Other October 2021 Writing Contest

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chordling

Bardbarian, the Divine Chordia of Concordia
October 2021 Writing ContestContest Duration
October 1st - October 31st @ 11:59 pm EST
Theme: Fall/Halloween

All writing entries must be submitted to this thread. Writing submissions must be no longer than 7,500 words and must be viewable as a single thread post. Please do not link to other document types, including Google Docs, PDFs, MicroSoft Word, etc. Links from other formats other than will not be accepted. Entries that exceed more than one thread post will be removed. Entries must incorporate the specified theme. One (1) entry per user. The RpNation Staff team will review all entries for voting in the first two weeks of November. Four features will be chosen based on how well the short story was able to match the criteria.

This thread is reserved for contest entries only. Additional comments will be removed without notification. Please direct message Chordling Chordling with any questions and/or comments.

Last edited by a moderator:
"Are to sure this is a good idea?" Jackson asked looking hesitantly at the building in front of them.

"What? You too scared to even walk in come on man?" Andre taunted smirking at his soon-to-be teammate.

Jackson was the newest quarterback for the Moonside High Football team. With an athletic build and tall physique, the red headed lad had no trouble impressing the coaches with his speed and throwing arm.

"It's a right of passage. Every player does it." Andre insisted.

Andre on the other hand was was mid-height, bulky, and had a fit fat build. He was a lineman for the team and had been playing since middle school.

"Yeah but... Come on man it's messed up." Jackson protested.

"Messed up? Come on. You just go in. Go into the ladies. Take a selfie. And walk back out." Andre said.

"Yes it's messed up a girl died in there." Jackson replied.

The building in question was the old elementary building that used to be where everyone went to school as kids. Until one day a teacher walked into the girls bathroom to find a student hanging from an extension cord, long dead. The school closed down and never reopened. That was some odd twenty years ago give or take. Jackson wasn't sure. He never had the slightest interest into looking into the story more.

"Andre... This is screwed up. There's no way everyone on the team had to do this." Jackson said trying to get Andre to change his mind.

"Everyone did it dude. You don't do it. You aren't part of the team." Andre said.

Jackson gulped and looked at the building. Although it was clearly still structurally sound, it was dirty, covered in vines, and was clearly suffering years of neglect. Jackson steeled his nerves. If this was really a right of passage. Then he might as well get it over with. If only, to get it over with. He walked toward the building and pushed one of the doors. It wasn't locked. A part of him wished it would have been.

It didn't take long for it get dark. Most of the windows were covered by vines and plants. What little sunlight did peek through the foliage did nothing to rest his nervousness. In fact it only made his mind wildly imagine what could be blending into the shadows. The parts that were so dark he couldn't see.

He took out his cell phone and turned on the flashlight. It lit up the hallway he was in. Not very brightly, but enough that he could see what was in the shadows... Nothing. Of course there was nothing. What was he thinking? The school had been abandoned for years. The worst that could be in the shadows were fellow players or other jerks that might jump out to spook him.

But even with that the mild comfort of that thought, he couldn't shake the feeling of ice in his core. The gut feeling that he really shouldn't be here. It only took a few minutes to find the girls restroom. It had an out of order sign. It was covered in some kind of dried red stuff. For a moment he entertained the idea that it might have been... Nah. It was just red paint. More stuff the players added over time to up the spook factor.

He grabbed the handled and pulled the door open. It creaked loudly and the unexpected noise made him flinch some. "Great. Nice Jackson your jumping at doors." He said.

He walked into the bathroom. There was nobody in there. There was alsot no body. Why would there be? Of course the little girl would have been taken down and buried proper. No way would they leave a corpse in a bathroom. He walked up to the Mirror. It was just dirty as the test of the school. But clean enought he could see through it. He used it as for his picture raising his phone forcing a smile and taking the selfie.

He lowered his arm looking down at his phone. "Finally now I can leave." He muttered looking up back at the mirror.

He yelped with surprise and horror, and then dropped his phone on the floor. He scrambled down to pick it up and looked in the mirror again. Nothing. For moment he thought he had seen someone. A little girl smiling up at him.

He sighed and went back to the door pushing it open. Except that it didn't open. He pushed again. Again it remained shut.

"A-Andre. Andre open the door this isn't funny." He said knocking on the door.

A high pitched giggle. "There's no Andre here silly just us."

He turned around and his eyes went wide. There right across the room was a little girl. With blue eyes and blonde hair with pigtails. A sunken gaunt face. Pale skin. And a thick purple bruise around her neck. She was smiling at him.

"Now we're gonna play. Forever."

No one but Andre heard the screams. And Andre told no one.

“Are you excited for tonight?” A voice cut through the air behind Fae causing her head to whirl around, the caramel apple flavored lollipop still lodged between her lips.

“Huh?” She would say before the question finally became clear in her mind. “Oh yes… The Halloween Ball that the Corlins always host. Remind me again how you got an invite to such a thing?” Fae asked with a skeptical look after pulling the lollipop from between her lips and returning it to its wrapper.

“Well….” Jeniffer started, giving a bit of a guilty look and biting at one of her fingernails, a sure tail sign that she was lying or up to no good. “Please don’t be mad but I didn’t get an invite… It’s a masquerade ball, so much different than the others they have hosted thus far! I figured we could sneak in or perhaps lie our way in by using the names of some people behind us.” she giggles.

A deep sigh escaped Fae’s lips and she shakes her head. “And if we get caught? Then what? I have bought this outfit for nothing wasting all of my Christmas money for my family just to not even get to wear it!”

A smirk formed on Jeniffer’s lips and she leans back against a tree. “Please… getting in is easy. Once you get inside we can explore, and see what all this manor has to actually offer. I heard their son is our age, gorgeous, not a flaw on his handsome face. I even hear-”

“You even heard he was vampire, and then what was it the years before that, some sort of mutant zombie that looks and acts perfectly fine just to lure in cute girls and eat their brains and hearts.” Fae cut her off rolling her eyes and turning away from her on the bench. “I think you’re getting your hopes up for nothing.”

“I mean we at least get to hopefully dance with some hot guys who don’t know it’s us.” she giggles.

Fae would fully shut the book she had been reading and places it into her bag standing up from the bench and facing her. “Fine… But if we get caught and go to jail or something… then it is completely on you and I take no responsibility for our actions.” Fae says plucking the lollipop back into her mouth.

A small squeal of delight left Jeniffer’s lips and she hugs Fae almost shoving the lollipop down her throat fully with her shoulder. A muffled ‘Hey watch it!’ was heard from Fae but this didn’t stop the laughter and smiling Jeniffer was doing.

“I promise you won’t regret this! It’s going to be so much fun! I’ll see you at seven!” she says running off down the road before adding. “Seven sharp!”

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Fae had gone home, eat, showered, changed, and got her outfit completely ready by the time Jeniffer showed up eagerly jumping with joy to get to the party. She rushed Fae out to the door. Fae was never one to rush walking anywhere especially in the fall months, she loved the sounds of the leaves crunching under her feet as she walked and the chilly breeze slipping through her hair. Black strands of slightly curly hair matching the black and white vintage ball gown she had picked out from the outfit store. There had been no need for her makeup since a black feathered masked covered a large portion of her face held on by a cheap elastic strap.

When the two finally arrived at the party it was almost eight o’clock, the party had already started and the line was looking extremely low on people. Jennifer would frown and give Fae’s arm a slap. “See now you have made us late and the possibilities of someone coming to get in line behind us are extremely low!” She pouts.

“Please we will just slip in behind this group that goes in, I’m sure they have a group name and won’t ask for individual names.” She points to a rather large group of about ten people ahead of them.

“We can try.” Jeniffer agrees and rushes them over there.

It went perfectly the girls were able to get into the ball without a problem. The inside of it was huge, a ballroom perfect for the event was in the center of the house with a circular walkway all the way around it leading up to the upper story rooms that looked out over the ballroom. The girls danced for a good portion of the night before the lights go dimmed and an announcer came of the speaker. “This will be the final song of the night. Thank you for all of those who attended.” The song would be a slower-paced one with an eerie feel to it. Jeniffer who hadn’t danced with a guy all night would gasp and grab Fae’s shoulder spinning her to look behind her. Down the staircase came the handsome son of the manor’s owners. Tall, dark, and handsome would be one way to describe him.

“He’s walking over here!” Jeniffer squealed with delight causing Fae’s heart to skip a beat, whether out of fear or out of excitement she could tell.

The feeling only got stronger as he walked right up to them and smiled at each. His eyes watching Fae from under the mask. “May I have a dance with you.” He says charmingly and she felt a pull as he extended his hand.

“O-Of course.” She says glancing to Jeniffer who gave her a thumbs up but seemed a bit angry that she was chosen and not her.

The man whisked her away into a dance taking the lead, Fae clumsily following along in front of him her hand on his shoulder the other in his hand. He danced them right over to a staircase before smiling and pulling away offering her a hand again. “Come… It’s a bit crowded in here… I believe a dance on the balcony would be lovely, I absolutely love the weather, nice and chilly but not too cold with the brisk breeze moving around the Autumn leaves.” He smiles devilishly something that Fae seemed to fall weak to as she followed him up the stairs.

“I-I love that as well... Fall is one of my favorite seasons, the spooky feeling of Halloween, yet the cozy and chill feeling of fall itself, the oranges, reds, and yellows of the leaves make for something amazing.” She says a bit dazed.

He would lead her into a room off to the side and through it to the balcony that overlooked the front of the house. “Much better, the music isn’t so loud here,” he says smiling down at her, he places both hands on her hips, in return, she would place both arms around his neck. His hands bringing her in close as they slow danced, the sound of the leaves crunching with each step made her smile, and the brisk breeze making her move closer into the warmth of his grip.

A small part of her would question why she allowed herself to leave the safety of a crowd to dance on a balcony with some man she had only met minutes before, but the major half of her knew she was too scared to say no and kept to herself too much, she needed a bit of romance and danger for one night.

“You know I’ve been watching you all night… you one of the most beautiful women in this place tonight.” His voice was low and deep as he spoke. “Though I can tell your one of those that don’t get out much… and you didn’t have an invite.” he pointed out causing her to grimace a bit.

“I’m sorry… My friend talked me into it… I told her it was a horrible idea and that we would get caught.” Fae says freaking out a bit to which he just laughed. “You know that’s cute how you look when you're scared.”

That sent a shudder through her body but she quickly played it off and smiled. “I’m not very cute under the mask.” She says with a sad laugh.

A hand reached up to grab at the mask and gently pull it down. He smiled, he had actually smiled at her. This caused her to blush slightly and look down. His hand gracefully moving up to lift her head by its chin and plant a small kiss on her lips. She would feel his free hand move pull her in close by the waist, the other hand leaving her chin. The kiss only lasted a moment before he pulled back and grinned at her. "Such a shame you're a good kisser, you would have made a lovely wife, but that's not what I need this year."

The hand that had been under her chin had reached down to produce a small dagger. Her body stiffened with fear and she froze. "W-What do you need this year? Why did you bring me up here?" she asked fear gripping her every word as a chuckle escaped from his lips. "See there is that cute look you give me when you're scared... Relax I am kidding, come here!" He says holding out his arms for a hug. "I'm sorry I scared you." She would relax a bit letting out a sigh of relief. "Don't do that to me..." she says giving him a half-ass laugh. She would walk towards him and the moment she moved to press herself up to his chest she would feel a sharp pain stabbing at her chest right where her heart would be. Her eyes widened and she looked down. Blood rushed from the wound where the dagger had entered her chest and into her heart. He grins a bit. "Good. Keep your face like that... You make a beautiful sacrifice, and tomorrow an excellent dinner for the family."

She would feel his free arm wrap around her waist as he twisted the blade and pulled it out. Her body drops to the ground, a pool of blood beneath her. Her last moments were peaceful at least, besides the pain that caused her breathing to be so ragged, the cool wind ran through her hair, and leaves gently fell over her. As her head fell to the side, she would notice inside the room was an alter, candles lit all around it, her vision slowly went black though the last thing she heard was his laugh. "Such a shame... Should have stayed pretty and far away from here." Her body was lifted before everything went black.

The desert had never had real seasons. Not like this, Emre muses, as he watches red-gold leaves drift serenely from the canopy arching above him. Idly, he feels a kinship with this season; dead, yet clinging viciously to its last dregs of beauty and life. Not unlike him.

He never really got to stop and appreciate scenery before. Not with Joko breathing down his neck, not with the several crises that followed after. Years and years of fighting, to no real end. It had sapped him of the opportunity to enjoy his second chance at life, and yet he had been unable to stop fighting. It ached in his bones, the need to shed blood.

He lays a gentle hand on the rugged bark of what he’s sure is an oak tree, and takes a last moment’s peace before he digs his claws into the tree and drains it of every ounce of life energy, until it’s nothing but a husk. It creaks with the ominous promise that it won’t be standing for long, and when he rubs his hand against its bark he can once again feel the barest sting of its texture.

I’ve come so far, yet gone nowhere at all, he mulls, just before the sounds of footsteps crunch through his thoughts. Crushing autumn leaves beneath pairs of heavy boots. Crumpling the beauty there, like he can feel himself doing on the inside. He turns, and there they are: his old guild. And Juniper, who had led them to him, maybe out of a misguided sense of loyalty, maybe out of a drive to claim revenge from the man who had wounded her so often, so harshly. She’s staring him down now, expression entirely unreadable, and Emre refuses to let that hurt him. Wraps his violent, twisted nature around him like a noose.

His eyes skitter across the jagged scars that mar the right side of Juniper’s delicate face, and then he steels himself. “It was a mistake for you to come here,” he rumbles, even as he knows: this is the end. For him.

“Emre, it’s not too late—“ Juniper starts, but Taryn interrupts her, all business.

“You’ve caused so much damage. We need to put you down.”

Emre closes his sulphuric eyes against the sight, for a moment, and when he opens them his face cracks in a harsh grin. “How fitting that we are here, at the end of the season that exists as a reminder of what we stand to lose. At the cusp of the season that proclaims a long sleep, and end to things before new life creeps through a desiccated skeleton, green and thriving and determined.” He’s always been good with flourishing words, and he can’t help but paint this moment in his memory in as soft, as stark, as blinding a light as possible.

Taryn’s expression shudders, briefly, but she doesn’t extend him a welcoming arm home like Juniper had. He was counting on that, anyhow.

He lugs his greatsword off of his back, and the group before him shuffles uncertainly. Their movements calm when he lays the blade against the tree he had just drained. He had come here hoping for a fight, but exhaustion lurks in his bones too strongly to be ignored any longer.

“I am tired, but I am a coward,” he murmurs. “I have lived a life far longer than anyone has the right to live, and I have taken so little joy from it.”

He turns to gaze into the endless forest stretching out before him. North, north, north. His focus slides back to the people he had once dared to call friends. He betrayed them, and he doesn’t know what they are now. As Taryn’s hand drops to her side, he thinks, not enemies.

“The seasons are changing, Em,” Juniper croaks, sounding wobbly. “You can— you can too. You can come home.”

Emre just shakes his head. “My home was destroyed decades ago. I’ve only been wandering aimlessly since. I yearn for a place to rest.” This forest would be a beautiful place to die, if he could manage it.

He turns away one last time, baring his back, and he knows: if they love him, they will kill him while he is vulnerable. If they despise him, they will let him walk north endlessly, into the cold, until his body freezes over and he enters a permanent sleep. Not dead, but not alive. Autumn on the cusp of winter, contained in one shivering, frostbitten body.

Not a soul moves, so he leaves, and he goes north.

This is the best time of year. The crisp, cutting scent of the freshly fallen leaves pairs perfectly with the orange and brown hues of pumpkins and bare trees. It’s not so cold that we can’t still enjoy the outdoors but not so warm as to force us inside. It feels like even with my closest friends, I won’t feel a connection like I do to this season.

That has to be the only reason I’m at this strange Halloween pumpkin party my friend throws every year. She always does her best to bring out all of her decorations and build the perfect atmosphere. To me, the season does all the heavy lifting for her.

“Come on, Jer. You haven’t joined a single conversation since you got here.” A concerned voice rings out. I turn to see Marin standing with a piping hot cup of apple cider that she hands to me.

“It’s how I appreciate the fall. Don’t worry so much, I’m enjoying myself.”

“Yeah – well you’ve been getting some attention beyond my own. I met a new girl in my English class this semester. Her name is-“

“Always the benevolent host. Just let me be, Mar. You know that’s how I vibe at these things.” She shakes her head after a knowing smirk and turns to join the crowd. My mind isn’t able to focus anymore knowing that someone is watching me. Does she take an interest in me or am I just a muse for some passing thought? I suppose I can’t be bothered to know, but I blame Marin for taking me out of the vast, beautiful wilderness.

I make my way back to the party, sliding slowly into a corner that no one is in. I want to have a full view of the party so that if someone is looking my way I can see. Knowing Marin, she’s probably exaggerating to mess with me.

Just as I feel myself blend into the background, a large noise causes most of the room to jump. A coy looking girl quickly apologizes, saying she got to close to a balloon with her bag. Her eyes didn’t seem to scan much - they locked pretty quickly onto me. I wonder if she’s trying to gauge my reaction, so I nonchalantly sip my cider and go about my business.

After that stunt, I have a good idea who this mysterious girl from English is. She has silky ruby hair that appears to glow in an autumnal aura. Her green eyes seemingly sparkle with the wish of a blissfully green summer that faded into September’s grasp. Her demeanor is mirroring mine – somewhat attentive to the overall flow of the party while not being part of it. A spectator more than a participant.

I can tell her gaze is fixated on me, unmoving in her apparent interest in what I’m doing. Just barely, I recall instances where of all my friends tell me I’m not brave enough. That I should just go talk to her. Yet something keeps me planted in my spot. I don’t want to come on too aggressive even if I think she’s interested. This is a rare chance to see how it feels to be pursued.

The night continues and Marin starts to announce the winners of the costume contest. I can’t help but start to focus intently on this mysterious girl still. She hasn’t changed her demeanor much, but now she’s closer to me. At this point, we’ve done everything except actually talk. I pluck up what little courage I have and relent. I’ll engage with her first.

“How did Marin get you to this thing?” I murmur, trying not to draw any other bystanders. She looks at me and blinks a few times. A quick shake of her head is followed by a slight exhale.

“We met in English.” she meekly replies. I can sense that despite my anxiety, she’s in a much tougher spot. I exhale a bit and lean back.

“Seems like she always tries to ensure everyone is enjoying themselves. I guess it’s a charm I’ve never been able to mimic.” She seems to let her guard down a bit now that we’re talking about Marin. “Oh, I’m Jerid.”

“Lei. I’m newer to this state so I’m always trying to find someone to help me get my footing. You seem a bit more my pace than…” As she trails off, we turn our heads into the increasingly rowdy crowd. They all seem to be genuinely enjoying themselves, but I can get why someone might be intimidated by it all.

“Yeah I don’t min-“

“Do you want to step into the other room? It’s a bit loud in here.” I feel my cheeks get a bit warm, but nod. Marin catches my eye and smiles with just her mouth. I suppose the hosting is finally catching up to her today. The beating of my heart becomes apparent as I move with her towards a nearby bedroom.

The power dynamic shifts immediately once we get into the room. She is absolutely more relaxed, but my mind can’t help but race with possibility. I haven't had anyone take notice of me before. I try my best to keep calm and collected, wondering if my sweat is starting to show through my shirt. She smirks and pats the bed she's sitting on.

“I can tell you’re a lone wolf, right Jerid?”

“Well… I wouldn’t…”

As I speak, Lei leans closer to me. The air around me is filled with the floral perfume she must’ve worn today as I’m taken aback by her proximity. Her shirt lightly dances around her small frame as she tilts my way. She seems to be in full control here – something I’m not entirely against. I close my eyes, for a brief moment just grounding myself in reality.

“Wait, why are you closing your eyes? Did you really think I’d kiss someone like you?”

Then a piercing scream shatters throughout the room and I nearly fall backwards. Lei has ripped her shirt and is backing against the wall. A couple guys break into the room and Lei let’s out exaggerated sobs as she rushes behind one of the few that broke in.

“What in the hell were you doing?” One of them barks, aggressively closing the distance between us. I stammer, a bit taken back. How can I articulate what I just experienced? The full party started to shuffle up the door as one of the guys grabs me by the collar. He punches me hard in the gut and watches me collapse to the floor.

Marin pushes her way into the room and quickly rushed over to Lei. The murmurs are steadily growing as I clutch my throbbing stomach. After a quick back and forth, she turns to me. The room goes silent.

“You need to leave, Jerid. Now.”

I will myself back onto my feet. Before I’m given a chance to open my mouth, a few of the guys in the crowd grab my arms and start to shuffle me out. I feel everyone’s eyes on me. The angry shouts in the crowd grow louder. More exasperated. More fierce. People that are in my classes had their faces contort with disgust. The guys throw me hard onto the sidewalk and I can feel my clothing tear and scuff against the coarse concrete.

“Don’t ever come back or we’ll show you how we deal with sexual assault.”

In a stupor, I limp back to my apartment. At this point the only course of action will be to let Marin know what really happened and hope she believes me. I’m not even sure I know what really happened. I don’t know if I’d ever be able to go to class again. Even if I got ahead of this, it’s not going to disappear in the mind of every person who hears about this. It’ll haunt me forever.

I climb into my bath upon my return home. The water doesn’t wash away the feeling of shame that has persisted since the party. I scour the last few weeks to try any way I could to understand if I made any enemies. Was there some reason I wasn’t seeing? Perhaps I deserved the disdain of my friends and classmates. Perhaps this wasn’t out of nowhere.

When night washes over the landscape, I lay in my bed. The weight of a mountain holds me in place, but I don’t fight against it. I have no desire to move at this point anyway. The silence of the night fills my head with the one thing I didn’t want to remember. The moment before Lei had shamed me, I could almost see a future where we got together. We’d talk about how we met at a Halloween party. That the fall air outside was a precursor for the relationship that would surely have bloomed. Now I’d have to grapple with changing my entire life. This kind of thing will follow me no matter where I go.

My attempts to drift into the comforting world of dreams were not going well. I hear the scorned yelling. Lei denying me even though she seemed to like me. The scream I never expected. The disappointment in Marin’s voice when she told me to leave. I shift every time I am able to recount these images. Tears start to stream down my face and the cold fall air bites my cheeks.

Wait… the cold fall air? I never sleep with the window open. My eyes are slow to open and the weight in my body is replaced by… a sensation of floating. My body doesn’t respond when I feel a dread building up inside. I can’t move.

A shadow swiftly appears in the doorway. With nothing but street lights and moonlight I can’t make out what exactly this is. I just know I am helpless to respond. I’ve heard of this phenomenon before. Sleep paralysis. Of all nights for this to happen it’s on the worst night of my life. Then the shadow approaches and starts to drag me out of bed.

Are sleep paralysis experiences able to move you? I am still pretty groggy from sleep, so perhaps this was another hallucination. The shadow drags me towards the bathroom. The bright light hurts my eyes, but the pain had to be endured because I wasn’t able to blink manually. There in the bathroom stood a feminine looking person clad all in black. They slowly turn on the bathtub before gently lowering me in. I wonder if this is some kind of mental breaking point bubbling up from my subconscious in response to today.

“I know you’re awake, Jerid.” The figure in black mutters. I am not even sure I’m comprehending the words correctly, yet the fact that they just commented on me being awake shocked me. Then I realize. The water is slowly rising and I am not able to sit up. She reaches down and lifts what looks like a brick up, dropping it roughly onto my chest. My eyes go wide as I realize that I wouldn’t be able to breathe for much longer. Dream or not – this was something I didn’t want to experience.

The figure sits on the edge of the tub and watches me. They kick their legs in the air rapidly, seemingly taking great joy in my predicament. The water is reaching my lower chin and my eyes can only stay fixated on the aura of joy being given off by this careless interloper. Though I can’t feel it, I know that my final breaths could be coming soon.

A loud knock scares the figure in black. They leap and quickly rush out of the room. I hear a voice I never expected to hear tonight.

“Jerid – we need to talk. Now.” Marin’s voice echoes clear as day into the apartment. The water is starting to get above my eyes and I see the bubbles start to come up from where my mouth should be. Without feeling, I can’t tell how long I have. Footsteps approach as my vison starts to wane.

Marin screams in fear as she walks into the bathroom. She quickly lifts the brick off my chest and raises my head above water. I must look dead already. She lifts me out of the tub slowly and starts doing CPR. It feels like I’m standing next to her watching these events happen… but when I apparently cough up some water it’s clear that this isn’t some stranger. It’s me.

“Jerid… why? Even though no one else would have dared, I was going to listen to your side. Why did you have to try to kill yourself?” She hugged my head close. Then out of the corner of my eye I see the black figure looking into the bathroom. There is nothing I am able to do beyond scream in my head. The figure reaches into their pocket, lifting a large medicinal shot into the air. It looks like it’s filled with some unknown liquid. For a brief, fleeting moment I am able to lock eyes with the figure and Marin turns.

It’s too late. Marin has the foreign needle administered into her neck. She screams before dropping me onto the floor and collapsing against the tub.

“W-what did you do?” She manages to croak out before collapsing on her side. It’s clear that she’s in a state similar to me – aware of everything yet unable to move. The thought once again crosses my mind: am I awake? Is this actually happening to me?

The figure scoffs and kicks Marin in the side.

“You absolute idiot. This was supposed to look like a suicide. Now that you came here I need to get more creative. I hope you like the outdoors.” At this point it’s clear that the person speaking is a girl. More than that – the same dialect and tone had already been burned into my skull. Lei.

As Lei strips our clothes off of us completely, I realize just how at her mercy we are. Not even the shame of nudity is present amidst the fear of death. We’re completely at the mercy of Lei as she drags each of us slowly out to the back porch where she’s able to carelessly load us into her car. She ensured we were locking eyes in the back seat as Lei drives us to whatever she deemed as our fate.

At this point my entire world is what Lei is presenting to us. My entire visual world is an astonishingly blank faced Marin, pupils shifting slowly along my face. I can only hear the gentle rumbling of her vehicle as we make our way further and further from home. Lei is intermittently growling and pounding the wheel, clearly externalizing her frustrations. It’s a distinctive sound that helps keep me grounded in this reality that is otherwise trying to break away from me.

Just as I’m about to resign my fate, I sense my heart is beating rapidly. For the first time since I laid down tonight, I can feel it jumping out of my chest. Up to this point I had been working under the assumption that this was a vivid nightmare, yet excruciating feeling came seeping back like poisonous blood through my muscles. I cannot deny this reality anymore. More than that, if Lei realizes that I have any control of my body, she will undoubtedly use her needle again. Or worse.

Soon the car screeches to a halt. Lei bangs hard on the window. It takes everything I have to stave off an involuntary jump. She opens the door and pulls me off first, tossing my body carelessly to the ground. The sharpness of the pain I feel is only exasperated by the prickly feeling of slowly regaining my body’s movement. She drags Marin out with the same level of care.

We’re each propped against the car and made to face a small opening where Lei pulled into. She leans into our faces and smirks. She chuckles, “I’d make you dig your own graves, but this will have to do.” She starts putting her shovel into the ground and tossing dirt into a pile. Mercifully, it seems like my body is at the point where I can move… but then I come to an unfortunate realization. My chest is in pretty bad shape. I’m having a lot of trouble breathing. Did I take on too much water? Was the brick dropped too haphazardly on my chest? Either way the pain of that trauma was starting to come into focus as I do everything I can to keep from wheezing.

When I think it can’t get worse, I recall that the forest floor at night can be the territory of many creatures. The feeling of tiny legs and feelers becomes more and more apparent. When Lei is around halfway done in her abhorrent task, I take a glance down and see a lot of shadowy creatures moving across both of our bodies. A chill went up my spine, but I need to stay focused. My eyes turn towards Marin. I can only imagine the thoughts going through her mind as she’s forced to watch Lei continue her task.

Suddenly I hear the shovel slam into the earth and Lei rushes up to us. Her eyes are focused and accusatory, going slowly between Marin and myself.

“You still in there?” She murmurs to herself. I feel sweat start to form as my chest compresses involuntarily. She catches this almost immediately and lets a hearty chuckle out. Her hand slowly moves up my body and to my chest. My eyes tremble as I prepare for the worst. She slowly pushes in and a cough comes out. Tears stream out but I ensure that my pupils stay focused on hers. Her lips curl into a smile. She sharply withdraws her hand and draws near my ear, whispering, “If only you were feeling how much this is killing you.”

Immense relief rushes into my mind knowing that she doesn’t seem to comprehend I am capable of understanding that. I sense blood start to stream down my lower lip. She saunters back to the hole and jumps in. I know that this may be my only opportunity to fight back. Without any hesitation, I leap to my feet and rush for the shovel. Just as I’m grabbing the hilt I see a panicked Lei clutching to the metal head. She lets out a massive bellow and in response I starting kicking the ground. As dirt is flying towards her, I manage to pry the shovel from her grasp. Instinct alone tells me that she’s the overwhelming threat to my survival so I do the only thing I can - swing the shovel hard at her head.

A guttural thud rings out into the frigid air and Lei collapses into the hole.

I fall to my knees and start coughing roughly. The shovel falls to the ground unceremoniously as I wipe the blood from my mouth. With my adrenaline still running high I should be able to fight through the general pain I’m feeling, but I don’t know for how long. My first move is to quickly rush over to Marin. I’m not sure how long I was out before this so I don’t know if she’s going to be able to move.

“I got you, Mar. Don’t worry. I got you.” I slowly lift her into the back seat and ensure she’s safely in before closing the door. I go to grab the keys… and realize Lei likely had them on her body. My unwilling mind slowly focuses on the hole I left her in. I clutch my chest to mitigate the pain and limp towards the hole.

Then I notice the shovel is missing.

My heart nearly jumps into my throat as I stumble back against the car. I open the driver’s side and lean into the seat. Lei has the keys and the element of surprise. My eyes glance towards Marin who seems to be stoically frozen still. Without the keys we’re nothing but easy bait.

I stagger out near the hole to ascertain where her footsteps led to. Then I hear something rapidly closing distance. Unfortunately due to my chest, I’m not able to react in time. The shovel crashes into the back of my head and I collapse forward into the hole. Dirt envelopes me as I convulse, trying my best to breathe. Lei grunts as she stands over me.

“You ruined my face. Now I’m going to ensure your family knows you tried to murder me before I was able to defend myself. You tragically disappeared into the woods.” She shovels dirt on top of me as I squirm in pain. “You weren’t able to cope with the fact that you groped me at the party. Marin was complicit in your actions and left with you after your attempt.” Another shovel of dirt.

My eyes feel like they’re on fire. I gasp desperately, looking up at the dark treetops that are dancing in the wind. This could be the final image I’m able to see so I want to find some semblance of happiness in the chasm of hell. Another shovel of dirt.

I can feel the earth below me move. The worms and beetles burrowing only to find my body in the way. Something about me decomposing directly into the forest brought me a peace I didn’t think I’d know. Another shovel of dirt.

Would Marin have listened to my side of the story? Could she have helped me find some semblance of redemption? I don’t know. Marin has always been my closest friend and unfortunately now I’m going to have to die knowing that her fate is left up to this maniac. I send a silent curse towards the top of the hole. Another shovel of dirt.

My world is nearly completely dark. Between the blood loss and dirt piling on me, I don’t have much longer. Lei positions herself above me and spits into the tomb she’s made.

“You could have at least shown me any kind of fear, you disgusting whelp.”

Before she lets loose the pile of dirt that would cover me she yelps as if she was just pinched. She drops the shovel and collapses. Marin, sweating and trying her best to cover herself, peeks into the hole tentatively. In her hand is the needle that Lei was using against us.

“Jerid… Jer are you ok? Are you in there?”

I make an effort to call out but she can’t hear me. She starts to softly weep. I try to lift my hand but she isn’t able to see it. My voice is all but gone. To comfort her is my only desire.

After several minutes, she walks away from the hole. It sounds like she lifts Lei and drags her to the car. The keys jingle and there’s a pregnant pause. After what feels like an eternity, she closes the door and begins to drive away.

The hours melt away in the forest as I try to keep myself breathing. The faintest hope of being found when Marin returns is the only thing I’m able to focus on. That and the crisp, cutting scent of the autumn leaves. It pairs perfectly with the orange and brown hues of pumpkins and bare trees. It’s not so cold that we can’t still enjoy the outdoors but not so warm as to force us inside. My eyes become heavy. This is the best time of year.

A cold wind blows through the dimly lit village on the hill, as the moon takes its place in the sky shining down on the weary souls hastily rushing home. Their footsteps on the broken cobblestone pathways echoing throughout the various alleyways and corridors. While they hurry to their dwellings, the wind slowly grows in strength as it drops in temperature. Minutes go by with the sounds of doors slamming and windows shutting. Fires from the homes begin to cast their orange glow onto the streets. A group of children are scolded as they are caught playing in the small light cast from the windows. Their parents drag them inside by their ears. They all know what comes this time of year. They have faced it for generations. So long that the very reason they have been cursed has been long forgotten by most, and poorly retold by few.

The last of the villagers make it to their homes before the first hour of night has fallen. The experienced of the population don't bother looking outside, but in every window children's noses can be seen pressed up against the cold glass. Slowly, as if the very cold itself were able to walk amongst the people, a frost begins creeping across the village. It always begins from the west and travels to the east. A progression of white shavings makes its way onto the cobblestone, up the trees, edging the windows and frightening the curious children, and painting the grass. The fires the only thing keeping the people alive, and they know it. It's the same sound in every household. The sound of a roaring fireplace bellowing out for sustenance, and ever threatening to cease providing its life giving heat to the family. The cold doesn't forgive, it doesn't wait, it shows no mercy, and it does not forget. It returns each Fall with the same icy vengeance that it has plagued the village with for over 300 years.

A pitch black shape begins to manifest itself at the edge of the village directly in front of the main gate. The frosted wood begins to creak as the entity's energy starts to circulate into a small wind. The leaves swirl and gravel is moved around in a dusty dance. The shape begins to protrude from the ground like a stem of evil reaching for the sky. It branches out wickedly like the cold veins of a corpse until it manifests perfectly into a long dark robe with a hood pulled up. There is silence, as the presence waits at the gate. A black pit sinks at the face of the robe. Anyone able to see this entity being created would see what looks like the absence of light, with black cloth heavily swaying around it in the still brutal wind. The horrific sight is not normal to them. The cold has never been accompanied by a manifestation of this sort. Confusion sets in with fear as the few people with eyes on the gate begin to see the shape pass inside.

Then everything stopped. There was complete and terrifying silence amongst the village. The wind ceased to exist, taking the sound of crackling frozen leaves along with it. The crystalizing of frost on windows, the whipping of frayed rope against wood, loose chains hanging on walls, every sound went silent. All sound that could be heard survived inside with the fires of the homes. A sinking feeling of dread overcomes the villagers as they begin to sense that there is no hope for life outside their individual prisons. They can feel that there is something worse than they have ever known this year, and it has come with a purpose. A purpose of ending.

"Mom," a child murmurs. With tears in his eyes and a voice so delicate with fear, he softly cries again, "Mom. M-mom there's something at the gate." His mother, mesmerized by the fire, doesn't look up. She doesn't offer any acknowledgement of his cry. As the boy begins to turn from the window towards his mother to speak again, she quickly glares in his direction. A stone cold expression that is only matched by the outside air. Immediately her face is cast in shadow as the fire's light from behind shines around her. She just stares at her son, and he is frozen in place. His heart stops, with the sounds of outside. His tears begin to slow as they try to reach his chin. They slow... and slow... and stop altogether. They begin to freeze. Slowly, the small icicle forms from the bottom towards the boy's eye. As if in unison, the life giving fire begins to diminish in the home. The glow cast against the boy's mother becomes fainter as the darkness that once only knew her face, begins to envelop her entire being. As the fire reaches its final seconds, the mother's mouth gapes inhumanly wide. It stretches and stretches as black tendrils of shadow begin to violently crawl their way out of the opening. They begin to form an exact copy of the malevolent entity at the gate of the village. A soulless black in the center of the black hood with the tattered robe. It floats slowly towards the boy, passes through him, and then through the window into the outside. This copy begins to go door to door, touching the handles of the homes that hide the only life inside the doomed village.

Slowly, like the initial familiar frost that crept through, the entity continues its mission. It leaves a bit of itself on every door it passes. A blackness defiling the brass on each handle all throughout the village. All the while, the first entity waits hauntingly at the gate. It has not moved as if to match the similar state of things outside the homes. Nothing moves outside, no sound is made, except the copy floating from door to door. As it touches the final handle with a protruding branch of nothingness, it vanishes. As if on cue, the initial entity begins to float forward. Still no sound is made outside. The scene has not much changed on the insides either. Every house is still silent, aside from the crackling of the flame that keeps the cold at bay.

Or so they hoped.

As the entity reaches the well in the center of the village, sounds begin to creep back into the ambience of the world. The wind especially making its presence known, howling down the streets like a banshee. The entity reaches slowly into the sky and grabs the sides of its hood. It pulls the hood back as if savoring the moment that it had been waiting for since its creation. The black void that is the entity begins disappear, chunks being taken by the wind as if it were made of fragile chips of paint. What lied beneath the emptiness shows itself to those with hopeless eyes staring out their windows. A bright white skull with pits of tar in place of eyes. The skull so bright, it rivals the essence of the moon that watches over the dreary scene. The entity turns in a circle, letting all watching take his face in. It smiles wickedly, seemingly excited to see the looks of horror on the faces of the people.

"LOOK. LOOK AT WHAT YOU'VE CREATED!" It shouts. The sound reverberating throughout the entire village. Everyone hears the voice with the same intensity, as if it be more then just a voice. A sound carried by pure hatred manifest, and the people cower as they are forced to bear the words. "You've grown stupid with the ease of this life. With each miserable generation taking over the last. Only matching those that began in the speed at which they fell from grace. You have been given your chances, and with each and every one you choose to FORGET!" It blurts this word in a quick angry frustration. Just as quickly, however, it calms again. "Well now, you will remember."

Last edited:
There had to be a way out. He didn't know how yet but the answer had to be there. Rayner had woken up around half an hour prior only to find himself somewhere he'd never been before and didn't recognize in the least. It appeared to be some kind of abandoned hospital. The bed smelled like mildew and had only a thin, stained sheet resting on top of it. The walls were cracked and covered with grime and mold from years of neglect. There was even a hole in the ceiling where buckets of water were falling as it continued to rain heavily outside. For all intents and purposes, this place was falling apart.

Unfortunately, all that aside the door felt as solid as could be. He hadn't been able to budge it even an inch. It was too dark in the halls on the other side of the door, so he couldn't be sure, but he thought something might have been in front of it blocking his access. If he could figure out how to move that, he'd be golden, but for now he was trying to find another way out.

The window was out of the question. A few bars remained, but most had been knocked out at some point. Despite that, the window itself was still far too small for Rayner to even consider squeezing through. He stood a good 6 foot 3 with broad shoulders. With the bars only being about an inch and a half apart, there was no way he'd even be able to squeeze his shoulders through, let alone the rest of him. That brought his attention back to the hole in the ceiling. He'd been trying to avoid that since he could tell it would be dangerous, but there might not be any other choice. Still with the water running down, what ever beams were up there were most likely rotted and wouldn't support his 215 pounds.

Someone had obviously brought him here, so chances were high nobody that could hear him would be on his side, but Rayner had still tried to call out for assistance. But he needed to get out of there. The pungent aroma made him sick to his stomach and he didn't like being caged like a rat. Especially in a death trap like this.

In one corner there was a dilapidated desk and chair. Testing the wood, one of the chair legs would be strong enough for a club. Picking the chair up by the back, he smashed it against the pealing wall until it broke into pieces. Grabbing the leg he gave it a few swings. "It'll have to do."

Deciding to give it one more shot before he used the bed to help hoist himself up through the ceiling, Rayner wandered back over to the door and pressed his face against the opening there. "Hey! Anyone out there?" He called, hand tightening on the club in his hand. He'd prefer help, but if an opponent came instead, he'd be ready for them. If nobody came, then the roof it was.

Drip…Drip…Drip…

A few cells down, Alix groaned as one eye slowly opened. "What's that smell?" He moaned rolling over onto his side and closing his eye once again. "Mike, Sarah... I think something is rotting." But as much as he wanted, he couldn't get back to sleep with that smell. Green eyes opened to see a huge rotting rat next to his face. "Holy..." He sat up and scooted back with an agility he wasn't usually capable of. "Where in the world am I?" Before he could fully contemplate that thought he heard a voice calling out from down the Hall. Standing up and dusting himself off Alex headed out the door that was standing wide open. The shambles of a building made him wonder what was going on. The place was in ruins, like it could fall down at any moment.

"Hello? He called back. Who's there?" He paused at a door that had long diagonal bars that kept it locked in place. Rayner hadn't been expecting this child to come when he called. the boy didn't look much older than 18, if that. Trying not to look so menacing, he bent his knees and dropped his head a hair. "Hey Kid." He replied. "Please, think you can open the door?" Alix took a step back, running a shaken hand through his mop of strawberry curls. "I don't know if I should." Golden eyes fixed on the thick rusted bars. He wasn't even sure that he could pull them back, even if he wanted too.

As he pondered the situation the sounds of metal scraping against metal rang out from the other end of the long dark hall. Fluorescent lights flickering out a fatalistic warning. As if letting them know their death was at hand. "Oh hell, what's that?" He breathed. Eye's widened in fear. Looking back to the locked door, Alix started to pull. The first bar gave with a mighty groan. "That's it kid, keep going. I'll keep watch."

Rayner stuck his head as far out as he could. Which wasn't much given the situation. But there was clearly something or someone else in the abandoned hospital with them. "Just a little more." The door seemed to vibrate as the bar scraped across it. "There is another bar." Alix said, looking up to the man in the room. "It won't budge." From the darkness something shattered as the sounds of more scraping could be heard. Slowly the sounds were growing closer. "Oh man..." The kid started to cry. "we're going to die." He doubled his efforts to force his will on the bar. Doing everything he could to make it move. Alix didn't want to be in the hall alone with what ever it was.

He cried out as two nails broke below the quick and started to bleed as his hands slipped. Alix went tumbling backwards onto the muck covered floor. Leaving him with the feeling of being slimed. "Come on kid, hurry." There was a new urgency in Rayner's voice. Between the flickers of fluorescent and a slender silhouette the starting to take shape. The scraping sounds of metal on metal didn't help either. Alix scrambled to his feet and pulled once more. The last bar cried out as it came free from the lock pin, allowing the door to open.

Rayner let out a breath of relief. With something clearly coming, he didn't want to be trapped in the room. The door opened with out any more resistance. The large bars made a better weapon then his half rotten wood. "Grab the other one." Rayner's voice was stern and commanding as he looked down to the kid. "Listen to me and we might make it out alive."

From one end of the hall it came into full view. long and thin, like someone stretched a shadow to form a sliver of a person. Hands slowly melding into rusted claws that sparked as they were drug along the ground. The two men turned, running the opposite direction. Only to come to a locked door at the other end of the hall. Emergency exit flashed in red over the door. A triple pain window sat in the center with a person behind it.

Dressed in a dark hazmat suit, the person just stood there. Simply watching Rayner and Alix pounding and screaming for help. "I'm going to beat you into a bloody pulp if I get out of this!" Rayner snarled. "Please..." Begged Alix. "I won't cause any more trouble at home. Please let me go home!" Still the person behind the door didn't budge. Only shifting to jot a few things down on a pad then watched some more. Then they double checked that the door was well secured and locked before turning to leave.

Realizing they weren't going to make it through the door. The two turned around the face the thing coming. It was all they could do at that point. Bracing for a fight they were sure to loose. Waiting for it to come to them. "Try to stay calm kid." Rayner did his best to muster up the calmest voice he could. "I'll attack first. You try and sneak around the back." The black distorted figure was there faster then they had wanted. Hell, they didn't want to be in that creep show of a place to start with.

As they planned, once the thing was in reach, they attacked. Rayner swinging for what looked to be the knees of the thing. Alix hugged the wall as he tried to move around back. Yet the shadowy thing didn't seem to be effected by what was going on. One of the massive claws swiped through the air. Rayner screamed out as 3 crimson lines formed across his face. As the other claw moved in the opposite direction, it was Alix's turn to scream. He was on the ground holding his leg They were about to die. They couldn't stop it, let alone slow it down. As the thing swung it's claws again, everything went black. Only the echos of screams remained.

"Alix... Alix" Rayner said shaking him lightly. "It's just a movie... wake up. You fell asleep during the slender man." Alix jumped as his eyes came open and looked around the empty theater. His soda and popcorn spilt on his lap. The janitor made a scraping sound as he swept the floors. Dragging the trashcan behind him. "Come on, lets get you home."

Loneliness was all he knew, after all, he was the cold that shriveled the flowers. Was this just his destiny or punishment for all his actions? He always wondered if there was hope for him, but life constantly reminded him that he was just a sad, cold, deserted winter. But then, she came like a spring breeze on a mosaic of colors called autumn.

With a smile brighter than the sunset she warmed the icy storm that was inside him. Was this a miracle or just a dream? Has life ever been so good with him or once again, was he just being a fool hoping that things would get better? With fear just like bare branches quivering in the wind, he approached her, and just as he expected, she was as mesmerizing as the harvest moon.

The shorter days came and the longer nights arrived, but his love only grew fonder, the feeling of hope only becoming bigger. Was this what people called happiness? It was such an unexpected but pleasant feeling that he was terrified that any moment it could slip away from him. Did she feel the same back towards him? Or was he just a fallen leaf in her life? Little did he know that he was a precious presence in her life; but only the autumn wind knew their truth.

One afternoon, as the birds started to move away, freely and with the hope of finding a better place, he got the courage to express his love. And just like the birds, he wanted to be free and say out loud how he really felt. Was he crazy? Maybe. He was just foolish in love. And with a passion brighter than ablaze, he said the words I love you. Finally, she and the wind howling through the trees knew his true feelings. She smiled back gently and said I love you too. And just when the autumn leaves were at the peak of their splendor, their love started.

He gave her his seasons, she gave him hers, a love that grew as a harvest of memories in an orange sky, where both danced just like the fallen leaves on a windy day. A love so wonderful that made the rest jealous of them, but no one was more jealous than Destiny. Was he really fooling with the plan that they have carefully crafted for him? Wasn't he satisfied enough with what they have given to him, that he decided to defy what he knew just because of love?

A riot of flames was Destiny's anger. No one would dare to go against their decisions. She wasn't part of the plan in his life, and just as her unexpected arrival created the commotion inside him, and just as the last petal fell from the flowers, she was gone. He searched for her as the leaves continued falling, bringing them closer to the winter, just like the place where his heart belonged.

But every year he comes back to the place where everything started, while he watches the leaves fall as the memory of what they were, knowing that the seasons will change, the flowers will grow up and the birds will sing again. But, she won't be there anymore. He’d always regarded her as his first autumn leaf, not knowing he would be her last.

Trigger warning. This story may contain content that is not suited for some people. Viewer discretion is advised.

Demon's pov

For years I've roamed this earth, I've lost count of how many years it's been since I was banished, I took the form of a high school student, trying to find my purpose. It wasn't until this one girl. There was this one girl that changed my life. I sat in the same boring classroom, next to a girl. She was always so quiet. Never spoke unless spoken to. But something about her seemed different from the others. Everyone had a social circle, yet this girl kept quiet and to herself most of the time. One day, I decided to approach her. She sat by a tree, she had short blue hair and pale skin. She always wore a hoodie and sat under this tree, reading a book.

"Hello." I greeted. She looked up from her book. "Hi." She greeted me back, her voice was soft and quiet. I gave her a warm smile. "What're you reading? It looks good." I said, trying to converse with her. "Oh um, it's called good girls guide to murder." She replied. "That's an interesting book name." I stood there in awkward silence for a moment before she spoke again. "What's your name? I've never seen you around here before." I froze. I never thought of a name before! I looked around, trying to think of one. "My name? Oh uh- Jaime!" I quickly said she seemed to laugh at that. What was so funny? "I'm Sarani." You must be new here. You um, you can sit down if you want." Upon sitting down next to her, I noticed something. Was that- was that a bruise? "What happen here?" I asked, reaching my hand over to touch it, she flinched away. "O-oh I umm. I just fell." I raised an eyebrow. "You got a bruise on your cheek from falling-" She nodded. "Mhm! Hey, do you maybe want to come over? W-we can hangout or something.." She sounded nervous, I didn't understand why though. I smiled. "Sure, Sarani. That sounds nice."

After school was over, I came out and saw Sarani waiting for me. "Hey, Jaime!" She waved to me and I came over to her. She just accepted me into her home? Just like that? She doesn't even know who I am. Humans are weird. Do they just invite any random person over to their house? What if I was a murderer- "Ready to go?" She asked, snapping me out of my thoughts and I nodded. "Yeah. I'm ready." It was silent for a few moments. "So what's your book about?" I asked. "Oh, it's about this girl who was murdered by her boyfriend. So this school, they're doing a project on it. And well, the girl doing the project thinks that it wasn't actually the boyfriend.." I reached the front porch as she spoke. Before I could say anything, she seemed to stop and stand at the door. Yelling could be heard from inside. "Umm, come around this way." I followed her to the back of the house, I was so confused on what she was doing. "Stay right here. I'll tell you when it's safe to come in." Safe? Why would she need to make sure that it's safe? I thought to myself. She went around to the front door, despite what she said, I peeked my head around the corner.

She opened the door and as soon as she opened it I could hear yelling and screaming. What the fuck? What's with the yelling? After the door closed, I went up to it and put my ear to it. "You're home late rani." A woman's voice said.

Sarani's pov

"So do you want to explain you were late, Rani?" My so-called mother asked me and I shifted, glancing at the watch on my wrist, to see the time as her foot tapped against the hardwood floors. I shifted and shrugged. "Sorry, I didn't mean to be late." I swallowed hard, closing my eyes tightly as a slap was delivered to my cheek. It stung and there was a red handprint on my cheek now. I looked up at her with wavering eyes. My father came out of the living room, beer in his hand. I clenched my bag tightly, as he came over and gripped my face tightly. "Don't be late again, and you won't get hurt, God Sarani! Is it that fucking hard!? You useless piece of shit!" He yelled, his breath reeking of alcohol. "I'm sorry." I said quietly, holding back my tears. Grabbing my arm tightly, he glared at me. "I can't hear you when you mumble, Rani!" He yelled, punching me in the face, hard enough for me to fall onto the floor. "I'm sorry, it won't happen again!" I cried out and stood up. Smirking, he grabbed me and pulled me into a hug. He was nothing but a fat and sweaty pig. He reeked of alcohol. "See that's better." He said, placing a kiss on my forehead he pushed me forward towards the stairs. "Now. Go upstairs." He said. I made my way upstairs, completely forgetting Jaime was there, I went to my room and closed and locked the door, sitting on my bed, holding a pillow tightly, tears flowing down my face. "What happened? Why are you crying?" Jaime suddenly asked and I screamed, jumping back. He covered my mouth, hushing me.

Jaime's pov

After hearing the yelling and screaming, I waited outside just like she said to. Except, she didn't come out, so I teleported in, worried and concerned for this girl. Something I never felt before. It was a different feeling. I wanted… I wanted to protect her… upon teleporting in, I found her sitting on her bed, sobbing into a pillow. I frowned, coming over and sitting next to her, placing a hand on her back. "What happened, why are you crying?" She gasped and jumped back, ready to scream. I put my hand on her mouth, hushing her. Her eyes were wide, tears leaking from them. "I'm not going to hurt you, I promise." I reassured in a calm gentle tone, slowly removing my hand. "How did you- how did you get in?" She asked. "It's a long story, that's not important." I looked at her and noticed a big bruise on her cheek, bringing my hand to it, anger filled my body. "You can't tell me that it was from falling, Sarani." She looked down, sitting up, putting her knees to her chest. "I don't Want to talk about it." She pulled the hoodie over her face. "I'm sorry I shouldn't have invited you over. It was a stupid idea." I looked at her. "No, it's okay. You're okay." I came closer, putting an arm around her. "I'll tell you how I got in if you tell me what happened." She stayed silent. "I came home, and they yelled at me for being late." She said, "And then my dad punched me." She explained. I pulled her into what I think humans call a hug. My arms were tightly around her and she started to cry again. I ran my fingers through her short blue hair, trying to calm her down.

Lifting her face I cupped her cheeks, using my thumbs to wipe her tears. "I'm sorry you shouldn't have to go through this. Look, the reason I got in was because I'm a demon. I was banished to earth." I explained and she chuckled. "There's no such thing as demon's." She said looking up at me. "I promise you they are very real." I said. I opened her window and sat on the window sill, holding my hand out. I smiled. "Do you trust me?" She reluctantly nodded and took my hand and I pulled her close, jumping down from the window and put her down. She wiped her tears and sniffled. "Come on." I said, grabbing her hand. She seemed to flinch. It seemed like she wasn't used to people touching her in such a generous way. “I’m not going to hurt you, Sarani, I promise.” I tried to reassure her, leading her away from the house. “Where are we going?” She asked me and I smiled. “I’m going to take you somewhere so you can have a little freedom. We’re going to have fun.”

Sarani’s pov

I looked at him as he sat on the window sill. “Do you trust me?” He asked me and I reluctantly nodded, taking his hand and he jumped out the window. This man was crazy, I thought to myself. He’s supposedly a demon? This didn’t make any sense but I was going to go along with it. He did seem to care about me.. He grabbed my hand and I flinched away at first, looking at him. What if he wanted to hurt me as well? What if he was like them? I didn’t want to go with someone just to get hurt. He stepped closer and pushed a piece of my blue hair behind my ear. He gave me a warm smile. “I won’t hurt you, Sarani.” He said calmly and took my hand again and he started to lead me away from the house. “Where are we going?” I asked. He smiled again. “Somewhere fun. You’ll see.” He told me and at one point we were standing on the property of my house. Now we were standing in front of an entrance. It looked like an entrance to a carnival. How did we get from my house to a carnival? “Two wristbands please.” I heard him say. The young woman behind the booth smiled at me as she handed Jaime the wristbands and he put one on me, then one on him. “Come on. You’ll have a grand time I swear.” I looked around. Babies crying as their parents held them, kids laughing with joy as people walked past us. “Yeah but they're going to kill me if they find out I'm gone.” I was so nervous and scared. Not because of him but because of my parents. “We’ll be gone one hour at most. I promise.” He said to me and I nodded, going along with it. “Okay..” We were there for more than an hour. We went on so many rides and I got some funnel cake. It was nighttime now and we were on the ferris wheel. He sat next to me, holding my hand. I placed my head on his shoulder and he put his arm around me. This was so different compared to what I was used to at home. It was nice. He kissed my forehead as we reached the top. “I told you, we’d have a good time.” He said and I smiled, yawning. “Yea. It was really nice.” I said and the ferris wheel got to the bottom again. We left the carnival and he led me to the woods. “If you ever need anything. Anything, ever.” He took a stick and started to draw a symbol in the dirt. “You draw this symbol and it will summon me and I'll be right there for you.” He said and I nodded and took a photo of it. “Let’s get you home.” He said and before I knew it we were back in my room.

He kissed my forehead and rubbed my cheek with his thumb. “If you need anything. You know what to do.” He said to me gently and he teleported away. A loud knock was heard on the door, followed by the door swinging open. I jumped back, my father came in, holding a beer in his hand. “WHO WERE YOU TALKING TO?!” His voice boomed and I jumped back, startled by this. “A-a f-friend!” I stammered, my back pressed against the wall. “ I TOLD YOU NO ONE IS ALLOWED IN THIS HOUSE!” He screamed and I flinched. I stayed silent, afraid if I said anything he’d do something. He came over to the bed, Towering over me, I avoided eye contact. “I-I’m sorry. I-” He grabbed my arm, pulling me off the bed. “Sorry?! Is that all you say?! You say sorry and yet you do it over and over!” He continued to yell, finally letting go of my arm. “Get your fucking ass to bed.” He growled at me, leaving the room and slamming the door shut. I breathed out. I got off the bed and grabbed a piece of paper, drawing that exact symbol that Jaime showed me. Suddenly he appeared and I ran to him and I just hugged him tightly. He wraps his arms around me. “Can you spend the night?” i asked him. “Yeah sure.” He said and sat down on the bed. I turned the lights off and we sat in the bed, cuddling. It was so peaceful, feeling his arms around me I felt safe and secure. Something I never felt before.

Jaime's pov

I was summoned back and I looked at her as she hugged me. Wrapping my arms around her, she asked me to stay. So I did. I got on the bed with her and laid down, holding her closely to me. She slowly drifted to sleep and I stayed up, watching the door. I didn't want anybody coming in and disturbing her. I ran my fingers through her short hair. "I won't let anything happen. I promise." I mumbled to her. I never realized what it was like to be a human. This girl didn't deserve the parents she had. Morning came and she started to wake up. She rolled over, facing me. I smiled. She looked so pretty. "Morning." I said softly. She stretched. "Good morning." She replied. I smiled at her. "You look cute when you first wake up, you know that.” Her cheeks turned red and she hit my chest with her palm. I chuckled. “Shut up. I’m not cute-” I cut her off. “Don’t ever say that about yourself, Sarani.” I rubbed her cheek with my thumb. “You are beautiful.” She looked away. “No I’m not, but sure. Whatever you say.” She grumbled, glancing at the door. “You should go. I don’t want them to see you.” I shrugged. “So what if they see me?” She glared at me and I sighed. “Okay. Okay. I’ll stop by later then.” I said, teleporting away.

Sarani’s pov

I got out of bed and opened the door. “Oh look, the bitch is finally awake.” Mother said and I ignored her, going downstairs and to the kitchen. My father came in with a white tank top and his belly sticking out from it. He had a pot belly. God, he was so disgusting looking. “You aren’t planning on eating, are you?” He asked and I sighed. “W-well yea. I did.” I looked at the fridge, opening it. He scoffed. “You shouldn’t be eating. You don’t want to end up fat would you?” I frowned. “Well, no..” I said softly. “But I’m hungry..” My mother came in as well, her heels clacking against the tile floor. “You don't need to eat, Rani. You’re fat enough.” I looked down, she was probably right, but I was tired of this. Tired of them always putting me down. I turned and looked at them. “Fuck you both!” I finally yelled, my father glared at me. “What the fuck did you say?” He growled. “I-I said fuck you!” He grabbed my arm tightly. “You are nothing but a piece of shit. I’m tired of this.” He started dragging me out of the kitchen. “No! Let go of me!” I yelled trying to pry his hand off my arm. He stopped and looked at me, I swallowed hard. Shit, I fucked up. A punch was delivered to my stomach, I hunched over in pain, coughing the wind taken out of me. The grip on my arm tightens. “Stop squirming!” He screamed, shaking me. “No! Let go of me!” I knew what he was doing. He was going to lock me in the basement all day. “I swear to god, Rani. SHUT UP!” He yelled, leading me to the door, opening and throwing me in. The door locked and I banged on it. Nobody answered and I slid down the door, sighing as I stood up, walking down the stairs. It felt like forever that I was in here. It was maybe an hour before Jaime suddenly appeared. I screamed and jumped back as he appeared in front of me. “God, you can’t do that.” He looked at me and frowned. “I’m sorry. I got worried and I didn’t see you in your room, so I went teleporting around the house. What happened, why are you here?” He started to go towards the door. “I’m going to kill that bastard.” I grabbed his hand, pulling him back. “Please, don't do anything. I’ll be okay. If you go out there I’ll just get in more trouble.” He looks at me and frowns. “Then I’m staying right here.”

I looked at him. He wasn’t going to leave me, it was clear. “Thank you.” I said. He smiled. “You don’t have to thank me. I told you I was going to be here for you.” He pulled me close and I placed my head on him. We spoke for what seemed like hours and I ended up falling asleep on him. Finally the door opened, I looked up and Jaime was gone. I rubbed my eyes, sitting up. He made his way downstairs. My mother was barely my worries. It was always my father. He stumbled down the stairs. Oh fuck, he was drunk. There was a beer in his hand. I tensed up as he made his way down. “Did you learn your lesson, Raini?” He asked me. I got up, trying to run to the door, but he grabbed me. “Obviously you didn’t. Of course you didn’t.” He scoffed, throwing me to the ground and he kicked me, I grunted. “Leave me alone!” I yelled at him, he punched me in the face, blood now running down my nose. I wiped it away and he took a swig of his beer before looking at it and bashing it over my head. I yelped, glass shattering all over the place. The glass from the beer shattering. This was my moment to get away, I thought. I grabbed a piece of glass and took a swing at him with it and cut his arm. “Ow! You little bitch!” He yelled, holding his arm. It wasn’t a deep cut but it was enough to cause some damage.

I ran up the stairs and closed the door, locking him in. I stood there, panting, my nose still dripping blood. I went to my room, closing and locking my door. I looked at the time, it was 5:00 in the afternoon. I went to the bathroom in my room, blood running down my nose, along with tears. “I-I can’t do this anymore.” I said, grabbing a tissue, pinching my nose with it, sitting down on the toilet seat. I heard the basement door open, he must have had a key to it or he picked it. I looked at the bathroom door and hid in the bathtub. “Rani! Get your ass out here now!” He yelled. I breathed heavily, my hand over my mouth. I almost never fought back, because I was always scared. But I was just tired of being thrown around. The door knob to the bedroom rattled. Then it slammed open. He was pissed. I could hear his footsteps come closer to the bathroom. He stopped at the bathroom door, hearing the door knob rattling, tears falling down my face as I shook in place. BANG. I jumped and he pulled the shower curtains back. He grinned, grabbing my arm and I started to scream and kick as he pulled me out. “I’m sorry! I’ll never defy you again! I promise!” I yelled and he grabbed my neck, he glared at me, feeling his hand tighten around my neck. I gasped for air, scratching at his hands. He had me pinned to the wall. I hated this man, I hated him so much. I was so done with him. So done with this life. I could feel my vision become blurry. Everything went black. I woke up hours later, shooting up, gasping for air and coughing. My neck hurts. Oh right. Now I remember. I looked around and punched the wall, starting to cry. “I-I Can’t do this anymore.” I punched the mirror with my hand, glass falling everywhere. I hesitated for a moment before making two cuts on my wrists, one on my left hand and one on my right hand, blood dripping from them. I drew the symbol with the blood and he appeared in front of me.

Jaime’s pov

I was summoned back and the sight I saw made my heart sink. She brought her bloody, shaky hand to my cheek. “It’s been a good run, demon.” She said before she collapsed from blood loss. My eyes widened. Catching her I acted quickly, searching through her drawers I found bandages and I took my shirt off, ripping it, tying it around her wrists trying to slow down the bleeding. Tears started to form in my eyes. “Please survive, I need you-” I said, wrapping the wrists with bandages. The bleeding started to slow down, I looked around my surroundings. She tried hiding and he found her. “BASTARD!” I screamed, standing up, I stormed downstairs, my true form showing. I was big and tall, my eyes started to turn to pools of darkness and two skeletal, ghostly flightless wings sprouted from my back. My skin was red and I had claws as hands. I stormed down the stairs and he came out. “You!” I growled. The man gasped, staring at me in awe, frozen in fear. I took my hand, slashing at his stomach. He started to bleed and I kicked him. “You don’t like it, do you?” I screamed, my voice distorted. “P-please, have mercy!” He exclaimed. “Mercy?!” I laughed. “People like you don't get mercy.” I slashed his neck and he gurgled, choking on his own blood. The mother stood there, gasping, her eyes wide, I just slashed her neck. And she died. I turned back to my human form and raced up the stairs, I had to take care of her.

I went to the bathroom, checking her pulse. It was there but it was weak. I picked her up and placed her on her bed, calling the cops, sounding panicked. I said I came in and found the parents dead and Sarani on the floor in a pool of blood with her wrists. They came and took the bodies out and took Sarani to the hospital. I came with them. She finally came to a couple hours later. She looked around and she frowned, looking at me. “No, No, Why’d you save me?” She asked. “I didn’t want to survive!” She cried. “They’ll make me go back with them!” She started to cry harder. I came over and looked at her. “No, No, don't cry. Please. I need you in my life, Sarani. You’re the only one I care about.” I whispered to her, wiping her tears but more came down her face. “They’re gone. They can’t hurt you.” I said to her, “They called your grandparents. They’re on their way here.” I tried to reassure her and she started to cry harder, reaching out and hugging me. I held her tightly.

Sarani’s pov

Two elderly people came through, calling my name. “Oh honey. I’m so sorry! I didn’t know what you were going through!” They exclaimed, wrapping their arms around me. They were my mother’s parents. I always got along with them. They were always so nice. They kissed and hugged me, apologizing. I sniffled. I was out of there. I was really out of that house. My grandmother looked at me. She ran a hand through my hair. “I didn’t know this was happening. I’m so, so sorry, honey..” She apologized again. “I-it’s okay. I’m okay now. I promise.” weeks went by and I was evaluated and they thought i was stable enough and so i went home with my grandparents. Everything was so much better now. I felt more happy, more free. I didn’t have to hide Jaime. The two of us walked through the park and we held hands and we stopped, sitting on the swings. “So why were you banished?” I asked. He sighed. "I was banished because I was too kind and wasn't as cold hearted as they wanted me to be." He started. "So When I got down to earth I was bitter and resentful." As we spoke, a symbol appeared below him, the symbol lit up and then suddenly he was gone-

Jaime's pov

One minute I was with Sarani and then the next a symbol was below me and I disappeared. I was in a room. Oh fuck i thought to myself. I know where I was. The room was dark, pictures of the higher up demon’s hanging on the wall. “Apollyon.” That was my demon name. Someone's voice boomed, I looked forward, it was the man himself. The devil. “You were banished to earth because you could not kill. You were too nice. Now that you have killed, you may choose to take a form. You now have a choice.” The devil spoke. I tensed up. Options? Oh no, what were the options? Fear ran through my body. Would I never be able to see Sarani again? “You may choose between being a demon or a human. If you choose to be a demon you may never go back to earth again. However if you were to be a human you would be on earth forever.” I spoke quickly. “I want to be a human.” I said. And with that he snapped his fingers and I was back in front of Sarani. She hugged me. “Where did you go!?” She exclaimed. I smiled widely. “I was pulled down to hell. They asked if I wanted to be a human or a demon and I chose to be a human, so I can be with you.” She squealed happily and hugged me. I looked at her, cupping her cheeks. I kissed her and she kissed back. I was left with my symbol, to remember my time as a demon.

Not that long ago a long-time friend of mine visited me one Friday. Standing over the sink as I washed the dishes after our dinner I heard a knock on the door. It was not the loud, brazen knock I had grown to expect. This rapping carried with it a rather timid timbre but, I knew who it was. I shook my head with a resolve to pretend not to hear it but he would have nothing to do with that. He rang the bell and I could no longer feign my ignorance of his beckoning.

"I knew it was you," I muttered as I cracked the door just enough for him to show himself in.

"I know," Death whispered almost apologetically as he closed the door behind himself following me into the kitchen. Cold was his stare to my back and I thanked God for the warmth of the water on my hands and forearms.

"What are they to do now?" I asked his reflection in the window. "You realize that his son needs to leave school. Surely you know how young he was. Are you moving them along in their faith? Are you inviting me to pray more? Couldn't he have just been injured? Would not that have been disruptive enough?"

"Shhhh...." he admonished. "Don't you hear what He's saying?"

"Oh your awful, deafening wake, was that to silence me? Was that the care you bring to my soul to show me the Father? This? This is your lot? This is mine?"

Taking stock of my demeanor my humiliated friend found his way even closer to me and reached for my shoulder. I recoiled and stiffened my neck towards him. Retreating to the head of my table and sitting in my chair he placed his hand on his chin as he fixed his gaze on me a while longer. Breaking the silence far too early Death signaled that he wouldn't leave me alone.

"Will you quiet yourself and allow me to serve you? Or will you continue to shake your fist and wag your head at me? Let me show you His gift. Let me show you what only I can."

I straightened my back and dried my hands issuing an invitation. "You can go now..." I started as tears welled in my eyes.

"No. No I can't. I dare not beg my leave of you. He won't have it. Not yet anyway," came the retort as he lightly shook and cast his eyes to the floor.

"You weren't there from the beginning. How could you be part of the plan?" I countered knowing that it was somewhat useless to argue.

"You and I know that. But what of me now? What day goes by that I am not pressed to serve?"

He was an excellent servant. I had to admit the walls he built were fine walls so very thick and tall. Many were the mornings that I sat in their shadow admiring them and thankful that they restrained horrors that sought my soul. I shot a strong glance toward him.

"Then teach," I sneered through clenched teeth.

"Sit with me," he invited pushing the chair from the table with his foot. Placing myself to his left Death reached out his hand. As I brushed against it I felt its familiar sting and burn. I winced and tried not to cry out. "Hold onto it. Feel its fullness," he pleaded.

I wrapped my fingers between his pressing our palms together. His bony, barely skinned hands made me take a sudden deep breath and though there was the growing taste of honey in my mouth I dared not swallow.

"Please," he begged closing his eyes so that he would not have to look at me, "please let me show you wonderful things."

Broken and abandoned to him I shivered as I pictured the two of them, their farm, their children. "Do it quickly," I begged.

"No," my friend, Death, answered barely audibly. "I can only do it well."

As his hand enveloped mine his instruction began.

(Concept based on a true, personal event.)

It was time…

“… to PARTY!”

A young woman with black, frizzy, curly hair bounced from the living room to the conjoined kitchen in her best friend’s apartment. Her bright green eyes were darting about wildly as she grabbed orange and black confetti from a plastic pumpkin bucket in the kitchen and started throwing them around. The confetti and glitter were sticking to her black and purple witch-cat hybrid costume, her purple and black striped tights, black cat tail, black long gloves, and purple knee-high dress shimmered with glitter. Her purple hat with fluffy black cat ears poking out of the brim had streamers hanging from the edges. To match her look, she had black lipstick, eyeliner wings, purple and pink eyeshadow, draw-on whiskers and nose, and she had in eye contacts to have bright yellow cat eyes. Her pink bows situated on her gown and hat were starting to undo themselves from her frantic movements, her black dress shoes practically unnoticeable under all the mess she had been making.

“Lizzy, stop!” Another young woman with long blonde hair in a high ponytail stomped from the corridor and into the living room, her blue eyes staring through her friend. Unlike her friend, she was dressed in blue and green pajamas. “Are you gonna clean this up?” She pointed to the mess all over the floor, the darker colored streamers and other such party crafts littered the carpet. She can only imagine how difficult it was going to be to get the glitter out of the floor.

Lizzy looked at the mess and squeaked in surprise, her hands coming up to hide her mouth. She saw that the carpet was hardly viewable through the mess she made and she apologetically looked up at her friend, as if to say sorry with puppy-dog eyes. Lizzy put her hands on the blonde’s shoulders and gave her a very subdued look, her brow raised to try and reassure with a much calmer, soothing voice than what their neighbors above likely heard. “Look, Jane. You know I can clean better than you. I know how to get glitter out of carpet. Just get a balloon and collect it all with static electricity. And whatever doesn’t come up, just use the vacuum’s handheld brush attachment.” Lizzy stared seriously at Jane, but her face softened from her sternness. “Besides, you need to liven up a little. Halloween is going to be so fun. You just need to maybe do a bit of trick or treating.”

Jane scoffed and rolled her eyes. “Right. That’s for kids.”

A gasp of shock and disbelief came from her friend and, once again, Lizzy interrupted her friend’s path. “But girl, you are pale as a ghost. You need to get out more.”

“Yeah, and how am I supposed to get a tan in the middle of night on a cloudy day? Hell, even if I do go in the middle of the day or the evening, it’s not like I’m going to get any darker.” She glared at her friend. The fact that her skin tone was darker made Jane a little jealous. “Besides, you know how badly I burn. You can be outside all day and not have to worry about putting on sunscreen. Meanwhile, I have to worry about getting a burn in twenty minutes.”

“Quit overexaggerating.” It was Lizzy’s turn to sigh in exasperation as she allowed her friend to get into the kitchen to mix the wrapped candies and chocolate in a large bowl. “Look, I get it. We’re both in our early twenties and you’re a shut-in.” Jane glared at Lizzy for calling her a that, but she stayed tight-lipped. “We should be too old for this, but I’m not going to let my age destroy any fun I have. Besides, you just need to make it more adult. Like add alcohol or really cute and sexy men. Ohh! Maybe they’ll be shirtless!” Lizzy giggled while Jane’s lip curled up in disgust and she turned to Lizzy, a hand on the counter and the other on her hip.

“Liz, I’m not interested in anyone like that. You know how I am. I don’t find those kinds of men attractive.”

“Nooo, of course you don’t. You don’t like the confident people.” Lizzy threw her hands up in the air, but grinned as she gazed back at Jane, who was glaring at her now.

“I don’t find being half-naked in public a show of confidence. There’s other ways to show it but showing off your body like that in public looks more like they are overcompensating by using sexual appeal to make up for their emotional immaturity.”

Lizzy scoffed and shook her head. She threw her hands in the air and walked into the living room. “I’m done with your stubbornness. You can’t just overanalyze everyone like that. What if you’re wrong?”

Jane shrugged. “Then I’m wrong and I can add a bit more to my list of people to watch out for.”

“Must be a mile long by now.” Lizzy mumbled.

“What was that?” Jane raised an eyebrow and Lizzy giggled both from her nerves and from her mischief.

“Nooothing. OH!” To distract themselves from the topic, Lizzy grabbed Jane’s hand and dragged her to the living room. “I got something to show you!”

“Is it how much more of a mess you can make? You’ve shown me that at least a thousand times.”

“No, no, no. It’s…” Lizzy trailed off with her finger up, forcing Jane to wait as her frizzy-haired friend jumped to her backpack excitedly and pulled out a few pictures. They seemed to be printed on regular printer paper, from what Jane can deduce. The pictures were then thrusted in Jane’s face and she had to pull her head away so she can see what her friend was so desperate to show her.

It was just pictures of some guys.

“What’s this?”

“Do you not recognize them?” Lizzy stared at Jane as if she just sprouted two heads. “They were the guys we met that one day. Remember?” Jane still gave her a blank, stoic look. Lizzy sighed in annoyance. “Oh my god, you’re nuts. Okay, these cute boys we found at that Halloween bar, remember?”

As Lizzy waited patiently, Jane’s gaze became distant as she recollected what they did a week prior. She and Lizzy went to the bar to drink a few drinks and have some fun (or whatever Lizzy called it), and they were greeted by three young men. Two of them were obviously twins. They both had the same side-swept bang style, the same shade of auburn, the same inky blackness for eye color, the same towering height, the same build, even their clothes were strikingly similar. They wore the same faded jeans, black sneakers, and blue-green plaid jacket. The only difference was one had their jacket unbuttoned, a white shirt underneath. Their names escaped her, but their personalities were different at least.

There was that one man though. He claimed to be the twins’ best friend, and it showed. He could tell them apart so easily, even if they tried acting like the other twin. He had unkempt brown hair cut short, steely grey eyes that Jane swore can see through her very soul, her height give or take a couple inches, and he wore a modest white dress shirt tucked into blue jeans held up with an ordinary belt. The one thing that surprised her was that he wore cowboy boots, and not the intricate kinds people wore and paraded around to feel like a cowboy, despite how uncomfortable they were. They were authentic, they had scuff marks, they looked like they walked a thousand miles and were still going strong. His name was easier to remember, being Hank. Lizzy joked how even his name screamed that he was a farm boy if his broad shoulders and lean muscle didn’t give it away, but there was just something about him that was alluring. It drove Jane mad. And not the crazy kind.

She was upset with herself. For being unable to think about anything else but him unless Lizzy was being particularly annoying.

He was just so sweet and courteous and-

“Heyyyy, Earth to Jaaaane.”

Jane refocused herself, her eyes darting to a Lizzy’s hand frantically waving in front of her. She straightened herself up and cleared her throat. “Uh, yeah.” She looked to see Liz’s eyes bugging out of her head with her mouth slowly gaping bigger. Jane’s own eyes widened but with a stern stare as she tried to assert herself with a finger up. “No-”

“I caught you daydreaming. You do like one of them. Which one is it? Ooohh, someone’s captured my best friend’s heart!” Lizzy squealed and bounced on her toes, her hands clasped together and held close to her chest.

“Shut it, Liz. I just…” Jane sighed and bit her lip. “It’s Hank.”

“I knew it! Honestly, I thought you’d pick one of the twins, but I can see why you don’t want to. Sometimes, I’d wonder if they’ve dated anyone and if they’ve ever shared girls.”

“Ewww, that’s gross.” Jane’s voice went up several octaves as she curled her lip in disgust and looked away, crossing her arms. “Why would you even-… Never mind.” Jane shook her head and sighed. “Look, I get you want to spend time with me. I’m just not feeling Halloween right now. I’ll be fine. Besides, I prefer staying home and giving out candy. Someone has to do it, and I don’t want people stealing my whole bowl full of candy before I get back. You know people don’t follow those ‘pick only one handful’ signs. You hardly follow them yourself.” She gave Liz a pointed look, and her eyes faltered to the floor for a moment before looking back up at her closed-off friend.

“Alright, fine. I’ll leave you alone and you can party here by yourself. I figured you wouldn’t want to come out and hang but can’t knock me for trying.” Liz ruffled Jane’s hair, earning a slap on the wrist for her slight patronizing hair ruffle. “I’ll go have fun with the boys then if you’re not coming along. Maybe I’ll ask Hank to come by and make sure you’re okay and not too lonely.” Liz teased, winking at Jane. Jane’s face became a beet red as she shot up straighter than a bullet, her fists clenched, shoulders hunched, and teeth gritted.

“Liz…” The blonde started, the annoyance rising in her tone.

“Oooh, scary. You don’t need a costume if you can just do that. Though, you’ll end up scaring the children.” Liz put a finger on her chin, pondering her friend’s new ‘look’.

“Liz.” Jane uttered, an edge to her voice that made Liz flinch.

“Ouch, okay, fine. I’ll go. If you need me, we’ll be in the neighborhood. Just don’t forget to call. And if I need you, I’ll call. Okay?”

Liz’s constant reassurances would be great if Jane wasn’t pestered with her lame jokes and teasing beforehand. She rolled her eyes and nodded, grumbling to herself about how annoying friends were. She can hear Liz grab her coat and a pillowcase, jingling the keys to the apartment as she approached the door. “Love you, boo.”

“Yeah, you, too.” Jane droned, hearing the apartment door lock as her friend ran up the stairs for some fun with their new friends.

Sighing, Jane got up and scowled at the mess at her feet. “Damn it, Liz…” Looking at the clock on her oven, she had a few hours to clean up the mess and get ready. After vacuuming her floor and taking Liz’s godsent advice to get rid of the rest of the glitter in the carpet, she got cleaned and ready for Halloween. She might as well get dressed up. No point in wasting the costume she bought just to have it sit in her closet, collecting dust.

When she came out of the bedroom after getting herself ready, she was wearing ranger gear from her D&D character. A simple, long-sleeved, dirt brown tunic, green pants that have seen better days, moccasins, and a black cloak. She had a wooden toy bow and arrows, but they were relatively cheap and looked bad, so she didn’t bother having them out with her. She did have a satchel slung over her shoulder and she put on elf ears and a wig of long, sleek, black hair to complete her look.

Now that her ensemble was complete, she needed to sit at the door or at least have the candy ready while she relaxed. Taking the large bowl of candy bits, she set it on a stool next to the front door and went to relax on the couch and read her book.

The lands of the winter wonderland that was Narnia, her favorite book to read, had casted quite the spell on her. She had fallen asleep but woke up with a jolt when she heard frantic knocking. Looking at her phone, she had fallen asleep for just twenty minutes. Putting down her book, she quickly made her way to the door. After waking herself up by widening her eyes, she opened the door to see a young child in a red Power Rangers suit.

“Trick or treat!” The kid practically yelled at her, and all she can do was smile. It was rather annoying, but she tried her best to be nice.

“Awww, you’re cute.” She pulled out her bowl and dropped candy in his black, plastic pumpkin bucket. The kid ran off, going up the stairs to leave the ground floor apartment threshold. Jane leaned out of her door, watching the kid run back to his mother, who was wearing a witch’s costume, and left with him in hand. The chill in the autumnal air, the smell of the dead leaves… It all felt nice. If only there weren’t that many people around, she’d enjoy it more.

She looked over to see other kids leave the apartments above her, going down the steps until they hit the path leading parallel with the road. A robot, some anime reference she didn’t get, and a dinosaur. Crazy kids. Looking at her magenta door, she saw there was a new addition of plastic spiders within her fake webbing. Oh, Liz.

She noticed there was a spider over her spyglass. Tilting her head, she pulled the spider off and stuck it somewhere else. “Odd. Maybe Liz just forgot the peephole existed.” That didn’t make any sense, but it was enough for Jane to rationalize out loud that it could have just been there on mistake. Closing her door, she went back to her couch, only to stand up shortly after to another knock at the door.

Another kid. This time, Superman. After giving him a handful of candy, she looked to see someone in a hoodie and jeans far off in the distance. He seemed to be going for the ‘loner high schooler’ look. She didn’t pay him any mind, as it looked like he was waiting for someone. She closed the door and sat back down on the couch. She managed to read a good portion of her book when she heard excited knocking on her door.

Having the sixth sense it was Liz, Jane opened the door to see her alone. She had a wide smile though, so she must have been having fun. At least, Jane thought.

“Hey, Jane. I uh… Have you seen Hank? I think he might have ran off, but I haven’t been able to find him.” Liz looked a little worried, her brows furrowed and her bucket swayed.

Jane shook her head. “I don’t think he’s been around here. What does he look like?”

Liz just shrugged. “I don’t know. The twins think he’s cosplaying as Conan, but I can’t be too sure.”

Jane snorted and shook her head. Of course. He was dressed up as a half-naked, barbaric man. “Oh, well. I won’t know until I see it.” She had a strained smile, like she was trying to hide her amusement.

Lizzy noticed this and recalled to earlier when they had this conversation. “And what about you saying you don’t like confident, half-naked men?”

“Shut up.” Jane gave her a pointed look, and Lizzy relented, continuing.

“Well, the twins are dressed up like Mario and Luigi. They are going to be egging houses if they don’t get treats, so I’m going to join in.” Liz giggled, holding up her hands to her face with glee.

“Well, just don’t get salmonella or caught. I’ll just be here.” Jane tried shooing her friend away, but Liz just shook her head.

“Come on, you should join us, it’ll be fun! You’re all dressed up and everything, too.” Liz begged, but Jane shook her head.

“No, I feel content waiting and reading. Sorry, I just don’t want to be out right now.” Jane stood firm, making Liz give up with an exasperated sigh.

“Fiiiiine. If you get bored, you know who to call.” Liz winked before jumping up the stairs and down the sidewalk. Jane leaned over to see the twins comically dressed up like the Mario Brothers, the Mario one wearing a fat suit. Jane scoffed with amusement before retreating into her comfortable abode.

Time to read.

Jane had fallen asleep again reading her book. It was starting to get late so, when she woke up, she was startled to see it was already midnight. There probably were some disappointed costumed guests and she just hoped nobody would egg or prank her tonight for that. She held a hand to her head.

It throbbed painfully.

Groaning, Jane got up and got some medicine. She swallowed a couple of pills dry and held her head up as if tilting her head back would alleviate the pain.

Knock, knock.

They were odd knocks. Jane suddenly felt something was off with this one, but maybe she was just overthinking things. Most of the knocks lacked any bass or oomph, as they were all made by kids. This sounded like an adult. Which was odd, considering she’s never had many adults come by her door. She walked up and looked through the peephole, making sure it wasn’t anyone creepy.

Nothing. Just the stairs and the bit of the world she shut herself away so often from.

She opened the door carefully and peeked outside. Still nothing. No one was hiding in the stairs either. The hooded figure from earlier seemed to have disappeared, too. He was the only one who struck Jane as odd, but she was glad she was finally alone. She closed the door and locked it, hopefully she can sleep tonight. She didn’t know how long she should stay awake for, but now that she was getting more and more tired, she was thinking of retiring earlier than she had thought.

Jane had this odd feeling like she was being watched as she read her book though. It was subtle, but it was starting to ruin her immersion. She looked over to see her blinds covering her sliding glass door that led to the apartment’s grassy property and over to the community mailbox. There were a few gaps between the blinds, but she was certain that the light back there was on and was able to capture any object there. Or person.

She saw nothing. Or at least, it was too dark to see anything.

Her thoughts went to Hank. Maybe he was the man in the hoodie. She wouldn’t be surprised. The two hit it off quickly and, while nothing was set in stone, maybe it was Hank just trying to have a bit of fun. Scare her even. Besides, the outfit was pretty simple to put on.

Still, something about it didn’t seem right. She looked towards the window sitting next to the front door. The dirt came up to the window, and the blinds were up. Normally, she should be able to see branches in the porchlight, but she didn’t see anything. Granted, it was too dark out to see. Yet, she felt like she was being watched all the while.

Knock, knock, knock.

They sounded harder. Like they were trying to get her attention. Jane rushed to the door and looked through the spyglass, hoping to see the ding-dong ditcher. However, they were too fast. And silent. She didn’t even hear them run up the stairs. Mouth partially open and breaths slow and deliberate, she peered through the little peephole for far longer than normal. It was starting to hurt keeping her other eye shut as she just stared through for minutes on end, each second feeling like torture.

Why would they do this? Were they trying to get her to open the door?

Giving up and not being able to see anything, Jane went back to her couch and reluctantly read her book.

More knocking.

She ignored it this time. But whoever was tormenting her was persistent and they soon knocked several more times. After ten minutes of her doing nothing but staring at her book, too weirded out to retain a word, her head jolted up hearing frantic knocking. She got up this time and checked the door. Only to see it was dark.

She literally couldn’t see out of her saving grace and she backed up, her steps faltering. Maybe someone was watching her. Who could have known she was staring through her peephole for that long just to cover it up and spite her? Quickly, Jane pulled down the blinds for the window and rushed to her sliding glass door and tapped the blinds with a shaky finger to block out any potential gaps.

She went back to her living room, too frozen to do anything and too anxious to sit down.

Knock.

Knock.

Who was taunting her? Jane’s hands became clammy as they shook. She went down the corridor to her bedrooms, hoping to see who it was through the windows. Off to the left was a longer corridor that led to a guest room where Liz commonly slept in. The door was open and Jane peered through. She was glad that her hallway light was off because she heard grass crunching beneath shoes.

Then a man around her height passed by the window.

He seemed to have short hair, medium build, but she couldn’t tell what color or what clothes he was wearing. He seemed to be wearing a hoodie, but she couldn’t be sure. He walked around the apartment complex. Her apartment complex.

Who was this man?

Jane went to her phone and tried to call Liz, her mind going a million miles per hour and yet it was numb and she couldn’t think. However, the phone’s dial tone was interrupted immediately with an automated voice. Jane didn’t wait to hear what the robot lady was saying, she knew Liz was either in trouble or she forgot to charge her phone again.

But she couldn’t leave her own home. Her sanctuary. Yet, she couldn’t help but feel like her own living space was used against her as she started to feel like things were getting smaller. She had nowhere to run, but she was trapped in her own little fur-lined cage.

She should call the cops…

But what if it was just a prankster? Would the cops even come? It’s Halloween!

Still, it was nearing 1:30 am. It was late enough for the cops to be involved, right? Besides, no person would ever want to play a dangerous game of “The Big, Bad Wolf” with people and bait them to open their doors, right? Why would anyone just cover the spyglass like that?

Jane ripped off her wig, undid her bun, and ran her fingers through her blonde hair. She had to think of something. Fast. Else she’ll go insane.

Her hands wanted to open the door, to see who was bothering her. Everything in her mind was screaming at her to not go towards the door anymore. Don’t touch the handle. She decided to see if maybe the sound of her clicking her door unlocked will attract any attention. Jane slowly walked over to her door handle and looked through the spyglass, only to be reminded that one of her own plastic spiders was in the way. Silently cursing to herself, she held the door handle steady and clicked the lock open.

She waited.

And waited.

Silence.

A footstep.

Jane quickly locked it up and there was even more banging. Harsher this time, as if they were really trying to bust through with anger. Jane stumbled back and hit the backs of her thighs against the couch. Someone was trying to break in and hurt her. This definitely was not a prankster. Who would go this far for so long? Body quaking as the silence stretched, Jane stumbled her way into her bedroom, only to see that her window was being pushed open. Someone had taken out her screen! She gasped in fear as she saw someone wanting inside.

However, after hearing the bedroom door opening, the fingers that she saw peeking over the edge of her window disappeared. Her two windows were on the same corner, and her bed sat underneath them both. She sneaked over to the foot of her bed and carefully climbed on, thankful that the blinds for these windows were only half down. With both hands on the window, she pushed it shut suddenly and locked it. She heard a rough grunt and she looked out to see a man struggling, a finger having been caught. He managed to pull away, the window shutting further with a dull thunk. The man rushed out of her line of sight, holding his hand to his chest.

Was he trying to stop her from closing her window? Who was this creep?

It was then Jane realized that this man couldn’t have done this in a spur of the moment. He must have lived nearby, and he must have been watching her for so long. Who knew what he could have seen through the gaps of her blinds while Jane thought she was alone in the comforts of her own home?

Jane didn’t think that a peeping tom of all people would end up trying to kill her.

Having had enough, Jane called the police phone number for her area. With a paranoid mind, Jane went through the automated messaging system and got someone on the line, the woman’s voice calm and articulate.

“Hello, Clackamas County Office, this is Alice speaking.”

Jane spoke in a hurry, her voice quaking and cracking from trepidation. “Hello, Alice. This is Jane. My address is- Oh!” Jane jumped as she heard more frantic knocking at her door. Shivering, she repeated her address three times for the lady. “Alice, there is this crazy man checking to see if I’m awake and knocking on my door and trying to get into my window. My apartment is on the ground floor and he’s just walking around the complex. He tried to get through my window…!”

“It’s okay, Jane. I got you. You said he has been knocking on your door and trying to get through your window. And that he’s reaching you because you’re on the ground floor, is that correct?”

“Yes.” Jane’s eyes darted between her door and the windows, leaning out of the corridor to see her sliding glass door. There was a gap she missed, but she was interrupted by another question.

“Do you know what he looks like?”

“I don’t know, he looks like a man my height, around 5’06”, and he’s got short hair and a medium build. I can’t tell the rest, it’s too dark.”

“So, you can’t tell what color shirt he’s wearing?”

“No, but I know he’s got on a hoodie. I think he might have been watching me for a while, but between that and a prankster or someone who actually wants to hurt me, I don’t know. I didn’t want to call 911 thinking it wasn’t something bad, but now that it’s escalated, I-…”

“Does he have a weapon on him?”

“I don’t know, I couldn’t tell. What the fuck is that?” Jane jumped as she saw the figure looking through the gap in the sliding glass door. She locked eyes (or where he would have eyes) with the man. He looked to be resting his arm against the glass and peering in. He must have seen her on the phone because the man left.

“What’s going?”

“He-, I, I just saw him peering through my sliding glass door. I have the blinds in the way, I just forgot to close a gap. Oh, and he put one of my plastic spiders over the spyglass, so I can’t see who it is.”

“Don’t worry, ma’am. I dispatched an officer to your location. He should come back in ten minutes. You understand?”

Jane nodded but realized Alice couldn’t probably see that. “Yes, thank you.”

“Is that all? Want me to stay on the line?”

Jane was about to say ‘no’, but she looked back into Liz’s room. She saw him take off the screen. “NO!” Jane rushed over to the window and dropped her phone, pushing the window down with all her might and then making sure it was locked. There was only one window to worry about in this room. The man, seeing her blocking his advances, hit the window with his fist.

Jane crashed to the floor and she stumbled to her feet. She ran off to check the other window in her bedroom, making sure that was locked, which it was. She then checked the window by the door and the sliding glass door. After locking them all, she tapped a blind to close the gap and she trembled. Her lip quivered.

She’s never been so scared in her life.

She grabbed her phone, reassured Alice she was okay, and she shakily made her way to the living room.

The next ten minutes were the most grueling minutes Jane had ever gone through. Jane was curled up in a ball against the wall, her thoughts wondering who was going to miss her if she ended up not making out of this one alive. How would Liz react? What about Hank? Or the twins? Her family? Would she become another statistic or would she be remembered? She wasn’t like Liz. She didn’t socialize or go out and party. She’ll be forgotten as the cute shut-in who has a stick up her ass.

Jane hesitantly walked over to her spyglass, the wait killing her.

She was able to see through. And the deputy was here.

She opened the door quickly and smiled at him warily, though her eyes darted towards the darkness.

“Hello, miss. You Jane?”

“Yes, I called for a disturbance. I couldn’t tell who it was, but he had short hair and I couldn’t tell if he was some prankster kid, but it seemed like he was trying to lure me out, so I don’t know.” Jane shivered uncontrollably, her teeth chattered, and not from the cold. The deputy looked at her sympathetically and kept an eye out in the darkness.

“Well, I can do a sweep around the area and stay for a while.”

Jane remembered how the man caught her on the phone and she trembled. “I’m not sure if he’s around anymore. If he’s smart, he’d be long gone by now, since he saw me on the phone calling you guys. But thank you.” Jane’s breathing slowed but was still shaky as the man welcomed her and left to go search the complex.

The young blonde closed her door and locked it before surveying her home, getting suspicious that someone might be here or that the man had sneaked in here without her knowing. She grabbed a stick to defend herself as she checked every room and closet, making sure nobody else was here.

After making sure everything was clear, Jane sat back down on the couch and looked at the time. It was almost two. The adrenaline was making it difficult for her to relax and she had to stand up and pace. A half an hour went by.

Silence.

Jane dragged her fingers through her hair and chuckled before laughing almost hysterically, her pitch rising as she realized how close she was to possible death.

A few quiet knocks were at her door and she jolted upright. She checked the spyglass and it was Liz. Liz and the Mario Brothers and Hank as Conan. Sighing in relief, Jane opened the door to let her friends in. However, Liz stopped in her tracks when she saw the distraught look on her friend’s face.

“Were you crying? You okay? You’re not one to show much emotion.”

“Oh, I… I didn’t realize I cried.” Jane wiped away her tear stain. “Just come in.” Liz gave her friend a concerned look before walking in, the boys also giving her odd stares before following suit. Once they were all inside, Jane leaned against the wall, her hand through her hair.

“Jane, you okay?”

“Yeah, just… Probably a prankster.”

The men and Liz looked at each other with rising concern. Liz then got closer to Jane, her brows furrowed in possible anger besides obvious worry. “Hey, tell us.”

Jane recounted what had happened. How odd it was that someone would spend so much time in trying to get her to come to the door and possibly open it, even going so far as to cover the spyglass. She said she thought it was Hank but realized too quickly that it wasn’t him. Looking at him now, Hank was a little more muscular than him and had better looking hair.

The twin dressed up as Luigi crossed his arms. “Sounded like he was trying to lure you to open the door so he can run in here and steal your stuff. Or kill you. Or… Other things.” He shifted uneasily and looked away. Hank came up and put a hand on her shoulder, easing her trembling a little.

“Hey, it’s okay. We’re here now. We were thinking about watching some scary movies, but how about we do something else instead? I’m certain you won’t be able to sleep all that well tonight, so don’t worry about. We’ll help keep you up until you feel safe enough to sleep.”

Jane looked up at his sweet eyes and smiled weakly. Liz caught her friend nearly swooning and she tried so hard not to make a joke right now. Jane nodded softly. “Okay. I can do that. Thank you. All of you.” She looked towards everyone, but let her sights linger on Hank a little longer.

Was that a blush on his cheeks? Why was he smiling like that?

Liz sat beside her best friend and the Mario twin, while Hank sat on the other side of Jane. One question Jane had while Liz was joking about living here full-time was if the man lived here, then how close? Would he try again if given the chance? Was he obsessed with her like all those true crime documentaries she’s watched too much of? Yet, he was eerily familiar in a way, but she couldn’t pinpoint as to why. Did he get caught out there, yet?

Who was he?

Last edited:
Vignettes of a Civilized Zentradi #7

A long time ago, Purr Purr was kind enough to include me in his Robotech: Broadsword game. The questions he asked for character creation got me thinking about my character's backstory in a deeper way than one usually does for games that often don't last beyond a few months. I wrote a series of shorts for my character, defining some key moments in her past. After all these years, the Fall/Halloween theme for this month's writing contest kickstarted some inspiration and led me to write another.

My thanks to Dannigan for helping me bring to life Neqel Amherst, and my gratitude to you Chordling Chordling for finding a way to motivate me so long after the fact.

Robotech can be found online, though this story shouldn't require much knowledge of the fandom. The other, earlier Vignettes I wrote can be found right here on Fanfiction.net.

Neqel Amherst heard the thundering of three teenagers descending a flight of stairs from all the way outside on the porch. It brought a sigh of resignation from her lungs before they even opened the door.

"MOM!"

At once, she was surrounded by the eager embrace of her children. Nathan was sixteen now, Joy fourteen and Eliot twelve. And yet their eyes were alight at the sight of her, their delight evident in their open expressions. Such emotion.

The Zentraedi weren't like this. From a race of warriors grown and indoctrinated in tanks, Neqel had never had a childhood. Never had this range of emotion, would never have so openly displayed it. She still couldn't. Not like a Micronian could, anyway. But then, her children were Richard's children too and he was Micronian. Human. Four years now since he perished fighting valiantly against cancer. All she had left were her wedding ring, and memories, and these three most precious creatures pressing in on her from all sides.

"Enough of that," Neqel said to her children, though she said it with a gentle smile. She'd learned to smile over the last seventeen years of living among the Micronians, ever since the Micronians defeated her race in the Robotech War. Smiling made the humans more...comfortable. Comfort was just as foreign as emotion to the Zentraedi race. But comfortable humans were less dangerous humans and the Micronian race had amply demonstrated their fighting ability.

She didn't smile to make her children comfortable, though.

"Nathan, it's Halloween, where's your costume?" she asked.

"I'm going to a party with my, uh, with Kimberly. She's making my costume. I mean, she made it, she's bringing it over when she picks me up for the party."

Nathan's face showed the telltale signs of exertion and adrenaline. Had he just come from battle? No, he had the look of a warrior about to begin a fight. Which meant...

"Very well. Do you plan to initiate courtship rituals with Kimberly?"

"What? No!" Nathan's cheeks heated further. "I-"

"You aren't old enough or ready enough for marriage," Neqel continued. "But no warrior wins a fight without training. Train with her if you wish, so long as you are cautious. Even in training, accidents can happen."

Nathan just rolled his eyes, a telltale sign that she was being 'ridiculous'. But then he peeled off to head back in the house while Joy and Eliot each took one of her hands, tugging her in.

The interior of her in-laws residence was well appointed, of finer quality by Micronian standards than the house she'd shared with their son Richard. An entryway led to a small central room with a flight of stairs on the right heading upwards. The kitchen lay ahead and the living room to the left. Naturally, Henry Amherst stood in the living room, looking expectant. He had a small round glass filled with a brown colored alcohol in one hand. The other hand stayed in his pocket.

He did not hug her.

"Joy and Eliot, why don't you say goodbye to your grandmother before we go?"

The prospect of imminent trick-or-treating was enough to peel her other two offspring away as well. They thundered through the doorway into the kitchen. Neqel smiled again to see them go. Then she turned to face Henry Amherst squarely.

"Sir."

"So nice to see you, Kelly," her father-in-law said with an easy, jovial tone in his voice. His expression was equally easy and jovial, except it didn't reach his eyes. For many years, she hadn't understood the difference. Neqel recognized the chill now, though.

"And you," she returned.

"Tactical Corp Recon Patrol seems to agree with you."

Neqel narrowed her eyes at the observation. Henry had no love for the Army of the Southern Cross. Another issue to divide them, then? And she'd hoped they'd made progress last Christmas.

"Yes, sir," she replied. "It's the most skilled labor I can do, to provide for my family."

"We're taking good care of Richard's kids, Kelly," Henry said, narrowing his own eyes in return. This nonverbal dueling had gone on for years between them and she was no stranger to his expressions or how he maneuvered in a conversation. "They have their own rooms, food and clothing, everything they need."

Neqel wanted to kill this man for his presumption. Who was he to say what their needs were? She might be as minaturized as a Micronian now but she was Zentraedi. Her children were half-Zentraedi. He had no understanding of that. Had no interest in understanding that.

He also wasn't held to a promise.

"Promise me you won't fight my parents."

"...Why would I?"

"They're going to have a hard time, losing their only child. They may say things that are cruel and unkind. I need you to forgive them."

Forgiveness. Another concept as foreign to the Zentraedi as love. As transformative as love, with all of love's compelling power and more precious for its rarity. The Robotech War had gone on for three years, ending eighteen years ago, and many Micronains had lost family in the conflict. Not the Amhersts, though. Their son did something worse than die at the hands of the Zentraedi. He'd taken a Zentraedi's hand in marriage. Richard had asked her to forgive his parents, a Micronian sentiment, when these Micronians hadn't been able to experience such sentiment themselves despite eighteen years of exposure to her.

But she'd given her word she would honor Richard's last wish.

"Someday," Neqel said at last, speaking slowly as she carefully chose her words. "Nathan, Joy and Eliot will be adults. If they attend college, they will need their tuition paid for. They may want somewhere to stay if and when they visit. If and when they marry and have families of their own who want to visit."

"They have everything they need," Henry Amherst repeated, his voice sharper despite the calming drink in his hand. "Here. We'll give them wonderful lives, Kelly. You don't need to take time away from your military duties like this."

"Even soldiers are allowed leave," Neqel said. "Even the Army of the Southern Cross permits its enlisted their families. They are mine. As are you."

Henry straightened a little at that last remark, plainly taken aback. Had she not said so before? Surely she had...

"Richard is your son," she continued, despite the reflexive grimace that came over the older Micronian whenever her husband came up in conversation. "Everything he came from, sir, came from you and your wife. I loved Richard. Even eighteen years after the survivors of my people settled among yours, very few have come to love anyone the way I loved Richard. I see him when I look at our children. And I see him now, sir, when I look at you."

"...Yes, well I-" Henry squirmed in place, fidgeting with his discomfort.

"The courts awarded you custody of our children after Richard's death. I never contested that result." Because no Micronian court would ever give sole custody of children to a Zentraedi. Instead, Neqel said, "Because I knew you loved them too. Because half of everything your son was came from you, and I loved all of Richard. I won't deny that I wish I could have continued raising Nathan, Joy and Eliot. But I know they have a good life here."

At that, the kitchen door swung open, heralding the triumphant advance of Joy and Eliot. Her daughter was dressed as Elsa from a Micronian movie called 'Frozen'. Her youngest son wore a costume with unnecessary pockets, belts and dyed in at least two more colors than it needed. Probably a superhero costume then. Both children held pumpkin buckets in their hands, for carrying off the loot of their conquest. Both looked back and forth between their mother and grandfather, as they each sized up the room.

"Are you coming too, Grandpa?" Joy asked, an innocent question, though her tone of voice suggested she'd picked up on the tension.

Automatically, Henry Amherst glanced at Neqel. "You are welcome, sir," the Zentraedi invited. If her voice was a bit cool and dispassionate, that was her natural state. He should know her well enough by now to know that. Neqel hoped.

"Thank you," he answered after a long look, a warrior taking the measure of their foe. Perceptively he softened. "But you have little enough time with your children. No, I'll stay here and hand out candy to trick-or-treaters. You'll be here through the weekend?"

"I will," she said.

"We'll have lots of time to catch up then."

"I would like that." There, she'd even softened her words as well. Emotions were complicated enough. Life among Micronians had taught her an additional level of complexity, though. That emotion, even feigned emotion, could create emotion in others.

Henry was a critical male, impossible to please. Showing softness to him might elicit softness from him, though. She didn't feel soft whatsoever. But he was family, and would be for as long as he lived. Time and past time to end a conflict neither side could win or retreat from.

Neqel followed Joy and Eliot down the porch stairs to the sidewalk. The elder Amhersts lived in a rather palatial neighborhood, one of the old-fashioned kind that remained mostly single-family units with ample lawn. Passing from door to door would require a great deal of walking, which she thought was good for discouraging excessive candy accumulation while burning off some of the calories acquired from sugar.

"Mom, why don't we live with you?"

Joy's unexpected question caught the Zentraedi woman by surprise. Equally surprising was the sharp pain in her heart, so sudden she wondered if she had a valve defect. Neqel turned her head and looked intently at her only daughter, fourteen and showing a presence of mind new to her mother's experience. So many ways to answer the question. Some more satisfying than others. Neqel deliberated a moment more before choosing the least appealing option possible.

"Since your father died, I've had to find work, Joy. The only work I'm qualified to do, that would hire me, was the Army of the Southern Cross. It's useful work, good work, and it's work I'm very good at. But it's not the ideal environment for the three of you."

"Why not?"

"I rarely have notice of an assignment. My assignments can take days, weeks or even months. That would put you, my children, in the hands of base childcare and require an off-hours parental replacement while I'm on mission. I've had to move bases three times in the last two years. Imagine having to change your schools that often."

Neqel sighed, reached out and cupped her child's now-tear streaked face. "You are my Joy," she said fiercely, her voice thick with feelings Neqel refused to engage with. "I want the best life possible for you. Your grandparents love you and can provide a stable home life for the three of you to grow up in."

A flock of trick-or-treaters passed by and the three of them stepped to the side to make room. Neqel barely noticed their costumes, for all her attention funneled down upon the two costumed children she'd once carried. Zentraedi were bred and born in clone tanks. Not her children. They were more Micronian than Zentraedi but no less precious for it.

"Couldn't we all get a house together?" Eliot asked, the twelve year old's voice revealing his anxiety with its quiver. "Why can't they live with us? Or you live with us, when you're not working?"

"I would like that," Neqel answered. "Perhaps that's something I can discuss with your grandfather this week while I'm leave. Now, no more tears. This is Halloween. Your objective is to secure your rations of sugar. Your obstacles include large lots to increase transit time and the prospect that target houses may exhaust their ammunition before we can resupply. Fail and you will have to wait a year for this chance to come again. Will you fail?"

"No, Mom!" the two said in unison, and both promptly picked up their step.

Neqel let them drift a little ahead, to better watch them and marvel at their maturation. She'd missed much these past several years. Too much for her, no matter what she'd promised Richard on the day of his death. Eliot's idea was good. And Henry showed a little willingness to talk.

A Zentraedi's home was the battlefield. But for this Zentraedi, her real home was...an objective still unacquired. And Neqel didn't know how to quit before completing her objective.

Last edited:
Contest submission time is over. The thread will be locked for new replies.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back