• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Realistic or Modern one and done [matamoja & novacid]

novacid

word hustler
06254741eaecd43432e557862f3f2ba5.jpg

30dad3d27aaf9871936b3f7a79d94133--craig-mcdean-w-magazine.jpg
09d4314d402f3bfd80e612b457250337--menswear-mango.jpg

“...and they lived happily ever after. The end.”

A woman's hand brushed against a small boy's head, feeling for a fever that was still there; one that would not go away, not until he passed. With a smile, he gently took her hand, holding it to his heart, “Thank you Miss Liane,” and the woman choked back the wave of empathy that rushed over her. With a calming breath, she squeezed his frail fingers.

The swift opening of a door brought her attention to the two men walking through it. They looked satisfied, “Boss, we caught the son of a-”

She cut them off with a cold stare and waved them out quickly.

“Listen little Patrick, I have to go, and I won't be back until next week. I'll see you then?” her words were heavy with accent, though it was clear she was covering her true voice.

His grin was bright, “Of course.”

Liane stood, grabbing her hat and jacket, knowing that the boy would likely not be here. After planting a kiss on his forehead, she made her way out, walking through rows of beds, full of children as sick as Patrick. She nodded them, and many gave her a wave, but few barely managed a smile. When she pushed through the door, the pair was waiting for her. She threw on her jacket and hat in one swift motion and followed them outside, then several blocks away down a nondescript alley.

Two figures loomed in the semi-darkness.

The woman closed the distance between them and quickly grasped the man's chin between her thumb and forefinger.

“Who did you tell?” she whispered in a voice that was more threatening than any shout.

“N-n-no one, I swear! I followed you here, by myself, four days ago. No one else knows. No one. I swear.”

Her eyebrows raised into her hairline, and she smiled, sickeningly sweet, “Oh good... I was scared I'd have to kill your wife and orphan your three little girls. That is if they survive the trauma of watching their mother die in front of them.”

The man's face paled, “Lee, I-”

Her fist pummeled into his mouth, splitting his lip. Her other fist followed, knocking out a tooth. She railed on him until the grown man was in tears.

“You disappoint me. I'll ask one more time. Who did you tell?”

“Joe! Okay! I told Joe!”

Another horrifying smile spread over her perfect lips as her fingers crawled to a gun at her side. She threw her goonies a look, one laden with specific intent. They took off, no doubt to find this Joe. The man on his knees stuttered, stumbled, spat out blood, tried to stand and run, but was knocked down, “I can't let you live, Charlie, you understand. This is my legacy, my only joy in life, and you're about to ruin it. Your family will want for nothing, you have my word.”

Before another plea fell from Charlie's lips, the gun went off. Its shot was eerily quiet. Liane, or rather, Lee, took a breath, removed the silencer and slid it into the inner pocket of her jacket then holstered her gun. For a moment, she considered properly disposing of the body, but the chances of her getting caught increased at an alarming rate the longer she lingered around this corpse. Without another thought, she turned on her heel, heading back towards the hospital.

Inside, she took a straight route to the administrator's office, where she closed the door and locked it, “Dr. Yves, you'll need to triple security. Right now,” Lee went to wall where a large, intricate painting was displayed. She pulled it forward, betraying its hinges and the small, locked safe behind, “It's likely a fluke-” once it was opened, she removed two stacks of banded cash before closing it again, “-but we can't take any chances, not with every bed full. Do you know how long our enemies have been searching for this place?”

The older gentleman behind the desk kept his hands folded and his head nodded politely as she spoke. It felt like dejavu, but what could one expect when a crime lord builds a children's hospital? She built it with her own blood, sweat and tears, and she would defend it just the same. He took the money she set on the table and thumbed through it. More than enough.

The rest of the day was spent doing damage control, and by the end of it, Lee was near defeated. The one man Charlie let spill about the hospital was dead before her minions got there. Overdosed, or made to look like it. Which could mean a variety of things. Her footsteps rang out in the night as she walked, eyes ahead, but mind gone. Did Joe tell someone...did they kill him for it? Did he tell someone, and overcome with guilt and fear, kill himself? Or did he simply overdose, without speaking a word of it?

Expressionless, Lee walked through two glamorous club doors being held open for her.

She was greeted with loud, boisterous welcomes, grins, smiles. Surrounded by approval, she let herself revel in the glory of being boss. Letting a smirk cross her blank face, she slid out of her jacket, handing it and her hat to the doorman then raised her arms, pulling a loud cheer from the crowd. Once she'd exchanged a few pleasantries, she remembered the reality of the day and withdrew down a small, nearly hidden hallway. Six steps down, she turned to her left and pushed on what seemed like nothing.

The wall slid aside, revealing a long staircase, lined with small lights. Down the steps she went, her low heels clicking against the polished wood until she reached the bottom and knocked. An opening slid open, showing two pairs of eyes. It closed again, and the door opened.

Inside, the smell of luxury and gluttony flooded her senses. The red velvet walls were lined with intricate gilded patterns and two opulent gold chandeliers practically dripped from the ceilings. The bar was a beautiful, dark mahogany, and every stool had a patron. Almost every table was full, except for one plush booth in the corner, where Lee took her spot. A man joined her almost immediately with several shot glasses.

“What's the word, Stan?” Lee asked, after taking one – two shots. The false accent finally dropped, revealing an extremely distinct Irish brogue.

“No one's said anything. Can't go poking around and give ourselves away. Hospital's fortified, then?”

“Very,” she sighed, picking up one more glass then setting it down, “We're down two pawns.”

“Auditions?” the man said, with a sick edge of excitement.

She nodded, “We'll make them quick. Start them out with three days in the warehouse, no food, no water. Last day – no lights. Most will leave the second day, but we should get five, maybe six, then bring them to my villa. I'll handle the rest.”

Knowing she'd be busy with the new recruits, if all went well, Lee used the next three days to handle any loose ends and delegate tasks. Once home, she prepared. The villa was simple, but elegant. The fountain in the front was small, but necessary for her status, as was the staircase in the foyer. The three story house held many mysterious rooms, considering the woman lived by herself, save for her staff who stayed in the maid's quarters. The yard was mostly fruit trees, no flowers but some shrubs.

In the kitchen, Lee watched over the cooks making dinner. Stan had informed her that five recruits had made it through the warehouse, and she'd had him send them straight here. Disheveled, at the end of their rope, starving, dirty – this is when they were at their most raw. This is where you saw what people were made of.

This would be the most lavish dinner many of them have ever had, and the most brutal. Three would be dead by the end, but such was the cost of finding a trustworthy crew. With one hand wrapped against the railing, she stood waiting at the top of the staircase, the perfect image of luxury and crime.

9c8327d73cfdd87984b5f2180920b0a4.jpg5cba2500de250a07cc12b1b7_54800526_698931973871922_7425379830358568525_n.jpg

"... Undercover? Me? What gives?"

Louisa Leblanc tried to contain her outburst, she really did. Working here she had learnt to keep her mouth shut, face blank or smiling, and to just do as she's told with as little fuss as possible. She didn't have the luxury of being emotional.

But this? This she felt was justified. Because clearly a mistake had been made. She wouldn't even get her hopes up.

"Do I really need to explain this again?" Her boss sounded like explaining himself—for the first time, might she add—was the greatest burden imaginable. Mr. Miller leaned back in his chair, rubbing his temples.

The office was far too fancy, in Louisa's opinion. A public servant shouldn't be given an expensive mahogany desk and leather chair. The room reeked of luxury and she despised it.

"Look, this gang is annoying, but I have bigger problems and not enough resources. Just don't screw everything up and I'll send in someone capable later."

Without another look in her direction, he waved her out. Because clearly the tiny stack of paperwork on his desk was far more important than her.

Louisa couldn't even muster up the energy to be mad. After all, she should be delighted. After working in the force for nearly a decade, she had finally been given an actual case. She had no doubt she would continue acting as a receptionist and/or personal assistant after, but that was fine. That was for future her to worry about.

For now, she would count her blessings. Even if it killed her.

So Louisa did as she always does: put on a polite smile. "Yes sir." Seeing as she wouldn't be acknowledged, she quickly made her way out. It felt like the very air in the room was trying to choke her. Even the potted plant in the corner was taunting her.

God, she needed some fresh air.

Ignoring everyone at the precinct, she made her way out. It was more like they were ignoring her, but she could pretend. Louisa had gotten good at that, if nothing else.

Leaning against the back of the building, Louisa gave herself permission to fall apart. Just a bit. Just for a moment.

Sinking down along the wall, Louisa hugged her knees and stared into the air. She wasn't really moping. Some part of her was too excited. But there was still this sinking feeling she couldn't describe. So she wouldn't try. For now, she had to focus on what she knew.

1. She probably wouldn't survive this. Based on what little the boss had said, Louisa should be grateful if she got out quickly.

2. Why the hell had she gotten so little information?! A time and a place from the mole. Surely that wasn't standard procedure.

3. If she wanted to do anything useful, she had to climb the ranks and gain trust. Getting information from some goon would do her no good.

4. Someone was stroking her hair. And Louisa didn't need three guesses to figure out who it was.

Letting a grin spread across her face, Louisa looked up at the face of Augustin Breaux. He was probably the only one she could call a friend around here, their childhood the only thing keeping them together. Because lord knows their personalities clash too much for that to keep them close.

"Why you looking so down, sha? Heard you finally got what you wanted." Ever the gentleman, he wasted no time in sitting down next to Louisa. She would bet ten bucks he's gonna complain about dirtying his clothes for her. Yes, gentleman indeed.

Instead of answering the question, she asked one of her own. Evasion 101. "Rumors going around already, huh?" Not that she should be surprised. Gathering data was their job after all. Though, if they worked that hard with actual work, the city would be a better place.

Despite knowing exactly what she was doing, Augustin humoured her. "Yeah, it's all people are talking about. 'Girlie getting thrown to the wolves', Pauvre Bête." He looked far too amused at her situation, but Louisa could tell he was worried.

"Keep your pity, I'm fine." She was not fine. Not even close. But planning things out had calmed her down. Made her feel like she could actually do this.

With a burst of energy from her determination, Louisa jumped to her feet, startling her friend. "I'm going to do this, and I'll do it well. You'll see."

Smiling in earnest now, Augustin stood up as well. "If anyone can, then it's definitely you. Keep me up to speed, yeah?"

The cold wall, the breeze softly rustling the leafs, Augustin's southern drawl reminding her of home. Those sensations and memories were all Louisa had to cling to.

Curled up on the freezing floor of some warehouse, starving to the point of not feeling the hunger at all, looking up at the ceiling despite the place being pitch black, Louisa had nothing to do but to think. Mostly regretting the choices that brought her here, really.

Fuck, even the disgusting smell of smoke that clung to the back of the precinct was nostalgic.

She had no idea how long she had been here. Someone had tried asking after a while, and quickly got sent out. Louisa had a feeling that guy was no longer alive. The worst part? She couldn't even feel sad about it. Even if she had had the energy to be sad, that guy probably deserved it.

Every one of them probably did. That's why she had tried to memorize their faces. She would get someone in the precinct to check them out. If they are still alive, that is.

Upon the first flash of blinding white light, Louisa curled in on herself covering her face with her arms. The splitting headache from the light was only made worse by the echoing sound of footsteps.

"Everyone up! We're going." Louisa slowly got used to the light. Looking around, there were only four other people in the room, goons excluded. Last time she checked they had been seven. No way they could have quietly left. In the dead silence she would have noticed it. Every movement was amplified in the silence. Sneaking out was impossible... Right? Or maybe not.

Ugh, her head. Right, the thinking would have to wait. Her entire body ached with every step she took, but she kept her face neutral. Or as neutral as was possible considering the circumstances. The desperation for some food and water was probably clear with just one look at her. For once, Louisa didn't care what everyone else thought about her. They were probably too busy thinking of themselves anyways.

The car ride wasn't all that memorable. She spent the time making a mental list of things to do going forward. On the top of the list; giving Augustin a crushing hug. Because God knows she could use one right about now.

The rest of the ride was spent picking at her clothes. Or, more accurately, Augustin's clothes. Going on this mission in her usual attire felt wrong somehow, so her friend had lent her some old clothes. She ended up picking a casual suit, consisting of dark pants and equally dark shirt, vest, and blazer, because it was the only thing that fit. Her hair was in a single braid resting on her back.

Louisa didn't know whether or not she stood out or blended in. They all looked somewhat similar, but she felt out of place. For so, so, many reasons. She could only pray it wasn't obvious.

They arrived at a fancy house. The entire space screamed luxury. Louisa would have to appreciate it later, when she had gotten something to eat. At least she hoped she would eat something soon.

Their little group stopped just outside the door, the goons turning around to address them. "Just shut up and do as you're told."

With that final piece of advice, they opened the doors for them to step through.

“Ah, finally the waiting is over,” her voice carried loudly through the room, and she clicked her way down the marble staircase with a wild smile. Something about recruiting new members always made her blood boil in the most tantalizing way. Her heart gave a single erratic thump as she stepped down off the last stair and lessened the gap between her and the five desperate souls walking in before her.

Lee laced her fingers, letting her thumbs press against each other, and she took a few more steps then stopped abruptly, scrunching her tanned nose, “You'll shower after supper,” she spoke softly, not what you might expect, not if you knew she had sent thirty people to suffer in a warehouse for three days. Though, to be fair, before now they were allowed to leave. From this point on, they were not. Telling them that fact seemed like fear mongering to Lee, so she left it unsaid.

Her dark gray suit fit her like a glove, and every aspect of her was meticulously put together, down to her perfectly parted, combed and braided hair. Not a single stray out of place. She began to take in the sight before her, trying to absorb some of what she saw. Only two stood out at the moment, but she would assimilate the details later. Now, they needed to be fed.

With a gesture for them to follow, she led them through several doors and into a room with an atrociously long dining table. It was set for six places on the right side, and they covered not even a quarter of the table. She waved Stan out and closed the door, then took a seat at the end. After waiting and watching everyone to select their own seat, she smiled graciously.

“Before we begin, we shall go around the table, and you will tell me-” suddenly, her eyes caught sight of a woman who had not grabbed her attention before. She had seemed out of place, unsure – a weakness in Lee's eyes. She had dismissed her almost immediately, but now she noticed glimmer of something more than strength. Determination that Lee had never seen before. Faltering for a moment, she regained her thoughts, “-tell me about yourself. The basics, sure, but also... a fact that perhaps no one else knows about you. A secret. Nothing will leave this room,” she said, with no hint of malice, “You have my word.”

To say that Louisa was surprised would be an understatement. At first she thought the woman in front of them was the boss's wife or mistress. But no, that didn't seem likely. Not with the way she commanded the room. Like someone used to having power. God dammit, did anyone at the precinct know about this? Stan? Mr. Miller?

Focus, getting distracted might actually be deadly right now. Louisa took a seat at the table, not really remembering how they got here. She had been too lost in her own thoughts to pay attention. Blame the starvation for messing with her mind.

Louisa stared at the table, for lack of anything else to do. She definitely wasn't brave enough to shamelessly take in the surroundings. But that wouldn't do her much good, now would it? She was here to gather information after all. So she lifted her gaze and tried to take in as much as possible, consequences be damned.

Catching the tail end of the speech, Louisa waited for someone to start....only to see everyone looking at her. Right, she was sitting at the edge. No wonder no one had wanted to sit here. Oh god, what was she supposed to do? One misstep might actually spell her doom.

Clearing her throat, Louisa stood up to introduce herself. There was no way that was wrong, right? That's how they had been taught to introduce themselves as kids. "I am..." Oh crap, what was she supposed to say? Giving her real name couldn't be a good idea. But the silence was definitely suspicious.

"...Louisa." Maybe the hesitation would make them think it's a fake name? Whatever, it would have to do. Gah, she had had plenty of time to plan! Why hadn't she thought about this sooner? "I'm 29. From Louisiana, New Orleans. It's, uhm, a nice place?" That covered the basics right? Well, if it didn't then surely she would be asked to elaborate.

"Oh, right! A secret." What the hell was she supposed to say here? The best thing was to stick as closely to the truth as possible. There just wasn't anything interesting to be said though. Something innocent would have to do. "I like sewing dolls that look like the people I care about."

Ahh, that statement revealed way more than was good. Hopefully that would end up working for her and not against her. Honesty was a good trait, right?

Feeling her cheeks burning in embarrassment, Louisa sat down. Clearly she had said more than enough. Well, enough to embarrass herself at least. Maybe someone would take pity on her.

Patience came easy as she watched each one of them squirm in their chairs. Beautiful. She noted their responses, saw their confusion; swam around in it and drank deep. A smile broke over her lips, one of a poised serpent, when the striking woman stood. Lee tilted forward in her seat, resting her pointed elbow on the edge of table. She caught her gaze, and her eyebrows twitched up just so slightly. She let out a liquid laugh, one that would ease the nerves of a dying soldier.

Two words in and the woman stumbled, paused, hesitated. Lee narrowed her eyes, but the moment she spilled her name, Lee knew it was the truth. Louisa. The tiniest of chills ran down her back, and she couldn't help but wonder why. She felt the strangest inclination not to kill this...Louisa. What was that?

“Louisa, from Louisiana,” Lee drawled, letting her accent slide and replacing it with a thick Southern one, “Well, that certainly sounds real to me,” she let out another housewife laugh and stood, moving behind her chair and grabbing the back of it. Her knuckles whitened as she squeezed, and she dropped the mocking accent as her tone turned dark, “I trust none of you are here with poor intent-” her eyes singled each one of them out as she spoke and lingered suspiciously long on Louisa, though for reasons unknown to Lee. She was like a beacon – but one that drew moths and killed them, “-because you would already know that I am merciless to those who betray me.”

“I am bored and you are hungry, so let us eat,” she waved and the food poured in on silver platters, big and small. One with a lid was placed before each of the five, and they were given wine, fruit, desserts salads, and soups, all at once, “I don't bother with courses here, eat what you will, when you will, as I speak to you on a few matters."

“First, congratulations,” she gave a few claps and nodded enthusiastically at them, “the warehouse is the quickest way to break a soul, and look at all of you. Here. And looking perfectly unbroken to me. Regardless, if you are chipped...I will fix you,” with hands spread wide, she continued, “I need two pawns by tonight. As a pawn, you will do as you're told without question. If I find you are prone to gossip- well. There's really a very simple solution for that, and it does not involve keeping your tongue.”

She let her words settle while she took her seat. Now to gauge a few reactions. With heels planted and table etiquette poor, she sank into her plate of food. Almost on queue, one of the three men at the table stood. He was clearly shaken, “What will you make us do? I won't hurt anyone, I-I-I won't.”

Lee laughed, harshly, loudly, “Then why the fuck are you here?” she stood, pushing her chair back with a haunting screech.

He took a step away from the table, but she started towards him. He was big, slow – probably only survived the warehouse because he was asleep. Quickly, Lee kneed him in the gut, bringing him to his knees easily. Her other knee went to his nose, and he cried out, clutching it in pain. Blood oozed between the cracks of his fingers as he moaned.

Lee smoothed her hair and moved to a cabinet, opening the top drawer and grabbing a pair of handcuffs. She went back to the man – call him Robert – and pulled him into his chair, handcuffing him to the ornately designed back. After letting out what sounded like a highly annoyed sigh, she took her gun from the holster and held it outwards, grip towards the other four.

“Somebody fucking kill him.”

Louisa let out a silent sigh of relief. At least she hadn't messed up so much that she immediately got killed. She couldn't tell whether the woman believed her name to be real or not, but that's fine. Definitely not her biggest concern.

Poor intent. Yeah, that was exactly why she was here actually. Not that Louisa would ever say that out loud. She did have some measure of self preservation. Not enough for her body not to stiffen as the woman talked though. If she got found out she would lose her tongue. At best. Or was that threat even serious?

Relief flooded her system as they were finally presented with food. Her hunger—which she had completely forgotten about—came back to her with a vengeance. Still, she ate quietly. It was rude to eat while someone was talking, but it couldn't be helped. The least she could do was to make as little noise as possible.

Honestly, this job sounded a lot like her old one. Or her normal one. She hadn't exactly lost her job or anything. But, it was the same thing. Do as you're told. That was fine. That was more than fine. It made her life so much easier if she knew exactly what she was supposed to do.

Just as her body had started to relax, Louisa immediately tensed back up when someone else spoke. Oh that fool. That poor fool. He would have been better off shutting up about it. Maybe he could have escaped later.

As much as she wanted to curl up and hide, Louisa watched as the man was beaten up and cuffed to a chair. She didn't even notice that she was shaking. Not that she wasn't used to brutality, but this was different. She didn't know why or how, but it was.

One of the remaining men took the gun, but ended up arguing with the others over who would kill the man. She couldn't decide whether they did or didn't want to kill him. As usual, Louisa went ignored. For once she was thankful for that. The gun ended up on the table while they argued.

The only reason Louisa reached for it was that she didn't want to get killed. Because surely if no one killed him then they would all get killed. It briefly crossed her mind to shoot the boss instead, but she dismissed that idea immediately.

Waiting a beat to see if the men would notice the missing gun, she slowly stood up. Luckily, she still went ignored. Louisa slowly crept closer to the cuffed man. For some reason she was more scared of the other men than the boss. Even though the lady terrified her as well.

She put the muzzle against the man's forehead, debating whether or not to actually pull the trigger. He sounded like a good guy. Not wanting to hurt anyone. Then again, he could still be a criminal. He probably was if he was here in the first place. This was justified. One less criminal in the world could only be a good thing.

Keeping her eyes open, she pulled the trigger. Almost immediately after the shot rung out, Louisa dropped the gun and clutched her ears. Because that was so loud! She was used to hunting rifles, but those were fired outdoors. "Ow." She rubbed her ears, trying to make the ringing go away.

Completely oblivious to the world around her, Louisa sat back down in her seat. She picked at her food with one hand and rubbed her forehead with the other. Who knew she would get so many headaches from this job.

The shot surprised and amused her.

After all the bickering, she doubted action in any form. When one of the stupid sheep had grabbed the weapon then fell into argument, she knew this was the wrong batch of recruits. They were so consumed by themselves that they didn't miss a shout when Louisa slid the gun from the table. But Lee, her eyes had been trained on the woman. She watched her momentary deliberation before standing.

A trickle of curiosity ran through her as Louisa pressed the muzzle against the man's sweating, sticky head. There was a clear debate inside her mind, and Lee enjoyed watching the gears turn. She had returned to her seat at the head of table, with the events unfolding before her like a movie.

Then finally, the gunshot.

With eyes wide open, this unassuming woman had killed a man.

“Well,” she started slowly after the star of the show sat down. She pushed her food around her plate, and Lee couldn't help but notice what a sad, beautiful picture she painted. The other three were shell shocked and couldn't help but wonder about their own fate, “That was certainly surprising.”

The weapon lay smoking on the ground, and Lee retrieved it before anyone came to their senses. She took a seat next to Louisa, turning her chair towards the woman and screeching it a little closer. Her voice lowered, and her fingers reached out to push a small stray from the shaken woman's face. How well was she really controlling her nerves? They would soon find out.

“Good job, little bird,” taking the gun, she set it before her, “The real trick is if you can do it again. Keep in mind, killing me won't keep protect you, my staff will not let anyone leave the house alive if I am dead. If that's a sacrifice, you'd like to make, please, be my guest. If not, kill these poor sods and join me. My name is Liane McHugh, though you know me as Lee. If you know me at all,” she paused a beat, her expression turning solemn, “I do not know why you're here, as you seem like a lost receptionist, but I can't simply let you leave now. And besides,” she said with a lopsided grin, “receptionists are excellent pawns.”

The men were suddenly frantic, rushing to the doors and finding them locked.

Their begs fell on Lee's deaf ears, and she gave them a little shrug before turning her attention back to Louisa, “Do you have much experience with moving targets-” she leaned in just slightly, whispering manically, “-or should I tie them up for you?”

Surprisingly, Louisa didn't really feel anything. Some distant part of her mind told her that she was in shock, but she ignored it. That was something she could deal with later. For now, all that mattered was survival. No matter the cost.

Louisa didn't react much when the woman touched her, too mentally exhausted to care. She wasn't an immediate threat. Honestly, the brief contact gave her far more comfort than it had any right to. She blamed the trauma.

The praise put a small smile on her face. She couldn't help but be pleased. After all, praise was a terribly rare commodity. She wasn't proud of what she had done to earn it—far from it—but she didn't feel nearly as guilty as she thought she would.

Louisa still wilted at the mention of doing it again. The first time was an act driven by her survival instinct. But now? She wasn't directly in danger. The guys hadn't gotten it in their minds to attack her yet, too busy trying to escape.

She enjoyed talking with Lee however. Her calm energy was both soothing and infectious. Louisa had no doubt that warm voice was the last thing many people ever heard. Even so, she wanted to keep talking. If only to keep her mind off of her surroundings for just a moment. "Receptionist is about right," a sardonic grin tainted her words. "I have no idea what I'm doing here."

Righteous anger drove her to stand up and take the gun. "I'm fine with hunting, thank you." And that's all this was; a hunt. As long as she kept that in mind everything would be fine. She came to the big city to hunt criminals, so Louisa really had no right to complain. Wasn't this exactly what she wanted?

She kept in mind how she used to hunt birds and rabbits in the bayou with her papa. It was easier if she saw them as animals. It kept the guilt at bay. Louisa lost track of time and everything else. They fell to the ground one by one. Sure, she didn't always kill with one shot. They were moving too much and she wasn't really a sharpshooter anymore. Still, she got the job done.

Despite everything, Louisa didn't look at the carnage after. If she saw the aftermath she might just throw up and that would be a waste of food. Instead, she sat back down in her chair. She shoved the gun away from her, not wanting to be anywhere close to that thing anymore. With the last of her energy, Louisa looked at the boss with a tired smile. "Is that good enough?"

For once, it was Lee taking a moment to regain herself. She had expected her to shoot one, then bargain her way out of the rest, pleading for the other's lives. Chances are, the mob queen would have caved, giving into those bright eyes. At least seeing her gun down three – oh no, make that four – men, she had little doubt in her mind that she was on the force. Who was making the decisions if this was the one they decided would take down Lee McHugh. It seemed almost silly.

However... that would not be a completely bad approach.

Deciding to be optimistically cautious, she dropped some of her housewife persona, letting the coldness that kept her alive to seep back in. Auditions were over, and they had somehow been both delightful and disappointing, “It will do,” she said shortly, finally standing and removing the second gun she had, setting it on the table. She peeled off her jacket and let it hang over the chair. Staff poured through the doors and began to mange the chaos.

As she unbuckled the double holster over her shoulders, she spoke curtly and quickly, “The maids will show you to your rooms here, as new recruits stay don't leave my sight until I decide they are trustworthy. You will shower, dress in anything that's in the closets or drawers, then come to the library where we will discuss a few things, including retrieving anything you may need from your home. Once you've spent a few weeks with us, if all goes to my liking, you will receive a small salary and a cut from any jobs you do.”

There was a heavy pause, and her tone shifted, “We will also discuss why you are here, seeing as you don't really know why...you may want to consider coming up with a more believable lie.”

A tall, lanky maid with a sullen face came to her side and gestured for Louisa to follow.

The walls were not decorated, though the wallpaper was intricate and varying in color as they traveled through the hall. Ranging from light greens, to steely blues and even to black, it showed a woman who had no one to answer to her for her oddities. The maid stopped at a door and pushed it open, revealing a miniature foyer covered with plants and flowers, and an open archway leading into a completely gray-scale bedroom with accents of different greens, also filled to the brim with nature.

“All of the rooms are like this,” the maid said, absent-minded and bored, “Even the maids quarters. Gray and green and filled with fucking plants. If you find out why, would you kindly tell a poor soul why?”

A spider's web. That's what this was. An elaborate trap to contain her here with a tiny chance of getting out alive. Or maybe that was her cynical nature talking.

Louisa didn't know if she could keep up an act this long. Not without a decent bit of planning. Especially since the boss was already suspicious of her. That wasn't even the worst part. The house was luxurious and she doubted she would go hungry. But that said, she missed the company of her friend.

As much as she would have loved to explore this place, Louisa was too tired. Also, she really didn't want any trouble. The maid didn't strike her as dangerous, but then neither did Lee. She wouldn't risk it. "If I find out, I'll be sure to let you know." After giving the maid as much of a smile as she could muster, Louisa entered her new residence.

Deciding to look around properly later, Louisa did her best to find clothes and the bathroom. The proper rooms evaded her, but she did stumble across a bedroom. It took all of her strength not to lay down and fall asleep.

Picking out the first things she could reach from some closets, Louisa found the bathroom. Stripping out of her clothes, she left them all folded on the floor. Upon seeing the dark red stains on the pants and blazer, she sent a silent apology to Augustin for ruining his clothes.

She stepped in and turned on the shower, sighing into the warm water. Looking down, the water ran red. The life of criminals swirling down the drain. Louisa rested her forehead against the cold marble tiles that lined the walls. Later she would have to go back and act. Improvise even, because Lord knows what the boss was going to ask. There was no way to prepare for everything.

God she wanted to sink down and drown here. Just let go and not have to deal with her own actions. It was still too early to rest though. She had only made it through Act 1. Now came the real challenge. The spotlight rested on her, and her alone. No other people to distract them or save Louisa.

The rest of the shower was spent actually cleaning herself. As well as going through her entire life in her head, deciding what was safe and what was not. And the worst part? If Lee asked, Louisa would tell her anything. She already had said far too much.

Louisa had no idea how long she had spent in the shower. All she knew was that she felt both refreshed and wrung out at the same time. After getting dressed, she finally found out what she had taken from the closets. A long maroon skirt and an emerald green sweater. The colors and styles clashed horribly in her opinion, but she didn't have the mental energy to find anything else. It would simply have to do.

Making her way out, Louisa found a maid waiting for her to lead her to the library. More awake now that she had to be, Louisa made an effort to memorise the path. A wasted effort, of course. Her sense of direction was less than adequate on a good day.

Needless to say, this was not a good day.

So she kept her head down, and let herself be lead through what seemed like a maze of walls. Maybe the second meeting would go better for her than the first.

Following her own plan, Lee bathed as well, sinking into a steaming bath until her skin was bright. Her long hair was twisted on the top of her head to keep it from getting wet, and she let her neck arch back against the back of the top. A long three days. She needed rest, but how could she manage of day of relaxation without appearing too negligent in front of her new recruit? She sighed. If it were any other beautiful woman, they might be tangled in Lee's silk sheets by now, but business made it different. She had kept herself from unwinding with her pawns, goonies or anyone who knew her trade.

Not able to send her on a task alone, or even with a crew member, Lee was stuck. Tense it was.

After sending the maid for coffee to be prepared in the library, she left the comfort of the tub and towel dried slowly. Her muscles burned, and her back ached from strain. She doubted she had slept any better than the recruits in the warehouse; her mind never stopped, not for a second, and she didn't know how to make it quit.

Once dressed in a casual pair of slacks and a starched white button up, she slipped on a pair of glossy black men's shoes. Her long hair fell over her shoulders, wild from the bathroom steam. With an aggressive hand, she combed it back into a contained ponytail, then looped it around into a bun so that it's length was still hidden. No hat, but with a black belt and an elegantly simple watch, Lee made her way to the library.

Her new pawn had made it there before her, and Lee entered the room as coffee was arriving. With a pleasant sigh, she took a cup before picking a straight back chair to sit in. The tray was then set down and the maid disappeared quickly. The library was expansive, the scent of books nearly covering the smell of fresh coffee. In the center was a small gathering of two heavenly, plush lounge chairs, two wooden seats, one long couch and a low glass table.

The exhausted boss kept her composure taut and with posture perfect, she sipped the bitter liquid, “Help yourself to a seat and coffee. Cream and honey is on the tray."

She gave Louisa a few moments to settle, “I understand you're tired,” a pause, “I am too, but this is all necessary before either of us can sleep. You are at your most vulnerable, exhausted, probably rolling down from the biggest adrenaline rush of your life – now is the time we talk.”

“Louisa, Louisa,” she purred, taking another drink. The caffeine was flowing through her blood, and she could feel a tinge of energy returning to her shell of a body, “From Louisiana... tell me, my innocent bird, what urged you to try your luck in the life of crime? You hardly seem the type. Is someone in your family sick? I see many women push their way through my ranks in order to save a loved one. Money cures all.”

Lee was hardly giving off the intimidating presence that she would have liked, but perhaps this approach would work better on such a flighty, deer-like creature. For now. The girl would push her limits, test her, Lee knew, and push the boss' buttons until her true nature shone through once more. She stood, cup at her lips, then moved to the couch, allowing herself to sink back against it's soft cushions with a relieved breath.

“Was that the first man you've killed?”

Louisa thought she would be nervous. And she was too, but not as nervous as she had imagined. The relaxed atmosphere and being surrounded by books was a balm for her frayed nerves. Libraries were always places she could go to to unwind and live in her own head. A little break from reality.

But as the situation once again dawned on her, Louisa took a cup of coffee and sat down in a lounge chair. Truth be told, she despised coffee. Not that she was going to say anything about it. In the spirit of politeness, she took a sip and immediately frowned at the bitter flavour. Some sweeteners would probably help, but Louisa actually wanted to get some sleep tonight. So she ended up just holding the cup, letting it warm her hands.

No wonder the woman insisted on talking now, of all times. While Louisa had never conducted an interrogation, she had watched plenty. Not that that would help her much here. Good thing Louisa had no intention of lying. With how exhausted she was, there was no way she could keep up a web of lies for long.

At least the shower had given her some time to prepare. The first question was a simple one. Her tired mind considered taking the out she had been given. It would be so much easier to let Lee write her story for her. But that would be far worse in the long run. Besides, lying was a sin.

"No, no one is sick." She hoped. A bit of guilt coiled itself in her chest. She hasn't talked with her family for a while now. Louisa vowed that as soon as this case was over, she would visit them.

"I'm here because I wanted to make a difference in the overworld and failed. So, I'm trying my luck in the underworld." The bitterness tainting her words was genuine, as were her words. Not the entire truth, but definitely an honest answer.

As for how many she had killed—or how few, rather—she didn't want to answer. Would it make her seem weak, if she admitted the truth? Surely Lee had no interest in someone with as little experience as Louisa. A non-answer would have to do. "The first, the fifth, the tenth. What does it matter, he's still dead.'

That came out far bolder than she had intended, and she sunk into her seat once the words were out. What was she doing? Why was she tempting fate like this? She didn't have a deathwish, but that's the thing. Louisa didn't fear for her life at the moment.

"Actually, I have a question." A part of her—the rational part, probably—told her to shut up. She had answered the questions and didn't need to do anything else. But Louisa told that part of her mind to go screw itself. She had made a promise after all.

"What's with the decor?" Realising how bad that question sounded, she rushed to explain herself. "Not, that it's bad or anything. Not at all. It's very nice and soothing actually. I'm glad it's not just barren and sterile. I was just wondering about all the green and the plants. Not that you have to explain yourself, of course. I'm just terribly curious, and I'll shut up now."

With an audible click of teeth, she shut her mouth. Louisa stared into her still full cup of coffee, hoping beyond hope that she hadn't screwed everything up. Not that she was brave enough to look at the boss and see for herself.

The coffee was not to her liking, Lee noted, immediately curious what her hot drink preference could possibly be. Hot chocolate? She also noticed the calm demeanor Louisa had come in with, but she'd seen this before. After three and a half days of trauma, some people broke through to a frightening calm. It was a good sign, and Lee smiled into her cup.

"No, no one is sick."

Lee tilted her head up, pulling herself into a less slouched position while she listened. Something about the answer struck her as odd, but then again, so did everything about this woman. It felt like truth, and it certainly sounded like truth, so why did Lee get that guttural, nails on a chalkboard feeling? Was it her instinct, begging her not to trust Louisa?

Determined not to go down any mental rabbit trails, she pulled her focus and finished the coffee. Debating a second cup, she gave Louisa a long look, followed by a trace of a smile, “You don't have to lie,” she started, leaning forward over the table to pour herself half a cup. With a touch of honey, no cream, she settled back into the couch, “I may not know your true intentions, but you are safe and your job is secure. Innocent until proven guilty, though I can promise that if found guilty, you'll be regretting much of what you've said to me today.”

Already better understanding Louisa, she wasn't surprised by her question. In return, she gave a laugh, a strangely genuine one, and shrugged, “I enjoy gray, I enjoy green, and I very much enjoy plants. As a poor child in Ireland, we couldn't waste the money on something as frivolous as an indoor shrub, when there were plenty for free outside. I potted my own as a girl, uprooting whole flower plants from expensive neighborhoods...”

Her eyes roamed over the books for a moment, and her gaze looked as if she may be gazing into the past. She blinked twice and snapped her head back to Louisa, “All irrelevant to your first day tomorrow. Your job is to fill in where we need, no matter how mediocre it may seem. And for now, we need girls at the club. Do you like jazz?”

Louisa, not for the first time today, didn't know how to feel. On one hand, relief. Every second that came and went could have been her last. And she was beyond grateful for still being alive. It was an odd sensation, not being able to relax completely.

Lee reminded her of a young fox she and her mama had helped when she was younger. Slightly tame—just to take advantage of the benefits—but still wild at heart, and not afraid to show it. Louisa could never predict the fox's mood, and as a result stayed away. Most of the time. She couldn't resist trying to pet it, even when it tried to bite her almost every time.

It was relaxing, listening to her speak freely about something Louisa considered a private matter. Honestly, she was surprised she had gotten an answer in the first place. Sadly, she would have to disappoint the maid. Louisa was far too selfish to share something so precious.

"I do enjoy jazz." Honestly, it would nearly be a crime if she didn't. A part of her was happy to get to hear some good music. The rational part however... "What exactly do you need me at the club for?" Because the way Lee had said it made it sound slightly ominous. At least to Louisa's ears.

"And I promise that I don't have any ill intentions." God, Louisa really needed to learn when to stop talking. "I also don't lie, so you don't have to worry about that." Ok, now she was just defending herself for no reason. Good grief, she was just making herself seem even more suspicious.

Looking everywhere except for her boss, she tried to get back to the point. Because sleep was evidently something she needed before trying to talk anymore. "Sorry, that sounds weird, I know. I could really use some sleep." The lopsided smile on her face drove home the point. She hoped.

“Oh, a few odd jobs,” Lee said, without a hint of malcontent, but understanding the woman's concern, a mocking smile twisted her lips. She set the coffee down, unfinished, “You'll float, fill in as needed. Your assigned maid, Isla, will bring your work clothes to you in the morning,” she paused, resisting the urge to reach her arms out and let out a catlike stretch. The sun was still lingering above the horizon – how was that even possible? “As for the lying, I believe you, though not in the way you may think.”

The lanky woman stood, feeling near unsteady on her feet, but taking care to always keep a face that gave nothing away. If one were to unlock her mysteries, it would not be by reading her expressions. One blink, two blinks, Louisa mentioned sleep and an automatic pilot took charge of Lee's body. Exhaustion did not suit her, and the bouts of insomnia at night did not always make going to sleep an appealing choice. More often than not, she chose to stay in the library through the night, dozing occasionally on the couch and drinking tea with whiskey and lemon.

“Sleep, and in the morning, don't concern yourself with rising early. We don't open our doors until six, but you and I will arrive mid afternoon, so I can give you a crash course-” she cut herself off and shook her head slightly, a single stray coming loose from the taut ponytail, “-anyway, if you'd like breakfast or lunch, they are at nine and one. Don't worry about roaming the villa, if there is something I don't want you to find, you won't find it,” then with a finally small breath, she said, “Good night,” and retreated to her rooms.

After a night cap and the only cigarette she allowed herself anymore, the ring leader fell asleep without a single toss or turn, for the first time in months.

She slept through breakfast, but was awake by noon. Disoriented from losing her morning, Lee stumbled into the hallway before remembering there was a guest and retreating back. With a huff, she changed out of the nothing she slept in, into something more appropriate. A pair of black slacks and a white undershirt. Quickly, she combed her hair and braided it, not bothering to perfect it.

Downstairs she toppled, driven by a hunger that she hadn't felt since she fought her way to where she was now. The center of table was set with a large variety of entrees and finger foods. Lee sat and filled her plate to the brim and requested fresh coffee be made, but only one cup, from the French press. She would uncover what Louisa's preference was, and Lee realized she was anxiously hoping the woman would join her for lunch, though most recruits never did. They found it unbearable to sit in her presence and eat unless they must. Which she understood, many times, she had done unspeakable things in front of them. She had yet to find out how despicable she was in the innocent bird's eyes.

Louisa barely paid attention to her boss anymore, only nodding her head at the appropriate places. Just the mention of sleep had driven that need to the forefront of her mind, impossible to forget. More importantly, she had survived the day. And that's how she would act going forwards. One day at the time.

Without bothering to change out of her clothes, Louisa fell into the bed. Sadly, it took a while for her to fall asleep. Rationally, she knew she was safe here. For now at least. That didn't stop her from worrying. Though, her brain gave her a break after the long day and let her fall asleep after a short while.

When Louisa woke up, it was to all of her muscles aching. Clearly the shower she had taken the day before hadn't been able to erase the nights spent on concrete floors. Slowly sitting up, she could almost feel her bones snapping into place with satisfying pops.

It was still early, judging by the orange skies. Plenty of time to snoop around. Or, was it even snooping if she had permission? Standing up slowly, Louisa got some casual clothes from the closets. Slacks and a shirt would do.

With that out of the way, Louisa searched for her work clothes, and found them neatly folded. Curiosity drove her to spread the outfit out on her bed. Sure, she would know what it looked like anyways, but it never hurt to be prepared. And she was glad she had done it too, because this had to have been a mistake. Surely. She hasn't seen so much lace and bows since... Ever.

Maybe some parts were missing. Or there had been a mix-up. It was a foolish hope, but she clung to it nonetheless. She would deal with this later. First, some food and info gathering. Or, just the info gathering seeing as she had just missed breakfast. Great. What a lovely start to the day.

Lee wasn't joking when she'd said Louisa wouldn't find anything. Well, nothing of importance. Her spare time had been spent trying to learn the layout of the place. Once she was reasonably sure she wouldn't get lost, it was already time for lunch. Because that's how long she needed to memorise stuff like this.

With a muttered 'good morning' to her boss, Louisa filled her plate with food. After missing breakfast she was absolutely starving. It didn't hurt that the food here was excellent either. Now that she wasn't paralysed with fear, she could actually taste it.

"I think there has been a mistake with my outfit," Louisa said, apropos of nothing. Because she most certainly hadn't forgotten about it. "That thing really isn't suitable for polite company." Just thinking about how revealing it looked made her cheeks heat up.

Not expecting much other than the grumpy hello Louisa managed, Lee's eyes flickered for a moment. She was here, though all that told her was that food remained a high priority for the woman. Scooping a bite in her mouth, she chewed and swallowed, keeping her gaze on the other, watching her load her plate and eat. It was like watching an animal in a cage, trapped and starving, forced to eat in front of an audience. A little smile danced over her mouth, but she wiped it off. It wouldn't do her any good thinking of her new pawn as a pet.

But as she continued to observe her, it felt more and more tempting.

Blinking, she shook her head and took another small biting, eating quickly and trying to choke down a laugh, “Well... did you get the stockings and gloves? And shoes? Really, those are supposed to be quite in style, I thought you may be pleasantly surprised,” her eyebrows raised in mockery as she accepted a cup of coffee from the maid. After a sip, she set it down and continued eating.

Between bites, she managed a quick run down, “Tonight you'll be our smoke girl, selling cigarettes. Each full tray you sell would earn you a commission, but you-” Lee swallowed a bite and grinned, “-you work for free, sweet bird, and not for very polite company.”

The boss leaned back in her seat, pushing back the plate then rubbing her palms together, “Now how about a peach cobbler? Anita made it fresh,” she paused, covering her tracks, leading Louisa away from the idea she was hoping to understand her better, “I have a horrible sweet tooth,” she said quickly, gesturing for the maid, “And can Isla bring you a hot beverage? I noted coffee is not in your palette.”

A small yet perfect smelling cobbler was brought, with two bowls of ice cream and two delicate spoons. Lee stood, moving to the other side of the table to sit beside her newest prey. She picked up a spoon and scooped a bite of cobbler straight from the glass pan, then ice cream and ate it happily.

Louisa was very much not amused, and didn't appreciate being made a fool of. "I'm glad you're having a good time." She had seen the stockings, but couldn't remember gloves and shoes. Must have been somewhere else. Or maybe she had just missed them. While Louisa was an early riser, she most certainly wasn't a morning person. In fact, she was quite useless until about noon.

Though, being a cigarette girl didn't sound terrible. She could come up with at least five things that could have been worse. No, the job itself was fine. Respectable, almost. It was the company that concerned her. "Is there really nothing else I could do?"

Granted, now she was just disagreeing for the sake of disagreeing. Louisa had survived far worse and the job might even be fun. It would be an escape from her situation at least. While the villa was cosy, being holed up held little appeal. The lack of pay was annoying, but not unexpected. At least if she didn't get paid, she didn't have to work very hard.

Louisa was jolted out of her thoughts by the mention of food. She had been thinking so much that she had completely forgotten to actually eat. "Hot tea—or sweet tea, if you can—would be lovely." A sweet tooth. Good grief. For some reason, that tiny piece of info made all the built up annoyance drain out of her.

She could feel herself tense up with each step her boss took towards her. Even if the situation was as innocent as can be, it reminded Louisa too much of the day before. How easy would it be for the woman to lean over and snap her neck? She wouldn't even need a gun to end her life.

Despite it all, Louisa was determined not to show her fear. Not that her body made it easy for her. The hand holding the spoon was shaking slightly, and the lump in her throat made it difficult to swallow. But somehow she managed a few bites. A triumphant smile spread across her face, as if to say 'see? I'm not afraid.' Even if she clearly was.

"Also, why exactly am I not getting paid?" Louisa blamed her slightly shaking voice on the cold ice-cream. Logically, she could probably figure it out for herself. But she was here to gain information. Besides, a part of her just wanted to hear Lee talk more.

Just in case the boss revealed something useful, of course.

Last edited:
There was a low chuckle, “Oh, I'm having the best time,” she quipped. While it was no secret that the boss could watch women in short dresses all day, the costumes weren't for her. The club had a reputation to uphold, one of beauty and temptation. Lee couldn't think of a better embodiment of temptation than the woman before her, “There's no better job for you right now, and you may want to trust me on that. If you feel otherwise, we can switch you, but I promise you will be much more unhappy than now.”

She sensed that there was no actual displeasure, but that the woman enjoyed a verbal spar. Not that Lee minded that, in fact, it was true pleasure to sit with someone who didn't constantly cower. The maid was back with a sweet tea in several minutes, bringing a tray as well. On it held an ornate, glass pitcher of the perfect amber liquid, tall glass of ice and a petite bowl with two lemon slices.

As she took another bite of the desert, she noted the slight shake in Louisa's delicate hands while she ate. The lack of distance between them must have given her a flashback of the last few days. In her defense, she had every right tremble. Though Lee – generally – never harmed unless absolutely necessary, she was sure that it was not common knowledge. She needed her enemies to believe she cut people down without mercy or hesitation. Liane McHugh ruled side by side with fear, however badly she wished they saw who she could be. Potential goodness meant nothing, it was action that mattered. Her hospital was the reason she kept on. Hundreds of children passed through there, either recovering, or receiving the kind, gentle death they deserve, not on the street where no one even bothered to dispose of a corpse.

Lee considered letting the woman eat in peace, but a few more minutes couldn't hurt. She propped her left elbow on the table, setting down her spoon and leaning on the mahogany. Well-rested, exhaustion finally gave way to let out her constant urge for a little chaos, “Why are you afraid? Think I may kill you before I even get the chance to try you out?”

Louisa took a sip of the tea with a wide smile. It had been so long since the last time she had sweet tea. Granted, she could have made it for herself at any time, but she had been too busy at the precinct. Not to mention being lazy as well. Her only fond memories of cooking were with her mama when she was young.

"I'm not afraid," Louisa insisted with a pout. Not at the moment anyway. And even if she was, she would never admit to it. Louisa didn't want to give this woman any more power over her than she already had.

In fact—to really get across how not afraid she was—Louisa forced herself to relax and leaned back in her chair with an easy smile. Would have had more of an impact if she hadn't leaned too far back and almost made the chair tip over. With flailing arms and a yelp of surprise she righted herself and laid her arms and head on the table for good measure.

Taking a few deep breaths to calm her wildly beating heart, Louisa looked up and gave Lee a glare. Only because she was the closest person. And she would have felt silly if she decided to glare at the chair, whose fault this was in the first place. "Shut up."

A few more breaths in and out later, and Louisa had gone back to sitting normally and sipping her tea. As if nothing had happened. "I guess killing off new members would be counterproductive." The thought made her laugh, for some God-awful reason. Jesus, did the maid spike her drink or something? Louisa was definitely acting way too drunk considering how sober she was.

"Try me out all you want, if that's what it takes for you not to kill me."

Watching her take a sip from the sweet tea, watching her make a subtle happy face, gave Lee a sense of satisfaction she had never gotten from anywhere else. Content, she smiled lightly, picked up her spoon and took one last bite of the decadence before her.

“I'm not afraid.”

Lee's eyebrows shot up in surprise, but without anger, and believe when Louisa nearly gave herself a concussion, the boss was in riot of laughter. A maid peeked her head through the door in disbelief, before quickly disappearing again. She stuffed the ripples of her chuckling down and tried to regain some composure before giving out one last laugh when Louisa threw her a 'shut up'.

“So very talented,” she said, crossing her arms and tilting her seat back only a smidge before bringing the legs back down with a more than a little snobbery in her smirk, “The gods have graced this poor Irish mutt.”

Reality started trickling back in as she heard the two resounding gongs from the large grandfather clock in the foyer. That had been the fastest hour she'd ever witnessed, and she stood in a flustered hurry, realizing she had let herself become blinded for an entire sixty minutes. A new expression settled in on her slightly freckled face, one of disappointment in herself with a mix of embarrassment and shame. She tried to wipe it clean and replace it with irritation, but she wasn't sure it had worked.

“Meet me in the foyer at three.”

An hour later, she stood at the bottom of the steps, dressed immaculately in a navy suit, beige dress shirt and dark pumps with a decent heel. Hat and jacket in hand, she waited, trying to appear impatient, but in reality, she was wondering if Louisa had ever driven in a brand new automobile before. The Rolls-Royce outside had barely been in production six months, and Lee had gotten her grimy hands on one in the first week.

Louisa couldn't decide if she was relieved or disappointed that the hour was up. On one hand, she had embarrassed herself enough for a lifetime and the day had barely started. On the other hand, seeing the woman morph from Lee to her boss in a matter of seconds was disheartening. It reminded her that there was work to be done.

With a nod, Louisa went back to her room to get changed. She found the missing shoes in the doorway and the gloves on top of her spread out outfit. With a weary sigh, Louisa got dressed. She then made the mistake of looking at the mirror. Good grief, if her mama could see her now she would call her a prostitute. And Louisa wouldn't blame her one bit.

Waiting as long as she could get away with, Louisa made her way down to the foyer. She quickly walked past her boss, guessing the car outside was the destination. And if it wasn't then too bad. Louisa had bigger concerns. Like how bloody short this skirt was.

Lee got in beside her shortly after, so it must have been the right place to go. She tried to tug her skirt down as far as it would go, all while trying to relax. This is supposed to be a simple job to start out with. It was definitely easier than what she had already done to get to this point. So why couldn't she just calm down?

With a weary sigh, Louisa gave up on both fiddling with her outfit, as well as her sense of propriety. At least for now.

She leaned against Lee and hid her face in her shoulder. If only to hide how red her face had gotten. She really hoped it would go back to its normal paleness by the time they arrived at wherever they were going. "If we meet anyone I know, do me a favor and just shoot me." It came out slightly muffled, but still understandable.

Catching sight of Louisa, Lee took a moment to ensure her face remained the same. Her bird flew by her without a word or glance, and she assumed she was peeved about her sudden departure from lunch. It had to be done; she was tangling with dangerous thoughts and they needed to be nipped in the bud... Lee turned and tried to keep her eyes downward as the woman walked before her, then wondered where that respect was coming from. She flicked her gaze upwards and let her eyes linger on the skin between her tall stockings and the edge of her dress.

Hiring her may not have been the smartest choice she'd ever made, but she would happily suffer the consequences.

She clicked her way over the tiled foyer and out the doors, into the bright world. With a quick smile, she tilted her head into the hot beams of sun, then dipped into the car, allowing the driver to shut it. Generally preferring to drive herself, Lee decided this occasion called for a little extra time in enclosed spaces.

Sliding into the middle, she sat comfortably, knees to the opposite side of Louisa, but her jacket brushing against the other's arm. She had opened her mouth to begin the official tour of around her villa, but suddenly, she felt the warmth of Louisa's face against her shoulder. Surprised, she glanced down, then into the rear view mirror where she met the eyes of their driver. He shrugged gently.

A long moment later, she let out an uncomfortable laugh. Physical contact that was non-aggressive and non-romantic. Lee was in a panic. Her free arm went out to playfully pat the woman's back, but she lingered awkwardly and found it resting again in her lap, “I-well- it's,” she coughed shortly, “You really made it very clear I was not supposed to kill you.”

"Mhhhm. That's an exception." Because Lord knows if she met anyone she knew, Louisa would never get to live it down. It was hard enough to find a job in this day and age that was half way decent. Something like this could easily ruin her reputation for good.

Looking up at Lee from where she was resting her head, Louisa said with a coy smile, "Besides, if anyone gets to kill me, I'd rather it be you." It was far better to get killed by someone she knew, rather than some nameless goon that would be equally dead sooner rather than later.

She stayed leaning into Lee a bit longer. As long as she could get away with. Louisa was a touchy-feely person by nature, and the lack of human contact in the warehouse had almost been worse than the starvation. So really, it was only fair that she got these moments to collect herself. A small payment since that's the only one she was getting.

With a sigh, Louisa sat back up properly. They were supposed to be working, so she had to remain professional. It struck her that this entire undercover mission was supposed to be work, but she pushed that thought aside. One job at a time.

Struggling more than usual, Louisa put on her usual mask of professionalism. A cold blank face with a barely there polite smile so as to not unnerve people. "Right. I might need some help, since I have never worked as a cigarette girl before, and have no idea what I'm supposed to do."

Then, another thought struck her. "Wait, are you going to stay with me there?" Because surely the boss had other things to do. But then, Louisa was still new and possibly a flight risk. And on top of that, she really didn't want to be left alone somewhere unknown.

The prolonged human contact was unsettling, but Lee had made no move to break it. In fact, she nearly relaxed into it, and as the car purred out of suburbia and into the city, she let reality fall away. But not for too long... she let out a tired chuckle at Louisa's joke, opening eyes that she didn't even know had closed, “Well, if anyone is going to kill you, it will be me.”

With a breath, Lee repositioned as the other did, smoothing out her slacks and suddenly feeling like a young teenager out past dark. A wave of sadness crashed over her, and she realized she still didn't know if she could even trust this woman. And here she was, sharing a moment strangely more intimate than anything she'd ever experienced.

Hesitantly, she pushed herself over into the other seat, but turned her knees and body towards Louisa, and kept her face as far away from her true emotions as possible, “Cigarette girl, it's simple enough. Sell, sell, sell-” Lee's sulking gave way to her business side, and she scoffed, “-men will buy anything from a pretty girl, and most will buy it twice.”

She glanced out the window and saw the buildings getting closer together, the city smog getting a bit thicker, as it was starting to be these days. They made a few turns, and lastly onto 58th, where they rolled to a stop. Lee gave her new cigarette girl a long look, “I may not always be by your side, but I will always see you.”

The driver opened Louisa's door first, and Lee was curious to see her make a graceful exit of the car, but she resisted, and let herself out, meeting the woman at the other side. Careful to keep a respectful and professional distance, she slipped her hat on and adjusted her hair and jacket before walking forward, through the elegant entrance.

It was always strange to see her club empty save for staff. She took a moment to adjust and had the doorman take her jacket and hat. With a deep sigh, she turned to Louisa as a petite man approached them at a dangerous sigh, “Here comes the manager – I'm clearly in trouble.”

“You killed our best cook! The only competent one here and there was no time to find a suitable replacement. The amount of complaints we'll have tonigh-”

“First off,” Lee said sneakily, she gently pushed Louisa in front of her, feeling as though maybe she needed a human shield, “She killed him.”

With a tiny, satisfied laugh, she took a step away, watching the small man's eyes go wide and his face somehow getting redder, “A woman! Why! I hope you can cook, madam!”

“There may be a promotion in order - Louisa? Are you any sort of cook? It may just save you from that...” her slight amusement grew into delight for one moment, before she pulled the reins in on her mind, “Costume. However, cooking is not easy work here. The orders are simple, but they are fast, you may prefer to manipulate the mushy mind's of men instead.”

Lee grinned.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back