On the Road

Liza Kreuzer

Freshly showered, with her long, wet hair freely falling over her shoulders, drenching the hoody underneath - even in this moment of harmony and peace, the mystic seems to be slightly absent from the world around her, slowly moving as if she'd dance to a melody only she can hear. That said, she seems more awake than usual, as if she'd absorb this moment of rest in-between two missions that show the status quo of this world.

"Some wicked deeds cannot be prevented, no matter what we try - don't blame yourself for something you didn't cause yourself." It hurts to hear the man talk about his sons, as every single word tells you just how wrong all of this is. "I assume you have a picture of both of your sons, just so we'll recognize them? No, don't stand up, eat up first - there is no need to hurry. I should have asked later on, don't let my eagerness to help disturb your meal. It's been some time since I enjoyed anything close to this, by the way." When you're on travel, you tend to eat whatever you can afford at that moment - a proper meal is a welcome change for the better.

As most seem to have finished, and O-Ren asks for a moment to talk about the offer, she earns an approving nod by the mystic - at least when she indicates that the group is likely to help out. "I'd stay and fight them on my own, if that's what it takes - I'm glad to not be the only one who thinks that way." The agreement seems to shatter, however, as the woman continues to argue in a direction that seems utterly wrong. "You're a knight, O-Ren, right? Supposedly meant to defend the weak, and fight the evil? Is money the only reward you can think of? This man would promise way more than he can afford, just for the hope to see his sons again. Do you want them to return to a ruined place? No matter how things go, he'll spread the word. It's on us to decide what kind of story he'll tell. One of mercenaries, just like all the others? Or one of decent people who did the right thing, potentially inspiring others to finally do the same? For me, that choice is simple: A week's worth of rations, maybe some ammo to replace whatever I'll use along the way - not that much against vampires, I'd assume. Ask for whatever you feel is appropriate, but I won't accept more than that."

Alley Orzech

Freshly washed and clothed, Alley eyes the large meal enviously for a moment before exercising enough self-discipline to inspect the NG-P7s, checking for quality, state of repair, any deficiencies, etc.

Assuming such inspection passes muster, the ex-Coalition scientist tucks into the homemade food with enthusiasm! Once, she might have worried about poisons, toxins, mind-controlling substances. But ever since becoming a time-space anomaly, Alley had very little to worry about on that front!

"I'm in," she says, as much to Grond and his obvious zeal as to anyone else. "But O-Ren speaks a lot of sense. I say we ask Rebecca's father to make us an offer and take it. I'm not much of a haggler, and for a cause this good, I don't want to be."

"It's not about the money," she says, looking to Liza. "We are a mercenary group, though, and if we get a reputation for doing things for free, our income will dry up like a break in the Chi-Town water main. Unless you plan to settle here, Liza, we need revenue to keep going." Alley pauses, looks briefly reflective and then adds "Although that's an interesting idea. I don't want to gut the man financially or ruin this town. If cash is an issue...maybe we collect a deed instead? If Haven's lost people to those vampires already, chances are they've got some now-empty homes, businesses, farms, whatever."

Alley's gaze flickers over Ozug but she finishes by saying "If we don't die in battle, eventually all of us...most of us are going to want out of this life. Haven looks like a nice town. Might be handy to have somewhere to go when enough's enough, you know? A deed's worth something, whether you cash it out or put it to use yourself."

OOC: Sherwood Sherwood Alley's got a Weapons Engineer skill at 59% if you'd like to roll for me when Alley inspects those guns.

O-Ren nods in agreement. "We should not make any plans that would bankrupt this man, but we should try and get something for risking our lives like this. Perhaps we should see what trade goods Dennis has to offer up, so we don't take all of his money." She sees Alley taking a look at the rifles in the crate, and motions over towards her with her hand. "We might be able to acquire more gear that could be useful in dealing with the undead. Wooden rail gun rounds, heavy duty water weapons, silver, stuff like that."

Alley's investigation of the weapons show that they are all in factory fresh condition, complete with packing grease. In order for them to be useable, they will need a good cleaning and a fresh power cell, but other than that, they look to be in great shape.

Grond says, "So, should we call our host back in and ask him what he has in trade goods to offer up?" He looks around at the gathered adventurers. "He may not be able to get us much, but honestly I don't need much, especially against vampires."

Ozug

The ogre was rather surprised at how much support Alley's proposal got. Huh. Didn't expect that. Practical? Go team.

Alley's subsequent words made him consider his own personal motives and situation, and he felt a little sad and uncomfortable. He hadn't had an honest moment of personal introspection in a while, it just didn't come naturally to an ogre, and most juicers just didn't have the time or the patience for it. The idea of investing in a place for the long term, and even the possibility of getting out "the life" entirely, had not been an option he had seriously considered before, especially now. My life has always been one of struggle, violence, hardship, and combat. Maybe even a little suffering and short-sightedness as well. I've been a warrior, a bandit, a killer, a wild hermit, a prisoner, a slave, a farmer, a lawman, a gang enforcer, and now a mega-juicer mercenary. Gun for hire. He looked at Liza. Inhuman monster. All this at only twenty-four summers. He looked down at his bio-comp, and the cables running from it into the bracelets on his arms, always pumping him full of chemicals. Probably not for too much longer. four years, ten months remaining at best, maybe a few weeks after that. Then last call. Boom! He sighed, and frowned in bleak sadness. I deserve it. After the time with the Bonerippers...could be I am the only one of those accursed bastards left. Wouldn't that be something? They all deserved to die. Well, most of them. By Hades, a cyberknight like O-Ren might kill me herself if she knew all the things I had done, all the things I was helpless to prevent, or just stood by and watched, powerless to stop.

He stared a moment into space as his mind left the memories of a buried past. But all I want now is to make a difference in people's lives for the better, make amends, and be remembered as a decent ogre, instead of a scumbag like the others. Have a good time, enjoy the ride while it lasts. Maybe make some credits and open up a bar that could be named after me. He smirked sadly. Ozug's. Has a nice ring to it. I hope I live long enough to see it.

His mind grasped and held onto that last thought. What if I could live longer? Life is cheap here on Rifts Earth, I could be killed even now. But... He stared down at his strong hands and claws for a moment. Give up all this strength, this raw power, and detox. I'd have to do it in a year and a half, maybe two and a half years if I get a really good doc. He visibly shuddered, and closed his eyes. I'd have to start over. Be worse off than before I was juiced. I'd be a burnt out husk, a shell, with a long recovery ahead. Who would want a burn-out ogre? What use to anyone would I be then? What would I even live for?

The bio-comp, perhaps sensing his darkening mood, changed the chemicals in his system, and a wave of pleasant euphoria washed across him. He perked up a little, sighed contentedly, and smiled. No, no Ozug. Only fate for you is death. There is no spring, only a memory. Maybe you can take some of the bad guys with you when you blow up.

He opened his eyes, stood up from the floor and casually stretched a little. He then went over to the group where they were discussing things. He spoke a little slowly and low in volume, the combination of the calming juicer chemicals from the bio-comp, the euphoric haze, and his rough grasp of American drawing out the words. "I don't blame you guys for being conflicted." He tried to smile in a way that he thought was supportingly at Liza. "Truth be told, if the circumstances were a little better, I'd do this for free. No one deserves to be kidnapped by monsters, and no one deserves to be turned into one. Especially not kids." He sighed. "Stonewell said it was somewhere around twenty-five to fifty vampires. That sounds like a lot of danger for us to handle, especially if we are limited to crap toys like wooden sticks and squirt guns. I am not saying we can't do it." He grinned momentarily. "We have quite a crew here. Even an Anti-Monster, a Dragon, and a Cyberknight. That's pretty intense. Our options will just be more restricted than usual." He sighed. "It could also be disheartening and futile. We could be tracking these vamps for quite some time, and two days isn't much time, even for things that can only travel at night. Unless we hire a psi-stalker, a dog boy to smell the boy's scents, or have some mystical way of tracking them, it's going to go slow. Especially in the aftermath of a battle. And if Sir Talbert finds them first, that might take any rewards off the table." He looked at everyone. "I am a pretty good tracker and scout, but I'm not a police officer, nor a detective. I don't know how any of you rate for investigation, but I am certain you are better than me. I also don't know too much about vampires, so I'll be following your leads here." He smiled. "You guys and gals are smart. I trust you."

"As far as payment goes, I suspect our host might be decent at getting equipment. In addition to getting stuff to fight vampires, I'd be open to taking less in credits for property as Alley suggested, supplies, and maybe a few key weapons." He smiled. "Been wanting some vibro blades, and one of those forearm weapon systems I keep hearing about out of Chi-Town's black market. Maybe some of those new stealth systems and rifle optics from Northern Gun. Would be neat. Or, hey, if he knows a good lead on a vehicle, I would love a hovercycle." He shrugged. "Zone Ranger is getting kinda cramped these days. I am envious of O-Ren."

He looked over at Atlanta, then back at the group. "So...uh, speaking of that...what should we do about Atlanta? Do we add her in on this? I mean, she did let me toss the communicator, so that's something. Has anyone found out any more about her?"

OOC: It's all gals, Ozug ;)

Nasoth doesn't actually know how to bathe, but based on the enthusiasm shown by the others, it's clearly something she has has to try! The experience is... mixed. Her clothes get wet (useless, getting-in-the-way rags that they are), adjusting the water temperature is fun, though, particularly turning it all the way up! The fire on her skin lighting up the fire in her belly. Once she leaves the bathroom, Alley is helpfully on hand to inform her that you're meant to take off your clothes while showering, so that you can put them on dry afterwards. Nasoth frowns, still not understanding clothes. But rules are rules, so she transfigures them dry again.

At the mean, she makes sure to taste everything. That there are so many different (and delicious!) flavors is a wonder to her, and if it were not for Xera's interference, she would surely have eaten half a gallon of cranberry sauce by herself. "Why does anyone ever eat people raw when they can get something like this?" She wonders to herself, hopefully too low for any of their hosts to hear her.

She spends the time the others talk about payment and goodness and mercenaries being rather puzzled. "Maybe this is a stupid question," she begins as the others have spoken their respective pieces, "but what actually are credits? Why do you care so much about them? How many do you need before you can 'get out of this life?'" She asks.

O-Ren lets out a laugh. "Sometimes I have to be reminded that you are still so young. What are credits? They are a symbol, given value by mutual agreement, to represent the ability to buy various goods and services. As a dragon, you are not in as much need of them to sustain your life. You can eat when you want to, but the magic rich world you live in sustains you. You can buy clothes if you want, but when you are metamorphed, you can make most of what you desire. Weapons? Not a huge need for you, either. But, for me, or Alley for example, we need food and shelter, and credits are what we use to buy that. Ammunition for our weapons also takes up a large chunk of money, along with repairs and maintenance on the vehicles. If you look at the whole system of being able to buy stuff like this, it seems somewhat strange, but it is a system that has been in use for ages."

She is quiet for a moment, deep in thought. "I have often wondered what I might do with my life, if I were not a adventurer. I have had the calling to protect others from the monsters of the world for years, and I cannot see myself doing anything else for a very long time. Someday, I might find myself wanting to settle down in one place, and a quiet town like Haven would make a very nice place to do so, just like Sir Talbert has. Until that day, however, I will be out in the field doing what I can to make this world a better place for everyone." O-Ren folds her hands in her lap and leans back in her seat. "Let us ask our host to come back in, and we will tell him that we are going to try and rescue his sons, and we will accept any money or items he feels appropriate to give us. That way, we can both gain some more good will with the locals, and get some much needed supplies and credits to keep ourselves in business. Anything else than that and I would not feel comfortable accepting."

Ozug

He blinked in surprise at Nasoth, then smiled and chuckled good naturedly, and said "Sounds good O-Ren. I agree with accepting what he feels is fair. Uh, what are we going to do about Atlanta though? Should be something we should address before bringing the host in, right? She's kinda our problem, not his. Also, should we see if he knows any Psi-Stalkers or Dog-Boys for hire? We might need a good tracker that knows the smell of vampires, since we're already a step behind." He frowned in concentration. "Or a regular vampire hunter? Are professional vampire hunters a thing?"

Grond nods as Ozug talks, then says, "I can do a good job tracking and hunting down the vamps; I have much practice at it working with other vampire hunters in Columbia before I made the move to North America. If we have to face off against a large number of undead, we will be in trouble without some help, since the vampires are very hard to kill. Perhaps we can join with this Cyber Knight Sir Talbert for the hunt? That would help give us the numbers we'd need to face them and come back out alive."

He ponders for a moment, then begins to discuss the issue of Atlanta. "She is a wild card. I just don't know what to do with her. If she regains her memories, she might revert to her more hostile nature and turn on us. If we have her with us, we can teach her how to be a good person through our own actions. Leaving her here might also be helpful to her in developing a conscience, but if she suddenly gets her memories back, Dennis doesn't seem to have the same level of combat expertise to be able to deal with a Blind Warrior Woman going nuts on him. If I were to place a vote, I would say bring her with us to keep an eye on her. In the meantime, lets inform Dennis as to our plans to help recover his sons."

Alley Orzech

"Guns are good," she declares to her team, finishing her inspection and crating them back up.

As the team debates the morality of what they do, Alley slowly relaxes by inches. Despite her unvoiced misgivings about the company she keeps, everyone seems to reflect a strong moral center. Even the Ogre. Maybe especially the Ogre. Ozug's remarks about doing this for the kids causes the ex-Coalition scientist's eyes to water briefly, dealt with by covering her mouth with her sleeve while she coughs...and surreptitiously removing the moisture with it.

Ozug's remarks about tracking actually make her think of something.

"Um. I could run back the way we came and pick up that Dog Boy. The German Sheppard with the mercenaries who, er, got away? He might feel grateful that we didn't kill him when we had the chance. It's some distance but...well, if I run it, I should be able to get there and back by tonight. If we really want a tracker."

Alley shifts uncomfortably. She hadn't been with the Misfits that long and she'd sold herself to them on the merit of her mechanical aptitude combined with some temporal powers. They knew she could speed people up or slow them down. But she hadn't really cut loose with the full extent of her speed. Although it's not technically 'speed' so much as that anomaly shifted my temporal reference frame in relation with other proximal objects ahead of the median passage of time. Calling it acceleration is misleading...not that any of the Misfits would care.

Either way, that German Sheppard was hundreds of miles away...and she could still run him down and run the both of them back in a matter of hours.

"If Grond feels up for the tracking himself, fine, but I can get that Dog Boy if it's a surer bet. As for Atlanta, let's take her with us. Safer for the civilians, easier for us and I think there's more likelihood of good outcomes than bad ones. Worst comes to worst, I counterclockwise her and we shut her down."

"We've probably talked long enough, though. Let's see what Dad's up for."

Once called, Dennis Stonewell comes back into the main dining hall with an anxious look on his face. Grond is quick to put him at ease, though. "Sir, we are willing to help you out, on the condition that we do receive some sort of compensation for our efforts. But, we are not looking to bankrupt you, so, we leave it in your hands to see what you would like to suggest as payment?"

Dennis looks relieved. "I don't know how to thank you." He takes a moment to compose himself before continuing. "I have some military grade hardware that you may be interested in. Some of it is . . . quite expensive, but if you can bring me back my sons alive, I could be willing to part with it. Please, come with me."

He leads you outside to a large barn. At first glance, it appears to be a normal wooden structure. But a closer look shows that the building is a steel reinforced concrete bunker, a heavy MDC structure roughly fifty feet long, thirty feet wide and thirty feet tall, all of it well disguised as a wooden building. A large lock secures the massive double doors that requires a bit of wrangling to get undone. Just before the door is opened, Dennis looks at you. "Just to let you know, I was . . . Hell. I was a arms dealer up north for many years, and when I decided to retire and move here, I took a large amount of my left over inventory with me. I have lots of guns . . . but I think what will interest you the most is the Badger. It is a big all terrain vehicle that is quite a bit roomier than your current ride, and it is well armored and has a good amount of guns on it. I have been keeping ahold of it for a long time now, not really sure for what reason I haven't parted with it yet. But, if you can bring me back my boys, I will give it to you, free and clear. Take a look."

Dennis opens the door and inside the bunker is a large armored vehicle that dominates the inside of the place. Twenty feet tall, thirteen feet wide and almost forty feet long, it is a large, four wheeled armored car with a plasma canon on top, a rail gun in its nose, and a box missile launcher on the side.

upload_2017-3-9_22-39-8.png

The vehicle is a dual level monster, with a standard crew space that can hold nine people with comfort, and a lower cargo bay that can house up to another fourteen people with ease; twelve and twenty if you squeeze in tight. Finally, there is a rear observation platform that can hold Nasoth in his natural form with room to spare.

Grond lets out a low whistle as he looks up at the Badger. "Wow. That. Is. Impressive. I certainly was not expecting this. Are you sure you are willing to part with such a prize?"

"Yes. You bring me my boys back home, and it is yours."

Ozug

The ogre juicer was quite surprised at Alley's offer. "The Dog Boy from before? Well, if you think he'd be up for...it...uh..." he trailed off. Perhaps it was the juicer chemicals slowing his mind, but it suddenly dawned on him what Alley was really offering, to be able to run at her blazing speed, get a person who was days out at best, and bring him back in only a few hours. He was stunned, and blinked stupidly for a moment in incomprehension. "Uh, yeah, that sounds like a good idea. If he's up for some pay, and doesn't have any hard feelings. We can cut him in. We'll have to watch him carefully though. Don't want him leading his bounty-hunter buddies here to try another crack at Rebecca while we're vamp-hunting. Pretty sure that CS bounty is probably still good, even if they have to take her from here." He smiled nervously at Alley. "Maybe he'll share out sentiments about vampires and kidnappers?" He briefly stared at Alley appraisingly. She's full of surprises.

He looked over at Liza. "Hey that reminds me. Did you have any more visions about Rebecca? Your last vision sounded pretty intense. Do you think the vampires want her for some unusual reason? Could be drawing us out to get at her unguarded." He frowned, suddenly embarrassed by his own behavior. "I'm sorry Liza, I'm sure you're tired of people asking you about visions all the time. I don't understand how they work for you, my experiences with seers and shamans usually involve them taking a lot of devil weed and something the Fennodi call peyote or something. I think it's a cactus." He shrugged. "I'm just trying to be cautious is all. We worked so hard to get her here, would be tragic to suddenly lose her now. Although I'm not sure what precautious we could take, even if they did, what with everything going on."

Ozug then looked at Grond. He had no idea how Anti-Monsters worked, and barely understood what they were, outside of perhaps a magical bionic cyborg, or robot, but he had learned to respect Grond's judgement, even though the Anti-Monster secretly frightened him. "Wow, you have quite a history. We should get someone else to drive next time, so you and I could chat on the long trips." He grinned toothily. "Plus you owe me another game of cards." His tone grew serious again. "If you can track them, that would be great. Yeah, I would be all for teaming up with Sir Talbert and his crew, even if it meant a paycut or a split. We need all hands for this threat if we want the boys back alive." He glanced at Atlanta. "Guess that includes her too. If everyone agrees, we should get her up to speed, come up with a tac-plan, add her to our comms-net, and give her some vamp-slaying weapons out of our stash if she needs them. Going to have to be all-in with her, since we'll be taking her into combat, and might have to depend on her. I think Liza has her watched pretty well." So do I, he thought grimly. He sincerely hoped he wouldn't have to kill her.

Ozug was quite pleased at the offer of military grade hardware. When Dennis Stonewell led them to the "not-a-barn" hidden bunker, and mentioned being an arms dealer, the ogre grinned and chuckled to himself. Called it. Am I good or what?

Upon being shown the Badger, he was floored. "Whooaaa! That's awesome! Ain't no kill quite like overkill! Are you ladies seeing this? Wow!"

Liza Kreuzer

Settle down, in a place like this one, living in peace with the knowledge that somewhere else, people are in dire need? She could have had that, right from the beginning - sitting there, idly watching how others die, behind high technology defenses only the boldest young mechanic could ever dream of. Needless to say, she has decided otherwise - spoke to those who apparently were too different to talk to. Got rejected, and still returned on her own, as noone else believed that things could be changed. Until at last, she was a stranger to both sides, leaving everything behind to find a place where people were willing to listen. The Misfits have been kind in that regard, a fortunate encounter right when she wondered what the hell she was looking for on the other side of the big pond. Time will tell how long it takes until her magic will estrange herself from them as well. Until then, there are good deeds to be done.

So no, settling down is not an option, and Liza is not as naive as to believe that they'll get along without any money at all - but there are crates waiting inside to cover the expenses of the near future. She's about to remark that, but decides otherwise - she's made her point, and can always do her best to repay the man if he offers too much for something that should not be paid in the first place. As for the reputation: "I wouldn't mind being known for doing good deeds for free. There are always tasks that ask for a proper payment - it's just that this one is not one of them."

There are other things to decide as well - Atlanta's future, a possible scout to find the vampires, grouping up with the local cyber knight. Her visions, surprisingly. She answers the ogre's question first. "No visions of Atlanta, at all. As if her future was as open as you could imagine. Might be the opposite as well, though, it's hard to tell. As for Rebecca: Nothing since my first vision. I don't know if the vampire's appearance told us about the attack that took place, or another one that's about to happen. Time is a fickle thing, and you'll rarely dream of a clock that shows the exact time when things are about to happen." She pauses for a moment, her look thoughtful, a hidden pain in there as if thriving in past memories. "And I do not mind your questions. If more people would ask instead of condemning things right from the start - this world would be much different. You don't need drugs or anything to see the future - you just need to believe that it can be seen. Might be that I can get another glimpse later on, I will do my best once the other things are settled."

In case of Atlanta, everything seems to be said - no way you'd leave her behind without anyone watching her, and they'll need everyone to free the brothers. The mystic nods in agreement with Ozug, a smile on her lips as he mentions her watching the guest. As for the other points: "If you ask me, we're likely to run into the other group sooner rather than later - as long as we're on the right track, that is. If not, two groups will more likely find their shelter than one. And while I know a Dog Boy could find the vampires, I'd assume that between Grond's experience and our senses, we should be able to find them either way. I'd hope the one we spared grouped up with the mercs again, and is busy getting the borg repaired and finding another, more worthwhile task. Hard to find them, probably - and we have only so much time to spare." Liza pauses for a moment, considering what the scientist's words truly meant. "That said - sometimes gifts are calling to be used, at least in my case. If you feel like it's the proper thing to do, I'm not the one to object."

Finally, when the discussion ends and the host presents what he'd consider to be a fair payment, the mystic remains silent for a moment. 'Rations and ammunition' is what she said; not 'a goddamn vehicle, big enough to carry a dragon in her natural form and with enough weaponry to blow up a whole convoy if used properly'. "Yes, I do see it, though I'm not as ecstatic as you are", is her answer to the ogre's question, before she turns to Dennis. "Listen, I know that your sons' lives are more important than anything else right now. But this is simply too much. Who knows what the future will hold? Your sons will grow up, and this place might change. It might become more dangerous, or one of them will decide to leave it behind. This vehicle could save them later on, and at least two dozens of their friends, workers and neighbors with them. I cannot accept this as a payment, not for something that should not be paid at all." She pauses, looking around in hope that someone else agrees. Unlikely, but the only way out - it's not like she could forgo her share, leaving the main gun and one of the tires behind.

O-Ren's hand goes up to her mouth in amazement at the sight of the vehicle. Well, we were getting cramped in the Zone Ranger. But still! This is . . . incredible that he would be willing to offer this! "I would say that this is too much to offer, also. Surely you have other potential buyers that you could sell this to? Or, as Liza said, give it to your own children? If you insist, I'm sure we could find a good use for this, but my goodness this is a lot to offer."

Dennis chuckles. "You don't know how much my boys are worth to me. I'm trying to leave the arms business behind, and this is one of the last pieces of that life that I have left. But, if you guys want to take a pass on the Badger, I have rifles aplenty, along with crates of ammo. Its up to you, but as I said, I will only give it to you if you manage to bring my sons back home alive. If they have been killed and you can recover their bodies, the Badger is off the table."

At this point, one of the farm hands calls out, "Mr. Stonewell! A horseman is coming up the road!"

"Lets see who it is that is coming to visit." He ushers you out of the bunker and locks it back up once more before the man on a robot horse comes trotting up. It is someone that Dennis recognizes. "That's Underdog. He's a Crazy that works with Sir Talbert as Haven's security. Hopefully he has some word about the boys for me." In a louder voice, he calls out, "Welcome, Underdog. Come on up. Tell me that you have some good news."

The Crazy nods. "Aye, somewhat good, but somewhat bad, too. Duncan and Marcos has tracked the vampires to a lair, but he says that there are too many vampires to handle with just the two of them. I'm on my way with Tony and Tia to join him, but even so, we are going to be outnumbered." He looks at the assembled Misfits, his eyes lingering on both Grond and Ozug. "Are these the mercs you hired to bring your kid back home? A ogre and a Anti-Monster would be a valuable asset in this fight, if you are game to join us."

O-Ren steps forward with a nod. "Yes, we are. Dennis has already asked us to help find his sons, and knowing that Sir Talbert has found their nest makes our task that much easier. I am O-Ren, a Cyber Knight just like Sir Talbert, and these are my friends, skilled adventurers all. I can be ready to fight as soon as I gather up my gear. Tell me, please, did Sir Talbert tell you how many vampires he suspects are in the nest?"

Underdog looks pleased. "Good to have you along, Sir Knight, along with your friends. I may be Crazy, but I'm not stupid; fighting all these bloodsuckers would have been a tough run, but now we have a good shot at this. Duncan tells me that he suspects that there are thirty to forty vampires in this band. Its the largest group that we've had running around these parts in a long time. Now, I'm going to be meeting up with Tony and Tia at the edge of town, and the sooner you can be on the road, the better."

Grond nods. "We understand. Ok, you guys suit up and get ready to fight while I drive us into the area, then I'll snag my rail gun and load up the wood rounds for it. Mr. Stonewell, with any luck, we'll be back with your boys by morning."

Liza Kreuzer

"No time to waste, then." Suddenly, all considerations are meaningless, with the location of the vampires suddenly given away. "We'll decide things once your two sons are back safely." Hopefully, that'll be the case - if there's any justice in the world, it will. There is not much to be done in preparation apart from grapping her staff, everything else is still in the Zone Ranger. The mystic takes her seat, and looks back at the farm buldings while waiting for the others. A place of peace - a man trying to leave his business of death behind, opening a different future for his children. Somehow, fate always seems to strike those down who deserve it the least. She grabs for her flute, plays a few sad tunes. Then her eyes slowly close as the present fades away, and her mind tries to pierce through the future's curtain, in hopes to see a possible danger hitting this place once again.

OOC: I think it should have been 24 hours since I tried to see Rebecca's future, right? If not, just ignore the attempt to use clairvoyance, since I can only do it twice a day. If it's possible, I want to see something about the farm's future.

Grond takes a moment to ask the group, "Who here needs a anti-vampire weapon? I know that O-Ren has silver rounds for her shotgun, and her Psi Sword will work on them, too. I have a rail gun with wooden rounds that can shred vampires, but it is large, and I think that only Ozug would be able to use it without difficulty. Alley? Liza? What of you ladies? Do we need to borrow a weapon for you to use from Dennis?"

Liza enters into her trance once more, this time to look into the fate of the farm. She gets a vision of a much older Dennis still tending to his farm, long into the future. It would seem that the only troubles that the farm has to face is the occasional drought or other problem that has plagued farmers since the very first days of agriculture. No signs of a serious attack on the place can be seen.

Alley Orzech

There's no question the team's mechanic is impressed with the giant Badger. And annoyed by Liza's immediate disinterest if not outright refusal of the vehicle. She thinks about making an argument but the arrival of Underdog the Crazy settles the immediate debate, and makes her potential trip unnecessary. Just as well. She'd made a couple of trips around the country at full sprint but she didn't especially want the Coalition to notice a superhumanly fast speedster freak and connect the dots back to her.

The news of thirty to forty vampires is sobering. Even with her inhuman abilities, those monsters were nigh-invulnerable. What could she really do to them? Grond's question is a natural lead in, thankfully.

"Uh. Yeah. I've got two energy pistols and my assault rifle but none of that gear's specced for fighting vampires. I've got my cross and that's about it. Wish I had time to, say, build and mount a water tank on top of that Badger there. A thousand gallon capacity with some one inch hoselay and you'd have the vampire equivalent of a gatling gun. Actually...if you have the materials, I might be able to build something fast for tonight."

She flips out a sketchbook and her hand literally blurs as she sketches three pages of diagrams in a matter of seconds. She's about to start on the fourth when her pencil's friction against the paper actually catches the sketchbook on fire, causing her to swear at length and stomp it out. Looking up a bit sheepishly at her team, she says "I'll need hose. I think everything else I can scavenge from what I see around here, assuming you guys don't mind doing without the tow cable engine for a little while."

Dennis leans over and stares in open mouthed amazement at just how fast that Alley is able to draw. "Holy crap, you're fast! That goes into the 'well, duh, Captain Obvious' category, right? Well, I have wooden ammo that can be loaded into the ball turret rail gun, and the rear observation platform can easily house a high pressure water cannon. I have all the parts and supplies here that you'd need to mount one."

Grond seems pleasantly pleased. "Sounds good, you two. We will just need to figure out who is going to be working what weapon."

Atlanta suddenly pipes in, "I can operate the rail gun; its simple enough, and I know how to use it. Other than that, I would need a special weapon to do anything to the vampires. My energy rifle won't work on them."

The Borg looks at her with surprise that she has suddenly spoken, but nods. "That will work. We will be able to do some real damage to them, with you and Ozug with the wooden rounds, Alley with the water cannon, O-Ren with her auto-shotgun, all firing at range, and then there is Nasoth and myself able to go into hand to hand and tear the vamps up. We just need something for Liza to bring into the fight. Xera, you can help us by keeping an extra set of eyes out and open, to make sure that there are no attempts to get past us and attack from the rear. Dennis, I can help to hook the water cannon up if you'd like."

The man nods. "Lets get to work. Underdog, can you wait for a half hour? By then, these good people will be ready to go."

The Crazy nods. "Aye. That can work for me."

While the water cannon is getting mounted on the observation platform of the Badger, O-Ren is quickly getting into her heavy body armor and is pulling out her auto shotgun and is loading it with the anti-vampire rounds that she bought so long ago. Good decision there, to stock up on a case of this stuff. Ever the wise one, right girl? Damn straight I am!

"Well, we are certainly getting set for a good fight. Liza, I know you have some magic; do you have any spells of an offensive nature that would work on these things? Or are we going to have to get you a wood or silver weapon? I don't want anyone unable to defend themselves."

Liza Kreuzer

For a moment, the mystic simply sits there, eyes closed, a smile on her lips. A glimpse of the future, comforting this time - the promise that not everything in this world will decay just yet. For years to come, this shall be a place where people find rest and shelter, and where hospitality can be found. The cyber knight's words interrupt her thoughts - but also remind her of the task ahead. Because truly, the first people to find peace at this place should not be strangers like the Misfits, or even worse company - but his sons themselves, preferably sooner rather than later.

She opens her eyes, her right hand grabbing for the wooden quarterstaff leaning against the vehicle door. "Never fought those beasts, really - only heard the stories. Hope this one will do the job if necessary - other than that, I've got prayers to offer, a cross, a bit of daylight, some other trickeries. Nothing that would immediately kill a vampire, or anyone, really - that's just who I am, for the better or worse."

Ozug

Ozug's good mood and excitement over the weapons offer and the impressive Badger transport was a bit deflated by the adverse reactions of some of the other Misfits, especially Liza, who seemed to him to be almost hostile to the idea, but he felt they could discuss it as a group later, if and when they found Stonewell's sons. His attention was gained by the sudden arrival of the robot-horse-riding Crazy, Underdog, and the news he brought. Thirty to forty vampires, who are nearly invulnerable to most things. This is going to get rough. He glanced around at the assembled group, and a cold dread filled him. I am glad we will have this Sir Talbert, Underdog, and the rest of his band to assist. Some of the Misfits are a little green when it comes to the realities of carnage and war. They might not have the stomach to face heartless inhuman monsters. This might be our last night together as a whole. I hope we don't lose anyone.

In response to Grond's question, he said "I have a few trinkets the Old Gypsy Woman gave me, a silver cross necklace, some wooden stakes, and a wooden crucifix. I also picked up some silver rounds for my hunting gun." He patted the ancient chromed Desert Eagle pistol in the holster on his side. "I didn't have vampires in mind when I got the silver bullets though. Was planning on using them on the juicer zombies that rumors said were running around Kingsdale for a while, but I never saw one before I left." He shrugged. "Even so, I would happily take a rail gun with some wooden rounds if available. Otherwise, I might need to find a good wooden club or something. Sounds as if my usual weapons are about as useful as fighting a Brodkil with a kitchen knife right now." He thought for a moment, then added. "If a rail gun is available, I will happily free up my pistol to anyone who needs it."

He frowned, considered the situation, and said grimly "We might want to plan and pack for the long trip on this. Not going to be a lot of time for rest or resupply, with only two more days, so bring extra stims, medkits, ammo, lots of water, and quick field rations. The vampires might have split into multiple groups. Mr. Stonewell's boys might not be at this nest, and our tracking ideas and options we discussed earlier are still worth considering after this cleanup. This might not be as direct as we thought." He thought of a quote he had heard attributed to Julian the First, a famous leader of juicers, if anyone could be considered such, and added "No good plan survives first contact with the enemy. We should hope for the best, but expect and plan for the worst. Be prepared to adapt and improvise as needed."

As Alley drew, he stared transfixed at the speed, and was soon unable to follow it. I can dodge bullets, lasers, and energy blasts, yet my eyes can't follow this. This is something else. This is to juicers, what juicers are to squishies. He audibly yelped in surprise when the book suddenly caught fire, and he stepped back. He felt awkward and embarrassed, after being so transfixed on the scene. He just barely heard Atlanta pipe in about rail guns, and looked surprised at her, but said nothing. All in, remember? That was even your idea. Got to give her some rope and hope she doesn't hang us with it.

Grond's continued conversation with Underdog got his attention, and the ogre realized he was still in his regular clothes. Forgot. These clothes are too light and comfortable. Time to suit back up. He raced inside the house, grabbed his duffel bag, and went back to the Zone Ranger. He quickly changed back into his heavy combat armor, his weapon harness, and his scout pack. It feels good to be back in armor. Less naked. While he kept almost all of his usual equipment on, including his grenades and the long pistol, he decided to leave the JA-12 laser rifle, the RL-6, and the plasma flamethrower loose, but generally stowed. Don't think I'll need these. They won't work. Going to miss the optics on the rifle. I should buy a multi-optics package for my helmet. Probably don't need the pistol or grenades, but who knows what else we might fight? What if they have servants or hired mercs? Do vampires do that? Would make sense if you can't be out during the day.

Once dressed and equipped, he felt he was ready to go, and rejoined Grond and Underdog. He noticed that his previous drug-induced haze had faded entirely by the evening's unexpected excitement, and sadly realized he missed the pleasant tingle across his nerves. He looked at the robot-horse-riding Crazy, and spoke. "Greetings Underdog, I am Ozug. Do you know anything about the layout around the nest? Or anything about the route to it? Since we have a few minutes while the others modify the equipment, it would be good to get some ideas, so we can come up with a little of a plan ahead of time, in case we get ambushed on the way there, or arrive to find an unexpected situation. Did these vampires have any non-vampire servants or followers to contend with? Were they armed or armored? Would hate to show up armed for cougar and instead face bear, if you know what I mean." He paused, then added "We should also share radio frequencies."

He looked at Dennis Stonewell, and said concernedly "Mr. Stonewell, it might just be my overly cautious nature, or perhaps even the juice making me a bit jumpy, but I feel that you, Rebecca, and any others remaining here, should bunker down somewhere safe and secure as possible from these vampires while we are out. I have a bad feeling that there is more going on here than we realize, and I would hate for anything to happen to you or your family while we are away, and thus unable to help."

(Out of Character: What time of day is it right now?)

It is currently late afternoon. You have only a few hours of sunlight left for the day.

Underdog offer a handshake to Ozug. "Good to meet you. You have a lot of questions, but I don't have the answers yet. Duncan didn't give me any details on the layout of the nest, or if they have any weapons besides their own claws and teeth. All of that will come when we meet up to hit the nest. We are planning on meeting up a distance away from the nest, then move in on the fiends and stake them all out. Here. I have some radio freqs for you."

In a louder voice, he calls out, "Not everyone has had any experience in dealing with vampires. Here is a quick summary of what to do. Normal bullets or energy blasts do nothing to a vampire. You need wood, silver, magic, or water to kill them. Also, a vamp can take tremendous damage and come back for more. Blow off its arms, and it heals. Blow off its head, the thing is not dead yet. The best ways to perma-kill a vamp is to cut off the head and completely burn up the head and body in separate bonfires, total emersion in running water, or true sunlight. Supernatural creatures like this guy," he motions over at Grond, "can face off against a vampire toe-to-toe and do some damage. I think that Ozug as a Mega-Juicer can, too. But the rules on perma-killing them are still the same. Incapacitate them, cut off the head and either burn the pieces as far apart as you can or let them dissolve in running water until gone. That, or stake them out and watch the light from the sun burn them away. Any questions?"

Users who are viewing this thread