Story Oh, to be in Broadripple

Lunar

now i know how joan of arc felt

Oh, to be in Broadripple.

Not just a place but a time, the concept of it all. A place of cool fall breeze and orange leaves. Everything looks to have been drowned in sepia, a familiar feeling. A model plane influenced by that smooth breeze flies around a room, suspended by a wire. Oh, to be in Broadripple, to return to that place in time, just for a moment. To watch that airplane fly once more, the sunlight reflecting off the shiny silver shell and into unkindled eyes; Not that the spark wasn’t there, just that they hadn’t been burned.
I find it hard to watch movies now, not alone in the sanctity of my room but at a theater. I find it hard to go to the movies. My eyes are an unreliable source to me now, past the time of kindling and now ashen; nothing has felt the same. The sepia is gone, the breeze has blown out, and the plane has crashed. Not necessarily a bad thing. It is only reality, after all; Just attuned to it all now.
“Do you blame yourself?” Says Bailey, a sentiment I’ve long thought of. How should I feel blamed? I wasn’t the pilot. If a plane falls, is it up to the passengers to land it? Maybe it is selfish of the pilot. That’s a thought I’ve crossed as well; What of the passengers then? Is the pilot to blame? Or is it the airplane? A pilot was tasked to fly it, a broken and flawed machine predestined for destruction. I don’t think the blame should be a question after, not for that.
I watched two men die there, that place far away from Broadripple. One slow and evident if you cared enough to look, and one quickly and silently.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back