Here
Other
Here
Note for all, but for D. Rex D. Rex in particular: I added some backstory to my post with the character sheet. It's a bit vague on the connection to our tiefling, and only the first attempt - but it's a start.
And it's a good start! Gives their house a foundation to build their history on, and gives me some good ideas.

And we also need a potent devisively drow family name for the sisters, any suggestions?

Not yet - just asked the drow name generator, and it offered Rilynath, Duskrath, Rilyntyl, Daevar... I'm open to suggestions!

By the way: I like your background choices. I totally won't mention tail or hooves. Ever.

Is there a nickname that she really doesn't like? For special occasions only, of course.

Not yet - just asked the drow name generator, and it offered Rilynath, Duskrath, Rilyntyl, Daevar... I'm open to suggestions!

By the way: I like your background choices. I totally won't mention tail or hooves. Ever.

Is there a nickname that she really doesn't like? For special occasions only, of course.
I'll start looking some up! Though Duskrath sounds funnly ominous. Drow, but also the sounding could have meaning on the surface too.

Thank you!

I also just changed her name to Dellyn'dierra. Probably going by Dellyn or Dell for short.

An easy go to, and likely nickname from childhood would be instead of calling her Dellyn, to call her Daen. Dropping the sound of the L to make her it mean "Amusing". Petty enough to not take offense, but with enough childhood history to make it very grating and irritating for her. Like someone calling Vicky, Icky or Picky instead.

Lol or go the route of Rugrats Phil and Lil, and when we are mad at each other we call each other by our full name instead of shorthand.

Speaking of! What about Inky? Anything to call her for short or an annoying nickname?

Inky was probably fine for a while when noone else listened - until she figured out that the word had a meaning on the surface. Use that one with caution, now. She'd probably go for Ira these days, at least for closer friends - it's a surface name, good enough for someone who doesn't want to show respect. And Daen probably shouldn't need that. So Inkiira would probably irritate Ira more than either Inky or Ira.

I'll switch the abyssal tongue on my sheet for Infernal, I think - same reasons to know it (power!) , and it never hurts to have a common secret language. Undercommon just isn't fancy enough for that.

D. Rex D. Rex
Before I give the 'yae' or 'nae', could you tell me how your character is a Tiefling Drow? I never knew you could do a mixing like that, unless they're a half-elf or half-orc, and would like to know what page it is on please.

D. Rex D. Rex
Before I give the 'yae' or 'nae', could you tell me how your character is a Tiefling Drow? I never knew you could do a mixing like that, unless they're a half-elf or half-orc, and would like to know what page it is on please.

The character is a drow in that they were raised and born to dark elf parents.

I can use several ways of reasoning this is possible. Both quotes coming from Dndbeyond tiefling page. Tiefling Page

1. "And to twist the knife, tieflings know that this is because a pact struck generations ago infused the essence of Asmodeus—overlord of the Nine Hells—into their bloodline. Their appearance and their nature are not their fault but the result of an ancient sin, for which they and their children and their children’s children will always be held accountable."

The strongest bit of evidence that it is possible is that the race is more along the lines of a hereditary curse than any specific racial genetic code. The cause being ramifications of a major demonic pact. And so long as the bloodline continues, the chances if tiefling offspring can occur.

That tieflings are numerous enough to be considered a race, yet not common enough to have a home of origin is evident of several things.

A: In a world of many demons, such pacts are common enough to create different bloodlines. For if they only shared one bloodline, it would take a very long time for offspring to have spread across the world.

B: The curse remains regardless of how diluted the bloodline seems to become. Further research shows that the curse can skip generations, with tieflings seemingly being a mutant manifestation of the curse. Two normal parents can bear a tiefling child, should fortune not favor them. This giving more weight to the stigma, for they aren't just an odd looking race, but instead cursed.

2. "Tieflings are derived from human bloodlines, and in the broadest possible sense, they still look human."

Tieflings are derived from humans. Clear as day. But exclusively? Its widely debated across the forums. The curse itself doesn't seem to be exclusive to humans. In the forbidden realms books, similar occurrences happen in other races. Such as the fey'ri for the elves and tannaruks for the orcs. The names may change, but the origin is similar in each case. A bloodline cursed or bred with demonic lineage.

Putting the forbidden realms content aside, it is still notorious that humanity has the superpower of being able to "bone anything". Over generations it is possible to wittle away the human blood to nigh nothing. For example. A half elf gets with an elf, that child gets with an elf, that child gets with an elf. And so on. But the bloodline is still tainted with the curse. While it is easy to reason that the dilution of blood might make tiefling born children rarer, there is no evidence that the curse will NEVER bear fruit.

To that end, we come to this specific family of Drow. Like many families, they are power hungry. And as detailed by Silanons backstory, they have no qualms about boning a dragon to get that draconic bloodline for sorcerers. It would not be a stretch for them at all to have taken in mates that that were tiefling(thus tainting their bloodline) or an ancestor had been one of those mentioned that came from a cursed bloodline that bred out most of their human past. Hell they might have tried for a few demon babies themselves. And that elves can bear such powers within dracomic bloodlines of sorcerers does set precedent that it is possible that their blood could carry other such curses or powers.

Mechanically speaking, the tiefling is just a tiefling. With the drow parents being just for the sake of roleplay and history. Taking on sunlight sensitivity (even without the extra darkvision) is just more for the fun of having a tangible flaw. And it could also be reasoned that the tiefling brought out the ancient human blood in the family, making her eyes less adapted to the dark than if she were truly drow.

As for Lurker in the Deep thing, that mainly for the tentacles and I wanted to go for a water theme. But mostly just to play with tentacles.

Shadeofshade Shadeofshade

Also, being a tiefling isn't a sticking point. If you aren't comfortable with me being a drow born tiefling, I can just make a normal drow instead, since sisters with sil takes priority in the fun list. (Still gonna ask for tentacles though)

D. Rex D. Rex
Not a problem, I was just having a hard time wrapping my head around it. So, just to make sure, your race is Tiefling with a Drow family rather than human. That makes sense for your character to substitute the 60ft darkvision of tieflings for the the 120ft darkvision of drow if you add the sunlight sensitivity so I'll allow it. I will say though, please tell me if you're going to use something from a book I haven't listed yet so i can let everyone know that they can have that too. The "Haunted One" background is from the Curse of Strahd, a book I don't have. Thankfully I can look it up and find out about it. I'll allow it this time since it doesn't do much in the terms of harm but I will ask how your character can also speak Uncommon as the race, class and background can only give you a total of 3 languages to my understanding.

D. Rex D. Rex
Not a problem, I was just having a hard time wrapping my head around it. So, just to make sure, your race is Tiefling with a Drow family rather than human. That makes sense for your character to substitute the 60ft darkvision of tieflings for the the 120ft darkvision of drow if you add the sunlight sensitivity so I'll allow it. I will say though, please tell me if you're going to use something from a book I haven't listed yet so i can let everyone know that they can have that too. The "Haunted One" background is from the Curse of Strahd, a book I don't have. Thankfully I can look it up and find out about it. I'll allow it this time since it doesn't do much in the terms of harm but I will ask how your character can also speak Uncommon as the race, class and background can only give you a total of 3 languages to my understanding.
Awesome!

And I didn't know it was from a different book. I must have bought it on the site and forgot about it. I have no problem switching the background for the sake of fairness. It was a slip of the mind. Lol the only out of book thing I'm trying to pitch for is the Lurker in the Deep thing for Warlock.

As for language! The odd one out is infernal. The tiefling race starts with speaking common and Infernal. Undercommon and Deep Speech where chosen. If you'd like I can remove one.

D. Rex D. Rex
I would have thought that Undercommon was the odd one out. For some reason I kept thinking that Deep Speech was the commonly spoken language of the underdark. I hate asking this but if you can then please chose one to leave out? I would very much appreciate it.

D. Rex D. Rex
I would have thought that Undercommon was the odd one out. For some reason I kept thinking that Deep Speech was the commonly spoken language of the underdark. I hate asking this but if you can then please chose one to leave out? I would very much appreciate it.
No worries! Aye aye, ill see to it that ill have three languages.

I don't mean to be pushy. But could I have a clear ruling on if I can use Lurker in the Deep or not? So I can finish working on my CS.

Lurker In The Deep is an Unearthed Arcana right? I did say that I wouldn't be doing it in this game but in the next game that I would do, that being Dragon Heist, with approval.

Lurker In The Deep is an Unearthed Arcana right? I did say that I wouldn't be doing it in this game but in the next game that I would do, that being Dragon Heist, with approval.
Yes it is.

If I kept the same character for dragon heist, would i be able to make that sort of mechanical change?

If you keep the same character then I'll allow UA providing you send me a link first and I get the chance to look at it. I will also need to work with you to make sure that the character is done properly unless you both keep the same character and remake them as I will do dragon heist at level 1 most likely.

D. Rex D. Rex Short question: How old is Dellyn? Added a random number on my sheet for now, but it'd make some sense for them to not be too far apart, I'd reckon.

If you keep the same character then I'll allow UA providing you send me a link first and I get the chance to look at it. I will also need to work with you to make sure that the character is done properly unless you both keep the same character and remake them as I will do dragon heist at level 1 most likely.
Well, if dragon heist will reset things to level 1, then it doesn't really make all that much difference. Given the shortness of Mines of Fandango I though Heist was a part 2. With that not being the case, it isn't that big of a deal. I can just go with Great old ones patron to make it easier for you.

If you want the links though, here are the ones to it specifically. UA has several parts, so to keep from changing too much here is just the specific bits.

PDF - UA Sorcerer and Warlock
dndbeyond page

But as i said, I can get by without it of you would much rather.. Sorry if I'm being a headache.

D. Rex D. Rex Short question: How old is Dellyn? Added a random number on my sheet for now, but it'd make some sense for them to not be too far apart, I'd reckon.
I didn't have an age for her yet. So maybe they are twins. Could lend further credence to their sisterly bond.

Also I'm thinking of just making her full drow instead of tiefling. Would make things easier for Shade, and the the racial bits would do well if I choose pact of the blade.

Twins certainly has potential - just gotta flip a coin to see who made it out first, and we're ready to go. Has a special dynamic with the gifts of the dragonblood, too, there's probably much more direct comparing of the two when there's no age gap.

I have to say, that picture really makes me want to see a tiefling drow in action, but I get your point. I'd say go with what you think is best, and we'll make it work.

Sherwood Sherwood welian welian Any thoughts on any previous connections between characters? I've got the blood of a silver dragon, so that alone will offer some connection with Mor'du. Did we meet earlier, or do you prefer the beginning of the story to be the first time we meet? Would we have met our half-orc paladin before, or willl this be the first time our paths cross? I'm open to suggestions if you want!

Twins certainly has potential - just gotta flip a coin to see who made it out first, and we're ready to go. Has a special dynamic with the gifts of the dragonblood, too, there's probably much more direct comparing of the two when there's no age gap.

I have to say, that picture really makes me want to see a tiefling drow in action, but I get your point. I'd say go with what you think is best, and we'll make it work.

Sherwood Sherwood welian welian Any thoughts on any previous connections between characters? I've got the blood of a silver dragon, so that alone will offer some connection with Mor'du. Did we meet earlier, or do you prefer the beginning of the story to be the first time we meet? Would we have met our half-orc paladin before, or willl this be the first time our paths cross? I'm open to suggestions if you want!
Lol let's flip a coin then. 1, I born first, 2, you born first.

And who am I to not be tiefling? Lol after all, it is a really good pic. I'll stick with tiefling. The rp parallels between two different bloodlines could be fun.

First-born, dragon-blooded - sounds like she won life before the game can even begin...

Any thoughts on any previous connections between characters? I've got the blood of a silver dragon, so that alone will offer some connection with Mor'du. Did we meet earlier, or do you prefer the beginning of the story to be the first time we meet? Would we have met our half-orc paladin before, or willl this be the first time our paths cross? I'm open to suggestions if you want!

I'd love to plot! I can't promise anything right this second though, I'm double-checking with Shade that my character's backstory and motivation won't interfere with anything already planned for the RP. If everything clears though, then he can be summarized as such:

775d89db9c8ffcd8589f3acdf37d0e323f-25-this-is-fine-lede-new.2x.rsocial.w600.jpg

IronGolemHoldingRose.png

I have no set plan for Mor'du. I'm just going to go with the flow.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back