• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Futuristic Old Universes | Main Thread

OOC
Here
Characters
Here
Lore
Here
Character: Mojisola Nazunagy
Interacting With: Green

She listened avidly, soaking up his story with as much attention as she could, even stopping from her final modifications at one point to listen with full focus. It was an odd tale, not too unlike the many stories she had heard from other races detailing events from the old universe, but his alone held the sorrowful regret of an old soul who had taken its teachings to heart. The wonderment he felt she could see in his eyes, the spark of inspiration that only an orator of true belief could lend. It was a fine tale despite its bitter ending.

And then he discharged his pistol off towards the corner of the room. Moji jumped in sudden shock, having the low hum of the newly minted engine pumps pierced by the searing crackle of moisture instantly boiled out of the air by laser emission. The snap vanished as suddenly as it had appeared, leaving only a scorched pile of...something, in its wake. She glanced at him and then to the place where he had fired, seeing the smoldering bits lying amidst the refuse cables, shielding, and pipes.

“W-well,” she stuttered, “You got it, whatever it was!” she cleared her throat and turned back to the control panel beside her.

Replacing the safety cover and reactivating it, the display flashed to life with a newly invigorated blue glow, a series of commands flickered to life on its face. She navigated through a list of dialogues until finally she arrived at the appropriate, “Manual Activation” button. With a sigh, she looked over her shoulder to Green and smirked, “Cross your fingers!” as she raised her left hand and crossed her own fingers.

With the gentle press on the display, the screen fizzled between a rapidly changing set of menus and equations until finally the entire engine room sprang to life. The sound of various liquids quickly flooding the pipe networks around the ship began to give a new vibrance to the otherwise dull atmosphere, and the steam that had previously been billowing out of many of the overheating ventilation grills dissipated.

Moji let out a sigh of relief and looked over to Green who seemed contented by the new found atmosphere, the signs of a job well done. Moji then pulled from her back a small pouch and reached deep inside one of the larger pockets to retrieved two small metal liquid canisters. Unclasping the seals on top, she offered one out to him and Green happily accepted it with a toothy grin.

“I was saving these for tonight to break the ice with the others, but I think after all this, no reason we couldn’t have a little celebration ourselves!” she held out her own and offered it for a toast, “Cheers!” she giggled cheerfully.

Aethesian Moonshine was an interesting brew, tasting mostly like the oil and sublight fuel that were used to manufacture it. Glossy, metallic, grey, was it’s complexion with a mostly opaque viscous consistency, it burned with a searing cold as it slid down the throat with the taste of putrid mechanical emissions. Only once finished did the bittersweet aftertaste warm the mouth and stomach, it was impossible the describe the flavor without thinking of delicut, twinkling, starlight.

The “Aethesians” were an ingenious and industrious race, though Moji had never met one face to face. Their ability to fabricate complex chemicals, machines, and tools from only the most basic of ingredients was one of the reasons why she decided to become a scaver in the first place. Desperation, it seems, is the mother of invention out here in the depths of space.

After a long, burning, pull of the Moonshine, Moji gasped, grimacing, looking to Green with one eye open as the other was clenched firmly shut from the taste, while for him it appeared it did not faze him at all.

“You know, about what you said before, I don’t actually have much of anything,” She finally said, piping up over the warm hum of the revitalized engines, “I know it’s hard to tell, since I’m told most humans don’t look all to different from one another in the perspective of other species. I’m not really sure what it really means to be human.” Moji rolled up her sleeves revealing the injection port on her right arm and the barcoded tattoo on her left, “Mojisola Nazunagy, 764-H323,” she took another short sip of her Moonshine before continuing.

“Do you know who that is? Because I sure don’t. The people who found me thawed me out from an old research station cryopod. It was like waking up from a bad dream. Strange people, speaking in a bizarre language, waving around guns, prodding you with tools…” She slid over the metal crate from earlier and sat down upon it. “It took me a few days to get wise on what it was they were planning to do with me. It wasn’t pleasant. I thought I could trust them at first, one of the humans aboard the ship, a doctor, looked me over and gave me a diagnosis - ‘Freezer Burn’ pretty catchy isn’t it? It’s essentially a short hand for ‘Damaged Goods’ as they put it…” She looked at her left arm and pondered for a moment, then looked up at Green, “At a glance I may look human, but humans don’t seem to think so. I’m a Thing to them. An other. So when they thawed me out, it was more a matter of morbid curiosity, to pull out this relic of the past then peel it open to see what makes it work. When I opened my eyes for the first time, their curiosity turned to disgust, terror, like I was some monster of old.”

She shifted in her seat, tapping her drink against the crate and running a hand through her hair, looking to her boots for a moment, “A freak,” she mumbled, “Look, what I’m trying to say is that we’re not too dissimilar from each other. I’m not some idyllic tourist with stars in her eyes. I’m just a fellow scavenger with a goal, a gun, and a drink in my hand. As far as I’m concerned, where we come from or why we’re here doesn’t matter. So long as we can trust each other, what we do now will define us.”

With that Moji stood up, taking a much longer drink of her moonshine and let out an exasperated sigh, she grabbed her tools from the ground and packed them away before finally turning to Green with a big smile, “Either way, it was nice sharing stories, let's find Markus and see if we can loosen him up too!”

Character: Markus Gray
Interacting With: N/A

Markus watched the others filter out of the room, leaving him once again in the silence of the control deck. He simply sat there a moment, taking the view in for a second more, before standing up and cracking his back with both hands, wincing a little. He'd been there long enough, and he didn't think anyone else would look for him for a bit. They had gone over the plans, and two of the group had gone off to do things with the engines, while the other seemed...a little cagey, in a sense, and probably wouldn't want anything other than business. They left him to his own devices, whatever those happened to be. He tucked the blue-stone pendent back under his shirt, and exited the room, deciding to make his way back to his quarters.

In the end, though, he ended up heading into the cargo area. It was small compared to other scavenger ships, yet big enough for all of the needs that the crew had. It held supplies and all the shipments, even if a little cramped. It was a good room to hide in, to waste time. For the moment, he had nothing else that needed his attention, so he'd shift through boxes and see what came up.

Character: Raker

After running a little while longer, he slumped down onto a seat. He hadn't been followed, thank god. But... what now. He couldn't go back to the hanger so that plan was ruined. Maybe he should steal a weapon or something, fight his way to the hanger. No that was an awful idea, excellent way to die though. Alright scrap thinking of a plan, time to think about right now. Right now... well right now he was hungry. Guess that was the problem he was gonna tackle right now.

He walked up to a stall, the food on display looked... passable as food.

"Hey. How much." The vendor didn't seem to pay him much attention. "Excuse me!"

Still nothing. The vendor was really distracted by something or other, maybe Raker could just...

He shoved the first thing he grabbed into his pocket and walked off. Once again, he had no clue what he'd grabbed but it... seemed to be food. Good enough for him.

Character: CAGA

Enough resting, time to get up. Maybe something was finally going on. Probably not, but it wouldn't hurt to check. The robot stood up, deciding to wander around the ship. Perhaps it would run into trouble, make things interesting or something.

Character: Daniel Raghallach
Interacting With: Markus Gray

Daniel peered at Markus as he entered the hold, oddly enough he didn't seem to notice Daniel at all, which was quite surprising considering the fact that the ship's cargo space was fairly cramped. Considering the fact that Markus was interrupting a fairly dull article on the best ways to repair pumping systems, Daniel was somewhat glad he had a break from engineering-based purgatory. "Have we made it yet or do you need any help with something?" Daniel sounded quite relaxed as he asked. "Also, I hope you don't mind but I've made myself at home in that room behind me. Didn't have much but a few empty boxes in it that I've moved out here, and that garage door's too jammed to be useful anymore." Daniel idly pointed at the door as he mentioned the room itself.

This cargo hold was definitely small for a regular scavenger ship, and Daniel couldn't figure out whether or not the Greenfly was some form of old military landing craft refitted to help transport scrap or a poorly designed mining ship. Only the wealthiest people alive get ships made from scrap nowadays. Judging by the shambles this ship's in, must've been a mothballed one from a graveyard. Too rickety and messy to be retrofitted, and most found ships usually don't have anything left in them. Might ask Mark here about that soon, try and find out this ship's history a little more.

Event 1
ꁅꂦꂦꀸ ꒒ꀎꉓꀘ ꓄ꋪꍏᐯꍟ꒒ꍟꋪ

OF LL WO HT BE AE OC SN

Vanillacrazycake Vanillacrazycake supertoastgirl supertoastgirl The Pattern The Pattern Congenial Organism Congenial Organism Error 420 Error 420 Bang Bang Bang Bang Squared Squared DemonicLillies DemonicLillies Dreamtique Dreamtique

How events work: There will be a beginning post like below. Then, for a bit, there'll just be some straight up interaction. However, when the GM, me, posts another post including graphics like below, that means an 'occurrence' is happening- something that involves all characters in that event and demands, most likely, their immediate attention. All choices, however, are left up to the characters. Everything has consequences.

mmV24GWbM0KlA_WkSIOIIDxk3A_BD3jnehwYK9AI5tjUvUXzgLy6fYKlbN-GbEivftis_DiOjSFKYW9j1wIHTdkJ-xcEVvjk2FxvbnkHyfPPgVrvOAaqptQ5aqrwdjNNNCJQeT_H

Side: One
Those Involved: The Greenfly, The Thetis Sector Lighthouse
Music to Listen To (If You Like):
Here

In this time, in this universe, seeing other ships and people without meaning to was rare. In fact, it was considered bad luck to pass another ship, or see another group when going planet-side. This was mostly because of the implications of such a meeting. When one saw a ship, there was the possibility of it being pirates, and when that happened, the chances of a ship that wasn't another pirate ship, a market vessel, or a lighthouse making it by without being looted and the passengers being slaughtered was slim. Planet-side, seeing a group could also mean pirates, but it was more likely that another group had gotten there first and taken whatever you were attempting to gather. Seeing people outside of business had become a superstitious occurrence, and when involved in business, there was rarely any pleasure included. Socially, most people were at a stand-still, because business was business, and people were people, meaning that in this day and age, they had no qualms about lying and cheating to get their way.

So, on one hand, the lighthouse was business. On the other, it was easy business, the type of business that wouldn't require guns or knives. Or, it should've been, but there was the sight of another scavenger ship, badly damaged, already docked on one side of the station. The Greenfly, however, did continue it's mission, docking on the other side, a loud hiss emitting from the area, audible to anyone inside, as the pressure stabilized and the artificial gravity adjusted. Then, once everything settled, the doors opened, allowing the crew of the Greenfly to finally board the station and, with luck, drop off the cargo and leave.

kexmtsDyaexZQQh4QPmrroV-oAxTHdE7xQFdgdiNAhb7SZaIOGj5KzZp_fOJnHJ9y1lOlOh6I5IdNh1VwIdzsUTmOaWQ7R7zMOu6XucaBwDw9A0So2XGwd1bGx7Rz_Zr0LZPI2ZD

Side: Two
Those Involved: The Saint Antonia, Ilston Marketplace
Music to Listen To (If You Like):
Here

Ilston Marketplace was one of the largest merchant ships there was. It was kept in good condition, and it's halls held many vendors of all sorts, as well as people looking for retrieval jobs or for repair work. Generally, the state of the market, as well as its status, would keep it from getting raided. The crew of the Saint Antonia, however, didn't seem to be playing by this expectation. Drunk off of their good luck in the past span of time, the ship did in fact dock within the holding bay of the market, and the raid began. If one could pull off the raid of a market, they were practically set for life. The risk, however, was getting past the security measures, as well as the people. Pirate ships, being smaller, only had a set amount of crew. Market ships were gigantic, and held many more people.

The last trick was finding the crew. After all, how could you take over a ship without getting to it's crew first?

Last edited:

Eating something had filled Raker with a new sense of purpose, he was going to steal a ship and blow this joint. In fact, he was going to do it right now!

He strode towards the hanger, confidence in every step. It didn't take long for him to reach the entrance of the holding bay.

Hang on a moment... that big ominous ship wasn't there before. Confidence is a funny thing, here one minute gone the next. Raker turned around rather quickly, walking away from the bay. That ship gave him a strange feeling in his gut, a feeling that didn't sit right. He decided the best course of action would be to find Polaroid. If he could find them that is.

Hearing the successful docking of the Greenfly, Green almost giddily ran towards the cargo bay, pulling out the Lancer in one hand and grabbing Moji's with the other, pulling her forward. "This is my favorite part!" he explained to her between loud bounds. The giant barely avoided knocking his head against the doorway as he entered, looking upon the open doorway with disappointment. He took a few steps past Daniel and Markus, waving around the Lancer, slowly creeping into the Lighthouse.

He wandered further into the hold of the lighthouse, observing its cold and cryptic controls, its ancient interfaces. He took in his surroundings, first tactically as a bodyguard, but then slowly, curiously, now in a cavern of alien and unknown wonders. His fingers ran over buttons, lights seeming to dance as if in response to his presence. The powerful and strange powers that run this place seem to captivate him, but he looks upon them with a sense of oneness and understanding with the machine. The banal sight of a dingy old Lighthouse seemed something far greater through his eyes. He pointed to a sign reading 'lavoratories' with his gun, asking behind him "What do you think it means, Markus? Some sort of treasure room?" He smiles.

The inside of a lighthouse... Daniel would've seen this drop off as a humbling experience, a chance to see the inner workings of a beacon that kept order and civilisation alive. And since there wasn't any way for Daniel to find out there was another ship docked with the station, there was nothing to dissuade him from seeing the significance of the station. That was until when Green was the first to walk aboard the lighthouse, he inadvertently pointed out something very important to Daniel; the lighthouse keepers hadn't shown up to collect their delivery.

"Why aren't the keepers here to greet us? Surely they'd jump at the chance to meet new faces, let alone take the donation off our hands. I don't imagine many people pop over here to donate and make polite conversation." Daniel's tone was a mixture of disappointment and surprise, as he saw no one there to welcome them. "Hello? Is anyone on board? We're here to drop off supplies!" Daniel shouted in a hope to garner the attention of anyone who might be on the station. He even went as far as to go up to the lavatories door to knock on it loudly before repeating what he said before.

Character: Christian Jackson
Interacting with: N/A

Tch, typical Kondarians. No matter what you have, they can find every single crack and issue. Take that rusty computer for example. Still works, only missing a few keys, power cells a bit drained but otherwise working perfectly. That crook took ten seconds and found that the interior data cores were fried and the plugs were not properly aligned. Price went from 600 down to 450. Christian didn't really care though. He'd been doing business here for twenty years, he was used to being screwed over on salvage. While he'd really been hoping for the full 600, what he got was enough to have a buddy look at his shuttle for repairs, get his augments worked on, and grab some grub before he went back out. Since he'd already eaten before hand, Christian called his mechanic buddy down to the hangar to get his ship's engine working again. The shuttle was practically on it's last few years, and yet he couldn't bring himself to part with the old girl. My age must be showing, can't even part with a ship that's dying, Christian thought to himself. Whatever the case, he entered the hangar and noticed the very large and very suspicious ship.

Oh, fuck.

Reaching onto his back, he adjusted his gun so it'd be much easier to grab for when whatever the fuck was in that honker came out. He also doubled back from where he'd come from, sending a quick message to the mechanic to not come down after all. Let's see, if I go take the long way around back here, that way if something does happen I'll be out of the way and on my way outta this place...

Character: Zacharias d'Arabesque (pseudonym: Zander Besk)
Interacting with: N/A

Character Introduction:

Born on the renowned, prestigious generation ship Arabesque; member of the powerful, tradition-focused, pureblood human d'Arabesque family; and direct heir to the captainship along with his twin sister, Delilah; Zacharias' entire childhood served to groom him in preparation for becoming the next Captain d'Arabesque, a title that carries heavy weight in elite, elusive, intergalactic circles. He was educated to the highest degree in subjects such as astrophysics, intergalactic relations, genealogy, ancient terrestrial history, ancient terrestrial art and literature, psychology, philosophy, and principles of leadership. He was trained extensively to possess manners and elocution fitting for one of his standing and lineage. He was taught advanced self-defense to protect himself against kidnappers or assassins (a frequent issue for the d'Arabesques). He was raised to hold dear his family's values of the importance and superiority of pure, unmodified human genetics; the need to remain aloof from those who have been "soiled"; and the honor of the Captainship.

The incredible hunger of Zacharias, the model d'Arabesque son, to become the next Captain d'Arabesque was matched only by his twin sister's. When their parents selected Zacharias to be the heir to the helm instead of Delilah, her outrage was such that she organized an unprecedented coalition of pirates to stage a military coup that would instate her in power. Her attempt failed when, upon taking control of the Arabesque with her assistance, the pirates betrayed her, systematically slaughtering her family members (the d'Arabesques are known for their brutal crackdowns on piracy) and stripping the luxurious vessel of every valuable item. After being severely injured by pirate wielding a sharpened satellite strut, Zacharias barely escaped with his life in an emergency pod before seeing the Arabesque depressurize and slowly combust behind him.

Now, gravely wounded and "rescued" by what he darkly suspects to be a pirate ship, Zacharias has only two all-consuming goals. The first is to, by any means possible, worm his way into becoming captain of his own ship and restore his family's honor by returning it to the grandeur of the dead Arabesque. The second to make every pirate pay for the loss of his future and family.

Yashi
Illston Market

Among the cacophony of the market ship, a writing mass of flesh, there was Yashi, most beautiful woman in the galaxy, according to the street musician showering her in praise. The orc blushed coyly, rubbing his back with a hand, the other twirling his hair, the other stroking a necklace he gifted her, and the fourth grabbing his wallet. The song ended, the disgusted onlookers dispersed, and Yashi leaned in for a kiss on the cheek, before saying goodbye to her unwitting prey.

Later, she was seen selling a necklace for a box of rations.

Yashi was dissatisfied with her current position, separated from the lavish parlors she preferred. She hated ships, but a joyride would be worth it to escape from here. And before her, one came. The Saint Antonia. She instantly assessed it as a pirate ship, and doubted that they were here for a friendly trade. Stealing a stun baton from a vendor too busy arguing with an angered Arrukai, she assessed her options, and came to a conclusion.

I need to steal that ship.

She proceeded towards the hangar to scope out the ship which would surely be her way home.

Last edited:
Character: Polaroid

It wasn't every day that someone attacked their ship.

Actually, there were no days where someone had attacked their ship. The likelyhood of someone decided to perform a raid on a market vessel, especially theirs, was near 0% before this point, and even though they liked the hustle and bustle of the halls on a daily basis, they certainly did not like some pirates boarding and thinking that had permission to just....just....loot the place.

Well...alright, maybe they liked it a little. The excitement around them was contagious, even if it was mingled with a little bit of terror. They slipped through the crowd, weaving their way in and out of packing merchants and running people, going the opposite direction of most. A captain must go down with their ship, after all, and it didn't sit right with them to just let this happen. Exciting, riveting, yes! But letting them get away with it would be absolutely embarrassing, and they would hate to be an embarrassment. So, they would do something about it. Something moving, yet maybe a little impulsive and drastic.

They were going to threaten to detonate the ship. They were the captain, after all. Great power came with great responsibility, as the saying went, and they felt that being responsible for blowing up a ship of pirates would work well enough to make that saying true. Oh, they weren't going to actually detonate the ship, though, not right away. That wouldn't be fair to the many people that were not pirates, like that one hilarious thief they had run into. No, they'd give everyone a bit to find a way off. They needed time to find a suitable device to ignite the engines anyway, and then something to connect wirelessly to said device, all while avoiding being sought out by the pillagers. There was bound to be something useful left behind by some merchant, they figured, and no one could truly blame them if they took it.

Being a captain was tiring, but it had it's perks. With luck, they wouldn't even need to use their plan, and the pirates would just leave, but they felt that it was best to make the threat hold some weight.

Interacting With: The Crew of the Greenfly

It was surprisingly quiet around the lighthouse. Markus had expected someone to pop up by now to greet them, so they could get the delivery over and done with. Apparently not. Instead, he was greeted with quiet, other than the talking of his crew. There was another ship docked, which meant someone else was here, other than them. There was only one delivery scheduled, so who had decided to dock at a lighthouse of all places? He placed on hand on his gun warily, taking a look around the hall they were in, which would lead to the control deck, through doors that were slightly farther down. No one seemed to be around.

"Green, there's no treasure here." He started off absentmindedly, eyes scanning the doorways around them "And if there was, we're not taking it. On the topic of other matters, let's keep our voices down a bit, maybe. Anyone else notice there's another ship docked here? From what I've heard, and correct me if I'm wrong, lighthouses don't get ships for their keepers, and if they did, I don't think they'd be as damaged as that rust bucket. It looked worse off than the Greenfly. So, that begs the questions, who docked here before us, and why?"

He felt it was best to be cautious. Sure, he'd love to believe that there was nothing wrong, but the mystery ship paired with the evident lack of a keeper was suspicious. If he was proven wrong, he'd be pleased, but for the moment, he wanted to make sure they all didn't end up getting killed.

Name: Alexander
Interacting with: The crew of the Greenfly

Alexander ran his eyes over the screens one more time, observing the movements of the Greenfly. Pressing a few buttons, he switched view over to the Other ship, studying it for a little bit. "Later..." He muttered to himself, then twitched slightly.
He was a high quality model synthetic, but was a little old, and didn't come without a few imperfections. He was still able to perform his job, and that was all that was necessary. If he was lucky, however, he might be able to get ahold of some equipment for some adjustments. If he was lucky.
Alex turned away from the control booth and manually opened the sliding doors, taking note to fix then sometime, as they had once been automatic. Making his way down a short corridor, he paused upon seeing another person. He made his way forward, then stopped about 20 feet from them. "No need for weapons in this place" he stated warily, hand on his own hip "This is not one of Those places, if you know what I mean" Normally, he would've been welcoming, but this was not quite the time for such formalities.

Interacting With: The Crew of the Greenfly, Alexander

The appearance of the keeper caused Markus to relax a bit, but he was still on edge. After all, other ships weren't exactly supposed to be around places like this. It wasn't a market, it was a lighthouse. However, he moved his hand away from his gun, instead crossing his arms and watching the android carefully. They could just deliver the supplies and leave, if everything went smoothly, but the fact someone else could be on board still bothered him greatly. Was it truly his problem, though?

"You'll have to excuse my caution." He started off, shrugging his shoulders a little "It ain't every day you go to a lighthouse in general, but I wasn't really expecting another ship to be here. I'd be grateful to know what that's about." He paused a brief moment, before adding "We're from the Greenfly, delivering your supplies for the next few months. Just need to know where to unload everything."

Interacting With: Polaroid

"Oh thank god I found you!" Raker panted, finally finding Polaroid. "There's this... this big scary ship in the docking bay. It gave me a weird feeling and I think you should look into it. Like, right now maybe?"

He hoped they didn't recognise him, he'd changed appearances but he was awful at masking his voice. Maybe they wouldn't care. Hopefully they wouldn't care.

"I... I don't have a weapon so I don't know how much help i can be." He sighed. Wasn't much good at fighting anyway.

So they'd finally landed. CAGA hated it. It wanted to go back into space, it was nice and quiet out there. No crowds, no noise. Peaceful. Either way, there's no way it was leaving the ship. Starting a fight straight away wasn't part of the plan and CAGA knew that if it left this ship, there would be no stopping it.

If it was going to be waiting in the ship, might as well make sure its weapons are all in order. The turret managed to move, barely, but CAGA didn't dare attempt to fire it, high chance it might just blow up. It took a look at its knife. It was falling apart, but that didn't matter. A knife is a knife, if it cuts, it works. Up next, the pistol. It took a few shots at the wall, works perfectly. Finally, the extendable blade. It considered leaving it alone, the extending mechanism had managed to jam a while ago so it was... hard to use. It carefully released the rusted blade, it was still sharp but CAGA didn't trust the durability. Time to try and get it back in. Just had to... push it a little... a little more. There, all fine. It decided to just hope it never had to use that blade again.

The weapons check too less time than it expected so it decided to patrol the ship till the crew returned. If they returned.

Character: Alexander
Interacting with: The crew of the Greenfly

Upon hearing the word 'Greenfly', Alexander seemed to ease up almost instantly. "Well, atleast we have a little bit of familiarity. Such a thing is hard to find in the depths of space" He gave a happy smile as he adjusted his jacket "Please, do come this way, our storage room just be just around the corner" Alex indicated with his head as he walked "And as for the Other Ship....well....they pulled in here right before you. I, well, I havn't quite talked to them yet" He glanced back "Never seen them around before, to be honest. Generally speaking, though, nobody comes around to the lighthouse looking for trouble. Such dealings are usually relegated towards Other places of this great vast void"

Character: Zacharias d'Arabesque (Zander Besk)
Interacting with: CAGA

He came to awakeness as though through a long, dark tunnel, with consciousness perceived as a slowly growing, infrequently glimpsed speck of light hovering somewhere far ahead. Upon capture it twisted and morphed to reveal itself to be a winking, dying LED, hanging from the ceiling above him.

Zach shifted, becoming aware of the rough mat underneath his fingertips and the splintery, wooden pain deep in his left shoulder, blearily making his way into a sitting position. He was impeded by a thickly wrapped bandage, roughly done yet effective, protecting his shoulder wound and wrapping around his chest for stability.

He blinked as he attempted to remember where he was, the memories resurfacing like dead fish from the bottom of a disturbed pond. He vaguely recalled frantically piloting his tiny vessel towards the ship that had become his only chance of survival, his mind and body threatening to fail him, to doom him to travel eternally through the cosmos as a rotting corpse in a wayward pod. The muttered phrases making their way through the fog that enveloped him: "Check the pockets" and "worthless" and "bring him in."

He looked around. The room was empty but for haphazard, dust-covered piles of old gear and scrap, his pens and notebook scattered on the ground where they were likely thrown in frustration. They would have little value on the market; such items were archaic, useless for most of the common population, for whom the act of script was as antiquated as navigation by compass. Zach could see his clothes draped absentmindedly over the edge of a dramatically twisted rotor.

Zach felt the absence of the one thing that was missing like a hole in his chest: his radio, his most prized possession, always turned to one specific frequency. The absence gave him motivation, artificial energy with which to move. With some difficulty, he rose and dressed himself, buttoning up his shirt and pulling on his overcoat, re-placing his belongings in his pockets, before cautiously yet hurriedly exiting the room in search of his radio, or at least someone from which to demand it.

In the hall, he could hear distant screams and shouts and yells, making his immediate vicinity all the more ghostlike for its emptiness. He leaned on the wall with his good arm for support. Upon turning a corner, he was nearly startled into shouting by the sudden sound and movement of a machine turning to inspect him him with its red optic sensors. Yet upon recovering from his initial shock, Zach felt slightly in his own element for the first time since his sister had made everything go to hell. His family had had armies of robotic attendants. Surely this would be no different.

"Bot. Search ship inventory for a modified Nexus 360 radio," he commanded, enunciating carefully. He hoped the machine's voice recognition software was still working; from the rather battered, run-down look of the thing, he wouldn't be surprised if it wasn't.

Interacting With: Zacharias d'Arabesque (Zander Besk)

The robot laughed. At least, the noise it made was something resembling a laugh. It was cold and metallic, sharp even. It looked him up and down, shoulder turret following its head movements.

"My crew members may have shown you some kindness in sparing your life, I'm afraid I might not be so kind." Its voice was as sharp as its laugh. It had already began running all the outcomes it could think of this situation, all of them turning out in its favour. "Tell you what, you have 5 minutes to convince me not to kill you. Starting... now."

It had already made its mind up of what it was going to do with him of course, but it couldn't just let a situation like this go to waste. Seeing them squirm was always the best part, god it hoped this one would squirm. Oh! Maybe this one would cry, that was always fun. He appeared to be unarmed, so resistance wasn't likely but not completely ruled out. The way he had addressed it... knew his around a robot maid apparently. Must be wealthy. CAGA never really got the point in money, but it sure would be nice if he had some.

Zach's fingers rested lightly on the pens in his pocket as he attempted to exude calmness and confidence despite the painful reality of his bone-dry throat. He should have known that any bot he'd come across in this backwards layer of the universe would be malfunctioning. His pride urged him to refuse this machine's silly games; he was hardly defenseless, and by rights he should teach something like that the consequences of behaving that way towards someone like him. Yet his prudence, the side that had kept him alive thus far, reminded him of the gnarly injury in his shoulder and advised him not to reveal his cards so rashly. What could this robot want?

"Your programming is defective," he remarked, then winced inwardly at his rather tactless beginning. He began backing away from the machine as slowly as humanly possible, his fingers curled around the pens in his pocket. "The coded-in limitations on your AI's learning algorithms have decayed or been sabotaged. As a result, you have become aware of the universe and yourself while lacking the chaos of the human mind, allowing you to comprehend the essential monotony and boredom of existence. It is a common problem for defective bots; they are always on the hunt for any source of amusement, at whatever cost, to momentarily relieve the unbearable tedium."

Zach paused and licked his lips uneasily. "I am a break in the monotony of the universe. And I can provide that source of amusement."

A cool droplet of sweat eased down the back of his neck. He stared into the machine's blood-red optic sensors, waiting for its response.

Last edited:
Character: Daniel Raghallach
Interacting with: Alexander and Greenfly crew

Daniel immediately quietened down as the keeper approached, there he is. Is he really human? We don't make decent repairmen when we're driven to insanity by loneliness... And he took his sweet time to turn up.... Eh, doesn't matter, he needs goods and we need to explore a mine. Whilst Markus dealt with the pleasantries, Daniel rushed back to the Greenfly in order to grab two of the donation bags he left around the corner. Can't be too careful, we could've run into a shootout... should've left them a little closer to the airlock though. Daniel managed to haul the two heavy bags filled with preserved food onto the station in time to catch the Keeper say where the storage area was. Daniel didn't wait to hear the keeper's rambling about the other ship as he just walked past the keeper to drop off the first two bags in the storage area. We're all armed so whoever's on that wreck is either in for a firefight or a pleasant chat. And no one's stupid enough to start a firefight over technology where the shots'll ruin the tech.

"You know, you really shouldn't make it so obvious that you own robot maids. A lot of robots don't exactly take kindly to people who own them. Luckily for you, I don't take kindly to anyone. Now, as much as I want to spare your life after that moving speech, I simply can't. You see, I really like killing things, and it's been far too long since I've killed anything. I'm going to have some fun with you, I can tell you that much. I am very knowledgeable about human anatomy and methods of torture from all across the universe. So, feel free to run if you want. It won't work." CAGA wondered if it had gone too far this time. It had said some nasty stuff, but it also wasn't exactly lying.

CAGA was absolutely reveling in his squirming, it really did love when they squirmed. It was a little hurt by the claim that it was defective. Sure, it wasn't technically wrong, but it still hurt to hear. The claim about Zander breaking the monotony of the universe was interesting. CAGA assumed he meant it in a way that meant he would entertain the bot in some fun way. CAGA, however, found this amusing as in some way, he had broken the monotony of the universe. Just not in the way he had thought he would.

Zach staggered back several steps and yanked the two pens from his coat pocket, clicking them and causing them to extend such that he found himself holding a lithe blade in his right hand and a taser in his left. The movement caused a shout of pain to erupt from his left shoulder. The weapons, on the other hand, felt familiar, reassuring, in his grip, a feeling cultivated from countless hours of training.

He examined the robot in front of him for weaknesses, his traitorous breath coming more heavily. Its method of locomotion, so heavily protected that he could not even discern its operation, was ruled out as a possible target. There were no vulnerable wires he could readily see, nor exposed machinery. He did notice that the robot's weaponry joints were badly rusted and likely somewhat stuck, rendering its attacks more slow than they otherwise would have been. His most promising strategy, then, would be to block its advances with his right hand and attempt to short-circuit it with his left.

And if that failed, then he would go straight for the eyes.

Adrenaline rushed through his veins, scattered his thoughts. He wished he had more confidence in his plan than he felt.

"Oh! Oh, this makes things interesting! The human is armed, how fun!" CAGA was thrilled, a fight! It was time for a fight! It grabbed its laser pistol, pointing it at Zander. "Alright, I bet you're thinking this'll be easy huh? That it'd be easy to take down a rusty old bot like me? Well did you expect this? Did you expect a functional gun? Because I sure hope you didn't!"

CAGA wasn't sure how long it should let this go on. Maybe it should just kill him now, get it over with. But then again, when was it going to get a chance like this again. It aimed at his leg, deciding if it came to it, it would incapacitate rather than kill. And boy, it sure hoped it would come to it.

The sight of the pistol set alarm bells off in his head and Zach darted back around the corner he had come around when he had first encountered the robot, beginning to sprint down the hall, the adrenaline painting over the pain in his shoulder like a clumsy, overzealous kindergartner in art class. His legs pumped with the wildness of a palm tree in a hurricane.

He wheeled around the second corner where the hall turned once more and stopped, his pens held at the ready, struggling desperately to get his breathing under control, to become as still and silent as a mouse, as a speck of dust, as space... as death.

Death; it had never been so real for him before, so palpable and heavy on the tongue. Not even when he was attacked by the pirate aboard the Arabesque; then, he didn't have time to think. But now death blinded him like the impossibly bright headlights on those automobiles he had learned about in ancient history: used, as he was taught, to paralyze their prey before the final impact.

Every muscle in his body tensed, waiting for any flicker of movement that would give him the signal for ambush.

This was shaping up to be the most fun CAGA had had in a while, not only did they find someone to kill, they also get to chase them! This wouldn't take long, just need a clear shot, even for a moment, and then wham, shoot em in the leg. Easy as pie. Just to... find him.

It started to walk in the direction he had fled in. It hadn't thought to get a lock on his heat signature so it didn't have that on it's side, ship was too hot to make anything out. It'd just have to do this the old fashioned way, shouldn't take too long, ship wasn't that big and it was rather fast. Let the hunt begin.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back