• If your recruitment thread involves completely going off site with your partner(s) then it belongs in the Off-Site Ad Area.
  • This area of the site is governed by the official Recruitment rules. Whether you are looking for players or looking for a roleplay, we recommend you read them and familiarize your self with them. Read the Recruitment Rules Here.

Multiple Settings Novel Comics Cinematic Universe | Optimistic-Realist Superhero RP | Interest Check

Main Post
  • Gadg8eer

K.i.D Player 10
    Roleplay Availability
    Roleplay Type(s)
    My Interest Check
    2019-Present: Connectivity War (also Zombies)
    The aesthetic(s) of the current era has yet to truly be defined, although unfortunately Corporate Memphis is a strong candidate.

In 2019 a remarkably intelligent zombie virus emerged from contaminated meat at a butcher market in China. Causing a disease known as ZOVID-19 (short for Zombie Virus Disease 2019), victims brains fall into a coma and the quasi-sentient virus takes control of the body, seeking to spread itself by biting, scratching, sneezing, coughing, spitting, vomiting, leaving human waste in heavily-trafficked areas (ew), sharing needles with hard drug users (for some reason), romancing or seducing people (well, drunk people and/or people with no common sense; also, no, intercourse CANNOT be described in a backstory or during play), and in rare cases - mainly those of dying individuals in possession of organ donor cards - committing suicide.

The virus was never fully contained. A worldwide lockdown slowed the virus' spread for the next two years until it could later be vaccinated in 2021, but 6.6 million people worldwide were eaten by zombies, and 633 million have been permanently afflicted with organ damage and neuropathy following infection, even after eventually recovering from the virus' control.

As expected, superheroes and Geniuses proved critical to saving the world from the zombie plague, with heroes globally providing food via rooftops or windows to ordinary people trapped indoors by the hordes of zombies. For Geniuses and everyone else, including heroes who were either too vulnerable to the zombies or simply off-duty, the world went fully online. Everything, and I mean everything, was done in the Metaverse. While the experience proved that despite advances in VR, nobody wants to live in a world where everything smells like your house and abandoned children's playgrounds would become archaeological dig sites in 2000 years, the changes this made to the workplace were already self-evident. Before ZOVID, nobody was allowed to work at home because it supposedly couldn't be done effectively. After, it became clear the only reason people with office jobs still drove to work was because middle management realized Cyberspace would make their high-paying and mostly effortless jobs obsolete.

By late 2022, ZOVID is well under control, but the world seems teetering on the edge of all-out collapse. Rumors persist among astronomy fans that the space colonies found ways to survive, and the Martian colonies are claimed to even be building a huge warship for purposes unknown.

The world has been in tough times before. WWII, the Cyberpunk 80s, the Dark Age of Metapowers, 9/11, the Great Regression. None match the danger faced by the world in the New 20s, but then, none were brought together by the threat of a common enemy like ZOVID and King Card have done, and none have had the decades of historical experience in the role of metapowers in protecting the world. Perhaps in time, a new generation of heroes can lead the world into a brighter future.

Hi! This is an idea known either as Metapowers or the Novel Comics Multiverse. The complete list of "primary layer" inspirations are Marvel Comics and the MCU, DC Comics, Sentinel Comics (which is actually a fictional comic book company that doubles as the setting for the Sentinels of the Multiverse TCG and the Sentinel Comics RPG), The Powerpuff Girls, the Big Hero 6 movie, Kid Cosmic and the Sonic Courage, Please Don't Tell My Parents I'm a Supervillain, Soon I Will Be Invincible, Narbonic and P.S. 238, but the "secondary layer" inspirations are divided by the time period in the setting's fictional history and the retro-futurism those periods saw in real life.

This is half an "Interest Check", half an actual signup. If you can't think of a character yet, just post that you're interested and I'll wait until you've put something together to start the RP.

Like Sentinel Comics, Novel Comics is a fictional (and extradimensional) comic book publisher who records the story of the RP in its comics. In the last 15 years they've rebooted their entire multiverse with the Novel Comics Cinematic Universe, which does have an accompanying comic book shared universe but bases the majority of its revenue on self-contained movies about singular events in the Novel Comics canon.

I spent several days fleshing out the setting to an insane degree, and MisterEightySix has spent another several days editing it. The setting now has an extensive history going back to the 19th century (earlier if you count proto-superheroes, Geniuses, various magic users and mythological entities), but - other than a few token NPC superheroes and supervillains - I've left out actual characters so that you (yes, YOU!) can populate it with characters that have backstories going back as far back as you want. Just keep in mind that this setting's immortality-induced "comic book aging" only goes back to the 1800s unless your character is a demigod or vampire or something. (Information on Ambrose, the substance that causes this phenomenon, can be found in the lore thread in the description of the Brass Age, as well as in the profiles of Dr. Eternity and Desmond Bates in the character thread.)

First, a word of warning: Superheroes have always been political in one way or another depending on the era, so it's okay for your characters to have political opinions and even political motivations, but if in-character banter turns into player-on-player bickering, you're going too far and I'll be leaving the response to that disruptive behavior up to the moderators. My personal views (and the views of my co-GM) lie in the middle of a lot of extremes, with some degree of liberal bias, but... let's just say there's a reason the list of antagonists in this RP includes both white supremacists like Mr. Whittier or the Preacher and misandrist self-proclaimed "feminists" like Lioness or Ashen Witch.

Aside from Laika (the Soviet space dog, who is sort of a legacy character from an earlier incarnation of Metapowers), all characters in the setting must be fictional. That means nobody can use a real historical figure (though obscure historical figures can be given lazy name changes like "Henry Dreyfuss" --> "Dreyfus Henryson"), and nobody is allowed to use a fictional character that they don't own the copyright to. While you can create characters based on people you know IRL (including self-inserts), it's probably a bad idea to have your characters live where you currently live, and giving them the names of the real people they're based on is also not allowed. On the other hand, all locations must use real names - no Gotham City or Angel Grove here.

Here's what you need to know to create a contemporary rookie superhero/supervillain without reading the full history of the NCCU (Timeline One):
    1. Superheroes and military forces can travel long distances very quickly by using computers and the internet (or rather, Cyberspace and the Metaverse) as teleporters. This is to give the RP a global scale.
    2. Space colonies on the Moon, Venus and Mars have existed since the 1970s. However, the world lost contact with them in December of 2008 when global financial collapse and the subsequent in-universe "Great Regression" made the world's governments completely unable to provide them with any funding or resources. The colonies are considered lost for now, but the truth is less grim and a lot more entertaining. You'll have to wait and see.
    3. Spectator sports are treated very differently. See "Sports and Supers" in the lore thread if you intend to mention them.
    4. Gods are known to exist, so the word atheist instead means people who don't believe in afterlives or astral planes.
    5. The world runs on "Comic Book Time", where characters don't age to keep the stories modern. The existence of Ambrose and other methods of gaining immortality (both biological and absolute) mean that this also includes characters who otherwise have no powers.
    6. The RP always takes place in the current year, even when that doesn't sync with the characters' perceived passage of time, and yes, even when some of the characters have traveled to a different time period. Technology and world events may progress faster in the story as a result.
    7. You are required to read "Current Events of the NCCU: 2019-2022" (see the beginning of this post, or in the lore thread), which describes the present day in the setting, but don't worry, it's short.
    8. Player characters who become superheroes/supervillains must have a reasonable "power level"; see levels 0 through 4 of the TV Tropes Super Weight scale, and also make sure to read how the Super Weight scale works because there's a reason "Did You Just Punch Out Cthulhu?" is a thing.

Keep in mind that, although people in the setting have died in the past, and though there have been some very dark time periods based on either real life events or trends in fiction at the time (including the Ages of Comic Books in particular), the setting is supposed to be optimistic from the start of the RP onwards. Not every battle has to have a happy ending, but there should be no meaningless death of innocents (especially kids - I am very firm on this!) and any Big Damn Crisis War Crossover Events should end with the world being saved (and not just as a Pyrrhic victory). Obviously, as one of the GMs, I play a big part in enforcing that, but please don't try to defy it to the point that a retcon has to be made. To be fair, multiple afterlives (called astral planes) exist as the homes of the departed, at least one for each continent and one for the oceans, but these are undetectable by scientific instruments (including those made by Geniuses, with the sole exception of a few long since scrapped devices the Preacher made) and thus considered myth by most modern humans.

Characters with tragic backstories are allowed, but characters whose personality or actions can be summed up as "edgy for the sake of edgy" are not allowed, and will result in you being kicked out. That means things like:
    -Teleporting behind other people's characters to kill them before they get an opportunity to respond,
    -Redirecting a space laser from a big city to their own hometown because "nobody there loved me",
    -Sacrificing innocent people to save their love interest without even considering trying to find another way, or
    -Otherwise doing something to another person's character or a non-powered NPC which is blatantly unfair, permanently debilitating, and/or needlessly cruel.

Aside from that, while you can't use a copyrighted character you don't own, you can create a character that is clearly based on your favorite fictional character or whatever character or historical figure has caught your imagination. As long as the resulting character complies with everything above, go wild!

If you need help thinking of a character concept that isn't just your favorite hero under another name, try inverting the details of some of that character's key traits or backstory events. See the character thread for examples.

Last thing: You can create up to two main characters (two heroes, or a hero and sidekick, or anything you can think of), three secondary characters (friends, their boss, a love interest... or two... ...etc.), and as many members of your main characters' Rogues Gallery (list of arch-nemeses and arch-rivals) as you can think of. However, both main characters must have backstories, and you can only control one member of their combined Rogues Galleries per story arc.

Last edited:
    Bump #2
  • Bump!

This will be the last bump, since nobody seems to be interested in any way (I'm assuming Squad141 decided to join one of the other superhero RPs...) unless someone expresses a desire to take part.

The only reason it's been so long since the last bump is because MisterEightySix and I both caught a really bad cold/flu/??? and decided to wait it out, which took until just before Christmas.

Anyway, if you're interested, please say so and create a character by midnight on January 8. If not, me and EightySix will have to discuss whether to play the RP alone and hope someone is impressed enough to join, or to come up with another concept and try again.

Illness Explained
  • Hey, everyone! Sorry I haven't responded in a few days, and that I can't respond tonight either.

The RP will still be happening, but I have to postpone the start date by a week (January 15, instead of January 8). The cough from my otherwise defeated cold is back with a vengeance. I'm coughing so violently that my diaphragm is forcing everything out of my stomach when I cough while trying to eat, when I get our roommate's dog's hair in my mouth or even just when enough phlegm builds up in my lungs. This means I can't keep down food or even my medications (some of which are essential for my mood, and some of which are even essential for treating my diabetes before it gets bad enough that I won't be able to eat sugar) and I need to try and rest in the hopes it stops. If it doesn't, I guess I'm lucky Canada has taxpayer-funded healthcare because this feels serious enough for a hospital visit already and definitely warrants one if it continues.

Also, don't worry about deadlines. My previous post about Jan 8 no longer being a deadline still applies, Jan 15 is just the start of the RP and not a cutoff date.

Hope to see you all soon!

Epiphany's Regards
  • Rest up and feel better! RL > RP as always.

When you have an opportunity, you might consider creating an OOC thread to complement the Character Sheet and Lore threads you have. It'll give folks a chance to start talking shop around who's doing what for niches, how we might know each other, etc. Good team building and all that. ;)

Alternatively, a lot of folks turn to Discord servers for OOC conversation so if you have one you'd like to invite folks to, feel free!

2023/01/04 - Update
  • Rest up and feel better! RL > RP as always.

Feeling a lot better but I'll have to see if it holds. Thanks!

When you have an opportunity, you might consider creating an OOC thread to complement the Character Sheet and Lore threads you have. It'll give folks a chance to start talking shop around who's doing what for niches, how we might know each other, etc. Good team building and all that. ;)

Alternatively, a lot of folks turn to Discord servers for OOC conversation so if you have one you'd like to invite folks to, feel free!

Done. Here's the OOC thread!

I would have, but I exclusively use Guilded (a near-identical competitor to Discord) ever since the company behind Discord literally gave all their user data to Tencent (their parent company apparently?) who in turn was taking that info specifically under order of, and to hand over to, the CCP. The CCP literally has all my Discord data from before I ditched Discord entirely, and I don't intend to give them any more.

Update: I have now posted my two main characters in the character page!

Looks like mine is finished as well.

Thanks! Me and MisterEightySix are going through them right now.

2023/01/08 - Update
  • Hey, everyone! Sorry I haven't responded in a few days, and that I can't respond tonight either.

The RP will still be happening, but I have to postpone the start date by a week (January 15, instead of January 8). The cough from my otherwise defeated cold is back with a vengeance. I'm coughing so violently that my diaphragm is forcing everything out of my stomach when I cough while trying to eat, when I get our roommate's dog's hair in my mouth or even just when enough phlegm builds up in my lungs. This means I can't keep down food or even my medications (some of which are essential for my mood, and some of which are even essential for treating my diabetes before it gets bad enough that I won't be able to eat sugar) and I need to try and rest in the hopes it stops. If it doesn't, I guess I'm lucky Canada has taxpayer-funded healthcare because this feels serious enough for a hospital visit already and definitely warrants one if it continues.

Also, don't worry about deadlines. My previous post about Jan 8 no longer being a deadline still applies, Jan 15 is just the start of the RP and not a cutoff date.

Hope to see you all soon!

So, looks like we'll (officially) start on the 15th of January. I still plan to post the first post today, and you're free to respond before the 15th, but I won't be able to give 100% until the 15th as I'm still feeling the effects of whatever I got in December.

At the very least, I'm actually doing really good. The cough has completely disappeared, even when I have to go out in the cold, and the more miserable symptoms were already gone when I posted on the 3rd of January. The only remaining problem is a weird one, a stomach that constantly feels "full" and causes me to burp way more than is reasonable. It's a little worse than it sounds, if I don't swallow air every ~30 seconds to force myself to burp, it gets a bit painful and the end result of continuing to ignore it is nausea followed by vomiting. MisterEightySix says he had the same thing just before he was finally rid of this bug.

Stay tuned for that early post, I'll start on it immediately after supper.

Last edited:
    Squad141 - Concern Expressed
  • So, looks like we'll (officially) start on the 15th of January. I still plan to post the first post today, and you're free to respond before the 15th, but I won't be able to give 100% until the 15th as I'm still feeling the effects of whatever I got in December.

At the very least, I'm actually doing really good. The cough has completely disappeared, even when I have to go out in the cold, and the more miserable symptoms were already gone when I posted on the 3rd of January. The only remaining problem is a weird one, a stomach that constantly feels "full" and causes me to burp way more than is reasonable. It's a little worse than it sounds, if I don't swallow air every ~30 seconds to force myself to burp, it gets a bit painful and the end result of continuing to ignore it is nausea followed by vomiting. MisterEightySix says he had the same thing just before he was finally rid of this bug.

Stay tuned for that early post, I'll start on it immediately after supper.
    Been a while since we heard from you, so I hope you’re doing alright!

Squad141 - Alleviating Concerns
  • Been a while since we heard from you, so I hope you’re doing alright!

Yup! I suppose I owe you all an explanation...

I got distracted looking at TV Tropes on the 8th. I knew that was a possibility but sadly I needed it to begin writing my post to start the RP. By the time I was done, it was just after midnight and I had a doctor's appointment in the morning. Due to a shortage of health care workers in Canada, there's a fee and an enforced waiting period of about a month before you can schedule for a health care checkup if you miss it (unless there's actual extenuating circumstances).

There was extenuating circumstances. I woke myself up on the morning of the 9th by somehow pulling my calf muscle in my sleep, which was so painful that I had to shout for help until my dad came downstairs, making it impossible for me to walk. We rescheduled the doctor's appointment, and I had to be helped upstairs (my room is on the partly-basement lower floor) and trade beds with my mom for the past few days while my leg heals.

I was going to post on the 10th, but on the 9th I came up with an idea for a writing project that, honestly, has been one of the best ideas I've had in years from the get-go. Normally even then I would dismiss it, since I often get bursts of inspiration about a potentially amazing story that I know I won't really enjoy making in practice, and even if I enjoyed them all, my time is finite. Most importantly, all of those ideas were just the overarching plot and the theme or message. In this case, the moment the basic idea came into my head, ideas about how to implement it came down like a waterfall.

I started writing on the morning of the 9th, and while it's far from a complete story (huge gaps that are like short time skips but actually just because I couldn't think of what to put there and didn't really want to bother with while inspiration toward other ideas was still there, plus it's really just parts of the first two or three chapters), including breaks for food and going to sleep on the night of the 9th, it took until early this morning for me to get down both all the ideas I had in the initial burst of inspiration and all the additional ideas that resulted from actually getting everything down. Then I had to, you know, sleep last night. I'm just glad it didn't take me two weeks to do it like the worldbuilding for this RP, or I'd owe you all a severe apology.

With that said, I'm fully rested and totally free of obligations and unwellness, and will immediately start writing the first post. Thanks for waiting and sorry for the trouble, and as for Naril...

I've got a couple of ideas rolling around, I'll see if one of them will germinate!

Go ahead! Don't worry about the RP starting already, you can join in at any time while it's in progress and I'm probably not going to earnestly push the first story arc forward until the 15th. I'm honestly excited to see what you come up with!

Last edited:
    Squad141 - Concerns Addressed
  • Yup! I suppose I owe you all an explanation...

I got distracted looking at TV Tropes on the 8th. I knew that was a possibility but sadly I needed it to begin writing my post to start the RP. By the time I was done, it was just after midnight and I had a doctor's appointment in the morning. Due to a shortage of health care workers in Canada, there's a fee and an enforced waiting period of about a month before you can schedule for a health care checkup if you miss it (unless there's actual extenuating circumstances).

There was extenuating circumstances. I woke myself up on the morning of the 9th by somehow pulling my calf muscle in my sleep, which was so painful that I had to shout for help until my dad came downstairs, making it impossible for me to walk. We rescheduled the doctor's appointment, and I had to be helped upstairs (my room is on the partly-basement lower floor) and trade beds with my mom for the past few days while my leg heals.

I was going to post on the 10th, but on the 9th I came up with an idea for a writing project that, honestly, has been one of the best ideas I've had in years from the get-go. Normally even then I would dismiss it, since I often get bursts of inspiration about a potentially amazing story that I know I won't really enjoy making in practice, and even if I enjoyed them all, my time is finite. Most importantly, all of those ideas were just the overarching plot and the theme or message. In this case, the moment the basic idea came into my head, ideas about how to implement it came down like a waterfall.

I started writing on the morning of the 9th, and while it's far from a complete story (huge gaps that are like short time skips but actually just because I couldn't think of what to put there and didn't really want to bother with while inspiration toward other ideas was still there, plus it's really just parts of the first two or three chapters), including breaks for food and going to sleep on the night of the 9th, it took until early this morning for me to get down both all the ideas I had in the initial burst of inspiration and all the additional ideas that resulted from actually getting everything down. Then I had to, you know, sleep last night. I'm just glad it didn't take me two weeks to do it like the worldbuilding for this RP, or I'd owe you all a severe apology.

With that said, I'm fully rested and totally free of obligations and unwellness, and will immediately start writing the first post. Thanks for waiting and sorry for the trouble, and as for Naril...

Go ahead! Don't worry about the RP starting already, you can join in at any time while it's in progress and I'm probably not going to earnestly push the first story arc forward until the 15th. I'm honestly excited to see what you come up with!
    Hey, no trouble at all! Just wanted to make sure everything was alright after the post about your illness, glad you're feeling better.

myrkwise - Encouragement
  • Yup! I suppose I owe you all an explanation...

No worries! Sounds good. Excited to get started with these characters.

Squad141 - Interest Expressed
  • As a fan of alternate histories, you really went all out for this. I’m interested, but I’ll wait to post a character for the moment

Epiphany's Questions #1
  • It's a fascinating premise and you've clearly put a lot of work into your setting. Can you tell me a little more about what the Cosmic Code entails for a modern day superhero in 2022? I'm also curious what sort of regulatory bodies or agencies exist to track what superheroes do, enforce the code, and/or deal with super villains.

Your pitch mentioned wanting the town for this game to be optimistic. But I'm conscious that this game has psionic dogs, moving Statues of Liberty, and a protagonist with cartoon powers. Are you wanting something a bit more slapstick and whimsical in terms of the characters who participate?

How do you envision player characters coming together? Are they all working on a team together, organized by someone? What is going to keep the group together?

Epiphany's Answers #1
  • It's a fascinating premise and you've clearly put a lot of work into your setting.

Thanks! I'll do my best to answer your questions.

Can you tell me a little more about what the Cosmic Code entails for a modern day superhero in 2022? I'm also curious what sort of regulatory bodies or agencies exist to track what superheroes do, enforce the code, and/or deal with super villains.

In and of itself, the Cosmic Code means absolutely nothing in 2022. It's a reference to the real life Comics Code Authority, which originally forced superhero comics to have white superheroes (a bad thing) but at least did not ban non-white supporting characters, and is also the reason that superheroes were forced to be so morally perfect, up until the late 70s, among other things. The Code was changed in the late 1970s and again in the late 1980s, and was finally disbanded in 2011 due to the US Government recognizing that times had changed and - even if they hadn't - the Comics Code was unconstitutional (preventing free speech) from the beginning.

In-universe, the Cosmic Code was a response to large numbers of new supervillains in the 1950s. While it wasn't successful in its original intent of making supervillains criminals to be arrested on sight like any other petty criminal, it did force supervillains - who used to build evil fortresses disguised as mansions in even wealthy and orderly nations before the Code - to go underground and basically become part of organized crime, which significantly hampered their operations and forced supervillains to compete with even scarier and more ruthless groups like, y'know, the Mafia.

It also meant that superheroes from the 50s onward had to actually be, or a least appear to be, heroes. As you can guess, this RP is supposed to be optimistic but also realistic, and in any realistic sense it is all too easy for people with the powers of a demi-god to start thinking they're above the law. The Cosmic Code made that both unacceptable and legally prosecutable. Even now that the Code is gone, the standards it set in society for the behavior of superheroes and Geniuses remain both in international law and in the minds of the average person.

At present, misdeeds by superheroes are tracked by multiple Intelligence agencies (usually the Central Intelligence Agency of the USA, Military Intelligence Section-6 of the UK, and the Ministry of State Security in Mainland China) who tend to arrest corrupt heroes in their respective countries, as well as Interpol which tends to arrest superheroes in countries that aren't as influential as the USA, UK or PRC.

In the USA, the CIA arrests corrupt heroes, but they are sentenced by the US Supreme Court and kept imprisoned by the US Navy Anomaly Detainment Corps (a.k.a the ADC, which is fictional but based off of the real life US Air Force Office of Special Investigations - a.k.a the Men in Black, who IRL are actually responsible for spreading the false rumors that things like Project Mogul or the SR-71 Blackbird were alien spacecraft, go figure - as well as fictional MIB-type agencies like SHIELD, the Federal Bureau of Control, and - pretty obviously - the very NSFW creepypasta shared universe of the SCP Foundation). While the ADC's metapower detainment branch doesn't allow in-person visitation, their tailor-made prison cells do include a purpose-chosen communication method that the prisoner can't abuse but can use to talk to their lawyer and anyone who would normally be granted visitation rights.

Interpol refers arrested individuals to courts that usually gives lighter sentences than the US Supreme Court, but if a crime involves murder, manslaughter, sexual assault, human trafficking, slavery, unlawful imprisonment or kidnapping (not to mention genocide or torture), it's considered an actual war crime and prosecuted in Nuremberg as such. Most of those sentenced to death in Nuremberg for metapowered war crimes were supervillains, but a few infamous corrupt heroes are also among the roster.

Aside from that, while the Cosmic Code is no longer in effect, one former part of it is still active; To be a superhero, and not just a vigilante, you have to register with your local police jurisdiction. During most of the Cosmic Code's existence, you had to register with local police in every jurisdiction you would be active in. However, since the 80s a near-global computer database that few countries opt out of has been implemented, ensuring that superheroes in 2022/2023 can go almost anywhere and still be legally sanctioned - to a degree.

It's good practice to limit your actions to Search & Rescue, non-lethal defense of innocents, preventing natural disasters (or at least potentially-resulting deaths), and services like EMT, First Aid or Fire Rescue while in a foreign country, since the native police are the only ones fully legally sanctioned to investigate and charge/arrest people for crimes. A superhero trying to act like police in a foreign country can get themselves arrested and sent to a jail or worse in said foreign nation even with the best and clearest of intentions and the best and clearest of circumstances. That said, if you are unable to save an innocent life without taking the life of someone trying to commit a crime against that innocent person, the best course of action is to not resist arrest and to tell the truth when being questioned (provided the cops are acting in good faith themselves when questioning you). Even if you're in a country with a horribly corrupt justice system, in the NCCU any traveler can plea to international courts if the country they're in has a history of human rights abuses, and regardless of whether or not you're a metapowered person it's generally a cause of concern if a country tries to imprison someone for defending someone from a potential murderer.

Sorry that all this wasn't included in the lore section, I was hoping it would be easy enough to drop in tidbits as the RP needed them, but clearly you're correct to question whether that's a good strategy. Also, sorry that all this is such a wall of text.

Your pitch mentioned wanting the town tone(?) for this game to be optimistic. But I'm conscious that this game has psionic dogs, moving Statues of Liberty, and a protagonist with cartoon powers. Are you wanting something a bit more slapstick and whimsical in terms of the characters who participate?

Not necessarily. That's up to each player. My character (Gadg8eer) will have a degree of whimsy to him but his adventures and the way things affect his hero form will be more like an early-00s action cartoon than something like Looney Tunes, while MisterEightySix's character (Masterstroke) will be treated more like an episode of Batman Beyond (in terms of action) or Person of Interest (in terms of social interaction).

I'm going to ask each player how they want their character to interact with the world before starting the RP for exactly this reason.

How do you envision player characters coming together? Are they all working on a team together, organized by someone? What is going to keep the group together?

The idea was to gently steer everyone into teaming up, at first on a loose basis but later by forming an official team. At first, it'll be a loose connection, with everyone just strongly encouraged to respond to the same crisis. After two or three such events, they'll decide to form an official team.

If someone resisted this, either by showing a desire to sometimes have their character handle another problem, or by their character saying "I work alone" when the discussion of forming a team comes up (I'd assume someone's character would just say "I work alone" or similar if this was the case), I'll ask them in OOC if they'd prefer to be a de facto team member rather than an official one, so that they can keep doing what they do best while still having a place in the RP. It's only if the character proves to be completely independent that we'd have to figure out what they're really after as a player and whether they'd like to choose to leave the RP out of lack of enjoyment.

Railroading for the sake of preserving a plot feels petty to me. If I wanted to make sure the complex plot I came up with was unbreakable unless followed exactly, well, I'm also a writer so I would have made this setting into a book or even the world of an entire novel series instead of trying to cram my oh-so-clever ideas down your throats.

In short, there will be an official team, but what keeps the group together is facing the same plot hooks on a meta level rather than an in-story obligation to the team proper. Don't worry too much, I may not have much DM experience but I've done research on how to be a GM and - more importantly - care more about everyone's enjoyment than looking like I'm a genius for ripping off of comic book plots or daily headlines.

Also, thanks for getting me to think about this particular question, it's probably prevented any serious issues between me and the players popping up! ^_^

Epiphany's Questions #2
  • Super helpful answers. Thank you!

Your character creation section has some nice guidelines around what you're looking for. Is there an ideal age or level of experience you're looking for, in terms of this nascent team's membership?

Epiphany's Answers #2
  • Super helpful answers. Thank you!

No problem!

Your character creation section has some nice guidelines around what you're looking for. Is there an ideal age or level of experience you're looking for, in terms of this nascent team's membership?

Nope! Feel free to create almost anything, unless it's against the character creation rules, super-broken OP, or contradicts the lore (the latter of which can usually be easily corrected with some sort of alternate timeline shenanigans) we'll almost certainly approve your characters!

Last edited:
    Epiphany's Characters - Fixes Implemented
  • Looks good! Just one minor thing, which I had to add to the first post of this topic when I spotted it in her profile.

Can you rename "Tencent" and any other real corporations I didn't catch for the sake of consistency? It's not as important as the rules about charities or religious groups, but it does feel awkward that every other corporation in the lore is fake.

Other than that, you're good to go, although I would recommend that if one of her duplicates dies, their soul waits in stasis in a special astral plane for all versions of her to die so they can eventually reunite. Otherwise it would probably make the question of what Bryony's soul (or at least the consciousness that results from her personality and free will) is going through with all these duplications very uncomfortable (in ways you didn't already mention).

Made the updates. You might consider creating an OOC thread if you'd prefer to keep the Character thread focused on the sheets themselves.

I'd given no thought at all to the spiritual implications of Effigy's powers, so props for coming up with that! If it's something you'd like defined, I'm all for the collective Bryonys not 'moving on' until they all do (because she certainly started as one person, she'll presumably end as one). Of course, that doesn't mean *she* knows that.

I am officially in, then! I'll have to re-read most of the lore and get a character concept going. Will there be a character thread, Gadg8eer Gadg8eer ?

Nice to have you! Try Thread 'Novel Comics Cinematic Universe: Characters' Futuristic - Novel Comics Cinematic Universe: Characters

Dannigan Getting Invited
  • Purr Purr Hey old buddy. I've only known you to play dice RPs. But the premise, in the interest check and in the setting Lore, gives me a vibe that I think you might be up for. Give it a read, see what you think. :)

Dannigan - Unable to Join
  • Purr Purr Hey old buddy. I've only known you to play dice RPs. But the premise, in the interest check and in the setting Lore, gives me a vibe that I think you might be up for. Give it a read, see what you think. :)
    Epiphany Epiphany Heya Pips! I am at my limit for games (which is a happy thing to have except that it means I have to turn down new offers to roleplay). Hope everyone here has a great time! =)

Honor and fun,
    Dann =)

P.S. Oh! And Happy New Year everybody! =)

Response to Dannigan
  • Epiphany Epiphany Heya Pips! I am at my limit for games (which is a happy thing to have except that it means I have to turn down new offers to roleplay). Hope everyone here has a great time! =)

Honor and fun,
    Dann =)

P.S. Oh! And Happy New Year everybody! =)

Feel free to join at a later date! The January 8 deadline was just because nobody had created any characters except my co-GM and me at the time of writing. Epiphany's already created a character, and both RanRed and Squad141 have shown interest, so as long as we can keep player interest now that we have at least one player, the RP will allow for signups at all times unless it becomes clear we (the GMs) can't handle any more players joining.

Back