Advice/Help One liner rp

MAROON QUILLNEST

One Thousand Club
Roleplay Type(s)
Hello everyone!! i was just wondering if i should not do one liners they work for me and i have a amazing rp built on one liners but feel dumb compared to other people's masive replys that seem to keep the rp lasting wayyy longer. So should i change the reply length or keep it the same?

Hi there! Hm, there seem to be an anti-one liner stigma going around here, not gonna lie. However, those only apply to when a certain rper would have typed like, A MASSIVE reply, and then the partner would just give them a few words. It appears effortless, and would upset the rper. Soon the stereotype that one-liners=bad rpers begin to form around.

I myself am the type to write a lot, so I wouldn't say that I like one-liners. BUT, I do feel with the agreement of both parties, one-liners shouldn't be a problem! I think you should talk it out first, because me personally? I don't see what's wrong with it, especially in a faster paced RP. So don't feel bad! Communication is key after all, tell them how you feel :) If it works for you, then it works! Sadly, it might not work for the others, hence again, you should ask xD

Otherwise, I think there are still a lot of RPs out there that focuses on pacing, which involves short replies. If you think that's your thing, go for it~

Hello everyone!! i was just wondering if i should not do one liners they work for me and i have a amazing rp built on one liners but feel dumb compared to other people's masive replys that seem to keep the rp lasting wayyy longer. So should i change the reply length or keep it the same?
You know I've often been on the fence with this one. However, with some growing, I'm going to say this. If one liners work for you and the writers you surround yourself with then that's fine. There are some famous writers out there that strongly believe short and to the point is best. A lot of writers believe this and teachers too. As an example I think it was Hemingway that won a bet between his friends that he could write an entire story in six words. ""For Sale, Baby Shoes, Never Worn" A lot of reporters would tell you that condensing is the greatest thing for a story. It's just chalked up to preference and the niche of people you have.

For me, it doesn't work because I require more to work with. It doesn't mean its better or worse. Just my style is such.That's all.

Yeah it’s more of a compatibility thing than a good vs. bad thing.

As long as your partner is okay with 1x1 liners it’s totally fine.

Another thing to take into account is that it’s not as simple as just more/less words.

Detailed writers also tend to be people who like to do a lot of planning and building out the world. They are also slower posters that aren’t really looking for rapid fire responses.

So it’s kind of an apple and oranges comparison. The way you roleplay with one liners is very different to the way you roleplay when you do multiple paragraph replies.

So I wouldn’t be looking at other people’s roleplays and comparing yourself. Even when it comes to people who roleplay the same style as you it’s very much a grass is always greener mentality.

The whole - other people must be more successful than me because I can’t see them struggling. It’s a very negative thought process to get into. Because you don’t know how much work and struggle is going on behind the scenes that you just don’t know about.

If you enjoy one liner RP, then just find other people who enjoy writing one or two lines as well. You don't have to force yourself to change the way you roleplay. You might just limit the amount of RP you might find.

Like me for example? I cannot and will not reply to one liners. The minimum for me is at least five juicy lines / one paragraph. I get completely bored and turned off to an RP when it's just one liners. But there are plenty who only write one line at a time and that's perfectly fine also.

This always makes me laugh because my first thought is always "oh the baby's feet just grew more quickly than they were expecting."
I think the whole thing came up as a joke during a party actually. It can be confusing without context or sharp staccato sentencing. I mean I guess knowing the theme they gave him before hand helps.
lol but yeah damn those baby feet grow fast!

One thing I've learned throughout my time writing and striving to always improve is to do what works for you and to most of all have fun when doing so. I'm a detailed writer, I have always been that way simply because I am aspiring to become a published author one day and I want my readers to be engrossed in the worlds and characters I create. It seems that you have established your own style of writing and enjoy it so don't change for anyone. However, if you wish to change to improve yourself then, by all means, do so but don't do it because you feel dumb compared tome lengthier writers. Just have fun doing your thing.

Write whichever style you want, after all role playing is a hobby and one of the main reasons to do it is enjoyment. It's all preference, some like lengthier responses that would take awhile, others are good with quicker one liner ones. I prefer the former, but both are just as valid. Both have their merits, but you shouldn't be doing it because other people want to, do it because you'd do it and enjoy it. But just make sure your partner is good with it too and what not

There are many different roleplaying styles. While it is true that most Roleplayers hate one-liners, the roleplaying community is big enough for your butt to be be pricked by many needles simply by sitting on the haystack. Just find someone else who one-lines, simple as that, end of story. Any other issue that arises will likely have little to nothing to do with one-lining.

Gonna be honest, not a fan of one-liners. I feel like the only time it’s acceptable really is during combat where you can’t do a whole lot of physical action.

Even then, you could always put some detail in those situations about how the character is feeling, in response to the other person’s attack and whatnot. Also physical sensations too if your character is in pain etc. all helps kind of breathe some life into a part of RP some find boring.

Which is sorta true. Even in novels fights don’t tend to last too long. Since readers end up getting bored.

I know exactly how you feel. Although I'm a quite experienced roleplayer, I hate doing overly literate roleplays, so I stick to the short things. Just recently, I got denied from 2 roleplays, due to my short responses, and I'm a little hurt about it. I don't understand why we're required to right out our whole life story in every reply. I don't have the time to write that whole thing out, nor can I harbor so much creativity in one reply. I can start off strong, but all it will do is die down.

I know exactly how you feel. Although I'm a quite experienced roleplayer, I hate doing overly literate roleplays, so I stick to the short things. Just recently, I got denied from 2 roleplays, due to my short responses, and I'm a little hurt about it. I don't understand why we're required to right out our whole life story in every reply. I don't have the time to write that whole thing out, nor can I harbor so much creativity in one reply. I can start off strong, but all it will do is die down.
Yeah exactly. I used to like, 5 paragraphs in the starter for my rp’s and they were ok.. but then after that I felt stuck because I couldn’t think of the right words and stuff and the other person had written like 8000 paragraphs and I feel dumb when I reply with a short paragraph.

Yeah exactly. I used to like, 5 paragraphs in the starter for my rp’s and they were ok.. but then after that I felt stuck because I couldn’t think of the right words and stuff and the other person had written like 8000 paragraphs and I feel dumb when I reply with a short paragraph.
It sucks, doesn't it? There's so much writing you can do before things get tiring. Besides, shorter responses make longer-lasting rps.

It sucks, doesn't it? There's so much writing you can do before things get tiring. Besides, shorter responses make longer-lasting rps.
Yeah. And like, how are you supposed to make it long when there is dialogue or interaction between characters? Do you just ramble on about something completely unrelated to the story line? And you can’t just control the other person’s character so?

Yeah. And like, how are you supposed to make it long when there is dialogue or interaction between characters? Do you just ramble on about something completely unrelated to the story line? And you can’t just control the other person’s character so?
YES. Like for example, short yes or no questions. They expect too much out of us.

YES. Like for example, short yes or no questions. They expect too much out of us.
They expect us to say. “Shrek pauses for a minute and ponders the very interesting question that donkey had asked. Should he divorce fiona? Or keep their affairs going. A sweat formed on Shreks thick, black eyebrows which were flaked with dandruff. He thought about his times with fiona, and his times with Donkey. He smiles finally. “Well..”he paused. “No one has a better ass than you, donkey..” Donkey smiled and flung his grey hooves around Shreks thick, green , meaty neck. “Oh Shrek! You know how to make a donkey feel special!” They kissed.” But like, longer than that. See I can’t even give an example.
(Sorry I’m really weird)

They expect us to say. “Shrek pauses for a minute and ponders the very interesting question that donkey had asked. Should he divorce fiona? Or keep their affairs going. A sweat formed on Shreks thick, black eyebrows which were flaked with dandruff. He thought about his times with fiona, and his times with Donkey. He smiles finally. “Well..”he paused. “No one has a better ass than you, donkey..” Donkey smiled and flung his grey hooves around Shreks thick, green , meaty neck. “Oh Shrek! You know how to make a donkey feel special!” They kissed.” But like, longer than that. See I can’t even give an example.
(Sorry I’m really weird)
LMAO, well, it fucking works. I can be descriptive like that, but I'm sure as hell not doing 9 paragraphs for just one simple conversation.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back