Other Obscure fandoms you'd like to RP

Say no more~
Though, I've always found the fun of fandom RP being he challenge of making an original character that fits the setting. I don't really like playing canon characters beyond the occasional cameo thrown in for the players as a GM.

Aha, yeah. I feel like RPs with big fantasy worlds like those or like ASoIaF or Mistborn or something like that fit much better with OCs than canon characters because their worlds and their lore are already so expansive, it's easy to just use what we've been given and come up with something of our own. Besides, it's difficult to use canon characters in a way that doesn't step on the timelines and events and relationships and such of the actual stories.

I once saw a Pendragon RP on another site. That series was my jam growing up. I felt like I'd seen a unicorn walking down the street.

Revised/Compiled List:
Wheel of Time, Into the Badlands, Thundercats, Altered Carbon, Mistborn (especially Alloy of Law era), Battlefield: Bad Company, World of Darkness, Advent Rising, Mummy, Stargate, Powder Mage series, Brad Thor's "Norseman"/"Athena Project" series, Tom Clancey's The Division

Last edited:
"The Greatest Showman (2017 Film)"... I feel like, on this site at least, no offense but it's so underrated! That movie and Cowboy Bebop (the anime)... But that's just me. To each their own! Happy Holidays, everyone! :)

I'd love to roleplay with Tamora Pierce's Magic Circle Universe.

I am happy to do an AU of the canon OR use the characters/elements in a different fandom/modern times.

I think it's such a creative world that she made with so many interesting elements to explore. Kinda like Harry Potter in a way where the world is so intricate that you almost just want to set your toys in the sandbox and see what you come up with.

I'm like super into crossing that world with Harry Potter, especially as the main focus of the protagonists story-lines is all about found family and overcoming traumatic childhoods. Hello boy-who-lived have you met your people?

Problem is I have met only one other person on this site who had even heard of Tamora Pierce. And they were more familiar with her Tortall World to boot, which is totally separate from the Magic Circle Universe.
I know this is kind of old, but I love those books! You are definitely not alone

The Thundarr the Barbarian TV show and the video game Endless Legend.

Thundarr is campy as fuck, but the basic idea of a post-apocalyptic fantasy setting with some of the ridiculous events happening in super iconic locations is great. Good example was the episode when a group of hiumans were being attacked by ape men who planned on using a giant animatronic King Kong as their war machine/god. Or the time when they fought a bunch of werewolves, and cured them all with the magical emminations of the Lincoln Memorial Reflecting Pool.

Endless legend is another interesting one in that the setting is also kind of a sci-fi/fantasy setting, with my favorite part being that the setting has no generic good guy human race like you see in almoat every other fantasy game. The closest things to that generic human race are a group of energy vampire knight ghosts bound to their magic armour, viking science lovers descended from the survivors of a crashed prison ship, and nomadic traders who live on the backs of giant beetles and who can just straight up ban you from the world market if you piss them off.

The Thundarr the Barbarian TV show and the video game Endless Legend.

Thundarr is campy as fuck, but the basic idea of a post-apocalyptic fantasy setting with some of the ridiculous events happening in super iconic locations is great. Good example was the episode when a group of hiumans were being attacked by ape men who planned on using a giant animatronic King Kong as their war machine/god. Or the time when they fought a bunch of werewolves, and cured them all with the magical emminations of the Lincoln Memorial Reflecting Pool.

Endless legend is another interesting one in that the setting is also kind of a sci-fi/fantasy setting, with my favorite part being that the setting has no generic good guy human race like you see in almoat every other fantasy game. The closest things to that generic human race are a group of energy vampire knight ghosts bound to their magic armour, viking science lovers descended from the survivors of a crashed prison ship, and nomadic traders who live on the backs of giant beetles and who can just straight up ban you from the world market if you piss them off.
Some other things I thought of (a few of which having been mentioned already), are Narnia, His Dark Materials, just about anything by Michael Crichton or H. Beam Piper, and The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy.

Narnia is just a fucking classic, and once you ignore the last... six(?) pages of the final book, it's really a great series. It's basically an isekai...
Konosuba, Tensei Shitara Slime Datta Ken, Tensei Shitara Dragon no Tamago Datta - Saikyou Igai Mezasa Nee and other similar isekai type worlds are fandoms that would very much work for me. I just love this sort of RPG-esque fantasy world settings, especially with the Isekai elements mixed in, not to mention the good development of these worlds (relatively speaking).
Holy fuck Narnia is quite possibly an indirect inspiration of the entire isekai genre. My mind is REELING.

Anyway, Narnia would be really fun to RP in.

His Dark Materials is just the right amount of badassery, wtf, and confussion to base an entire RP around it, even if it's only set in Lyra's world of Daemons and Humans. I mean, the setting has sentiant, sapiant polar bears with opposable thumbs that are basically thr fucking dwarves of their setting and it's fucking great.

Michael Crichton(the guy who wrote the book Jurassic Park is based off of AND helped make the original movie Westworld which would eventually become a TV show) has made a fuck ton of interesting worlds and settings, with most of the ideas being in the realm of science fiction, with a notable exception or two for fantasy/historical fiction. There is a LOT of stuff you can do with his stuff. Perhaps do some deep character exploration while on the bottom of the ocean investigating a spaceship that crashed one-thousand years ago? Or how about travel through time using alternate dimensions? Or any number of things!

H. Beam Piper's probably one of the most obscure classic fifties writers you will ever hear about(all of his books are free on kindle. Doesn't hurt to try them out). He created an entire future course of humanity nicknamed the "Terro-Human Future", and a time/alternate reality cop setting called "Paratime". Just about everything in the Terro-Human future setting is Space Opera as FUCK, while the Paratime series is a weird cross between a police procedural, a travel show, and MacGyver, oddly enough.

And then, there's Hitchhicker's. If you can get yourself together a group who are able to make a pretty good pass at Douglas Adams' writing style, you'll probably be able to make everyone on RPNation die of laughter. Or at least make a right good go at it.

There are probably other settings/fandoms that are both obscure and loved by me, but I can't think of them at the moment.

Holy fuck Narnia is quite possibly an indirect inspiration of the entire isekai genre. My mind is REELING.
Mayhaps, though Narnia was hardly the first to do it too. Either way, it's departed quite a bit from any sources I imagine it could have had.

So, I suppose we'll never though. The hypothesis will just stay up in the air in the same way that bricks don't.

Mayhaps, though Narnia was hardly the first to do it too. Either way, it's departed quite a bit from any sources I imagine it could have had.

So, I suppose we'll never though. The hypothesis will just stay up in the air in the same way that bricks don't.
You're right, but it's still fun to examine them and see how much they have in common.

Compared to previous "travel to another world" fiction (which was pretty much exclusively satire), the Narnia is at least mostly serious about it's depiction of another world with different rules, as seen with talking animals and mythical creatures existing. Another major note is the fact that the characters were kinda dragged into the world in order to fix it's problems, as shown with the prophesy of Cair Paravel basically saying that they were destined to go through the wardrobe into Narnia. Another interesting note is the fact that the main characters end up having a major political influence on the other world, which is a semi-common isekai trope.

Most of the stuff I just mentioned was in Lion, but there are other isekai tropes in the other books as well. A literal pulled into another world bit happens in Voyage of the Dawn Treader, when Lucy, Edmund, and their shitty cousin get pulled into Narnia through a painting. The "modern technology being ten times more amazing in another world" trope happens in Prince Caspian, where Edmund uses a flashlight to help the Narnian army coordinate an assault on the villain's castle. There's probably a bunch of other tropes that happen in the Narnia books, but it's been so long since I've read them that I've forgotten a lot of the fine details, and one or two of the less fine details.

So yeah. A lot of the stuff I mentioned was probably just convergent creative thought, but it was still pretty fun.

Last edited:
Yes, I have a few that I would like to roleplay but can't find that many willing participants. Like:

I have gotten to roleplay Psych once on this site, but I'm still going to count it.
A Million Little Things (granted its new, but I still wouldn't mind getting to roleplay it.)
Days of our lives (my only soap opera that no one else watches.)
Go On (this show wasn't well known though, so I can forgive people for never hearing of it before.)

There's probably more, but this is all I'll put here.

Push - a 2009 film about people with superpowers, but there’s no tights, capes, or cool names here, my guy. It’s very urban and grungy and I love it so much.

Eagle Eye - an old Shia Lebeouf film about a global conspiracy and a woman on the phone ordering you to leave your home and persuading you by showing you footage of your son on the TV sets in the store window across the street.

Kinetica - a 1999 PS2 game about the future of racing. It’s cyberpunk meets mech suit meets racing game.

The Magicians - Both a book series and a SyFy TV series, it’s Narnia meets Harry Potter, but for adults. A university for magic users, dealers who sell spells like drugs on the street, powerful sex magic, multiple dimensions, gods and demons, a whole lotta fun. Lots of grungy urban fantasy elements, which I love.

Rabbits - A podcast by the Public Radio Alliance and Minnow Beats Whale about an ancient and mysterious (and dangerous) game that is played using the real world as a platform. Which leads me to...

ARG’s - I’m surprised I’ve never seen an ARG based roleplay. I did see someone stealing an ARG title (I want to say it was Cicada 3301 but I don’t really remember) without the RP having anything to do with it, they just used the name. You could base one off a specific game like Marble Hornets or BEN Drowned or something, or you could make an RP about players playing an original ARG.

The Tsuki Project - not really a piece of fiction. One of the biggest internet mysteries I’ve ever encountered. An online cult of people who seem to truly believe that our world is one of many servers and that it will soon be disconnected from the greater system. It promises basically an anime cyberpunk afterlife. Absolutely wild stuff.

I probably have more, I’m an obscure ass person, but that’s a few for now.

Push - a 2009 film about people with superpowers, but there’s no tights, capes, or cool names here, my guy. It’s very urban and grungy and I love it so much.

Eagle Eye - an old Shia Lebeouf film about a global conspiracy and a woman on the phone ordering you to leave your home and persuading you by showing you footage of your son on the TV sets in the store window across the street.

Kinetica - a 1999 PS2 game about the future of racing. It’s cyberpunk meets mech suit meets racing game.

The Magicians - Both a book series and a SyFy TV series, it’s Narnia meets Harry Potter, but for adults. A university for magic users, dealers who sell spells like drugs on the street, powerful sex magic, multiple dimensions, gods and demons, a whole lotta fun. Lots of grungy urban fantasy elements, which I love.

Rabbits - A podcast by the Public Radio Alliance and Minnow Beats Whale about an ancient and mysterious (and dangerous) game that is played using the real world as a platform. Which leads me to...

ARG’s - I’m surprised I’ve never seen an ARG based roleplay. I did see someone stealing an ARG title (I want to say it was Cicada 3301 but I don’t really remember) without the RP having anything to do with it, they just used the name. You could base one off a specific game like Marble Hornets or BEN Drowned or something, or you could make an RP about players playing an original ARG.

The Tsuki Project - not really a piece of fiction. One of the biggest internet mysteries I’ve ever encountered. An online cult of people who seem to truly believe that our world is one of many servers and that it will soon be disconnected from the greater system. It promises basically an anime cyberpunk afterlife. Absolutely wild stuff.

I probably have more, I’m an obscure ass person, but that’s a few for now.
Push is great. Underrated film. Pretty sure the powers were based on telepathy and telekinesis. Would love to do something in that setting. Eagle Eye would be pretty good for either a 1×1 or a small group of maybe four people. Kinetica sounds freaking cool.

Push is great. Underrated film. Pretty sure the powers were based on telepathy and telekinesis. Would love to do something in that setting. Eagle Eye would be pretty good for either a 1×1 or a small group of maybe four people. Kinetica sounds freaking cool.
Definitely mostly psychokinetic abilities, yeah! Plus healing, super sonic screams, telling the future, tracking someone based on smell, sooo many cool categories. It's probably my favorite movie.

I agree Eagle Eye would be best in small numbers. I think the logistics there would be like a re-imagining of the basic premise? New conspiracy, new cast of characters.

Here's a video from the game you might like!

I wouldn't say Persona is obscure.... it's gotten a lot more exposure and popularity with the recent entries in the series, and with the P5 Protagonist being included in Smash.

There's just hardly ever an RP for it.

Oh man!
The Black Magician trilogy would be the shit! Oh man those books are good stuff!

Otherwise it's not really a fandom, but I am super into the RSE and the old anime versions of Team Magma from pokemon! Just that slight military style and how they seem to get shit done! I'd murder for someone to play Maxie to my Tabitha any day! Unnnggh!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back