Other Obscure fandoms you'd like to RP

I haven't actually delved into fandom roleplays properly yet, but I think that a RP set in the world of Pathologic 2, Hollow Knight or Darkwood could be really interesting. I'm also pretty sure that nobody would write that kind of thing with me, though xD And I'd be picky as hell about it, too, because I am particular about ~themes~ and such being respected.

Honorable mentions: Angel Sanctuary, Wicked+Divine, and anything Ito Junji. Probably Kill la Kill, too.

• I'm still holding onto a hope for a Judge Dredd group RP where the PCs are gang members or peeps out of the Cursed Earth.

• Alternatively, I would also love to do a group RP in the Warhammer 40k universe where the setting is on Hive Primus on the infamous Necromunda and the PCs are various gangers.

• Another Warhammer 40k fandom RP I'd want to get into is one where all the PCs are from an Ork clan. I'd actually be RPing as a Gretchin for that, though. But still, it's the same Boyz.
    • As a side note, I am adamantly against the whole Freebooterz or Rogue Trader gimmick to get people on board as being other types of races. I'd be looking specifically for an ALL Ork/Gretchin RP.

• I'm also still waiting for a Star Wars RP in the Old Republic setting (3600 BBY and older) where the PCs take the role of space pirates.

I myself, have actually tried twice to pitch that last Star Wars idea here on RPN. Both times I failed to get enough interest in it to have a proper start.​
The problem with trying to find my types of RP cravings is that I only look for groups. So, it's a compounded problem of trying to find a whole lot of people that are into said fandom, and not just one diamond in the rough.​

Last edited:
Hmm, I really prefer original settings/characters, but a few worlds I'd love to play in:

• Tamora Pierce's Tortall. I just adore the magic system and the well-crafted political landscape. It's easy to follow, thus easy to pick up and use for a setting.

• Vampire Hunter D. The movie was shit and so are the books, lol. But... I liked the concept of the world. Tech got so advanced, but it's crumbled away, so now you have this odd blend of late 1800's level of tech and aesthetics blended with tech and aesthetics from like the year 4000 or something.

• Master and Commander (books and movie). This is just a straight up historical drama/political thriller/adventure setting on the ocean. Love that.

• Psychonauts! Asks and answers "what if James Bond had telekinesis?" It's a 60's spy-action-thriller with Terry Pratchett logic and, of course, mind powers. Very fun, very strange, very creative. Can easily be as dark or light as you want it.

• Mad Max: Fury Road. I like an apocalypse setting where there's a little hope for the future... it just requires people cooperating to get there, which drives an interesting story.

• Discworld. I think this would be really fun for a more satirical story.

• Dishonored. This one I would actually like to play Corvo, rather than an oc, as I wonder a lot about how he felt through that whole situation.

• Something to do with witch hunters or Inquisitors in one of the various Warhammer settings. It's a built-in detective/mystery story that can go into horror, adventure, or just be totally character study driven. I really don't like Warhammer as a setting played straight, but with tweaking to make people's motivations slightly more human it can work (the whole thing is a parody of fascism, which it does well, but that makes it hard to create deeper stories within the lore as-is).

• Idk how popular this is/isn't, but it just popped into my head: Arcane. That's got some very intriguing and well put together world building.
I really like to explore the relationship between characters and their motivations/growth in stories, so any setting that lets me do that with others will be fun. 😊

Last edited:
...I really don't like Warhammer as a setting played straight, but with tweaking to make people's motivations slightly more human it can work (the whole thing is a parody of fascism, which it does well, but that makes it hard to create deeper stories within the lore as-is).
Gotta agree with you in that, while I'm a long time fan of WH40k (been painting the minis since the 90s), I actually very much dislike how everything/everyone is vying to be the biggest OP jerk in the universe. All the stories and characters are pretty much just a pissing contest to see who has the bigger d!ck.

Now, whittle away that element, and apply some more grounded and relatable characters, and you might actually have a viable setting.

• Something to do with with hunters or Inquisitors in one of the various Warhammer settings. It's a built-in detective/mystery story that can go into horror, adventure, or just be totally character study driven.

I didn't mention it in my last post because I honestly have gotten tired of trying to fit her into a setting, But I had some time ago made THIS character for a theme very much like what you are mentioning: A Group RP of an inquisitorial retinue with the players being the various members of said retinue.

And I guess the GM could be the Inquisitor to focus the plot drive. Or not. Either way, it was something I always hoped for, but have yet to of seen any real opening for. In the other WH40K RPs I've tried to get her in on, they all failed pretty quickly (or never started up to begin with).

Gotta agree with you in that, while I'm a long time fan of WH40k (been painting the minis since the 90s), I actually very much dislike how everything/everyone is vying to be the biggest OP jerk in the universe. All the stories and characters are pretty much just a pissing contest to see who has the bigger d!ck.

Now, whittle away that element, and apply some more grounded and relatable characters, and you might actually have a viable setting.

I didn't mention it in my last post because I honestly have gotten tired of trying to fit her into a setting, But I had some time ago made THIS character for a theme very much like what you are mentioning: A Group RP of an inquisitorial retinue with the players being the various members of said retinue.

And I guess the GM could be the Inquisitor to focus the plot drive. Or not. Either way, it was something I always hoped for, but have yet to of seen any real opening for. In the other WH40K RPs I've tried to get her in on, they all failed pretty quickly (or never started up to begin with).
Ahahah, yep. 😅

I read your character sheet/narrative for Adrielle- good writing! I like the story and motives you built for her. I don't know much about 40k beyond the fact that it's Dune all bent out of shape, haha, but I'd be keen to play like a psyker pressed into service or something in an Inquisitor's retinue.

In a Warhammer fantasy setting, I'd probably prefer to play a witch hunter or an apprentice (though, wouldn't object to playing a mage or acolyte of Verena), purely because I know a bit more about the setting.

Ahahah, yep. 😅

I read your character sheet/narrative for Adrielle- good writing! I like the story and motives you built for her. I don't know much about 40k beyond the fact that it's Dune all bent out of shape, haha, but I'd be keen to play like a psyker pressed into service or something in an Inquisitor's retinue.
A press-ganged psyker is definitely a thing that an Inquisitor would have in their retinue. I have the old Witch Hunters Supplement that has a whole lot of lore on stuff like that. I also have the 2nd Edition Codex to the Sisters of Battle. I never intended to play the tabletop game, but I did collect a small amount of the rule books for the lore way back in the day. But for everyone else, there is always the Lexicanum.

I know there is a regular group of 40k enthusiasts here on RPN. A small handful, but they have been consistent in their interest every time something 40k comes up. I feel that here, they are probably the only chance of getting a WH40k group off the ground. The problem with that, is finding common ground with the lot of them for the central theme.

In a Warhammer fantasy setting, I'd probably prefer to play a witch hunter or an apprentice (though, wouldn't object to playing a mage or acolyte of Verena), purely because I know a bit more about the setting.
Admittedly, I don't know a lot about the regular Warhammer setting. It is a lot less unique in that it is just another version of medieval fantasy elements (imo). WH40k is definitely a lot more of a stand-apart theme in that regard. Though I will say that I absolutely LOVE the Orcs and Goblins from both fandoms.

Here is a diorama I painted up for my little brother a few years ago. His favorite when we were kids were the Night Goblins. I sent it off to him as a Christmas present. It had a glass bell to go over the base and keep it clear of dust:
IMG-5876.jpg

IMG-5860-3.jpg

Last edited:
Kinda interested in role playing something lore olympus related?

A press-ganged psyker is definitely a thing that an Inquisitor would have in their retinue. I have the old Witch Hunters Supplement that has a whole lot of lore on stuff like that. I also have the 2nd Edition Codex to the Sisters of Battle. I never intended to play the tabletop game, but I did collect a small amount of the rule books for the lore way back in the day. But for everyone else, there is always the Lexicanum.

I know there is a regular group of 40k enthusiasts here on RPN. A small handful, but they have been consistent in their interest every time something 40k comes up. I feel that here, they are probably the only chance of getting a WH40k group off the ground. The problem with that, is finding common ground with the lot of them for the central theme.

Admittedly, I don't know a lot about the regular Warhammer setting. It is a lot less unique in that it is just another version of medieval fantasy elements (imo). WH40k is definitely a lot more of a stand-apart theme in that regard. Though I will say that I absolutely LOVE the Orcs and Goblins from both fandoms.

Here is a diorama I painted up for my little brother a few years ago. His favorite when we were kids were the Night Goblins. I sent it off to him as a Christmas present. It had a glass bell to go over the base and keep it clear of dust:
Yoooo' nice minis! Great paint job!

Yes, a press-ganged pysker would be fun, haha. I find there's a lot of interesting interactions you can get from a part-prisoner/part-employee dynamic.

You're right about the Fantasy setting: it's fairly generic. The only reason I know things about Warhammer Fantasy is because there's a big larp group here in Australia that I build gear for (woodworking is my hobby) and their lore is set in that world... but they had to make some pretty drastic changes to make it functional for rp/story building, because otherwise every interaction would just be "a human that wasn't completely ordinary came into town so we killed them. The end."

Anyway, if you ever get a 40k story going and want a psyker to drag along, shoot me a message!

Yoooo' nice minis! Great paint job!

Yes, a press-ganged pysker would be fun, haha. I find there's a lot of interesting interactions you can get from a part-prisoner/part-employee dynamic.

You're right about the Fantasy setting: it's fairly generic. The only reason I know things about Warhammer Fantasy is because there's a big larp group here in Australia that I build gear for (woodworking is my hobby) and their lore is set in that world... but they had to make some pretty drastic changes to make it functional for rp/story building, because otherwise every interaction would just be "a human that wasn't completely ordinary came into town so we killed them. The end."

Anyway, if you ever get a 40k story going and want a psyker to drag along, shoot me a message!
sure thing, I've bookmarked you in case that ever gets going

Lord Of The Rings/The Hobbit, Supernatural, GTA 5, Resident Evil 7, The Venture Bros, Metalocalypse, DC, and Marvel are some I've really been trying to find.

Lord Of The Rings/The Hobbit, Supernatural, GTA 5, Resident Evil 7, The Venture Bros, Metalocalypse, DC, and Marvel are some I've really been trying to find.
Honestly, you shouldn't have a lot of trouble finding the DC/Marvel stuff. I see those pop up here all the time.

I’ve been craving to find someone to do RE 7 with me that isn’t romantic. I even have a little au universe to flush out if your interested!

I wanna do a RP with some Puyo Puyo characters SO BAD but idk if anyone on this site is interested.
Welp-
Time to do an interest check!

At the moment I'd love to do a Half-Life or Portal roleplay! For such popular fandoms there's not many around who would like to do so. I suppose it's bc they're both old lol

STAR TREK
annoyed star trek GIF

I left the Danger Days canon on tumblr awhile ago. I’m craving a good rp but the community is toxic as hell

Users who are viewing this thread

Back