• If your recruitment thread involves completely going off site with your partner(s) then it belongs in the Off-Site Ad Area.
  • This area of the site is governed by the official Recruitment rules. Whether you are looking for players or looking for a roleplay, we recommend you read them and familiarize your self with them. Read the Recruitment Rules Here.

Fantasy Of Humans and Dragons

[QUOTE="alexis the furry]... i am going by what is see in games... but if that is what it is like then i will consider staying

[/QUOTE]
This RP borrows the names of the Gods from the Elder Scrolls and the names of a few materials used in Skyrim for armor/weapon crafting, but otherwise the entire RP was crafted from the ground up by yours truly to be an RP and adventure all its own and it does not play nearly as much like a game as our friend Seymour up there claimed.

alexis the furry]... [/QUOTE] (Incoming rant/lecture.) Words are meaningless in this role-playing world [URL="https://www.rpnation.com/profile/10998-alexis-the-furry/ said:
@alexis the furry[/URL]. Seeing what the RP has to offer with your own eye is always the best way to judge whether or not it's a good fit for you. These characters wanted ads are just there to put a name in front of you, but a name can be deceptive and a name is never enough to truly understand what is waiting for you inside. It's like a present. You get the wrapping and the bow in the name and the basic description of what might be in store, but the actual present lies within the RP itself and what you do when you join and begin posting.

Trust me, I've been doing this for over fifteen years now.

I know that there will always be role-plays that do and do not appeal to certain kinds of players, and mine is an acquired taste to be sure. It caters to those who fancy themselves a creative mind capable of accepting and overcoming challenges laced before them at every step of the way, and those kinds of role-players are few and far between these days as most role-players wish to simply see a role-play that is of a subject they click with, submit a simple character with minimal effort, and join right away while jumping into posting.

You cannot do that in my RP's.

In my RP's, you have to earn your spot as a player by going above and beyond what the average RP asks of you. Why do I construct my RP's that way? Because I want the people and the role-players around me to learn and grow during the course of their participation, and you can't do that if you always play it safe and never push your skills as a writer and your creative process to new heights. My role-plays are often restrictive in nature because learning to operate within a limited palette of information and allowable character construction allows you to push your creativity in much the same way as pumping iron at the gym allows you to push your body beyond what it is normally capable of. Casual free form RP's cannot do that for you. They might be able to let you enjoy an RP world which you may or may not be used to in general principle, but your talents and skills are almost never being pushed or worked beyond what they normally are capable of and thus growth is incredibly limited.

When you either drop from or complete a casual free form RP which didn't challenge you during character creation or as a writer during the course of the RP itself, there is little to no feeling of reward regardless of its outcome. I know. I have participated in, dropped from, and seen the completion hundreds of casual free form RP's over the years and none of them made me feel like a better role-player. I was always left disappointed in the result and walked away from it saying, "Well that was a waste of time." And they were.

It wasn't until I started creating my own RP's and limiting myself first and others second that I started learning to really push myself as a writer, and once I did that pushing others to achieve the same became a basic principle of my operation as a GM. I never construct my RP's the way I do just to limit your creativity and snuff out one's desire to join and make you feel like I want to force you to do things my way. I do it because the challenges my RP's bring to the table are there to help you as a writer/role-player. I cannot help to make you a better writer/role-player by just being nice and saying "oh yeah, make a character however you want!" Doing that is a disservice to you as a role-player, and I will not allow myself to create an RP that does not help others grow in at least one small way.

Not many people like my restrictive role-plays, but that's because they're used to casual RP's that do not challenge their creativity, their perspective, or their desire to grow. If you want an RP that will challenge you and push you to become a better writer/role-player, then I can guarantee mine is the right one for the job. With a lore intensive world waiting for you, every detail counts. Critical thinking, critical analysis, memorization, and creativity is the name of the game, and you can only exercise one of those in casual free form RP's.

I know I'm lecturing, but it's because I want you and everyone else who reads this to understand that while I can sometimes come off as a bit elitist or snobbish in the way I do things, it's because I know what I'm doing and I know what I'm trying to do for others. Unless you ask me what I'm doing and why, I usually won't tell you that I'm restricting my RP's to challenge your creativity and skills as a writer. I leave it to you to figure that out when and if you decide to participate in my RP's.

So take it from me @alexis the furry, my RP's are an acquired taste that not many actually decide to seek out on their own. If you do not wish to accept the challenges that this RP brings to the table, I will understand completely. While I am doing what I can to convince you and others that my RP isn't as scary as it looks, at the same time I am not trying to force anyone to join. I want people to join, but I also want them to do so on their own knowing that challenges await them ahead.

So the choice is yours. Joining my RP will definitely help you grow as a writer/role-player, but it is not going to be easy. Most people associate simplicity with fun, but that is not always the case. But again, it's up to you to decide that for yourself. I'm just communicating my personal experience with this over the course of my fifteen years as a writer/role-player.

@alexis the furry[/URL], and this one's a reality check: Do not think to make threats to me of leaving and never joining an RP I'm in. It's an incredibly childish and immature gesture, not to mention very rude and a waste of both your time and mine.

I'm an adult, alexis, and I don't take threats.

Goodbye @alexis the furry, I wish you luck in all your future role-play endeavors.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back