• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

O Brave New World - IC

OOC
Here
Characters
Here
Lore
Here
Renna & Morrolan:

Lualhati's jaw clenches and he considers for a moment, "I can redouble our search, but I'm certain my people would be more motivated if you can promise my son's safety should he be found."

Rizal scoffs, "These Chosen risked their lives to save us, and still you play games with them? You would ask they swear to prevent us from honouring our agreement and thus sparing who knows how many lives?"

Lualhati ignores her, his gaze alternating between Renna and Morrolan, having judged the former to be in command and the latter most sympathetic.

Atusa:

Essence: 4; Willpower: 4/6; Join Battle: 9 dice Health Levels: -0x4/-1x4/-2x2/-4x2/Incap.
Personal Motes: 44/90
Actions: Appear Inanimate: 10 dice; Knowledge of Ea-Abzean Law: 10 dice; Ministry of Law Bureaucracy: 7 dice; Command: 6 dice; Feats of Strength: 14 dice (may attempt Strength 8 feats); Threaten: 7 dice
Appearance 3, Resolve 5 (see Automaton), Guile 4

Combat
Attack (Slashing sword): 14 dice (Damage 18, minimum 2)
Attack (Unarmed): 16 dice (Damage 15)
Attack (Grapple): 10 dice (14 dice to control)
Combat Movement: 6 dice
Evasion 1, Parry 4
Soak/Hardness: 14/7

Special Attacks
Colossus Strike: The automaton may make a powerful but slow-moving blow, devastating enemies but leaving itself vulnerable to attack. It may double 9s on a decisive attack, but takes a -2 penalty to Defense until its next turn.

Criminal Cowing Mien (Reflexive, 10m, 1wp): Upon rolling Join Battle, the Intransigent Pillar of Law may make an intimidate roll against all criminals present, penalizing their Resolve by the severity of their crimes. (-4 Defining infraction down to -2 for a Minor). If it succeeds, it strips initiative equal to the net successes (which is not awarded to Ragalabash), and they suffer a -2 penalty to all attempts to resist arrest unless they pay 1 wp to resist.

By Law Empowered: When enforcing the law, the Intransigent Pillar of Law may buy successes for 2m each, up to a limit based on the severity of the law it is enforcing. (4 successes for a Defining infraction down to 2 for a Minor)

Banish the Offender (Supplemental, Dual, 5m): The Intransigent Pillar of Law may trade points of damage for up to 3 range bands of knockback. For withering attacks, this trade is made at a 4:1 ratio, and can only be used if the damage is at least twice the victim's Stamina. For decisive attacks, this trade is made at 2:1 ratio. If the victim would strike a solid surface they take damage as if from falling.

Principle of Motion (10m, 1wp; Reflexive; Instant; Essence 2): The Intransigent Pillar of Law moves with blinding speed, taking a flurry without the usual restrictions—it can flurry two of the same action if desired, and it ignores the usual penalties to dice pools and Defense.

Merits
Automaton: Automatons are immune to poison and disease, and have no need to eat, drink, breathe, or sleep. As a general rule, they treat all social influence as unacceptable, unless following the orders of their master or faced with magic such as the Dawn Caste anima power. Automaton battle groups have perfect morale. Independent sapient automata, such as the statue of Tahaki Shant, are exceptions, but usually remain immune to fear.
Essence 3; Willpower 2/4; Join Battle: 9 dice; Personal: 70/80
Health Levels: −0x3/−1x2/−2x2/−4/Incap.
Actions: Wind Instruments: 9 dice; Read Intentions: 8 dice; Senses: 8 dice; Inflaming Passions: 11 dice; Social Influence: 6 dice

Evasion 4; Parry 4
Soak 8; Hardness 4

Appearance 4
Guile 3
Resolve 2

Aspects:
Hopeless Romantic
Flighty
Hell Hath No Fury
Intensely Curious
Atusa shrugs off the Intimidation attempt. No initiative damage. Sirocco loses 1i and pays a WP to negate the penalty.

Ragalabash: 12i -> 17i
Sirocco: 8i -> 4i
Atusa: 8i

Ragalabash pays 10m1wp for Principle of Motion to attack Atusa twice. Sirocco Defends Other to intercept. 7 hits beats Sirocco's Parry of 4, but with only 3 net hits he will not opt to try to strike Atusa. That hits Sirocco for 18 - 8 = 10 damage, and Ragalabash will use Banish the Offender to trade 8 of those to knock Sirocco back two range bands. Deals 4 damage on two dice, not bad.

Sirocco is now out of range for Defend Other, so the second attack will target Atusa with 16 dice, damage 15, buying 4 successes for 8m and also activating Banish the Offender for 5m. Declare your defenses.

Your iron resolve shatters the chains that would bind you, and seeing your continued defiance the statue moves to subdue you with a speed and ferocity that should be impossible for a hunk of stone its size, twisting its torso and lashing out with a wide arcing swing of its left hand. Sirocco intercepts and for her trouble is sent flying into the wall of the vault, dematerializing just before impact. The shockwave from the blow is enough to extinguish the tiny light flickering above your shoulder, and the statue follows up immediately with a straight right jab driving towards you with earthshaking force, its ruby eyes glowing brilliantly in the darkness that swallows the chamber.

Moswen watches with wide-eyed white-knuckled terror from her perch beside the doorway behind you, motioning for Hasani to descend immediately.

Last edited:
Renna & Morrolan:

Lualhati's jaw clenches and he considers for a moment, "I can redouble our search, but I'm certain my people would be more motivated if you can promise my son's safety should he be found."

Rizal scoffs, "These Chosen risked their lives to save us, and still you play games with them? You would ask they swear to prevent us from honouring our agreement and thus sparing who knows how many lives?"

Lualhati ignores her, his gaze alternating between Renna and Morrolan, having judged the former to be in command and the latter most sympathetic.
Renna fires off a glare that pins Lualhati to the wall as if he were a bug. With a calm voice, she says, "I do not recall making any sort of request here. Every day that we wait, every moment you delay, more lives are lost. If we face the Din in battle once more, the lives of my men are going to be lost, and all over the two missing people. Find them, and present them to me. Now."

While Renna glared and made her demand, Atusa watched Sirocco get batted away with a look of shock, and turned back just in time to see the statue stabbing at her with its khopesh. She bought her daiklaves up in an attempt to parry the blow, thinking that she'd need both arms in order to do so. As she did, a bright aura of gold emerged around her form, the Zenith figuring that she'd need to call upon her spiritual blessings for this fight.

She was really starting to regret wasting essence on trying to talk this statue down.

[Wound Penalty is one. Spending 6m on Martial Arts Excellency and claiming one-point stunt to increase my Parry by 4, giving me Parry 8 for this attack.]

Health Levels: X, X, X, -1, -1, -2, -2, -2, -2, -4, Incapacitated
Initiative: 5
Anima: Burning
Wound Penalty: -1

Personal Essence: 1/13
Peripheral Essence: 13/33
Committed Essence: 5
Willpower: 5/5
Offhand Charge: 0/7

Evasion 4, Parry 5
Armor: Buff Jacket (Soak 3, Mobility Penalty 0)
Natural Soak: 2
Armored Soak: 3
Hardness: 0

Renna & Morrolan:

The temperature in the room drops a few degrees and a silence falls over the chamber as Lualhati pales and slumps back into his chair, crestfallen, and Rizal's eyes narrow in triumph. Looks are exchanged between the Overseers, but they are inscrutable to you.

Vaktri breaks it, "Captain Renna. Overseer Lualhati made a very ill advised request, but I will remind you that you have been hired to serve this body, not command it."

"Must this body be commanded by an outsider to common sense? I will legitimize the Captain's eminently sensible request. I motion this body formally request Overseer Lualhati present his son and the wayward princess in this chamber tomorrow, or be arrested for treason," declares Rizal.

"You dare?" demands Lualhati, aghast.

"That is excessive, Overseer Rizal," opines Vaktri. It's clear she needs the votes of his faction to pass the motion. "Overseer Lualhati, my patience is not infinite. How soon can you present the boy?"

"I don't know where they are, but they are certainly not within these walls. I cannot simply pop down a shaft and surface them from nowhere! My shift's hunters are already searching, but it is slow and dangerous work."

"I'm given to understand the Captain commands many skilled scouts and swift cavalry. Perhaps they could speed your search," suggests Rizal dryly.

"Perhaps," offers Lualhati, guardedly.

"Captain, would you please assist the Overseer in finding his wayward son and returning him to us?"

Atusa:

11+4 = 15 successes, beating DV by 7. Damage is 15+7-5 = 17, spending 12 of that on knockback. 4L damage from impact. At Dex 5 + Athletics 2 I'll say Atusa can roll with the impact to avoid the other 7 dice of Bashing damage.

Ragalabash isn't meant to be punitive, it's just an obstacle that encourages either bringing allies like a Dawn + Full Moon if you want to fight it, a pair of clever Sorcerers if you want to get around it, or finding another unconventional approach to overcome it.

"NOT EVEN LAWGIVERS ARE ABOVE THE LAW," the statue declares before its fist hits your crossed blades with the force of an avalanche. Moswen has barely begun screaming your name when you hurtle passed her and across the shaft to slam into the far wall hard enough to fracture bone and knock the wind from your lungs. Only through your incredible reflexes and years of training do you manage to orient yourself in midair and cushion the blow with a roll, minimizing the damage but almost certainly dislocating your shoulder in the process - if you haven't broken it. For all your skill you find no purchase in the smooth stone of the rear wall of the shaft and begin plummeting into the darkness, disoriented and tumbling head over heels, your body awash with fiery pain.

"Atusa!" Moswen screams as you fall, and as you tumble you realize she's plummeting too - no, not plummeting, diving. Her arms and legs are tight to her body to maximize her velocity and she's gaining on you, but slowly. "Spread your arms and legs!" she calls, and the look of determination and singular focus on her face convinces you she hasn't just decided to commit suicide with her new crush in a fit of Djinn-like melodrama. You can't extend your right arm, but you understand immediately and extend your left arm and legs to slow your descent and stop your tumbling. Moments later she slams into you, wrapping her arms around your core and reorienting herself so she is cradling you in her arms above her knees. She lets out the cape she's been clutching tightly and immediately Aajej fills it with a great gust to push the two of you towards the wall. Moswen reaches out with her legs until the White Jade soles of her sandals touch the stone of the walls and then they stick, and suddenly she's grinding down the wall of the shaft, muscles straining to grasp you tightly to her, cape billowing over her shoulder like a small parachute, slowly arresting your descent until finally you come to a precarious rest.

Her back is against the wall, knees bent under her, the soles of her feet stuck fast to the stone. She holds you tightly in her arms, one under your shoulders, one under your knees, your weight balanced partially on her legs, breathing heavily. Her tears shine in the flickering light of the flame above her shoulder, "Atusa? Are you okay? Please be okay."

Last edited:
Renna & Morrolan:

The temperature in the room drops a few degrees and a silence falls over the chamber as Lualhati pales and slumps back into his chair, crestfallen, and Rizal's eyes narrow in triumph. Looks are exchanged between the Overseers, but they are inscrutable to you.

Vaktri breaks it, "Captain Renna. Overseer Lualhati made a very ill advised request, but I will remind you that you have been hired to serve this body, not command it."

"Must this body be commanded by an outsider to common sense? I will legitimize the Captain's eminently sensible request. I motion this body formally request Overseer Lualhati present his son and the wayward princess in this chamber tomorrow, or be arrested for treason," declares Rizal.

"You dare?" demands Lualhati, aghast.

"That is excessive, Overseer Rizal," opines Vaktri. It's clear she needs the votes of his faction to pass the motion. "Overseer Lualhati, my patience is not infinite. How soon can you present the boy?"

"I don't know where they are, but they are certainly not within these walls. I cannot simply pop down a shaft and surface them from nowhere! My shift's hunters are already searching, but it is slow and dangerous work."

"I'm given to understand the Captain commands many skilled scouts and swift cavalry. Perhaps they could speed your search," suggests Rizal dryly.

"Perhaps," offers Lualhati, guardedly.

"Captain, would you please assist the Overseer in finding his wayward son and returning him to us?"
Renna bites back a hot retort, closes her eyes a moment, and takes a deep breath to compose herself. It would seem that I have a possible ally in this Overseer Rizal, and may have made an enemy of Lualhati, and possibly one of Vaktri. Must be careful how I tread with that one. With a nod in the direction of Vaktri, she says, "My apologies, Overseer. The wounds that I suffered saving the lives of the people in this city have put me slightly off of my norm. Please, forgive my impertinence." It is clear in the tone of her voice that she is hardly crestfallen, and is simply giving lip service in her request for forgiveness.

"I will direct my best scouts and hunters to aid in the search for the missing pair. Of course, it will greatly aid this effort if I am given as much information about the pair as possible."

To Atusa, taking each impact - the statue's khopesh and the wall - was like getting rammed by a sandship. Only for the second one, she had no time to properly brace herself.

Excruciating pain was the first thing she became aware of, as well as the only thing. Soon though, she heard Moswen's voice, sounding like it was coming from miles away despite literally being in the other woman's arms, but as she recovered, it gradually became clearer.

"Ugh...I've been better. But if it wasn't for you, I could be a lot worse." she whispered, looking up at Moswen in a way that would convey gratitude, along with a wry assurance that everything would be fine.

"Where's Sirocco? Because we need to get out of here." she said. "I don't know how much of this place that thing has free reign to patrol, and right now I'm in no condition to fight him."

It was worse than that, she thought. Even if she were in perfect condition, she might be outmatched here, and the last time she had felt something along those lines since her Exaltation had been with Acekara. It was a very disconcerting thought to say the least, a reminder that even the Chosen of the Unconquered Sun were not invulnerable.
Can I concede and have Atusa, Sirocco, Moswen, Aejej and Hasani escape back outside?
Health Levels: X, X, X, X, X, X, X, -2, -2, -4, Incapacitated
Wound Penalty: -2

Peripheral Essence: 13/33

Evasion 4, Parry 5

Renna & Morrolan:

Goal: Put the name Red Arms Company on the lips of every notable in the Principate, and get paid doing it.
Obstacles:
Name [Number of Points to Overcome] (Notes)
Break the Siege of Kabir [2/2] - COMPLETE
A Ferocious Army of Dev [1/4] (The Eight-Forged King's army of Dev are spread out over the countryside pillaging. You could defeat them in detail fairly easily, at significant cost to the populace, or try to cause them to form up for pitched battle to stop them from doing more harm.)
Neutralize The Lord of Ash [0/2] (The only Sorcerer amongst the Eight-Forged King's retinue. Draw him out in one of your battles to kill him, distract him, assassinate him, or otherwise prevent him from interfering by summoning demons.)
The Hall of Enduring Silence [0/2] (The great gates and heavy fortifications make a direct assault costly, but more frightening still are its breath-stealing enchantments, and its ability to summon vicious sandstorms.)
Neutralize The Eight-Forged King [0/2] (Cow, murder, drive off, etc.)

The Overseers answer all of your questions, but the most useful information proves to be a report from a small mining settlement of a young man in a hooded robe buying foodstuffs and packed firedust with sacks of cut rubies, emeralds, and sapphires. They provide you with a white cabochon flecked with sparkling pink that prevents the Din from travelling through the earth for miles around, keeping your camp secure as you travel to investigate.

Rogosh didn't earn the name 'Eagle Eye' from his people for nothing. You're fairly certain he could track a snowflake through a blizzard or, perhaps more appropriately given none of these Southerners has ever seen a blizzard, a grain of sand through a sandstorm.

"Picked up where these, whadyacallem, Hisari? Kabiri? Whatever, these local hunters left off," explains Rogosh as you pick your way up a rocky slope, a fine dusting of ash coating everything except the cacti. "They didn't do half bad. Picked up a few things they missed and managed to follow the trail a bit further, but it just up and vanished in a small hollow. Or should I say down and vanished. Musta' stared at that ground for what felt like hours, but there was a pattern to the way the earth was disturbed. Like ripples. Got myself up on a nearby rock and had a look about, and sure enough a few hundred metres away I saw the same pattern."

Wisdom's Star gives him a flat look from atop her horse, "After multiple ash storms, from hundreds of metres away, you spotted 'ripples in the earth'?"

Rogosh grins, clearly pleased with himself, and shrugs casually, "Dragons' blood is good stuff. Okay, so it didn't hurt that I can feel the way whatever they're doin' changes the earth where they pass through, just a little bit." Wisdom's Star snorts. "So I figure whoever's travellin' through the earth, they can't breathe down there. They have to come up for air every so often. That's good. Means they'll be camping on the surface somewhere. So I followed the trail, and they kept surfacin', and eventually - well, you'll see, sir, just up here."

He leads you up to the crest of the ridge where several of your soldiers crouch amongst the rocks, all but invisible in their cloaks. The soldiers are breaking their fast on goat jerky and cold tea, but they stop to salute quietly as you approach.

"Anyone in or out since I been gone, Sergeant?" asks Rogosh, quietly.

"No, sir. All quiet."

Rogosh nods and points across a small valley, painted in brilliant reds, oranges, and yellows in the early dawn light, at a group of natural caves that run into the side of the mountain. "Over there. Just last night someone came out in a cloak. Stretchin' their legs maybe. Haven't seen anyone else so far. Should still be inside if I haven't missed anything."

Atusa:

[One FP for conceding. Ragalabash's only goal is to get you out of this building, so everyone will be able to get away safely.]

"Oh, thank Merecheas," Moswen sighs in relief and leans in to kiss you. "Right. Yeah. Don't need to tell me twice. Let's get out of here."

"Right here, Radiance," whispers Siroccos' heat shimmer haze, barely visible in the gloom except for her eyes burning bright with fury. "Our vengeance for this slight must wait for a better day, but on that day it will burn all the brighter."

"Atusa isn't going to hurt me - Aajej, please see to Hasani," requests Moswen as she takes a deep breath and takes your weight in her arms before resuming her sliding descent, alighting in the lobby from which you entered on a gust of wind, crouching as she lands to cushion the impact amidst a chorus of gasps and a sudden flurry of activity. "Stretcher!" she calls as she lays you gently on the stone floor.

"Guardian spirit?" asks Matsimela, voice tight with concern.

Moswen nods. "Watch for Kheru Hasani. Everyone out with him," she orders, helping the soldiers lift you onto a stretcher of ironwood and canvas before grabbing one corner and gesturing towards the door, "We're getting the Nomarch back to her ship. Let's go!"

---

The surgery aboard the Mandjet has spilled out into the adjoining berths, packed with the casualties from the battle against the Raksha, but space is immediately cleared for you and your dislocated shoulder is soon set and your arm put in a splint. Gyasi's horror at your condition abates as she assesses the extent of your injuries and realizes that with your miraculous healing ability you'll be fine in a day or two. She holds a cup of bitter tasting tea to your lips to numb the pain and fusses over you, pressing a poultice against your shoulder and gently wrapping it with linen bandages. "Please try harder next time, Radiance," she pleads, "Even you can't take much more of this." Moswen sits quietly nearby, trying with some success to avoid getting in anyone's way. None of her family's Djinn watch over her, but Sirocco does not leave your side.

Gahiji's gravelly voice comes from somewhere behind you, heavy with bitterness and shame, "You chastise her Radiance for our failure. Twice we have allowed you to be injured today. Would that I might have died to prevent it. Instead my failure is so complete I will never again be able to fulfill my duty."

Sirocco's eyes flash in anger and frustration. "You gave everything to protect her Radiance and have nothing to be ashamed of," declares Gyasi before glaring at Moswen, "The Bintanath did not. She was your guest, and you were supposed to keep her safe."

Moswen cringes, and looks about to retort angrily when the fire goes out of her. "That's...! I - Yeah, okay, I - I should have known better. Should have drilled through the ceiling, or rigged up a lift. Anything but suggesting you attack a guardian spirit head on," she sighs, "That was stupid of me. Sorry."

[One FP for conceding. Ragalabash's only goal is to get you out of this building, so everyone will be able to get away safely.]

"Oh, thank Merecheas," Moswen sighs in relief and leans in to kiss you. "Right. Yeah. Don't need to tell me twice. Let's get out of here."

"Right here, Radiance," whispers Siroccos' heat shimmer haze, barely visible in the gloom except for her eyes burning bright with fury. "Our vengeance for this slight must wait for a better day, but on that day it will burn all the brighter."

"Atusa isn't going to hurt me - Aajej, please see to Hasani," requests Moswen as she takes a deep breath and takes your weight in her arms before resuming her sliding descent, alighting in the lobby from which you entered on a gust of wind, crouching as she lands to cushion the impact amidst a chorus of gasps and a sudden flurry of activity. "Stretcher!" she calls as she lays you gently on the stone floor.

"Guardian spirit?" asks Matsimela, voice tight with concern.

Moswen nods. "Watch for Kheru Hasani. Everyone out with him," she orders, helping the soldiers lift you onto a stretcher of ironwood and canvas before grabbing one corner and gesturing towards the door, "We're getting the Nomarch back to her ship. Let's go!"

---

The surgery aboard the Mandjet has spilled out into the adjoining berths, packed with the casualties from the battle against the Raksha, but space is immediately cleared for you and your dislocated shoulder is soon set and your arm put in a splint. Gyasi's horror at your condition abates as she assesses the extent of your injuries and realizes that with your miraculous healing ability you'll be fine in a day or two. She holds a cup of bitter tasting tea to your lips to numb the pain and fusses over you, pressing a poultice against your shoulder and gently wrapping it with linen bandages. "Please try harder next time, Radiance," she pleads, "Even you can't take much more of this." Moswen sits quietly nearby, trying with some success to avoid getting in anyone's way. None of her family's Djinn watch over her, but Sirocco does not leave your side.

Gahiji's gravelly voice comes from somewhere behind you, heavy with bitterness and shame, "You chastise her Radiance for our failure. Twice we have allowed you to be injured today. Would that I might have died to prevent it. Instead my failure is so complete I will never again be able to fulfill my duty."

Sirocco's eyes flash in anger and frustration. "You gave everything to protect her Radiance and have nothing to be ashamed of," declares Gyasi before glaring at Moswen, "The Bintanath did not. She was your guest, and you were supposed to keep her safe."

Moswen cringes, and looks about to retort angrily when the fire goes out of her. "That's...! I - Yeah, okay, I - I should have known better. Should have drilled through the ceiling, or rigged up a lift. Anything but suggesting you attack a guardian spirit head on," she sighs, "That was stupid of me. Sorry."

"Enough."

Atusa's voice was calm, but nevertheless commanding, quietly demanding that everyone within a few meters be quiet and listen to her.

She addressed the Bintanath woman first. "Moswen, don't blame yourself for what happened. It was my decision to fight with that Guardian Spirit while I was still recovering from the battle with Acekara, and I take full responsibility for any consequences of that. You meanwhile did more to save me than I would have expected of many a mortal, especially one not of my clan. For that, I am most grateful to you."

She then turned to her concubine. "Gyasi. I will always welcome your concern for me, and I appreciate that you weren't with us to see what happened within the Hall of Justice. But as I said, Moswen is not to blame for what happened to me, and I might have ended up far worse were it not for her."

It occurred to her that, with regards to Gyasi and Moswen, this was possibly among the worst in terms of first impressions. Putting this thought aside, she turned to the captain of her guard, trying to ignore the pain in her chest. After the encounter with that guardian, speaking like this probably wasn't the best thing for her health.

"Gahiji, you were injured prior to our arrival, leading our people in battle against our foes. Under such circumstances, it would be most unfair for either of us to blame you for failing to protect me on this occasion. Besides, if something was able to harm me, odds are that you would have struggled to avoid being hurt by it. And there is only so much sacrifice for my sake that I can appreciate, before I start to feel guilty."

She then exhaled, and spoke in a slightly softer voice. "Try to focus upon what we have gained here, rather than the setbacks we have encountered. We now know where the artefacts we seek lay, and what guards them. I am going to rest up, and give time to finish treating all of our injured. Once that is done, we can consider how to deal with this guardian."

Once her shoulder had been set back into place, she swung her legs over the edge of the bed and then stood up, ignoring any protests from anyone less puissant than a Djinn. "I will be returning to my cabin. Bed rest is all that I will require now. If anyone needs me, you may find me there."

Pass. Gonna hold off on making another attempt on the orbs until Atusa's fully recovered. Assuming the effects of Body-Mending Meditation still apply here.

Also going to roll Charisma + Presence to Inspire Hope in everyone around Atusa right now. -2 wound penalty and -3 Penalty for influencing more than one person, but going to spend 4m Peripheral Essence on my Presence Excellency and claim a one-point stunt for one extra bonus dice.

Whew. Just about managed to avoid botching there. One success.
Health Levels: X, X, X, X, X, X, X, -2, -2, -4, Incapacitated
Wound Penalty: -2

Peripheral Essence: 9/33

Evasion 4, Parry 5

The Overseers answer all of your questions, but the most useful information proves to be a report from a small mining settlement of a young man in a hooded robe buying foodstuffs and packed firedust with sacks of cut rubies, emeralds, and sapphires. They provide you with a white cabochon flecked with sparkling pink that prevents the Din from travelling through the earth for miles around, keeping your camp secure as you travel to investigate.

Rogosh didn't earn the name 'Eagle Eye' from his people for nothing. You're fairly certain he could track a snowflake through a blizzard or, perhaps more appropriately given none of these Southerners has ever seen a blizzard, a grain of sand through a sandstorm.

"Picked up where these, whadyacallem, Hisari? Kabiri? Whatever, these local hunters left off," explains Rogosh as you pick your way up a rocky slope, a fine dusting of ash coating everything except the cacti. "They didn't do half bad. Picked up a few things they missed and managed to follow the trail a bit further, but it just up and vanished in a small hollow. Or should I say down and vanished. Musta' stared at that ground for what felt like hours, but there was a pattern to the way the earth was disturbed. Like ripples. Got myself up on a nearby rock and had a look about, and sure enough a few hundred metres away I saw the same pattern."

Wisdom's Star gives him a flat look from atop her horse, "After multiple ash storms, from hundreds of metres away, you spotted 'ripples in the earth'?"

Rogosh grins, clearly pleased with himself, and shrugs casually, "Dragons' blood is good stuff. Okay, so it didn't hurt that I can feel the way whatever they're doin' changes the earth where they pass through, just a little bit." Wisdom's Star snorts. "So I figure whoever's travellin' through the earth, they can't breathe down there. They have to come up for air every so often. That's good. Means they'll be camping on the surface somewhere. So I followed the trail, and they kept surfacin', and eventually - well, you'll see, sir, just up here."

He leads you up to the crest of the ridge where several of your soldiers crouch amongst the rocks, all but invisible in their cloaks. The soldiers are breaking their fast on goat jerky and cold tea, but they stop to salute quietly as you approach.

"Anyone in or out since I been gone, Sergeant?" asks Rogosh, quietly.

"No, sir. All quiet."

Rogosh nods and points across a small valley, painted in brilliant reds, oranges, and yellows in the early dawn light, at a group of natural caves that run into the side of the mountain. "Over there. Just last night someone came out in a cloak. Stretchin' their legs maybe. Haven't seen anyone else so far. Should still be inside if I haven't missed anything."
Renna gives Rogosh a smile. "Good work, my friend. Now, we just need to learn more about what lies inside those caves." She looks over at Morrolan and asks, "Think that you can slip in using one of your other forms and give us a sneak peek? Perhaps you can get lucky and find this wizard and introduce him to Zelator before he knows you are even there."

Psychie Psychie

The Lunar shrugs, then says, "I can give it a try. Worst case scenario, I run out of there and lead those following me in to your arms to be dealt with. I just don't have very many sneaky forms other than my sand swimmer. I really need to expand my library of available forms to shift into."

Renna smiles. "Go in only if you feel it is safe to do so. I do not want to lose you. Be careful. We can always go about this in another way if you feel uneasy about this."

Morrolan looks a bit uneasy. "I am hardly the most stealthy person out there. My idea of not being heard is to thunk anyone upside the head that might have noticed me. Perhaps another way can be come up with? I would hate to reveal our presence out here by being caught like that."

Renna does nod, saying, "Yes, it is true that you are hardly the most . . . silent of companions. Hmmm. Perhaps the two of us should simply walk up and try to talk? I would avoid a mass slaughter here if I can."

Morrolan shrugs. "What's the worst that can happen? We be faced by a army of Din? Psht. Nothing we can't handle." He grins at her, then says, "Seriously, I will follow your lead in this, and if things go bad, I will get us out alive."

Atusa:

Moswen gives you a relieved smile, and then a wry look at the 'pretty good for a mortal' appraisal. She has enough sense of decorum to recognize this isn't the setting for flippancy, and defers to your authority, bowing, "Thank you for your kind words, Nomarch. It was the least I could do to repay my debt."

Gyasi nods, "Yes, Radiance."

Your words raise the spirits of the room, eliciting a few smiles from the wounded visible through the thick haze of disease-spirit repelling incense, but serve as a sour reminder for what's left of your personal guard that since your ascension their role is no longer to protect you so much as to keep the riff raff away. Such is the price of protecting one of the Exalted. When you depart and see the damage to Gahiji's legs you do not need to be told they will have to be amputated. The pain must be excruciating, but you're certain that if he survives he'll be drilling his replacement far sooner than the surgeons would advise.

By comparison, two days rest aboard the Mandjet sees you restored to perfect health. Captain Jabari smiles as you return to full duty, "It's good to see you well, Radiance. The Keeper says we have a week's worth of water remaining, and we are at your command."

Did you order the fleet to travel anywhere while you were recuperating? Regardless, you can set your next scene or let me know what you'd like it to be and I'll set it.

Renna & Morrolan:

By the flickering light of firewater soaked torches you advance confidently through the twisting passages of the cavern, Rogosh and a few of the scouts by your side as the rest keep watch outside. The air down here is dry, hot, and stale, with a sulfurous stench, but it's out of the wind and the abrasive ash it carries. It doesn't take long for you to emerge into a large chamber dominated by what you can only describe as a multi-storey place of mirror-smooth crystal in soft pink and white, with a dozen towers rising above colonnaded courtyards filled with delicately carved gardens so lifelike it takes a moment for you to realize everything is carved from crystal and gem. Everything is bathed in the pale light of luminous stones of varying sizes, from those the size of a horse set in the top of the towers through the fist sized stones mounted in wall sconces to the smallest teardrop and fingertip sized stones decorating elaborate light fixtures hanging from ceilings.

Extraordinarily lifelike marble statues can be seen scattered throughout the gardens and hallways, like they simply paused to rest a moment ago and were encased in a thin shell of stone, and at any moment they might shake it off in a shower of white dust and resume what they were doing. It takes you a few moments to notice the one real human among all this visual splendor, a young man dressed in a heavy brown roughspun travelling cloak with the hood down to reveal dark brown skin, messy brown hair, and pale green eyes, legs up on a long banquet table running through a garden, munching on a stick of goat jerky. When he notices you've entered he nearly chokes and topples over backwards off the bench he was sitting on with a yelp.

"Demons!" he exclaims, pulling himself up to peer over the top of the table with an exaggerated wide-eyed expression, "Run away or they'll get you!" He takes a moment to examine you more closely, then calls out less urgently, "Those weapons are huge and you don't look scared of demons, so you're probably mad or Exalted or both. Would you believe this cave is very boring and -" he glances around and sighs, deflating, "No, I wouldn't, either. Alright then, you might as well have a seat if you like. There aren't actually any demons here, just these creepy statues." He glances at one of the nearby statues which seems to be looking back at him, "What? I wouldn't call you creepy if you'd stop looking at me like that." Suddenly, without any apparent motion in between, the statue's head has turned away from him.

Renna gives a grin. "Well, you don't seem to be afraid of the possibility of being faced with mad Exalts, so what does that say about you? I am Renna Talbert, Chosen of the Sun and leader of the Red Arms. This big guy next to me is Morrolan, my second in command and Chosen of Luna. These other fellows are members of the Red Arms. Now that you have my name, would you do us the honor of telling us yours and what your business is here?"

Renna & Morrolan:

Now that you're closer you can see he's young. The voluminous cloak hides it, but he's only a little bit older than the green boys who fill out mercenary companies - and shortly thereafter graves - everywhere. He still has the spots of youth on his face, but the bags under his eyes, sallow complexion, and the wary, almost haunted look in his eye suggest he may grey sooner than most if he keeps up his present lifestyle. Family resemblance is never a sure thing, but you wouldn't be unduly shocked if this were Overseer Lualhati's fabled son - they have similar eyes and jawlines.

He's clearly afraid, but he's concealing it reasonably well and holding himself together for now. "There's no need for theatrics to intimidate me - Sun Chosen are just faerie stories told to scare children. I assure you, I'm suitably terrified of you whatever you are - your man over there has a spear bigger than I am, and an arm fit to use it - but terror has become my bosom companion over the last few months and we are well acquainted she and I." He pauses awkwardly for a few moments, "That sounded less depressing and more impressive in my head."

"Name and business here, huh? Okay, uhhh, look, let's level with each other: You weren't just taking a casual stroll through the hills when you ended up here, and given you're, well, you, these Red Arms are, what, bandits? Mercenaries? I like you well enough, Miss Renna, but what would it cost me to have you tell me how you found this place, leave, and forget you ever did? I can pay in gems. Not these ones," he gestures at the blossoms of a flowering bush beside him, "They're pretty enough, but they just turn to sand if you take them outside. Believe me, I've tried. But I can get you the real thing - and if you're thinking you can just kill me and take them, that won't work," he adds hastily, voice breaking a little bit, "They're not easy to find."

Morrolan looks closely at the boy, and says, "You are Dalisay, are you not? You have your father's eyes." He looks around at the room to see if there is any sign of the girl that is supposedly with him. "You do realize that blood is being shed over you and the King's daughter? Where is she? Is she here, with you? I would like to hear your side of the story before we jump to any rash actions and simply haul you back by the scruff of your neck."

He pauses, then says, "Please, tell us what has happened to you to bring you here. We can be powerful allies to you, if you do as we ask."

Atusa had given orders for the Mandjet and her other two ships to remain docked near the Palace of Justice while she and everyone else recovered. No other attempts to deal with the Guardian were made by either the Hematti or the Bintanath, the other clan presumably believing that they'd need the help of Atusa to have any chance of success there. Not that the Hematti Nomarch was confident in her own chances, what with how her previous encounter with the guardian had gone. If she was to make another attempt, it would have to be with multiple supernatural allies of decent strength standing alongside her, which raised the issue of where to find such allies.

As she looked towards the Palace of Justice from the starboard side of the Mandjet, the Zenith exhaled in frustration. In her mind, this expedition had so far been a complete disaster. She'd failed to obtain the Orbs, she'd been bested by the Guardian, too many of her people had ended up dead or maimed for nothing, and she'd made next to no progress convincing Aejej to give up her claim on Hasani. If anything, all she'd obtained was a long lesson about how she still had weaknesses and failings, despite how the Unconquered Sun had chosen her.

She then became aware of approaching footsteps. She'd ordered her personal guard and any of the crew not engaged in their duties to give her some space while keeping her in their sights, meaning that anyone who came up to her would almost certainly have something to say. Making an effort to work her expression into one of calm serenity, she turned around and saw a member of her crew.

"What is it?" she asked.

"Apologies, Radiance." replied the crewmember, a young man who looked nervous for a reason other than simply addressing his Nomarch. "I bring grave news. We've just had word from the Fayum; Nomarch Chuma is dead."

Atusa's eyes immediately widened in surprise. Last she had heard, Nomarch Chuma was in reasonably good health. Far too good to have died suddenly.

[What kind of ruler was Chuma? What prior dealings did he have with the Hematti? Is there anything else that you imagine would shape Atusa's feelings towards him?]

---

"Our liege lord is dead." Atusa explained to Khaemsawet, the two of them meeting onboard his ship. Naturally, Hasani and Moswen were among those gathered, the latter standing out to Atusa like a diamond among rubies. "We're not giving up on those Orbs, but for the time being, we cannot remain here. There will be the matter of Chuma's funerary rites, and the matter of his successor, to attend to. I know not how things are likely to unfold in the weeks to come."

She assumed Khaemwaset would understand. Succession crises were not exactly uncommon to the Fayum. The choices Atusa made during such an event could either destroy the Hematti, or raise them to greater power and influence.

[What does Atusa know about Chuma's other children? If you feel she wouldn't know anything due to a lack of prior interactions/investigations, this is fine.]

Going along with the Storyteller's suggestion in this post, and spending a Fate Point to cause Chuma's assassination.
Health Levels: 0, -1, -1, -1, -1, -2, -2, -2, -2, -4, Incapacitated
Initiative:
Anima: Dim
Wound Penalty: 0

Personal Essence: 13/13
Peripheral Essence: 28/33

Evasion 4, Parry 5

Renna looks at the young man and gives a gentle smile. "My friend here is right. We may be able to help, if you give us something to work with. My main goal is to stop the fighting, but there are many ways to do that."

Renna & Morrolan

The boy pales further at the mention of the name Dalisay, enough to make you wonder if there's any blood left in his head at all. He sits in a daze, eyes unfocused for several seconds until Renna's mention of 'many ways' to end the fighting jolts him into the present moment. He leaps to his feat and stumbles backwards several steps, careening into a beautiful sapphire rose bush and nearly losing his footing as he bounces off it, "I'm not going back!" he declares, eyes wild, lips curled into a snarl, "How did you know about Gem? Who sent you? It must have been the King. He could hire Exalted. I'd sooner die!"

His hand is reaching for a knife at his belt with all the speed his mortal hands can muster, but to you it seems almost comically slow. He's panicking, and probably going to do something stupid like hold the knife up to his own neck.

Atusa

Chuma Fayum rode high and far on those winds of change Khaemwaset is always on about. Weak in the blood of the Djinn, the Fayum had fallen far over the centuries and were a minor vassal of the Asyut when Chuma succeeded his mother as Nomarch more than fourty Calibrations ago. He wasted no time putting his mother's plans into action, striking like the lightning in his blood with their new Thunderbird allies and their sandships devoted almost entirely to carrying kites, their thunder warriors raining bolts of lightning from the sky like Sassarin skyships, burning sails and shattering masts. Chuma proved himself a ferocious warrior and skilled general, and at the Battle of Djahy he broke the Asyut fleet, killed their Nomarch, and seized one of their Townships.

He spent much of his reign legitimizing his rule, redistributing trade routes, water contracts, and choice prospecting grounds away from his enemies to win new vassals and expand his domain. He granted your father several excellent trade routes prized from the broken hands of the Asyut and the Yamu - routes you still hold today - as part of the deal that saw him swear fealty, but only after winning several skirmishes decisively to send a clear message.

Chuma also expended much effort fighting the Court of Bleached Bone and earned renown for his victories to further legitimize his rule, often to the detriment of administration of his lands. He was a conqueror and a warrior, but relied almost entirely on retainers, and later his children, to manage the court and see to his non-military duties. His official court was infamously fatal and his temper legendarily short, such that nothing of real substance was therein discussed, and it mostly served as a pantomime to flatter his ego, deliver proclamations, and see his enemies publicly ridiculed. Matters of import were handled in shadow courts held in salons, only the final decisions, once settled and approved, being presented at court to minimize the chance of drawing Chuma's ire.

As a new vassal of the Fayum, you fostered with them for two years growing up, so you know Chuma's children well.

[In retrospect it makes no sense that you and Hasani had never met, so I'll say when he introduced himself back here he was referring to the stories he's heard about you since you last met. Perhaps it had been many years since you both attended the same court, or the same large gathering of clans.]

Pick 3, and rank them by most favoured to take the crown to least:
  1. One was every bit their father, hot headed and intemperate such that Dakarai seems calm and collected by comparison, adept at leading from the front and inventive battlefield tactics. A battlefield commander and legendary thunder warrior worthy of their father's legacy.
  2. One was a dark mirror to their father, disciplined and cold but vicious a cruel, with a talent for logistics and organization. A terrifying personal combatant, inspired administrator, and skilled general.
  3. One was clever and cunning, but lacked their father's inspired aptitude for violence, instead listening to whispers on the wind and starting wildfire rumours. A spymaster and socialite.
  4. One had their head in the clouds, sent to boarding school in Kibrat Erbettim they came home with foreign mannerisms and tastes, strange occult powers, and friends in high places - both literally and metaphorically. An occultist with ties to the Principate.
  5. One was a hierophant and prophet, a fiery leader on a battlefield of words and ideas that sought to quietly transform the Keepers of the Amphoras from disparate quasi-mystical cults into a unified and powerful organization that crossed clan boundaries. A priest and visionary.
  6. One was a scion harkening back to the family's roots before their long fall from grace, tied to earth and water. A wealthy and successful merchant who has negotiated many treaties with the settled clans and other powers.
  7. One was fast as the wind and just as flighty, a handsome dilettante, avid sailor and explorer, libertine, and eternal disappointment to their father. Hasani is locked in, and ranked least likely.
  8. Someone else entirely [Feel free to replace them all with your own ideas].

For each you can pick one, and optionally answer the question (If you don't, I will). You can pick one for Hasani, too, if you like, as well as nobles from other vassals like the broken Asyut who were fostered at the same time:
  • You were close when you were younger, but suffered a falling out. Why?
  • They were older and distant, a semi-mythical figure for you growing up. What do they remember fondly about you?
  • You had a months-long tryst that eventually ended in tears. Whose fault was it?
  • You hated each other from the moment you met, and were glad to see the last of each other. Why?
  • You learned a terrible secret about them, and have borne it in silence ever since. What was it?
  • You got off on the wrong foot, but something forged a close bond between you that lasts to this day, though your respective duties mean you don't see each other nearly as often as you'd like. What brought you together?
  • Something else entirely [Add any options you like].
Optionally, who killed Chuma? 'None of his children' is a valid answer, and you can nominate anyone you like.

John & Hazel

[@D. Rex I'm going to treat Hazel as an NPC until your schedule opens up enough that you can play again, so poor Rykon Rykon isn't blocked indefinitely. Just let me know when you're back, or feeling inspired and would like to toss in a post so I know to hold off.]

Hazel abruptly comes up short as at the end of the busy market street the beautiful moon garden comes into view, her eyes darting about under her wide-brimmed hat, seeking something. She turns to you and leans in, "Witches can change shape," she states matter of factly, as if daring you to disagree, "I'm a witch. So it will not shock you when I leave and return as a cat, yes? You will walk, and I will follow." She slips off, ignoring any inconvenient questions, and moments later a black cat emerges from the crowd to rub affectionately against your leg, gesturing with its tail for you to set off towards the temple. It walks carefully in your shadow the entire way, disappearing once inside the cool dark interior of the temple - unbeknownst to John, Erembour sighs contentedly the moment the threshold is crossed - only to return moments later in human form.

The air is cool and moist, redolent with the scent of the night-flowering plants of the jungle, and John has the uncanny sense that the Sun is both exactly where it should be for this time of day and long since set. The temple walls are woven from branches as thick as ordinary trunks set with tall amber windows depicting sacred scenes from the Lady's mythology. The temple has several deep still pools that reflect tables piled high with offerings, despite there being no tables to cast them. Offerings tossed into the pools by supplicants sink beneath the surface without a ripple only to appear on the tables, tended to by monks in this mirror-world. Rather than a roof, the temple opens impossibly onto a star-filled night sky with eight moons, each in a different phase. A statue depicting the Lady of the Forest stands in the centre of the chamber, crowned in antlers, with vertical reptilian pupils and long snake fangs extending over her lips, bearing a warding sigil and a monkeyfruit in each of her outstretched hands. It's difficult to discern where her mantle of shimmering feathers, petals, and scales ends and her skin begins.

In the real world only a single monk, a muscular Wadjeti (Snake-folk) with polished yellow scales, simple brown robes, bare feet, and an ironwood symbol of the Lady's warding sigil hung around his neck is meditating in the corner above a pool reflecting one of the moons, available for petitioners. The people of Javurwa are busy with the harvest, and the temple is mostly empty right now.

Last edited:
Seeing the boy going for his knife, Morrolan moves Zelator in a quick swing, but not to kill. Instead, the Lunar swings to take the footing out from under the panicking boy, and with any luck, he will send the knife flying out of his hand as he falls. In a very calm voice, Morrolan says, "Now, now. Lets not do anything rash. We are not here to take you back, but we do wish to talk to you. Can you please think of us as the outlanders that we are, and we have little knowledge of the politics of this situation? As I said before, we are here to help you."

OOC what is the roll for a knockdown attempt? A standard Withering attack?

Renna quickly moves forward and pushes Dalisay's chest down with her hand, kneeling next to him. Looking him dead in the eye and with a calm voice, she says, "We are not your enemy. Let us help you by talking to us. Please, be calm and let us know what is going on."

OOC Rolling Pre + Cha to calm him and get the boy to talk.
5 successes

John steps casually across the temple threshold taking in the sights of its geomancy as though he looked through a new pair of eyes. It took great effort to pry his eyes away from the intricate patterns that formed into the walls and his thoughts from the reflections in the pool or the starry display overhead. When he could focus long enough to make his way to the monk he cleared his throat before speaking. "Greetings, I'm here to initiate the ward hunt. I believe you know what mark I must seek, do you not?"

Renna & Morrolan
Mortals usually have a Resolve of 2, and leveraging a Major Intimacy would push him up by 3 to 5. Defenders win ties in Social Influence, if I recall, but I made the mistake of failing to disclose his Resolve in advance, so I'll give this one to Renna. I'm assuming Renna is Instilling a Minor Tie of Trust towards herself and Morrolan.

Morrolan effortlessly sweeps the boy's legs out from under him and he tumbles to the ground in a heap with a surprised yelp. Before he can so much as twitch Renna is above him, pinning his body with a hand and his attention with her gaze. The shadow of a forlorn defiance flickers across his face before the sheer force of your presence sees you send it crashing down like the boy himself. He relents, relaxing slightly, perhaps for the first time in weeks, as he accepts both the futility of escape and his relative safety. With relaxation the dam cracks and a long accumulating reservoir of tears begin to flow. "How can I be calm when I can never go home again? The only thing keeping me hidden from the King is Gem, and she isn't ready to meet other people, and I'm not sure it will ever be a good idea, and they're probably going to send some other kid in my place, and I don't know what I'm going to do when the food runs out, and..." he looks like he's having some trouble breathing, and now that you've got him going he could go on for quite a while if left uninterrupted.

John & Hazel
Hazel falls into step slightly behind you, looking up at the 'sky', whether in contemplation or to dissect how it works you couldn't say. The monk cocks an eye-ridge at John as his eyelids retract to the sides and he contemplates you coolly. "Well, boy? Amongst the Lady's virtues is not patience, and neither mine. Show me your master's sigil and your tassel. I don't recognize your clothing - are you a new sect?" he asks dubiously.

[He's demanding proof you're a sufficiently highly seated member of one of the great martial arts sects of Locura, almost all of whom have several major schools in Javurwa. You don't look like you're here petitioning for a hunt on behalf of a great family - no retainers, no mon, wrong dress - and you don't look like a Sorcerer-Prince or a similarly powerful warrior who might reasonably call for an independent hunt and not simply get themselves killed.]

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back