On the Road

A short time goes by, and the ogre Juicer comes stealthily back to meet up with everyone. Upon his return, he tells the group that he has found your target, and describes it as a hydra. O-Ren's Monster Lore tells you some about your potential foe. First, they are not very bright in comparison to other dragons. Not very bright in comparison to just about anyone, to tell the truth, being little more intelligent than a well trained animal. Also, as a general rule, hydras are usually very selfish or evil, and frequently relish in the pain of others. Not a good sign that you can reason with this one to stop marauding about the place.

Grond lets out a sigh, and asks several questions about the layout of the area surrounding the hydra, including its size. "It doesn't sound like this one is young; we might be faced with the dragon equivalent of a teenager. I hope it is not as powerful as a full grown one. So, what's the plan? How do we do this?"

Ozug

After relaying the message to the team, and listening to information shared by O-Ren and Grond, Ozug shrugs with uncertainty. "I don't know. It looked scary and tough. Do these Hydra have any weaknesses we can exploit? Or any strengths, abilities, or resistances we need to worry about?" He thought for a moment. "I feel bad killing it if it's young and doesn't know any better, regardless of its nature. Wish there was a way to communicate with it."

O-Ren looks pensive. "I do know that hydra heal damn fast; faster than any other kind of dragon, including our friend Nasoth. Usually, they are resistant to fire and cold, taking less damage from those kinds of attacks. Also, each of the heads has a special power, such as being able to see the invisible, or some kind of breath weapon. The good news is, with the low intelligence, hydra don't normally know much magic, so we won't have to deal with that. Even if they are not too smart, they are very cunning." She stops to think for a moment, then says, "Alley, if you use your speed-up talent on Nasoth and Grond, I think they would be the best bet to deal some serious damage to the hydra. Combine that with being able to slow it down, and the fight shifts from being a real problem to something we can win."

Liza Kreuzer

A dragon - a hydra, to be precise, by the description as easily convinced as the most stubborn humans. Needless to say, the mystic will still try it - but the chances look rather grim for now. Where others brought heavy weaponry, she only carries her usual equipment, rather trusting her own abilities than technological aid. "You said they don't know too much about magic - how good are they at seeing through it? I might be able to distract the beast, and let it waste time on nothing but air. That might buy us enough time to gain the upper hand, and perhaps make the hydra see reason if needed."

O-Ren looks over at Liza. "We have to assume that it can see the invisible, and act accordingly. If this is an adolescent, it has been around for hundreds of years, and probably has a good resistance to hostile magic. But, it doesn't mean that it can't be fooled. We just have to be careful about how we do it."

Ozug

Ozug listened to the options carefully. "If we could distract it, or sneak up on it, we could catch it in a crossfire from multiple angles, preferably at a distance. Might not help much since it has so many heads that can act, but would make it harder for it to catch multiple of us in its breath weapons, and make it harder for it to focus fire." He frowned. "Would be nice if we could trap it in the cave somehow. Does its resistance to fire extend to plasma as well? I brought quite a bit of weapons, like the RL-6 missile launcher, so if anyone wants to use any of them, be my guest."

Grond hefts his vibrosword. "I'm thinking that I can do more with this than I could with the rocket launcher, long term. I do have a few armor piercing missiles in my shoulder launcher that I might start out with, but for the bulk of the fight, I'm sticking to my blade."

Atlanta steps forward. "You won't be able to take it by surprise. With all those heads, at least one is going to be looking in the direction you're trying to sneak up from, and plasma missiles will do less damage than the armor piercing ones, due to their fire resistance, but they will still hurt it. We could try rigging up some explosives on a tripwire, then lure the hydra into it. Once the fight starts up, the dragon will be hard pressed not to pursue a fleeing foe if it thinks that the fight is going against its target. I have a bunch of explosives in the Badger that I picked up that I wouldn't mind using for this. I can start to place them on a path that we can lead it down, and kaboom. Light it up."

O-Ren gives the blind woman a sideways glance, wondering if she is starting to get her memories back. "I like that plan. I'm glad to be a part of that plan. Lets go with it. How long will it take you to set up a nasty blast zone?"

Atlanta shrugs. "Not long at all. I'd say just a few minutes to make a kill zone that even a dragon will feel. I can have it either set off by a tripwire, or by a signal command detonation. Either one will work."

Ozug

Ozug was quite surprised. Sounds like something I would have come up with, had I any explosives. "Sounds like a plan. Lets do it. I'll probably use my laser rifle starting out, should work fine."

"I would offer to help with the bombs, but that is one area that I lack any skill in. Best to leave it to the professionals." O-Ren instead stands guard as Atlanta begins to bury explosives.

"It's not a dragon," Nasoth interrupts after a period of annoyed frowning. "Just like you guys aren't monkeys or dogs, that thing isn't a dragon. It's a hydra. I still don't understand why you care so much about animals killing other animals, but I don't care about it. It's not even cute."

Grond laughs. "Doesn't matter what we want to call it, we have to deal with the critter one way or another. From what O-Ren has told us about Hydras, I don't see us being able to negotiate with it. Atlanta, need any help with the bombs?"

"No. I'm almost done. Then, we can make our own ambush for the guy." She continues to work planting explosives in a circle. "I have these set to go off on a command signal, so we can set it to blow when we want it to go off, right when the hydra is in proper position." She holds up a detonator to show off her work. "Who wants to set it off?"

With the explosives set, you are now ready to take on the monster. Any extra power boosts you want to have set up in advance? Declare them now or wait for the actual combat round.

Ozug

Ozug offers "I could set it off, as I am pretty familiar with explosives, but I'll probably be better off getting into a combat position instead. If no one else can do it though, I'll do it." With that, the ogre readies his weapons for combat.

(Out of Character: If not chosen to be the demolitions trigger, Ozug will spend a few moments to activate PSI: Intuitive Combat, mostly for the initiative and dodge bonuses.)

O-Ren shrugs. "For all I care, you can set the explosives off, just so long as you are careful with the timing. You know exactly where your bombs are set, and have the best feel for where the safe areas will be for us when the time comes. Lets go get us a good fight!"

OOC I'll spend 35 ISP to activate my Enhanced Reflexes, Enhanced Perception and my Psi Shield psi abilities, and 40 PPE to activate my Invulnerability and my last 4 PPE to engage the Armor of Ithan for the extra level of protection. Other than all that, O-Ren is all buffed out and ready to take on a hydra.

Grond is wearing his heavy armor, but he, too, engages his Armor of Ithan power to boost his defenses. In addition, he sets up the Spider Weapon System under heavy cover, programmed to target the hydra when it comes in range. With a satisfied grunt, he says, "For what its worth, that will give us another weapon to hit the hydra with. I'm all set; anyone need to pause for any reason before we go?"

"Fine, then let's call it Grond," Nasoth mumbles under her breath as a she metamorphoses back into her natural shape.

OOC: Activating Intuitive Combat, Armor of Ithan, Impervious to Fire, Magical-Adrenal Rush and my natural Shadow Meld power.
Active bonuses: +2 attacks/round, +6 Initiative, +2 strike, +1 parry, +5 dodge, +1 all saving throws.

Liza Kreuzer

Explosives set to stop the beast, her own gun at the ready - if this is a conflict to be solved by weaponry, the mystic is prepared to do so. She takes a deep breath and speaks a short prayer, until she feels the same fortitude as against the vampires. Once more, her movements seem dance-like, graceful as if she'd not join a battle, but a banquet. She then activates her armor as well, before finally kneeling down: For a short moment, her shape seems to become blurred, as if it'd split up in several distinct figures. It only takes a split-second - then, everything seems to be normal again, besides the fact that there are now four hooded mystics kneeling on the ground, slowly standing up in perfect synchronicity. Likely, the hydra will be able to see through the illusions - but if not, it might save herself, or, more importantly, one of the Misfits.

"Prepared to solve this conflict, in the best way we possibly can." Four mouths seem to speak in unison, as Liza readies herself for the upcoming battle.

OOC: Activating the Armor, Intuitive Combat, and casting Multiple Image.

With the trap set, the team moves forward to the spot where Ozug located the sunbathing hydra. As you crest the hill, you can see the figure of the hydra, right where it is supposed to be. Everything is now set for you to lure the hydra back to where Grond has his robotic rifle set up and Atlanta has the explosives laid out.

Epiphany Epiphany , are you with us? Shall I NPC you for this match?
Esbilon Esbilon you are first up in the initiative order.

Initiative order
Nasoth <====
Ozug
O-Ren
Liza
Atlanta
Hydra
Alley
Grond

Now that battle is joined and magic as well as Adrenalin is pumping in her veins, Nasoth charges cheerfully into battle, waiting until the last moment to leave the cover of shadows, so the Hydra lacks any warning that such a fierce dragon as her is attacking it!

Claw attack: +10 strike, 9d6+2 MD.

The sudden leap into battle does catch the multi-headed monster by surprise, but it is still pretty fast on its feet as it tries to leap backwards out of Nasoth's range, unsuccessfully. Your claws bite deep, but this is no hatchling, and is much older than you. The blow does draw some blood, but this is not going to end quickly.

Vaneheart Vaneheart is up next with Ozug

Initiative order
Nasoth [1]
Ozug <====
O-Ren
Liza
Atlanta
Hydra [1]
Alley
Grond

Ozug

Having left the detonator in Atlanta's hands, the ogre mega-juicer briefly reflected on this as he quickly moved into a couched position in sight of the beast, in a way that he hoped would encourage it to be drawn towards him. Not too long ago, we were worried she might turn on us, now we are giving her bombs. It's been what, four days? We live in interesting times. He was slightly jealous, having tried earlier to find explosives to purchase in Haven for situations just like this, but found none. Seeing Atlanta with new explosives solved that mystery.

With some effort, Ozug cleared his mind, and sighted in on his rifle, as the juicer chemicals flowed through him, and his psi-enhanced intuition further sharpened his already heightened senses. He picked a large spot on the beast and fired.

(Out of Character: Ozug will fire a triple pulse burst from the JA-12 at the hydra, and attempt to get the hydra to follow him into the trap, or help others do so.)

The hydra lets out an angry roar as more attackers suddenly appear and begin peppering it with blaster fire. Ozug manages to tag your target easily, causing some nasty burns to be raised on its scales.

Psychie Psychie is up

Initiative order
Nasoth [1]
Ozug [1]
O-Ren <====
Liza
Atlanta
Hydra [1]
Alley
Grond

O-Ren pops up and fires a burst of her own, then makes a public display of pulling backwards. "That thing is huge! No way its just a hatchling. Pull back!" Just as planned, lets lure the hydra into the bombs.

O-Ren's blast also hits the hydra, doing a good amount of damage to it. There is an angry glare at you from one of the heads of the beast, but it hasn't had a chance to react yet.

Silanon Silanon is up with Liza

Initiative order
Nasoth [1]
Ozug [1]
O-Ren [1]
Liza <====
Atlanta
Hydra [1]
Alley
Grond

Users who are viewing this thread