• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Fantasy Of Black Waters - A Witcher 3 inspired, dark fantasy RP [dead, we are restarting]

OOC
Here
Characters
Here
Lore
Here
Other
Here

BasiliskVeranda

80s Trash

• OBWww.jpg

OF BLACK WATERS
    THE PAST INFORMS THE FUTURE

I wish to express in this letter one simple declaration: we are fools. We are fools, and we are sorry.
    As I write this, I know I am the next to fall.

Deep within the mines off of the sleepy, remote village of Claerview, there lived a legend of rare stones and a rarer sickness. A sickness that breeds other sicknesses. A sickness of black waters. Don't bring back what sparkles, it is a pretty death. This, the old women of Claerview said. And how did they know?

Stories, folklore, and fairy tales. No one is to explore, the entrance barred for good reason. We should have listened, and yet we went as adventurers are apt to do, seeking tales for our own children to tell for years to come.

After constant digging and costly ventures, we hit what we thought to be the end of the whole place. No real treasure to be found, but a flat bedrock with black water up to the calves, and some odd looking glyphs. Jeremy pocketed a few stones; they were but obsidian and ruddy quartz. No real treasure. None came to sickness. The bird of warning made no cries, and nothing was foul enough to warrant concern.

But it was foul, and it followed. It followed, and the weeks since have seen small gurglings of what we wrought.

Fletcher is dead. He died in a pool of his own blood, eyes scooped out of his head. The culprit was his elderly mother.

Kelis is dead. She died traversing the Ferrow Bog, which is home to not much else but frogs. I found her top half in a tree, and the other fused within a large stone.

Jeremy, the light of our troupe, is dead. The youth erupted via a crash of lighting, as made apparent by the scorched marks and debris about the field.

Agatha is dead. Her illnesses was the kind that seeps from the mouth. It just wouldn't stop. I locked her away to prevent the spread. She is now a heap of tar.

I do not write this to let it be known that I know I am to die. To die by sabotage from geriatric, black-watered nightmare, freakish storm, or plague-curse.

I write this to let anyone who may read this know, that this was our fault. It was our fault, and I am sorry.

I also write this because, I feel, that I am the one meant to write what I see taking shape. For why else would I still draw breath, as the others were to die so fitfully?

The months that followed proved more potent. I suspect I am here to tell you this, most of all:

Our world is changing; people who were clear-eyed have snapped at the smallest of slight, killing those around them. I know of a woman who swears she saw a slack-jawed creature erupt from the black waters of a small pond and shuffle her young son away to the world beyond. I couldn't possibly hope to catalog everything I've learned and seen, but I shall try.

I shall try, perhaps, even after death, to do this service. It is the least I can do for damning us all.

I suspect, you who may be reading this, shall now be seeing things fantastical and horrifying. I suspect you shall see what we wrought, and what we wrought was bound to happen eventually, or perhaps, had happened long before.

I shall not see the final culmination of this evil, this I know. I was dead the minute I stepped foot in those mines. And I damned a whole world to die alongside me.

—𝕿𝖞𝖇𝖆𝖑𝖙 𝖂𝖞𝖓𝖓 𝖁𝖊𝖗𝖎𝖙𝖆𝖘

tybalt.jpg

Last edited:
[class=biggie] width: 100%; margin: 0 auto; text-align: center; clear:both; font-size:13px; color: #1d1b15; font-weight:100; display:flex; flex-flow: row nowrap; height: 100%; [/class] [class=bg]background-image: url(http://dndspeak.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/07/fantasy_forest_by_renanrdgs-d7wt6hq.jpg); background-repeat: no-repeat; background-size: cover; background-attachment: fixed; padding:30px; width: 100%; display:flex; flex-flow: row nowrap; height: 100%; [/class] [class=bigcenter] background: RGBA(16,19,20,0.91) ; text-align: left; margin: 0 auto; padding:10px; color:#eed9cd; font-weight:400; border: 5px solid #0b2427; word-spacing: 2px; letter-spacing: 1px; padding:20px; box-sizing: border-box; font-size:13px; width:90% [/class] [class=bigcenter2] text-align: center; padding:30px; margin: 0 auto; color:#eed9cd; max-width:900px; word-spacing: 2px; letter-spacing: 1px; box-sizing: border-box; font-size:13px; width:100%; clear: both; [/class] [class=left] padding:20px; color: #e2e8e5; box-sizing: border-box; width:30%; float: left; [/class] [class=right] padding: 20px; box-sizing: border-box; color: #e2e8e5; width: 65%; float: left; max-height: 700px; overflow: auto; margin-left: 10px; border-bottom:1px dotted #d68b5e; font-size: 14px; line-height: 22px; [/class] [class name=bg maxWidth="800px"] margin: 0 auto; padding: 10px[/class] [class name=bigcenter maxWidth="800px"] padding: 0px; margin: 0 auto; width:90%;[/class] [class name=bigcenter2 maxWidth="800px"] padding: 0px; margin: 0 auto; width:90%;[/class] [class name=left maxWidth="800px"]margin: 0 auto; padding: 20px; margin-top:20px; float: none; width: 90%; text-align: center;[/class] [class name=right maxWidth="800px"]margin: 0 auto; padding: 20px; margin-top:20px; max-height: 100%; float: none; width: 90%[/class]
[div class=biggie]
[div class=bg]
[div class=bigcenter]
Fletcher Niles Cambria
"What's the worst that could happen—I die? Been there, done that. Anyways, who wants to get drunk and do crimes?"

[div class=left]
green.jpg

With: Strangers/Devon
MOOD MUSIC:
Miatje - Temptation Waits

Quest:
A Rather Large, Foul-smelling Bird

[/div][div class=right] Medreen, Medreen, Medreen. The name of this small hamlet rolls off the tongue like some mystical, scenic location, while the reality is far more banal. The first thing Fletcher noticed upon entering the diminutive town was that it stank. It was the stink of the country, the stink of human life, and the stink of some over-caked hen house. However, Fletcher did not see many hens, and certainly not enough to warrant whatever was hitting his nose like a skillet to the face.

The second thing Fletcher found himself noticing was the lack of merchants. There seemed to be a perpetually confused herbalist, who from the looks of it, was leaning towards some sort of dementia. Every so often, he'd start and stop, focusing and unfocusing, as the ashen haired man attempted to assess his wares. Wares that of which he wouldn't ever be paying for, but it wasn't like he had telepathy and could dig around in the still-not-set-up stall. The blacksmith was also an issue: borderline deaf, as apparent by the thief attempting to get his attention with the snap of his fingers.

The third thing Fletcher noticed was a message board; shoddily made and tacked with various bits of vellum and loose-leafs. One contract stuck out to him in particular, possibly being the case of the errant stench: A Rather Large, Foul-smelling Bird. With a piece of crumbling corn-cake lodged in the side of his cheek, the thief tore the umpteenth version of this contract from its tack and flicked his eyes over the contents. Bare-bones information, fairly good coin, and it would possibly end the attack on his senses.

Munching loudly, the pale man twisted past the herbalist and ducked his fingers into the man's pocket. He found a small satchel of tobacco. Smiling at his good fortune, he finally managed to swallow the dry cake, and relinquished himself to tucking the satchel away. Fletcher jammed the piece of paper in his pocket, unearthed the now much-smaller parchment-protected corn cake bit, and shoveled more food into his face. After he was done ungracefully munching, he licked his fingers and wiped his hands on his mismatched clothing.

"Hmm...it's already that late?" he asked himself, staring up at the sky as the sun settled a few thumb-length's above the thin line of the horizon. Watery azure tones licked past the clouds, and pink-orange framed the sun above. It was beautiful, and it would've been far more beautiful if not for the fair-haired man unceremoniously lodging his left foot into a pile of wayward manure.

"Ahh...for fucks sake..." the blond winced, scraping his foot through a patch of grass. This boot would no longer help matters. Casting a clear-eyed glance about the peasants now pulling away to do whatever it was they did at dusk, Fletcher rounded one who seemed to have impeccable shoes. The tall, red-haired fellow in front of him was speaking with a woman; apparently they were staying at the local bar/inn that he needed to go to anyways. For now, they wanted to see what the herbalist was selling—woman/headache, man/rich.

Finding luck on his side yet again, Fletcher did what he did best; pretend to fit in, and with an air of confidence and seemingly like he knew where he was going, he managed to do just that. The barkeep/innkeeper was a comely young woman, and it took no more than a well-placed smile and a jubilant exaltation of being happy to head to his room after a long trip to get the wheels in her head spinning.

At the far end of the room sat a rather impatient older fellow, who was downing honeyed-mead like it owed him coin. Fletcher assumed he was the giver of his current contract, but had one more important thing to do before he set off on slaying whatever it was that needed slaying.

"You don't remember me? Ah, well, of course not...we were getting a tad bit enthusiastic with the ale—amongst other things—weren't we?"
"Sir, you must have me mistaken for someone else," the innkeeper said, shuffling a few strands of raven black hair behind her ear, "I am...soon to be engaged...there's no possibility..."
"Well, my apologies then...I shouldn't speak so loudly of such matters. I would never," Fletcher smiled, something sun-bright and marginally embarrassed, "wish to cause trouble. In any case," he leaned over the slim table and hefted his bag onto it. It took but a split second to notice the small—cheap—crystal earrings the woman wore.
"A promise made is a promise kept," Fletcher dug into his bag and unearthed an equally cheap—but convincing—pair of mock-azurite drop earrings.
"Sir? I—"
"It's fine. I always remember the details of fine conversations with fine women. But apparently, I always...forget which room I was staying in. Oh, bother..." Fletcher put on his best winning smile, and the now flustered innkeep hurriedly rushed him upstairs. The earrings were in her fist, her fist was in her pocket, and her eyes were skittering around the edges of her perception.
"T-this one?"
"I...really can't say. They all look the same, do they not? Let's have a peek."
As such, she opened a room and he poked his head in. Nothing that spoke to luxury. Another, and another, and then he put the pieces together.
"Ah, yes. This one. Thank you. You'd best get back now; who knows what scoundrels are lurking. They very well could run off with your entire lot of mead!"
"Y-yes, yes you're quite right, and...sir—" she hesitated.
"I won't tell if you won't," Fletcher said, crossing his heart with his finger, "Cross my heart, for bright sun and stars, and no secrets shall slip even tortured behind bars." She offered him a confused, but flattered smile, and turned about to go on her way.
"Sir?"
"Yes, m'lady?"
"Thank you for...thank you for these, I—"
"Think nothing of it, but perhaps wear them in secret. We wouldn't want...a complication. And, to be plain, they'll never match your beauty, anyways."
With another bright smile, Fletcher saw her off. He saw the smile she wore. In some way, although he'd confused and possibly complicated matters, as it seemed was his modus operandi, he was sure he made her happy. Even with a cheap trinket, and a fabricated story, there could be a great joy. One just had to believe in the power of it. They had to believe in the beauty of it, and that would make it real.

Belief made every single person's reality. No exceptions.

"Fucking finally," he said with a spindling sigh, before darting to snag a pair of fine shoes. A tinderbox was nestled gently at the bedside table, as were a few thin pieces of paper. Of course, he took them. Then, Fletcher's shoes came off, they were ungracefully dropped out the window, the new shoes came on, and he was gone. If the man would find his own shoes affixed to Fletcher's feet, he would simply leave. He was hard to catch, anyways. And now, he had an unlikely ally, with a fake secret, who would surely rather keep the commotion down to keep that very fake secret close to her very ample chest. He had but to listen to the old fuck at the table, and be on his way.

In, out, fell some beast or at least pretend he did, and then he'd skitter away like an ashen-colored, pretty, dubious minx.

"Are you De—" The pale man had barely a moment to assess those around him before the apparent contract-giver started his half-drunken spiel.
"A rather large, foul-smelling bird has been seen as of late. It has destroyed several crops, as apparent by the large tracks and steaming piles of excrement."
"Quite rude to interrupt someone, don't you thi—"
"A few wayward farmers, annoyed by its ministrations, have gone after it. They have yet to return. As such, we require two things before you receive your payment of 500 gold split between you. Firstly, the foul pheasant must disposed of, with proof. Secondly, the idiots returned safe and sound."
"Split?"
The thief cocked his head around, satchel slung over his shoulder, and grimaced.
"Well that's hardly—"
"It's just a large bird, after all. You're all hearty adventurers, aren't you? Stop wasting my time with questions, and do what you were hired for."
"Hmm...I think I shall pass. That is certainly,"
Fletcher raised a feline brow, "not nearly enough for this many...fine, able-bodied adventurers..." The thief registered the headache-woman and rich-man wielding into the inn.

"On second thought, it might be an enjoyable excursion, provided the bird is not as fucking putrid as suggested, wouldn't you agree, old friend?" Fletcher caught a raven-haired...short...woman's eyes and smiled. He made sure to say friend just loud enough as the couple passed to chart up the stairs. He had someone to blame now, and he would. Poor girl. She was rather pretty to look at, and pocket-sized. He enjoyed pocket-sized women, and judging by the look she was giving him, feisty at that.

Once outside, Fletch took to crafting a shoddily wrapped pipe-replacement. It went into the mouth, the sulfur-matches were struck, the satchel was affixed more keenly so he didn't have to cart it around, and he trailed behind this merry band of...whatevers. They seemed like fine enough people, with perhaps...fine enough things?

"How much do we want to bet that the moronic farmers found their way into a ditch? I can scarcely believe a warted gaggle of sentient hay conveniently lost themselves chasing a large, smelly rooster. Something strange is afoot." Something strange, indeed, was afoot. Smoke lingered from his nose as the ashen-haired man plucked the rolled papers from his lips and quirked a cat-like smile.

[/div]
[div class=bigcenter2]

"Hmm...I could help you, yes. But I could also just watch you suffer. That'd be far more amusing—what do you mean you'll get me a cat if I help?! Why the ten circles of Zaeria didn't you say that sooner?!"
[/div]
[/div]

[/div]
[/div]

Last edited:
Ser Addam of Brightwall
The King Who Will Come

Addam was quite at home in Medreen. It wasn't much different from his home, Brightwall. Maybe a bit smaller, with less people, but still quite similar. It would make a fine home, perhaps. But the knight wasn't here house hunting. The good Count Gaspard had tasked the brave Ser Addam with finding Hareth, the Count's eldest son. The boy was on his way to visit Countess Jasmine, his aunt, when he simply...vanished. With little information, and rumors of monsters, Addam was dispatched to find Hareth and bring him home. The young man was last seen in Medreen, seemingly inquiring about the recent string of strange events in the area. Upon asking around, Addam was directed towards Devon, and a deal was made: Addam would deal with this...avian with hygene problem, and Addam would get information on Hareth. While reluctant at first, Addam had no choice but to accept. If he refused, he'd get nowhere, and he would fail his liege, and no good knight would dare let that happen.

Addam twiddled his thumbs as Devon finished, the knight simply nodding as he said, "A promise is a promise, My Lord. I'll help see this done." That's when...someone came in. Blonde, thin, and...roguish? Addam wasn't sure. But he would accept any help he could get. First, he extended his hand to the black haired woman, saying, "I am Ser Addam of Brightwall. A pleasure to work with you." His words were genuine, as was his handshake, and soon he turned to the other, making a bit of an uncomfortable face, the knight saying, "A pleasure to meet you...ser. I hope the farmers are alright... I've never heard of any bird that smells like excrement...is this why Hareth was here...?" The last part was quiet, whispered under his breath as he stroked his chin. He already wasn't sure about this whole situation. Something didn't add up. And by God, his new blonde aquaintance was a fucking dick! Addam wondered if he was of noble blood due to his comments on the common folk. The knight was no stranger to comments directed towards his low birth, and wasn't one to simply stand by and see others treated poorly. "Please, don't be so rude. They most likely...lost their way. It's quite easy to get lost in the forest, especially once the sun sets. Mix that in with the bird...I pray they found somewhere safe." Addam seemed a bit...guarded, as if he was wearing a mask. A mask of chivalry and dignity, hiding the shy, quiet man behind it. He couldn't be seen as vulnerable? As a knight, it was his duty to act as a beacon of hope to the world, and to show any weakness would break the spirit of those he had sworn to protect. And as a knight, he refused to allow this to happen.

BELIAL. BELIAL.
BasiliskVeranda BasiliskVeranda

Valoria
Mood: Irritable
Interactions: BasiliskVeranda BasiliskVeranda Rusty of Shackleford Rusty of Shackleford
With: Entire group
Mention: The Dark Wizard The Dark Wizard , idalie idalie (but everyone)

The tiny, shamble of an Inn that resided in Medreen had housed Valoria for a week or so. She’d camped down in the place, eyes out for gold and job, but hadn’t been too fond to stay. While it wasn’t on the larger side of towns, she still felt uneasy in such close company with locals. After so many years out in the open, she’d hoped that being immersed in the world that existed outside of her putrid-smelling prison would make her a little more open. A little more accepting of the quirks and mannerisms of people. Intrinsically she found others fascinating, but she preferred her solitude time and time again.

It made her doubt her choice, to this day. Would she have been better off back home, cleaning the hearths and scrubbing the never-ending mildew growing up the walls? Sure it was claustrophobic, and Yvaine made her want to commit at least ten atrocities to a nearby village, but at least it was familiar. All of this, and all the people, were unpredictable. Strange. They didn’t know some of the things that Lori did. Some whispered about boogeymen in the shadows, and the occasional ghoul in a well terrorizing some farmstead-- but they never knew how to deal with it. She’d read her mother’s grimoires and creature handbooks from cover to cover, over and over, so she knew a thing or two. But here it was… odd. Perhaps it was too bold of an assumption for her to assume everyone was well aware of the Black Water as she did.

In her week at the Inn, she’d kept an usual ear out for gossip or stories. Less than half of the jobs she’d acquired she actually demanded payment for. Between the travel to farmsteads outside of Medreen, to properties at the edge of the town, she hadn’t been entirely picky on where the money-- or the interest-- lead her. Call it pity, or sympathy, but the poor farmer who had a curse on his land, or the hungry child who had angered the spirit of his dead mother, could not summon the usual apathy or aloofness from Lori. Her heart ached, and she’d turned out her own pockets to help them out. Foolish goodness, her mother would say. Lori would spare a robin with a broken wing and her mother would crush it in front of her face upon finding it.

Perhaps it really was best that she wasn’t trapped there anymore.

This day, as it happened, was already turning out to be more interesting than the week had been.

She was one of the group of strangers, ears pricked in listening to Devon’s qualms. A roguish blond made sure to interject as often as he could, amongst the rabble. Her eyebrow quirked in his direction, compensating for the supreme urge in her to thrust something sharp and pointy into his wind bags. How many people was Devon willing to pay for this job? Was it truly that large of a problem that all were needed? If Lori made headway before some of the simpler ones, perhaps she could finish this job by herself. More money that way too, and a handsome some at the looks of the advisor.

The blond smiled at her at the end of the man’s hasty exit, proclaiming them old friends. This time both eyebrow shot to her hairline, and she racked her mind where she could have known the man. It wasn’t oft she worked with others, nor was it oft that someone would so loudly declare their friendship with her. She half-hesitated to look behind her, seeing if he was speaking about someone else. But no, it seemed to be toward her.

Silently, she shook her head, glaring at him. I don’t know you.

A taller, black-haired man who was lean and pretty in the face extended his hand to Lori. She didn’t miss the initial trajectory being toward her face, because well she was terribly short, and half-assed gave a shake back. She was confused, but could be respectful.

A pleasure. You may call me Valoria, but I doubt you’ll get an all around friendly introduction scheduled with all the lot here,” she said with an errant gaze toward a particularly stinky man off to the side of the group. Ser Addam, as his name was, seemed less than pleased with the blond’s comment. Lori couldn’t care much for it, but she began to formulate some postulations on what this bird could be. Nothing normal, that’s for sure.

The group wandered their way out, muttering among themselves and Lori finding herself walking beside Ser Addam, when the blond made another comment. A haughty puff of air had Lori turn around, wondering if he’d be making comments like that the entire expedition. If he played this game further she wouldn’t hesitate to throw a couple jinx his way, at least to play his tongue a bit more polite than it already was. Lori may have been raised in a swamp, but she knew manners.

Me thinks your jesty comments and big words make you less inclined to have half a mind toward what this bird is,” she mocked, narrowing her eyes. “Of course something strange is afoot. No rooster, that’s for sure. Dispel your mundane assumptions for the time being, alright?” She huffed, and then looked at the others. Her gaze momentarily caught on a purple, horned man being among the group. Among the other giants, he was probably the least strange looking. Lori crossed her arms and looked at Ser Addam, a sympathetic gaze slipping across her face.

It would be kind to assume they were simply lost. But these days, it’s easier to presume the worst than make assumptions of the best. Harden your heart, Ser Knight. We’re in for the long haul.

codedbycrucialstar

[class=biggie] width: 100%; max-width:1200px; margin: 0 auto; text-align: center; clear:both; font-size:12px; color: #fff; font-weight:100; background: #000 [/class] [class=whut] background: #000;[/class] [class=handsomedevil] background: #262626; text-align: left; width:32%; float:left; color: #fff; font-weight:100; [/class] [class=speakeasy] letter-spacing: 3px; word-spacing: 2px; border-bottom: solid 10px #47302e; font-size:14px; background: #262626; padding:10px; box-sizing: border-box; color: #fff; font-weight:100; [/class] [class=speaks] color: #fff; padding:15px; text-align: left; float:right; width:65%; background: #262626; font-size:14px; line-height:1.4; letter-spacing:1px; padding:20px; box-sizing: border-box[/class] [class=tip]background-color: #47302e; padding: 10px; box-sizing: border-box; margin-left: 15px;[/class] [class name=tip maxWidth="800px"] margin: 0 auto; padding: 10px; width:100%; box-sizing: border-box[/class] [class name=handsomedevil maxWidth="800px"] margin: 0 auto; padding: 10px; width:100%; box-sizing: border-box[/class] [class name=whut maxWidth="800px"] margin: 0 auto; padding: 0px; width:97%; box-sizing: border-box[/class] [class name=biggie maxWidth="800px"] padding: 0px; margin: 0 auto; width:100%; box-sizing: border-box[/class] [class name=speaks maxWidth="800px"]margin: 0 auto; padding: 10px; width:100%; box-sizing: border-box[/class] [class name=speakeasy maxWidth="800px"]margin: 0 auto; padding: 10px; width:100%; box-sizing: border-box;[/class]
[div class=whut]
[div class=biggie]
[div class=speakeasy]
Baldur Kloss[/div]

[div class=handsomedevil]

d5031c0435289bf25329880a12a6a081.jpg

[/div][div class=speaks]

Medreen's Bar/Inn

Baldur had just had his second pint of beer from the tavern, spending his last coin as he grabbed the Zweihander his father had given him and used it as a cane, hoisting himself to standing as Devon walked in and delivered his missive to the group of adventurers gathered. Devon was a familiar face - he was the one who did all the business with Baldur and his father, since speaking to executioners was beneath the Lord Du Medreen, not that said lord could negotiate sums anyways. Devon spoke dismissively as always, which Baldur assumed was just the normal way that people spoke - it was certainly the attitude that everyone had towards him if they were sober, but he reckoned they were much more fun drunk. The advisor described a mission to kill some creature which Baldur knew nothing about, but he had read of it in the Chanson du Comencange, a true story, or so Baldur believed.

Exiting the tavern was a party consisting of a short girl, a blonde man with a neck that was too thin to be adequate cutting practice, a knight with dark hair who seemed to care all too much about the sensitivities of common folk, and a purple man among others. The blonde made a joke that the peasants who reported the bird-thing likely just fell into a ditch. Baldur laughed, "at least they were living when they fell into the ditch" he said in his bass voice. "Many in these parts are not so lucky" he joked ominously, grinning and obviously thinking his own dark, creepy joke was very amusing. The knight quickly stepped in to defend the peasants' poor sense of direction, and the dark haired woman warned the group that this creature could be real. Baldur felt inclined to agree with her.

"I must admit, I do hope for our own entertainment that this whole thing is more than a.... fowl rumor" he remarked, making another joke which was almost as bad as the last, but not nearly as violent. If anyone was holding out hope that his sense of humor was not always bleak, they would soon be disappointed. "Otherwise, we may soon have to kill a man and feather him up to get our money" Baldur added with a chuckle.

Baldur's curiosity was piqued most about the slightly purple man. He had heard stories about purple men, who actually were snails before they took the shape of men. Like all tall tales, there had to be some truth in them, and the executioner was excited to meet his first snail-man.

"I am Baldur, the executioner. Why is your skin purple?" he asked with characteristic bluntness and lack of etiquette.

BasiliskVeranda BasiliskVeranda Rusty of Shackleford Rusty of Shackleford , The Dark Wizard The Dark Wizard , idalie idalie , BELIAL. BELIAL.

[/div]
[/div]
[div class=biggie]
[div class=speakeasy]
"That's not so bad!"
[/div][/div][/div]

Last edited:
1.jpg Ah, Medreen. A beautiful town plagued by the scourge of men and their vices. Gwyndilin couldn't complain, though-- She was just as much to blame for that as anyone, a drunken sailor by night and a bitter hag by morning.. It was her newest perch of mischief, having rolled into the town only a handful of days ago with little coin to her name. She, like so many other bitter scowls and sordid mental states, had all but cleared the bounty-board their first few nights, only to slink away to this denizen of drunkards till the morning. Gwyn came not here for debauchery, though, but for work.. for once. Finally, Devon had made a posting for some... large bird, and invited other rogueish types to claim it. The dark haired woman sat some tables away, near the dark, the pulsating glow of a lit pipe only identifying her presence; Not hidden, but certainly away from anyone she didn't care to speak with, Devon included. The more they talked, the more apparent it became that 1.) Devon was a right prick as ever, and 2.) The farmers were very likely dead. How fun. Gwyn could only hope they wouldn't meet the same end. Unless it turned out the rest of their party were right pricks, too, in which case, she could only hope she had enough time to scavenge from their corpses.

As they all shuffled out, she stood to follow, carrying from the dark with her a cloud of tobacco. In her hand, she polished off an iron schooner, setting it upside down back onto the wood. Something certainly didn't add up, and in the interest of eating tonight, Gwyn figured she ought to introduce herself to those that had already arrived. She came to the side of one-- a blonde with a sorry excuse for a pipe-- and raised hers to her lips, drawing from it with a deep inhale. Her head inclined in his direction, respectfully, and she jerked a thumb back inside, toward Devon. "All this talk of a disgusting bird, I believe we've just missed him." She smirked playfully, smoke billowing from her nose as her dark eyes flicked from him to the rest of the intrepid group. So many dashing, bright faces, Gwyn was starting to look forward to this trip. Turning over her pipes contents and snuffing out the ashes with the toe of her boot, she gestured to the rest of them with a curious, charming grin, "Well, aren't you a capable bunch. We'll have this beast stuffed and mounted on a wall by sundown, aye?"

That was the goal, anyway. But Gwyn couldn't help but feel like they next few hours were going to be grueling, to say the least. Though, it wouldn't be all bad-- Out of all companions she had in recent times, taking on these sorts of minor expeditions, none had this many members for only one such creature. Perhaps the job would be done in all of enough time that they share an ale together. She'd quite like to pick apart the lives of these people, one even younger than she, it seemed.

She extended a palm to anyone willing to shake it, "Gwyndilin. It's a pleasure."

Mentions: (all + BasiliskVeranda BasiliskVeranda specifically) Interactions: OPEN

Alexi
~Rogue, Pretend Bard, Dashingly Sexy

Alexi looked at the much taller man who had approached him. Staring at him from the corner of his eye, he shugged the rest of his ale and put the pint down, realizing that his own hands were purple again. He sighed internally as he accepted that his concentration must have lapsed at some point and people could see parts of his purple face from under his hood, his obvious hands and parts of his exposed smooth chest. He turned his head to match the direction of his eyes and offered the larger man a smile, taking him in fully and accessing his, height, looks, and any gear in plain sight. Ever since he came to this town, things were not going in favor, which slightly agitated him, but not enough for it to matter, since his optimistic side kicked back in, figuring he'd just make his own luck soon enough.

"I'm purple because I'm a purple man" he offered as an explanation, offering a casual smile as he slightly touched his face with his hand, but in reality, he was adjusting the hood so that his horns weren't visible at the very least. He wondered what else could go wrong, all he wanted to do was find a side gig, maybe help with that quest that the other man was recruiting for but since he got here, he has had dogs harass him, kids see through his illusion briefly and now a self-proclaimed executioner was in his face, and rather blunt as well. "I kid, I have a rare skin condition that tints my skin you see, but fret not, it is not contagious."

Archie Archie + everyone else.

Last edited:
[class=biggie] width: 100%; max-width:1200px; margin: 0 auto; text-align: center; clear:both; font-size:12px; color: #fff; font-weight:100; background: #000 [/class] [class=whut] background: #000;[/class] [class=handsomedevil] background: #262626; text-align: center; width:30%; margin: 0 auto; float:left; padding:10px; color: #140033; font-weight:100; [/class] [class=speakeasy] letter-spacing: 3px; word-spacing: 2px; border-bottom: solid 10px #47302e; text-align: center; font-size:14px; background: #262626; padding:30px; color: #fff; font-weight:100; [/class] [class=speaks] color: #fff; padding:15px; text-align: left; float:right; width:65%; background: #262626; font-size:14px; line-height:1.4; letter-spacing:1px;[/class] [class=tip]background-color: #47302e; padding: 10px; box-sizing: border-box; margin-left: 15px;[/class] [class name=handsomedevil maxWidth="800px"] margin: 0 auto; padding: 10px; width:100%; box-sizing: border-box[/class] [class name=whut maxWidth="800px"] margin: 0 auto; padding: 0px; width:97%; box-sizing: border-box[/class] [class name=biggie maxWidth="800px"] padding: 0px; margin: 0 auto; width:100%; box-sizing: border-box[/class] [class name=speaks maxWidth="800px"]margin: 0 auto; padding: 10px; width:100%; box-sizing: border-box[/class] [class name=speakeasy maxWidth="800px"]margin: 0 auto; padding: 10px; width:100%; box-sizing: border-box[/class]
[div class=whut]
[div class=biggie]
[div class=speakeasy]
Kaykavus Nadir[/div]

OYcgSsv.jpg

[/div][div class=speaks]

"You are familiar, you know." The flickering light of the nightly campfire dances shadows over the old man's hooded face, sat five feat away. The elder merely chuckles, nodding slowly
"I travel. Quite like you, yes?" Kaykavus furrows his brows under a darkness cast by his helmet,
"How did you kno-" he's interrupted as a withered finger jabs the chest of his chainmail. The old man chuckles dryly,
"Your armour is not from here, your accent is not from here, you are not of here." Kaykavus brushes the finger away, shrugging,
"Fine. This is true, but you did not explain where we have met." The old man chuckles again,
"We have traveled far, and crossed paths. I am sure that you will remember in time. May I make a suggestion, friend?" Kaykavus stares, silently, for a moment. The feeling of suspicion is apparent in his body language, but the old man takes the silence as permission - The old man leans forward, his body gradually stretching to close the distance, until his face is a few inches from Kaykavus', "The people here are not welcoming to outsiders. Keep your differences covered, for all of our sakes."

Kaykavus awakes with a start, having seemingly fallen asleep by the fire. He looks around, the old man no where in sight. Strange. As dawn breaks through the trees, he pushes himself to his feet and kicks dirt over the remaining embers. Packing his bedroll and retying the string for his bow, he sets on his path. It would take one more hour of walking before arriving, but by then he would hopefully find some reason for the trip. Failing that, every town has alcohol - Watered down shit, but better than nothing.
The river will show the way to Medreen, he only needs to follow it.

The straw rooftops break the horizon sooner than expected. The keep's tower peaks out first, marking the clearing to the town of Medreen.
"Finally," he sighs. The peasants offer a wide berth, not used to adventurers it seems. For fun, Kaykavus suddenly lunges at one of the peasantfolk - The man flinches back, landing in the grass. Kaykavus laughs, grabbing the man's hand and pulling him back to his feet.
"Job?" he asks, keeping it short with an effort to hide the accent. The peasant looks at him with some plain annoyance, but points to the Inn.
"It's... there. Lord Devon Schift's adviser is meeting with men like...well, you." Kaykavus nods, looking to the building. He notices a few others on their way to it as well, those who very apparently are not mere peasants. It seems he will be working with a few other adventurers.

Kaykavus steps into the tavern, wholly uninterested in the patrons, the innkeep, or their wenches. He walks straight to the table which the other adventurers have taken to listen to the adviser. It is an interesting group. As the bored adviser runs through his base information, Kaykavus inspects the others who have arrived as well. Troublemakers, reserved raven-haired women, a giant of a man, one with purple skin, and a woman he would swear is a pirate at first glance.

The adviser's line is over, and the others start to funnel out of the tavern. The blond man jokes at the peasant's expense, the knight and the woman hope for their safety, at least seemingly. The giant speaks last,
"I must admit, I do hope for our own entertainment that this whole thing is more than a.... fowl rumor." Kaykavus breaks into a snicker, moving a hand to his mouth in an attempt to stiffle it, but he goes again
"Otherwise, we may soon have to kill a man and feather him up to get our money," Kaykavus breaks into a short laugh.
"You are a funny man." He speaks fluidly, but with a thick accent.

The pirate woman, apparently 'Gwyndilin,' introduces herself and offers her hand. Not keen on abandoning the opportunity to acquaint himself, Kaykavus takes the handshake and bows his head slightly, "Kaykavus Nadir. I hope it will be."

[/div]
[/div]
[div class=biggie]
[div class=speakeasy]Have you forgotten already?[/div][/div]

[/div]
Archie Archie BELIAL. BELIAL. Rusty of Shackleford Rusty of Shackleford BasiliskVeranda BasiliskVeranda mothspit mothspit and everyone else

Last edited:
The Man with the Broken Blade

fox4.png

Somewhere in Medreen . . .

“You’re certain I can’t get a higher price for this? This saddle was handmade, you know. It was all that rage in Tallis last year. The man who made it said it was the finest work he ever produced by far.”

The blacksmith grunted and brought the hammer down. It struck the dagger he was forging with a metallic cling. Sparks lit up the dim room.

You heard my offer,” he grunted in a voice that reminded one of snarling hounds in pit. Forty. No more. No less. You don’t like it, then pack your keester out of my doorway and find another blacksmith to bother.”

Shia observed him a little longer. The setting sun flickered through the open doorway that separated the dingy old shop from the rest of Medreen. In another hour or two, the town would be thoroughly under the grip of darkness. Not that this seemed to trouble the old smith at all. He was a small man, with a shock of grizzled gray hair that hung unkempt to his lower back, and powerful shoulders that strained the ragged, sleeveless tunic. One ear appeared to be missing. A gift from another irate customer, perhaps?

Shia wouldn’t have been surprised. It seemed to be the ghastly way of life in this dingy, grey old village. Ever since he had arrived that morning, he had spent the day outside of its rundown inn, observing the inhabitants as they went about their business. He had hardly expected it to be Felglenn with its apple orchards in bloom, and the smell of morning dew in the air. But neither had he expected the atmosphere of this place. The dense smell of manure, the hostility of the people, the collection of knights and mercenaries alike.

It was even worse than his half-brother’s letters had described.

Shia was still considering his options when the man barked, Are you still standing there? Do you plan to sell the damned thing, or do you plan to stand there and collect dust? Make up your mind and get out before I call the guards.”

“Ah, right. My apologies,”
Shia gave the man a winsome smile and considered his next words carefully. “I was just considering the fact that I might have taken up the wrong profession. Being an emissary for the crown, that is. Why, it seems like being a blacksmith in a town like this could potentially be a gold mine of wealth. Take my saddle, for instance.” Shia walked to where he had lain it on the counter and placed his hand upon it, fingers delicately rubbing the silver studs embedded on the horn. “In Tallis, the silver alone is worth in weight in gold. I’m certain I can fetch nearly twice what you offered me for the horn alone at any reputable smith.”

The smith’s movement ceased, and for a brief moment Shia was certain that he saw a jaundiced eye flick balefully in his direction from beneath matted grey curtains. But the red-headed lord was careful to keep his smile from wavering.

“Forty,” he went on, as if he had not noticed the pause. “I would say complete with the leather, straps, and bridle, all in excellent condition that this piece is worth about a hundred and twenty silvers at the least. Of course, I don’t expect to receive such a sum. Not with the item being a secondhand addition, and not being made by your own skill. But I would say that you intend to resell it for at least … ninety silvers. A hundred, maybe?”

“And just what’re you trying to imply?”
growled the smith turning back to his forge at last and reaching for his tongs. He lifted the dagger’s blade from the cool water and started measuring it against the hilt and crossguard. Even so, Shia had a feeling that the air was completely different between them now.

And that was something he did not plan to let go to waste.

“Absolutely nothing, Shia answered, turning away to face the door once more. “Just making note of a tidy profit. I am a stranger in these lands, but as an official emissary, I happen to know a few faces. In fact, I believe I have a meeting with the Lord of Medreen’s man right after I leave here. It might be worth something of note on how much profit this village must have if the blacksmith is making nearly double his wages off of his loyal patrons.”

It was only after, when Shia had almost made it to the door with the saddle in tow, that the blacksmith finally wheezed and placed his tongs down. A full ten seconds passed before Shia realized that the man was actually chuckling.

“Alright, alright,” he rasped. “If that’s the game we’re playing. Sixty. Sixty, and no more, ye damn swindler. And that's only to get ye outta my hair.”

Shia glanced over his shoulder. “Forgive me, but that is hardly enough."

“What?” The smith’s head snapped up. Now, you look ‘ere just a minute. If you think you’re going to get a better price in anywhere within a hundred leagues of this shop – ”

“What I mean to say,” Shia broke in over top of the smith’s irate tones, “is that I will take the forty coins you originally offered.” And for a few priceless seconds, he got to enjoy the smith’s gobsmacked expression. Of course, he could not afford to press the moment for long. He had kept up the persuasion for far longer than he had intended, and the hour was growing late. Far too late. If I tarry any longer, I’ll miss my opportunity to meet with this . . . man of Medreen’s.

All through the village he had seen the leaflets. The monster described in their contents was comical, absurd even. Or perhaps du Medreen had gotten more senile than the last time Shia had passed this way. ‘A large, and foul-smelling bird’, indeed. But even so, there was always a chance . . .

Taking a deep breath, he reached beneath his woolen, threadbare cloak to bring his sword into the light . . . or rather, what was left of it. The blade had been shorn clean in two, and its crossguard was battered and bent. Though the grip was strangely new, the black leather was stained through with old blood. He laid gently, almost reverently, on the table next to the saddle, then looked up and said, Forty gold. And you repair this.”

The blacksmith squinted dubiously, eyeing the metal for a heartbeat or two, then turned and spat into his forge. Eh, that’s not even worth fixing. Just get a new blade. You’ll be a lot better served, believe you me.”

“I like this one. It was made for my hand. And I’ll end up paying you. Consider the twenty as an upfront payment. And I’ll pay you again upon the job’s completion.”

. . .

As it turned out, the promise of further payment was all the old curmudgeon needed to hear. A short while later, Shia stooped back beneath the low-hanging doorstep and back out onto Medreen’s main street, his coin purse bulging with gold for the first time in nearly a week. And as such, his thoughts naturally drifted on how best to spend it.

A bow . . . or maybe an axe?

He hadn’t thought to ask at the shop, pushing his luck as he had, but the fact remained that without a weapon, he was defenseless. Vulnerable. And with Ryam slain, and Georg missing . . .

Troubled, he scarcely noticed that his footsteps lead him directly back down the hill and to the inn until he stumbled on something just before the stairs that lead inside. Shoes . . . A pair of dark, muddy, shit-covered shoes lay abandoned dead in the middle of the walkway complete with flies and all that accompanied them.

“Aw, damn it --- What in the . . . ?”

Frantically, Shia scrapped his own makeshift boots off on the stairs. Fortunately, his good traveling (and distinctly shit-free) pair had been left safe and sound in the confines of his room. After all, who in their right mind would think to steal a pair of boots?

He was still grumbling about the matter a few seconds later when he pushed through the doors of the inn just in time to spy the crowd gathered around a rather haughty-looking figure. Shia didn’t need to look at him long to know that this could only be Devon Schift, du Medreen’s right hand man.

“As such, we require two things before you receive your payment of 500 gold split between you,” Schift was droning between swigs of costly autumn ale. "Firstly, the foul pheasant must disposed of, with proof. Secondly, the idiots returned safe and sound."

Idiots? Shia tilted his head but didn’t hear much in the way of additional information before Schift was waving the crowd dismissively away.

The lean, red-haired lord leaned back against the door frame and chuckled wryly, letting his eyes drifted across the crowd.

And there certainly was a crowd.

“Five hundred gold split, huh? With proof . . .” he muttered under his breath, wholeheartedly amused. Skinflints, it appeared, never really did change their stripes.

But he had not come there questing for gold or for jewels like some common footpad. No, his thoughts now were on the monster itself and the vague mention of disappearances . . .

So engrossed was he on this matter, that he barely even heard a couple of voices talking right in front of him on their way outside until he heard one of them – a kindly looking young man with curling dark hair – mutter something about the farmers probably being lost. Shia might have spoken then but was saved an answer from the woman standing right next to the lad.

And her reply intrigued him.

No rooster, you say?” Shia inquired as he came to slip in behind them.
“And how can you know for certain. That this is all not some literal wild goose chase, I mean?”

Rusty of Shackleford Rusty of Shackleford
BELIAL. BELIAL.
BasiliskVeranda BasiliskVeranda
Archie Archie
@ Really every person within appropriate earshot range, I guess.

Last edited:
Ser Rickard
Most Definitely a Knight
Medreen Inn

1583845925253.png

Medreen…

The name conjured up some sort of alluring jewel of a city lying far to the east, a purveyor of silks and satins. Of a history stretching back to the very dawn of time. Of sunswept dunes surrounding the expanse of whitewashed stone houses, the smell of tea and spices heavy on the air, and the population of swarthy men and nubile women darting about its dusty streets. Rickard’s eyes flicked open, taking in Medreen as it stood before him, and as it had stood for the best part of a week that he had been here.

Yep.

Still a shit hole.

Sprawled out on one of the benches in the corner of the tavern with a cup of half drank, and what tasted like heavily watered down beer, Rickard watched the comings and goings with a vague modicum of interest. For a one horse town like this, there appeared to be more activity than you would have thought. Clearly work was sparse in the area, no one would willingly come here except in the pursuit of coin, just enough so they could move on again. It would have been far easier to simply stay in Adraste. Fairer climate, less mud, more people, and you could actually find the place on a map. But that gate was closed to him, to be added to the black list of towns, unless he wanted his head beaten in and his most private parts cleaved from him by a mob of fathers, brothers and sons. They were definitely getting more creative in their threats, long gone were the days when they simply cried ‘dishonour’ and tried to smash your brains in. Now there was talk of feeding parts of you to yourself, and the insertion of oh so many objects into oh so many orifices. Was more than enough to put one off their breakfast, and back on their horse out of town. That’s what had led him here, another step down in the hierarchy of towns, give it another few months and he’d be plying his trade in some hamlet in the frozen north.

He looked over his mug, catching the eye of the barmaid, her eyes wasn’t the only thing that had caught his attention mind you. He flashed across the expanse of the tavern, closely pursued by a wry grin. Obviously she blushed, some poor peasant girl getting the attention of a Knight, it conjured promises and thoughts of a life out of muck of Medreen, it helped that it was a rather roguish and good looking Hedge Knight, he thought to himself. No sense in displaying any false modesty, otherwise he himself would still be toiling in the mud just to scrape by to the next week. She had no idea though. He was as much a Knight as Medreen was the bustling cultural and culinary heart of the region. And that it most certainly was not.

He was interrupted from his musings by the arrival of the local Lord’s emissary, rather imperious looking bloke, clearly wasted here, with eyebrows and a goatee like that he should be serving some emperor or king somewhere, as opposed to some dusty lord in a crumbling Keep. However this is what he had been waiting for. A job. It certainly ticked all the boxes, peasants in danger, crops destroyed, large and foul smelling. Not that Rickard put much faith in the words of farmers, clearly a sentiment shared by this officious fellow. It could be something… unnatural, but at the same time it could just be a flock of crows some farmed pissed out of his brains thought he saw as one giant beastie. Combine that with him and a bunch of his mates traipsing out into the wild and getting themselves lost, killed, or just ran away in search of something better, and you found yourself with a great story on your hands. 500 gold was a decent amount to give away to solve the problem that may not actually be much of a problem. But you let a couple of peasants slip away, and you could be looking at a full on exodus. Having Lordship of an empty town isn’t really worth much. There was already a few figures making their way towards the door. It looked like that 500 wasn’t going to survive as a whole. Maybe end up at 50 to 60 a piece. Still better than a poke in the eye with a sharp stick. More than enough to cover the expenses he’d run up so far, deal with any work based expenses, and give him enough to move on to the next ‘civilised’ settlement. He downed the remains of his beer, wiping at his mouth with the sleeve of his shirt. He grabbed the scabbard that was propped up next to him, his hands wrapping around the rough leather that housed his most important tool. It wasn’t just a weapon it also tied into the illusion. Any man could wield a dagger, club or spear, but a well looked after sword, no matter how basic, was still mostly in the realm of the nobility and knights. Approaching the bar he slid the empty tankard towards the barmaid who had so grabbed his attention, her… ‘assets’ appeared just as extensive this close.

“Keep my seat warm and a flagon of ale waiting for me when I get back, one for yourself as well. Brighten your evening with a few tales of the latest beast to be dispatched at the end of my mighty…”

Rickard swallowed deeply as he saw the Landlord of the Inn, turning towards them. He was still some distance away, but he wouldn’t have to hear much to garner which way the conversation was heading. And whilst numerous wenches had been won over by his tales and unspoken promise of a better life, it rarely worked on fathers. Instead he settled for a waggle of his eyebrows as he swiftly turned and departed from the Inn. No mucking about until he’d claimed his money. No sense in doing a day’s work to be a ‘persona non grata’ when it came to collecting your wage. Outside a small band was already forming, made up of all manners of sex, shape, size and… colours. He frowned for a moment as the purple skinned gent caught his eye. An oddity that was for sure, but right now he could do without learning life stories. If old Purple got gobbled up by some beastie, he could do without the weight on his conscience when he collected his allocated portion of the gold, less known at this point the better. He grinned towards the light haired fellow.

“If I had a few more coins to rub together I’d take that bet. They probably finished off last year’s batch of Cider, or ate the wrong kind of mushrooms and ended chasing their own fantasies out into the wilderness. Turn up worse for wear in a few days with their tails behind their legs. Meanwhile we’ll cut the head off a bull and stick some feathers to it, presto one dead beast that never existed. Easiest money we’ve ever made,”

He leant back against the wall of the Tavern, looping the scabbard back through his belt loop now he was out of the cramped and confined interior of the inn. It was definitely a mismatch. A ‘fellow’ Knight, an assortment of Mercenary looking types, and… a mage perhaps? The woman didn’t look like the hardy fighting sort. He hoped she was a mage anyway, by the looks of her if things went south she wasn’t going to last long. He slapped his hand against the wiry looking Knight that was Ser Addam on the shoulder.

“Don’t you go worrying yourself Sir. I’m sure they’re probably wandering about having the time of their lives, a right little adventure.”

With his hand still clamped on Addam’s shoulder, he grinned over at the suspected Mage.

“Yep mundane is dead, long live the new and truly terrifying times we now find ourselves living in. But then again there have been scared peasants seeing devils and demons in their own shadows for generations, before everything started going to hell in a handcart. All I’m saying is I’ll believe they’ve been eaten by a twelve foot tall pigeon when I see said pigeon, not just its droppings,”

(With: Everyone outside
Interactions: Ser Addam Rusty of Shackleford Rusty of Shackleford , Valoria BELIAL. BELIAL. , Fletcher BasiliskVeranda BasiliskVeranda
Mentions: Alexi The Dark Wizard The Dark Wizard )

bb62db161de842e864b70a1d49232a4a.jpg

Interactions: BELIAL. BELIAL. RayPurchase RayPurchase Rusty of Shackleford Rusty of Shackleford
Mentions: The Dark Wizard The Dark Wizard
Arawn Gruffydd

Another shithole, another dawn, another day. In fairness, backwards country life had started to grow on him after hanging about villages for too long. Rough beer that tasted as if someone had pissed on the barley, prostitutes with webbed hands, feral children who had yet to realise their father was their uncle, and local mysteries pertaining to who had sodomised the sheep. Charming little hamlets of which Medreen was among in its stench and strange inhabitants.

Arawn had arrived the evening prior and drank his fill before finding a comfortable space in the loft of a local barn. Sleeping in a bed was an occasional luxury, especially if it wasn’t his. Being under the stars and stretched out across meadows was the ideal place for the mercenary to lay his weary head, it didn’t smell like shit out there.

It was a struggle getting to his feet when the sun reared its ugly head again, the sellsword making his escape with a hand cradling his throbbing skull. Down the muddy pathways that coated his beaten leather boots and into the bustling town centre. Or it should’ve been, but he wondered whether it had ever seen more than a group of bickering wives and disappointed husbands. Medicating his hangover with ale would be the first on his list, beyond talking more of contacts and gold. Fucking gold which seemed to rule his life, even though he had trouble holding onto it; slipping out his pockets in brothels and taverns like he had money to spare.

Into the rickety inn, the prized jewel in a desert and a shack in a field, he shouldered through the door and went about ordering a pint. Liquid breakfast he knocked back whilst glancing about, finding the old place busier than usual. Outsiders, including himself, had gathered to discuss the contract. Gold split between the merry band just like his old brothers in arms - but there was perhaps one too many adventurers to split it between. Coin was coin and anything would be welcome, but he wasn’t too pleased with the competition.
Devon looped his spiel which slurred a little more every time and the group appeared in agreement. At least, some of them did. The black-haired mage threw a glance his way, her short stature proving to diminish whatever threat he thought she might hold.

He wasn’t exactly the cleanest in the building, smears of unidentified filth darkening his already swarthy face, smelling of stale sweat and brewery with the added aroma of barnyard. Perhaps there was a good reason to glare, although he didn’t see why he should make the effort when most of his travels were alone. There wasn’t anyone to impress or coexist among out in the wilds or simple jobs that required one man and a blade.

Introductions were taking place, hands were shook, niceties - or something akin to them - expressed. Following them as they gathered outside, Arawn abandoned his tankard on a passing table and decided to make his presence known. It was jovial, pleasant, jokes being cracked and ultimately some would get on better than others. Although the addition of a purple-skinned…man? Well, that must’ve been taking the piss. The mercenary was half expecting him to cry out and proclaim a plague.

“What the fuck is that,” He muttered under his breath, tilting his head and achieving no better angle of the disease he spoke of. Even with the assurance it wasn’t contagious, Arawn wouldn’t be hanging around the bloke anytime soon.

Turning his sights elsewhere, he struck up a conversation with one of the groupings,
“Knowin’ this is the arse-end of such a civilised country I’d say we’re looking for a pile of bones. Wherever those farmers are, it sure as hell ain’t the mortal coil,” The sellsword interjected, looking between the dark-haired woman and her two, presumably knightly, accomplices. “Not that I’m tryin’ to bring the mood down but it never ends well, whether its large birds or wolves. Especially if that bird be a swan, can break a man's arm y'know.”

[class=biggie] width: 100%; margin: 0 auto; text-align: center; clear:both; font-size:13px; color: #1d1b15; font-weight:100; display:flex; flex-flow: row nowrap; height: 100%; [/class] [class=bigcenter] background: RGBA(16,19,20,0.91) ; text-align: left; margin: 0 auto; padding:10px; color:#eed9cd; font-weight:400; border: 5px solid #0b2427; word-spacing: 2px; letter-spacing: 1px; padding:20px; box-sizing: border-box; font-size:13px; width:90% [/class] [class=bigcenter2] text-align: center; padding:30px; margin: 0 auto; color:#eed9cd; max-width:900px; word-spacing: 2px; letter-spacing: 1px; box-sizing: border-box; font-size:13px; width:100%; clear: both; [/class] [class=left] padding:20px; color: #e2e8e5; box-sizing: border-box; width:30%; float: left; [/class] [class=right] padding: 20px; box-sizing: border-box; color: #e2e8e5; width: 65%; float: left; max-height: 700px; overflow: auto; margin-left: 10px; border-bottom:1px dotted #d68b5e; font-size: 14px; line-height: 22px; [/class] [class name=bg maxWidth="800px"] margin: 0 auto; padding: 10px[/class] [class name=bigcenter maxWidth="800px"] padding: 0px; margin: 0 auto; width:90%;[/class] [class name=bigcenter2 maxWidth="800px"] padding: 0px; margin: 0 auto; width:90%;[/class] [class name=left maxWidth="800px"]margin: 0 auto; padding: 20px; margin-top:20px; float: none; width: 90%; text-align: center;[/class] [class name=right maxWidth="800px"]margin: 0 auto; padding: 20px; margin-top:20px; max-height: 100%; float: none; width: 90%[/class]
[div class=biggie]
[div class=bg]
[div class=bigcenter]
Ehina Krause
"My name has been sullied, my rank stripped,
but I move forward knowing I'm on a righteous path."

[div class=left]
omDxM80.png

■ ■ ■
With: A bunch of Cutthroats & Do-gooders
Some Music:
Julia Holter - Words I Have
■ ■ ■

[/div][div class=right]
Almost all the people of this town were vile excuses for human beings. Defecation in the streets, people clearly stealing what they had from one another, drunk and disorderly behaviour before the night had settled in. Ehina tried to ignore it, rationalising it all as ill-informed, uneducated, isolated people from a backwards part of Seldona. It wasn’t right to compare them to the citizens of Lorwyn, where all were taught to read, to recite the scriptures and chants of the Seven and their children. These people were like lost lambs of the world just waiting until their time was over and they could return to the soil from once they came.

The one redeeming feature of this town was a man in a not too dissimilar position to herself. Cast from his home and left to rot. Unskilled in the sword, and in most other skills, he had found himself in Medreen. Those that had some scholarly knowledge, but were not too practical with their hands, often struggled in the new world. His door bore the insignia of Fortia, one of the Seven. He granted Ehina lodgings for the night with only stories, debate and reminiscing’s as payment. She was grateful to have found him, so she didn’t have to stay in the grotesque inn full of disorder and debauchery for a night.

The man was a copier back in Lorwyn, a skill that was not widely needed outside of the temples. He had the opportunity to read many religioius texts that even Ehina hadn’t had the chance to see. The curves and flicks of his writing, the penmanship he had as the quill moved across the paper, it was so graceful. His crime? He was too ashamed to say, and she did not want to know. He even had several old volumes of texts, which Ehina was very happy to see. She read some of her favourite passages, as did the man, before they both turned in for the night. The following day she wished him well and quietly left for her new bit of work.

Coin had started to run low over the last few weeks, and times were desperate. Her usual contact hadn’t been around to give her another dubious contract. He was probably held out somewhere after causing more trouble. Sticking his nose in places he shouldn't all for the hope of more money. Being a mercenary didn’t offer much work where one could stay on a righteous path, so it was best not to know too much about any job. If it sounded innocent enough then surely the problems lay with those that did the hiring, and not her. At least working for a lord, even one from a town as dirty as this one, meant it kept her hands clean, morally speaking.

She ended up at the inn that she had hoped to avoid. This was awkward. She didn’t drink alcohol and that meant the options were very limited. The people surrounding her were staring rather unabashedly. Her armour was in good condition, but standard issue for any member of the Alcuran Order. To them it must have been the quality of a high-ranking knight. And why would a knight, a female one no less, be sat in their bar?

“What’re you drinkin’?” the bartender asked slightly less phased than the rest of the peasantry.

“Do you have any clean water?” Ehina replied.

“Water, hah. We got water, yeah. Clean? It’s from the well and it ain’t killed any of us yet. So you want that or not?” the bartender asked with a more bitter tone this time.

“Sure,” Ehina said reluctantly. Anything to make her less conspicuous than she already felt.

When Devon finally arrived there were quite a few others that had decided to take the work aside from her. An okay pot of 500 gold, but split with this many people meant it was hardly worth the journey here. Except now she was desperate for the money, and didn’t have time to go hunting for a new contract. A rag tag group of either cutthroats or do-gooders, both made for bad companions. During Devon’s little speech she made note of the ones that liked to talk. They were often problems later down the road. Position themselves near the front of the pack now and then regret it later. By that point it would be too late them.

As the group stepped outside Ehina had a chance to measure her unwanted companions. A blonde man that made light of death, and a knight too naïve to know those words were likely true. A dark-haired girl with a sensible head, but a body that looked too frail for combat. A man that casually introduced himself as an executioner, after telling what she assumed were supposed to be jokes. A giant of a man no less.

The executioner was at least on to something with the purple skinned man though. What sort of ailment does that to someone? It felt like something that Vindemia, god of merriment and disorder, would cast on someone for fun. Being the plaything of a chaotic god was certainly something to avoid.

Another dark-haired woman but rougher around the edges. The way she spoke made her seem rather impetuous, but capable enough. A fully armoured man that was somehow taken in by the executioner’s terrible jokes, and another one that only had to speak two words before she knew he was of “higher” breed than the rest. In fact, his face was somewhat familiar. In her previous life she may have even known him. The amount of parties and balls she had to attend, even in her short thirteen years as a noble, meant she’d likely met half the highborn in the surrounding areas.

Another knight, or a merc? It was hard to say. He liked the sound of his own voice and was happy to suggest cheating the mission in order to get paid quicker. If pressed he would say it was in jest, but he’d more than happily go along with it if there was a good chance of it succeeding. Another merc, this time there was no doubting it. A bad smell and a face full of dirt. He made some of the residents of Medreen look well-kept by comparison.

“There’re purple men in this world,” Ehina said looking over to the being that had been cursed by the gods, “and the idea of a giant bird doesn’t require me to stretch my imagination much further. Whatever it is, it’s spooking these people. Let’s find it, along with the bones of those farmers. Kill it, get paid and get out of… Medreen.”

[/div]
[div class=bigcenter2]

"Thalassa, grant me a clear mind so I can ignore all distractions. Vronti, grant me the foresight to the truth layed out in front of me. Imber, watch over me and ensure that thy will be done through my actions."
[/div]
[/div]

[/div]
[/div]

[class=picture] position: relative; display: inline-block; [/class] [class=text] position: absolute; width: 100%; height: 100%; top: 0; left: 0; opacity: 0; background-color: rgba(0,0,0,0.2); color: white; z-index: 2; [/class] [class name=text state=hover] opacity: 1; [/class] [div class=picture] [div class=text]
"Connor Stone"
[/div]

Interactions: Everyone Everyone

Connor moved through the city of Medreen having been directed to the Inn, boots squelching in the mud that caked the path ways. Champ walked by his side tail wagging as he took in the sights and smells of this new environment, and boy did it smell. Medreen was similar to what Shimmervale used to be before it started to benefit from the commerce of the travelers and merchants traveling through on their way to Tallis. But Medreen hadn’t seen the same benefits and Connor wasn’t surprised at the blatant showboating of pickpockets that moved throughout the lifting coin pouches from those too busy bartering with the incompetent merchant to notice.

The bed of the Inn was far more comfortable than the bed roll he had been using in the wilderness, but his first night was spent cleaning the mud and grime off of his boots and off of Champs paws. Something that took more time than it should have. He scrapped some into a small vial, just enough that he could attempt to practice some nature based Magic’s with while board on his travels.

He spent another few days at the Inn, resting at first, but he completed a few contracts posted on the towns chanter's board, but following those few contracts he relaxed at the tavern, drinking ale and eating a couple warm meals, something both he and Champ were happy about, even if the food was mediocre at best, it beat the dry ration they had been surviving on.

On one of Connor’s self-proclaimed last days in Medreen, he had posted up in the corner of the Inn’s tavern, a tankard of ale in front of him, avoiding the random stares directed at Champ, who laid quietly under the table, head resting on crossed paws and eyes closed. Connor could tell he wasn’t asleep, but listening for the slightest sign of trouble. But it seemed that one after another there were people coming into the Tavern, drawn in by the countless postings about a job to take down some feral bird running around the forest. Something he was interested in taking down, he just recognized that he probably couldn’t do it on his own, but the more people that showed up, the less likely a good payday.

Connor listened to the man to explain the situation, connor was annoyed that he had lacked any substantial knowledge of the creature, just a general description, and a general location. It was a starting point, but there was nothing else. No hint as to how the creature acts, no indication of its sleeping habits, or eating habits. All of these people that had decided they were going to hunt it would be going in blind, with nothing but their own skills, and they were possibly marching off to their deaths with this creature.

Connor followed the group out of the Tavern, listening at first but not reacting to their conversation. He looked over the men and women that had gathered. Most of them seemed rather equipped for this job although there was one girl who he had interacted with a few times over the week he had been here. He didn’t know anything about her other then her name and Lori didn’t seem to have a single weapon on her, other than a large staff. He knew there were more capable mages around, that used a different and more diverse type of magic than the one he practiced and he assumed that was here. She seemed to be one of the shortest of the group, although they all liked small in comparison of the giant of a man that introduced himself as an executioner. He had to be at least a half foot taller than Connor, but still a rather imposing stature one Connor wouldn’t upset, unknowing of his deftness with his weapons.

“We're going to be finding more than just the bones of farmers that went after it. Word around town is that we won’t be the first group that set off in an attempt to slay the beast.” Connor spoke, making his presence known.

[/div]
codedbycrucialstar | hidden scrolls, hover over photo​

Last edited:

Valoria
Mood: Engaged in Conversation, no specific mood
Interactions: idalie idalie RayPurchase RayPurchase Whisker Whisker
With: Entire group
Mention: (everyone, to an extent)

Lori was beginning to surely regret tangling herself on this job. She hadn’t expected this many people, and the idea of a 500 gold reward was beginning to seem more and more impossible. If she was thinking that, there was no doubt the others were-- especially the shadier looking characters. It was not fear that gripped her heart, but annoyance. If one of these sell-swords really figured they could get the better of her with their meager, rusty poke-sticks they’d be wrong. Of course, that didn’t mean that Lori was any better at magic herself. Nothing scared mortal men more than the idea of a powerful, magically-enhanced woman with a penchant for grudges. Even if she didn’t turn any of them into toads, she’d very well scare them into believing so.

A handsome man, albeit just as cocky looking as the other pretty boys of the group, strolled up and clapped Addam on the shoulder. He gave an attempt to reassure the man that the farmers probably were alive, but missing. Lori knew better but screwed her lips shut for the moment.

“Yep mundane is dead, long live the new and truly terrifying times we now find ourselves living in. But then again there have been scared peasants seeing devils and demons in their own shadows for generations, before everything started going to hell in a handcart. All I’m saying is I’ll believe they’ve been eaten by a twelve foot tall pigeon when I see said pigeon, not just its droppings,”

In a more serious way, yes, nothing is as it were. But then again, when you’re someone like me, nothing has ever been anything less than the Black Water. As I just said to Addam, assume the worst before you tart around and lose a leg. Then be relieved when it’s not just a rooster.

“No rooster, you say? And how can you know for certain. That this is all not some literal wild goose chase, I mean?” Another handsome one, but in nicer clothing than the rest. No doubt someone with money behind him; Lori's bet was that he would be the first one to be stabbed in favor of an extra portion of the poor splitting.

Har har,” she jeered but couldn’t help but smirk at the pun. “I say I know because if it truly were a simple extermination, there wouldn’t need to be as many of us here. Devon, as foolish as he is, would have probably turned away more than half of the lot here. When we get more details, I’ll be able to come to some conjecture. If I’m wrong, then we’re out of there before sunset and back at the Inn before our beds get cold.” She shrugged, listening to a few of the other ones mingle and make their own conjectures and grumblings about the situation.

“Knowin’ this is the arse-end of such a civilised country I’d say we’re looking for a pile of bones. Wherever those farmers are, it sure as hell ain’t the mortal coil. Not that I’m tryin’ to bring the mood down but it never ends well, whether its large birds or wolves. Especially if that bird be a swan, can break a man's arm y'know.” The stinky one from the tavern, rugged in his grime and furs, interjected. Lori couldn’t help but guffaw at his last statement. Her eyebrow quirked and her lips twisted to a smile.

I assume you’re terribly afraid of these swans then? A hollow boned, long-necked water-fowl no doubt has you trembling. But don’t worry, you can hide behind me.” She snorted out another laugh, narrowing her eyes to tease the man. Her mother had brought a swan in once to dissect with Lori, which had the small girl trembling when she was only a child. Her mother said they’d use the parts in a soup, and the other parts for a poultice, but Lori had only been transfixed on the massacre she’d witnessed. It hardened her, at a young age, but she hadn’t been able to look a swan, or most small and harmless creatures, in the eye for a while. She had no pity to kill them, but a sliver of guilt often dragged its dagger through her heart.

She shook her head, clearing her mind. “Anyway, I digress. Either this is something, or it’s nothing. My gut says something, but it’s time we get a move on anyhow.

codedbycrucialstar

[class=biggie] width: 100%; margin: 0 auto; text-align: center; clear:both; font-size:13px; color: #1d1b15; font-weight:100; display:flex; flex-flow: row nowrap; height: 100%; [/class] [class=bigcenter] background: RGBA(16,19,20,0.91) ; text-align: left; margin: 0 auto; padding:10px; color:#eed9cd; font-weight:400; border: 5px solid #0b2427; word-spacing: 2px; letter-spacing: 1px; padding:20px; box-sizing: border-box; font-size:13px; width:90% [/class] [class=bigcenter2] text-align: center; padding:30px; margin: 0 auto; color:#eed9cd; max-width:900px; word-spacing: 2px; letter-spacing: 1px; box-sizing: border-box; font-size:13px; width:100%; clear: both; [/class] [class=left] padding:20px; color: #e2e8e5; box-sizing: border-box; width:30%; float: left; [/class] [class=right] padding: 20px; box-sizing: border-box; color: #e2e8e5; width: 65%; float: left; max-height: 700px; overflow: auto; margin-left: 10px; border-bottom:1px dotted #d68b5e; font-size: 14px; line-height: 22px; [/class] [class name=bg maxWidth="800px"] margin: 0 auto; padding: 10px[/class] [class name=bigcenter maxWidth="800px"] padding: 0px; margin: 0 auto; width:90%;[/class] [class name=bigcenter2 maxWidth="800px"] padding: 0px; margin: 0 auto; width:90%;[/class] [class name=left maxWidth="800px"]margin: 0 auto; padding: 20px; margin-top:20px; float: none; width: 90%; text-align: center;[/class] [class name=right maxWidth="800px"]margin: 0 auto; padding: 20px; margin-top:20px; max-height: 100%; float: none; width: 90%[/class]
[div class=biggie]
[div class=bg]
[div class=bigcenter]
Alrick Gottzmann
"What hope is there for man, when their greatest champions are no better than the monsters they hunt?"

[div class=left]
Alrick.jpg

■ ■ ■
With: Vagabonds, Degenerates and Fools
Mention: Everyone

■ ■ ■

[/div][div class=right]
"Come on Al, you're going to make us miss it!" A small, fiery voice called out above Alrick as he strode into town. Her desperation was made clear as she made a few surprisingly strong tugs on his hair, eliciting a pained chuckle from the man. In truth they weren't heading to much of an event, Medreen was by no means a bustling metropolis. To even allude to this would be an insult to any urban center. Yet it held a certain charm to it, not to larger from his own village. This meant fairs would be held every now and then, as smaller villages in the region would travel to Medreen to sell goods. And with these fairs came street performers. Granted, they were a far cry from the skilled entertainers of Aldheim that would swallow fire and put on elaborate plays.

For Elissa however it was a wonder to behold, having never left the Grove in near a decade. It was a safe existence, a peaceful one, but Elissa wanted to experience more of the world as most children her age are wont to do. Rather have her attempt sneaking out by herself and causing himself all manner of grief, Alrick decided to try and sate her thirsts preemptively. As he looked up at her, giggling upon his shoulders as she pushed raven locks away from her sapphire eyes, he felt he had made the right decision. Noticing his gaze, she gave him a forceful bop on the head to keep him focused. "I said faster, not slower you big dummy!"

"As you say m'lady." Rolling his eyes, Alrick being sprinting towards the village center, nearly bowling over a merchant carrying some rather fragile looking jars of jams. Expletives were called out after him but he didn't bother to slow down, the duo laughing as they darted between various villagers. "Haha, now this is better, onward valiant steed!" Soon enough they were there, a variety of colorful stalls setup all throughout the town center. While most wares were fairly mundane, there were a few noteworthy places. An old alchemist who was calling out to those around him, claiming his potions would restore even the oldest mans vitality drew a raised eyebrow from him. But these merchants were not the true reason he came. Wandering about were a handful of entertainers, eliciting an excited clap from Elissa. The girl deftly leaped off her rather tall transport, bolting towards the minstrels as they sang, twirling about as she danced to their tunes.

Alrick himself was content to sit back and watch as the girl reveled in this merriment. It wasn't often they got to enjoy moments like this, and she deserved it more than most. So much had been taken from her, so many wrongs committed against her. Yet somehow she still managed to smile, even when he himself saw little reason to. She was a spark of life, shining defiant in the darkness of this new world, and he would see to it that it wouldn't be put out. No matter what it took.

Eventually his eyes wandered elsewhere, his attention caught by a rather interesting ware. Wandering over, Alrick found a beautiful doll that had no right to be at such a sad excuse for a fair. With a bit of forceful haggling, Alrick was able to obtain the prize for a but a few coppers, just in time for Elissa to come tugging at this cloak. Her eyes widened as he turned, revealing the little beauty he held. As realization dawned on her, the girl threw herself at the towering man, hugging him with all the force her little body could muster. "You're the bestest ever Al! Thankyouthankyouthankyou!" Returning her hug, Alrick closed his eyes, savoring this moment for as long as he could.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Opening his eyes once more, Alrick found himself in a very different Medreen and far worse company. Where once the town held a rustic charm to it, it seemed to have decayed. A sickening rot seemed to hang in the air like a miasma. The dour mood was evident in all the peasants who drudged through the muck and shit that none cared to clean any longer. It took its time, but in the end nothing was outside the reach of the Black Waters. To bad you had to learn this the hard way you gods damned fool.

Shaking his head for a moment to clear his head, Alrick decided to check out his new compatriots.. In truth he had been rather lost in his thoughts as way typical, but right now he needed to focus. There was another job that needed to be done, another pointless task. Yet it provided the coin and experience he needed. Glancing down at the doll in his hands, a grim resolve sparkled in his eyes for but a moment before putting it away. Looking about himself, Alrick tried to get a better feel for those he would be working with. To be frank, it wasn't an encouraging exercise.

The 'smooth' talking blonde that hadn't shut up this entire time was quick to make jokes about the peasants they were to save. If he were to be honest Alrick fully expected them to be dead, but he didn't revel in it like him and the self styled executioner. A young lad by the name of Addam was quite bothered by this, insisting that the they could be saved. This wasn't much of an improvement, as this meant the boy was either a naive fool or able to bear the guise of one who actually gives a damn. Blatant assholes were far simpler to deal with in his opinion. There did seem to be one voice of reason surprisingly, a small, raven haired woman who tread the line between honesty and courtesy. At least he wasn't fully surrounded by incompetency.

Now that he had gotten a proper look at everyone, he was rather shocked to see just how many had been gathered to take care of this 'rather large, foul smelling bird.' It cemented the idea that this was no standard poultry at the very least. Hefting his hammer onto his shoulder, Alrick finally made his way to join the group proper. "It doesn't matter if the peasants are dead or alive. It doesn't matter if this 'bird' is a chick, a swan or gods know what else. What matters is we've been hired to do a job. So just listen to the lady here and lets get this done." It wasn't exactly the most charming of introductions but Alrick wasn't overly concerned with niceties at the moment. They had a job to do, and honor demanded it be done right, and it be done now.

[/div]
[div class=bigcenter2]

And yet, unworthy as I am, I must endure. I must fight until the dawn breaks this unending night, lest it swallow me whole.”
[/div]
[/div]

[/div]
[/div]
[/QUOTE]

[class=biggie] width: 100%; max-width:1200px; margin: 0 auto; text-align: center; clear:both; font-size:12px; color: #fff; font-weight:100; background: #000 [/class] [class=whut] background: #000;[/class] [class=handsomedevil] background: #262626; text-align: center; width:30%; margin: 0 auto; float:left; padding:10px; color: #140033; font-weight:100; [/class] [class=speakeasy] letter-spacing: 3px; word-spacing: 2px; border-bottom: solid 10px #47302e; text-align: center; font-size:14px; background: #262626; padding:30px; color: #fff; font-weight:100; [/class] [class=speaks] color: #fff; padding:15px; text-align: left; float:right; width:65%; background: #262626; font-size:14px; line-height:1.4; letter-spacing:1px;[/class] [class=tip]background-color: #47302e; padding: 10px; box-sizing: border-box; margin-left: 15px;[/class] [class name=handsomedevil maxWidth="800px"] margin: 0 auto; padding: 10px; width:100%; box-sizing: border-box[/class] [class name=whut maxWidth="800px"] margin: 0 auto; padding: 0px; width:97%; box-sizing: border-box[/class] [class name=biggie maxWidth="800px"] padding: 0px; margin: 0 auto; width:100%; box-sizing: border-box[/class] [class name=speaks maxWidth="800px"]margin: 0 auto; padding: 10px; width:100%; box-sizing: border-box[/class] [class name=speakeasy maxWidth="800px"]margin: 0 auto; padding: 10px; width:100%; box-sizing: border-box[/class]
[div class=whut]
[div class=biggie]
[div class=speakeasy]
”Com wif’ me if yous will,”[/div]

fc373b6ac42c19031a74ebb36cb85f09.jpg

[/div][div class=speaks]

NPC ENCOUNTER

Staggered footsteps, streaking across the dry dirt road, hauled its way to the Inn. A man, bruised in the face and covered in caked colours of brown and red, shambled his way to the group of adventurers outside. He was out of breath from running, and managed to keel over right in front of a svelte looking woman mothspit mothspit . Hardly the welcoming introduction, a thin line of vomit trickled from his mouth. He heaved and gasped, wiping his mouth with his sleeve and mumbling an apology to the woman.

Apologies missum… But… B-but… I come…,” another raspy breath from the man before he could suck in some air. His fingers fumbled at the button beneath his adam’s apple. “Are yous the lot hired to take care ov’ the bird problem?” He asked with that weezy voice, straightening to look between the assembly of capable looking people. Capable to him at least.

We’s… we’s um… Me brover was ov’ the las’ lot to head to-to find dam’d bird. He be one of the missin’ farmers and I… Listen, I com ‘ere to ask some ov’ you to come wif me… wheres they ‘eaded off. Is no pleasant walk in tha woods, no doubtit.” The man gave a pleading look, miserable and akin to a kicked puppy. He knitted his fingers together, bringing them to his chest.

Please. Is straight to the nest, we fink! Er… at least where we’s thought it were. But then me brover never returned… and neiver the other men,” he paused in thought to scratch his head. Back on track after a few mumblings, he resumed his pleading stance.

The mums’ll pay an extra ten gold each if the rest of the lot get the boys back. They lef’ they things at home, but the mums fink they was hiding something when they wen’ out. I sugges’ talkin’ to thems for the word.” He sucked at a tooth in his mouth and gave a weak smile to the group.

The man is very short, about five-five, and is in particularly ripped clothing, accentuated by the vulgar smells coming off of him. One would detect some rancid vomit, old blood, and body odour. He seems somewhat together, aside from the beating he got-- he won’t say who gave it to him. His name is Alfie Gibbons, and he's a pushover. He's a weak man, weaker in will, but he means the truth here. Other times, however? Perhaps that's for you all to figure out.

[/div]
[/div]
[div class=biggie]
[div class=speakeasy]“But I cannae promise ya won’t go runnin’”[/div][/div]

[/div]

[class=biggie] width: 100%; margin: 0 auto; text-align: center; clear:both; font-size:13px; color: #1d1b15; font-weight:100; display:flex; flex-flow: row nowrap; height: 100%; [/class] [class=bg]background-image: url(http://dndspeak.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/07/fantasy_forest_by_renanrdgs-d7wt6hq.jpg); background-repeat: no-repeat; background-size: cover; background-attachment: fixed; padding:30px; width: 100%; display:flex; flex-flow: row nowrap; height: 100%; [/class] [class=bigcenter] background: RGBA(16,19,20,0.91) ; text-align: left; margin: 0 auto; padding:10px; color:#eed9cd; font-weight:400; border: 5px solid #0b2427; word-spacing: 2px; letter-spacing: 1px; padding:20px; box-sizing: border-box; font-size:13px; width:90% [/class] [class=bigcenter2] text-align: center; padding:30px; margin: 0 auto; color:#eed9cd; max-width:900px; word-spacing: 2px; letter-spacing: 1px; box-sizing: border-box; font-size:13px; width:100%; clear: both; [/class] [class=left] padding:20px; color: #e2e8e5; box-sizing: border-box; width:30%; float: left; [/class] [class=right] padding: 20px; box-sizing: border-box; color: #e2e8e5; width: 65%; float: left; max-height: 600px; overflow: auto; margin-left: 10px; border-bottom:1px dotted #d68b5e; font-size: 14px; line-height: 22px; [/class] [class name=bg maxWidth="800px"] margin: 0 auto; padding: 10px[/class] [class name=bigcenter maxWidth="800px"] padding: 0px; margin: 0 auto; width:90%;[/class] [class name=bigcenter2 maxWidth="800px"] padding: 0px; margin: 0 auto; width:90%;[/class] [class name=left maxWidth="800px"]margin: 0 auto; padding: 20px; margin-top:20px; float: none; width: 90%; text-align: center;[/class] [class name=right maxWidth="800px"]margin: 0 auto; padding: 20px; margin-top:20px; max-height: 100%; float: none; width: 90%[/class]
[div class=biggie]
[div class=bg]
[div class=bigcenter]
Fletcher Niles Cambria
"What's the worst that could happen—I die? Been there, done that. Anyways, who wants to get drunk and do crimes?"

[div class=left]
green.jpg

⸸ ⸸ ⸸
Mentions: it's just....everyone. pls.. lool im too many tag
Mood Music: Lou Reed - Walk on the Wild Side
Misc: See crosses for 'What Team #1 Is Doing'. LOWKEY ignore everything before the crosses anyways~ sorry!
Quest:
[Path 1: To Boldly Go...]

⸸ ⸸ ⸸

[/div]
[div class=right]
(If you feel like reading reactions?)
"A pleasure to meet you...ser. I hope the farmers are alright... I've never heard of any bird that smells like excrement...is this why Hareth was here...?" Fletcher was not used to being called 'ser'. He was quite used to asshole, dickhead, fuckwhistle, pretty-boy, ponce, dandy, homewrecker—and sometimes by the most genial of people, pet or darling—but never quite 'ser'. The pale thief's smile quirked curiously, and he returned the sentiment with a gracious nod of the head.

"Fletcher. A pleasure, certainly, however...I doubt the farmers..."

"Please, don't be so rude. They most likely...lost their way. It's quite easy to get lost in the forest, especially once the sun sets. Mix that in with the bird...I pray they found somewhere safe."
"Rude?"
this made Fletcher snort. Devon was sending them on a "wild goose chase" after a bird that smelled like shit, and then after the several farmers who had just so happened to stumble after it? There was no way they were alive, if they hadn't wandered back already. Something sinister was afoot, and the blond disaster rightly thought the farmers had fallen into the thick of it—the thick of the shit, rather.

Me thinks your jesty comments and big words make you less inclined to have half a mind toward what this bird is,” the small, dark-haired woman said, puffing up her feathers.

Of course something strange is afoot. No rooster, that’s for sure. Dispel your mundane assumptions for the time being, alright?” Surely, she was feisty, and would seemingly be calling Fletcher out on his boisterous shenanigans for however long this escapade lasted. Sadly for Valoria, Fletcher only seemed to enjoy it.

"Methinks you should be less worried about what garbage I—the arse of our crew—am spouting, and more worried about the terms of your contract. Farmers brought back alive? Surely a jest; know any necromancy, Lori darling?" The ashen-haired fellow gave the short, staff-wielding woman a playful wink and wielded his arms to the sky to stretch.

Fletcher considered this play; it was playful. Banter, even being denigrated, was enjoyable. Especially being denigrated; for Fletcher did so enjoy being at the receiving end of a silver-sharp tongue, by way of devastating intellect. It was possibly his third favorite thing; trailing behind cats. The first was quite unmentionable.

"At least they were living when they fell into the ditch," remarked a quite-tall fellow. Fletcher grinned; this one understood, and this one would be amusing. He was already amusing; tall as a fucking tree as he was, and the blond nearly felt inclined to incline his chin up to view the tip of his head. Valoria would have a much harder time at this, he thought to himself, amused once more.

"I must admit, I do hope for our own entertainment that this whole thing is more than a.... fowl rumor. Otherwise, we may soon have to kill a man and feather him up to get our money." Fletcher's bright blue eyes flickered with delight, as if watching a copious offering of neglected jewels spread out before him. To say he enjoyed the wordplay was an understatement.

"Oh, that would be so dreadfully hawk-ward," he dramatized as rivers of smoke licked the sky from behind a sharp, mischievous grin, "wouldn't it?" The blond was the picture of mock concern, and soon broke out into a deep, short laugh that cast itself to the wind shortly after. Certainly, he could be considered callous to the loss of life from the various farmers who had traversed after this bird, pissed it shit up their lands.

But he could also make light of it; when the world is abysmally brutal, only the people who can laugh at tragedy ever survive it.

The pale thief smoked, singed himself, cursed, and resumed to fiddle with another ill-crafted abstraction of tobacco-absolution as he peppered forwards. This was an inconvenience. He really should've lifted something better than just papers and sulfur matches—

"Well, aren't you a capable bunch. We'll have this beast stuffed and mounted on a wall by sundown, aye?" A woman said, ashing out a pipe and snuffing said ashes with her boot. The desire the pipe drew forth glimmered in the corner of his eye, but then he followed its natural progression to the woman wielding it, and realized it was a game he could not win. Nor would he want to; though he might yet try, just to fail.

"Gwyndilin. It's a pleasure."
"I'm certain the pleasure is all mine, honestly," he noted very earnestly, turning his cinders over in his hands before flicking the lot to the soil below, "Fletcher," he managed to scrape his hands over his mismatched trousers—but was intercepted. A man named Kaykavus Nadir made a handshake instead, and introduced himself in turn.

Fletcher chuckled and resumed to scrounging his pockets for papers; he had no more. He pocketed the idea and would return to it later. Perhaps when they were all at varying states of discord, he'd attempt to capture the pipe. And he would fail, he would. She would not let him pilfer it.

Failure could be fun, if one was any good at it, but that took looking at failure through rose-colored spectacles. Fletcher's, luckily, were permanently affixed to his face.

“What the fuck is that,” a rather gruff man exclaimed. Fletcher instantly wrinkled his nose and sniffed the air. Then he ungracefully dipped his head near his armpit, as one did when assessing the situation, and then cocked his head back to where it had been before. This one...could potentially out-match the smelly bird, pungency yet to be determined.

"That seems to be a person, my pungent fellow...are you quite sure you're not the bird we seek?" Fletcher might have been serious, as his usual genial smile was paired with unusually narrowed, serious brows.

“Not that I’m tryin’ to bring the mood down but it never ends well, whether its large birds or wolves. Especially if that bird be a swan, can break a man's arm y'know.”

“There’re purple men in this world, and the idea of a giant bird doesn’t require me to stretch my imagination much further. Whatever it is, it’s spooking these people. Let’s find it, along with the bones of those farmers. Kill it, get paid and get out of… Medreen.”
This one had sense about her, and apparently, enough sense not to dabble in nonsense.

“We're going to be finding more than just the bones of farmers that went after it. Word around town is that we won’t be the first group that set off in an attempt to slay the beast.”

During this discourse, Fletcher found himself tipping his head back to get the last few drops of water from his leather water pouch, obnoxiously oblivious.

⸸ ⸸ ⸸

For Fletcher, this seemed an awful lot of time wasted talking about doing something, versus doing the thing. Inherently, this sparked in him a need to act; for action is at least mildly mentally stimulating, and standing around like a pretty, annoying bump on a log, was not. Head keened back like a petulant bird, he saw the creeping night above.

It seemed to look back.

"On that note," struck by an idea, he jagged right and was decidedly missing for all of Valoria's insistence on action, and the ensuing agreement from a rugged-looking fellow who probably could break the thief's neck just by looking at him at the right way.

He returned with a few torches—borrowed, as always. He had brought them in case the others needed some (how generous?)—and managed to light one after a bit of effort. Fletcher had also, somehow, brilliantly, bypassed the staggering, prattling citizen for the most part, only catching up on the conversation at its tail-end.

And yet, he was paying attention to nearly none of his warnings.

Squinting in the still-yet low light, Fletch looked over the map he had managed to snatch off of Devon's table earlier. It was quite suspicious that there even was a map, albeit a vague one. He held this out behind himself as if it were offensive, for anyone else to claim, hoping someone would decide to lead and he would then, perhaps, decide to follow. He wasn't a leader; he knew himself enough to know that much.

Please. Is straight to the nest, we fink! Er..."

But what he didn't know was why—if Medreen's authorities perhaps knew where the bird lived—not just snuff it out themselves? Why pay so much gold? Why take on so many mercenaries? There was still so much that didn't add up, still so much that didn't make sense—

—the mums fink they was hiding something when they wen’ out. I sugges’ talkin’ to thems for the word—"

—what also didn't make sense was the appearance of a loose-leaf paper falling from the sky, one that made a straight bee-line for his eye-socket, as if preordained on that particular course of action. Fletcher snatched it out of his face and glared at the offending paper.

"Agh! What in the ten circles of Zaeria is this shit?" he asked, briefly glancing over the paper before turning it over a few times to not actually inspect. With a deep sigh, the thief plucked the page and held it behind himself as if allergic to it. Someone else could glimmer over the details.

"I sugges’ talkin’ to thems for the word." Finally caught-up to the conversation, he replayed the man's words as best he could and read the expressions around him. Seemed he wanted them to go with him, and yet again, delay action, yet again, by going on a different adventure. That was positively the most cumbersome, boring, drole—

"Actually, that's a very intelligent idea. Why not have one half of us go..." the pale-haired man wafted his fingers in the air in the general direction of the haggardly truth-sayer, "do...whatever it is...he just suggested...and the other half of us scout the area?"

"Certainly, we must be knowledgeable about the theories of our fowl foe but what—pray tell—would we do if this pungent peacock were to be free-range, roaming, and about to strike some poor, poor nocturnal numpty?" Queue theatrics.

"There must of course be a vanguard, there must be scouts? Correct?" Fletcher was not at all planning on fighting their feathery enemy. Nor was he planning on being a scout. But, he was betting on the fact that if the group split up, the people to fell whatever it was would be the ones to reap the reward.

"Unless every single one of you fine, strapping adventurers is too big of a chicken-shit to hunt and scout for a big shit-chicken..." he said facetiously, twirling his torch a bit. A lyrical, deep laugh pitched from his chest. He was only half-kidding; he couldn't quite say how many here would be brave enough to embark now that the disheveled man had offered them the respite of information-gathering.

Fletcher was a man of chaos, that of which those that picked his path would soon shortly discover. But chaos could be a bit irreverently enjoyable, or dangerously rewarding, couldn't it?

⸸ ⸸ ⸸
[/div]
[div class=bigcenter2]

"Hmm...I could help you, yes. But I could also just watch you suffer. That'd be far more amusing—what do you mean you'll get me a cat if I help?! Why the ten circles of Zaeria didn't you say that sooner?!"
[/div]
[/div]

[/div]
[/div]

Last edited:
[div class=whut]
[div class=biggie]
[div class=speakeasy]
𝕿𝖞𝖇𝖆𝖑𝖙 𝖂𝖞𝖓𝖓 𝖁𝖊𝖗𝖎𝖙𝖆𝖘 [/div]

65c0897941ad8e2736e13a9c808cb71a.jpg

[/div][div class=speaks]

All About Harpies
Quest #1: A Rather Large, Foul Smelling Bird

Dearest companions,
My time to write this is short, as you are already well on your way towards the path destiny has laid out for you. The best I am able to do in my current state is provide you with information, and I shall do just that for all the evils I have wrought upon the earth.

Please note that you shall find a harpy; something of a woman mixed with a bird. She will be large, feral, and accompanied by others. One must strike her down from the air before she can be defeated.

I pray for your safety, and that you are able to overcome the trials and tribulations ahead of you.

Sincerely,

𝕿𝖞𝖇𝖆𝖑𝖙

[/div]
[/div]
[div class=biggie]
[div class=speakeasy]Is Often Wrong[/div][/div]

[/div]

1.jpg No sooner had Gwyn exchanged pleasantries with the armored fellow, her initial interaction with the blonde-- Fletcher-- intercepted, had he began entertaining his own hubris with the quips of their party. Just as well, for as she was noting a man of impossible skin and a myriad of handsome faces increasing their numbers (as well as a stench something akin to barrel of dead fish) had a man collapsed at her feet. While it wasn't the first time such a thing had occurred, what set this encounter apart was a distinct omission of any romantic proclamation, and the equally as fowl contents of the mans stomach pooling at her feet. Not realizing this initially, a hand curls around the hilt of a dagger, protruding from it's appropriate thigh holster, though she is only prevented from drawing it when he utters his feeble apology. Gwyn forces a sigh of relief through her nostrils, having mistaken his downtrodden appearance for some kind of animal, or a rather bold thief. Surely, that wouldn't have been the best first impression; Accidentally killing a man, that is. ..Wouldn't be the first time for that, either.

"Saints keep you-- Don't rush toward a woman what carries a knife. I might have just ran you through." She chuckled anxiously, looking to her side hoping to gauge someone else's reaction, but the eccentric blonde had slipped away somewhere.. The strange man's statements about the bird and its whereabouts doing little to steel her-- Especially considering the absolute state of his well being. Looked as though he had crawled through the circles themselves, and his battered, bloody face was a sight Gwyn could have gone without. But this was the job, and in the interest of having a hot meal tonight, the job would be finished, one way or another. In the midst of her thoughts, Gwyndilin's eyes trail downward, finally noticing there the bile at her feet, staining the leather skin of her boots. She instinctively recoils, the plains and sharp angles of her face scrunching with disgust, as she takes a good step backward, and begins begrudgingly wiping her feet in the dirt, "Ah, for fuh-- Oye, they're not expensive, but they're all I got, yannow.." She grumbles, only slightly exasperated by this whole state of affairs..

Though they had little rapport just now, she and the others listening to his pleas had little cause to doubt him-- Unless, he had a passion for theater. Unlikely, to say the least. Still, Gwyn shared a wary, contemplative glance with the immediate crowd. Tempting as it was to track the beastie on their own, there was no telling how deep into the brush they'd go, lest they lose their way. On these grounds alone, Gwyn was inclined to accept his proposal, but her expression noticeably shifted-- becoming something slightly more enthusiastic-- when there was the promise of additional coin.. Think of the venison, Gwyndilin. Or a sweetroll. Oh, the lords I would offend for a sweetroll...

..Provided the men be returned. Gwyn's lips came together to form a thoughtful pout, listening attentively. That certainly could be a problem, couldn't it? Unless this unfortunate mother cared naught the status of their mortal coil, and rather wished to fill a barren grave. It sounded like the consensus among their morally questionable associates was that the farmers had since perished, and Gwyn would be lying to herself if she didn't consider that a strong possibility, too. If this man had returned on his own, but not the ones before him, that left few options, none of which are preferable. And truthfully, she wasn't one for delivering news of... that particular nature. Gwyn was far better suited for the nitty-gritty, not the heartfelt part of the job.

Just as he was finishing up his call to action, something flickered into Gwyn's field of view-- a paper, manifesting from.. somewhere.. and floating through the sky. It tumbled and glided gracefully... flying directly into Fletcher's eye. She followed it's path as it did so, stifling a laugh as he cursed it and held it from him as if it had the sickness. When he had returned, she hadn't noticed, but now he carried with him a map and, as the suns grace began to wane, a torch. A map was certainly useful, and while the flamboyant man prattled on to himself, seemingly for himself, it was clear he had no intentions of leading their efforts. And while Gwyn had experience in that area, it brought about a feeling she cared not to relive. A shudder ran down her spine at the thought. But that note, on the other hand...

"Well if you're not going to read the blasted thing, give it here." She chirped pointedly, snatching the paper from his hand with a stern pout upon her lips. Her head turned away from him as she did so, bringing it closely to her face with a curious raise of her brow. She read it once, twice, three times... and her heart sank as the word 'harpy' called her eye again and again. They were right from the start, this was no ordinary bird. This was no ordinary mission. Gwyn had heard what the sickness can do, what it's brought forth.. but never imagined she might fall prey to it's spawn. She wasn't a religious woman, but something deep down-- A hollow, uneasy feeling deep in her gullet-- told her it was time to get superstitious. Suddenly, a flurry of possible deaths played out in her mind, one after the other, a compilation of mutilated corpses and exposed sinews.

Somewhere behind her, the faint echoes of Fletcher's voice was reaching her ears, but he was drowned out by a rush of blood to them as her dark eyes flicked over one part of the note-- Accompanied by others.

Lovely.

"...Unless every single one of you fine, strapping adventurers is too big of a chicken-shit to hunt and scout for a big shit-chicken?"

Finally, Gwyn came back to present day, her head whipping around as Fletcher uttered his last syllable. She looked slightly shaken, but somewhere deep down she found her resolve, figuring if death lay ahead, it wouldn't be anything she didn't deserve. And, for all intensive purposes, threatening her ego was a great motivator. She marches toward Fletcher with decisive intent, reaching out and slapping the note onto the center of his chest with the palm of her hand.

Through furrowed brow and gritted teeth, she sneers, "Nobody. Calls me. Chicken-shit."

With that, she sets off past him, getting no more than a few paces ahead before she turns again, arms crossed, awaiting those that would follow her.

mentions: (TEAM 1 BAYBEE) Interactions: OPEN

[class=biggie] width: 100%; max-width:1200px; margin: 0 auto; text-align: center; clear:both; font-size:12px; color: #fff; font-weight:100; background: #000 [/class] [class=whut] background: #000;[/class] [class=handsomedevil] background: #262626; text-align: left; width:32%; float:left; color: #fff; font-weight:100; [/class] [class=speakeasy] letter-spacing: 3px; word-spacing: 2px; border-bottom: solid 10px #47302e; font-size:14px; background: #262626; padding:10px; box-sizing: border-box; color: #fff; font-weight:100; [/class] [class=speaks] color: #fff; padding:15px; text-align: left; float:right; width:65%; background: #262626; font-size:14px; line-height:1.4; letter-spacing:1px; padding:20px; box-sizing: border-box[/class] [class=tip]background-color: #47302e; padding: 10px; box-sizing: border-box; margin-left: 15px;[/class] [class name=tip maxWidth="800px"] margin: 0 auto; padding: 10px; width:100%; box-sizing: border-box[/class] [class name=handsomedevil maxWidth="800px"] margin: 0 auto; padding: 10px; width:100%; box-sizing: border-box[/class] [class name=whut maxWidth="800px"] margin: 0 auto; padding: 0px; width:97%; box-sizing: border-box[/class] [class name=biggie maxWidth="800px"] padding: 0px; margin: 0 auto; width:100%; box-sizing: border-box[/class] [class name=speaks maxWidth="800px"]margin: 0 auto; padding: 10px; width:100%; box-sizing: border-box[/class] [class name=speakeasy maxWidth="800px"]margin: 0 auto; padding: 10px; width:100%; box-sizing: border-box;[/class]
[div class=whut]
[div class=biggie]
[div class=speakeasy]
Baldur Kloss[/div]

[/div][div class=speaks]

Medreen's Bar/Inn

"You are a funny man" the dangerous looking fellow named Kaykavaus told Baldur. A man of culture, thought Baldur. Soon, the blonde fellow delivered a followup to his quip which was almost as fitting as following a rack treatment with breaking on the wheel.

"That would be hawk-ward" the rogue commented. "wouldn't it?"

At that point, Baldur burst out laughing and took a step towards the man, slapping him on the back with such force that it could have been confused for a shove. There were two men of culture in this group.

It would soon become clear that they were a rare commodity. Most of this group was so boring, dreary, and negative. Some of the warriors seemed to be hardened, one with many scars, the other with an eye that was plain white. Was this what adventuring really did to a man? No. Baldur decided. These fellows had simply let negativity get to them, they were simply scared. He did not understand exactly what they did not grasp, but he was sure that they did not grasp something to be so afraid.

"I'm purple because I'm a purple man" the unique looking fellow who Baldur had introduced himself to replied. Baldur admired the simplicity in the explanation. Not the inquisitive type himself, it perfectly satisfied him.

"I kid, I have a rare skin condition that tints my skin you see, but fret not, it is not contagious." the purpleman added, implying that he had some kind of disease like dysentary.

"Condition?" Baldur asked. "I don't think it looks so bad" the executioner added with disarming sincerity.

As they talked, the debate about just what they were hunting continued, which Baldur believed had reached ludicrous lengths because the only way to find out was to go and see. He was especially interested in what the white-eyed man had to say. Perhaps because of his wound, or perhaps because of his beard, he appeared the toughest of the group and surely had seen worse before.

“Not that I’m tryin’ to bring the mood down but it never ends well, whether its large birds or wolves. Especially if that bird be a swan, can break a man's arm y'know.” the man commented, something that shocked Baldur. Could such an experienced adventurer have such a bleak outlook? It was as if he was not even aware of his own mortality - with all those bodily wounds, there was no way this man was living long. In Baldur's experience, survivors of torture tended to have ten years at most until they creaked over, and his father, with far more extensive experience, put it at seven. Battle, he imagined, was just as devastating.

"A broken arm? That's not so bad!" he continued. There was no chance to complete that thought, as the small woman chimed in.

“I assume you’re terribly afraid of these swans then? A hollow boned, long-necked water-fowl no doubt has you trembling. But don’t worry, you can hide behind me.”

Baldur smirked. This woman had some guts challenging such a large man. Maybe she was dangerous after all, but Baldur had no idea how someone so small could be much threat.

"You're too small" Baldur said. As usual, he was so direct and outspoken it was offensive. "You'd make a horrible human shield. I'm sorry, you'll have to earn your cut some other way"

A slight man, only five foot five, interrupted the group's discussion. He was bruised all over, in tattered rags, and had an unkempt beard, keeling over in front of the confident woman who introduced herself as Gwyndolyn earlier. He started pleading with her to come with him, saying he knew where the nest was. This excited Baldur, and he grinned knowing that the fight was soon to come. It did not take long for him to realize who this man was.

"Alfie!?" he asked, stepping towards him. Coming from the same town, Baldur had seen this man many times as he and his father quartered men in public. He was much braver in a crowd, cheering on a man's torture. It puzzled Baldur as to why this man seemed so shaken by a few bruises when he was able to watch a man get cut into four pieces, screaming, with almost orgasmic pleasure.

"You look worse than usual!" Baldur exclaimed, slapping the man on the back, again with so much force he may as well have been hitting him. The man was pleading for the sons of local mothers to be brought back alive, which puzzled Baldur. Alfie, like most bored townspeople, was a frequent fan of Baldur's father. If those boys were in the stockade, he'd be loudly crying for them to be publicly castrated and their intestines to be pulled out for all the village children to see. Why, then, was he so worried about them simply because a bird had caught them and not the local bailiff? When he suggested that the moms would be willing to pay for the boys' return, Baldur couldn't resist laughing.

"That's a good one, no." Baldur said, turning the group and grinning while shaking his head.

"Those hags are so poor they'd have to sell their sons into slavery to pay for them" he said. Peasants often made a show of their poverty, pleading with the bailiff that they couldn't afford an increase in taxes. Having never experienced their lifestyle, it did not occur to Baldur that they might be lying.

"And we'd get a better price if we just sold them ourselves" he joked, smirking at his own bleak quip, before he stopped to think - that wasn't such a bad idea.

The blonde spoke out again, offering an excellent idea, which he topped off with another amusing joke.

"This man gets it!" Baldur exclaimed, raising his hand to slap Fletcher on the back again, but he was too far away.

"But don't be demeaning. Some among our group might simply want to talk to the hags to get more information, to come up with a more strategic approach, ja?" Baldur suggested, his father's accent bleeding into his speech. He might have raised some eyebrows, because this was a completely diffferent side to the giant. His entire personality radiated directness, brute force, and here he was advocating strategy?

Moreover, Baldur wasn't even being sincere. He was used to pitching himself to lords, dealing with their confusing negotiating tactics, and undermining other executioners in subtle ways. Baldur knew how to get paid more than he should, and knew exactly what needed to be done. There were too many people in this group for Baldur to get his pay. While he enjoyed adventure, Baldur was used to the comfortable lifestyle of an executioner's son, where killing a defenseless man was rewarded with a small fortune. 500 coins split 10 ways? That would not do. Either he would have to organize half this group to murder the other half in their sleep, which would damage his professional reputation, or they would voluntarily split off. His group would take heavy casualties - he would make sure of it, and they would not need to split the prize many ways. If this bird-woman did prove to be too much of a match, the worst that could happen is death, and in Baldur's mind, that was just part of the process.

"I don't see why we're wasting time scouting, though. Old Alfie here knows where the nest is. We should just go right to it and attack, and if she's not there, I'll stand out in the open to lure her out" he said, suggesting an even more brazen and stupid idea than Fletcher had. His goal was simple, to convey to everyone except the most confident (and in his mind, useful) members of the group that travelling with Fletcher and him would be a giant risk.

While this was happening, the bold woman named Gwyndolyn marched over to Fletcher with decisive intent, slapping something on his chest and seething in a way that would have terrified the toughest interrogation victim.

"Nobody. Calls me. Chicken-shit." she declared.

"This woman gets it!" Baldur exclaimed.

Interactions:
BasiliskVeranda BasiliskVeranda , BELIAL. BELIAL. , mothspit mothspit , idalie idalie The Dark Wizard The Dark Wizard
[/div]
[/div]
[div class=biggie]
[div class=speakeasy]
"That's not so bad!"
[/div][/div]
[/div]

Last edited:
[div class=whut]
[div class=biggie]
[div class=speakeasy]
Kaykavus Nadir[/div]

OYcgSsv.jpg

[/div][div class=speaks]

'Hawk-ward.' Kaykavus bellows a laugh, turning his head to the others and pointing a finger to the rogue,
"Hawk-ward, yes?" Few of the others laugh, and he waves them off dismissively. So up-tight, so stoic. There is an amount of comfort in knowing he would be working with professionals, But certainly some can afford a wider sense of humours! He repeats his dismissive gesture, and turns his attention to the two amateur comedians,
"Clearly some of us are better dead for the sake of pay. Still, hopefully you two will be there to make the walk back more entertaining." Indeed, it would be good if some of the party did not make it back. It is surely on their minds, at least some of them, and he sees no reason to hide that it is on his. He chuckles to himself, shifting his attention to the sounds of stumbling footsteps.

His attention shifts in perfect timing - Perfect timing, that is, to witness the vomit mistakenly directed towards Gwyndillin splattering onto his plated boots as well. He looks down, silently, then turns his head to stare at the offender,
"Drunkards often go mis-" his words are cut short as the woman, far more patient than he, provides a far gentler warning than he had in mind.
"Saints keep you-- Don't rush toward a woman what carries a knife. I might have just ran you through." She seems to look to her side to gauge the other's reactions - Kaykavus merely shrugs, his form of agreement. The man mentions coin, and the rogue gives his take of the situation soon after. The idea is simple - Split up, one team goes straight for the nest, and the other wastes time in town. Kaykavus has enough shady years behind him to know what game the blonde is playing at, and as a bonus the ones he's become acquainted to are eager to follow him.
"I have my bow, you have your swords. I also know a good way to cook bird at camp - a way to fill ourselves after we finish our battle with pigeons."

Kaykavus steps towards Fletcher, taking the map, and the note,
"I will lead. Just remember - It is a bird, and swords are not thrown far. You need me against this..." he opens the note, reading as he speaks - His head slowly tilts in a moment of apparent confusion, "against this... Harpey? Harpee?" He stares for a few moments, before holding the note out for someone else to read, "Strange bird. Still, do not think I am your 'point of spear' just because I lead the way. I have seen your people aim, it... I think you say 'it can not hit the barn.'" In truth, Kaykavus is no marksman himself, but there is no reason to downplay his necessity; cut-throats are not rare in mercenary work. Kaykavus hands the note off, or slaps it back into Fletcher's chest, so he may inspect the map with the light of the blonde's torch. The executioner suggests the drunk man, though Nadir's internal retort is to simply remember the flecks of his inebriated vomit. "Bad map, but good enough."

[/div]
[/div]
[div class=biggie]
[div class=speakeasy]"The price stays."[/div][/div]

[/div]

Archie Archie mothspit mothspit BasiliskVeranda BasiliskVeranda Everyone Everyone else

Last edited:
[class=biggie] width: 100%; margin: 0 auto; text-align: center; clear:both; font-size:13px; color: #1d1b15; font-weight:100; display:flex; flex-flow: row nowrap; height: 100%; [/class] [class=bg]background-image: url(http://dndspeak.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/07/fantasy_forest_by_renanrdgs-d7wt6hq.jpg); background-repeat: no-repeat; background-size: cover; background-attachment: fixed; padding:30px; width: 100%; display:flex; flex-flow: row nowrap; height: 100%; [/class] [class=bigcenter] background: RGBA(11,11,12,0.9) ; text-align: left; margin: 0 auto; padding:10px; color:#eed9cd; font-weight:400; border: 5px solid #361316; word-spacing: 2px; letter-spacing: 1px; padding:20px; box-sizing: border-box; font-size:13px; width:90% [/class] [class=bigcenter2] text-align: center; padding:30px; margin: 0 auto; color:#eed9cd; max-width:900px; word-spacing: 2px; letter-spacing: 1px; box-sizing: border-box; font-size:13px; width:100%; clear: both; [/class] [class=left] padding:20px; color: #e2e8e5; box-sizing: border-box; width:30%; float: left; [/class] [class=right] padding: 20px; box-sizing: border-box; color: #e2e8e5; width: 65%; float: left; max-height: 700px; overflow: auto; margin-left: 10px; border-bottom:1px dotted #d68b5e; font-size: 14px; line-height: 22px; [/class] [class name=bg maxWidth="800px"] margin: 0 auto; padding: 10px[/class] [class name=bigcenter maxWidth="800px"] padding: 0px; margin: 0 auto; width:90%;[/class] [class name=bigcenter2 maxWidth="800px"] padding: 0px; margin: 0 auto; width:90%;[/class] [class name=left maxWidth="800px"]margin: 0 auto; padding: 20px; margin-top:20px; float: none; width: 90%; text-align: center;[/class] [class name=right maxWidth="800px"]margin: 0 auto; padding: 20px; margin-top:20px; max-height: 100%; float: none; width: 90%[/class]
[div class=biggie]
[div class=bg]
[div class=bigcenter]
Fletcher Niles Cambria

[div class=left]
e913710f6015223e585107954c676f4e-1.jpg

⸸ ⸸ ⸸
With: mothspit mothspit The Gunrunner The Gunrunner Archie Archie , rest of Group #1 yeeeeee
Mood Music: Yeah Yeah Yeah's - Y Control

Quest:f
[Path 1: To Boldly Go...]

⸸ ⸸ ⸸

[/div][div class=right] The fairly intimidating—to those who lacked the good taste to enjoy being put in their place—pipe-wielding, somewhat vaguely swashbuckling young woman known as Gwyn seemed visibly shaken by whatever words had been scrawled on this piece of conveniently-placed paper. When before, she had tipped her hand at a scrap of her true person with a laugh at Fletcher nearly being blinded by the thing. Then, like a funnel of wind changes course, his antics had caused her to explode and strut forward to claim the lead.

Many layers existed here, and he was starting to wonder if perhaps this adventure would not be so dreadful and pedestrian, but possibly wonderful.

All he could do with "Nobody. Calls me. Chicken-shit." was to chuckle behind his hand, preening at getting a reaction. For Fletcher had wanted one. Surely, someone would want to defend their own ego, and for her to be the one was a glimmer in the fairly benign/serious landscape of their surrounding entourage. This one, he could get to, and he would furthermore fail in his ministrations of pilfering her pipe, and that was a recipe for living a life less ordinary.

For this, Fletcher considered his antics brilliant. There was fun to be had with someone who could provide an opposite, but equal reaction. Any reaction at all was preferable, honestly.

Aside from that pun-wielding, wordplay giant who had slapped his back earlier at his equally ridiculous theatrics, and Kaykavus who agreed with the dryness of the rest of the flock, he was unsure the others had it in them. That was yet to be determined. But there was a slight tip of the macabre here as Baldur announced he had known this wayward man as 'Alfie'. Fletch hadn't quite missed this interaction, as the resounding back-slap was that of a bare tree being flogged with a giant's open palm. Executioner. He had picked up that word with the errant conversations, hadn't he?

Loss of life was not so much of a terrible thing to Baldur, but perhaps treated as the peasants treated it: amusement. Or, perhaps this was all a farce, an act of the person to make shadow puppets on the wall about who they were beyond the tree-tallness, and wordplayness, and all other assortments of 'ness' Baldur embodied.

Something about the concept of being irreverent in death prodded the back of Fletcher's mind. Some vague idea stuck its sticky fingers in the back of his psyche, and twirled around a bit like a performer. A quizzical quirk of a grin marked the passing of this odd sensation. What a curious feeling.

"This man gets it!" Half prepared for another back-slap, the blond was decidedly too far away. But he would surely grow to enjoy these moments, he felt.
"But don't be demeaning. Some among our group might simply want to talk to the hags to get more information, to come up with a more strategic approach, ja?" With this, Fletcher frowned and placed his free hand on his hip.
"'Demeaning' is a matter of perspective," he said, casting an amused glance towards where Gwyn had shuffled off to, "I'd consider it 'motivating'. And you just branded our potential informants 'hags'!" Fletcher ceased his mock-indignation and popped off another chuckle before finally looking over the paper Gwyn had planted right on his chest with a firm hand. When his bright blue eyes scoured the page, finally taking it in, his feline brow arched.

Harpies were mythical things, the stuff of fairy tales and the ominous wailings of old women. He could scarcely believe this was a truth; how convenient for it to drop from the sky. And who, exactly, was Tybalt—a myriad of scenes burned their way through his skull, and Fletcher found himself relatively confused. With the paper in his hand, and his eyes cast to the moving pictures of his mind for far too many minutes, the thief saw several terrible somethings that didn't quite make sense.

Out of order, rearranged, various images obscured in black, and then, nothing. Obfuscated of whatever this name conjured up, Fletcher decided it didn't matter enough to think on. Or rather, that it possibly did matter a great deal, but if he were barred from it no amount of squinting would do. Furthermore, if he were to be obscured of it, there was good reason.

"I don't see why we're wasting time scouting, though. Old Alfie here knows where the nest is. We should just go right to it and attack, and if she's not there, I'll stand out in the open to lure her out"
"That's..." it would be quite foolish. Fletcher knew that much, as his focus once again turned to the paper. There could be more than one, it told him. Tybalt told him. Somewhere in his bones, he felt this letter was written in earnest. But somewhere else in his bones, he felt it was not quite accurate, and couldn't say exactly why.

"This woman gets it!"
"Yes, I suppose she does."
Kaykavus approached and plucked the map and note from his person. Fletcher surveyed the amusement-capable man with a curious look.
"I will lead. Just remember - It is a bird, and swords are not thrown far. You need me against this..." What an interesting way to phrase a statement, Fletcher thought. Already attempting to solidify himself worthy of...coin. That seemed the motivation, for why else would someone fling themselves into the group that would surely be rife with chaos, if not for either stupidity or currency? This one was clearly not stupid.

"against this... Harpey? Harpee? Strange bird. Still, do not think I am your 'point of spear' just because I lead the way. I have seen your people aim, it... I think you say 'it can not hit the barn." Fletcher turned up his brows and cast a bemused look.

"Yes, I'm sure I—personally—can't aim quite as fluently as I blather on," he offered, then twisted to look upon the others, "...are we truly—altogether—so bad at long-range feats? Huh." Certainly, he was not the one to fell this creature. But, perhaps, he was the one to make off with whatever trinkets it provided—if any.

"Here," offered the blond, taking the note to pocket it, as he lit an errant torch with his own. He passed the tool to Kayvakus, allowing him to see the map better with a gentle flame.
"Bad map, but good enough."
"It does, indeed, look like the scrawlings of a child. But I am confidant we'll make it work,"
the pale thief said earnestly. They'd find their way to treasure, or at least to shenanigans Fletcher would no-doubt drag them on. 'Them' being whoever stalked after Gwyn, or trailed behind Kayvakus.

"Well, if you'd like to 'lead the way', my good fellow, you might want to out-pace the impressive woman who is clearly not a chicken shit." He offered with the tip of his free hand. To the others, he cast a mischievous grin.

"Come now, don't dawdle. Pick your poison," Fletcher said before trailing after the vague direction she had plodded.

His walk was a buoyant one, of graceful gait and twist of the foot, enjoying movement. Every now and then, he'd wield to walk backwards to see who followed, and twist forward once more. Life was far too precarious to be dredging around like an anchor across the ocean of earth.

One had to find amusement where they could, even if it was foolish.

"Gwyn. Gwyn—do you even know where you're going? Kay has the map," he called after her, his voice lifting over the dead air, "and please don't think for a moment I consider you a 'chicken shit'. I'm not that stupid. I'd merely prefer to incite action than sit around listening to people plan about planning." Fletcher said, matter-of-factly.

"That's terribly boring, wouldn't you say?" he said behind a smile and ducked head, finally managing to catch up with her. Here, Fletcher looked for another reaction. He either expected her to lash him with her tongue, side-eye his antics, or produce a smile. He hoped for the latter but assumed the prior.

He could only ever hope for a smile, and although he could incite one, he never stole them. Amusement was a gift, one he'd readily bestow, if people were capable of taking it.

They had but to try.

[/div]
[div class=bigcenter2]

[/div]
[/div]

[/div]
[/div]

[div class=whut]
[div class=biggie]
[div class=speakeasy]
Baldur Kloss[/div]

[/div][div class=speaks]

The Forest

It was mere moments before the blonde thief relented to the request of the Kaykavaus Nadir fellow to be their guide. Considering scouting to be a secondary duty, Baldur wasglad not to be bored with it as he readied himself for the main confrontation. He had heard of harpies from the bard's tales, and knew they were real for that reason. They were large, huge. He recalled his father's martial art, from a country that even he could not pronounce. If Harpies were tall, and had dangerous claws, it was probably a stupid proposition to wait, like a batter, beneath them and swing as they passed over while trying to evade at the same time. If their claws were the problem, then perhaps getting them into a standing rear naked choke was the only way to negate them. But how would that be possible without the chance to drag one of the harpy's arms, if it even had arms and not just wings? Not to mention that the beast, when swooping down, would only strike with its claws and was huge - Baldur would need to "climb it" from the waist up, while its wings were flapping.

Baldur was deep in thought, as evidenced by his unusual silence. To help himself think and to get the feel of the weapon, he drew his father's Zweihander - much bigger than his usual curved longsword - and started twirling it in a figure 8 slashing motion. Generally, someone more than six feet and three inches tall could swing such a big sword with a single hand, but even Baldur found the twirling motion - a particularly taxing exercise - to be hard. He was trying to get a feel for the weight of the blade and its timing, several steps behind the group to avoid hitting anyone. The movement was obnoxious, the fast swings of a giant sword generating an annoying whoosh whoosh whoosh whoosh noise through the air as Baldur scowled and schemed the demise of his unknown foe.

It took a few minutes for Baldur to stop, rejoining the rest of the party. He had still not figured out a way to literally put a harpy in a headlock, but did have another idea.

"We should all agree on what to do when we've killed the harpy" he suggested.

"We should take its head to Devon as soon as possible and inform him that the other group abandoned the mission, so we each get 125 coins" Baldur added.

"The harpy's corpse must be burned so that the other group isn't able to slice off a piece for themselves. Meanwhile, one of us should take the boys to the river and hold them in a boat, if they are still alive. The other three will rendezvous at the boat, and we will go downriver to sell the boys into slavery. We must divide the spoils from both income sources evenly between us" he suggested coldly, as if he were a builder explaining a schematic for his new steeple.

"We must then skip town, as the other group may attack us. If we are divided, they will win. So, I would like us all to make a vow that we will not murder eachother in our sleep until we are safely out of the Duchy"

As he spoke, it became painfully obvious that he considered the harpy to be no threat at all, even though he had not yet worked out a plan to defeat it. Baldur recalled the Chanson du Ravage, about a knight named Le Ravage, who had struck down two harpies using only a longsword. If Le Ravage could slay two with a longsword, surely he with a Zweihander and three companions could kill just one. His reasoning was entirely dependent on the Chanson du Ravage being true, but of course it was. Anyone who said otherwise was just an ignorant, jaded serf who had never travelled outside his village.

Interactions:
BasiliskVeranda BasiliskVeranda , BELIAL. BELIAL. , mothspit mothspit , idalie idalie ... Group 1
[/div]
[/div]
[div class=biggie]
[div class=speakeasy]
"That's not so bad!"
[/div][/div]
[/div]

[div class=biggie]
[div class=bg]
[div class=bigcenter]
Ehina Krause
"My name has been sullied, my rank stripped,
but I move forward knowing I'm on a righteous path."

[div class=left]
omDxM80.png

■ ■ ■
With: Hopefully the less stupid members of the Group
Some Music:
Squirrel Flower - Not Your Prey
■ ■ ■

[/div][div class=right]
The rabble all but ignored Ehina’s words, but between the, shall we say, more sensible members of the group the sentiment seemed somewhat in line with her own. No matter what the threat was, big or small, it had put the people of this town into a state of fear. It made sense to hire a group of mercs to sort it out. If they died then it wasn’t really a loss to the town. If they were to slay the beast, whatever the form may be, then it put the town at ease, at least for a short while. Unfortunately, the Black Waters would forever be a creeping omen of ill in the back of their minds.

Money had become another necessity to worry about after Ehina left the order. In the temple provisions were provided and there were lodgings for all those devoted to the cause. The treasurers of the temples dealt with all the financial issues, and money was of no concern. Everyone outside of that world was obsessed, and now even Ehina had fallen for it. To get by one must possess the funds needed in order to do so. It had become a replacement for the gods in most people’s hearts. She needed it to survive and put a roof over her head at night. And so, like all the tainted figures that around her now had most likely done, she factored in the 500 gold offered against the numbers. She had also considered that the leader of this disgusting town wouldn’t deliver on his promise to pay them. Usually she’d ask for proof of payment. Either receiving half at the beginning of the job or have some kind of intermediary holding onto the funds in the meantime. That wasn’t likely here. Too many variables. Too many people doing there own thing.

Suddenly a small man ran over to the group looking dishevelled, and he vomited close to the pirate looking lady. This town was truly an embarrassment. Ehina leaned back against a wall, folded her arms and watched as the illogical chaos that followed. The older gentleman that had joined them was spouting nonsense. From what she could gather he had a rough idea on the bird’s location and knew the fate of the farmers, which sounded quite dire. The blonde man decided to pipe up again in what seemed like a way to rally the troops. A leader he did not make, but in many ways he spoke like one. The pirate lady fell for it easy enough, reacting to his mild insult and marching towards the forest to become one of the vanguards that her new leader had suggested.

Next to follow suit was the giant executioner. The way he spoke was tactless and somewhat intriguing. He was like a mirror reflecting the truth of so much of the corrupt cesspool of society were almost always thinking, but too afraid to say out loud. He seemed to know the older man, so he was local? Or at least spent enough time in the town to know several of them. At yet he suggested selling any of the survivors into slavery. That lack of interest in his fellow humans made him dangerous to have around. There was some sense in the potential profits over trusting the squalor mothers to pay up, but so many other implications to consider.

The uniquely accented man did bring up a very valid point that she’d not really thought about though. How does one deal with a flying creature once up in the air. Ehina had nothing but her sword and shield as weapons, and she was not at all skilled with any long-range weapons. Only two of their party had bows, the one that smugly brought up the issue showing his value to the party, and another with a pet dog. The rest were in a similar position to her, unless the smaller dark-haired girl was truly a witch. A witch able to conjure magic, a likely outcast of society. It was easy to see how someone like that ended up in this predicament.

What had been strange was the sudden appearance of a letter however, floating down from the sky as if appearing from thin air. The way in which those that read it reacted piqued Ehina’s interest, but before she had a chance to read through it herself the so-called vanguard had rushed into the forest in search of the, newly named, harpy creature. Ehina had heard of human/animal hybrids before. A manifestation from black magic being performed by those cast out of society. She did not know that they had been granted names, like types of animal. To her they were all nothing but abominations against all that was good in Seldona. Or what little good was left in the tainted world. Harpies, creatures that needed to be eradicated, as simple as that.

With the ‘act now, think later’, members of the group prancing off into the forest, without even an attempt at getting some sort of consensus, Ehina stepped forward. The people that remained were likely sounder of mind, wanted to think things through a little more before acting. Theoretically there was no need to rush, but with as many loud and obnoxious minds as there were just a moment ago, they probably wouldn’t have gotten very far if they continued talking.

“Thanks to this small smelly man,” she began, looking over at ‘vomit face’ as she’d now dubbed him in her mind, “and a strange letter falling from the sky, we’ve just entered into a horrible balancing act. Like most of you, I imagine, I need that money, even if it’s a measly sum when split between this many people. The few that just rushed off into the forest, impulsive, reckless, without consideration, they’re the type of people that are almost certainly not going to share the pot if they succeed. But without a plan they could just as easily walk into the same trap as this man’s brother and the other farmers. Get themselves killed. Gathering more information could, in fact, help us defeat this harpy if we’re willing to risk taking our time.”

[/div]
[div class=bigcenter2]

"Thalassa, grant me a clear mind so I can ignore all distractions. Vronti, grant me the foresight to the truth layed out in front of me. Imber, watch over me and ensure that thy will be done through my actions."
[/div]
[/div]

[/div]
[/div]

Shia Foxcourt

“Har har,” the woman quipped, but Shia swore he saw the ghost of a smile playing about her thin lips. “I say I know because if it truly were a simple extermination, there wouldn’t need to be as many of us here. Devon, as foolish as he is, would have probably turned away more than half of the lot here. When we get more details, I’ll be able to come to some conjecture. If I’m wrong, then we’re out of there before sunset and back at the Inn before our beds get cold.”

“Oh, of that I have no doubt at all, miss,” Shia drawled, his eyes drifting over their party, which had swelled to nearly a score by this point. “But I think you place too high a certainty in our friend, Ser Schift. Why, if it were truly a matter of importance to town security, why not a quiet word or two with his guards? Or at least managing an attempt at sobriety when delivering his contract?”

Though he rather doubted she was listening now. The party had since condensed outside of the inn, and where once had been four, there now stood nearly a dozen hearty adventurers, armed to the teeth and talking loudly about what their next move should be. While no one addressed him directly about any of it, Shia found himself engrossed by the noise. When was the last time he had heard such a sound? Nearly a year ago, it had to be. When he left the court of Tallis, surrounded by a hearty band, laughing and jesting as they rode through the gates.

And now they were gone. Gone or missing. He would find out which, in time. But for now, there were more important matters on his mind, such as the fact that he alone among the group stood conspicuously unarmed. With no one in particular to excuse himself from, Shia pushed through the crowd and started off down the side street to rectify the situation.

Later, when he returned, it was with a pike slung jauntily over his right shoulder, and a small knapsack clutched in his left. By that time, the groups had already begun to splinter into smaller, more manageable fragments, and he just so happened to walk into – or rather catch the tail-end of a rapidly passing group in time to catch some of their conversation.

“ . . . if they are still alive. The other three will rendezvous at the boat, and we will go downriver to sell the boys into slavery. We must divide the spoils from both income sources evenly between us.”

Shia’s brow nearly somersaulted to his hairline. What in the name of . . . ? The oath jumped to his lips, but the speaker, an absurdly tall fellow carrying a Zweihander about the size of horse cart, wasn’t quite finished.

“We must then skip town, as the other group may attack us. If we are divided, they will win. So, I would like us all to make a vow that we will not murder each other in our sleep until we are safely out of the Duchy."

“A droll plan, ser,”
Shia Foxcourt drawled tartly, announcing his presence to the group for the first time. “Except the part where some of us are likely unwilling to be potentially chained, hanged, and turned into pig manure over three half-dead farmers and a measly hundred or so coin profit. Ah, and have you forgotten that we need the farmers as part of the deal for payment? And, of course . . . ” - his gaze flicked sideward here to gauge the group for allies and support –
“if Schift decides the letter was followed enough to pay up at all.”

Direct Mentions: BELIAL. BELIAL. Archie Archie

Included: BasiliskVeranda BasiliskVeranda Keidivh Keidivh KingHalliwell KingHalliwell mothspit mothspit The Gunrunner The Gunrunner (Clearly the superior team)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back