• If your recruitment thread involves completely going off site with your partner(s) then it belongs in the Off-Site Ad Area.
  • This area of the site is governed by the official Recruitment rules. Whether you are looking for players or looking for a roleplay, we recommend you read them and familiarize your self with them. Read the Recruitment Rules Here.

Odyssey of the Dragonlords (Closed)

Roleplay Type(s)
dd1oTWw.png

Odyssey of the Dragonlords

At the dawn of time, war between gods and titans left the landscape of Thylea forever changed. Thousands of years later, the first mortals arrived, carried by ship and dragon.

The Dragonlords were the champions who overthrew the Titans 500 years ago and forged the Oath of Peace. But the power of the Oath has waned, and now the Titans seek vengeance.

You are one of the heroes called by prophecy to end the conflict once and for all. Poets will sing of your deeds for centuries to come... If you survive.

Created by the lead designer of the early BioWare games, Odyssey of the Dragonlords is a Greek-inspired campaign for D&D 5e. Players will become their own Epic Heroes in a custom world with a unique pantheon. They can choose an Epic Path to customize their character's arc, and in addition to that, they may take advantage of OotD's unique races and subclasses, or stick to the official D&D material.

First-time players and veterans alike may join. Familiarity with Greek mythology is not required. The campaign is pretty linear but sometimes allows freedom on the order in which goals are completed. It takes characters all the way up to level 15-16.

Thylea World Primer

The free player's guide has the complete information on the setting, as well as on the optional subclasses and races unique to the campaign. For those who want a quick summary first, see the primer I posted here on RPN.

That Social Contract

Obey the laws of this fair realm, known as RP Nation, lest ye incur the wrath of Sydon.

By joining, you swear the Oath of Kindness. Stirring OOC drama or showing toxic behaviors will see you cursed in a way Thylea has never seen.

The group is LGBTQ friendly.

Understand the difference between IC and OOC, and also player and character.

Avoid metagaming.

Be able to spell and wield grammar well enough that people can understand you. Be comfortable writing at least a couple of paragraphs per response.

The expected posting rate is discussed in the next section.

Characters may disagree and conflict, but they must be able to cooperate with each other for them to remain in the game.

Party splitting will be allowed. Just keep in mind that it can have consequences!

Any post formats are welcome as long as they are mobile-friendly and the text is legible. If there is an issue, I'll poke you.

Write in third-person, please!

Gameplay Guidelines

Some of this may change as we play! We'll discover what works for us and what doesn't and adapt accordingly.

Rolls & Maps
We will use Roll20 for encounter maps. If accepted, you will need to create an account if you don't have one already.

I'd prefer rolls be made on Roll20 or in RPN so that there are fewer apps to check. Players who use D&D Beyond to host their character sheets can install the browser extension Beyond20, which sends dice rolls to Roll20 from the sheet. (Note, though, that D&D Beyond does not have Odyssey of the Dragonlords content, so if you prefer to use material from the module, that might not be the best platform.)

How Posting Will Work
The roleplay will be conducted in ten-day rounds. This means that I, as the DM, will make a post, and all players will have at most ten days to respond. Within reason, which player posts when doesn't matter so much. Player A may post first one round, and Player B may post first the next.

The sooner all players respond, the sooner the next DM post may happen.

If a player fails to reply within that time, that's okay! They will just be skipped and the next DM post will happen. The intent is to keep things moving, and the player can simply pick up from the most recent DM post. However, being skipped three times in a row may be grounds for being removed from the game.

If a player knows they lack the time or creative energy to post before the two weeks are up, they can summarize to the group what their character does and we can account for it accordingly. It's also okay to ask to be skipped or make a short post if you feel there isn't much your character can do/provide within a given round.

Leveling
Players will start at level 1.

We'll be using milestones.

Players may roll for their increased HP, and if the result is lower than the static increase, they may take the static one instead.

Combat
Initiative is just going to be the order in which people post within a ten-day round.

If a player is silent through the allotted time, their character will take the Dodge action.

Drinking or administering any potion is a bonus action.

Instead of two dice rolls, critical damage will instead be one dice roll plus the max damage of the weapon/spell. Initially, this will not apply to enemies.

I will make the enemy's AC and HP public. Feel free to write in your character's hit/kill/miss once you've rolled for your attack. I can roll an enemy's saving throw for a spell before you post if you'd like.

Joining

I am seeking 4-6 players.

I encourage reading the player's guide. It has some cool subclasses and races. It also details Epic Paths, which players are encouraged to take.

Please PM the character pitch to me. I feel more comfortable with that process than reviewing character concepts publicly. The code is below, but read the rest of this first, yeah?

Races are limited to those in the player's guide and the core D&D races. Refer to the player's guide or the lore page linked above to get an idea on how the core races fit within the world.

I won't allow doubling on classes. You may request to reserve a class. The Drakewarden subclass will probably be a no, but I'm open to being persuaded. Subclasses revolving around extraplanar things also won't really be a good fit.

You may request to reserve an Epic Path. I might allow doubling on the Demi-God and Lost One paths. If you want to take either of those paths, please let me know if you're comfortable sharing the path.

It's not necessary to select an Epic Path, but it will give your character an additional goal and make the journey feel more personal to them.

The adventure hook is that the characters are the heroes who have been called by the Oracle's prophecy to save the world from the tyranny of the Titans. More immediately, however, their journey begins with a summons to the Heartlands, to a humble rural inn east of Estoria called The Sour Vintage. They each have reasons for answering the call, but rumors of their coming have already spread across the land. They might have already committed deeds or misdeeds that have given them a small reputation, or they might be relatively anonymous.

Starting an actual character sheet is not encouraged at this stage, but feel free to look at the next session if you'd like to factor that into your concept decision making.

No lone wolves. I feel as though evil alignments won't work for this campaign so well, but I'm open to hearing ideas.

Feel free to include an image or a written description of your character if you'd like, but it's optional at this stage.

Code:
[b]Name:[/b]
[b]Race:[/b]
[b]Class & Planned Subclass:[/b]
[b]Epic Path:[/b]
[b]Summary:[/b] What's their background like? Personality? The summary doesn't have to be long. Try to highlight noteworthy details.

Character Creation

Players who have been approved can start this process. I'm happy to answer questions or help those who might be new to D&D.

No homebrew or Unearthed Arcana.

I have the Player's Handbook, Xanathar's Guide, and Tasha's Cauldron on both Roll20 and D&D Beyond. On Roll20, I have the Odyssey content. On D&D Beyond, I also have the Sword Coast Adventurer's Guide. Content from any other module will need to be added to sheets manually unless the player owns the content on their preferred character sheet platform.

Ability Scores
We'll be using the standard array. Assign each score to an attribute:

15 (+2), 14 (+2), 13 (+1), 12 (+1), 10 (+0), 8 (-1)

Race
Racial bonuses can be modified using Tasha's rules, detailed below. Just be sure to mention to me what you're changing!

Any ability score increase granted by the race can be applied to a different ability. If the race has more than one score increase, they must still be applied to separate abilities. For example, a half-orc's default score increases are +2 Strength and +1 Constitution. You can switch the +2 to Dexterity and the +1 to Wisdom, but you cannot make a +3 Dexterity.

Most races have at least one language they speak in addition to Common. You may swap out those languages for others.

You may also swap out proficiencies like so based on type:

Skill for a different skill
Armor for a simple/martial weapon or a tool
Simple weapon for a different simple weapon or a tool
Martial weapon for a simple/martial weapon or a tool
Tool for a tool or a simple weapon

Other
Establish at least 2 personality traits, 1 flaw, 1 bond, and 1 ideal.

If you decide to make a sheet inside RPN, you may omit information from the backstory 'cause secrets, but please PM me the unredacted version.

It's exciting to read a character's backstory, but please try to keep it to a reasonable length.

If you decide to create the character sheet within RPN, below is possible code. Other formats are cool as long as they are mobile-friendly and their font is legible.

Code:
[center][img width="300px"][/img]

[size=6]Character Name[/size]
[size=4]Race | Class LV1 | Alignment[/size][/center]

[tabs]
[tab=Stats]
[B]HP:[/B] current/max | [B]Hit Dice:[/B] xdx | [B]AC:[/B] x
[B]Size:[/B] x | [B]Speed[/B]: x | [B]Vision:[/B] x
[B]Proficiency bonus:[/B] +2 | [B]Passive Perception:[/B] x

[B]Ability Scores[/B]
[table=none]
[tr]
[th]Strength[/th] [th]Dexterity[/th] [th]Constitution[/th] [th]Intelligence[/th] [th]Wisdom[/th] [th]Charisma[/th]
[/tr]
[tr]
[td]x (+/-x)[/td] [td]x (+/-x)[/td] [td]x (+/-x)[/td] [td]x (+/-x)[/td] [td]x (+/-x)[/td] [td]x (+/-x)[/td]
[/tr]
[/table]

[B]Saving Throws[/B]
[table=none]
[tr]
[td][B]Strength:[/B] +/-x[/td]
[td][B]Dexterity:[/B] +/-x[/td]
[td][B]Constitution:[/B] +/-x[/td]
[td][B]Intelligence:[/B] +/-x[/td]
[td][B]Wisdom:[/B] +/-x[/td]
[td][B]Charisma:[/B] +/-x[/td]
[/tr]
[/table]

[B]Skills[/B]
[table=none]
[tr]
[td][B]Acrobatics:[/B] +/-x[/td]
[td][B]Animal Handling:[/B] +/-x[/td]
[td][B]Arcana:[/B] +/-x[/td]
[/tr]
[tr]
[td][B]Athletics:[/B] +/-x[/td]
[td][B]Deception:[/B] +/-x[/td]
[td][B]History:[/B] +/-x[/td]
[/tr]
[tr]
[td][B]Insight:[/B] +/-x[/td]
[td][B]Intimidation:[/B] +/-x[/td]
[td][B]Investigation:[/B] +/-x[/td]
[/tr]
[tr]
[td][B]Medicine:[/B] +/-x[/td]
[td][B]Nature:[/B] +/-x[/td]
[td][B]Perception:[/B] +/-x[/td]
[/tr]
[tr]
[td][B]Performance:[/B] +/-x[/td]
[td][B]Persuasion:[/B] +/-x[/td]
[td][B]Religion:[/B] +/-x[/td]
[/tr]
[tr]
[td][B]Sleight of Hand:[/B] +/-x[/td]
[td][B]Stealth:[/B] +/-x[/td]
[td][B]Survival:[/B] +/-x[/td]
[/tr]
[/table]

[B]Weapon Proficiencies:[/B] x
[B]Armor Proficiencies:[/B] x
[B]Tool Proficiencies:[/B] x
[B]Languages:[/B] x

[/tab]
[tab=Special Abilities]
[B]Racial Features[/B]
x

[B]Class Features[/B]
x

[B]Background Features[/B]
x

[B]Feats[/B]
x

[/tab]
[tab=Weapons & Armor]
[row]
[column=span2][B]Weapon[/B]

Name here[/column]
[column=span2][B]Attack Bonus[/B]

+x[/column]
[column=span2][B]Damage/Type[/B]

xdx type[/column]
[column=span2][B]Properties[/B]

x[/column]
[/row]
[row]
[column=span2][B]Weapon[/B]

Name here[/column]
[column=span2][B]Attack Bonus[/B]

+x[/column]
[column=span2][B]Damage/Type[/B]

xdx type[/column]
[column=span2][B]Properties[/B]

x[/column]
[/row]

[row]
[column=span2][B]Armor[/B]

Name here[/column]
[column=span1][B]AC[/B]

x[/column]
[column=span2][B]Penalties[/B]

x[/column]
[/row]

[/tab]
[tab=Inventory]
[B]Money[/B]
CP: 0 | SP: 0 | EP: 0 | GP: 0| PP: 0

[B]Equipment[/B]
[row]
[column=span2][B]Name[/B][/column]
[column=span2][B]Quantity[/B][/column]
[column=span4][B]Description[/B][/column]
[/row]
[row]
[column=span2]x[/column]
[column=span2]x[/column]
[column=span4]description or link to description[/column]
[/row]

[/tab]
[tab=Spells]
[B]Spellcasting Ability:[/B] x
[B]Spell Save DC:[/B] x
[B]Spell Attack Modifier:[/B] +x

[B]Cantrips[/B]
[i]Name[/i]
School of magic | Casting Time: x | Range: x | Duration: x | Components: x
Description

[B]Level 1[/B]
Spell Slots: x/x

[i]Name[/i]
School of magic | Casting Time: x | Range: x | Duration: x | Components: x
Description

[/tab]
[tab=Background]
[B]Age:[/B] x
[B]Height:[/B] x
[B]Weight:[/B] x

[B]Appearance[/B]
x

[B]Personality Traits[/B]
x

[B]Ideals[/B]
x

[B]Bonds[/B]
x

[B]Flaws[/B]
x

[B]Background[/B]
x

[B]Backstory[/B]
x

[B]Additional Info[/B]
x

[/tab]
[/tabs]

Current Character Concept :

Name: Lumi

Race: Siren

Class & Planned Subclass: Bard/College of Epic Poetry

Epic Path: The Gifted One

Summary:

She wishes to break free from the futile and monotonous misery of her family/people by creating a Poem poignant and grand enough to earn her enough prestige, wealth, and followers to create a legacy for herself that will truly give her existence meaning in the grand scheme of things. She intends to use her place in the Prophecy as an opportunity to finally create this Poem and to cement her legacy before any hacks and second hand witnesses can have their take on the story.

Beyond this more selfish motive, however, Lumi truly believes that poems and works of art in general are gifts to all folk and are great ways to unite people and bring them together in common brotherhood and happiness.

Sorry for the silence. There was a death in my family earlier this week, and, well, RPN isn't the first place I think of when I think of comfort. xD

Unfortunately, you two have been the only ones to show interest after a week of the thread being up. It's clear that there isn't much interest in this to create a party that is likely to have chemistry.

Good luck with your other endeavors!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back