• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Fandom One piece roleplay: gm and dice thread

Bacon is fluffy

Wut'n th'name of davy jonez lockr is uh sall-add?
Okay folks so there are three purposes for this thread. The first is dice:

1. Roll appropriate dice, mostly D20 for dealing with a npc without a fight. The second is a D10 when you're actually fighting them.
2. Link your roll to the ic that it pertains to for record keeping purposes.

The second thing is for me mostly. I'll be presenting someone with an option when I see fit and they can either opt out of the situation and deal with the positive or negative consequences, or they can roll to test their luck. Not all gm challenges are mandatory.

The third is to request a roll request when the situation fits your skill set. Anyone who rolls voluntarily based on their skill set will be rewarded based on the merit of their roll decision. I.E: You can roll to snipe something to change the course of the story or simply roll to try and escape a dire situation.

----

Combat rules
Why dice
Combat in this rp will be a mix of narrative and dice rolls. The big difference between a regular rp where the players have complete control of whether they succeed or not, is now they have a dice roll that decides that for them. I believe this will help keep the rp's outcome unbiased, allow people to have stronger characters, and even make it feel a little more like a game. Because now if there's direct confrontation between two people, they have a limited number of resources at their disposal to make something happen. That could play very well into drama and make the stakes feel more real, as opposed to one person choosing to lose.

The basics
Grunts in the rp do not require rolls unless I specify it as a condition. You can generally beat the crap out of them and they won't be able to do anything to you. Grunts serve purposes:
1.Serve story purposes
2. To practice your powers on
3.To serve as a deterrent. If you end up invoking the wrath of an entire island, grunts actually become a threat. They go from fodder to people you need to roll dice against.

Healing generally comes from resting, refreshment, and doctors.
You recover 1/2 of your hp by sleeping.
You recover 3/4 of your hp by eating
You recover all of your hp by having a doctor work on you.
The latter two methods of healing only recover 1/4 each individually.

The Dice
There will be times when an npc is just being a pain in the butt and you don't want to deal with them. Well you have a choice vs some and a chance versus others. Whether we're talking about entering a bar without being stopped in a busy street or fighting at marine ford, every npc can be dealt with easily and instantly. If you just want to pick pocket them without having to alert them, roll against their threshold.

Roll 1 D20 dice for npc's level 5 and under. Whether you succeed or fail, THIS MUST BE RP'd

Note: mobs will have levels that correspond to these levels.
Second note: These numbers are the threshhold you must beat on a D20 when interacting with this npc.
Grunt: none
Level 1 npc: 5
Level 2 npc: 6
Level 3 npc:8
Level 4 npc:10
Level 5 npc:12

When things become a fight and you want to avoid it when applicable: For instance that guard you tried to pick pocket caught you and now is chasing you. On your next turn after the gm posts the gaurd's response, you may:
1. Go to the dice thread.
2. Roll against its level minus 2
ex: A level 1 guard needs a roll of a 3 to escape it. THIS MUST BE RP'D

When things become a fight and you don't have a choice: You failed to flee or it's a boss fight.
1. Go to dice thread
2. Roll a 10 sided dice
3. Every roll above 5 is a successful attack,you deal 5 damage by default.
4. Your npc also deals 5 damage unless stated otherwise in the confrontation post.

Level 1 hp:4
Level 2 hp:8
Level 3 hp:12
Level 4 hp:16
Level 5 hp:20

All other rolling opportunities will against player requested encounters or gm imposed obstacles. For instance if a player wants to explore a vault listed in chapter overview, they may take it on. Each of their rolls for voluntarily taking it it will have a +2 toward completing that task. However when the gm imposes a challenge, all rolls have a -1 and are random. Basically when I feel like being a dick :3

Devil fruit powers need to be invoked via dice. Devil fruits are subject to similar rules for fighting rules,but they can be used for utility purposes as well. How successful you are depends on your luck.
1. Go to dice thread
2. Roll 1 D20 dice
3. Apply modifiers
4. Any roll above 9 will succeed for utility purposes
5. Any roll above 11 will succeed for combat purposes without any changes to battle conditions.
6. Combat requires a Rookie

Dat ranks
An overview of ranks is give everything a sense of progression. One big mistake I made with my pokemon rp was not having ranks, so y'all will be my guinea pigs. Ranks be split between player ranks and special skill ranks that are applicable to everyone else.

latest
Novice:
HP: 50-80
Damage: 5-8
Number of attacks:2 -3
Exp tokens to spend:3
You may spend 1 token to get 1 bonus damage.
You may spend 1 token for 10 bonus hp.
You may spend 3 tokens for 1 extra attack aka dice roll.
Concerning devil fruits: See devil fruit levels
Concerning haki: Dormant
How to level up: Gain 5 exp.

Rookie:
HP: 50-110
Damage: 5-11
Number of attacks:2-3
Exp tokens to spend:3
You may spend 1 token to get 1 bonus damage.
You may spend 1 token for 10 bonus hp.
No change, max of 3 here. You may still buy your third if you didn't for novice.
Concerning devil fruits: See Devil fruit levels
Concerning haki: Dormant
How to level up: Gain 5 exp.

Devil fruits
Level 0: Default, requires 5 exp to reach level 1
Perk: All rolls carry a -2 modifier

Level 1: requires Novice, Need 10 exp to reach level 2
Perk: modifier = -1 instead of -2

Level 2:Requires Rookie, Needs 15 exp to reach level 3
Perk: Modifier -1, can be used for combat

Haki: Dormant until Paradise, we'll have a chapter just for awakening its basic potential

DEM EXP BRO
Every chapter we complete is 5 exp.
Every side task you take on voluntarily is 5 exp.
Training montages get you 5 exp, fun ones get 10 exp Word minimum:500 words
You can think of these as extra credit. Everyone will rank up every 2 or 3 chapters depending on our pace.

Max bonus exp gained during chapters:
Chapter 1: 5

Last edited:
Okay folks so there are three purposes for this thread. The first is dice:

1. Roll appropriate dice, mostly D20 for dealing with a npc without a fight. The second is a D10 when you're actually fighting them.
2. Link your roll to the ic that it pertains to for record keeping purposes.

The second thing is for me mostly. I'll be presenting someone with an option when I see fit and they can either opt out of the situation and deal with the positive or negative consequences, or they can roll to test their luck. Not all gm challenges are mandatory.

The third is to request a roll request when the situation fits your skill set. Anyone who rolls voluntarily based on their skill set will be rewarded based on the merit of their roll decision. I.E: You can roll to snipe something to change the course of the story or simply roll to try and escape a dire situation.

----

First official gm challenge.

Joker987 Joker987

You're being challenged by a level 2 npc. You can either stand down and avoid fighting with a smile, or take your chances with the welcoming committee.
Well this is my first time playing with dice, might as well get a bit of training in. LETS RUMBLE!! :evilteeth:

Well this is my first time playing with dice, might as well get a bit of training in. LETS RUMBLE!! :evilteeth:
Oh you quoted me before I edited lol. That sounds fine, you didn't smile for him anyways. Roll a D20, anything under a 6 means you have to fight him. He's a level 2 npc. If you roll a 6 or above, you can dispatch him instantly, no questions asked.

Oh you quoted me before I edited lol. That sounds fine, you didn't smile for him anyways. Roll a D20, anything under a 6 means you have to fight him. He's a level 2 npc. If you roll a 6 or above, you can dispatch him instantly, no questions asked.
So this is embarrassing, but I set the difficulty to 2 right? Or am I just over thinking things?

So this is embarrassing, but I set the difficulty to 2 right? Or am I just over thinking things?
No I randomly assigned the npc a level.:P All you have to do is hit the roll dice button, choose the 20 sided dice option and roll 1 dice. This is what it will look like if you do it right.

Okay, nooooow I got it. Sorry. :-_-lines:
In your next post(no double posting), you may take control of the npc clown and deal with him how you see fit. There will be no fight as you met necessary requirement for instantly fleeing or killing him.

Just note that for every decision you make, there's always an equal reaction. No action is ever made in a vacuum. Just keep that in mind when posting.
Got it, makes things more interesting this way. But quick question, are there any abilities or weapons this clown has on him? Or am I free to make up whatever?

Got it, makes things more interesting this way. But quick question, are there any abilities or weapons this clown has on him? Or am I free to make up whatever?
Unless you're asking because you want to recruit him, he has no powers. I would have just made something reasonable for his npc level. So yer free to control him to your heart's desire. As long as you're not doing something out of line, like blocking a haki empowered blow or something. But I trust you'll handle the situation correctly.

Unless you're asking because you want to recruit him, he has no powers. I would have just made something reasonable for his npc level. So yer free to control him to your heart's desire. As long as you're not doing something out of line, like blocking a haki empowered blow or something. But I trust you'll handle the situation correctly.
Nice. Should I just wait for the others to reply or just make a post? Sorry if I'm asking to many questions. :b

Nice. Should I just wait for the others to reply or just make a post? Sorry if I'm asking to many questions. :b
It's alright. Next time ask on the ooc. You gotta wait for the rp to progress. It for your next turn unless you take your current one down

DarknessSama17 DarknessSama17 SodaToast SodaToast ChazGhost ChazGhost Joker987 Joker987

Alright folks, first off lemme start by saying thanks for being awesome role players. My expectation was this was just going to be a warning situation that would lead into some exposition about the island at large. But y’all have thrown a monkey wrench into my plans and made it far more complicated than it needs to be. So I’m going to present you guys with the reality of the situation and our choices going forward:

Reality of the situation: these are tier 4 enemies. They are full fledged grandliners. I’m sure you know what this means in regards to their status in terms of haki strength and speed. That means it would be an auto loss if we fought them, but you as the players are not allowed to use this meta knowledge to influence the situation. You will not die, but the rp is going to take a drastic turn based the general vote here. If you want to discuss it further, use the ooc. Otherwise make a post here saying which option you guys want to take Individually.

Option 1: I save us via plot armor
The basic thing I was trying to set up was Addy isn’t the only pirate on the island, but didn’t intend on expanding upon that until this situation was over. If you guys want, we can invoke the power of plot armor to simplify things.

Option 2: the power of the dice
Kariah, jasper and coal are anchors at this point. However we do have the choice of socking them in the stomach, to interrupt their breathing. Which is a substitute for holding their breath. But since this may require knocking out our hearing impaired acquaintances, Joker, me, and Chaz will need to roll vs against them.

After all it is technically an attack on these three. So it means we the conscious have to roll against the semi conscious to knock them out temporarily.

Option 3: abandon them temporarily or fight

If option one isn’t picked unanimously. And if option two isn’t chosen in this thread, then Chaz and joker have the choice to either run at the warning of Addy or charge headlong into the fray. Knowing it’s a futile effort.

I choice the power of the dice, option two. Jester can throw razor sharp card at the branch Coal's on and that would make him fall and get knocked out so I'll take my chances with the dice.

I'm fine with 2 or 3. Currently on the fence between the two ideas so I'll just wait to hear others' opinions.

I choice the power of the dice, option two. Jester can throw razor sharp card at the branch Coal's on and that would make him fall and get knocked out so I'll take my chances with the dice.

I'm fine with 2 or 3. Currently on the fence between the two ideas so I'll just wait to hear others' opinions.
Do note that while failing choice two won't mean death, it does mean that if any of us three fail the dice check. That the bad guys will find us.

DarknessSama17 DarknessSama17 SodaToast SodaToast ChazGhost ChazGhost Joker987 Joker987

Alright folks, first off lemme start by saying thanks for being awesome role players. My expectation was this was just going to be a warning situation that would lead into some exposition about the island at large. But y’all have thrown a monkey wrench into my plans and made it far more complicated than it needs to be. So I’m going to present you guys with the reality of the situation and our choices going forward:

Reality of the situation: these are tier 4 enemies. They are full fledged grandliners. I’m sure you know what this means in regards to their status in terms of haki strength and speed. That means it would be an auto loss if we fought them, but you as the players are not allowed to use this meta knowledge to influence the situation. You will not die, but the rp is going to take a drastic turn based the general vote here. If you want to discuss it further, use the ooc. Otherwise make a post here saying which option you guys want to take Individually.

Option 1: I save us via plot armor
The basic thing I was trying to set up was Addy isn’t the only pirate on the island, but didn’t intend on expanding upon that until this situation was over. If you guys want, we can invoke the power of plot armor to simplify things.

Option 2: the power of the dice
Kariah, jasper and coal are anchors at this point. However we do have the choice of socking them in the stomach, to interrupt their breathing. Which is a substitute for holding their breath. But since this may require knocking out our hearing impaired acquaintances, Joker, me, and Chaz will need to roll vs against them.

After all it is technically an attack on these three. So it means we the conscious have to roll against the semi conscious to knock them out temporarily.

Option 3: abandon them temporarily or fight

If option one isn’t picked unanimously. And if option two isn’t chosen in this thread, then Chaz and joker have the choice to either run at the warning of Addy or charge headlong into the fray. Knowing it’s a futile effort.
I'm good with two.

We're at the 1 day mark. Since it's a majority in favor of rolling the dice, I'll need you two to do a roll for Jasper and kariah. DarknessSama17 DarknessSama17 SodaToast SodaToast You both will roll a 20 sided dice. This number will be the threshhold in the chaz ghost, joker and I will have to beat in order to clear this dilemma unscathed.

ChazGhost ChazGhost I'll roll for coal so that this stay unbiased. So all you need to do roll to beat his roll.

COAL's ROLL:

We're at the 1 day mark. Since it's a majority in favor of rolling the dice, I'll need you two to do a roll for Jasper and kariah. DarknessSama17 DarknessSama17 SodaToast SodaToast You both will roll a 20 sided dice. This number will be the threshhold in the chaz ghost, joker and I will have to beat in order to clear this dilemma unscathed.

ChazGhost ChazGhost I'll roll for coal so that this stay unbiased. So all you need to do roll to beat his roll.

COAL's ROLL:

ChazGhost ChazGhost Joker987 Joker987

Make your rolls. I assume chaz is going to try and help coal and you can pick which person you want to help joker. Roll a 20 sided dice. Each of you gets a +3 to whatever is rolled.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back