• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Realistic or Modern one x one - teen roleplay

"Yeah, I know a few places. Since it is such a small town there are pretty much always people everywhere, but I know somewhere we could go. That is if you don't mind it just being us two, if that's a problem we could meet up at Cath's Cafe, it's on the corner near the bookstore, I don't know if you saw it. It can get a little busy, it's a popular place. it's up to you." She replied, looking at him the whole time. She found it difficult to not lose her train of thought when talking to him, there were so many pretty things to look at on him which could distract her.

Zim's suggestion pleased Sky, it reassured her that he was going to partake equally as much as she was in this project. Similarly to his experience, Sky had often been abandoned to do the bulk of the work whilst her partner sat there and took the credit for it.

( Sorry for the late responses! I got a kitten today aha)

Zim didn't really think it mattered if they were alone or not, he felt comfortable with her so he probably wouldn't need a way out. "Hmmm.. Does Cath's Cafe have good milkshakes?" He asked, hoping that would be the case. When he was really young thats what his mom used to buy for him when things were good, now it's just become sort of a comfort food. He would also be grateful for the distraction to work on a project, he didn't really want to go back and be with his aunt all night. Before this came up he figured he was just going to take a drive to ease his mind instead.

Sky nodded, “They’re pretty good. You’ll have to see for yourself.” She smiled at him, “We could meet there, then?” She suggested, excited that she’d be able to see him after school. But she kept her excitement hidden, in fear that it would scare him off if she seemed too enthusiastic about something as simple as meeting up in a cafe to do a project. Though she couldn’t help but be excited, this was a guy who she’d not been able to stop thinking about since they first met and now she gets the perfect excuse to hang out with him after school. Ordinarily, Sky would’ve been way too anxious to go up to him and make conversation in the hallway- so this situation was great.

(Aww that’s great! No need to apologise!)

(Thanks (: .... So I was thinking, what kind of drama should we eventually throw in? Maybe Skylars parents don't approve of him? Or something happens with Zim's family?)

Zim nodded, accepting her challenge. "Yeah, how about 7 o'clock?" he suggested, thinking about how he aunt told him she's making dinner and he didn't want to break the poor women's heart and tell her he has other plans. Zim's aunt was a sweet women, sister to his mother. She moved to this town as a young woman with her husband and has lived here ever since but she has been lonely since her spouse passed about 8 years ago. I think she took ZIm in because she knew the damage her sister had done on him and she wished she had stepped in sooner.

The bell rung and others were gathering their stuff, "i'll hold you to your word on that milkshake", he said pointing to Skylar before gathering his stuff, throwing his jacket over his shoulder and heading out to whatever joyous class was next. He smiled to himself, kind of looking forward to this evening plan.

(Ooo I think Skylar's parents disapproving of Zim would be a good one!! And the more drama the better, honestly, so something happening with Zim's family would work really well too. I was also thinking at some point maybe if they had to stop talking, or if they drifted apart and stopped seeing each other, or an argument or just something bad happened between them then there could be some other romantic interests. This could tie in with both of their issues, like her parents stop her from seeing him or something or maybe Zim dealing with family stuff has a big impact on them too! There are so many possibilities, lol!!)

Sky nodded at his suggestion with a smile, excited to be able to see him. And now she had something to look forward to that wasn't spending hours in a quiet bookstore. Sure she would hang out with her friends sometimes, but mainly that was on the weekend. Her friendship group was kind of dating, basically she was only friends with couples. She loved her friends but it was kind of painful to spend all of her time with them when they were in happy relationships and she'd never been in a serious one, and she was sure that couples wouldn't like a single girl third wheeling and hanging around them all the time.

She watched Zim as he left the classroom, and was greeted by one of her friends, Olivia, heading over to her excitedly. "Sky! Who is that?" She asked impatiently.

"Just a guy in this class, and I may have met him yesterday in the bookstore too. He's new, his name is Zim." Sky replied, unaware of the growing smile on her face. Together, her and Olivia walked to class together gossiping about anything and everything in the short two minute walk, before they took their seats next to each other in class.

( YES YES YES I love how you think. Maybe we're nearing the end of Junior year and this rift happens at the start of summer and they don't see each other until senior year starts?)

Zim arrived home and swung his bag on the floor and collapsed on his new bed. It wasn't an eventful day but just trying to get around a new place was exhausting. He glanced around his aunts guest room, it was very 80s with a wintergreen printed comforter and wallpaper. She told him he could make changes if he wished but he had a feeling that the room was decorated with her and her late husband and it may hold some sentimental value to it. There was an office space that was pretty empty that he may try to make his own. Without realizing he was even tired, he shut his eyes and began a shallow sleep.

He awoke to the patter of rain hitting the window, he glanced over at the clock and Zim could faintly make out red numbers that read 6:45. Shit he thought, racing out of bed and into the bathroom to run some water thru his hair and brush his teeth. He grabbed his bag and bounded pass his aunt on the way out, "you looked so peaceful I couldn't wake you you!" he heard her say. "Sorry Aunt April, rain check? I have to go meet someone for a project." She nodded and he flashed her a grin before exiting the house.

(Ooo yes!! During summer they aren't forced to see each other because they're not at school so they never really resolve what happened? And with mixing in other romantic interests there can be jealousy and them realising that if theyre jealous they must still have some sort of feelings for the other- it could be great!!)

Sky got to the cafe early, she had a book and a little cup of coffee so she didn't mind waiting. Coffee probably wasn't the best idea to have, she was already feeling nervous with butterflies swarming in her stomach about seeing Zim. Something about him just made her feel like a different person, excited, adventurous. It was weird, only because no one had made her feel like this before and she knew nothing about him. But the book she read kept her thoughts at bay for a while. She felt like she was in an indie film; rain pattering on the cafe windows, feeling all warm inside with a cup of coffee and delving into a book. And anyone would've said she had the looks to be in a film, anyway.

She forced herself to not constantly check the time, it was only 6:45- why was she panicking? He didn't seem like the kind of guy to stand someone up, or did he? It's not even 7, yet, Sky. Calm down.

Despite not checking the time, her eyes frequently darted over to the door of the cafe, waiting for him to arrive.

(Yess, perfect!)

The clock struck 7:00 just as Zim stepped his foot in the door. He scanned the room and found a bound of wavy brown hair at one of the front tables which he deducted as Skylar. He strolled over to her, wearing the clothes he had on at school this morning. "Hey!", he sat down across from her and put his bag next to him on the stool. "Ahh, every time I run into you you seem to have your nose in a book." He chuckled, looking into her eyes.

(Woo! How fast do you want it to happen? I don't mind doing timeskips at all, just for future reference, so you don't need to hesitate suggesting one! (: )

Sky looked up from her book with a smile, closing it and putting it into her bag as they spoke to one another. "Well, what else is there to do?" She grinned, looking back into his eyes.

"Have you thought about the project at all? I've had a few ideas but none set in stone yet. We have a while to do it, so there's no rush. But I don't want us to have to panic and rush to do it a couple of days before it's due. I also hope we don't have to present it in front of the class, that would be a nightmare for me." She spoke, then realised she was most likely rambling on about stuff no one other than her cared about, so she quickly refrained from continuing her train of thought aloud.

(Hmm i'm thinking maybe after this date we can time skip to them being closer as they worked on the project more. Then she tries to bring Zim home for dinner? We can time skip in-between there, I think I want to add in something with Zim's family first.. Maybe she comforts hims and that's when they start being exclusive and more romantic?)

Zim had his chin resting on his fist, watching her talk. He suddenly didn't feel interested in the project at all, just her. "Well then we might just have to find a new kind of fun ourselves Ms. Hart." He spoke, matter-of-factly. "Lets put the project stuff on hold for a minute.. " He waved down a nearby waitress, "two strawberry milkshakes please unless you'd prefer another flavor?" He asked, looking to Skylar.

(Ooo yes sounds perfect!)

Sky shook her head. "Strawberry is perfect." She grinned at him, then turned to smile at the waitress. At the same time she was blushing at the fact he called her Ms. Hart. He knows my last name!!

She watched as the waitress walked away to get their order, then looked back at him. "How was your first day at the school?" She asked with genuine interest. She was hoping he liked it, or that it at least wasn't awful. She really wanted him to stay at this school, obviously she didn't know why he moved here in the first place but she knew she would feel sad if he left.

Zim thought about Skylar's question before answering. "It was alright, i've only got a year and a couple months left so i'm sure I can manage. I'm ready to move on from high school." He declared, looking around to see if the waitress was coming back yet. He was really craving something sweet, especially since he skipped diner. "How about you ms. bookstore, what are you plans after were done?" Since they'd met he had tried to guess what kind of girl Skylar was. He noticed her shyness and love for books, I mean why else would you want to work at a bookstore. He also took note of the neatness of her clothes and her cross necklace. Religious? The question crossed his mind, trying to put the pieces together about who this girl was.

Sky simply shrugged. "I haven't really ever thought about it." She lied. She just didn't like telling people what she actually wanted to do. Her parents were desperate for her to become something well paid and respectable, she kind of just wanted to make art. To draw, be creative, have fun- no matter how impractical it may be when it came to actually living off of the money she would get from it. She'd also considered writing, dreamt of having her books published in the most renowned bookstores, being an international bestseller. But she always kept that to herself.

"Hoping I get good grades. Maybe go to college, not sure what I'd actually do there. For someone who plans everything, my future is still a huge mystery." She chuckled nervously. It was definitely something she would have to start thinking about soon. But what could she do? No way her parents would support her going to college to do art, and even then she didnt think she was any good. Maybe they would support her doing writing, it was something that she would need to bring up but she was scared it would cause some sort of argument or tension between her and her parents. She was terrified of disappointing them, she always felt as though they did her a massive favour by adopting her, and she needed to make it up to them by making them proud.

Last edited:
The waitress came as soon as Skylar finished speaking and set down two identical milkshakes. Zim immediately slid his over to himself and popped a straw in, taking a sip. There seemed to be a distant sadness about her, something that he could not quite put his finger on. "I think staying in this small town forever would drive anyone crazy, so college could be a good idea." He added, thinking of his own future. He wanted to be an editor, be immersed within creative people, and looking at peoples work all and a deciding what was good enough? Sign him up. The boy took another sip, "you did not disappoint these are delicious." He added, with a smirk. "Have you ever been to the big city?" he asked, referring to Seattle.

Sky nodded in agreement with him. She did want to go to college, it would be good for her as it would be such a huge change. "I'm glad they live up to your standards." She grinned, pushing a straw into her own milkshake and taking a sip, a smile growing on her face. She'd never ordinarily order a milkshake for herself, this was a nice treat. "Nope, never been to the big city. My parents aren't big on busy places, they like it here, small, quiet, everyone knows everyone. Which is understandable, but it'd be nice to go. I'm a little too scared to go by myself. Don't want to get lost." She smiled. "Have you?" She asked him curiously, hoping he had. She'd love to hear about it.

"I've been once when I was little, we were visiting my Aunt April and she took us up there." He spoke, thinking of fond memories when his family actually acted like a family. "I'm from the east coast, I lived with my mom and step-dad and now...." he trailed off feeling as if he shared to much. The thought of his family brought a slight heaviness to his lungs, sometimes it was so bad he felt as if he couldn't catch a breath. Zim quickly shook off the feeling, he was with a beautiful girl drinking maybe one of the best milkshakes he'd ever had. Yet, he knew that just sitting here wouldn't be enough. Without warning he stood up, "lets get out of here," he opened is wallet and placed a few bills on the table, enough the cover their drinks and more. He then looked at her and held his hand out, as a gesture, "do you trust me?"

Sky looked into his eyes as he spoke, she knew what he was saying weighed heavy on him, she could tell. She wanted to comfort him in a way but that'd be strange, especially since she was relying on his demeanour to determine that this was a difficult thing for him to talk about. She took a big sip of her milkshake once he stood up, almost sad she couldn't finish it. She placed her hand in his, "No, but I have a feeling that I have no other choice." She smiled cheekily at him, standing up and letting him lead her away.

Zim grinned back at her and led her thru the cafe and out into his car. It had been his uncles car, now his aunts, a black 1980s AMG Hammer. He hopped in after her and turned the car on, "i'd put your seat belt on... Because uh the first thing I like to do in towns i've never been is drive really really fast." He teased, mostly because he definitely didn't do that in every town he's been to. It was just something he liked to do to clear his mind and hoped Skylar would play along.

With such sensible parents and no wild friends, Sky had never gone above the speed limit in a car before, so of course she was filled with a mixed feeling of excitement and nervousness. She put on her seatbelt and looked at him. "You do realise you'll forever be known in this town as the guy who drove really really fast. That the reputation you want?" She teased. "Nice car, by the way." She complimented, eyes scanning the interior. Sky could drive, she just didn't have a car. In a town so small, there wasn't really anywhere she had to drive to, so it would just be an expensive purchase.

Zim smirked at her comment, "I will gladly take that reputation." With that he hit the gas and they bounded off, he wanted to head out of town and into the woods. He rolled down the windows, it was a decent night temperature wise and he wanted to feel the rain hit his skin. He picked up one of the cd's he brought from home and popped it into the cd player that he uncle must have installed before his passing. It started playing a few songs but Zim skipped to the one he wanted, San Franciso by the Mowgli's. Zim turned it up louder, and let out a holler as he put both hands on the wheel again and speed off down the coast.

Sky giggled as they zoomed down the coast, watching him happily for a minute before closing her eyes, enjoying the feeling of going fast, the rain splattering on her face and the sound of the music chiming in her ears. She felt as if this was very out of character for her, a typical weeknight for her would consist of sitting in her bedroom, reading, drawing, listening to music before having dinner with her family, maybe watching some tv with them before going back to doing the former tasks; all before heading off to sleep at a reasonable time. But the anxieties from doing something new, perhaps rebellious in her mind, were completely stripped from her conscience when her eyes landed on Zim. He made her feel like everything was good, and nothing bad would happen.

He looked over at Skylar and beamed at her happiness, and couldn't help but chuckle a little as well. Zim felt free, more than he had been in a long time. The dark boy was glad he had someone to share it with. It blew all his anxieties away and he just felt the revv of the engine and the benefit of good company. They drove for a little while until Zim decided that it was enough, he started to head back towards town and then veered off on the side of the road and parked. Zim looked over at her, "thanks for trusting me." He said, wholeheartedly.

She smiled. "I'm glad I did. That was really nice." She said, nudging him gently. "I'm sure we can think of how this benefits our project in some way." She joked. "Are you hungry at all?" She asked him, looking into his eyes. She wanted to spend more time with him, she didn't want this night to end. She felt really happy, joyful and calm.

( Maybe they have a great time eating/talking and then we fast forward a few weeks?)

His skinned burn where she had touched him, he felt lighter inside when she was around, and he wasn't quite ready for it to end either. "Yes! I'm starving, where to?" He asked, hand already on the the keys and ready to turn on the ignition.

(Sounds good!)

She grinned, "I know a good place. It's a little diner, they do everything you could possibly want! They also do milkshakes, if you wanted another. It's down this road for a short while, then a couple of lefts. I'll be your personal map." Sky smiled. "I'm afraid after that I'll have to head home, my parents won't be too happy with me staying out for so long otherwise." Her smile turned a little sad, but that was only because she'd have to say bye to him.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back