• If your recruitment thread involves completely going off site with your partner(s) then it belongs in the Off-Site Ad Area.
  • This area of the site is governed by the official Recruitment rules. Whether you are looking for players or looking for a roleplay, we recommend you read them and familiarize your self with them. Read the Recruitment Rules Here.

Of Heroes and Quests

Draconus297

The Dragon Lord
Do I enjoy poking fun at genres? Maybe.

Does it usually turn out to be fun? Yup.

This time, I'm going after classic tabletop RPGs (and, by extension, MMORPGs). There will also be sub-elements of real-time strategy games, so there's that.

Don't worry, I find morality systems just as irritating as most people, so I won't be including one.

------Plot------

As yet, there is only the trace of a plot. Then again, it may be more interesting to take what little I have and roll with it.

------Play------

I run a tight ship around here, known as the 8-stat system. Everyone distributes 100 points between these 8 stats- simple.

Health (self-explanatory)

Damage (For you knights, brutes, and such)

Endurance (Chip damage!)

Mana (Have fun with it, casters)

Focus (Oh, look, and accuracy stat)

Reflex (DODGE THIS!)

Agility (determines turn order, and how fast you get places)

Stamina (I can use my Limit Break HOW MANY times?)

Races? But of course. "Stat boosted" indicates which stat will get a bonus of up to 6, decided randomly.

Human

An industry staple. Boring, yet practical.

Stat boosted: Reflex

Unique: None

Succubus (Female)/Incubus (male)

Because life's more fun with that one inexplicably sexy teammate.

Stat boosted: Stamina (wink)

Unique: Seducing the enemy (which usually has a 20% chance of succeeding) is a guaranteed success against the opposite gender. Sadly, this comes with a weakness to Light magic.

Sybil

Cursed with awesome, or blessed with suck? You decide.

Stat boosted: Mana

Unique: Starts with the spell "Prophecy", which tells you exactly what your opponent will do next turn. However, raises the random encounter rate by 20% in the party, and gets instantly targeted in Army Battles.

Ur-Golem

What are you doing with a big pile of rocks on your team . . . OH SHI-

Stat boosted: Endurance

Unique: Can move without attracting enemy attention in Army Battles. However, has a 10% chance of "falling apart" and losing a turn in the party.

Gardet (Male)/Valkyrie(Female)

All troops . . . CHARGE!

Stat boosted: Damage

Unique: Raises their side's maximum Load by their Level x10 in Army Battles. However, cannot move without a nearby ally in Army Battles.

Anima

Object spirits make life more fun.

Stat boosted: Health

Unique: Cannot be disarmed. However, do not gain a Last Hit bonus or any extra items in battle.

Yzo

Scary bug swarms are scary.

Stat boosted: Agility

Unique: Have a 10% chance of taking two actions in battle. However, this consumes a random item in their inventory.

There is a job system, thanks for asking.

Hunter

Stat boosted: Focus

Unique Attack/Ability: Domesticate (random chance of turning a Primal enemy into an ally. Does not work on bosses.)

Unique System: Pelts (basically, an added armor category that provides different bonuses depending on the pelt equipped)

Brute(Male)/Amazon(Female)

Stat boosted: Damage

Unique Attack/Ability: Backbreaker (rather inaccurate move- however, it's a 1-hit-kill against anything of equal or lesser level to the user)

Unique System: Rage (increased damage output at lower HP)

Sorcerer(Male)/Sorceress(Female)

Stat boosted: Mana

Unique Attack/Ability: Siphon (low damage output, but restores Mana)

Unique System: Spellbooks (technically not exactly unique to the class, but they get the greatest advantage from it- different books will teach you different spells over time. This class gets to hold up to 3 books at a time as opposed to 1.)

Monk(Male)/Nun (Female)

Stat boosted: Endurance

Unique Attack/Ability: Pray (absolutely random effect. Could help, could screw you over.); Conversion (The Sentient equivalent of Domesticate. You can hold 1 at a time.)

Thief

Stat boosted: Reflex

Unique Attack/Ability: Pickpocket (take one item from the enemy. You might even disarm them!)

Unique System: Black Market (This allows you to auction off items, or participate in auctions to buy better items)

Prisoner

Stat boosted: Health

Unique System: Gossip (gain knowledge of the enemy's stats); Revolt (Can instantly counterattack if Health is below 50%)

Farmer

Stat boosted: Stamina

Unique Attack/Ability: Shared Food (Food-based restorative items get used by the whole party)

Unique System: Cooking (Food-based restorative items can be combined and upgraded)

Messenger

Stat boosted: Agility

Unique Attack/Ability: Over Here (Calls enemy attention to the Messenger for a turn)

Unique System: Carrying (Can escape with a downed party member)

Weapons: (one at a time per character- although you can learn Dual Wielding to pick up any second weapon)

Sword

Knife

Bow

Staff

Spear

Shield

Claw (melee hacking weapon)

Cestus (punching weapons)

Chain (includes all long, flexible weapons- used both in a whip purpose and to entangle)

Club

Scythe

Axe

Now, how will this work?

There are three things to consider:

Exploration, Party Battles, and Army Battles

Exploration consists of random dungeon crawling, quest-taking, and the like. You guys will probably argue over found items a lot.

Party Battles are basically standard turn-based RPG battles- highest Agility goes first, et cetera. The person who attacks last gets a Last Hit bonus, consisting of extra XP and occasionally a good item. This will also probably be a point of argument.

Army Battles are closer to something like Fire Emblem or Civilization in terms of combat- recruited ally units battle the forces of the Deep King (no, I'm not explaining yet), and you are the hero units. Each time two characters take up the same space (or, in the case of archers, are within sight range), they battle in the same turn-based style of Party Battles, except it's one-on-one. Higher Agility allows you to move more spaces per turn. Your allied units can level up, but only during battles. You decide who in your personal forces gets promotions, and thus helps you micromanage. Every character has a personal army. There will occasionally be special combat objectives.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just to make sure: Does mana increase magic damage, or does Damage do that? It(Among other things)'s a bit confusing, with how you worded it.

Draconus297 said:
Succubus (Female)/Incubus (male)
Because life's more fun with that one inexplicably sexy teammate.

Stat boosted: Stamina (wink)
I laughed at this ^^

Well this does sound interesting, I may join, although I don't have much experience with the whole tabletop RPG genre, only collaborative writing RP and electronic RPG games. Anyhow, I did sign up for one of your other RP's Draconus, I'll keep an eye on this one =)

-Achaella

Damage is physical attacks- from swinging your weapon, to the punches and kicks when you're disarmed.

Mana determines the power of all your spells- the damage inflicted by your fireball, the amount your healing spells heal, and how successful alchemic item combination will be.

Well, Achaella, glad to see some of my humor is humorous. In any case, glad to see you're aboard.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back