• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

O Brave New World - IC

OOC
Here
Characters
Here
Lore
Here
Atusa
[1 hit definitely does not beat 6 Guile!]

Chumiren nods, seemingly satisfied with your response. Formalities exchanged and your duties discharged, you are free to mingle throughout the night, but are continuously beset by crowds of curious listeners eager to hear tales of your exploits. Privacy, peace, and quiet at this gala are all as scarce - and precious - as water in the desert.

Sakomet smiles knowingly as you approach, his sycophants parting before you, "Nomarch Atusa, you look like a woman who could use a cold drink. Bahadur, love, would you do that thing with the tent?"

Bahadur gives him a long-suffering look, "The Ivory Orchid Pavilion is not a tent, nor is it a party trick for entertaining -"

Sakhomet interrupts, "It is literally a party trick for entertaining guests." Bahadur growls, but Sakomet responds with his best puppy dog eyes, honed over a lifetime of practice, "Pleeeeeeeeease?"

Bahadur sighs, "Very well. Nomarch Atusa," he nods to you, but you see no sign of recognition, "Everyone, stand back!" He commands in a booming voice, walking in a wide circle as onlookers scramble to get out of his way. The Fayum guards protecting the chamber are visibly alarmed, but as yet do nothing to intervene. Bahadur sits seiza in the centre of the large circular space he's opened in the crowd and engages in a powerful deep breathing exercise, muscles flexing as his shoulders rise and fall with each expansion and contraction of his chest and abdomen.

Beside you Sakomet sighs happily, "Isn't he lovely? I think he'll keep me."

Bahadur rises smoothly to his feet and exhales a stream of luminous white petals into his outstretched palms where they assemble themselves into a small lotus blossom. He sinks to one knee, sets the blossom on the ground, steps back, and with one thunderous clap it expands dramatically into a beautiful floral pavilion large enough for a dozen guests, soft lotus blossom chairs set around small white tables laden with nuts, fruits, and carafes of something. The perfumed scent of the air wafting off the pavilion is divine.

The crowd looks on in awe, the bravest of them rushing forward as the work is finished, but Sakomet holds a hand aloft, motioning for them to stop. "This is a gift for the Nomarch Atusa. We shall return to attend you all shortly." Sakomet motions for you to follow him inside. The moment you step across the threshold blessed silence greets your ears and the faces of those outside become subtly blurred and indistinguishable.

"Thank you, love," says Sakomet, caressing Bahadur's bicep as he passes.

Bahadur, arms crossed, laughs deeply, "Anything for my sweet prince."

"And someday your sweet nomarch!" Sakomet retorts. He flops down into one of the chairs and pours himself golden wine in a silver goblet, beaming at you. "You still hate these little soirees, don't you? You're better at hiding it now. How are you feeling about tomorrow?" He looks like he's up to something, but he always looks like he's up to something, which makes it infuriatingly difficult to tell when he's actually up to anything. Now of all times, surely he must have brought you within a magic privacy curtain in front of everyone for more than small talk.

John & Hazel

A silence falls over the courtyard as you finish reciting the reconstructed prayer as for a moment the jungle seems to hold its breath in anticipation. It's faint at first, the pale golden light that shimmers almost imperceptibly in the darkness, slowly increasing in intensity until you can barely make out a four metre tall winged figure, sword at its hip, garbed in helm and armoured skirt. It hangs in the air, staring down at you in silent expectation. It looks like a Peri, benevolent winged spirits from legend that haven't been seen in living memory, but were once said to sweep down from the sky to intercede on behalf of the innocent.

The sounds of the jungle come back accompanied by a new and alarming sound, "Help! Please! Is anyone out there?" A woman's voice, panicked, hoarse, and out of breath. The Peri's translucent head snaps towards the sound, peering into the gloom lit only by faint moonlight, fireflies, and the occasional luminescent plant.

Renna & Morrolan

[As a reminder, Adjo, City God of Kabir, mentioned obliquely that the Din (They're supposed to be Div or Dev, but since I keep messing it up I suppose they're Din now. My brain just won't keep that one straight.) had taken the Heavens-Humbling Thunder of the Earth (That big pyramid they used to break the walls of Kabir) from somewhere they shouldn't have, and that it was an ancient weapon the Silverwright had once used, so while Gem doesn't know, Renna and Morrolan can guess someone's already taken something from the armoury. The question of whether taking more things from the armoury will actually make anything worse is an open one.]

Gem looks conflicted at the discussion of taking up arms against her Father, but remains silent. Two stone amulets of interlocking cubes in geometric patterns hung from bronze chains leap from the earth into each of Gem's outstretched hands, one significantly more complex than the other, "These are the tokens father gave to Dalisay and ourself. With no wish to ever return to the Hall of Enduring Silence, we buried them. Father will recognize our token, but the manse will not trouble you while you bear it. We must warn you father is a fearsome warrior, and the demon Alveua, Keeper of the Forge of Night will soon return to inspect and maintain the armoury and prison. We escaped with Dalisay before father could ask her to..." she trails off and Dalisay grimaces. "If you are certain you wish to enter the Hall of Enduring Silence, We... will bring you to the gate." She holds out the amulets.

Last edited:
As she observed the antics of Sakomet and Bahadur with a little grin, Atusa wondered if her and Sakomet's shared enjoyment of same-sex relations had subconsciously motivated them to become friends with each other. She'd then watch, impressed, as Bahadur literally conjured a pavilion out of thin air.

"A contortionist placing her foot upon her shoulder is a party trick. This however would appear to be of use for more than just entertainment." she declared once the spell had been completed, looking through the tent flap and seeing the food and drink available there. Indeed, it would appear that any group with access to a sorcerer capable of casting such a spell would never go hungry or thirsty, a truly great advantage when out on the desert.

She then followed Sakomet inside, helping herself to a goblet of wine and sitting down on a chair opposite him. Since they possessed little soil with which to grow grapes, wine was more of a luxury to the Faqari than it was for others, even in the South.

"I'd be either a liar or a fool if I claimed to not feel at least a little trepidation over what's to come. We both know that your brother and I have never entirely seen eye-to-eye with each other." she replied in answer to his question.

Essence: 1
Personal Essence: 13/13
Peripheral Essence: 23/33

Committed Essence: 5 (Short daiklaves)

Willpower: 5
Join Battle: 5
Health Levels: -0, -1, -1,-1,-1, -2, -2, -2, -2, -4, Incapacitated
-0: [_]
-1: [_], [_], [_], [_]
-2: [_], [_], [_], [_]
-4: [_]
Resolve 3, Guile 3

Attacks
Orichalcum Short Daiklaves (Withering 15 dice, Decisive 10 dice, Raw Damage 12, Overwhelming 3)

Actions
Rush: 7
Disengage: 7

Evasion 4, Parry 5
Armor: Buff Jacket (Soak 3, Mobility Penalty 0)
Natural Soak: 2
Armored Soak: 3
Hardness: 0

John & Hazel

A silence falls over the courtyard as you finish reciting the reconstructed prayer as for a moment the jungle seems to hold its breath in anticipation. It's faint at first, the pale golden light that shimmers almost imperceptibly in the darkness, slowly increasing in intensity until you can barely make out a four metre tall winged figure, sword at its hip, garbed in helm and armoured skirt. It hangs in the air, staring down at you in silent expectation. It looks like a Peri, benevolent winged spirits from legend that haven't been seen in living memory, but were once said to sweep down from the sky to intercede on behalf of the innocent.

The sounds of the jungle come back accompanied by a new and alarming sound, "Help! Please! Is anyone out there?" A woman's voice, panicked, hoarse, and out of breath. The Peri's translucent head snaps towards the sound, peering into the gloom lit only by faint moonlight, fireflies, and the occasional luminescent plant.
John's head turned to the sound of the voice calling from the darkness. He paused, taking a moment to check the crystal for the beast's position that he was supposed to expect. "Yes! in here!" he called idly as he looked for signs of the upcoming hostile. Within moments he hoped to see the face behind the voice of who called, somewhat on edge with his mate's safety on the line. If he could avoid it, he'd remain within the tower lest he somehow compromise the protection they were both afforded at the moment.

Gem looks conflicted at the discussion of taking up arms against her Father, but remains silent. Two stone amulets of interlocking cubes in geometric patterns hung from bronze chains leap from the earth into each of Gem's outstretched hands, one significantly more complex than the other, "These are the tokens father gave to Dalisay and ourself. With no wish to ever return to the Hall of Enduring Silence, we buried them. Father will recognize our token, but the manse will not trouble you while you bear it. We must warn you father is a fearsome warrior, and the demon Alveua, Keeper of the Forge of Night will soon return to inspect and maintain the armoury and prison. We escaped with Dalisay before father could ask her to..." she trails off and Dalisay grimaces. "If you are certain you wish to enter the Hall of Enduring Silence, We... will bring you to the gate." She holds out the amulets.
Renna nods. "With luck, we can be in and out of this Hall of Enduring Silence before this demon Alveua shows up and discovers our presence. In the meantime, I don't see us having much success trying to take the cavalry with us. Rogosh, take them to Adjo and use them to support the city. Hell, I'm half tempted to send all the men along with you and just go in there with Morrolan. I am getting the feeling that the fighting that we will be doing there will be beyond what the Red Arms can do, and they can do more good protecting the city from the Din."

Turning to face Gem, she says, "M'lady, we must be on the move as soon as possible. When can we leave?"

Morrolan recognizes that tone; the one that says Renna will not be changing her mind. He lets out a quiet sigh, knowing that most likely that the burden of this fight with the King will be falling on his shoulders. Well, with Zelator and my gifts from Luna, along with Renna's blessings from The Unconquered Sun, we should be more than enough to deal with this.

Hazel had a feeling that her cheeks would red for weeks. And through the entire flight she had to constantly let Erembour know to shut up. She did not need to hear any of that right. She could only imagine what the demon had to say about John admiring her front and back. She just wanted to enjoy the moment.

But soon enough, the girlish fantasies were broken as business needed to be attended to.

She cleaned her neck to search as well for the owner of the voice. With regrettable effort, she pried herself free from John and pulled from her cloak her dragon sigh wand, holding it in front of her like a staff should the need to use it come suddenly.

"Should we not go find her?" She asked.

[Aaaaand we're back. Again.]

Atusa:

Bahadur gives you an approving nod as he sees you grasp the significant utility of the spell, then takes up a position by the entrance to ensure no one tries to barge in.

"It is so very difficult to see eye to eye with someone who imagines themself astride such a lofty kite," Sakhomet observes dryly, taking another swig from the goblet. "Your civility is commendable, a quality in which Kotahmun is regrettably deficient. Before the morrow is out I expect them to be at one another's throats again. Kotahmun will inevitably do something short sighted and Chimuren will not miss the opportunity to have him arrested, as is his right. This places me in the deeply unenviable position of commanding Chumiren's full attention. Bahadur can protect my person, but cannot be caught intervening directly in our affairs without risking scandal at home. I could make a strategic withdrawal, but in so doing I would sacrifice what little legitimacy I hold."

He purses his lips, places the goblet down on the table before him, and sits up straight as he looks at you beseechingly, "And so I must regretfully come to you, parched and amphora in hand to beg your aid. Few others could do this, none of whom I trust. I would ask that, if my worst fears come to pass, you free Kotahmun tomorrow and see him to his ships, that he might remain a thorn in my eldest brother's side and prevent him from giving me his full attention. I understand the danger of what I ask, and will not begrudge you should you be unable to lend me your aid, but for all of his failings Kotahmun remembers his friends, and so do I. I do not ask you to do this entirely alone - I can offer a significant distraction when the time comes and invaluable information." He smiles conspiratorially, "In the future, well, who knows what the winds of fortune might bring, but perhaps I can offer much and more."

Renna & Morrolan:

Rogosh nods, "Yes, Captain. I'll inform the Master of Horse and we'll head on back to help the city." He pauses for a moment before asking quietly, "What do we do if... if things aren't goin' so well?"

----

After you've delivered your orders Gem nods and ushers you though collonaded courtyards and grand vaulted halls in a beautiful but mystifying arrangement that seems to serve no real purpose. You've sacked and defended your fair share of palaces, and this one looks like it was built by someone who had heard a palace described to them, but never actually lived in one, nor intended to use it for anything. At the centre of the palace she leads you down a crystal spiral staircase descending a deep shaft carved into the rock. As you descend into darkness the natural rock of the shaft gives way to man-made masonry and it becomes apparent you're descending through some collapsed and ruined structure buried under the earth. Finally the staircase descends through the ceiling of a collapsed dome, long since given way to the weight of the mountain above and the ravages of time. Fragments of the elaborately painted dome, shattered masonry, and large chunks of stone obstructing much of it. Access to three of the presumably many magical gates that once were arranged radially around the edges of the chamber has been cleared, though only one remains without obvious damage, an imposingly solid basalt arch engraved with text in the language of the gods.

Gem gestures to this gate, "This gate will take you to the Hall of Enduring Silence, noble Exalts." She holds out one hand and a fallen fragment of stone leaps from the ground into her expectant palm. She reshapes it swiftly, moulding it like clay in her hands until she holds a flat square stone map the depicts the layout of several floors of a fortress and offers it to you, "This fortress is labyrinthine, and we do not wish you to become lost. Take this, with our blessings." The map depicts the King's forge, throne room, the greater and several lesser armouries, access to several wings of prisoner cells, the Hearthstone chamber, the main gates, barracks, storehouses, and all the other structural elements one would expect from a fortress of its size, as well as some whose purpose is not immediately obvious to you.

----

Your firewater torches gutter and die when you step through the arch, giving you the briefest glimpse of large archways carved in walls composed of fused hexagonal columnar basalt before you're blanketed in darkness and silence as thick as the strangely heavy air that smells of molten metal and worked stone. It takes considerable effort to draw breath here, but it's nothing you can't handle. You get the feeling this fortress might not have been designed for human habitation.

Bypassing the great main gates and defences of the Hall of Enduring Silence by taking Gem's secret gateway and her tokens nets everyone another 3 XP.

Goal: Put the name Red Arms Company on the lips of every notable in the Principate, and get paid doing it.
Obstacles:
Name [Number of Points to Overcome] (Notes)
Life the Siege of Kabir [2]
A Ferocious Army of Dev aka Din [1/4]
Neutralize The Lord of Ash [2] (The only Sorcerer amongst the Eight-Forged King's retinue. Draw him out in one of your battles to kill him, distract him, assassinate him, or otherwise prevent him from interfering by summoning demons.)
The Hall of Enduring Silence [2] (Its great gates and heavy fortifications make a direct assault costly, but more frightening still are its breath-stealing enchantments, and its ability to summon vicious sandstorms.)
Neutralize The Eight-Forged King [4] (Cow, murder, drive off, etc.)

Hazel & John:

The darkness of the jungle yields little information to eyes adapted to the relatively well illuminated safety of the tower. After a moment the voice again cuts through the cacophony of the jungle, "I don't think I can go any further! My legs - they're not -"

The Peri continues to stare intently in approximately the direction of the voice, but does not move.

[You'll have to come to a decision about whether to venture out (either yourself, or sending something in your stead) or ignore the voice. You're welcome to make rolls of any kind to help you come to a decision or execute a plan.]

Last edited:
Bahadur gives you an approving nod as he sees you grasp the significant utility of the spell, then takes up a position by the entrance to ensure no one tries to barge in.

"It is so very difficult to see eye to eye with someone who imagines themself astride such a lofty kite," Sakhomet observes dryly, taking another swig from the goblet. "Your civility is commendable, a quality in which Kotahmun is regrettably deficient. Before the morrow is out I expect them to be at one another's throats again. Kotahmun will inevitably do something short sighted and Chimuren will not miss the opportunity to have him arrested, as is his right. This places me in the deeply unenviable position of commanding Chumiren's full attention. Bahadur can protect my person, but cannot be caught intervening directly in our affairs without risking scandal at home. I could make a strategic withdrawal, but in so doing I would sacrifice what little legitimacy I hold."

He purses his lips, places the goblet down on the table before him, and sits up straight as he looks at you beseechingly, "And so I must regretfully come to you, parched and amphora in hand to beg your aid. Few others could do this, none of whom I trust. I would ask that, if my worst fears come to pass, you free Kotahmun tomorrow and see him to his ships, that he might remain a thorn in my eldest brother's side and prevent him from giving me his full attention. I understand the danger of what I ask, and will not begrudge you should you be unable to lend me your aid, but for all of his failings Kotahmun remembers his friends, and so do I. I do not ask you to do this entirely alone - I can offer a significant distraction when the time comes and invaluable information." He smiles conspiratorially, "In the future, well, who knows what the winds of fortune might bring, but perhaps I can offer much and more."
Atusa raised her eyebrows at such a bold request. To free a prisoner of Chumiren's - especially a claimant to his throne - would surely constitute high treason. And while she could see Sakhomet simply trusting her not to tell about this, the Zenith couldn't help but imagine that she was expected to believe telling Chumiren about it would do her no good.

"I can understand why you would not want Kotahmun imprisoned." she said, while thinking about how it would also benefit her and the Hematti if the two older brothers were both free to fight with each other. "For both our sakes, I will do what I can to prevent such a thing, though I must be wary about it. If I act openly against Chumiren without provocation, he'll be far more justified in acting against me and my clan in retaliation."

Health Levels: -0, -1, -1,-1,-1, -2, -2, -2, -2, -4, Incapacitated
Resolve 3, Guile 3

Attacks
Orichalcum Short Daiklaves (Withering 15 dice, Decisive 10 dice, Raw Damage 12, Overwhelming 3)

Actions

Evasion 4, Parry 5

John whispers a curse and looks up to the Peri to speak with a tone of authority. “Follow. We need to investigate.” Whether or not the guardian obeyed was of little consequence at the moment. The exalted chef strode determined from the tower, sword blinking into his hand in a bright flash of light. Whatever was going on out here, he wasn’t going to leave someone to die if he could change the outcome.

[let me know if there’s a roll to coax the guardian into action.]

Last edited:
Gem gestures to this gate, "This gate will take you to the Hall of Enduring Silence, noble Exalts." She holds out one hand and a fallen fragment of stone leaps from the ground into her expectant palm. She reshapes it swiftly, moulding it like clay in her hands until she holds a flat square stone map the depicts the layout of several floors of a fortress and offers it to you, "This fortress is labyrinthine, and we do not wish you to become lost. Take this, with our blessings." The map depicts the King's forge, throne room, the greater and several lesser armouries, access to several wings of prisoner cells, the Hearthstone chamber, the main gates, barracks, storehouses, and all the other structural elements one would expect from a fortress of its size, as well as some whose purpose is not immediately obvious to you.
Before going through the Gateway, Renna takes the token map with a bow. "You have my thanks, M'Lady. One more question, if I may. What would happen if we were to take a moment and go to the hearthroom and attune ourselves to the manse? Is the hearthstone located there, or is it kept by the King himself?"

Okay, to shore up the Solar/Lunar XP shortfall, Obstacles also award 2 Solar/Lunar XP to everyone, putting us at 15 XP and 10 Special XP for everyone, plus any other Special XP accumulated so far.

Atusa

Sakhomet smiles wider, "It hasn't escaped me that acting so brazenly incentivizes you to ensure my dear eldest brother has no opportunity to seek to repay the Hematti for this kindness. Nor that you could earn currency with him by informing him of my scheming. Nor would I hold it against you if you did. You owe me nothing, and the latter is a risk I must take. I have as yet revealed nothing of consequence, he could scarcely lose more respect for me, and he is no fool - he is already certain I plot against him." He takes another sip of his wine, savouring it for a moment before continuing, "You need not decide now. Circumstances are fluid as the shifting sands, and perhaps things will have changed by then, but if elder brother finds himself up a rope without a kite in a cage hanging off the side of the ship, I will send you a signal when I can render my assistance. I can get you to him - getting him out I must leave to you. Should eldest brother be none the wiser so much the better."

[Pass - If there's nothing else you want to accomplish, we'll probably jump to the Ascension Ceremony at daybreak.]

Hazel & John

The Peri doesn't react - you're not certain if it can hear you - nor does it move to follow you as you venture forth into the darkness, bound only to the tower and its occupants. Its insubstantial form seems only at best half in this reality. Reaching it would require more than an authoritative voice. [If you'd like to try, Occult + Intelligence, Difficulty 7, or Performance + Charisma, Difficulty 10, could be used for deducing a ritual capable of permitting two way communication or performing a rite of prayer powerful enough to reach it, respectively.]

Your search for the plaintive woman is complicated by flickers of motion in the shadows at the corner of your eye, birdsong and the croaking of frogs and stranger thing still echoing strangely between the trees makes it difficult to pinpoint where exactly her voice is coming from, her scent difficult to pick out of the complex bouquet of moist soil, flowering plants, spices, and hundreds of other animals. The search takes you surprisingly far from the tower, though you haven't lost sight of it yet, her voice, reduced to plaintive cries, always seemingly just a few trees away until - is that a royal morel you smell?

[Give me a Perception + Awareness (-3 penalty from darkness + dense foliage/noise/lots of scent cover) vs a 10 die Stealth pool with Double 8s, and also a Join Battle. The enemy will use their stealth result as their JB.]

[Compel for John's Insatiably Curious and Daydreaming Chef Aspects. The Guardians are baiting you out of the tower by mimicking the voice of a dying woman they once heard, intent on ambushing you in the jungle where they can conceal themselves much more easily than the open and well lit courtyard. John picks up the scent of an exceedingly rare and delectable ingredient, capturing all of his attention. The Guardians take the opportunity to strike while he's distracted, causing him to botch the Awareness roll to detect them and entering battle at only 3i.]

Essence: 2; Personal: 70; Willpower: 5; Join Battle: 8 dice (see Stalking Cat Advantage)
Health Levels: -0/-1x4/-2x4/-4/Incap. Actions: Feats of Strength: 7 dice (may attempt Strength 5 feats); Intimidating Growl: 6 dice; Senses: 7 dice (see Keen Scent and Night Vision); Stealth: 10 dice (see Camouflage); Tracking: 8 dice (see Keen Scent) Resolve 3, Guile 2
Combat
Attack (Bite): 10 dice (Damage 16)
Attack (Claw): 14 dice (Damage 12)
Attack (Grapple): 10 dice (11 dice to control). Great cats cannot throw or slam grappled enemies.
Combat Movement: 11 dice
Evasion 4 (5 vs lower init), Parry 4
Soak/Hardness: 6/0

Special Attacks
Ambush Hunter: The great cat adds three dice on all attack rolls made from stealth.
Leaping Pounce: If a great cat moves into close range with an enemy of the same size or smaller and deals 5+ damage to it with a withering attack on the same turn, it may pay a point of Willpower to reflexively make a grapple gambit against its prey.
Mauling Bite: When the great cat makes a savaging decisive attack against a clinched enemy, it adds +4 to the raw damage of this attack. It can receive this bonus only once per clinch, unless reset by crashing the clinched enemy.
Pouncing Shadow: Great cats may pay a point of Willpower when they roll Stealth to ignore the usual -3 penalty for moving while concealed. In addition, each turn it spends in stealth, it stocks a single die, up to a maximum of three dice. On the turn that it breaks stealth, it adds these dice both to any movement actions it makes and to the raw damage of any grappling or decisive attacks it makes.

Merits
Camouflage: The shifting colours of the Guardian's feathers allow it to blend into any scenery. Double 8s on Stealth rolls, and may substitute Stealth for Join Battle.
Keen Nose and Hearing: Great cats apply the double 9s rule on Perception-based rolls made using scent or hearing.
Night Vision: Great cats can see in dim conditions as though they were in broad daylight, and reduce the difficulty of Perception-based checks made in deeper darkness by one.
Stalking Cat Advantage: Great cats adds one automatic success to any Join Battle roll made while in stealth.
Battle Cat: Great cats in the wild rely on ambush tactics to take down weaker prey, and generally avoid animals capable of fighting back against them. With training, they can be taught to defend against the tactics of trained combatants, adding +1 Evasion against any attack made by an enemy with lower Initiative and +1 Evasion against any attack made from medium range or further. These bonuses stack.

Charms
One With the Jungle
10m 1wp
Upon successful Disengage in dense jungle, reflexively roll to restore Stealth, negating the -3 penalty for attempting Stealth in combat.

Mynah's Unerring Repertoire
10m
For a scene the Guardian may mimic any sound it has heard, including speech, throwing its voice to anywhere within Medium range. The ruse cannot be detected by non-magical hearing.

Renna & Morrolan

Gem nods, "Our father keeps the hearthstone on his person. If you can defeat the guardians, breach the gates, and overcome his will you could attune to the manse. Father would know immediately when you tried, but should you succeed then even if he revoked the protections of the tokens you bear the manse could not be brought to bear against you."

[I'll also offer Renna a belated Complication from the botched Strategic Manoeuvre roll. A powerful god in the Southern division of the Crimson Panoply of Victory has a personal grudge against you for some perceived slight you've committed against them during your campaigns - we can work out exactly what that was. Perhaps they favoured the Red Arms or had plans for them, and are incensed you drove the soldiers of the company to the dishonourable act of mutiny against their officers? In exchange you receive 3 Solar XP and a Fate Point, but Fate will be against you in battle until you settle accounts. Wisdom's Star has read ill portents and the anger of the gods, and other soothsayers you consult will similarly speak of a curse upon you written in the stars.]

Last edited:
Hazel was about to snap at John for ordering her around. Her! She was the senior exalt here! She would have obeyed, of course, but it was a matter of principle.

Thankfully she had only opened her mouth when she realized that John was looking at the Peri. While she was very tempted to see what she could do with it... Hazel wasn't about to let John wander off alone into the jungle. She needed to protect him!

As she stepped into the jungle brush behind John, she took a few steps so that she could at least walk beside him.

Her eyes sparkled. No, shown. More than just her tell, they took on the properties of her spirit. Her moon touched feline eyes so attuned to nocturnal life were now scanning the jungle shadows. Twitching to lock on to ever movement that seemed out of place

Searching for this woman. Or whatever was lurking behind any tree. Her large dragon sigh wand was in her hands with the butt against her shoulder, though the barrel was lowered as it faced forward.

Activating sense sharpening change.
+4mts: eyes for the dark
Sense-Sharpening Change
Cost: 4m (or 1m); Mins: Perception 2, Essence 1
Type: Reflexive
Keywords: Stackable
Duration: One scene
Prerequisite Charms: None
The Lunar shifts her body to hone one of her senses. She chooses a single sense, rerolling 1s until they cease to appear on Perception rolls using it and ignoring (Essence) points of penalty from overstimulation or understimulation of that sense, even on non-Perception rolls. She could ignore penalties to vision caused by darkness or blinding light, but not by fog or distance.

Perception + Awareness
8 die, 2 stunt, (+reroll all ones)
4mt Excellency

14 die - Penalty (3 - Essence)

Roll 12 die, reroll ones until gone.

6 successes

Before Morrolan enters this gateway, he looks over at Renna. "You do realize that this is going to be ugly, don't you? I seriously doubt that the King will be willing to listen to reason." He then takes a deep breath and reaches deep within himself to take a hold of his Essence, changing his form into his giant beastform. He then looks down at Renna, the haft of Zelator in his hand. "We should move quickly, to avoid giving the King a chance to rally his defenders and try and stop us from getting to him."
Activating my Hybrid Body Transformation and DBT for the scene

Health Levels
-0 [ ] (+[ ] Only in DBT Form)
-1 [ ][ ]
-2 [ ][ ][ ][ ][ ] - [ ]
-4 [ ][ ][ ][ ][ ]
I [ ]

Personal: 16 / 11
Peripheral: 38 / 28
Committed: 10
Willpower: 7 / 6

Parry DV: 6
Dodge DV: 2
Resolve: 4
Guile: 1

Join Battle: 8 + 3i - +5i from Sinuous Striking Grace (3m)

Soak: 5
Armor: +8, +2 from Argent Handshake Mien
Shapeshifted: +8 from Unusual Skin, +5 from DBT
Total Soak: 13 human / 26 DBT, +2 from Ardent Handshake Mein
Natural Hardness: 4
Armor Hardness: 7, +1 from Argent Handshake Mien

Weapons
Zelator
Type: Heavy (+1 ACC, +14 DMG, +0 DEF, OVW 5)
Tags: Lethal, Melee, Piercing, Reaching;
Two-Handed when on foot
The spear makes baneful attacks against sorcerers, sorcerous constructs, sorcerously transformed opponents, and summoned spirits. Its decisive attacks against such foes add one bonus die to the damage roll and deal aggravated damage. If the target is a sorcerer who has gathered sorcerous motes, three of the gathered motes are dispersed and lost.

Atusa nodded in agreement with Sakhomet's words, before steering the conversation away from Kotahmun and the strained relations between all three brothers. She and Sakhomet talked more casually about affairs and events within their respective domains, though the Hematti Nomarch kept silent about being a Solar, unsure of how much Sakhomet valued his friendship with her compared to his connections with the Principate. She also stayed quiet about the Hall of Justice, doubtful as she was that Sakhomet would be able to help her with that at the moment, and also not wanting word about it to spread too fast; as much as she doubted that anyone else would be able to defeat Raglabash before she could, there was always the risk that it could happen, especially when someone with Sakhomet's connections became involved.

Eventually she left the pavilion to mingle with the other guests, but departed from the party once it was socially acceptable to do so. Whatever was going to happen tomorrow, she wanted to be able to face it with a relatively clear head.

[Pass.]

In: [_]
Resolve 3, Guile 3

Attacks

Actions

Evasion 4, Parry 5

Last edited:
John turned to see the Peri remaining still as if vacant or half present in this world. Something crucial remained disconnected. "Attunement. Resonance" He mused aloud. "If one examines the words and concepts carefully they evoke the image of music. Two vibrations that sync to harmonize. Just as we bind wonders to the beat of our rhythm, so too must the rest of the spiritual realm bend and yield to the call of humanity, especially those with rightly anointed authority over the Earth. Most of us don't even realize we do this by second nature. Ordinarily, this revelation of divinity inherent to the layers of the soul and spirit lies separate from the human, the mortal, understanding. This phenomenon is one our spark can and does evoke on its own without channeled thought. However with understanding, we may wield our very being with intent." The words poured forth, as if a lecture or monologue from a lost era awakened from a fickle dreaming slumber.

John reached forward as if compelled by reflex and called out to the Peri with a piercing vibrato whistle. The harmonic vibration clashed against the slanted walls and saturated the structure with the same intensity as a breath fills a flute. Just as the runes and poetry bound this spirit to physical realm, so did the echoing quake between worlds awaken the tower's own attunement to both realms.

[Rolling Intelligence + Occult to establish a connection to the Peri], I'll give it a full Excellency for 16 dice. Anima set to glowing/stage 1 as a consequence. 7 successes at a level 1 stunt. Last die was an accident.]

Whether or not the attunement of master to servant succeed, time grew short and the son of Twilight pressed on. Self-forged sword in hand, the champion chef cleaved his way through dense foliage and treacherous woodland to the sound of the voice. Yet even as he followed the sound of pleas, it hardly drew nearer, never out of sight. Of course. He thought. No one this exhausted, would be heard the far away. Such simple-minded bai-." He stopped "Ah, what's this I sme-" He cut off again as hunt began.

[Alas, double 8s is a tough hurdle to leap even without the handicap. I'll save the essence for something else. Given the compel forces me to 3 init and my Perception and Wits are identical this roll can serve as Join Battle if it's actually called for in John's case since he won't gain initiative. 0 successes but no botch.]

Last edited:
Before Morrolan enters this gateway, he looks over at Renna. "You do realize that this is going to be ugly, don't you? I seriously doubt that the King will be willing to listen to reason." He then takes a deep breath and reaches deep within himself to take a hold of his Essence, changing his form into his giant beastform. He then looks down at Renna, the haft of Zelator in his hand. "We should move quickly, to avoid giving the King a chance to rally his defenders and try and stop us from getting to him."
Renna nods, feeling the tightness in her chest making it harder to breathe. "Yes. Lets go." She keeps her sword sheathed, but Adorei can be in her hand in a moment if it comes to a fight. Right now, her focus is on getting through the maze of halls and rooms to find the King and try and get him to stop this war, hopefully without having to attack him directly.

Renna & Morrolan
After several attempts you manage to relight your lantern, and by its dim flickering light you navigate through the labyrinthine passages of hexagonal black columnar basalt in unnatural silence. Periodically your lantern is snuffed out again, leaving you in pitch darkness, and each time you have the unsettling perception that something is watching you before you manage to light it again to reveal an empty corridor. You progress according to the map from dust-choked areas long since left to ruin into the periphery of the immaculately kept core of the fortress, decorated with many elaborately carved murals in flattened sections of wall depicting great battles and spirits great and terrible, annotated with text in some foreign tongue.

A whispered voice, so soft it would be inaudible in all but the unnatural silence, addresses you in a language that sounds like nothing you've ever heard before but yet you comprehend perfectly, "Welcome home, Princess. The King has been inquiring after your health, and wishes the honour of your presence in his workshop at your earliest convenience. Shall I inform him you have returned?"

Hazel & John
Sensing an opportune moment, two shadows silently plunge from the canopy in perfect unison to strike with hungry topaz eyes, glinting claws, and glistening stingers, their plumage rippling with dark greens and blacks to break up their silhouettes and make it difficult to estimate their distance. Hazel, gifted with moon-graced senses and reflexes to match, apprehends the danger just in time to realize the peril rapidly descending on her mate.
Hazel 9i
Guardian A 8i
Guardian B 7i
John 3i

Guardian A is making a Decisive Ambush Attack against John. If Hazel doesn't intercede to defend John, he's likely to get seriously hurt.

Atusa
The cloak of gold leaf feathers draped over Chumiren's shoulders shines brilliantly in the early dawn light, the open side of the throne room facing east. Perhaps there is a new master goldsmith in one of the oasis settlements, or he commissioned it from the Principate, for rarely have you seen such fine workmanship. You didn't even realize the thunderbirds had delicate hands concealed in the tips of their wings with which to drape the cloak, so rare is it you see them up close, but the antipathy between the thunderbirds and flanking djinn over the former's pride of place in Chuumiren's coronation could not be more plain. To say djinn smolder is redundant, and yet. Chuumiren is not so foolish as to throw all tradition to the wind, so it is a djinn who places the diadem of crystallized flame upon his brow, "Chumiren, son of Chuma, I name you Oathkeeper and Nomarch of the Fayum. May your reign be blessed by wind and flame." After this ceremony there will be a procession to the vault where the tablet is kept to inscribe Chumiren's name, but only one whose hand is blessed with the flame of the Fayum djinn may carve that otherwise impervious stone.

Chumiren steps forward to address the assembled dignitaries arrayed on long rows of sitting cushions. Unlike the crowd permitted for the funeral yesterday, this crowd contains outsiders. Representatives of nearby oases, Bahadur representing the Principate, and the wizened old captain Kathkar representing the coalition of Northern tribes calling themselves Ea-Abzu, and the various attendants at court for the mining settlements who depend on the Duneways held by the Fayum or those sworn to them join the three younger brothers, Chuma's wives, and representatives of .

"My father has been murdered, and nothing will slow my pursuit of justice in his name, but if the cowards responsible believe for one moment it will delay the fulfillment of his last wishes they have sorely underestimated my resolve. The Court of Bleached Bone is quick to forget the many harsh lessons my father taught them, and my father willed they be reminded once again that we are no longer prey but predator. I can think of none better to serve as Mistress of Flame [Field commander] than Nomarch Atusa, recently returned from glorious victory against the Court of the Poisoned Fang. The Hematti have been frequent targets of this renewed Bleach Bone temerity, and I am certain she thirsts for vengeance as much as any. To honour his ferocity and brilliance as a warrior, and his service to the Fayum, my brother Kotahmun will be promoted to Master of Wind to oversee campaign strategy. A number of our vessels will be assigned to secure the Denali and Istari routes [The two trade routes granted to the Hematti by Chuma], that my Mistress of Flame might have all of her most trusted and capable captains at her disposal, and I will choose a number of additional vessels to accompany her. I expect each and every one of our vassals to do likewise."

For those astute observers in the court, with one deft manoeuvre Chumiren seems to have cut Kotahmun's legs out from under him. There is little doubt the vessels Chumiren intends to nominate both to take over the Hematti trade routes and join the crusade fleet are loyal to Kotahmun, and he likely intends to use the proceeds from the trade routes he has temporarily repossessed to try to buy the loyalty of those who may be persuadable. By moving Kotahmun from a field command with his own ship to the Master of Wind for a major offensive against the Raksha he keeps his brother at court where he can keep an eye on him without dishonouring him, severing his direct link to his most loyal captains by placing you in the middle while fragmenting them into geographically disparate postings. Naming you Mistress of Flame for a crusade against the Court of Bleached Bone is a great honour, but it also serves the triple purpose of getting a politically unreliable commander building a dangerous reputation out of his hair and occupied while he consolidates power, testing that reputation by either putting it to good use or dispelling it, and putting you in grave danger on the off chance you get yourself killed. He has taken short term stability away from the Hematti by removing a reliable source of income, and made you more reliant than ever on the Fayum for defense against outside threats while you're on campaign, but also offered a way to earn significant wealth and prestige should you perform exceptionally well in your duties. The gossamer wonders of the Raksha can fetch princely sums in the Principate, and the ancient sites near their hunting grounds are often untouched by scavengers. By comprising your fleet of whatever ships the other clans deign to volunteer he likely hopes to ensure that even should you prove fantastically successful your fleet will largely dissolve to their respective clans on your return rather than remain loyal to you and a threat to him. The other clans will likely all attempt to play the risky game of volunteering the worst ships they can get away with sending without collectively consigning the crusade to disaster and thus the loss of precious vessels or dishonouring themselves.

Sakhomet looks entirely unsurprised, but Kotahmun is clearly shocked by this proclamation, and it takes several moments for him to process before his cheeks redden and he leaps to his feet, incensed. "No! Father intended to name me Master of Flame, and you know it. I have spent months drilling my fleet for this. You think yourself so clever, but I refuse to allow you to ruin father's well laid plans!"

Silence fills the chamber in the wake of this outburst, only the wind rushing by outside and the creak and groan of the township's ironwood and rigging breaking it. Chumiren speaks quietly and condescendingly, as if explaining something obvious to a child, "That fleet is not 'yours'. Captains serve our clan, and as Nomarch and Oathkeeper both you and they serve the clan at my pleasure. By strength of blood I will give you one more chance. Accept the honour of serving as Master of Wind against our great enemies, and bring glory and wealth to our name, or I will strip you of your command until you come to your senses."

[Kotahmun is clearly about to say something stupid and get himself arrested. Do you interject? Regardless, shortly an explosion will rock the township and Sirocco will inform you a fight has broken out near the docks and one of the firedust rooms has been ignited, prompting Chumiren to send most of the djinn escorting him to help contain the fire.]

Renna & Morrolan
After several attempts you manage to relight your lantern, and by its dim flickering light you navigate through the labyrinthine passages of hexagonal black columnar basalt in unnatural silence. Periodically your lantern is snuffed out again, leaving you in pitch darkness, and each time you have the unsettling perception that something is watching you before you manage to light it again to reveal an empty corridor. You progress according to the map from dust-choked areas long since left to ruin into the periphery of the immaculately kept core of the fortress, decorated with many elaborately carved murals in flattened sections of wall depicting great battles and spirits great and terrible, annotated with text in some foreign tongue.

A whispered voice, so soft it would be inaudible in all but the unnatural silence, addresses you in a language that sounds like nothing you've ever heard before but yet you comprehend perfectly, "Welcome home, Princess. The King has been inquiring after your health, and wishes the honour of your presence in his workshop at your earliest convenience. Shall I inform him you have returned?"
Renna's hand goes to the hilt of Adorei, but she hold off on drawing the daiklave. Trading a quick glance with Morrolan, she finally says, "Yes, please. Show the way. I am anxious to speak with him." She is still hoping that there will not be a needless bloodbath, but somehow, she doubts that this will end in any way other than a fight.
Health Levels
-0 [ ]
-1 [ ][ ][ ]
-2 [ ][ ][ ]
-4 [ ]
I [ ]

Personal: 13
Peripheral: 33 / 23
Willpower: 6
Fate Point: -1

Parry DV: 6 +1 from Adorei
Dodge DV: 4
Resolve: 2
Guile: 2

Join Battle: 7 +3i

Soak: 2
Armor: 8
Total: 10
Hardness: 7

Weapons
Beloved Adorei
Type: Medium (+4 ACC, +12 DMG, +1 DEF, OVW 4)
Adorei grants one automatic success to all withering damage rolls.

Morrolan is silent, but keeps a sharp lookout for any signs of danger to either him or Renna. He knows that Renna wants to resolve this without a fight, but he just doesn't see that happening. Hope for the best, plan for the worst. That way, no matter what happens, you are prepared.
DBT Active

Health Levels
-0 [ ] (+[ ] Only in DBT Form)
-1 [ ][ ]
-2 [ ][ ][ ][ ][ ] - [ ]
-4 [ ][ ][ ][ ][ ]
I [ ]

Personal: 16
Peripheral: 38 / 28
Willpower: 7

Parry DV: 6
Dodge DV: 2
Resolve: 4
Guile: 1

Join Battle: 8 + 3i - +5i from Sinuous Striking Grace (3m)

Soak: 5
Armor: +8, +2 from Argent Handshake Mien
Shapeshifted: +8 from Unusual Skin, +5 from DBT
Total Soak: 13 human / 26 DBT, +2 from Ardent Handshake Mein
Natural Hardness: 4
Armor Hardness: 7, +1 from Argent Handshake Mien

Weapons
Zelator
Type: Heavy (+1 ACC, +14 DMG, +0 DEF, OVW 5)
Tags: Lethal, Melee, Piercing, Reaching;
Two-Handed when on foot
The spear makes baneful attacks against sorcerers, sorcerous constructs, sorcerously transformed opponents, and summoned spirits. Its decisive attacks against such foes add one bonus die to the damage roll and deal aggravated damage. If the target is a sorcerer who has gathered sorcerous motes, three of the gathered motes are dispersed and lost.

Last edited:
Atusa
The cloak of gold leaf feathers draped over Chumiren's shoulders shines brilliantly in the early dawn light, the open side of the throne room facing east. Perhaps there is a new master goldsmith in one of the oasis settlements, or he commissioned it from the Principate, for rarely have you seen such fine workmanship. You didn't even realize the thunderbirds had delicate hands concealed in the tips of their wings with which to drape the cloak, so rare is it you see them up close, but the antipathy between the thunderbirds and flanking djinn over the former's pride of place in Chuumiren's coronation could not be more plain. To say djinn smolder is redundant, and yet. Chuumiren is not so foolish as to throw all tradition to the wind, so it is a djinn who places the diadem of crystallized flame upon his brow, "Chumiren, son of Chuma, I name you Oathkeeper and Nomarch of the Fayum. May your reign be blessed by wind and flame." After this ceremony there will be a procession to the vault where the tablet is kept to inscribe Chumiren's name, but only one whose hand is blessed with the flame of the Fayum djinn may carve that otherwise impervious stone.

Chumiren steps forward to address the assembled dignitaries arrayed on long rows of sitting cushions. Unlike the crowd permitted for the funeral yesterday, this crowd contains outsiders. Representatives of nearby oases, Bahadur representing the Principate, and the wizened old captain Kathkar representing the coalition of Northern tribes calling themselves Ea-Abzu, and the various attendants at court for the mining settlements who depend on the Duneways held by the Fayum or those sworn to them join the three younger brothers, Chuma's wives, and representatives of .

"My father has been murdered, and nothing will slow my pursuit of justice in his name, but if the cowards responsible believe for one moment it will delay the fulfillment of his last wishes they have sorely underestimated my resolve. The Court of Bleached Bone is quick to forget the many harsh lessons my father taught them, and my father willed they be reminded once again that we are no longer prey but predator. I can think of none better to serve as Mistress of Flame [Field commander] than Nomarch Atusa, recently returned from glorious victory against the Court of the Poisoned Fang. The Hematti have been frequent targets of this renewed Bleach Bone temerity, and I am certain she thirsts for vengeance as much as any. To honour his ferocity and brilliance as a warrior, and his service to the Fayum, my brother Kotahmun will be promoted to Master of Wind to oversee campaign strategy. A number of our vessels will be assigned to secure the Denali and Istari routes [The two trade routes granted to the Hematti by Chuma], that my Mistress of Flame might have all of her most trusted and capable captains at her disposal, and I will choose a number of additional vessels to accompany her. I expect each and every one of our vassals to do likewise."

For those astute observers in the court, with one deft manoeuvre Chumiren seems to have cut Kotahmun's legs out from under him. There is little doubt the vessels Chumiren intends to nominate both to take over the Hematti trade routes and join the crusade fleet are loyal to Kotahmun, and he likely intends to use the proceeds from the trade routes he has temporarily repossessed to try to buy the loyalty of those who may be persuadable. By moving Kotahmun from a field command with his own ship to the Master of Wind for a major offensive against the Raksha he keeps his brother at court where he can keep an eye on him without dishonouring him, severing his direct link to his most loyal captains by placing you in the middle while fragmenting them into geographically disparate postings. Naming you Mistress of Flame for a crusade against the Court of Bleached Bone is a great honour, but it also serves the triple purpose of getting a politically unreliable commander building a dangerous reputation out of his hair and occupied while he consolidates power, testing that reputation by either putting it to good use or dispelling it, and putting you in grave danger on the off chance you get yourself killed. He has taken short term stability away from the Hematti by removing a reliable source of income, and made you more reliant than ever on the Fayum for defense against outside threats while you're on campaign, but also offered a way to earn significant wealth and prestige should you perform exceptionally well in your duties. The gossamer wonders of the Raksha can fetch princely sums in the Principate, and the ancient sites near their hunting grounds are often untouched by scavengers. By comprising your fleet of whatever ships the other clans deign to volunteer he likely hopes to ensure that even should you prove fantastically successful your fleet will largely dissolve to their respective clans on your return rather than remain loyal to you and a threat to him. The other clans will likely all attempt to play the risky game of volunteering the worst ships they can get away with sending without collectively consigning the crusade to disaster and thus the loss of precious vessels or dishonouring themselves.

Sakhomet looks entirely unsurprised, but Kotahmun is clearly shocked by this proclamation, and it takes several moments for him to process before his cheeks redden and he leaps to his feet, incensed. "No! Father intended to name me Master of Flame, and you know it. I have spent months drilling my fleet for this. You think yourself so clever, but I refuse to allow you to ruin father's well laid plans!"

Silence fills the chamber in the wake of this outburst, only the wind rushing by outside and the creak and groan of the township's ironwood and rigging breaking it. Chumiren speaks quietly and condescendingly, as if explaining something obvious to a child, "That fleet is not 'yours'. Captains serve our clan, and as Nomarch and Oathkeeper both you and they serve the clan at my pleasure. By strength of blood I will give you one more chance. Accept the honour of serving as Master of Wind against our great enemies, and bring glory and wealth to our name, or I will strip you of your command until you come to your senses."

[Kotahmun is clearly about to say something stupid and get himself arrested. Do you interject? Regardless, shortly an explosion will rock the township and Sirocco will inform you a fight has broken out near the docks and one of the firedust rooms has been ignited, prompting Chumiren to send most of the djinn escorting him to help contain the fire.]

Atusa was surprised. Being appointed to such a position under Chumiren's regime was one of the last things she would have hoped for. Then again, she thought cynically, the new Nomarch might have done that just to enrage his brother, judging by Kotahmun's reaction.

She considered either stepping forward to try and say something, or letting events play out. But before she could decide either way, something in the township exploded.

In: [_]
Resolve 3, Guile 3

Attacks

Actions

Evasion 4, Parry 5

Last edited:
Renna & Morrolan

"At once," whispers the wind. A gentle breeze guides you passed dozens of groups of fearsome Dev, many in full battle dress, going about the business of the fortress. Each hurries to step aside and fall to one knee as you pass. You have a sneaking suspicion Gem did something more than just grant you a bauble for protection. Neither of you look any different to the other, but everyone else is reacting as if you were unquestionably Gem and Dalisay. You pass through great feasting halls and barracks unused in centuries, at one point crossing a bridge over a vast armoury lit by magma flows, racks of exotic looking personal weapons and siege engines extending off into the darkness.

After passing through what surely must be a dozen checkpoints and a great corridor with a double rank of Dev kneeling in salute on each side, you arrive at what could only be the Eight-Forged King's workshop. A long narrow promontory of igneous stone reinforced with black iron extends out over a lake of magma in a caldera open to the sky, bathing everything in a red-orange light and filling it with a sweltering heat that causes the air to shimmer and dance. At the end of the promontory a half dozen furnaces are heated by vessels of magma winched up from the lake below on chains of white jade, and arrayed around them are the tools of the smith: anvils, quenching troughs, racks filled with punches, chisels, headers, and hammers, but also much more exotic things: A massive lens array that might be used to concentrate the light of the sun, were the sky not currently occluded by ash and dense black clouds; Shining instruments of orichalcum, jade, and moonsilver of exotic design and unknown purpose; Wheeled crucibles and vessels of jade on rails of steel.

At the centre of it all is the King himself, a four metre tall eight-armed giant of a man venting his frustration and worry on a large piece of white hot metal freshly drawn from the furnace, surrounded by elemental attendants hard at work. Each of his thick, muscular arms is made from a different material - one of each colour of Jade and one each of orichalcum, moonsilver, and what appears to be mundane - if fine - steel. His ordinarily proud and regal bearing is hunched, shoulders narrowed, noble brow furrowed with worry and pronounced chin clenched tight as his teeth grind with a sound you swear you can hear even at this distance. He wears a heavy armoured skirt, apron, and sandals, a crown of onyx and ruby set in white jade carved to look like an erupting volcano upon his brow. His skin of obsidian is shot through with fiery veins of molten red and his eyes trail fire as he rises from his work to see who intrudes upon his sanctuary.

His eyes widen in joy as they alight on you, laying down his orichalcum hammer, the cooling metal beside him entirely forgotten. "It is true! You have returned to me, daughter," his voice booms like the rumble of the earth before an eruption. "And the boy, too," he adds as an afterthought. Relief, elation, and fury war on his features, "Where have you been? I have had the province scoured for any sign of you! If someone has done something to you, I shall consign them to my deepest cells for all eternity," he rumbles ominously.

He's speaking the incomprehensible tongue of gods and spirits, and yet you can understand him perfectly, as if you'd heard it all your life, and you have a strange certainty you could even speak it.

Last edited:
Renna shoots a sideways glance at Morrolan, wondering what the devil to do now. She runs through a few ideas in her head, discarding one after another, before she finally answers, "No one has caused us any harm; we are fit and as hale as the last time you saw us." She looks around the room, trying to get an idea of the numbers of possible opponents against them in here if things go badly. "Tell me, what is it that you are working on? Anything of interest?"

Morrolan is still and silent, not wanting to pipe up and spoil any of Renna's efforts to talk to the King. His hands clutch at his spear, knowing that he must be stronger than the stone around him in order to ensure Renna's survival.

Renna & Morrolan

Besides the King himself there are a dozen elemental attendants working the forge, and at least two dozen Dev behind the heavy stone gate that currently lays open. The King's eyes narrow as he strides towards you, bellowing, "Missing for weeks, and this is all you have to say for yourself?" [Performance + Manipulation if you want to maintain the ruse that you are Gem, opposed by the King's Read Intentions pool of 6.]

Renna looks up at the King and returns his glare. "What would you have me say? Your arrogance has thrown the whole region into turmoil, killing hundreds!" She knows that there is very little chance that she can pull off a ruse to continue fooling the King, so why bother? "You have done much here, your majesty. But the most important thing that you have done is to call the attention of the Celestial Exalted to you, Solars and Lunars that have come in order to stop you from this rein of terror you have brought to the land. What have you to say to that? How will you answer to the Exalts that are even now coming to stop this war?"

Users who are viewing this thread

Back