Official RpNation Suggestions for Sub-Genres, Dice Systems & Tags

Or would a tag like "Game Elements" be something more of what you're thinking?

Game Elements: an RP with in world game elements such as leveling and classes.

We're actually having a pretty tough time figuring out what you want. A lot of RPs, and more specifically character sheets, are derived from DnD, which has an OOC level progression, game mechanics, etc.

Why not just call it Isekai? A lot of people would understand that more then "game-like"
There is already an isekai tag - while I understand your point, I think several people will be upset when they search “Isekai” and find a post apocalypse fantasy roleplay that has game-like elements, to use one of my most frequently used 1x1 plots as an example. I don’t blame you if you don’t want to add it since it will likely be a niche tag, but I think it will be quite convenient for those familiar with it from webnovels or those who become familiar with it through RPN. Either way, thanks for hearing my suggestion.

Or would a tag like "Game Elements" be something more of what you're thinking?

Game Elements: an RP with in world game elements such as leveling and classes.

We're actually having a pretty tough time figuring out what you want. A lot of RPs, and more specifically character sheets, are derived from DnD, which has an OOC level progression, game mechanics, etc.
Game elements would likely be a better name for it, yes. I was just using the term I stole from NovelUpdates

Suggestion Type: Sub-Genre/Tag (?)
Name: Dystopia
Comments: even though Dystopia isn't very popular, it's still seen in some fiction like the hunger games

Name: Any genre
Comments: I feel like there should be an option for people who can do 'any genre'

Name: Dystopia
Comments: even though Dystopia isn't very popular, it's still seen in some fiction like the hunger games

Name: Any genre
Comments: I feel like there should be an option for people who can do 'any genre'
Dystopian is a sub-genre so we try to avoid creating duplicate tags when a user can select a sub-genre. As far as any-genre it sort of defeats the purpose of the filter which is meant to help users find the specifics of what they are searching for. If they are fine with any genre they can simply browse the Looking for Player forum without using the filter.

I don't remember if I ever got an answer for this
That would be 'Game Fandom' tag.

Dystopian is a sub-genre so we try to avoid creating duplicate tags when a user can select a sub-genre. As far as any-genre it sort of defeats the purpose of the filter which is meant to help users find the specifics of what they are searching for. If they are fine with any genre they can simply browse the Looking for Player forum without using the filter.

That would be 'Game Fandom' tag.

Yeah, I know. But for instance, anime has a tag and a sub genre.

Yeah, I know. But for instance, anime has a tag and a sub genre.
This was a decision made by Wizard himself and it has been pointed out to him. The filter has yet to be released so this could change.

Please fill out the form for your suggestion. While we will take your suggestions into consideration we cannot guarantee they will accepted. You can find the current list of tags here.

Current Sub-Genres should not be suggested as tags. Sub-Genres will be directly tied to the filter system as a searchable option.

Suggestion Type: (Sub-Genre/Tag/Dice Systems)
Name of Sub-Genre/Tag/Dice Systems:
Comments: (Optional)

Action
Adventure
AU
Cyberpunk
Dystopian
Foreign
Historical
Horror
KRP
LGTBQ+
Magical
Meta
Multiverse
Mystery
Platonic
Realistic
Romance
School
Slice of Life
Super Powers
Supernatural
Zombies

Apocalypse World
d20
D&D 3.5
D&D 4e
D&D 5e
Dragon Age
Exalted 2.5
Exalted 3e
Fantasy Age
FATE
Genesys
Godbound
GURPS
Masterminds 3e
Mutants
Palladium
Pathfinder 1
Pathfinder 2
Savage Worlds
Starfinder
Warhammer
WoD - Vampire: The Masquerade
WoD - Werewolf: The Apocalypse
WoD - Mage: The Ascension
WoD - Changeling: The Dreaming
WoD - Hunter: The Reckoning
CoD - Vampire: The Requiem
CoD - Werewolf: The Forsaken
CoD - Mage: The Awakening
CoD - Hunter: The Vigil
CoD - Changeling: The Lost

Academy
Accepting
Aliens
Androids
Angst
Animals
Anime Fandom
Anthro
Apocalypse
Biopunk
Book Fandom
Campy
Chilling
Closed
College
Comedy
Conspiracy
Crime
Crossover
Crossover Fandom
Cyberpunk
Cyborgs
DC Universe
Deities
Demons
Detective
Disney
Dragons
Drama
Elves
Exploration
F/F
Family
Fluff
Game Fandom
Gang
Ghosts
Gothic
Gritty
Heroes
High Fantasy
High School
Humans
IC
Idol
Isekai
KPOP
M/F
M/M
Mafia
Martial Arts
Marvel Universe
Mecha
Medieval
Melodrama
Mermaids
Military
Monsters
Movie Fandom
Mythological
Nanopunk
Non-Human
Occult
Open
Paranormal
Pirates
Powers
Preternatural
Robots
Sandbox
Sci-fi
Science Fantasy
Space
Space Opera
Spy-fi
Steampunk
Survival
Suspense
Thriller
Time Travel
Tragedy
Tragicomedy
TV Fandom
University
Urban Fantasy
Vampire
Villains
Violent
Warlocks
Werewolf
WIP
Witches
Wizards
Wuxia
Video games
Video game fandom

We've just updated the tag Game Fandom to Video Game Fandom.

Suggestion Type: Sub-Genre/Tag
Name of Sub-Genre/Tag/Dice Systems: Magical Girl
Comments: None
Oops, this tag does already exist, just somehow isn't on the list. It's 'magical girls' and 'magical boys' tag. I'll update that when I have a chance.

Why is the fandom label pink?
This is not the place for this question. This is for suggestions to the filter system and tags. We are simply trying to add in more colors to help differentiate them and look better.

This is not the place for this question. This is for suggestions to the filter system and tags. We are simply trying to add in more colors to help differentiate them and look better.
Oh ok

Suggestion Type: Sub-Genre
Name of Sub-Genre/Tag/Dice Systems: Reverse Isekai
Comments: For Non-otaku fans and unfamiliar anime fans, I'll explain how it works.

If you aren't familiar with Isekai, it's where the character is transported, summoned or reincarnated in the another world. This only happens that the character goes through a portal, is inadvertently summoned or dies from a vehicular accident. When I am trying to prefer to this tag, this is the exact opposite. He/she is send into our current world, having no knowledge about the Earth and the current technology itself. If you take the instance from from The Devil Is a Part Timer or Re:Creators, you will understand how it work in the first episode. There are other manga comics that familiar with the ones that associate with Reverse Isekai, so the more you know!

By the way, this is technically a occasion to make this a request because I'm a middle of developing the roleplay.

Edited - 20/11/19

Last edited:
Suggestion Type: Tag
Name of Sub-Genre/Tag/Dice Systems: Miss Peregrine's Home For Peculiar Children/MPHFPC
Comments: It's a fandom that I haven't seen a tag for but have met people who are familiar with it....

Type: sub-genre/tag
name: Anything Goes
comments: I quite like doing sandbox rp. If you're unfamiliar with it(as some people use different terms to describe it), it's basically improve. Nearly everything is made up as you go. As you can imagine, it's kinda hard to put a select few tags on these right away. A tag like this would be really nice : )

Name: Politics/Politcal
Comments: For RPs that are focused on political themes. Was looking and realized there wasn’t a tag like this.

Name: Government
Comments: Maybe a companion to the politics tag. If, for instance, someone wanted to create a White House or Parliament RP.

Sub-genre suggestion: Noir.

For roleplays that are dark and gritty, with elements of organized crime, corrupt/ incompetent government and law enforcement, and/ or characters being thrust into dangerous situations beyond their control, and that explore themes of cynicism, criminal psychology, and moral ambiguity. Expect lots of rainy cityscapes, waterfront warehouses, and seedy bars filled with questionable clientele. Cigarettes, trench coats, and revolvers are optional, but recommended. :xFsmile:

Thanks.

Name of Sub-Genre/Tag/Dice Systems: Reverse Isekai

Most likely this will be a new addition to the tags since Isekai is the genre of choice for most popular stuff these days and it's swapping to 'reverse' as well.

Name of Sub-Genre/Tag/Dice Systems: Miss Peregrine's Home For Peculiar Children/MPHFPC
Comments: It's a fandom that I haven't seen a tag for but have met people who are familiar with it....
I did a search of content to see the demand/interest for this fandom and it is considered 'very low'. There are only 200 (generously rounded up) threads going all the way back to 2015 compared to the larger fandoms (which are in the thousands). For this you could use the 'book fandom' or 'movie fandom' tag.

Type: sub-genre/tag
name: Anything Goes
comments: I quite like doing sandbox rp. If you're unfamiliar with it(as some people use different terms to describe it), it's basically improve. Nearly everything is made up as you go. As you can imagine, it's kinda hard to put a select few tags on these right away. A tag like this would be really nice : )
There is already a sandbox tag. There is also the issue of interpretation of 'anything goes' that can go awry because it means different things to different people. We've learned one of our sub-genres is suffering from this issue so we're being cautious on things that can be misunderstood. I've seen a few of these types of RPs and some still have restrictions and others don't. It's a good suggestion, but it would need to be define with something other than 'anything goes' to avoid - for example - someone coming in and instantly posting when perhaps there is still an approval process before joining.

Name: Politics/Politcal
Comments: For RPs that are focused on political themes. Was looking and realized there wasn’t a tag like this.

Name: Government
Comments: Maybe a companion to the politics tag. If, for instance, someone wanted to create a White House or Parliament RP.
Good suggestions. These would fit well for Nation Building RPs.

Sub-genre suggestion: Noir.

For roleplays that are dark and gritty, with elements of organized crime, corrupt/ incompetent government and law enforcement, and/ or characters being thrust into dangerous situations beyond their control, and that explore themes of cynicism, criminal psychology, and moral ambiguity. Expect lots of rainy cityscapes, waterfront warehouses, and seedy bars filled with questionable clientele. Cigarettes, trench coats, and revolvers are optional, but recommended. :xFsmile:

Thanks.
This already exists as a tag.

Most likely this will be a new addition to the tags since Isekai is the genre of choice for most popular stuff these days and it's swapping to 'reverse' as well.

I did a search of content to see the demand/interest for this fandom and it is considered 'very low'. There are only 200 (generously rounded up) threads going all the way back to 2015 compared to the larger fandoms (which are in the thousands). For this you could use the 'book fandom' or 'movie fandom' tag.

There is already a sandbox tag. There is also the issue of interpretation of 'anything goes' that can go awry because it means different things to different people. We've learned one of our sub-genres is suffering from this issue so we're being cautious on things that can be misunderstood. I've seen a few of these types of RPs and some still have restrictions and others don't. It's a good suggestion, but it would need to be define with something other than 'anything goes' to avoid - for example - someone coming in and instantly posting when perhaps there is still an approval process before joining.

Good suggestions. These would fit well for Nation Building RPs.

This already exists as a tag.

Oh, I'm sorry! I'm a bit new here and until just now I thought sub genres and tags were the same thing. Eheheh. 😕

Suggestion Type: Add Dice System
Legend of the 5 Rings (L5R)
fairly widely played system for playing in a Samurai Clan setting with elements from Game of Thrones

Suggestion type: tag
Victorian
Rps that pertain to the Victorian era or aesthetic, to further categorize the flavor of historical rps.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back