• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Fantasy Of Fire and Ice [Completed]

Characters
Here
Chief Eron stared at Idren, surprised by how young he was, and by how calm he was. The chief was an old man now, his hair was as white as the snow outside. His face was deeply wrinkled from years in the smoke and sun, and even though he was old, he was clearly still strong. He sat in his wooden chair straight and proud, wearing a sheepskin cloak that was obviously a symbol of his class.
He cleared his throat, and spoke again. "And I am Eron Light, chief of my people. We gather today for your trial, Idren of the Ice-Bringers, on charges of attempted murder of one Catalina Smoke." He spoke in a clipped voice, as if it were a script, and then blinked once. "Catalina Smoke is the daughter of the man sitting at my right, and is my chosen successor. She may be considered the wild child of her generation, but she is the future of our people." The man shook his head slowly, and then spoke again in that official-sounding voice. "The proposed sentence for this crime is death. Let the first witness step forward."
One of Zuko's men from the rescue stepped forward, and began telling the story of the morning...

Catalina stirred slowly, feeling a horrible pain in the center of her chest.
"Well, good morning, sleeping beauty." Quirr said, withdrawing his hand from her forehead. There was a stick of charcoal in it, and when Catalina looked at her arms, she was covered in runes.
"Idren.." She said, but her mouth was so dry she could barely speak.
Quirr raised an eyebrow as he held a cup of warm tea to her lips. "I do not know that name, my dear." He smiled a little at her; they were both odd ducks in the village, and had formed a bit of a kinship over the years. She often brought him herbs that he could no longer retrieve from the forest himself.
Catalina drank deeply, but she didnt feel the warmth of the tea at all. "The guy, who was with me, Idren."
Quirr nodded in understand, and said, "Your father just left for his trial. They have brought attempted murder, because you ahve not actually died, so it isnt murder yet."
Catalina sat up suddenly, and knocked the tea out of Quirr's hand.

Idren sat and listened without interrupting, to the man that was speaking. I'm sure everything he is saying is true but how am I not the first witness. Idren was indeed annoyed by the fact that they didn't seem to be interested in what he had to say. If these jokers at going to kill me, the least they can do is listen to me talk for five minutes.

Yato and his crew got up from their little break and started fowling the trail to the cave. When they got there they could see the obvious trail of 6 fire keepers walking single file in the snow, and they followed the trail.

Last edited:
Eron called the first witness, and then the next, and then the next. None of them were Idren. They couldn't trust a single word he said, not after he attacked one of their own. Finally, everyone who had laid eyes on Idren that day has spoken, and Chief Eron nodded.
"At this moment, let the debate on judgement proceed." He said gravely. There was a silence before anyone spoke, and then it was chaos. Instead of debating their judgement, though, they skipped straight to debating the best way for Idren to die. This went on for what seemed like forever.

Until the door to the Council chambers opened slowly, and a pale, shaking Catalina covered in runes walked in. The council fell silent, and she stepped forward until she was a few steps behind the chair Idren was in. She didnt even look at him.
Chief Eron looked at Quirr, who had followed her inside, and stood up quickly.
Catalina spoke before he could, "Chief Eron, I believe you have not heard proper testimony to proceed with judgement in this trial."
The Chief looked surprised, glancing at Quirr, then Zuko, and then back to Catalina. Zuko was surprised for a different reason; he didn't realize he daughter knew the process of a trial well enough to change the outcome of one.
Chief Eron sat back down slowly, and gave a nod. "Proceed in calling your witness, Miss Smoke."
"Yes, Chief. May I have a chair, first, please?" She began to wobbled, and Quirr stepped forward to steady her while they waited for a chair. "My first witness will be myself, as I witnessed firsthand the events that have lead to this trial."
Chief Eron frowned, but nodded. Zuko placed his head in his hands. A chair was placed next to Idren's, and Catalina was guided into it by Quirr. He put a blanket around her shoulders, and gave her hand a squeeze before backing away.

Last edited:
"I'm glad you are not dead. And thank you for saving me... again..." Idren whispered as she was waiting for her chair. Then he was silent and just waited to hear what she was going to say.

Yato and his crew were almost to what they thought was the edge of the forest at dusk. "Let's rest here for the night and we'll see what is what just before dawn. Then heard something that made their hair stand on edge. It was a long high pitched screech that sounded like thousands of people crying. The temperature had been going up as they drew nearer to the fire keepers home. But now it was noticeably warmer.
Yato yelled "Uldean! Backs together!" At once the group formed into two rings. Yato in the middle and then a ring of five then a ring of ten.
"Shield" Yato commanded, and the outer ring of people crafted a solid dome of energy that encased the entire group in a protective barrier.
"Lance" Yato commanded, and at that command the five men in the inner ring turned toward him and took a knee, and held up their hands and started fueling energy into a pool that was collecting above Yatos head. Yato then materialized a spear and stood ready to throw.
They were surrounded by small trees and brush and the sound seemed to be coming from everywhere. Then crashing through the underbrush came an Unlean. It ran right at the center of the group. Yato had his back to the creature when it attacked so instead of throwing the group had to hold fast and hope their shield held.
There was a thunderous crash and a piercing scream as the uldean hit the shield. But the shield held.The creature stumbled to his feet after being dazed from the impact, it reared for another strike as Yato threw his spear. As he spear left his hand the pool of energy that had been forming above him attached itself to the spear and empowered it. The blast hit the uldean right in the chest. The creature cried weakly then fell....

The few people that were not at the trial and were outside the tower had heard faintly the crys of the uldean. And looked worryingly toward the woods.

Catalina told the story starting at the moment her mother told her to stop moping about the house, and left nothing out, not even the part where she tore off her shirt. She was heavily detailed in explaining the fight with the uldean, and in explaining his efforts to help her not fry within her own skin.
"In the morning, we decided it was best for me to guide him to the edge of the forest, thinking that we would both go home and no one would ever know. But, I.. I got cold and passed out. I remember him picking me up, and I remember being in the cave again, and him asking me not to die." This was the only moment that Catalina stopped looking at Eron, and glanced at her father.
"I woke up being treated by Quirr. He told me that my inner fire is frozen, and that I may still die. But this council is not prepared to make a decision in this case until they understand that, without the young man sitting next to me, I would not have survived the attack of the uldean, nor would I have survived the strain I put on myself, or the affect effects of surviving that strain. I made a decision to keep him safe after I attacked him in the forest, and he has returned that protection tenfold."
Catalina paused and looked down, taking a few deep breaths. Quirr took a few steps forward, but she held a hand up in his direction and he stopped. She swallowed heavily and then spoke again.
"As the victim of the accused's crimes, it is within my rights to move to drop all charges. I wish to make such a motion. I believe Quirr must attest to soundness of mind.." She looked over at the man. The corner of his mouth twitched in a smile, and he looked at Eron.
"Miss Catalina Smoke is of sound mind, and I believe her motion should be taken seriously."

Eron sat back in his chair, watching his selected with a neutral face. She was a dying woman, and yet she was still showing the grit and passion for justice that he had seen in her as a child. Finally, he nodded. "The council accepts this motion." He took a moment to look at Idren, the first time since the beginning of the trial. "This young woman has spared your life. For as long as you remain within the confines of my city, you are her charge. Any action you take against my people, she will be punished for. Think wisely about your actions in this place." He cleared his throat, and looked at the council members. "Council is adjourned and the prisoner is released into the charge of Catalina Smoke."

The councilmen left quickly, to go gossip to the town about what had occurred. Zuko stared at his daughter for a long moment, who stared back stoically. "I need to speak with your mother," He said suddenly, ducking his head and leaving quickly as well. Once he was gone, Catalina seemed to deflate, crumpling a little in the chair in exhaustion. Eron left his chair, and walked to stand in front of the two young people.
"Your father is proud of you, Catalina. Unfortunately, he is also a proud man, and struggles to admit that his daughter will be greater than he." Eron eyed Idren; he trusted this young man only on the virtue of Catalina. "This ice-bringer needs to leave the city as soon as possible."
Catalina glanced at Idren, and then at Eron. "Its dusk, the uldean will be out. He will stay the night, with Quirr and I. He can leave in the morning. No harm will come of it." She stood slowly. Eron and Quirr stepped to her side to steady her, and she smiled at them both, the extra fathers that she loved dearly. "Eron, go, you have a town to attend to. Quirr and Idren can get me back to bed." He nodded, and stepped back so that Idren could take his place. The four of them left the chambers together. Catalina felt immense relief when they did, because Idren was saved and she was going to go back to sleep.
And then, she heard the cry of an uldean, and her blood ran cold. One of the men of the village came running, and the strangest statement came out of his mouth. "There's a group of fifteen ice-bringers at the edge of the forest, one uldean attacking. But we can see others headed that way."
Eron looked at Idren, and then at Catalina. "They're hear to save him." Catalina said softly, and then looked at Idren. Her green-gold eyes were soft, and when she looked back at Eron, the chief realized there was a lot more going on here than he realized. Quirr tapped on the shoulder of Eron, and whispered something into his ear. Eron looked shocked, but nodded.
Eron looked at his man, and said word that he never thought he would utter. "Mobilize the men and help them. Bring them into the confines of the city to keep them safe, but they must surrender their weapons before they enter." He looked at Idren, and said, "We will protect your people for the sake of Catalina, but if they are aggressive, they will be killed. Go, help being your people to safety, I will stay with Catalina."

Idren ran to where his stuff was had been discarded and grabbed his weapons. By the time he had returned there was a large group of men gathered and armed. And together they all set out toward the sounds to the uldean.

Yato stepped out of the circle and approached the downed creature. Then took his sword and plunged it into the creatures skull. Only then did its fire fully go out and the creature died. Yato walked back to the group that had not moved "Alight you guys can rel..."
The rest of his sentence was cut off my another uldean cry. Then another, and another. There was defiantly more than one, but no more than six.
"You boys ready to see just how good these lizards are?" Yato said as he took up his spot at the center again. Yato drew a trap rune in the middle. "When I give the word break into three groups and push out and attack one. I'll drop the shield and hold one or two of them in this trap.
Four uldean came out of the underbrush on four different sides, but made no move to attack. They were uncharacteristically silent for uldean. Then they heard it a low growl masked in the crys of thousands. But this one was different. It was not shrilly or piercing, but that one sound scared the group more than the four uldean surrounding them. A fifth uldean jumped out of the brush and let louse a thunderous roar. It was clearly the alpha because it was almost the size of all four of the other ones combined.
"Whyyy diiid yoouuu killll myyy chillldd" Yato and the others could hear a snake like voice piercing through their heads. "Speeeak orrr diieeee"
Yato mustered up enough courage to talk to the creature, "We were only defending ourselves. He attacked us"
"Yoouuu carrryyyy weaponnsss , annd leavveee youurrr hooomesss. Butttt yoouuu woouulld havvve meee belieevveee thaaat yoouuu cooome inn peeaceee."
"
We came to save one of our number that had been taken prisoner by the fire keepers, we have no quarrel with you."
"Yoouuu dooo noowww....... DIIIEEEEE"

The four smaller uldean charged all at once. Idren threw this spear at the alpha and dropped one quarter of the shield. The three that hit the shield bounced off like the first one, but the shield dropped and failed from the strain. The fourth uldean that was unstopped came flying through and was caught in the trap as the men dove out of the way. The alpha was reeling from the hit was looked to be unaffected by the blast. "BREAK" Yato yelled and his men broke into three even groups and engaged each of the three uldeans that had hit the shield. Yato stabbed the one in the trap and turned to face the alpha just as it roared and charged toward him, not to any of the three groups that were fighting, but right at Yato...

Last edited:
Once again, Zuko was leading the men that went into the forest. There was a group of almost 40 of them, all armed with swords, but they kept them at their hip. "When we hit the woods, we'll go flame-only. Go for brightness, not heat. Drive them away, and then.." That was when Idren joined them. "And then that kid will get his people to follow us up. The uldean won't follow us up into the city, not with the protections, so we just need to get them up here... and then we'll figure out what to do later." With that, he nodded, and lead the group onward.

When they reached the woods, it wasnt hard to find the ice-bringers. One only had to follow the sound of the uldean.
They charged onto the scene as the largest uldean Zuko had ever seen. The entire group of fire-keepers stopped short. "New plan, Shining-Star formation." Zuko shouted. The fire-keepers fell into an arrow-shaped formation, someone pushed Idren to the middle. Each held their outside hand forward, and Zuko, at the point, held out both. Soon they had produced a blinding white light, and they aimed it directly at the alpha uldean. The creature fell back, covering its black eyes with its arm. "Ice-boy, get your people inside the formation," Zuko shouted, holding the spell steady.

As the alpha retreated a little bit so did the other three. Yato stabbed the injured one in the trap again and everybody started grouping together and moving away from the uldean but not towards the fire keepers. Idren knew that he could not yell loud enough to be heard so he threw up his hand and his family crest materialized above the crowd of fire keepers. Yato saw the crest and knew that it would be impossible to replicate unless they were actually related by blood, so he knew Idren was alive, and apparently working with the fire keepers.
"Move to the back of the fire keepers" Yato yelled "Do not engage" His men looked apprehensive at first but when their other choice was to stay and die they decided to follow Yato.
Once they were all behind the fire keepers Yato yelled "Now what"

Thiissss isssn'tt ooverrrrr....... And with that the alpha and the rest of the uldean turned tail and ran.

There was a moment of absolute silence, as the fire-keepers realized what had just happened. The uldean had spoken, in actual words. There was a look between Zuko and one of the men closest to hime, and then Zuko turned and broke the moment of stillness.
Zuko turned to look at the man who seemed to be the leader of the group and spoke quickly. "We need to get your people into the bounds of the city, before they come back. We'll ask you to forfeit your weapons once we are within the protections. Let's move."
The fire-keepers turned on the spot, so that their triangle was facing toward the city, and prepared to move.

Many if the Ice Bringers started to protest what Zuko had said, but Yato held up a hand and silenced them. "For now lets be glad nobody died and that Idren is alive. And I for one am not spending a night out here."
The men fell into line behind Yato who followed the fire keepers as they started towards their village.
"I see you managed to not get burned alive... Good job." Yato whispered to Idren as they all started walking.
"I'm not the one that got me out of dyeing. Had a little help" Idren replied.
"So your new friend pulled through and saved you then?"
Idren was shocked that he knew that he had made a friend, but decided not to ask how because he had given up on trying to figure out how his father knew stuff a long time ago.
They walked the rest of the way in silence.

Catalina was standing at the top of the hill. She was listening to the sound of the uldean. Quirr stood next to her. "Do you really think they will help me?" She asked softly, and the old man gave a grunt and a shrug.
"You saved one of theirs, it would be only proper." He said gruffly, and then he leaned over and looked up at her with a quirky grin. "But you never know with those ice-bringers, right?"
She narrowed her eyes at the old man, and gave a shrug. He gave another humph and leaned away.

At that moment, the group came across the bridge, and Catalina sighed in relief. The bridge was the edge of the city, and the start of the protections. She heard the shuffling of feet, and Eron came to stand next to them.
Zuko lead the group up the hill, and they stopped in front of Eron and his daughter.
Eron held up his hands. "I know that our peoples have always been at war, or at best ignoring the existence of each other, so this is a strange situation. I need to ask your men to surrender their blades and weapons. We all know this does not leave you defenseless, so please.. don't waste time arguing. We dont have beds fro you, but the uldean will be out all night, and it is safe here. There is food waiting in the council hall." Eron paused, and glanced at Catalina. "We do have a second request.. who among you is the most experienced in your ice magic?"

There were once again grumbling and protest at the mention of being disarmed, but again Yato silenced them.
"Come on boys hand over your blades and staffs. It is either that or you spend the night in the forest with that big ugly lizard that vowed to kill all of us."
Yato undid his sword belt and dropped his assortment of weapons on the ground and motioned for his men to make a pile. They complained the whole time muttering things like "this is a bad idea" and "I better get this back" but in the end they all relinquished their weapons without to much a fuss.
"Alright boys, go get some food." As they walked by Yato addressed Eron, "I am Yato Grand Master on the Council of Ice, I would be the most skilled with magic, why do you ask?"

Catalina waited until the ice-bringers had disarmed themselves, and until her father lead the men away to go eat the stew that her mother had made. Then, she moved over to Idren. "Im sorry, that they put you on trial, and tried to kill you." She said softly. She was extremely pale, the circles under her eyes were darker than ever before, and there was a blue tinge to her lips. "And Im sorry that I couldnt explain what was going on, during the trial and then after. But.." She closed her eyes briefly, and her hand rested on her chest for a moment. Then she swallowed, and opened her eyes again. "But I wanted to say thank you, for getting me home. Its good, to be home, with my family, if I'm going to.." She pulled her blanket a little tighter, and smiled at him, deciding not to finish that sentence.

The weapons were collected and locked in the prison where Idren has been, and the men were escorted to the council hall, where hearty venison stew was being served, and as many extra blankets as they had were passed out.

Eron met Yato's eyes leveling, and nodded over in the direction of Catalina and Idren. "The girl talking to your guy, her name is Catalina. She is the one who attacked him, and then saved him, and then was saved by him. She is a dead woman walking, unless you can save her."
He cleared his throat, and Quirr took the opportunity to speak. "Her inner fire has been frozen, by her straining herself and then being cooled unnaturally, by the ice-bringer. Not that he wouldve known that, of course. But we.. we can't do anything for her, we can't melt it or warm her or.. I have some very old texts, that allude to ice-bringers being able to draw the ice out. If you can't... well, she may live, but she will never recover her fire, which for her.. will not be living. There is no detail, in these texts, of how.. but its our only chance." The odd little old man, gave a shrug, and Eron gave a slow nod.
"We ask that you try," Eron said, "She is who I chose as my successor, this matters a great deal."

Idren smiled at her sadly as she was talking, "Now my dad is here and he is the best, so if he teams up with that nice old man I'm sure they can fix you up."

Yato listened carefully as they spoke, nodding slowly as they did. "I believe that I know how to help and if she was an Ice Bringer it would be actually very easy." Yato then showed a flash of nervousness. "I can draw the cold out, but usually we would draw what is needed to heal and a little more because Ice Bringers have more to give and can recover from being drained. I am worried because if I don't pull enough out we won't be able to try again before there is permeant damage, but if I draw to much like I normally would she will louse her fire."

Idren walked Catalina over to his father and introduced her. "Father, this is Catalina. Catalina, this is my father."
"Nice to meet you. I just wish it was under better circumstances." Yato said to Catalina. Yato then explained to Catalina everything that he had told the two men.
"The way it would work is, You would be laid down and a neutral talisman would be put on your chest. Idrens sword would be the best. Then I will apply my cold magic and it will in turn draw out the cold. And as soon as all the cold is out someone will need to apply fire magic to kick start your natural fire. Family ties would be better for this thing so I'm going to want either of your parents to help."

Last edited:
Eron and Quirr both nodded in understanding, but fell silent as the pair of young people walked over to them. Catalina nodded to his father, and listened carefully to him explain.
At the end, she took a deep breath. "My mother."
Eron looked surprised, "Catalina, Im sure-"
She looked up at him with certainty. "No, it will be my mother. She carries blue flame. People forget that, but I don't."
Eron shut his mouth instantly, and looked rather embarrassed. "I will go for her now." The chief walked away quickly.
Quirr stepped into the spot Eron had been and spoke up. "I am the healer here. We can work in my house, its just this way." He ushered the three of them toward it, and Catalina took a seat on her cot. Moments later, her mother appeared in the doorway.
"Well, no time like the present, right?" Catalina said. All of the adults looking at her looked horribly worried, which made her feel like she was definitely dying. Her mother nodded, and looked to Quirr, who looked to Yato.

Yato smiled at Catalina then explained what would happen. "First I am going to merge this sword with your inner power. Then I am simply going to use it up with a basic healing spell, nothing that will cool you down, neutral energy. Once the ice has been pulled out your mother will place her hand on the sword and flow a solid stream of energy into it which will then transfer to your heart. I will regulate how much power you actually get by balancing some of her power with some of mine. That is so you don't get to hot to fast." Yato paused for a moment then asked "Are you ready?"
After nodding Yato placed the sword on her chest with the hilt almost touching her chin and the blade laying down the center of her body. "This is going to feel weird, and i need you to do your best to relax and just let the sword merge.
Yato then put a had on her forehead and the other on the hilt and started muttering the binding spell. It took only a few seconds to take effect and as it did Catalinas physical condition improved. She stopped shivering and color returned to her face and fingers. At the same time the sword started frosting over and it just looked cold.
"Good job that is the hardest part for you, now just relax and let the power flow out, don't fight the healing spell." Yato cast a basic healing spell pulling the power needed from the sword, and as he did Catalina improved because there was a healing spell being applied to her.
After about fifteen minutes of this continuous spell Yato stopped. "She is all out of ice, and the fire is still there it is just dormant." Then turning to Catalinas mother he gestured to the hilt, "Place your hand here hand do your best to maintain a sollid stream of energy, the stronger the better, but don't overdo yourself, this is not a sprint."
She did as instructed and Yato then placed his hand beside her hand and started doing the same thing. "We are balanced now, she is getting just lots of neutral power. I am going to back off, you stay the same." Yato pulled his hand off till just his fingertips were touching the sword. This went of for about a half an hour, the only interruption was Yato asking Catalinas mother how she was doing. Catalina was slowly inproving as the time passed.
"Ok, I'm going to let go now, stay just the way you are." Yato let go and sat back. "Now, she is back to full power and stable, but if you let go any power she louses to the sword before i disconnect it from her will be a permanent lose. So i want you to give it everything you have until you can't go anymore. But please don't hurt yourself doing it. That will charge her up extra so only the extra power will be lost in the few seconds it will take for me to unbind the sword." Yato got ready for the unbinding spell as Catalinas mother took a deap breath and let as much power flow as she could. The sword was starting to turn blue and little flames started to jump around her hand that was touching the sword.
"Let go in 5...4...3...2...1...Now" She let go and Yato started muttering a similar spell that started the whole process. It was surprising how fast the energy seemed to be leaving the sword, but Yato finished and lifted the sword after only a few seconds.
"Catalina? How do you feel?" Yato asked.

Catalina laid down as Yato explained the process in more detail. She nodded, when he asked if she understood, even though she didn't entirely.
The sword was heavy on her chest, but her skin was so cold that at least it didn't give her a chill. She took a deep breath as Yato instructed her to let the magic happen, and tried her best. The moment that the sword merged with her was the weirdest moment of her life. And that was saying something after the day she had just had.
What Yato either failed to mention or realize, was that the sword was old. As in, so old that the magic used to make it was probably lost and no longer understood. It was almost.. intelligent. It had memories, mostly of the war between their people. Yato's voice was distant now; she was listening to the sword. She felt it latch onto her heart even more and begin to pull the ice away, like a splinter out of skin. It was painful, but in a good way. The sword suddenly flashed an image into her brain, of a large uldean standing in front of an unfamiliar white city. She groaned, as the last but if ice left her, and all she felt was empty. The sword responded to this with an image of the same crystal that she had seen before.
Sereen stepped forward and placed her hand as instructed. It was easy for her to provide a lot of power, but to do so steadily would be a challenge. She was out of practice, only using her power now to light cooking fires.
Catalina felt her mother's fire enter her, and her whole body tensed for a moment. It was a harsher experience than she had imagined, but she pushed herself to relax. The sword was silent now, as if the presence of fire offended it.
Sereen followed directions precisely, only nodding when asked if she was okay. Quirr hovered worriedly nearby, but was silent. Finally the moment came. Sereen lifted her hand on the count, and there was a long moment before Catalina opened her eyes.
They fluttered open, and she locked eyes with Yato. For an instant, her eyes were bright blue, and then they faded back to their green-gold color. Her voice was soft and tired when she spoke to him. "The uldean move to destroy your people." The statement came with no explanation, and her eyes moved to her mother, who looked away and left the room. Then she looked to Idren, and said, "I know where your crystal is."

Everyone in the room was taken aback by what Catalina had said, but no one more than Yato. "Tha...That... That is impossible." He managed to sputter out, "Our city even in its present state is a fortress, and impervious to attack by any wild creature." Yato seemed to be trying to convince himself more than Catalina. "And just how do you know this? You were dying less than an hour ago"

Before Yato could continue trying to rationalize what she said Idren interjected. "It doesn't matter if they attack or not if we get that crystal back to the fountain." Idren then addressed Catalina directly, "Where is it? Also are you ok?"

Catalina moved her hand to the sword the Yato held. She placed her hand against the hilt, letting the tips of her fingers brush the back of the man's hands. He would feel the warmth of them, but also the connection between her and the sword. The magic he had just done to her was never intended to be done to a fire-keeper, and it would have a lasting mark. "This sword has very old magic. It has memories of the war, and ideas of the future. It has a soul, even though it isn't human." That was the only explanation she could give. "And I think you know that they are more than wild creatures. They are more restless than ever, and now they have seen ice-bringers brought safely into the home of the fire-keepers. We are a common enemy now. They will try to destroy your people, their original enemy, and then they will try to destroy mine, their new enemy, and the only masters they have ever known."
She removed her hand from the sword, and sat up slowly while Idren spoke.
"I am fine, but I need to see the effect on my fire before I can say for sure. As for the crystal... it wasn't lost. It was stolen. By the sorcerer that made the uldean. You asked me, in the forest, how the uldean knew you were an ice-bringer. Thats how, the sorcerer used that crystal in the magic that made them. Im sure of it now." She shook her head slowly, and then stood. "And then he put it where no one would go looking for it, so that no one would be able to undo what he had done."
The door opened, and Eron stepped in. He looked relieved the see Catalina better, but there was deep worry in his face. Zuko was close behind him. Catalina glanced at them, and then finished her explanation. "The crystal is in Caloria, the den of the uldean."
Eron looked at the three of them, unsure, but suddenly aware of the fact that his successor was in fact surpassing him. He was an old man, and it was time. He and Zuko shared a look.
"Catalina," Eron said, with a smile spreading across his face, "I think its time we plan a coronation."
Catalina turned and stared at him, her expression unreadable for a moment. The moment was so painfully silent that Quirr cleared his throat. The seemed to shake Catalina out of it.
"Um, thank you, Chief Eron, but now is in fact not the time." She glanced at her father, and then at Idren, and then drew herself up proudly. "You were worried about something when you came in here, what it is?"
Eron grew serious again, and admitted what he had come to say. "We sent some scouts after the uldean that attacked the ice-bringers. They were headed toward the old city, and scouts followed them all the way there. There was.. a gathering. Of uldean. The scouts.. their minds did not handle what they saw well, so we aren't sure of the truth of this. But the scouts said that the uldean have mobilized, to be at the ice-city before dawn. They will wait in the safety of a forest cave system... and attack the ice-city tomorrow night." Eron looked at Yato now. "Im afraid that there may be enough to overrun your defenses."

Last edited:
Yato was just dumbfounded by the news. There was actual proof that the uldean were massing for an attack. "I have to get back to Ice City. Weather or not we can hold them it is my duty to be there."
Idren asked the group, "What are we going to do? Prepare defense? Go kill the bad guy wile his pets are away? Or both?"

Last edited:
Eron looked at a loss for words. That morning, he had woken up with the uldean a forgotten nuisance, and the ice-bringers sworn enemies of his people.
Catalina looked between the leaders, and then at Idren while he spoke. "The sorcerer is long dead, but his magic isn't. Its what keeps the uldean alive. If we want to get rid of the uldean, we have to find a way to undo his work."
Zuko looked at his daughter and shook his head, "There is no time, at least not for the ice-bringers. And when the uldean are done with them, they will come for us." Zuko looked between Eron and Catalina, waiting for them to catch on to his point. "We need to send the ice-bringers away, and prepare our own people."
Catalina gave her father, and then Eron, a cold look. Clearly, she had made up her mind that they were to stay together. "Idren and I fought one uldean off together." She looked at Eron, determination making her eyes hard as steel. "If you take our people to the ice-city, they may have a chance. If they die, we will die soon after anyway. We might as well die together."
Eron looked between the two fire-keepeers, and then at Yato. "Yato, my people will join you if you desire. We will prepare for battle, whether it be here or in your city. Send word to me before dawn of your wishes." With that, he and a very angry looking Zuko withdrew from the home, headed to ready their men.
Catalina watched Eron go, confused by his indecision. He was normally such a decisive man. It spoke to how strange the situation really was.
She looked at Yato next. "You'll want to ready your men. You'll need to enter the forest right at dawn, only a couple hours away, if you plan to make it back to your city with time to prepare."

"I was going to leave now." Yato said bluntly "And I'm taking my boys with me too" Before anyone could protest he pulled out a smooth stone almost exactly like the one Idren had around his neck, only this one was much larger. "We are going to teleport back" Yato said before turning to leave.
Idren followed his father outside. "Am I coming too?" he asked. Yato turned to face his son, "No" he said bluntly, "You are going to help Catalina get that crystal and get it back to the city before everyone is dead." Idren was stunned that his father was so relaxed in giving him this task. "Don't look so shocked, you know her and you two work together well. And she is going so you are going too."
Yato walked over to where Eron was getting everyone ready and addressed him, "I am going to take my men and teleport back home. If you are willing we would greatly appreciate your help."

Idren was left standing awkwardly next to Catalina, "So what is the plan princess"

Last edited:
Eron gave a nod. "We will be at your city gates as soon as we can be." He then turned and gave his men the announcement. Once their weapons and supplies were ready, they left without a word to the ice-bringers. They would wait at the edge of the forest until the Mountain star faded, and then they would enter.

Catalina looked at Idren, and then sighed. "I.. I'm going to Caloria. I have to find the crystal, and find a way to take the magic that links it to the uldean off of it. Then, I'll bring it to you, and you can put it wherever it belongs in the city to help your people." She pulled on her boots, and laced them up. "I'll need to leave now, if I have any chance of making it, so I wont be able to see you off, but if everything goes to plan, I'll see you in the city, so.." She swallowed, nodded, and left Quirr's house to head to her own. She needed her armor, her bow, a good blanket, and a good bit of food.

Idren was stunned by what she had said. Dose she really think I'm just going to send her off alone and simply wait for her to come back. "I think you are crazy if you think you are going to bench me and go off by yourself." Idren looked at her with disbelief wile waiting for her to respond.

Yato and his crew all locked arms and then he activated the hearthstone. They found themselves standing in the city square. Yato dismissed his men. He then went to the council chambers where the rest of the council was already waiting. Yato then took his seat before addressing the rest of the council. "The uldean are coming." There was a murmer in the room as each council member each turned to one another in an attempt to comprehend what their leader just said. And above the noise one member stood up and loudly said, "The uldean have not been seen in hundreds of years, and they are mindless beast that were simply dogs of war. There is no way they could be massing for an attack." As he sat down the others nodded their agreement. "Let me show you something" Yato said." He then stood and held out his hand, and in the middle of the circle an image of the party he just lead appeared, except it was just before the uldean attacked them outside the fire keeper city. "This is a vision from my memories, you will see and hear everything I saw and heard." The Scene then commenced in perfect clarity. All of the council members watched with interest. But their interest soon turned to worry as they heard the voice from the alpha. As the scene came to a conclusion Yato sat their silently to let the information shared time to sink in before he spoke. "Clearly not just mindless creatures, and clearly not extinct." Yato stood then continued. "We have a credible source indicating that the uldean have massed and you all just saw that they have a grudge with us." He the paused then ordered, "Ready the city for an attack...."

Catalina paused just before walking into her house and blinked in surprise. "Im sorry, I just assumed you'd be going home or.. whatever." She shook her head and walked inside, letting the door swing wide so that he could catch it and follow her in if he wanted. It opened directly into a warm kitchen, with cupboards of rich cinnamon wood and a massive fireplace. There was a tall cabinet in the corner, which was where she went. She placed her hand on a worn spot in the wood, and a small pulse of light shone around it before the latch of the cabinet clicked open.
Inside were several racks of leather armor. One was bare; her father had already grabbed his and gone. Next to the bare one, was two sets with a little dust on them. One was light colored and inlaid with silver metal, mostly an ornamental set. The other was black and had a good deal of nicks in it, but clearly hadnt even been touched in years. The fourth rack held a rich brown and black set. This was the once that Catalina pulled out and began to put on with practiced ease.
Once she was on her armor, she reached behind where it had been a pulled out a bow. It was made of black wood, with a black leather quiver to match. Securing both to her person, she pulled a pack from the cabinet and set it on the counter.
It was at that moment, that Catalina's mother walked into the house. The woman stood at the door for a moment, staring at her daughter. Then she walked over to the hearth, picked up a blanket and set it in the pack. There was a look between them, and then her mother helped her pack food without a word.
All in all, the process took less than 10 minutes. Catalina hugged her mother for the first time in years, and then turned and walked out the door. She headed straight out of town, and then turned North, before she slowed down enough to be spoken to.
women_leather_armor_armure_cuir_femme_by_lagueuse-d8rr1jr.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back