• If your recruitment thread involves completely going off site with your partner(s) then it belongs in the Off-Site Ad Area.
  • This area of the site is governed by the official Recruitment rules. Whether you are looking for players or looking for a roleplay, we recommend you read them and familiarize your self with them. Read the Recruitment Rules Here.

One piece: To world's end

still watching fma

Elder Member
So I love one piece and I fell in love with DnD. I do think DnD can be adapted to one piece fairly well. For instance, a normal person's Armor class can be 10 normally. It can be 20 when they bring out their swords to defend, and 100 if they are logia v.s a non haki attack. Other things are if we homebrew each player's abilities level by level, you can create and adapt your abilities based on what you want to accomplish. So an example of a level 1 and 2 ability(would be spell in DnD).

level 1: Gum gum bazooka
1 action
Player latches onto a sturdy object such as the railing of a ship or a big boulder to stretch their arms out as they walk forward. Then using their own strength, the player releases their arms out forward to send their fists flying toward their target. Strength and Dexterity modifiers are taken into account. Roll a 1d4 if you hit with one fist and a 2d4 if you hit with two.

This is what I'd consider a starter spell. It requires the gum gum user to use their environment to create the necessary force to send people flying like he did in the anime. It takes his attributes into account.

level 2: Gum gum rifle
1 action
Player swings their arm back and keep its straight so that it can stretch out before being sent back to their target as a punch. Strength and dex modifiers are taken into account. Roll a 1d6.

Here can see the difference between Luffy meeting big alva vs his fight against don krieg. So I think it will be fun to see players create bigger and better abilities(spells) that do a multitude of things. Spells in dnd have a bunch of benefits and weaknesses. Thunderwave for instance, creates a sound that can be heard for several feet, does collateral damage, and can make a room very messy. A move from one piece such as gum gum gatling gun, most likely would exhuast a player, destroys stuff around them(including players), and would require them to be locked in for two turns. This would make the attack deadly both for the target and the caster, who cant defend or dodge during that time.

I also believe that DnD at its base is simple.
1. Roll a 20 sided dice
2. see if its higher than the target's armor class
3. do damage

This could really help make the rp feel more like one piece. We don't have to worry about overpowered since the dice decide what happens. And hp is really useful for when you have really tanky characters who get shot, stabbed, and burned alive...yet they seem to still be alive. In DnD that's an endurance check and having at least one hp lol. I think DnD can make the absurd world of one piece come to life by giving the players choice and the ability to write their own crazy scenarios....and possibly lose doing it. It offers a lot of customization and freedom to the players and it's just fun being a bad guy that can try to kill his players, but also be happy when they beat him.

This will require a lot of tweaking. Mostly with player's desired powers. But if you want a structured rp that takes gold and exp points into account, this might be up your alley. I still want this to be a narrative rp, but it's a narrative rp where you can die.

The plot: The former pirate queen, Esmeralda D. Antonio Santiago, proclaimed the world is flat and that she left her treasure at the end of the world. With a grin befitting a devil, crimson flowed from her skewered body as energized cheers flowed from her audience. Tales of a woman who fought naval fleets with one hand tied behind her back still float through taverns now and then. Most believe she accomplished this with her treasure. Others thought she could use her treasure to hire people to give her powers, such as the mad scientist who brought his wife back to life in the new world. One thing's for sure, the masses wanted this treasure for the simple fact that it represented a golden ticket, in a dog eat dog world, where the strong oppressed the weak. So now pirates from all around the world set sail for the grand line, searching for one piece, the treasure that will make their dreams come true. :3

Could work, as you said some tweaks would be needed but overall I think rules would be needed to keep from a logia just wrecking shit each time.
If a guy has 100% to avoid non haki shit that would mean that logia has trained to the point of instantly turning liquid/smoke/dirt etc at any threat.

Paramicia is somewhat the same, bomb fruit makes you able to explode any part of your body (including breath and spit) as well as be immune to explosions.

Devil fruits are such a mixed bag that everyone can find a way to make sense of their character winning every time and wanting to modify the roll same as a logia type might.

Include haki and that's probably another dice roll to determine strength of that but yea. Seems alot of work to gm and discord dice usually likes to shit on random chance haha

That's my opinion but overall I could get behind this if people join and we determine a fair rule set for the varying characters.

Could work, as you said some tweaks would be needed but overall I think rules would be needed to keep from a logia just wrecking shit each time.
If a guy has 100% to avoid non haki shit that would mean that logia has trained to the point of instantly turning liquid/smoke/dirt etc at any threat.

Paramicia is somewhat the same, bomb fruit makes you able to explode any part of your body (including breath and spit) as well as be immune to explosions.

Devil fruits are such a mixed bag that everyone can find a way to make sense of their character winning every time and wanting to modify the roll same as a logia type might.

Include haki and that's probably another dice roll to determine strength of that but yea. Seems alot of work to gm and discord dice usually likes to shit on random chance haha

That's my opinion but overall I could get behind this if people join and we determine a fair rule set for the varying characters.
I mean it's a lot more than spells. You have to come up with unarmed damages, ranges, and stamina(to name a few things). Oh boy in one piece luffy fought for probably 12 hours at enies lobby spamming his skills. So we definitely can't use the generic spell slot from vanilla DnD. But I think this would be a worth while experience, even if it's just a few dedicated fans who got behind this.

Also the example was crude in regards to logia, but it was an example. I would say that's more of mid tier level(level 10) thing, while level 1's would need high dex to shift their bodies at will. And a 1, critical failure if we use it, might lead to them not even using it. Who knows. I got a bunch of balance ideas but nothing an interest check can cover.

Work isn't the issue. I just want a bunch of motivated peeps who can stick it out till at least level 4, which is the right before tier 2 characters. If we like it, we can go the whole nine yards or until it perishes.

I only know dnd through Harmonquest, I'm not the one to discuss rules with on the actual game haha

As a potential player I'd be more interested in some general ground rules as most people making a character picture them with a fruit or some awesome ability.
Bomb fruit is the easiest favourite I can think of.
That said it'd be easier for people to send you a character and you explain the rules that apply to them. As making and typing of rules for every fruit and physical mental whatever is alot of work

As a potential player I'd be more interested in some general ground rules as most people making a character picture them with a fruit or some awesome ability.
Bomb fruit is the easiest favourite I can think of.
That said it'd be easier for people to send you a character and you explain the rules that apply to them. As making and typing of rules for every fruit and physical mental whatever is alot of work
Well general rules can be sorted out once I get three or four interested people. A lot of that is just busy work and tweaking things to fit basic DnD rules. As for people having fruits and abilities, I probably will just randomize it. I could also just give people the freedom to choose their fruits of choice and then discuss the parameters of their abilities after. Trust me, once you see the basic tweaks, it will become a lot easier to choose a potential fruit. This being said, I don't even have spell slot rule in place, so you don't know if a fruit that hits hard the first time is better(bombu, gura) or if a spammable power set like rokushiki is better. Hell you don't even know if going fruitless is the best course of action. but that should really only take a day or two to draft and discuss with my players.

So lemme give you a taste of my vision for this rp.

You want the bomb fruit. First off I'm going to have players create their base abilities(spells). You're going to decide if you want haki or if you want a fruit. Next you have to decide what abilities to make. Unlike DnD, you will have to draft up some ideas. Maybe you start off with a booger flicking ability like the baroque guy. Give me what you want and we can discuss it from there. This gives you a ton of power, but it gives you an incentive to plan your character and create what you want. Maybe you want a martial artist who uses bombu instead of a long range fighter. That's for you to decide and for me to moderate.

Secondly, while I do plan on giving two new abilities per level. You can train during downtime to create new tweaks to abilities or new abilities in general.

So no, we don't have to consider what every fruit in existence does. Let's say you wanted to use the phoenix fruit. At first glance this seems incredibly overpowered and incompatible with DnD. However, I could say have healing abilities. You roll the dice, maybe 2d6 at level 2, and gain that hp back after damage calculation. This could be great for a team player who wants to save their teammate.

now in normal DnD, you heal before damage is done and if you go below 0, you can't do anything. But with this power, you can go negative and if that heal brings you above 0, you aren't knocked out. If it doesn't, you get knocked out and have to do death saving throws. This example is inspired by Marco vs Kizaru. There was a limit to his abilities because even after the seastone cuff was taken off, he was battered and struggling to survive. You could say that when he tanked Akainu to save luffy after ace's death, that was the moment when he might go below 0 and become incapacitated. In the rp, at a moment like that, you're rolling to see if you survive or if you flame heal back to full. :3

So all we need to do is decide on the rules for your fruit. That's all that matters. Now I know that's kind of sacrilege as DnD is basically a heavy lore game where the line between stats and lore is blurred. So when you think of tarasques, vampires, and goblins...you have stats to reference. I don't mind doing this for each fruit, but i don't anticipate the need to. I think part of the charm is just after character creation, you guys meet the owners of the other fruits and duke it out going in blind.

I hope that response helps alleviate concerns to a point.

Last edited:
Id be interested in giving this a shot, though how would you deal with no damage abilities? still only 1 per level so needing to choose between utility or damage etc? A discord may be best to talk over ideas in general. For example with fruits, you would maybe have DR/Haki given Luffy would have vastly improved DR against things like Bludgeon and Electricity Immunity etc.

There is also certain Fruits would effectively give you a Subtype/Template with effects that could be worked out but yeah alot up in the air, as well as custom weapons/dials etc, If there would be classes/skills that have point investments, personal bonuses to certain skills etc. A issue that there was in other OP systems ive played was if you invested in skills you ended up useless in a fight due to eating up points/feats.

If i did make a character it would potentially be a Doctor type i think, or a Cook with the ideas i have. Depends which works out best.

(Sorry if a bit scattered, bit tired at the moment in how im typing)

Id be interested in giving this a shot, though how would you deal with no damage abilities?
Any in particular that you're worried about? There's a lot of things in a lot of situations that I feel need to be sorted out, but I'm mostly addressing them as they're brought up while waiting for players.

A discord may be best to talk over ideas in general.
I'll send you both a link to a discord so we can talk it over.

For example with fruits, you would maybe have DR/Haki given Luffy would have vastly improved DR against things like Bludgeon and Electricity Immunity etc.
Probably. Monsters in DnD already have certain immunities and damage reduction. Undead are a pain to kill with swords and swarms are deadly without elemental damage. So it's no biggie. That's something I'd work out once the player has chosen the gum gum fruit and it's something that is easily adaptable into the enemies you'd be fighting.

as well as custom weapons/dials
If you can make a magic weapon, you can make a custom dial. :3

If there would be classes/skills that have point investments, personal bonuses to certain skills
This is where I have to do the most thinking, but I'm not going to pour my soul into something without knowing if I have players who are interested.

A issue that there was in other OP systems ive played was if you invested in skills you ended up useless in a fight due to eating up points/feats.
I don't know what points you are talking about, but I won't make that mistake. My intention is to run an op rp with a bit of tension due to the randomness of dice. Not to gimp anyone

If i did make a character it would potentially be a Doctor type i think, or a Cook with the ideas i have. Depends which works out best.
Sounds fun, I'll make sure to make utility worth while.

You know, this seems like a crazy idea. To give players a lot of potency in terms of what they can do.

One of my worries about it would be players trying to outdo themselves with powers and abilities and fruits and stuff.

That said! I really like crazy ideas. Send me a link to discord, and I'll see about joining in. I'm no dnd expert, but I know enough to play. And got a Proficiency in winging-it.

You know, this seems like a crazy idea. To give players a lot of potency in terms of what they can do.

One of my worries about it would be players trying to outdo themselves with powers and abilities and fruits and stuff.

That said! I really like crazy ideas. Send me a link to discord, and I'll see about joining in. I'm no dnd expert, but I know enough to play. And got a Proficiency in winging-it.
Sir yes dinosaur, SIR

Yeah one concept involved a undead fruit type, another was size change based. Will see what works when mashing out system. Maybe some stuff can be a cantrip, or even take a look at how some of time of battle worked.

I'm interested and I have an idea on a potential Character. I'll need to think on how the character will work as they will have eaten the Toki-Toki Fruit (if it is allowed as it is an in-cannon fruit and because of what it could, potentially, do in the hands of someone with enough imagination).

The game was cancelled for the most part due to issues working out the system for the finer details of the world, I was on the discord when such occurred though if it starts up again i am still interested.

Sad to hear that this didn't work out. Should you ever try something like this again I'd love to partake in it.

Also, if the issue was adapting DnD to work with the One Piece universe, have you considered running other systems?

For example, I've been told that BESM works pretty good for things like this (although I have admittedly never tried it) or you could take a look at One Piece D20 which, as the name implies, was specifically created to run One Piece campaigns.

This was one of the suggestions, however, the issue was raised regarding the familiarity with the running system for the GM due to not knowing the others. Personally i found One Piece D20 to be very limiting and had issues in which people would need to handicap themselves in order to provide the needed professions with how those ate into the same feats used for other stuff. Other systems mentioned were Apocalypse World based such as that one, Dungeon World or making their own based on that system (wasnt sure if anyone had one for that system already but would not be suprising with how many are out there).

Yea, I'm still very new to ttrp's. DnD was my first system and even then I'm still learning new things. I wouldn't be able to run a game under a new system. But I could co-gm and be the story guy if someone wanted to take the reigns with the mechanics.

That was one of the reasons i suggested a dungeon world game since that system actually has a system in it for players to add lore to the world, and lore is generated partially by players rolls. A failure is not always that the character messed up, but that the circumstances changed or there was something unexpected that caused it for example. There is also something i like with the concept behind the system and the "GM Rules" baked into its variants.

Be a fan of the players, Give everyone Agency etc. Other example is when creating a NPC in that system you simply need the name and their Drive/Motivation then the rest is played out for the most part.

That was one of the reasons i suggested a dungeon world game since that system actually has a system in it for players to add lore to the world, and lore is generated partially by players rolls. A failure is not always that the character messed up, but that the circumstances changed or there was something unexpected that caused it for example. There is also something i like with the concept behind the system and the "GM Rules" baked into its variants.

Be a fan of the players, Give everyone Agency etc. Other example is when creating a NPC in that system you simply need the name and their Drive/Motivation then the rest is played out for the most part.
Yer free to lead the way if you want lol

I mean i could try though the thing with Dungeon World is the Mechanics and the Story are HEAVILY connected. Its a really simple one though so maybe give it a shot with some one shots and figure out if you like it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back