• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Realistic or Modern one x one - teen roleplay

pudgefudges

Unlucky ducky
Standing at 5’4, Skylar Hart is a slim, toned girl, with fuller thighs and a cinched waist. Her long, wavy brown hair frames her soft, pretty face perfectly. She has deep blue eyes, which she usually accentuates with a little makeup. She has a good few ear piercings, jewellery dotted all around her ears which she keeps in pretty much all of the time. Most of the time, she can be seen wearing black or neutral coloured clothing, most of the time tight fitting with an oversized jacket, hoodie or coat. Despite not being personally religious, she wears a cross necklace given to her by her grandmother, or at least that’s what she was told. She wears it to appeal to her family.

Sky spent the first few years of her life going from foster home to foster home, before she was adopted at 6 years old by a lovely couple who initially couldn’t have a child of their own. When Sky turned 10, her adoptive parents had a little boy, who Sky adores. Growing up in a religious household, Sky was pretty well behaved and she liked it that way- it was simple. Though, she struggled to follow religion as strictly as her parents.

Now 17, Sky works part time in the small towns bookstore. She loves it there, she loves reading and being surrounded by knowledge and creativity. She’s a very sweet girl, would walk to the ends of the earth for someone she cared for. She enjoys drawing and painting, even plays the piano when the mood strikes. She can be quite timid and shy, but working in the bookstore has helped with that over the past year. She has a sweet friendship group, full of people she adores with her whole heart. Skylar has had many crushes in her time, a boyfriend or two when she was younger but she wasn’t even sure that they could count as relationships.
Screen Shot 2021-10-15 at 4.02.16 PM.png

Name: Alexander Zimmerson/Nickname and preferred name: Zim

Appearance
Screen Shot 2021-10-13 at 7.46.44 PM.png

Zim is a tall muscular black haired boy with dark brown eyes. He has a french crop hair-cut that is styled on top to make a slight fringe along the hairline. His face is well-defined with a strong jaw and freckles sprinkled under his eyes. The boy has a small scar over his top lip, barely visible unless you get a close-up. He prefers to wear neutral colors, clothing really isn't that important to him. He likes band t-shirts and jeans.

Personality:
Zims personality can best be described as stoic and brooding. Since a young age he has had to learn to put his emotions aside to care for others in his family. It's the same old story, step-dad was an alcoholic and mom wasn’t much better. His presence is humble and quiet, he can seem unapproachable but he has the desire for his friends to trust him fully. Zim is somewhat hypocritical because he is unable to communicate his true feelings and is often quick to recede behind sarcasm and false optimism. He grows uncomfortable if any weakness is shown. He bounces back from conflict easily and doesn’t often choose to hold grudges. However his temper can be set off easily, and can be explosive even if it takes something significant to get him too angry.

Background:
Zim had lived on the other side of the country until the age of 17 when he decided to live with his aunt to get away from his alcoholic family. He has never really had a girlfriend, but he has sleep around a bit, nothing really meaning anything.

Another typical end to another typical day of school grew closer and closer as Sky listened to the hand of the clock tick obnoxiously each second. In such a boring class, it was the most exciting thing to focus on. Maybe the class wasn’t that boring, it was just that she was very much looking forward to going to work. What 17 year old is excited to go to work? Sky. Sky is; she works in a bookstore, she loves it there. Constantly surrounded by knowledge, creativity, and people who care about the art of writing, fiction or non fiction, comics, biographies, all of it! She loved it. It was also peaceful there. At home, having two preaching parents and a hyper 8 year old brother meant that she didn’t get too much quiet time. But in a bookstore, it wasn’t too loud. People came in to browse, have a sophisticated conversation, buy a book and then leave. It was simple, it was lovely. Plus the pay was pretty good, and she got discounts for books so how could she complain?

The bell chimed, signifying the end of the day. It wasn’t as though she was in a hurry to leave, she had a good half hour before she had to show up. So, she took her time and said goodbye to a few of her friends before walking to the bookstore, only a 10 minute walk away through a shortcut she had found a few months ago. Of course she wasn’t expecting anything different in this shift, if anything she was grateful for the regularity. The predictable, familiar customers who’s breath smelt like coffee, the constant aroma of brand new books, the middle aged fingernails tapping on hardback versions of the latest celebrity auto-biography. It was like home to her.

She waved a small goodbye to her co-workers who had been working the day shift, clocking in to work her hours behind the register. The store was pretty quiet on weekdays, especially at this time. Most people were either in work or saving their shopping trips for the weekend. Today, Sky wore black mom jeans and a deep green sweatshirt, her necklace complimenting the outfit, as well as her earrings. Her hair was half tied up, mainly to keep a bulk of it out of her face whilst she worked. She wore classic doc martens boots and had a few simple rings slipped on different fingers.

Zim sighed as his pulled aunts car in front of a small, dinky looking, bookstore. He had just finished unpacking when his Aunt told him that he needed to pick up a few books for school from there, some of the literature that they were reading.

Get around and see the town before school starts tomorrow, she had said.

Zim really wasn't interested in seeing the town. He felt totally jet lagged from a flight across the country at 2 a.m, and frankly not thrilled about moving here in general. He had said his final goodbyes and good riddance to his parents the day before, not like they were really concerned. His step-dad had been on another binger and his mom had checked out long ago. Zim knew that moving in with his Aunt wasn't ideal but it was better than how he was living. He only had a year and half left of high school then he could go wherever he pleased. Zim actually had a secret passion for writing, and his hope was go to a university with a program that aligned with his interests. Well then he would actually be forced to let people see his writing, but that was a problem for future Zim.

Shaking off the thoughts he hopped out of the car wearing a black shirt with black jeans, showing off a few tattoos he had on his forearm. He stepped up to the bookstore and walked in with a *chime* of the bell.

Hearing the bell chime made Sky immediately look up from the book she had open on the surface below her. What else could she do when the store was so quiet? Her eyes immediately darted to the tall, black haired boy who had just walked in, but in an attempt to not stare she gazed back down at the book.

Who is he? She wondered.

Usually she’d shoot a smile over to any customer that walked in but this guy didn’t seem like he’d be too fussed over a smile from a short girl behind the counter. There was only one or two other customers in the store, so she went back to reading the book but the presence of the unfamiliar boy stayed at the front of her mind.

When Zim walked in he didn't even see the girl, he stuffed his hands in his pockets he started to peruse the isles. He tried to remember the titles that his aunt had said. Why didn't she write this shit down? He thought, growing more frustrated by the minute while looking down a few isles. Submitting to defeat he decided to head to the front and ask the clerk thinking maybe they would have an idea, after all its a small town. Zim proceeded to walk up to the counter and noticed she was reading a book. Of course, reading a book in a bookstore. When he got closer he noticed how pretty she was, no, beautiful but he decided to keep those comments to himself. "Um excuse me..."

Sky of course heard his footsteps as he walked towards her, noticing him despite not looking up. As he spoke she looked up and offered a kind smile.

“Hi. Yes, uh, can I help?” She asked, stumbling over her words. What’s wrong with me? I’ve definitely just embarrassed myself.

She was certain that she would be bright red, all embarrassed and flustered. And for what reason? Sure she had never served a customer so handsome before but she was usually so sure of herself and confident whilst working, she’d never been embarrassed over stumbling over so mildly stumbling over her words. This was odd, what about this guy was making her so nervous. Maybe it wasn’t nervousness, maybe excitement? She didn’t know, she just knew that she’d never seen this guy before. He must be new to the town, or just visiting.

Last edited:
Zim noticed she seemed a little flustered, he was worried maybe he startled her. He put both his hands on the counter, "Would you happen know what books i'm supposed to have for Junior Lit at Riverton High? My aunt told me but I cannot remember at all..." He could either look really stupid, or the she could actually know what he's talking about. The girl seemed to be around his age though, hopefully she would have an idea.

Sky had to ignore the urge to bombarde him with questions, like if he was new to the school, how long he’d been there, if they knew each other, etcetera. But she had to assume he was new, and he didn’t look like the type of guy to love answering a train of questions. Her fluster showed no physical appearance other than her cheeks flushing a delicate pink underneath the few freckles dotted over her nose and cheeks. “Uh, yeah, actually! One moment.”

She stepped into the small room behind her and pulled out two stacks of books and placed them on the counter. She placed one hand gently on the left pile, a stack of a few separate books. “These are the individual ones, you can choose which one, or ones, you’d like to buy.” She then moved the hand onto the other stack, but this stack was wrapped up all together with brown parcel paper, with a label on the front. “This is all of the ones you’ll need, they’re at a discount if you buy them all together. We also have a 15 day return, where you can bring them back and get a full refund if they’re not what you’re looking for.” She finished talking with a soft smile, feeling more comfortable ever since he spoke to her. He didn’t seem so intimidating now. I hope that made sense. She awaited his response.

Zim watched the girl explain the books, taking a mental picture of the soft curve of her face. He had come in the store a little ill-tempered but her demeanor had softened him a bit. He wasn't sure but he had an inclination she also went to the school, based on how quickly she knew exactly what he was talking about. "Do you go to Riverton?" he asked, curious now. Totally ignoring the book question for the time being.

Sky nodded to his question, “I do. Do you? I’m sorry if you do…it’s just that I’ve never seen you before. Maybe you’re just really good at hiding.” She let out a gentle chuckle, but mentally facepalmed. She felt like she was completely embarrassing herself in front of him. That wasn’t even funny! Fiddling with the sleeve of her sweatshirt, she looked up at him as she awaited his answer.

(Okay! No problem, if I don’t reply for a while it’ll be because i’ve fallen asleep! But I love it so far too!)

Knew it, Zim thought. Chuckling a bit he looked down a moment then faced her again "no, i'm new... Just moved here last night, Names Zim. At least that's what I make everyone call me." He added, knowing that people always had something to say when it came to his name. "You?"

Sky nodded as he told her his name, making a mental note to never call him anything other than Zim. “I’m Skylar, but most people call my Sky. You can call me whatever you’d like, though.” She said, mentally scolding herself for sounding like she was desperate for a cool nickname like his. “It’s nice to meet you, Zim.” She added as if to turn the conversation back to him.

( Shall we fast-forward to the next day of school after this?)

Zim repeated the name in his head, not quite sure what he would want to call her yet. "Yeah you too, but um yeah i'll take the package deal." He stated, pointing at the brown parcel paper, wrapped very delicately. By the looks of Skylar, he'd bet that she did it. He held his tongue after, hoping that he wasn't too dismissive of their conversation, he truly felt like he was going to pass out any minute. Yet he hoped they crossed paths again after this interaction was done.

(Yeah, sounds good!)

Sky nodded, lightly pushing the wrapped up stack of books further towards him. She hoped the air didn’t become awkward as their conversation halted, she once again felt her cheeks heat up a little. Sneakily, she applied her employee discount- not sure why. She could get into trouble for doing that, but she liked this guy. Well, as much as you can like a guy after knowing him for five minutes. After that she looked up at him, “That’s just $20, please sir.” She said with a small smile on her face.

Zim winced a little to her formalness, he didn't mean to cut their time short, hoping she didn't think that way. "Yeah, um thanks." He said, handing her a $20 bill and gathering the package under one of his arms. He started towards the door then turned around for a quick second, "maybe i'll see you tomorrow?" he asked, walking backwards for a moment until he reached the entrance and let himself out. He walk toward the car with this feeling in his stomach that he didn't want to leave. She's just a girl.

The boy got in the car and carefully placed the book stack in the passenger seat and drove to his aunts house. He tried to retrace his steps in a way, taking a few turns out of town and into the neighborhoods. They clouds were gray and started forming a small mist at the top of the cars windshield. He had to get used to the rain, it was pretty much an everyday thing here. The weather was moody, like himself. When he parked in his aunts driveway he sat there for a moment, looking over to the pile of books he stretched his tattooed arm out and ran his hand over the paper. Hopefully school doesn't suck tomorrow , Zim thought with a sigh before gathering his stuff and heading inside for the night.

Sky simply just looked at him as he left, even when he spoke. She couldn’t bring herself to reply with anything other than a small nod, before slowly bringing up her hand to give him a subtle wave goodbye. But after he left, she found that she couldn’t stop smiling- why? But she ignored it, telling herself it was just another one of those silly crushes she got on boys at school all the time that passed a week later.

The rest of her shift went pretty quick, before she closed the store and headed home. She updated her parents on her day as usual, but left out the strikingly handsome boy who she couldn’t force out of her mind since she first saw him. She ate dinner with her parents, showered, did homework- all the usual stuff a 17 year old girl does on an evening before school.

Zim sat down at an empty desk in American Lit. The first part of his day had gone okay, he may have gotten lost once or twice but overall the school was pretty small. A few girls tried to talk to him during first period and he made small talk but he wasn't really in the mood. He slumped down in his chair a bit and tightened his grip around the stack of books he purchased yesterday. His black shirt tightened around his bicep as he looked down his arm at his tattoos. He had a half-sleeve down to his elbow then a few on his forearm, he had been itching to get some new ones to fill the empty space. He sighed and tried to keep his field of vision on the teachers desk while he waited for class to start, not really wanting to indulge in others conversations.

Usually Sky liked school, sure she got excited to learn stuff but other than that it could be a bit of a drag. But today she felt excited about the whole thing. In the morning she jumped out of bed and grinned at herself in the mirror, then she got dressed into an all black outfit (the one in her reference pic) but accessorised with gold jewellery in her ears, around her neck and rings on her fingers. She put only a little bit of makeup on and ran her fingers gently through her hair, but other than that left her appearance alone before heading to school. She didn’t see Zim the whole day, until American Lit. She walked in the classroom and felt happiness all throughout her body as she noticed him sat there. She was unsure if she should smile at him, say hello or something- but he looked pretty moody and decided it was best to leave him be. After all, she could just be playing it cool and pretending to not notice him. That was her plan, anyway. Not that she’d execute it too well. Sky walked into the classroom, everyone else had pretty much sat down. She flashed a gentle smile to the teacher and took her usual seat.

(I thought this might be the best way for them to get to know each other, we can change it if you wanna do something else (: )

Zim attention was caught at the door when he saw a familiar face walk in. He chuckled, is that the girl from yesterday? It was one of those moments where he thought it was her but he didn't want to be wrong and look stupid. Before he could decided in his mind the teacher started class. They would be starting a new novel, The Road, a book that Zim had seen in the stack he bought yesterday. He had read it before so hopefully this class would be smooth sailing.

The teacher explained that they would be having partners this unit, to read the book together and create a project around it. As she was explaining, Zim's mind was elsewhere. Being here reminded him of his old schools and his friends, he missed them in some ways. Maybe it was just that he had lived there so long he felt comfortable and it felt normal. Here it felt gloomy and strange, like a foggy dream. He was snapped out of his trance by his name being said.

"Skylar, you'll be partnered with Alexander, I mean Zim.. My apologies"

(This is perfect!! Don’t worry (: )

As soon as Sky was paired with Zim she realised her ‘playing cool’ shtick wasn’t going to last. That wasn’t her anyway, not who she actually was. By looking at Zim, she could’ve figured he’d be the one playing it cool anyway. She tried to send a kind smile over his way as the teacher mentioned his name, she tried to ignore the fact that the teacher just told everyone his actual name but it wasn’t like she was going to bring it up to him. He obviously preferred being called Zim, and Sky wouldn’t question that.

A lot of people began getting up out of their seats, moving to sit next to their partner. And so Sky did the same, picking up her bag and walking over to sit next to Zim.

“Hi.” She spoke quietly, looking at him.

Zim reddened at the sound of his full name. F-ing great.

He was so occupied with his name being said that he didn't even realize that it was her. The girl that he had met just the day before and may have thought about a few times, possibly more. He looked back at her, "hey.. long time no see." He spoke, cheeks still visibly red. He ran a hand through his hair and kept the other on his desk. "What a coincidence huh."

"Big coincidence." She said, trying to keep her voice sounding as warm and friendly as possible. She could only imagine what the first day at a new school was like, especially being the only one, not really knowing who anyone is. But she refrained from sharing her sympathy with him, he seemed beyond capable of being able to handle himself. She couldn't help but admire his slightly reddened cheeks, the tattoos on his arm and the way his shirt tightened around it.

She quickly wanted to spark up conversation again, most likely so that she wouldn't get lost in admiration whilst looking at him. "Have you read this book before?" She asked.

Zim watched her as she spoke, she really was beautiful. The way her hair framed her face, her deep blue eyes, and she knew just how to dress to accentuate it all. He almost noticed that Skylar didn't wear a ton of makeup, and he liked that. Sometimes girls seemed more clown than woman these days.

"Actually yeah, I think I read it a few years ago but I may need to skim it to brush up on the details." The dark boy spoke. He was hearing conversations around him from other partners about them meeting up later to discuss their plan for the project. Zim didn't like partners projects very much, in his experience he always ended up doing all the work then his partner to go f- themselves. He had a suspicion that Skylar wasn't like that and maybe this would be more enjoyable than he imagined.

"Is there any place later we could meet up to plan a course of action? I'n this very.. very small town." He asked, facetiously.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back